90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +11%

Aroma from the freshly opened bottle: malts and florals

Aroma after the pour: floral and citrus

The Dogfish 90 minute DIPA pours into a tall pils glass with a huge tan-orange head and beautifully clear amber body. The head settles to 3+ fingers after a little over a minute w/ light lacing.

What's most impressive about this DIPA is the balance in the taste from the start of the experience. It's hoppy for certain, but not as uber-hoppy as some others in this style; and, as mentioned, expertly balanced with its malty side. Beware the 9% abv, it's well hidden.

The mouthfeel has a nice amount of carbonation (when poured down the side). The gravity of this brew is a perfect match for its characteristic elements.

The Dogfish Head 90 Minute DIPA is the work of brew artists; an absolutely delicious brew.

MVotter, May 22, 2009
4.28/5  rDev 0%

Pours a honied amber color with a copious amount of head. Fantastic head retention and lacing like glue.

The aroma is what you would expect from the style, all citrusy hops and some bready, caramel malt. Nice. Present. But not heavy handed. It adds wonderfully to the taste.

The taste is more malty and much less bitter than expected and only slightly more bitter than a 60 minute IPA. Huh. There's a nice and solid caramel backbone---somewhat of a butterscotch and honey vibe going on here. The resin of the pine and the grassy citrus works well with it. The alcohol creeps up with every sip as it warms. There's an element of-- and I don't mean this in a bad way, because it tastes nice -- dishsoap to it. Really, this is a delicious and elegantly restrained DIPA, not the over-the-top hop dropkick that makes me normally prefer an IPA to a DIPA.

It's oily and there's very little carbonation here which kind of makes it stick to your tongue and causes the hops to really register and linger. It's creamy and chewy and delicious.

At 9% I'm good for one of these at a time. Two, tops. But that doesn't mean I don't want more or that it isn't a pleasure to drink.

MeisterBurger, May 22, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

First of all, compared to the 60 min, I think I enjoy the 60 min more. This was a orange color with lots of sticky lacing. Very sweet smell with citrus hops. Upon first sip I could tell this was a very sweet beer. Not too much hop backbone that I can taste but it does have a pretty bitter aftertaste. I really enjoyed this one but overall it was just a bit too sweet for me.

flexinwext, May 21, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Dark copper with a thin white head. There are enormous amounts of sticky white lacing that waterfalls down from start to finish.

90 min has a very balanced smell to it. The nose is mostly grassy/earthy and pine with a strong malt presence. There are citrus hops and a sweet fruity ester smell in the backround, but not as pronounced as the hops in the nose.

This is a damn tastey brew. It's very resinous and well balanced with the malt. The bitterness is there but not in your face. The sweet fruit and malt is just as much a centerpiece as the pine hops.

This has a great mouthfeel as well. It's creamy and oily, full bodied. Carbonation is damn near perfect.

The alcohol shows up a little, but overall this is so flavorful and balanced that it's enjoyable enough to have one after another.

This is a classic example of a DIPA, especially those coming out of the east. This beer is worth every ounce of respect it gets in the beer community.

Vonerichs, May 20, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

The DFH 90 Minute IPA pours a very pretty dark amber color with a white frothy head and apparent lacing.

The aroma is heavily floral/citrus, expected for an IPA of this quality.

The first taste is very dry, a hoppy whirlwind, with a finish that leaves a bitterness that is not at all unpleasant. While hops dominate the flavor of this beer there are also notes of sweetness, however they are quickly devoured by the hop explosion.

This is best described as a "bright" beer, although it is a little darker than some IPAs I have enjoyed. The carbonation combined with the hops make this a nice beer for session drinking.

Aged beer review (For info only. Not taken into account in grading):

I know this is not your typical review because this is a DFH 90 Minute IPA that has been sitting aging in a closet since 2005. My ratings are, therefore, for a 4 year old bottle, aged in complete darkness and in moderate temperature.

The pour was uneventful. Not much head at all. The beer appears to be a lovely amber color, although very cloudy.

The aroma is fruity, much more than when this beer was fresh I am sure. The Alcohol has come to the front and the hops have retreated...not your typical IPA of any sort.

The taste is more like a strong maibach with little carbonation. Not the tastiest of beers but that is probably to be expected. After 4 years, this has become more or less, a malt-alcohol beverage. The absence of carbonation takes away whatever flavor is enjoyable. This is obviously at least a year beyond a very enjoyable experience.

kindestcut, May 19, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been enjoying this Dogfish Head mainstay for years now. It's genuinely an incredible beer. It's been months since I haven't had my fridge stocked with these--when one 4 pack goes a trip to the store is in order.

90 minutes of hopped up deliciousness..I'm expecting a lot on the appearance here and of course dfh delivers. It's a beautiful golden amber with a little bit of chilled haze. There's about half an inch of beautiful beautiful cloudy head that has great retention and incredible lacing.

The nose on this one has more depth than most beers can even dream of. Simply amazing. Some light bready and biscuity malt undertones as well as a brief note of alcohol. The true beauty comes from the incredible floral, spice, herbal, citrusy, etc etc etc hops. Almost perfect.

Damn this goes down so smooth but eventually it almost feels like you're chewing on delicious cold raw hops. mmm. Perhaps a little too much of an alcohol aftertaste that prevents this beer from being sessionable but otherwise you're looking at a winner, I feel like.

They market this as a double IPA but to me it feels more like a deliciously tasty and very drinkable IPA.

May I have another?

originalsin, May 19, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My aggressive pour led to too much head and a close-call overflow. Still, I'm ready to have a good beer and I know this is one. The big bubbles and overly thick lacing concern me (see my Hoppin' Frog DIPA review), and this one is a wee bit on the light side in regards to color. The beer is almost translucent and, quite frankly, it doesn't look that cool.

Oddly, not much on the smell. Hops, sure; malt, sure; nothing distinctive, however, that jumps out at you and gives the beer identity. I smell balance and, I suppose, that's good. Still, even though I've already enjoyed this beverage and know it to be a good one, I'm at a loss to describe what is an average-smelling beer. +0.5 for smelling balance!

Taste is really where the beer proves its worthiness. It's probably the only Imperial IPA I've had that really maintains a malt backbone. The beer is further confirmation that they're onto something up there in DE at the DFH Brewery. It's perfectly carbonated such that the bubbles seem to blend the malts and the hops WHILE the brew is in my mouth! Every sip is a good one...I feel like that's basically indisputable. This is perhaps the template for an America IPA. Though it lacks the complexity of many other DFH beers, I think it achieves its aim: it is a unabashedly well-balanced Imperial IPA. I've enjoyed this beer countless times and it is consistently good.

Great for the balance that is bolstered by carbonation. I marvel at the fact DFH is mass-producing this beer. The brewery is terrific at making much of the simply good. I applaud that. In this one, what seems like 50% malt gets caught up in 50% hops and you end up with a tasty, fizzy, delicious, yet strong beer. Let's face it--these guys are good.

It is consistently enjoyable. That's huge. I think this beer is one of those to basically have around all the time. I give it extra credit for tasting virtually identical when tap versus bottle. I can have two and feel good. I can mix it with Guiness and have an awesome Black-n-Tan. The beer is both good and versatile. It's another winner from Dogfish Head.

marvin213, May 18, 2009

Pours a pale orange amber color with light white head that leaves a nice amount of lacing on the glass. The smell is kind of weak for the style, this bottle could be old.... Hops up front, followed by some sweet notes that i can't put my finger on. This must be old, the hop flavor is minimal with a touch of citrus. The aftertaste is sweet and enriched with malt, there is a bitterness on the back of the tongue. But I can tell it should be more pronounced. The mouth feel is what makes this super drinkable, good amount of carbonation and leaves you wanting more. This would kick ass in its prime, will seek out again!

EDIT: Some of the most amazing lacing I have ever seen from a brew...

BDLbrewster, May 18, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

It's nice to see that I'm a member of the flock here....no question about this one...a winner. I hate to simply be a member of the loud majority here but there's no getting around it for this one.

Nice honey color with white head. Lovely fresh flower nose with a pleasant hop character.

Wonderful hop balance with assertive and pleasant flavors of fruit and malt. Undertones of sweet malt in back palate.

Actually a beer big on hops but with nice balance, flavors and fruit and malt characteristics; quite complex and very attractive.

Clean, crisp hop/malt finish. An all around winner.

Also,
9% abv. This is 1 of 21 DFH beers tasted 6/13/09 in Los Angeles.

Pours a dark honey color. Assertive fruit and chocolate nose.

Full, rich mouthfeel with big flavors. Big full sweet malt and carmel flavors with a big full carmel-malt and bitter hop finish that lingers.

A serious IPA big in all respects. Full of character, style, richness and flavors and a wonderful whiskey finish.

GRG1313, May 17, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a nice golden brown, caramel color. Nice off white fluffy head that stayed a good while. light lacing.

S: I enjoy the smell of this one. Very nice and sweet smelling, pleasing to the nose. Lots of citrus and pine notes.

T: This is what an IPA should be. Hops from the start to the end. Definitely packs a punch, with a bitter end as well, but not so much to pass up another. The citrusy notes can be picked up with every sip. Not only are the hops present, but it is an extremely well balanced IPA....hops are there..yes but so are the malts, to keep everything in check.

M: Just enough carbonation. Not too much and not too little.

D: Definitely a great session beer. No doubt about it.

Genuine, May 16, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

12 0z bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours an amber/caramel colour with a two finger off white head. Lots of carbonation bubbles that continue to flow to top.

S - Drank this one with a bit of a stuffed up nose, so i did not get to much from the smell.

T - This one has a nice piney taste to it. Not as hoppy as I excpected it be, but very balanced. Alcohol is very well hidden. Finishes with a tone of citrus (maybe grapefruit).

M - A definite medium body with nice carbonation.

D - Wish I had more than a four pack. Could drink these till the sun comes up. Caught a small head change on a fairly empty stomach, but it probably would have only lasted a few minutes if I didn't follow it up with another. Overall a really enjoyable drink...

Cheers...

comfortablynumb1, May 15, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Tried this on-tap - this is a delicious, delicious beer. Decanted into a pint glass. It's a rich copper color with a frothy white head. Fantastic lacing. Aromas and tastes are very well balanced. Rich maltiness, great citrusy hops. Rich mouthfeel - not too heavy, good complement to the flavors. A very drinkable beer. It's listed as a double IPA, but it comes off as a very, very drinkable IPA. I will gladly return to this one again and again.

ndekke39, May 15, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

I have tried this beer once before, on tap while visiting the united states.

A local shop started to carry a couple of Dogfish Head products. I remember this being an excellent DIPA, so I didn't think twice about the $20 price for a four pack.

On to product.... Beautiful pour, clear, deep amber, small head. Taste is how I remember; a definite hop bomb with citrusy hop notes up front start and a bitter finish. Body is full without being syrupy. While I wouldn't call this beer balanced, it is exactly what I am looking for in a DIPA. It has taken a while to sip through my first bottle, but another one is lined up.

I am happy to see an increasing number of American beers at the better Alberta stores.

manchester81, May 15, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -7%

A- Color is good-- a deep amber--but little or no head with little retention and lacing.

S- Smells great, a nice blend of big citrus hops with some honey and caramel sweetness.

T- At first it's really sweet. Big honey, caramel, and light molasses notes overpower some of the hops. Swishing it around brings out some of that hop bitterness that I was looking for. Hops are primarily citrus (orange zest, grapefruit) and floral. Not bad at all, but a little sweet for my taste. Would love to see some darker malt in this to make a great barleywine. Also could probably make a great black and tan out of it.

M- Thick and oily. Little or no carbonation. There's not a lot to keep this moving. I'd look for a mouthfeel like this in a RIS, not an IIPA. But strangely with the thick, sugary taste, it works.

D- OK, but I'd probably only have one. The lack of carbonation here hurts this one.

All in all, not a bad brew. There are some problems with it, in my opinion. I feel like I'm trying to compare it to an IPA and not an IIPA--like it doesn't know which style to be in (big bold harsh flavors or more subdued ones). This one grows on me as I drink it. Similar sweetness makes me interested to see if I could tackle the 120 the second time around.

LordAdmNelson, May 14, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
BOTTLING DATE: 01/30/09

Pours a bright copper color with serious orange highlighting. Two-fingers of creamy, light orange tinted foam. Retention is great. Lacing is spotty and very sticky.

Great big hop presence mixes with big sweet malt notes. Caramel covered pieces of grapefruit and pineapple. Apples and raisins in pine sap. Mild presence of nice yeastiness. Nice hint of floral notes.
This is a fabulous smelling beer.

Big, rich, butterey caramel notes hit me first. Floral and citrus hops notes follow, leading up to a nice bitter kiss on the finish. A taste of bread made with fresh fruits and drizzled with pine infused caramel.
This is exactly what I want from an IIPA. Huge hops and malts working together to make an incredible balance that is completely enjoyable.

Thick, rich, smooth and creamy. Nice full body. This is the embodiment of what I love about beers.

The 9.0%ABV is so cleverly hidden that this one could be extremely dangerous, if you aren't careful. Very drinkable.

coldmeat23, May 13, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +7%

remember in Jurassic park, when they show you the fossil insect in the tree amber... thats the color of this beer. Smells like raspberry, and black tea, with a deep rich hop scent. If they made this in a car freshener I would wear it around my neck. Taste is very complex. At first its just hops, playing solo. Then a balance of deep malt pushes through, and adds a harmony. Then, as if threatened, the hops re-emerge, and play a floral symphony on your tounge, highlighted by grapefruit, apricot and raspberry. You're left with a very nice dry ether finish after its all said and done. It has a very splendid mouthfeel, and its dangerously drinkable.

rodney45, May 12, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark copper with a small light brown head with some retention and not much lacing.

S: Smells very strongly of fruit, strong caramel, and floral hops.

T: Very similar to the smell, however it's waay more caramely than I expected. Strong caramel with fruit dominate most of this DIPA, however hops do come in but are more bitter than flavorful. Alcohol come out a decent amount as well. Not really my style.

Overall: Mouthfeel was very good, small bubbles of carbonation were strong and consistent. Fairly drinkable, I just wouldn't want much.

AdmiralDiaz, May 09, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Figured I'd review 90 minute, since there is an ever rotating fresh supply in my fridge....

12oz bottle poured into DFH Snifter.

A: Pours a nice golden brown, yielding a fluffy white head. Full lacing, nice tight bubbles. Doesn't appear to be heavily carbonated.

S: I may be a little biased here, I'm a big fan of east coast, read: well balanced, IPAs and DIPAs. Love me some left coast hop bombs, but 90 minute's aroma is awesome. Nice bready character in the nose, biscuity caramel sweetness is very detectable. Plays nicely off of the tropical citrus characteristics of the hops. Damn near perfect.

T: Just what an IIPA should be... Big dose of hops smack the lips and tongue immediately. Citrus flavors follow through from the nose - grapefruit, orange and even a little apricot. This brew has some malt bill. The sweet, bready malts wash right over the hops and smooth the hell out of this beer. Hops end in only a mild bitterness that kind of lingers, not a crisp dry finish at all.

M: Super smooth and creamy from the generous amounts of malt. Medium body, real light, but not too light carbonation. This one hits the mark for the subtle carbonation a big DIPA should possess.

D: 9%? I cry B.S... so well hidden. I drink one of these and don't want to get off of them for the rest of the evening.

bwd110, May 09, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Had it on tap the first time at Datz Deli in Tampa and was very impressed with the smoothness of this beer. Prior to the IPA I had a couple of stouts and the first impression was Passion Fruit, BIG time! Now, I've had a few in bottles, since then and the taste is totally different!

A: Honey golden in color with a 1 inch head that holds beautifully. Good looking lacing after every swig.

S: Fruity, sweet malt, and a little herbaciousness from the hops, I presume.

M: Full round long lasting flavor, with a nice stinging effect on the back palate.

T: Sweet malt at first, citrus follows, and then a nice short-lived bitter kick that entices you to swirl your tulip glass and sip it again and again. This beer gets better as it warms up, trust me.

D: The alcohol is well hidden so you don't feel it, but don't be mistaken, at 9% ABV, it can kick your butt if you're not paying attention.

NOTE: I am not a Hop-head, but so far this is my favorite hoppy brew...by far!

Salud!

Yimosan, May 09, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

I really enjoy this beer. Alcohol is well hidden, easy to drink and a good starter to pull people into the world to great beer.

A: A deep deep copper with a solid inch of head, lacing ran through out.

S: Hops dominate but it is fairly delicate considering how hoppy this beer is. The smell changes in my nose from a light cirtus to scotch. Really its hard to pinpoint anything on the nose other then an inviting hop oil well balanced with a dark malty afterburn that differs depending on how long the beer has been poured. The longer it sits out, the more pronounced the malts become.

T: Hops right off the bat but not overpowering surprisingly. There is a great deal of malt to backbone this beer, although subtle. Carmely yet bitter at the same time, almost to the point that it boggles your melon if the hops is dominating, which it does at the end, or the deep malt flavor is up top.

M: Excellent. Cask beer is unbeatable. This is thick and creamy. I almost want a dollop of Ice cream to go along with it the creamy is so good. Gets slightly syrupy as the beer warms but this is to be expected.

D: Well, I could drink this until, well, until i finished 4-5 and had to call it a night or else I would be out hitting on overweight women and telling them I worked for a fortune 500 company, which of course is very far from the truth.

Side note: Had this beer on tap in Ann Arbor, handpumped at almost room temp. Brought a whole complexity to the beer and made it basically liquid gold.

jpinkard, May 07, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured a pale coper/amber color. Vigorous pouring produced a two-finger head that never really disappeared but did reduce to a thin but noticeable layer. It persisting throughout the entire experience leaving serious lacing.

S: The strong citrusy aroma of hops is clearly dominant. There is something in the background that I can't quite put my finger on due to the hoppiness.

T: Bold up front bitterness and hoppiness that is truly enjoyable.

M: It feels like my mouth is coated a little from the hops oil but it isn't an unpleasant experience. Might be a little vigorous in the carbonation department.

D: Even with the strong flavor and slightly higher carbonation I still found this one easy to drink and very enjoyable. Granted I can start to feel the 9.0% ABV as I'm getting to the end of the glass (I sip and enjoy beer). I would and am going to highly recommend this one to my friends/customers.

BobbyBeerman, May 07, 2009

I had this beer a few weeks ago on tap at Stone, but didn't really know what to expect after having the Bear Republic Apex. This beer has much more malt texture than CA style IPA/Imperial IPA's. To put my taste preference aside, this beer pours great, a darker beer, more like an amber ale color. The smell is somewhat sweet, hoppy, almost floral. The smell reminds me of the Hairy Eye Ball from Lagunitas. Taste is hoppy, but balanced with caramel maltiness, definately has a big malt finish. The carbonation is light, but fits the style. Overall, this is a good Imperial IPA, but if you are looking for West Coast style IPA be warned, the malts are pretty heavy.

rmaste6282, May 07, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (bottled on 1/30/09) into my Dogfish Head snifter.

Unique fruity/floral aroma escape from the bottle the moment you pop the cap. Liquid is a burnt orange, capped by a thin ivory head that settles into a small ring with persistent lacing.

The smell is redolent of hops, but not intensely concentrated. It is a sophisticated and unusual blend of fruit (citrus, persimmon, white grapes) and fresh cut flowers. It is sweet on the palate (all that barley?), a little wood, pine, grapefruit, and spirit show up as you move the beer around your mouth. Finish seems dry on the sides of your tongue, with a mild astringency, yet the sweetness persists as well (caramel, malt). Delicious. Medium bodied with modest but sufficient carbonation. Alcohol level is just right. Clean yet flavorful, maybe a little sweet for the style; not as hop-forward as I was expecting...still, a superior brew.

augustgarage, May 07, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Serving type- 12 ounce bottle poured into a mug.

A- Pours a deep golden yellow, almost amber color, with a finger lace, very nice cling and alot of carbonation activity after the pour.

S- Strong hop presence hits you right away, there is also a nice fruit smell underlining the hops, my guess would be citrus, maybe orange or tangerine. You also can smell a little alcohol to.

T- This is a hoppy beer that also has tastes of orange and tangerine. Very nice flavor combination and this is the reason to buy this beer. This IPA is powerful yet smooth with a nice balance and full body. There is a bitter note that presents itself at the end of the drink. Overall a powerful and well balanced beer.

Have been looking this beer over for awhile and finally broke down and bought a loosy to try. This is a very good DIPA and I am glad that I tried it. As far as other DIPA's go this is on par with the top tier ones. I would definately have this again but I would probably not choose this Imperial IPA first.

cbros, May 07, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a deep amber with a quickly dissipating head that leaves lacing all down the glass. Smells of sticky, piny, citrusy, did I say sticky? Tastes very bitter, but there is a hint of booze. Mouthfeel is great with just enough body and drinkability is high.

merryjoulton, May 06, 2009