90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Had this on tap, I know I've had it before from the bottle but never wrote a review.

This pours a very nice orange copper color with a small head. You can smell the piny sitrus of the hops and it has that hop citrus flavor in a big, bold way but not overpowering with bitterness which makes it quite drinkable. Surpisingly high in alcohol even though I could drink a lot of these.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a hazy orange with a nice head and lacing.

Smells of very fruity hops and a whiff of sweet malt.

Taste is very well balanced with grapefruity hops up front followed by a honey like sweetness finishing smooth and bitter. There is slight alcohol present.

Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, yet extremely smooth and creamy.

Very easy drinking DIPA at 9% and even though you can taste the alcohol its hidden well enough.

3.5/5  rDev -18%

Had this for the first time at my go-to local bar just after they had put in a new keg. I've had the 60 Minute a number of times before but this was my first experience with 90 Minute.

Appearance- Comes off the tap a deep amber-bronze with a lot of beading carbonation throughout the body but only a slight cap of fizzy off-white head that dies back almost immediately to a very thin ring.

Smell- Fresh piney hops initially but followed closely but a strong presence of caramel maltiness. I had heard this was sweet for a DIPA, but I still wasn't prepared for the amount of malt that came through even on the nose.

Taste- Again, starts out with a strong and bitter punch of piney hops. However, what strikes me with this beer is the level of evident balancing malt sweetness. Lots of sweet caramel coming through again on the palate towards the finish and does a lot to balance out the hops.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Oddly, despite the lack of substantial head on this beer when it came out, the carbonation in the body of the beer seemed a bit prickly, which made the mouthfeel seem a touch thin. Drinkability was pretty decent but I found the sweetness to cut in on it a bit.

Overall, a solid DIPA but not one of my favorites. If you are into a detectable balancing sweetness and pine over fruit flavors in your IPA/DIPA, then this would probably be right up your alley. In the end for me though, despite being a solid beer, the sweetness crept up on me a bit too much.

2.11/5  rDev -50.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a light see-thru amber with 1.5 fingers of off-white head. This settles down in short order to a skim. Little lacing is left.

Toffee, brown sugar and molasses, oh my. Much to my surprise, this 'imperial IPA' turns out to be a real malt bomb (after my experience with Burton Baton, maybe I shouldn't be so surprised). There's a decent level of citrusy bitterness fighting for attention, but it's drowned out by a load of sticky sweetness. The hops simply aren't given a chance to shine. Medium-bodied without sufficient carbonation to pry loose the sweetness from the palate.

Overall impression: Disappointing take on the style.

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

This beer poured a dark almost purple amber with a creamy off white head that remained throughout the first half and left great lacing!

The taste starts off slightly overwhelming with hops but proceeds to mellow out into an orangey citrus taste that finishes with a smooth almost oaked taste.

I was a little taken back by the price but then tasted every cent later on that night making it completely worth it!

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Pours a clear bronze color with a 2 fingers thick creamy head with some light lacing.

S: Floral hops is the most prevalent scent to me but the are citrus hints and maybe some caramel.

T: Hints of honey up front with some slight caramel characteristics. It finishes with a nice hoppy flavor along with a slight wood and alcohol bite.

M: Medium body with slight carbonation and a nice hop presence, not as smooth as some other IPAs but still smooth for 9%.

D: Excellent IPA, love the hops, but beware of the 9% as it will catch up quickly.

3.94/5  rDev -7.7%

Not a fan of IPA's, but this is high rated IPA, so I figured I'd give it a shot...

A: Looks very good. Nice medium copper color with a tiny white head that quickly fades to a small lace.

S: Smells hoppy, earthy, and grassy upfront. Not much else going on in this one.

T: Not much upfront. Kind of a hoppy cinnamon bun taste in the middle. Grapefruity taste blended in the middle as well. Slighly grassy on the backend. Not bad.

M: Very refreshing leaving a slight hop taste on the back of your palate.

D: Goes down super easy with an awesome smoothness. Ver nice.

All in all, this is a good brew. If you like IPA's you will definitely enjoy. It offers the same as a standard IPA but also brings some interesting flavors to the table. If you like the sweeter side of beer, then this is not for you.

4.21/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A: Light copper color with orange hues, two finger head and great sticky lacing.
S: Malty sweetness at the nose. Some hops, citrus mostly. Smell gets the smell of dark fruit and booze as it warms.
T: Maltier than I expected. Definatly not overally bitter, a little too well balanced for me.
M: Wet, creamy and smooth, nicely carbinated.
D: Very drinkable, but be carefull with the high ABV.

Very solid, BALANCED DIPA.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

*Poured into a tulip style pint glass*

Appearance:

Two finger head, mostly creamy. Body is a cloudy copper and relatively clear, you can actually see through the glass.

Smell:

Malts, citrus, grapefruit and maybe a hint of roasted caramel.

Taste:

Very hoppy and tart with a hint of grapefruit. A dry finish and also I could taste some of the alcohol.

Mouthfeel:

Very warming mouth feel that goes down easy. The aftertaste will finish dry.

Drinkability:

Goes down extremely smooth for a beer with such high ibu's and abv.

This is an excellent IPA but I do not like the slight hint of alcohol in the aftertaste. I think the 60 minute IPA is much better for my taste because it is not as intense. Still overall I rate this beer 9/10.

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a clear dark copper with a good head and decent lacing. Aroma of grapefruit, some pine, caramel malt and a bit of toastyness. Taste is well balanced. Plenty of grapefruit, pine and some pepperyness. Malt is caramel and biscuit and is well balanced with the bitterness. I am also detecting some toastyness in the finish. The 9% alcohol is completely hidden and does not show up till the beer is in my belly. Mouthfeel is medium with a nice long finish that ends up surprisingly dry. Drinkablilty is good for a double IPA. One of my go-to IPAs.

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- Amber in color. A 2 inch foamy sudsy head. Leaves an incredible amount of lacing.

S- Floral scents and piney/earthly scents. Citrus is also present.

T- Hops up front followed by malts and honey that blends nicely with the bitnerness of the hops. It's almost kind of sweet. There is alcohol present, however, it's not over the top. The citrus rounds this one out and I'm very happy with this beer right now.

M- Smooth and almost creamy believe it or not. Carbonation is dead on. I get a small burn form the alcohol in my throat after each swallow, however, I like that it's there.

D- Really good! Only downside is that if I were to drink 8 of them I'd be on the floor!

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from jprime. Nice copper pour with thin white head. Aroma is mainly cookie dough, lots of peppery hop some nuts and toffee too. Taste is relatively sweet, brandy like with a bitter hoppy backdrop. Very palatable beer, carbonation just managing to break through all that syrupy sweetness. The bottle was a little old and thus a little less hoppy, which I liked. One of the best Imperial IPA I've had, thanks again Jeff.

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

Big aroma with citrus and candied dates.

A beautiful medium clear amber color with a pillowy white head that completely fails to smother the wonderful aroma.

The taste is perfect for an American ipa. Balanced sweet malts with pronounced American hops.

The texture of the beer is medium-heavy with enough substance to encourage meditation.

Great finish with no unpleasant side notes.

Ridiculously drinkable. A real pleasure.

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Ruby amber, with burnt orange highlights. Slightly hazy from the amount of hops in there. Poured a 3 finger head of slightly off-white color with tight bubble retention. Beautiful lacing down the glass.

S: Luscious caramel malt, honey, dried fruit, perfumed with hops and a hint of oakiness?

T: Initial splash is sweet malt, floral hops followed by slightly fruit, citrusy hops and a quick, bitter bite. A decent amount of toasted caramel malt, dried fruit and honey. This beer finishes off with a warm, honey-sweet alcohol taste. Luxurious!

This brew is waaay sweeter than I expected and the complex layering of hops is astounding. You would think they brewed this with 4-5 different kinds of hops - maybe they did. But the real beauty here is the malt just frames the hops without overpowering them.

M: Very well carbonated for a 9% abv beer.

D: If I had the tolerance and money I would buy this with every opportunity I could.

If you have the chance to drink this beer DON'T MISS IT!

3.34/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours a deep amber gold color with a thick bubbly head that lingers for quite some time. Bubbles seem to rise from the bottom in perpetuity.

Smell is nothing like a typical IIPA. Very malty in aroma, with some hops coming through ever so slightly.

Taste is of sweet caramel and bready malts. Some grapefruit hops coming through as well. Alcohol is also detectable, this might be the most malty IIPA I have ever encountered. Interesting beer, worth trying but by no means a hop bomb.

Mouthfeel is thicker for an IIPA, medium/high carbonation with a big finish.

Drinkability is decent, probably won't be seeking out this beer again.

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this beer several times... A couple times at Toronado and a couple times at Stone. Every time I happen to come across this beer, it tastes different. The most recent time was a couple nights ago at Stone Brewery. For some odd reason, I don't know if it was that particular batch... But it wasn't anything like I remembered. It looked nice the small 8 oz. tulip glass they served it in. A little bit of head, smelled awesome. The taste just didn't do it for me this time. What I remember it to be all those previous times I've had it was awesome. I rated it as one of my faves. Unfortunately, it didn't do me any good this last time. We'll see what happens the next time it rolls around...

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Close to perfection.

Unlike other hoppy beers, DFH90 doesn't leave your mouth all puckered up. Instead, it is intense, and smooth.

Flavor is sweet and bitter, grapefruit, honey, toffee, and malt, with a heady smokey cedar wood overtone.

Mouthfeel is powerful, but not astringent. Clean finish.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

A - Nice reddish orange IPA color with a decent head and a bit of lacing.

S - Sweeter than I was expecting, a lot of carmel malts with the hoppyness coming in. A tough citrus, a little pine, but mostly floral hops.

T - Sweet and creamy tasting with some nice hops. Quite a bit sweeter than I would have liked, but not so overpowering that it detracts from the hoppyness of the IPA. Even get a nice vanilla taste on this one.

M - A bit too creamy for me, but not horribly bad, I like my IPAs to be a little lighter with more bite.

D - Highly drinkable for 9%, I threw back two before I realized how high the ABV was.

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured into a snifter...

A: pours a reddish orange with good clarity, and a large off white head which I honestly didn't expect given the high ABV. Leaves good loops and arches of lacing and good head retention

S: mmm..sweetness. cherries, and tropical fruits, cedar, toast, honey, and rich caramel.

T: rich and sweet honey and caramel malt up front, blended well with grapefruit and grapefruit peel, tropical fruits, cherry, and a toasty, woody character. Finishes with caramel sweetness, grapefruit peel, black cherry, and alcohol.

M: smooth and creamy, much more so than one would expect from an IPA(in a good way). leaves a thin, oily layer on the cheek and tongue. still finishes sharp and off-dry with a wonderful acidic hop tingle and warming effect from alcohol.

Overall, a four pack is worth every bit of 14 dollars. This may very well be the best IIPA i've had the pleasure of trying. I loved the tropical fruit and cherry character throughout this one.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Got a keg of this on tap in my basement. Poured into a standard pint glass. Comes out of the tap a nice hazy copper color with a big cram colored head that tins out very nicely. Lots of lacing on the glass, it's like one of those commercials. You can see each time you take a sip. Tons going on in the nose. Expected citrus/pineapple hoppy smell goes along with the grassy/bitter smells.

Taste is where this one really shines. Amazing bitter flavor up front gives way to toffee and other sweet flavors. Finishes very clean with a lasting bitter aftertaste. Not bad in any way, but lasting. It's almost sticky in the mouth, body closer to a porter than a normal IPA, and not overly carbonated.

As for drinkability, like I said, this one is on tap in the basement. I have it at least three days a week. It's what I measure all other IPA's up against. I've had better, but this one is definitely top notch.

4.07/5  rDev -4.7%

A: soft, cream-colored head, amber colored beer with steady bubbles. Nice looking.

S: honey, grapefruit, sweet and citrusy

T: up front is amazing honey malt just like the nose only bolder and rich. Powerful hop presence comes through next, very citrusy. Finish has some noticeable alcohol burn, especially as it warms. I was impressed most by the balance in this big brew. The hops are big but the sweetness is just as large.

M: smooth, creamy, not as carbonated as anticipated

D: uh, this one is really strong. I'm content with just one, and it's drinkable at that. Just a really dynamic and flavorful beer, bold yet balanced.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

355ml bottle purchased by my girlfriend at Beer World in Largo, FL. As a hop head, I've been waiting to try this beer for quite some time. Rated as one of the best brews in the U.S., so I'm expecting a lot here. Pours a cloudy orange/amber with a ring of eggshell white head and stringy lace on the pint glass. Smell and taste are cedar needles, citrus zest, orange peel, sweet and toasty caramel malt, tangerine, and bitter hops. Grapefruit on the nose but not in the flavour. A bit woody as well. The alcohol is more prominent than I anticipated. Creamy and smooth mouthfeel, somewhat syrupy, great bite from the hops, sticky and dry finish is surprisingly balanced. An east coast DIPA in the truest sense of the term, as the IBUs are kept in check by a strong malt presence. Great beer.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

A-pours a solid orange with a quarter inch or so white head
S-a nice dose of piney/citurs/grapefruit hops with a biscuty backbone with a little bit of alcohol presence
T-alot more malt presence but still a hoppy brew, and excellent balance of piney/citrusy hops with a great bready malt backbone with a slight alcoholic burn there is alot going on in this beer with a little bit of woodiness and vanilla in the background very complex and enjoyable with a great balance of malt and hops
M-a medium body with a decent carbonation that carries a much fuller finish due to the alcohol
D-a very good brew with a complex taste and is still pretty refreshing for being 9% but still is a beer that must be drunk with caution

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

Total Wine Palm Beach Gardens store, Publix grocery small qty's not always in stock.
I 'm always in search of a well hopped Ale and this one did not dissappoint me. Hoppy nose, (hallertau? goldings? nice blend of hops,malt taste ,dry finish.
Medium Amber color with some yeast in the bottom of the bottle, small fine bubbles, served best around 40-50°
Thought a Barley Wine but an extremely good IPA.
as well their 60 min IPA
$10 for 4 12oz bottles

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Great looking head and lacing on this beer. The aroma is very strong and pleasant. It finishes very hoppy but is a very drinkable beer, especially for the ABV.
This is one of my favorite beers from Dogfish Head Brewery and currently my favorite IPA.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery