90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Deep orange/caramel color. Medium sized head that laces moderately quickly.

S: Balanced malt with hops hovering in the background. A little frightening actually...you know the hops are there, but they seem to be lurking in the shadows, behind the malt. A little grassy citrus finishes up.

T: Largely malt that is balanced out by spicy citrus hops. A little lacking in the hop-punch, but this is probably because the large malt bill balances them out rather well.

M: Thick, with taste remaining in the mouth.

D: A great brew to have with dinner.

JoeMertens, Apr 04, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Bottled 4 Mar 2010
Consumed 24 Mar 2010

A: Clear orange-tinged hue. Slight effervescence, decent sized head and lacing.

S: Malt, then hops, with very little grapefruit, citrus, pine, etc. I have always thought that this beer is too malt heavy and lacks the classic hop aromas I expect from a DIPA.

T: The beer tastes fine, I suppose, but I always find myself a little underwhelmed when drinking 90 minute IPA. The "balance" of malts and hops heavily favors the malt, and leaves me yearning for that big hop aroma and taste so indicative of the style. I really have to shift my paradigm when I drink 90 minute IPA, and think of it more as a big ale, rather than a DIPA.

M: Sticky and sweet, with a malty and bitter aftertaste.

D: A decent brew, and easy to come by.

Notes: This beer ages rather well, and becomes something completely different. I cellared a case of 90 minute IPA for two years. The beer developed a molasses, caramel sweetness, the hop profile drastically faded, and the beer basically turned into an American Strong Ale. Interesting, if nothing else.

Huhzubendah, Apr 04, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +14%

I'm drinking this right now, out of the bottle. It's said to be the '#1 beer in America'. It's good, even at the price (~$10 4pk), and it was apparently judged to be #1, but I've had IPA's just as good. Avery's, for example.

In any case, a very good brew.

rikjohnson, Apr 04, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- Pours a cloudy amber with a one finger white head that fades relatively quickly, but leaves very nice lacing in the process.

S- Shockingly, I'm not getting a huge aroma. Faint smell of some strong hops, though

T- The strongest taste I'm getting out of this is some bitter pine near the end of the sip. Picking up some citrus too.

M- Theres a little bit of thickness in this. Mostly though, its a thin blast of hops, which is what I like when drinking an IPA.

D- Very drinkable! If you're not a fan of bitter beers, this probably won't work for you, but if you don't mind them, its pretty great. The hit of bitter pine near the end...god, its so refreshing! I've got 60 and 90 out of the way and liked them both...time to see if I can brave 120 and survive!

bigfnjoe, Apr 02, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Finally broke down and bought a 4 pack of these. I poured one into a pilsner glass which gave me a golden copper beer with about 2 fingers of cream colored head.

A. Delicious. Awesome color and head retention with carbonation slowly rising from the bottom of the glass. Not sure you could go wrong with this beer.

S. Sweet smell with hints of citrus but primarily just hops and I love hops.

T. Interesting blend of four or five flavors that are all distinct and tasted one after another. I am reminded of Salty, Sweet, Sour, Orange, and Piney flavors which mix well with the smell. This gets a 5 because of the complexity.

M. Bubbly and tingly yet smooth as well.

D. I would definitely go for one of these if it was available but would have to follow it up with something lighter to wash it down.

Definitely a solid brew and at 9.0 worth the price of admission.

bourbonbock, Apr 02, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance:
Plenty of slowly rising carbonation accompanies this pour. Around ~2 fingers of thick, white head tops this translucent, amber brew. Retention and lacing are excellent; head remains relatively thick throughout the entire tasting.

Smell:
As can be inferred by what's written on the bottle, hops completely dominate the nose. I also detect a subtle citrus sweetness, but hops are clearly the focus.

Taste:
The flavor is remniscient of the nose, but I detect one more flavor which isn't apparent in the nose - a subtle maple sweetness. Again, hops largely dominate the palate, but a grapefruit-like sweetness couples with a hint of maple to lend a measure of balance to the oily hop character. It's a truly exceptional sensation.

Mouthfeel:
I think that the hoppy oils and maple character add some body to this beer. Its density is slightly heavier than medium, but not too thick. I find that the balance is the major element which makes this portion of the tasting enjoyable.

Drinkability:
The alcohol content of this beer is very-well hidden. Since it isn't really overpowering in facet, I find that this is an easily-drinkable beer. Be careful though - that 9.0% ABV really sneaks up on you if you're not careful.

Summary:
I love my IPAs and this is definately one which some might consider a "standard." The composition and balance are outstanding and every portion of the tasting reflects this. It's a very strong brew, but it's not "over the top," so it remains accessable. Dogfish Head is known for some of their unconventional brews, but this should appeal to virtually every beer affectionado - try one if you haven't done so already. Hopefully, you'll add it to your list of favorites as I have.

diabecktic, Apr 02, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

A - A nice amber colour with a finger of creamy white head that slowly dissipated.

S - A hop explosion. Citrus - specifically grapefruit - with some pine and earthy notes.

T - Bitter hops. Grapefruit with some floral notes. Smooth.

M - Medium body with some chew. It has an exceptional silky texture to it - similar to a nitro effect. Just enough carbonation.

D - A very drinkable DIPA. An excellent beer that I would definitely buy again.

TheSevenDuffs, Apr 02, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

A- Pours nice amber color. Head was a bit thin so I let it sit a minute to warm.(store cooler temp too cold)

S- The hops hit me first with a floral piney scent followed by a deeper roasty smell.

T- Godlike. For a 9% abv beer. Hops tasted first followed by that almost roasty taste for me. Then a bitterness. Complex just like the smell.

M- Carbonation is good. Syrupy not in a bad way.

D- Very drinkable. Just beware of too many it packs a punch with 9%abv.

All in all awesome for me. Pick up a 4 pack and try it for yourself.

lph0911, Mar 31, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

lots of head on the pour, not sure if that was my fault of just the beer. orange-amber color with a hoppy smell. first taste very hoppy, sweet, and extremely delicious. Of the beers i've tried this is probably one of my favorites. very easy to drink, almost goes down too smooth.

berpwillie, Mar 31, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

A-Poured into a glass created a 1+ inch head with spotty lacing on the glass. The color was clear amber...nice start.
S-Very fragant with scents of pine, hops, citrus and sweet carmel.
T-Nice blend of flavors from malt, oak and citrus fruits with the tail end showing some bitterness and spice, and of course, the heat of the alcohol.
M-Creamy and syrupy, but not in a sweet way. Mild to moderatie carbonation with a little bitterness/bite to finish it off.
D-Excellent beer. Can't wait to crack the next one.

bierenutz, Mar 31, 2010

A- a golden/amber color with true head retension. About a 1" head with a bone white color that yields a wavy lacing that subsides into a sticky spotted trace of legs.

S-strong esters and a very hoppy backbone filled with piney, earthy, and mild floral notes. Small amounts of biscuit and sweet bread are evident with some dark fruit barely coming through.

T-the hop oils attack your taste buds in a aggressive manner that yields quickly to unreal amounts of alternate flavour. My tastebuds are confused!! It takes generous pulls of this sweet nectar to even begin to grasp its complexity. I love the rich doughy forefront that is immediatly tackled by hop oils and fruity esters. Figs, caramel, raisins, cake and piney evervescence meld together like a monument to double IPA.

M/D- one word- awesome

jmfc8237, Mar 30, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +4%

This beer pours a rich translucent deep orange color, like clover honey almost. The head was small and white and receded quickly. The smell is quite piney and herbal with a huge clear malt presence under it. Smells very big and balanced, the hops qualities are many...but mostly a big resinous pine smell with less on the fruitiness of hops.

Glug glug glug

The flavor hits me first with a balance of robust English barley and a smaller hop presence that grows after just a moment. The taste is bitter herbs and has stickiness on the tongue that causes the flavor to last a long time. Over all this is a great tasting IIPA, and offers more balance and duality than some pure hop bombs... and this is still a really hoppy beer. The mouth feel is rich, full, and sticky.

Thur123, Mar 30, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Absolutely one of my favorite beers, I only wish I lived closer to the brewery!! Haven't found it on tap yet in Vermont. I'm in love with the smell and the color once poured, and tasting it reminds me of the feeling the guys in "Beerfest" felt when trying their beer recipe. Absolute bliss.

sgn4779, Mar 30, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A- golden amber look with carbonation that almost seems suspended in slow motion. Head of foam is very nice. Does disappear, but lacing remains. It does look intimidating

S- a strong whiff of pine, caramel, and floral hops. The scent is strong and almost makes my mouth water... Scratch that. It's watering. The end of the scent does present slight alcohol

T- floral hops and sweet malt hit first. Sweetness and bitterness combine into one initial bang. A slight tingle of alcohol exits. The flavor does warrant me wanting more from the get go. Hard to believe it's 9 percent

M- creamy with carbonation. The flavor dances around the mouth.

D- DFH 90min equals the leader in DIPA. This brew is so tasty. Combining hops and malt with exceptional flavor makes this a brew to talk about. In all honesty, I cannot think of a craft that better exemplifies the "gateway brew." 90 min introduces a treat that is not easily compared. This will be something I showcase to everyone as a perfect example of an piece of craft beer art

lovindahops, Mar 29, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - vibrant golden amber color, pours a near ideal two finger head, one that is lacking from so many other beers, great lacing follows

S - this is an area where the beer really excels, very fragrant with that good pale ale funk

T - medium complexity but with such strong and pronounced flavors...some fruit, some pine...subtly bitter...very rewarding in the way it all balances out

M - slightly sticky, syrupy but with enough bubble to make it great

D - lives up to the hype, the high ABV ensures a relaxing settling feeling...skeptics of IPA's need to try it cold enough with bold flavored foods

I really enjoyed this beer in a tulip glass with some pepper jack cheese and extra crunchy bbq chips...this was my first truly memorable IPA taste experience...

This one completely changed the way I think...from 'what beer would go well with this food'...'to what foods go well with this beer'

For me....it's now primarily the question of a good beer with foods that happen to compliment...rather than the other way around. I think that's part of 'respecting beer.'

RussK, Mar 29, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

From bottle to pint glass, a beautiful two-finger straw-colored head. Body a deep golden-amber.

Aroma a rich mixture of spicy hops and malt with freshly cut-grass flavored overtones.

An initial bombardment of heavy, spicy, rich malt with a well-timed transition toward an eclectic variety of moderately bitter hops that linger on the rear pallet. The malt is strong in this one and - in my opinion -- not quite balanced by the moderately bitter hops. Nevertheless, a very tasty IPA.

Mouthfeel is borderline brilliant: thick, smooth, perfect carbonation.

Drinkibility is good but the rich flavor will probably limit how many one can down in a single sitting.

Overall, another masterful IPA from Dogfish.

Kitt, Mar 27, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

bottled 1/18/10

i just had to rereview this beer since the last time i had this it was a little past its prime

pours a bright clear copper with a 2+ finger head that leaves lacing all over the glass

smell of juicy hop oils of grapefruit

taste - boy is this beer just so much better when hops are still fresh - while it still has a great malt backbone the hops still shine grapefruit and other citrus flavors - has a hint of booze so you know you are drinking something strong - it reminds me of a hop stoopid with more malt

mouthfeel - medium body - slick/sticky with good carbonation that gives it some zip and still has a creamy finish

drinkability is crazy good - my four pack will go fast and might have to buy more before the hops fade

overall a great dipa fresh - age at your own risk

jsh420, Mar 27, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

A- deep, clear golden hue with an inch of chonky head that laced and retained well

S- deliciously hoppy with notes of pine and grapefruit, and rather sweet

T- well balanced, bittersweet, balancing malt and hops very well, with floral pine and citrus notes

M- coats the tongue well, with a somewhat bitter aftertaste

D- quite well for such a potent beer, that proves even east coast DIPA's can hold their own against the great western juggernauts

BDJake, Mar 26, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Had on tap at Ramuntos in Lebanon, NH.

A: dark yellow gold, strawberry highlights against a light. Thin very clingy off-white head.

S: Nice mixed hop complexity- mostly pine, then citrus, a tad of grass- accompanied by a malty sweetness.

T: Hops same as the nose, light caramel malty sweetness. Fruity aftertaste of strawberry candy accompanies a long lingering pine and lemon hoppiness.

M/D: Slight resiny stickiness, but overall smooth and enjoyable. Appropriate carbonation, mild EtOH presence but much much less than most beers with this ABV and body.

BeerNinja007, Mar 26, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

One of my favorite Dogfish Head beers, the 90 minute IPA packs a punch on many levels. At 9% abv it can feel a tad strong for those not accustomed to IPAs. My wife and friends do not like this beer much.

Despite the higher abv than the 60 minute, the 90 minute has a much larger, more complex flavor profile. The aroma is possibly the best feature of this brew. Very sweet and flowery, almost of lemon, chamomile, and honey with very strong hop overtones.

It pours well with minimal head. A nice light amber color, slightly darker than the 60 minute. The flavor is certainly hoppy, but the grapefruit sweetness is very noticeable and leaves an interesting after taste that one does not experience with the 60 minute.

This is also a beer that can be found in bottles at an increasingly larger number of locations (I am in OH). Giant Eagle seems to always have this and the 60 minute any more. Comes in 4-packs at $10.99 each.

I love it in a bottle, but it is also amazing on tap.

Spider889, Mar 25, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +4%

I've heard good things about this brew so I tried it.

Pours somewhat syrup-like into a wine glass with not much white foamy head. Bright ruby red in color- but I'm color blind.

I could smell the citrus of the hops as soon as the cap was popped. strong odor and i can detect the alcohol. smells fantastic.

A very hoppy, but extremely well balanced beer. Goes down almost creamy but leaves an exceptional bitter aftertaste. The hops arent extreme but they are certainly present.

I drank a four pack of these the other night, but you certainly dont enjoy it as much by the 3rd or 4th. Excellent beer but its best enjoyed singularly as the taste could get overwhelming after a while.

humanbeer, Mar 23, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tumbler.

The pour is almost clear gold with two fingers' white head.

The nose is very full of citrus with some sweetness and a bit of alcohol. The taste is more of the same; this is one hoppy brew.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied yet creamy at the same time. Drinkability is good; I could see myself going back to this often if it were available locally.

Overall, it is a nice Double IPA that I wish I could get at home.

CityBoy1986, Mar 23, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

My go to high end bottle when I truly want to treat myself. Probably the most well made beer I have ever had. The head is perfect in my humble opinion, the color is amazing also. Then the flavor, mouth-feel, and aroma hit you. Amazing balance on all levels. Today is my birthday, I know what I am drinking.

pacchef23, Mar 22, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into a Dogfish Head Signature Glass (16oz Snifter).

a- Hazy, Carmel color with 1/4" head that quickly dissapated. Nice lacing throughout the consumption.

s- Hoppy! Citrus, lime....

t- Full Hop up front with hints of malt. Smoothly bitter....or, bitterly smooth!!

m- Nice carbonation, silky, thick, smooth

d- I have yet to find a moment where this brew doesn't "hit the spot"- but then again I'm partial to Double IPAs.

This beer was the first Double IPA that I ever tried (6 years ago)- and was my initiation from fizzy yellow lager into craft brew. What was initially a stunning negative impression has grown to become a style of Ale that always presents a myriad of flavors and options. This is craft brew at it's hoppy best.

CraftAleRookie, Mar 21, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Had this on tap, I know I've had it before from the bottle but never wrote a review.

This pours a very nice orange copper color with a small head. You can smell the piny sitrus of the hops and it has that hop citrus flavor in a big, bold way but not overpowering with bitterness which makes it quite drinkable. Surpisingly high in alcohol even though I could drink a lot of these.

beerfairy, Mar 21, 2010