90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

This is one of my "gateway" beers, but recently when I've gone to the stores the bottles are all 2-5 months old. So when I got to Binny's today and saw a batch from 11/04/09 I was stoked. Served in my Kuhnhenn tulip.

A - Pours with a gorgeous 2+ fingers of light tan foam that takes forever to dissipate to a thick cap (I timed it at around 6 minutes). The lacing coats the sides of the glass. Gorgeous transparent golden amber body with a stream of tiny bubbles racing up the middle of the glass.

S - A big burst of pine and grapefruit hoppiness over a strong toasted malt and toffee backbone. Maybe a bit of sweeter citrus zest, tangerine or orange. The aroma exemplifies the prototypical East Coast balanced DIPA, with both elements of the brew complementing each other and working in tandem. There's the tiniest hint of alcohol, but nowhere near as much as when I had this beer on tap a few months ago.

T - The taste is significantly less hop forward, with a initial burst of bitter grapefruit followed by a long sustained dose of toffee and cookie dough. The finish is lightly bitter, with a bit of pine and grapefruit again popping up in the aftertaste. Alcohol is again reasonably well-hidden.

M - Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with low carbonation. Body is definitively medium, and could stand to be a touch more viscous to support the ABV. There's some definite warming, even after half a glass. Finishes very oily and resiny.

D - The only thing really preventing me from drinking large quantities of this brew is the ABV, as well as the difficulty in finding fresh bottles. I've inadvertently purchased older bottles in the past (before I knew of the date-codes), or had this from old kegs, and it gets boozy and underwhelming pretty fast. I'm not sure who's at fault, but until I can reliably find bottles less than 6 weeks old this ain't getting more than a 4.

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

I shared a 4 pack with my father. It was his first IPA and he really liked it.

A. It poured a dark copper/amber color. Thick one inch head. Head was off white and very firm with peaks in it. Some lacing.

S. It smelled very piney. Citrus as well. The hops smelled very fresh. This beer had a decent malt aroma as well. Thats nice for an IPA.

T. This beer was a top 5 tasting IPA for me, Just delicious. Oily fresh hops dominate. But the malt profile is impressive as well. Bready and nutty.

M. Bitter like it should be, medium bodied like it should be and dry.

D. It is very drinkable. You must be careful with beers this high in abv though so I would say that it is far from a session beer.

4.15/5  rDev -3%

an amber color with a off yellow head. consistent and not particularly sticky. nose of candy sweet and citrus fruit. a nice blend of bready nougat, pineapple, orange peel, and a earthy walnut finish that few accomplish. a tad sweet but a great one for those that are trying to introduce the double IPA into a traditional beer diet. sweet front, nice fruit in the middle, bitter finish with a nicely back malt quality.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

A - Golden with glowing coppery quality, ever so slightly hazy. Sticky, creamy ivory colored head. Sticky lace remains long after beer is gone.

S - Complex with floral, herbal, piney, bready, and tropical notes.

T - Smooth upfront with an equal display of hops and malt. The complex flavors slowly develop and reveal themselves: pine, citrus, fresh herbs, and tasted bread with an elegant sweetness of clover honey. As the hop oils distribute and build up in the mouth a nice prickly bitterness sets in, but the malt keeps coming through to balance the equation. Really really well balanced for a beer of this intensity. Dose of yeast in a drying finish.

M - Medium body and carbonation. Chewy, syrupy, and creamy, but not heavy. Smooth and warming with the alcohol presence.

D - Dangerously drinkable.

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance-copper/amber color with a good head that dissipated to fine lace,leaving trace on the sides.
Smell-citrus,metallic(in a good way),with a sweet trace.
Taste-pine,grapefruit,hops,hops,tingle of sweetness,all followed by alcohol (a bit too much for me)
Mouth feel-effervescence,with very fine bubbles.
Drinkability-if I could handle the ABV this would be a nightly
house beer

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a copper color with a nice looking one and a half finger off white head that dissipated in about 3 minutes ,leaving a thin patchy bit of head on top of the beer until it is gone. Left some very very nice lacing down the glass.

Smells hoppy, with a definite alcohol presence. notes of grapefruit, pine, some earthy undertones, and some citrus come with the hops. Very nice smell.

Taste follows suit with the smell, but is even a bit more balanced. A nice tasting brew. The pine and grapefruit together are very nice in this beer. The alcohol is definitely noticeable in the aftertaste, although it doesn't overdo it at all making it very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is great, with a nice amount of carbonation throughout. The aftertaste makes me want more. This is extremely drinkable considering the alcohol content.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

this beer poured out a copper orange color with a good one finger white head

the smell hits with a strong hop aroma but not the typical citrusy character that you might expect and some light malt tones as well

the taste is a bold rich hop resinious flavor and a good powerful bitterness. really great for how bitter it is

this beer finishes with a med body and a nice citrus note that hangs in the nasal cavity as the tongue curls a bit from the bitterness. this is really jsut a great imperial and it gets the attention it does for good reason. wonderful!

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (September 9, 2009).

Eyes: Looks very nice, dark red with a small yet surprisingly long lingering head.

Nose: The rich, sweet, bread smell makes it's way through the heavy hops. Quite complex, and not overwhelmed by pure hops.

Tongue: This is where this brew shines. The powerful hops are balanced well with the thick malty sweetness later on. The 9% ABV is barely detectable. The flavor gets even more complex and satisfying as it warms to room temperature. The hop hit is there, but this is not purely a hop bomb as seem in many IPA's/DIPA's. The definition of character in flavor.

Mouth: Smooth as silk, a touch creamy.

Libation: Overall a fantastic offering and one of my favorites around. DIPA's tend not to be session beers, but this is as close as you will get. The only thing that prevents me from drinking the whole 4 pack is the dangerously unnoticeable 9% ABV.

Is it the best DIPA around? It just might be.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

For my 100th beer review I'm reviewing the classic Dogfish 90. Cold 12oz bottle poured into chalice glass. Beer pours a golden amber color with nearly no head and a rich, fresh apricot/citrus-hop aroma.

The first sip is long and complex: first, sharp carbonation and bitterness followed by warming, fruity orange/lemon citrus flavors. These give way to a standard pale ale malt profile, and finally the familiar bitter bite of IPA finishes off the sip. After becoming acquanted with the glass the initial attack is less pronounced and the warm, sweet flavors of this Double really stand out.

What makes this beer not just good but great is its drinkability. Unlike 60-minute or Harpoon or a dozen others, drinking one of these doesn't leave the palate burned out -- and yet, this is a BIG, 9% beer, not some 3.5% English IPA tomfoolery. I feel like the only thing holding back this beer from unlimited drinkability is the alcohol content. And, unlike a 120, after 1, I feel just a little tempted to have more.

3.6/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from 12 oz bottle into standard pint glass

A- The beer pours a nice burnt orange that is pretty translucent. There is about a finger's worth of head that leaves a nice cap on the beer throughout and leaves decent lacing on the side of the glass.

S- A good example of an east coast IPA because it's not a huge hop bomb. Yes, the hops are present but the malt is the dominant scent. Also a little smell of some caramel and maybe even a little bit of honey.

T- This is a pretty balanced imperial. Not a whole lot of bitterness because of the good helping of malt. There is also a bit of honey in there and some other sweetness. Add in some orange and maybe even a hint of wood. For being 9% ABV, it is hidden pretty well.

M- A medium bodied brew that has a good smoothness to it and not a lot of bitterness like other IPA's. It almost seems like it is a bit on the syrupy side, maybe it's just me.

D- A decent beer but it is almost too sweet for me and the mouthfeel seems a little on the syrupy side. A big beer though that has the ABV hidden quite well but I couldn't have more than one or two of these in a sitting.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

pours clear amber, with a nice lasting white head, great lacing.

smells of nice citrusy (grapefruit) hops and a light caramel malt. not very complex but good.

same as the smell but a little more piney in the hop flavor bitter finish. again not complex but exceptional in the overall package.

mouthfeel has very light carbonation slightly creamy.

very drinkable not heavy at all. very good and nice abv.

overall delicious.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Bottle to SN pint glass

A: cloudy orange, half inch white head that layered with huge bubbles, looks like sea foam (that's a complement!)

S: hops and a fresh apple!

T: a crisp biscuit with a hoppy bite and slight caramel finish.

M: exceptionally smooth on the lead up to the bitters.

D: A flagship beer for the Imperial IPA category for sure. Not only does it make for a great IIPA, but a great overall beer. Simple, and complex - every sip is slightly different as it warms up in your hand. While it is at 9% abv I'd certainly drink this all night until I felt "comfortable" and be extremely satisfied. A beer everyone must try -> highly recommended.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

The color is a golden-toned amber copper with a light haze to it. The head is dense, foamy and ever-present, dropping sheets of lacing that cling to the glass all the way down.
The aroma is fresh hops with a clean citrus and a malt presence. Nearly as potent is a hint of raw sugar sweetness.
This one's like drinking fresh hops juice and barley, while lingering underneath sits the sugary sweetness reminiscent of the 120 without the overwhelming presence of it. Also present is a bright citrus tone, lemon and orange rind, herbal notes and a floral taste. Alcohol doesn't show much in the flavor but packs a punch, a combination that makes for dangerous drinking.
The mouthfeel has a crisp nip from a moderate carbonation and a nice rich, creaminess from the balancing malt. Body is moderate.
This is a great IPA with high drinkability despite a high ABV. I could put back a few more if it didn't kick me in the face so hard.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: Poured into a snifter, beautiful tawny orange with shimmers of gold along the edges and when held up to the light. One inch, beige head is creamy and stays for the entire experience, leaving very nice rings of lace around the sides of the glass.

Smell: Pineapple, pine, peach, grapefruit rind, and earth with caramel and brown sugar sweetness.

Taste: Wow. A perfectly balanced (probably overly balanced) big beer. 90 Minute has just as much malt presence as it does hop presence. First thing I notice is the smooth caramel, syrupy, brown sugar sweetness from the malt. This soon fades away, replaced by piney, citrusy, bitter hop flavors and mild alcohol in the finish. Leaves a strange, salty sensation on my lips.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, rich, thick, and juicy. Carbonation stays in the background for the most part but is present enough to make this beer drinkable, keeping it creamy rather than syrupy.

Drinkability: This brew is delicious and I want to drink a lot more but I only have four and they probably have as many calories as a frappuccino. The 9% ABV is buried well and never becomes too hot.

I'm not going to fault this beer based on the fact that it's a pretty malty and sweet DIPA, like a lot of reviewers do. Regardless of style pigeon-holes, this is a super tasty beer and suits me fine.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Bottled on 7/17/09.

Pours a nice golden color with a beautiful frothy white head that sticks around to the very end. Awesome lacing.

Lots of sweet malt in the nose with some nice leafy hop.

In the mouth I get some honey, sweet malts, a bit of bitterness and a dry finish. The hops are a little weaker than I anticipated, but I honestly haven't had 90 minute before so this could be normal.

In the mouth it is nice and creamy with enough carbonation to serve its purpose.

This beer is almost obscenely drinkable. Almost.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance: Pours an off amber with a nice creamy head.

Smell: Very strong hops, malt and alcohol scent with just a touch of citrus.

Taste: Extremely hoppy with somewhat of a syrupy taste thrown is as well.

Mouthfeel: The right taste in between heavy and light. Nice aftertaste with a crisp finish.

Drinkability: I don't feel this craft is entirely off as far as drinkability goes but it would be hard to put back a few of these

An above-standard IPA the tastes superb from pour to finish.

4.28/5  rDev 0%

Bottled 08-03-09 and poured into a pint glass (had to make use of my new Dogfish Head pint glass!)

Pours a deep, reddish amber and is a little dark for an IPA. As it pours, the carbonation seemed to go completely insane like there was a whirlpool of carbonation in my glass... I've never seen this before. The head is about an inch thick at first and dissipates into a fairly thin layer on top of the beer a few minutes after the pour. The head is a nice, off white color. It has left an incredible amount of lacing in the glass and it has been maybe 20 minutes and it shows no signs of leaving. It seems heavily carbed at first but it lightens up a bit though the carbonation is still very prominent.

Aroma wise, it is very light. All I am getting is the citrusy aroma of the hops as well as some grassiness. As it warms up a bit, I am getting more fruitiness in the aroma as well.

The taste is not at all what I expected. I had expected a hop bomb, but its actually not very bitter at all. Its incredibly sweet, with a slight fruity taste up front and a little hoppy bitterness at the end. The best way to get a hoppy taste out of this brew is to burp, which I just did, as it will yield a nice hop flavor for you to enjoy! I'm amazed at the complexity that is coming from this double IPA, which are normally just hob bombs in my experience.

As for drinkability, this beer is very smooth and surprisingly drinkable given the fact that it comes in at a hefty 9% ABV. However, I don't really see myself ever downing more than two of these in one sitting. Though its very pleasant to drink, my mouth is feeling a bit dead after getting halfway through my pint glass as though I just drank coffee that was too hot (though a bit more mild than that... you know what I'm saying). I'm really amazed at how well the alcohol is masked. Even after letting it warm up for 15 minutes, I haven't been able to taste the alcohol at all.

Overall, this might be my second favorite DFH brew, just behind their Indian Brown Ale (due entirely to stylistic preference). It really lives up to the hype they try to build around the DFH brand... its very complex, has lots of different things going on, and is a very interesting experience to drink. I am very glad I picked this up and I'm glad I have three more sitting in the fridge, though I don't know if I will get this one again. However, I would recommend that every person who wants to drink good beer to pick this brew up! It is fantastic!

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Dogfish's 90 minute pours slightly off-amber in a pint glass or tulip (if you prefer). Good head in the glass and WHAM! pine and grapefruit aroma fill the nose. First sip is delicious and hoppy, but a slam in the head. Not a session beer, but a damn good one!

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

I knew this beer wasn't going to be typical to what I usually prefer but I've read a lot of hype on it and I am a big advocate of Dog Fish Head. So I went for it...

A: Deep reddish, full color, with a thick, almost picture perfect creamy off-white head, great lacing on the glass. Bubbly at first but that settled quickly.

S: Incredibly hoppy on the nose. There are lots of acidic fruits present and like the 60 Minute IPA, I get a clear aroma of freshly baked bread. It smells extremely full, sweet and rich.

T: Very bitter fruit at the front, subtle sweet malt toffee and then a bitter finish. Thick, yet very smooth and pretty well balanced. Aftertaste is a sticky sweet.

M: Creamy, rich and very smooth with a substantial body. It absolutely coats your mouth with sweetness.

Drinkability: This is a solid brew and perfectly balanced. Personally, I'm not sure I would enjoy more than 1-2 of these so I'm not sold it would be a great session beer. Very full, sweet and even after the first one...it tastes like I fell asleep with a piece of hard candy in my mouth. 9% alcohol...that is a plus.

15 minutes later...the lacing is still all over my empty glass!

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

12 oz. bottle bought at Beltway Fine Wine. Bottled on 8/18/09

Pours an orangey copper with a thin layer of head that leaves considerable lacing behind when it recedes.

Smell is primarily dominated by a bitter hop aroma, but a faint malt sweetness and barley notes come through as well.

Taste is assertive, yet impeccably balanced. A bold hop presence pulls through first, and is effectively complemented by a rich malt sweetness. The sweetness subsides on the finish, however, and the hops come through a bit more. A warming alcohol character comes through as well as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel is on the full side of medium-bodied, carbonation is ample.

For a beer with this high of an ABV and this assertive of a flavor profile, I'd say 90 Minute IPA is extremely drinkable. This is possibly my favorite Dogfish offering, and one that I wish I could afford to have around more often.

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a sam adams glass. Nice deep amber hue to it. Great head that stands up and really sticky laceing. The perfect looking beer!!

Smell some really nice citrus and floral hops. You can also get a hint of the malty backbone.

Hops then malt then back to hops. Beautiful beer. Awesome balance to it!

Medium-heavy body nice carbination. Somewhat syurp like and surprise very smooth and balanced. Could drink this one anytime anywhere.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

On tap at Plan B in Simsbury

A - A clear copper body with a creamy white head.

S - Rich malts and some pretttty pertttty pretty nice hops.

T - Hops, rich malty backbone. This one gets better and better as it warms to room temperature. Pine, citrus, and not very much bitterness despite the 90 IBUs. One of my favorite DIPAS.

M - Medium body and carbonation. Very smooth and warming.

D - I frequently purchase bottles of this one and consume them at room temperature.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

12oz bottle poured into a DFH signature glass. this was the beer that really got me in crafts, and its been awhile since i had one, and was stoked to review it. on we go...

A - pours a healthy two fingers of dense, rich foam. its kind of just sitting there putting on a show. the beer is a healthy dark copper color.

S - lots of bitter floral hops, heck of a malty backbone even in the smell, can tell this one is going at least try to balanced. a bit of soapiness also in the nose.

T - flash fo hops, quickly followed by the malts, more hops, then a somewhat harsh alcohol finish. i remember thinking this beer was so unbelievably hoppy, obviously long before i got my hands on some other DIPA's.

M - nice healthy carbonation, slick oily and syrupy.

D - alcohol very notable, but this at 9%ABV can really catch up on you. drinks more like an over-hopped barleywine.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Great amber color, with a nice thick head. Lacing slightly thick.

Extremely citrusy, with hints of malt. And of course, it is beautifully hopped. Slight alcohol smell, but that's expected for a 9% ABV beer. Also detected are dark fruits and apricots. Rather complex.

Really amazing IPA. Smooth and hoppy at the beginning, then continues with tastes of malt, caramel and yeast. The alcohol adds a nice undertone to the brew, and may in fact be unnoticeable to most. The finish is of smooth hops, and sweetness and malt.

Great mouthfeel. Slightly syrupy--there's definitely body to this beer, but it's not overwhelming.

With all the balanced flavors, this beer goes down quite easily. You can go through a few in a sitting, easily.

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Pours a darkish amber. White head sits on top rather proudly. Great lace, looking a bit sticky.

Mostly pine coming off the nose, although there is a slight hint of citrus. The malt backbone is very prevalent as well though, asserting some welcome caramel and bread notes.

The taste tends to lean more towards the malt than the hops which really surprised me, but as the beer goes down the entire thing evens out very nicely. It becomes a very smooth transition from slightly dry pine/floral to caramel.

This is a well weighted beer, goes down smoothly without a hitch. Great all around.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery