90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Another one I polished off at my bachelor party as well as one I should have reviewed a long long time ago.

A: Poured a nice dark peach brown with puffy head that pops and laces down the glass perfectly.
S: The strength of the hops does not smash your pallet but grows quickly and finishes with citurs and grass

T: Piney wet earth and floral accents.

M: NIce and thick but balanced and not overly tangy.

D: Much easier than I remembered and a great examples of how these boys are forging their own kettle in Deleware.

Brianmerrilyn, Jun 14, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

had this at winking lizard as the hoppy handle.
Poured a dark red/orange color with plenty of sudsy dark colored head that stuck to the side of the glass for the entire session. Smell is plenty floral and a little slight citrus, obviously the hops shone through. Taste is very floral with a malt backbone that stuck out. Mouth feel is prickly with plenty of carbonation to stand out and make this one a sipper.

genog, Jun 13, 2008

12 oz bottle into Trappistes Rochefort chalice

A - Nice pour, finger head, brownish, orange, hazy brew

S - Citrus and hops

T-M - Very much like the smell, an extremely citrusy taste; grapefruit, mandarin orange; heavy hop taste as well, which blends nicely...

D - Great IPA brew; exciting to see a brewery doing this with the style; I normally dont session IPAs too much b/c of the lingering bitterness, but I could definitely intersperse this one. Worth checking out, for sure...

QuentinCompson, Jun 13, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

This is my first 90 minute IPA experience. Bottled 03/18/08, so it's 3 months old. Poured it into a goblet, it has a hazy orange-tan color many streams of small bubbles floating up to create a slight lacey white head.
Smells like pine, alcohol and sorta grassy/dirty... odd. No citrus involved here.
Tastes rather creamy... wow I don't consider myself a big fan of IPAs but this good! The malts actually have a creamy toffee like presence. There's even a fruity sweetness and spice. The hops and carbonation provide a nice tingly sensation. As with the nose the hops provide a piney grassy flavor. Has a medium mouthfeel. This is going down rather nicely. I expected the bitterness to be overwhelming but was surprised to find it this tame. I liked the 60 and I like the 90, these are probably the best IPAs I've had. Suggested.

Edit note: As this goes down the color clears to a peach, ice tea color. Lace sticks around real well.

joshwlt, Jun 13, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a bottle into a Delirum Snifter

Let me start this review by stating how long ive waited to drink this beer i had very high hopes for it, hops that i though may not be able to be met.

A-Copper burnt orange color with a nice head and lacing throughout the glass as i drank it

S-Its all here citrus, pine, hops with a certian level of spice to it as well

T-The degree of complexity to this beer spun my head around and the balance of it just did it again smooth smooth smooth, hints of hops, and grapefruit and a wonderful finish that just leaves you wanting another drink i found myself sipping it very lightly and savored the beer for quite a long time. i'd say a meduim to light bodied brew with a good degree of carbonation. I would drink this beer on a regular basis and as soon as it makes its way to springfiled i will do so, it did not let me down and in many ways exceeded my expectations i cant stress enough you can read all these reviews a million times over the only way to truly grasp this one is to have it.

SpecialK088, Jun 12, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

bottle poured into an oversized wine glass

appearance:burnt orange decent carbonation, and a nicely retained thin lazy film of head

smell: a bit of alcohol, with some sweet citrus fruit, a bit of flowers

taste:sweet oranges, sweet malts, a smooth bitterness at the finish. It's tasty it's unobtrusive. It's just so balanced

mouthfeel: it's heavy in body, lots of bubbles and just the right ammount of astringence. Perfect!

drinkability: Ok so it tastes good, it looks nice and it smells good as well. When really brings it together is the mouthfeel though, so smooth, so perfectly cleansing, the carbonation makes the flavors pop perfectly. Awesome beer.

Donnie2112, Jun 11, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

On a hot evening, poured into an oversized wine glass:

A: Hazy golden/bronze with great lacing that somehow didn't take well to my glass.
S: Wonderful. Hops were strong but not overpowering. Somewhat spicy.
T: Good hops but still well-balanced. Dry finish.
M: Moderate body with a decent amount of carbonation.
D: Phew, I'm not a big fan of this style but I could certainly keep going...

HurricaneMo, Jun 11, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Served in a tulip glass. Bottled on date of 5/7/08.

A: Bright orange-apricot color with a large white (yet light orange tinted) head that slowly settles to a nice frothy cap and leaves some spotty patterns of lacing. The color on this DIPA is very impressive, though.

S: Loads of citrus hop aromas with a faint herbal component. Grapefruit, orange, and some pine notes. There is some other kind of fruity ester aroma that I can't exactly put my finger on, but I don't think it's from the hops. Either way, the aroma is both wonderfully bold and complex at the same time.

T&M: Like the nose, a strong citrus hop character blended with a faint herbal pine flavor is up front. Again, an additional yeasty fruit ester is present, followed by some faint toasted malt flavor that comes through in the finish. The mouthfeel is sufficient, but nothing special. The body is a tad thin for me, but not so insufficient as to weaken seriously the quality of the beer.

D: 90 Minute IPA is a tasty DIPA that exemplifies the style nicely. Though not an uber-hop-bomb like some others in the style, it's still got a complex flavor, wonderful aroma, and great appearance.

BamaBeerBuff, Jun 11, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a amber/bronze color with a two finger thick white head, leaving spotty lacing as it retreats. Slight haze, but excellent clarity.

Smells of straight hop oils. Big beautiful hop aroma alot like Stone IPA. Hint of alcohol and malty sweetness but the hops are too powerful to let anything else through.

Massive amount of citrus hops hit the tongue first followed by a slight spicyness. The alcohol rears its head as it warms the back of the thoat on the way down. Finishes dry. Light to moderate body, was expecting a little more mouth texture but still nice.

Overall, this is a scarily poundable DIPA. At 9% you can definately feel the alcohol presence but it's masked well. Not the best DIPA but very worthy of a try for any hop head. Cheers!!

Lenny2884, Jun 10, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +4%

Copper/amber color with nice fluffy 1 finger head. Nice lacing on glass.

Smells of citrus hops along with a nice sweet caramel malt aroma. Very nice.

Tastes of spicy hops and a mellowing caramel & malt sweetness. Balanced perfectly. This is it. Look no further.

Feels spicy & moderately carbonated. Full bodied.

Exceptionally drinkable.

This is my favorite IIPA. Perfectly balanced & delicious. Worth the cost & worth seeking out.

bbothen, Jun 08, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer to me is the most drinkable, sessionable Double IPA on the market. It poured a beautiful amber orange color with a nice pillowy white head. The smell was thick with oily hops, grapefruit and a touch of potent soil. The flavor was a winner with a nice blast of dark, rich hop flavor in the beginning followed by a great balancing malt backbone, and finished by an aftertaste that was dry yet not bone dry and just sweet enough to make you want to come back for more. At 9% abv this beer is dangerous, enjoy!

Dmann, Jun 07, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

12oz bottle
9.0% ABV

I tried this beer on June 6, 2008 at "The Beer Bistro" in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The beer poured a translucent golden brown with a thin white head and a lot of effervescence. The aroma was citrus, perfume, floral hops, some pine, and a little malt. The mouthfeel was medium bodied, medium carboated, and a dry hoppy finish. The flavour was a wallop of grapefruity hops, a little spice, and a little malt. An excellent beer!

cyrenaica, Jun 07, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

90 Minute Imperial IPA
Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Appearance:
The 90 minute pours out clear fiery orange with golden yellow highlights. There is a relatively short head that is quite thick and dissipates rather quick leaving snowflake patterns on the surface as well as some spotty lacing. A few noticeable streams of bubbles race to the surface, a testament to the clear character of the beer.

Smell:
A sweet, rich caramel malt aroma hits the nose first. It doesn't last long, the hops take over. Spicy, floral hop aroma takes center stage and is more sweet than piney.

Taste:
Interestingly, this brew starts strong. The bitter hop notes come in up front, giving way to a smooth, dry finish with a subtle hint of pine that is only slightly bitter. I find the smooth finish rather unique among IPA's. I like it.

Mouthfeel:
This beer has a much thicker and heavier body than I expected. The clarity and presence of bubbles lead me to believe this beer would have a light body. However, the 90 minute has a solid, medium body, briefly masking the carbonation. After a few seconds, the beer begins to foam up in the mouth, bringing forth the carbonation.

Drinkability:
Overall, this is a very solid effort from Dogfish Head. The hop flavors are there, but not overpoweringly bitter. 9% ABV is not extremely high, but right in there for an Imperial. I really enjoy the bitter beginning and the smooth finish of this beer. The smooth finish makes it one of the most drinkable IPA's I have tasted. The absence of bitterness in the finish gives me a craving for more hop flavor, bringing the glass back to my lips, fantastic.

Ben4881, Jun 06, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Had 2 bottles of this 2 years ago when my friend in Florida sent them to me. I thought they were good then, though since I have formed the opinion that I have access to much better here like Pliny, Pure Hoppiness, Hop 15, and Ruination. But now that DFH is again distributing in CA I decided to try it on tap. It pours a straight amber color with a fluffy off white head. It really is superbly balanced between hops and malt for a double IPA. It's got a good resiny hop feel in the mouth, but a good malt backbone that isn't too syrupy. It's not my favorite type of DIPA (I like a more hoppy one) but it's tasty anyway.

MiScusi, Jun 05, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

A - Beautiful clear amber ale color, nice fluffy head. Good carbonation.

S - Very hoppy & citrusy and sweet, bitter but smooth.

T - Pure hops... intense profile, bitter and sweet. 9% abv only slightly noticable in taste. Well balanced overall, defining IPA taste.

M - Medium to slightly heavy bodied, smooth with bitter piney aftertaste, especially if warm.

D - Goes down well, something to sip and savor. Strong but mild enough to be enjoyed frequently. Better than 60 min, not as intense as 120. High on my list.

finkployd, Jun 05, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Ever so hoppy and bitter, a very pleasant flavor. Color is a amber with a thick head which could give you a mustache. The smell of this beer is sort of buttery and hoppy and citrussy. If you do not like it when hops is the dominant flavor, then you probably will not like this beer. Other flavors I detected included cherry, orange and pine. Beer feels relatively heavy and thick while not overly carbonated. For such a big beer, the alcohol is not overwhelming. This beer is really enjoyable and one I would not mind throwing back more then one of these beers.

Anyway between 60, 90 and 120 minute ipas, the 90 stands out as my favorite as it is more intense and flavorful then the 60 minute ipa, but the 120 minute ipa is almost too intense for everyday.

hdofu, Jun 04, 2008

A- Beautiful copper color. Nice head and great lacing.

S- Smells like an IPA nice and citrusy. Sweet smelling

T- Wonderful taste, definitely tastes like a DFH brew. Nice hoppy taste and very good brew.

M- Feels good in the mouth, easy to drink, nice an luscious.

D- Easy to drink, defiantly a worthy brew to drink and enjoy. I love the 120 min IPA and I'm soon going to try the 60 min IPA for a good comparison of the DFH IPA series. Good beer.

Wetpaperbag, Jun 03, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz. brown longneck bottled on: 03/24/08. It pours a red-orange amber gold with a short lasting off-white head of 1/4". Decent carbonation with a ring of foam that leaves dots of lace clinging at best.

The nose is a very earthy hop-malt combination with tea and tobacco coming through strong. A light sweetness of mild citrus and more earth lead the way to the taste of this well hopped brew.

Mildly sweet with tangelo and pink grapefruit leading to a very earthy tea-tobacco combo that is very nicely balanced. Tastes like a hopped-up strong English ale, with the alcohol so well masked, you'ld never guess it was 9% ABV.

This is one tasty brew with a medium-plus body that drinks like session...in every sense!

A solid brew of this style with a flavor all it's own...glad to see it back here in SoCal!

scottoale, Jun 02, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -7%

Poured reddish gold with smallish head. Huge aroma of hops and sweet malts. Initial sweet malts (citrus and caramel) is quickly dominated by hops. Seriously bitter aftertaste which lasts for a long time. Big taste. Fretty full mouthfeel. Fairly well balanced for such a hoppy beer. I'm not a hophead but I can appreciate this beer.

RomanW70, Jun 01, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

Had a 90 last night at The Chicken Bone on Boylston Street near Fenway Park last night. Came served in a DFH branded snifter, which was a nice surprise. Appears golden orange in color, with a wispy head and lots of lacing on the glass. The smell was a bit tingly on the nose, and the hops are definitely present. Now, as someone who does not consider myself a hop head, I was interested to see what I thought of this beer. I have not had one of these in years, and I thought it was time to revisit it. I guess my palate has changed, because it was really good. Yes, it was hoppy, but it wasn't overpowering like other hop bombs I've tried. This one was very smooth and mellow, allowing me to enjoy every sip as I slowly savored it. I think it got even more drinkable as it warmed to room temp. I still can't believe that this is a double/imperial IPA with 9% abv. DFH has really made an enjoyable hoppy beer for us all. I just wish it hadn't been so long since my last one now.

morebeergood, May 31, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -14%

Pours a peachy-orange with a big fluffy cream-colored head with good retention. Very thick lacing right off the bat as the head fades away. High carbonation visible and rushing up to feed the head.

Smells a lot lighter than some of the other strong IPA's I've had. Probably because of the lack of flavoring hops. Still sort of a "tease" of an aroma- a mixture of super sweet ruby red grapefruit with an underlying floral character.

The bittering hops work well with the alcohol. Not overwhelmingly bitter, actually a fairly mild IPA in terms of bitterness. Some more mellow bready malts in there as well as some faint crystal that's pretty evident in the color as well, but it gives a very slight nutty sweetness.

Mouthfeel is very nice- sort of rounded and Belgiany but finishes crisp and dry. Drinkable because it's not extreme in any particular area, but I do think the recipe makes an error in leaving out a strong flavoring hop contribution. I don't really feel like I'm getting much of a hop character in any particular aspect of the beer, but maybe I was just expecting something a little more extreme from a brewery known for extreme beers and for a beer with such a strong name.

wiseguy142, May 29, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -21%

Pours a vibrant, rich amber with a light head, which dissipates quickly but leaves good lacing. . The aroma is strong and malty. The flavor is overwhelmingly sweet and sticky, with strong caramel and some hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is thick and viscous. This is an interesting beer but not one I'd sit and drink more than one of. It's drinkability is hurt severely by it's vast size and sticky, viscous character.

Seanibus, May 29, 2008

Found a few strays at the local grocery store, hiding in the tiny craft beer section. I feel pretty much the same about this as I did when I had it on tap a few years ago. It's a solid beer, it's not bad, but it's not my favorite DIPA.

It pours a lovely rusty orange color with a fair amount of head and some lacing. Smells earthy and grassy and malty. Taste is malty-er than expected, and overshadows the hops some. But the earthy and grassy flavors help balance it all out.

Mouthfeel is slick and chewy, and overall, this is highly drinkable, especially for 9%. Still, I'd prefer to sit down with the 60 minute. But not at all shabby.

scooter231, May 28, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours Golden amber with an orange tint. A decent head and lace. The aroma is piney,hops,fruity and hints of malt.

The taste is sweet,full of hops and bitterness with a good balance of malts. The alcohol is in the background. The beer is really fruity.
The overall feel is oily,medium carbonation with hop bitterness.

Notes: A well balanced brew. Not sweet in an overwhelming way,just fruity and full of hops.
I think I really,really,really, like this beer-really. I will buy a six pack next time. Never mind the ABV,full steam ahead.

Lexluthor33, May 26, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +11%

A: Deliciously dark amber with an orangish hue. Small receding head but finishes with a nice lacing down my pint glass.

S: Outstanding. I think the aroma off this brew should be the definition of an IPA. It's amazing.

T: Once again, outstanding. Bold and beautiful. Full bodied and in complete balance with the huge malt and hop bill in this one.

M: Smooth and slightly undercarbonated for my ideal brew. BUT, this has got to be one of my favorites overall.

D: With a whopping 9%, this one is just too much to quaff more than one or two at a session. Overall, this is one of the more outstanding beers I've ever come across period.

Saunapoika, May 25, 2008