90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Enjoyed this beer @ Dogfish head Alehouse in Gaithersburg

A: Pours a pale-orangish head with a one-finger, creamy, white head that lingers for a while.

S: Wow – strong hops hits you like a punch to the face.

T: Very strong hoppy flavor fills you mouth at first. An interesting aggressive blend of malts and hops. Tastes of caramels, coconuts, pine, and oils. The alcohol is present here – but it is blended in perfectly with the hops and malts. This beer is in great balance.

M: Full and rich body and medium carbonation.

O: A great imperial IPA. Enjoyed this one from first sip to last.

3.13/5  rDev -26.9%

Appearance:

Orange-copper-to red from bottom to the top of the glass. Thin small head quickly disappeared so dont blink. Lots of bubbles floated to the top

Smell:

Herbal and grassy hops with a heavy caramel malt aroma present

Taste:

Moderate bitterness hits up front. Grassy hops are detected followed by a balance of sweet malt. Doesnt at all taste like a hop-centric DIPA

Mouthfeel:

Fairly heavy body with a low to moderate carbonation level. A bit of spice and alcohol burn is left on the tongue

Overall:

Decent. I was expecting much more bitterness as the label boasts about the 90 min hop additions and dry hopping etc. Head stability was lacking a bit and it was a little too sweet for a DIPA in my opinion

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Def one of my favorite beers. Typically i dont review them due to lack of time but apparently after almost 3 years on this sight and many of trades i need more beer karma to trade beer(crazy in my opinion). Anyway beer poured into a Dogfish head glass with a small head great smell and drinks wonderfully. By far one of if not there best beer!!!!

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

A - an aggressive pour became too aggressive very quickly as an enormous head formed. Tons of lacing left on the upper glass by the couple inches of foam.
S - slight citrus/pine notes, but not as aromatic as I would've hoped for.
T - the taste is way less hoppy than I would like. I realize the perceived bitterness isn't going to be real high, but it seems way more malty than I remember, especially since it was bottled 4/10/11. Taste is somewhat sweet with a touch of bitterness on the back end.
M - I really enjoy this part of 90 min. Almost creamy, and very smooth. The type of beer I could drink a few of in a row for sure.
O - this is one of those beers that I really enjoy from time to time, and can even go multiples in a session, but it isn't on the daily menu. Even after seeing this fresh of a 4 pack at my local shop, I only bought one bottle. Perhaps a bit overpriced, especially for a year-round, but well worth it every time and again.

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

12oz bottle (bottled on 3/9/11) poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass. Haven't had this one in a long time - will be interesting to see if it lives up to my distant memories.

A - An aggressive pour that was curtailed just in time for the glass to contain the full contents of liquid and head yields a crystal clear pale amber color with about 3 fingers of fluffy, dense off white foam. Staying power is good - the foam very slowly dies over several minutes and leaves loads of sticky spiderwebbed lacing on the glass.

S - Good amount of hops here...but not as much as I'd expected or hoped for. Combination of hop aromas are there though - mostly citrusy with good grapefruit notes and some pineapple mixed in with a touch of pine also. I'm really noticing an overall earthines to this beer. Lots of dirt-like aromas come thru, giving a bit of a dry aroma mixed with some bready and biscuity aspects mixed in. Wanted to get blown away with hop aroma, but didn't - still a good smelling beer.

T - Sweet, malty, caramelly at the base. Tropical fruits layered on top with pineapple taking the lead and followed by the grapefruit.
Sugary, maltose sweetness, caramel and toffee from beginning to end. Hop bitterness really doesn't appear with any force until pretty much the swallow but comes and goes quickly. The sweetness of this one is a bit on the cloying side and has a bit of a honey-like aspect, but more than anything gives the maltose based under-attenuated flavor (think sampling a big DIPA wort before being fermented - exaggerated a bit) with lots of residual sugars left behind.

M - Medium/full bodied with a somewhat light and creamy carbonation. Overall sweetness, but certainly no lack of hops - East coast IPA balanced.

O - Still good, but doesn't quite live up to the memories. I prefer the more hop forward/hop bomb DIPA's in the west coast style. This is still pretty damn good, but can't quite live up to my hopes and dreams for what it could be.

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

A- Golden color w/ an off white head that disappears quickly. Lacing and carbonation are fairly weak. I'm wondering if this is an older bottle.

S- Very bitter, w/ fruit coming through and some malt.

T- Definitely hops w/ fruit, malt coming through. Alcohol is not completely masked, but I actually enjoy that. Not as smooth as on draft.

M- Bitter, w/ a slight smoothness that comes through. Slight alcohol burn as well. This is the weak point of this beer for me.

O- Good solid beer. Not quite in the top tier of IPA's, but a good brew nonetheless. I actually like this one WAY better on draft than out of the bottle.

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

A - Nice thick head of white. Bright and clear amber, very nice and inviting.

S - Very hoppy. A perfumy hint mixed with some floral and citrus scents.

T - Again, very hoppy. The hops dominate the flavor, a bit much in my opinion.

M - Medium carbonation and smooth taste. Easy to drink (beware 9% ABV). Hops.

Summary - I wouldn’t say this was my favorite of the Dogfish Head brand. Personally, I prefer the 60 Minute variant over this (less hoppy, more even taste). Having said that, I had this beer recommended to me while trying the fish and chips at the Holy Grail Pub in Plano, and I must say that it was a terrific combo. Having anything (like the tartar sauce) to even out the overload of hops significantly helps.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Here's my disclaimer - I'm not a hophead and prefer a good creamy breakfast or milk stout. I've had Hop Devil and Stone Ruination a few years ago and I think I still am tasting the hops.

On to this 90 min IPA...

Poured it into a Sam Adams glass a nice golden, amber, orange hued and lightly hazy color. It gave a 1 inch off white creamy head which produced nice lacing throughout.

I was expecting a piney crisp nose. What I got was a sweet butterscotch and some light tangerine. I was starting to think I was in for something different.

It had an interesting hoppy sweetness. Citrus, creamy, caramel butter popcorn? The hops were very much there but very well integrated into the flavor profile. I got a little hop bitter on the side of the tongue, but no more (and maybe less) than a good Russian Stout. Nice long finish where the hops hung around as the rest faded. I can't believe it's 9% ABV - it wasn't at all noticeable.

Great rich, velvety, creamy in the mouth and great balance.

This is very drinkable and I will get this again. Great beer which will bring me back to IPAs and I will use this to judge others by.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a moderately hazy burnt amber color. There is a lot of visible carbonation and a just off-white head with solid retention. Fairly thick layered lacing

S: Smells of warm tropical fruits and citrus hops. There is a light pine/herbal scent behind this that is balanced by some caramel malt.

T: The taste is less fruity than the smell but still very hoppy. The pine flavor comes through much more strongly here than it does in the smell. The citrus flavor persists though it’s hard to taste most of the other tropical fruits from the smell. What surprises me most is the strength of the malt flavor. This might be the most malty IPA I’ve ever had. It balances the hops really well.

M: The mouthfeel is fairly thin with a decent amount of carbonation. I can feel the alcohol but it’s moderate.

O: One of the most balanced IPA’s I’ve ever had. The caramel malts make the potent hops flavor very drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours out of 12 oz bottle into a cloudy glowing copper colored beer with a creamy white head that laces well and appropriate carbonation for this style.

One of my favorite IPAs for sure. And also one of the most drinkable IPAs i have yet to consume.

Smells of malts, citrusy hops, and alcohol. The smell is intense, as if to suggest lots of booze, but the booze isnt very apparent on the taste.

The taste is exceedingly well blended. the balance of citrus hops and booze and malts is striking, and almost refreshing.

The mouthfeel is boisterous, but in a very pleasing way.

This is such a great beer and im glad its very widely available. One of the few IPAs i get excited about drinking.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Smells of rich fruity malts, citrusy hops, alcohol, and grain. This smells potent.

Taste is a very well blended balance of citrusy and earthy hops much better than most American IPAs. Most American IPAs will have dish soap citrusy taste but this eliminates that. After the hop blast a delicious fruited bread taste and grains. It finishes out with a hoppy citrus blast in the back booyah!

Mouthfeel is hop assertive, astringent, and drying.

Overall this is a tasty brew, I like it, I would recommend it to friends and I would gladly stock my fridge with it as a regular beer.

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Enjoyed two with my BA bro, y2korey. One was fresh and the other from 2009. Both were delicious; however, the 2009 was phenomenal. The aged 90 min. was a lot smoother and reminiscent of barleywines. Their look was similar in color, but the nose and mouthfeel were almost completely different. Overall, both were worthy Dogfish Head's stamp of approval...(and ours)

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Clear golden, with a rich, white head. Thick but unremarkable lace pattern.

Aroma is amazing -- thick, chewy, resinous pine and astringent grapefruit hops. Strong, and oh-so-alluring!

Flavor is sour grapefruit...again, strong. Distinctive. A real kicker here, and a damned fine IPA. It's a potent 9%, so beware of this one, as it always seems to switch the lights out for me.

Regardless, I will be enjoying this again in the future, definitely.

3.85/5  rDev -10%

on tap at tria in philly

Pours a brilliant burnt orange color with bright golden and cherry hues. A thinner beige head fades slowly leaving curtains of lacing on the glass.

Scents of pungent hops with intense citrus and peel. Piny resin and some richer caramel sweetness. Scents of booze as well.

Strong hoppiness right up front with pine and citrus which come together nicely. Bitter with biting grapefruit and resiny stickiness. Some fruit sweetness on top of a heavier malted backbone with toasted bread and caramel. Finishes with a strong hit of alcohol and bitter, lingering hops.

Medium bodied, decent carbonation, dry and lingering on the tongue, slight creaminess at points. I've always enjoyed this beer but I wish the alcohol was masked a little better.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

11.16.09 bottle poured in a snifter

(A) Butterscotch and honey colored pour. Slight haze to it, but far from opaque. Great head retention and starts with a half inch, fluffy off white head to it.

(S) Smells a little of weak sweet honey, some ale yeast, and of course, hops. The light malts give it a lighter nose. Has a slight spicy and floral smell to it.

(T) The taste is sweet with a sugary, caramel flavor that starts mid taste and follows through to the end. The hops are subdued and faded a decent amount, but not gone. The bitterness is has gone way down.

(M) Still well carbonated. Has that carbonation bite to your tongue. Still a full bodied beer but not overly heavy or chewy.

(O) It's not what you would normally expect from a fresh 90 Min IPA. It drinks more like a weak barley wine. It's quite sweet, but a sugary sweet.

Most people hold on to 120 Minute, but haven't heard much about people aging 90 Minute so I figured why not. Not bad. Got another one of these in the cellar, so it will be interesting to see how this ages for another year.

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Bottled 3 Feb 2011. Not ideal for an IPA, but I don't know much about how well this one holds up over time.

Pours a clear coppery orange with a massive almost-white head that recedes very slowly and leaves a shocking amount of lacing. Gorgeous.

Smell is fruity, floral, citrusy hops all the way. Grapefruit, apricots, and pineapple. Yum. I get no sharpness or alcohol in the nose at all, which is surprising for such a hoppy high-ABV beer.

Taste is good, but not amazing. Not as much in there as I'd expected. Starts out rather malty but without a ton of flavor - a kind of bland wheat with a touch of sweetness - before the hops kick in. The hop flavor, which is primarily citrus, comes in later, and slowly shifts from lemon to grapefruit to a smooth lingering enjoyable bitterness. There's not as much hop potency, and not as much complexity, to the flavor as I'd like. That said, it's still pretty darn tasty.

Mouthfeel is good. Medium-bodied, a little light on the carbonation.

This is a very good beer. I like it. But I find it rather innocuous. I want it to be either bigger, or better, or both. It doesn't bowl me over with hoppiness, and it doesn't impress me with balanced flavors. So I put it above-average. Wonder how much of that has to do with this being a 3-month old bottle. Hoping to try it fresher sometime soon.

Awesome Beer, but hard to find on tap. I usually treat myself to a four pack.
Taster is amazing. It as some depth but goes down quite smooth.
Smell, Hoppy, but still smooth. Smell could turn someone away. THey will have to try and see how smooth it is going down your throat.
ABV= DRUNK!
I LOVE THIS BEER!

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a brown 12oz bottle (no freshness date) into a pint glass. The beer is a hazy orange-copper with what is possibly the greatest head in the history of beer. This foam is thick, but not so thick that you can't get to the beer. It stays around forever, and it sticks to everything. This is an absolutely beautiful beer.

There is a robust amount of oily hops in the smell. The aroma is very herbal and fruity with some hidden malt sweetness.

Thick and smooth. The hop flavor is big from beginning to end. It's oily, earthy and mildly herbal. There is also plenty of biscuit like flavors from the malt in the background, but it's the hops that take the show. This is an exceptional beer with unique hop character from start to finish. This beer does not dissapoint!

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%

First had: on tap at ?

Another good selection from DFH, beefing up the 60 Min. a bit. Pours a clear orange-brown with a nice foamy off-white head, much like it's brother beer, but a bit lighter. Floral aroma, with pine and citrus. Smooth, mild and pleasant on the palate, with the notes of the aroma following right through in the taste. Citrus hops complimented just right with sweet malts, with a little bit of sugar or light caramel taste coming through. Not too strong in the hop department for an imperial IPA. Pleasantly smooth and balanced mouthfeel, and highly drinkable. Arguably comparable with such big names as Pliny the Elder.

3.53/5  rDev -17.5%

A: Possibly the clearest IPA I have seen! Absolutely see-through amber, possibly from the 90 minute boil or just the knockdown times in the fermenter that really give this beer a sexy look. Good head, mild lacing.

S: This maltyness. The citrus and floral are not in full force as I would expect them but they are present.

T: I was disappointed here. Im getting more malt than anything. I want the hops here! The nose is burnt caramel, the middle is thick roast and the finish is boozy.

M: The lack of hops for the style makes the pockets more or less inattentive to the bittering, the boozy aftertaste of the 9% abv is definitely what leaves you.

D: Doesn't hit the mark for the me in the style category. More so because I have heard so much about this brewery through pop-craft beer culture that I expected so much more jazz.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

A- Light amber with crystal clarity and a thin white head with incredible lacing

S- Citrusness and hoppiness are most prevelent, with hints of alcohol that smooth the flavor

T- citrus hoppiness up front, followed by a bitter hoppiness and a solid and smooth malt backbone

M- smooth and clean, definitely leaves and dryness and bitterness in after swallowing. this one fits the expression "takes the enamel off of your teeth.

Notes- For a while this was my favorite beer. looking forward to seeing how it ages over time, but right now, fresh, its hoppy and powerful, great for sipping on a dull afternoon or as a palate-destroyer at the end of a long night.

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottled: 03/03/2011. 12 oz bottle at 42 degrees into a Duvel tulip.

A: It pours a clear red-orange color with a finger and a half of cream-colored head that laces well and slowly recedes into a thin layer of cirrus-like clouds.

S: Pine, floral notes, light citrus, and a little booze. The maltiness isn't very strong in the nose.

T: Caramel malts, mild floral hoppiness, and juicy citrus; it is delicious and the epitome of and East Coast IPA.

M: It has medium body thickness with average carbonation.

O: This is wonderful. It is tough to add a superlative that hasn't already been said about this.

4.28/5  rDev 0%

A: Light brown with a golden tint; clear with a white one-inch head; fairly good retention and lacing is okay

S: Nice balanced hop and malt presence; some sweet bready malts and some citrus, lemon, tea leaf, and grapefruit hop presence; a bit subdued for a DIPA but pleasant enough

T: A bready, slightly burnt malt backbone with a citrus hop bitterness up front--not overly sweet like many DIPAs and quite nicely balanced

F: A great medium bodied beer with pleasant carbonation as well as that oily stickiness that is pleasant in IPAs and DIPAs

D: A really great, balanced DIPA--malt undertones work so well with the hop-forward bitterness

3.48/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

APPEARANCE: Gorgeous beer with strong lacing throughout the entire glass. The color is a crystal clear, copper and a thin, but nice and foamy head rests on top.

SMELL: This was a huge let down for me. It looked sooo good, but there is almost no aroma. That said, no aroma equals no bad aroma, so I can't knock it down to Stella-like levels.

TASTE: Caramel is what came through the strongest for me. Some floral and hoppy notes are detectable as well, but this is a sweet beer.

MOUTHFEEL: An excellent feeling beer, light and tingly and easy-drinking. If I didn't know any better I would have no clue I was drinking a 9%er.

OVERALL: Good beer, but not great. I see why it is the most reviewed beer on BA, though. Interesting and flavorful enough to keep the hopheads happy, but the sweetness makes it more accessible to wider variety of beer drinkers.

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

This is a very interesting, yet deceiving beer. For my taste it is not a traditional Imperial IPA which would provide a citrus smell and more hops but that isn't a bad thing. It's a full bodied beer which relies more heavily on its malts than hops. The end result is more of a dark brown sugar flavor which provides a very enjoyable sweetness. At 9% it’s not for everyone but I enjoy one or two every now and then to fulfill my sweet tooth with this creamy treat.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery