90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

After hearing everyone go on and on about how good Dogfish Head is, Brick Store finally got the 90 min. on tap.
Served in the Dogfish Head glass, I assume is specifically for this beer. Looked a light orange and thick head that went away quickly. Smelled of citrus rind and pine oil, just enough sweetness to let you know it's still there.
First sip, notice grapefruit rind and some piney hops and, again, enough malt to remind you that this is just not hop nectar.
The bitter rind seemed to subside some as the beer had a chance to breathe, or maybe I just got used to it.
Light mouthfeel and carbonation. The bitterness didn't linger too long after each sip, just begging you to take another.
Very drinkable, but maybe not more than one or two. Don't think I or my taste buds could take a whole sixer.
If the 90 min. is this good I can't wait for others to start trickling in, so, hopefully, this will be the first in a long line of Dogfish Head coming the Georgia way.

gabeerfan, Feb 22, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Quite possibly the most complete beer on the planet...especially if you're a hophead like myself. It also may be the most consistent beer I've ever tasted- Dogfish does it again and again every time I taste this nectar of the beer gods. No need or desire to sample the 120 minute, this is the real deal right here.

djamieson, Feb 19, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an oversized wine glass. Color is a vibrant yellow orange with some carbonation. A small head quickly retreated leaving a patchy head leaving almost no lace. Smell is a fruity hop blast with alcohol ethers intensifying the over all smell. Taste is fuit blend, really seems to be tropical like in nature. PIney hops are there too, along with the alcohol. Full yet dry mouthfeel. You have to stay with these once you start, the palate is crushed. The 90 minute is a strong beer best suited for a bottle or two at a time.

crayphish, Feb 19, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

12 oz. bottle, bottled on 11/03/06. Tasting next to a Hercules DIPA.

A truly awesome beer. A glowing orange. A deliciously light citrusy syrup-like sweetness to offset the hops. I think I smell/taste a hint of banana. I'm trying to think of what this could use..maybe a little bit more carbonation? The mouthfeel is great as is though. So very drinkable, it's dangerous.

App - 4.5, Smell - 4.0, Taste - 4.5, Mouth - 4.0, Drink - 4.5

nase, Feb 19, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -7%

Note: This bottle was cellared for about 2 years prior to opening.

Appearance: honey/peach, white head, poured 1 finger thick and dropped quickly leaving some lace. Good carbonation.

Smell: Yeast, caramel, pine resin, old tea, herbal with light spiciness.

Taste: Very balanced with slight hop bitterness growing and fighting with the sweetness all the way through, spices blending with alcohol, slightly buttery, muted tealike hops, two layered finish with dry bitterness and wet sweetness sitting side by side.

Body is medium/full to full, overall very good after all this time, but I think it is one IPA I prefer fresh.

xymyl, Feb 18, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance: After pour, 1 and a half finger head, which stuck around for a bit and left a nice lacing down the mug. Beer is a light golden color.

Smell: Hops are dominant in the smell. There are some citrus undertones and the smell of alcohol is present.

Taste: Again, hops dominate. Very tasty beer, but the hops definitely provide a bitter bite which dominates in this brew. Alcohol can definitely be picked up as well. On the outskirts are some floral and citrus flavors, but pine prevails. For what it's worth, it is very sugary and sweet. Perhaps too sweet.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Something about this beer seems to have a bite to it. It's a very good beer and I could drink a few. But, I think there's two or three DIPAs out there that I'd rather have. Yulesmith, Dreadnaught, and Ruination to point them out. Overall, very good, but I've had better in this class.

prototypic, Feb 18, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Wow, what a first sip. A very good mix of light fruits & hops. Not as hoppy as I thought it would be, but that's fine.
A - The head & lacing stay around for a while and it's very frothy. The color is like that of a White Zinfandel wine, but a little bit more brown to it.
S - I wish I could get a better smell of it, but I have allergies at the moment. From what I can get, it's a fruity and hoppy smell, which is typical.
T - The taste is truly incredible. A nice sweetness, with hops, fruit, and light malt. I can't say much, just that it's great. I want to give it a 5, but I know there's room for improvement and it was disappointing when I had it on tap.
M - The mouthfeel is great too. It's creamy and smooth all the way through.
D - The drinkability is ridiculous. I will have to buy a 4-pack of this because I am wishing I didn't buy only a single bottle. I love DIPA's. I love Dogfish. This is one of the best beers I've had to date.

Gatch, Feb 17, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

the color of this beer is an autumn yellow w/a hint of brown... the smell isn't over powering- in fact the smell is a suprising calm hoppy smell.... with a 90 min. i expected more of a hit you in the face type of aroma... the taste has a bit of an after taste to it and a touch of alcohol feel to the mouth... all in all a good drinking beer in small quanities

484dan, Feb 17, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Bottled on 1/15/06
Searching through stash I came across a year old 90 min so I thought I'd give it a try.
Poured into a tulip a bronze color with thick sticky eggshale colored lace.
Aroma is full of floral hops. Smells like a fresh spring garden. Oh how I long for spring.
One year later this beer still has that hop bite. Lot's of herbal and floral tasting hops. Hints of pine and citrus are intertwined as well. One year old this is still a hop bomb. Slight warming alcohol finish.
Mouthfeel is like a syrupy velvet. It's better than that, but that's the best way I can describe it.
Oh man this isn't only drinkable...it's dangerous.

wcudwight, Feb 16, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a clear golden color with a subtle amber hue. A full finger off eggshell color foamy head fades fairly quickly, but is kept alive by visible carbonation. Lacing is present.

The aroma is an indirect mix of hops and sweet malt.

The mouth feel is immediately hoppy and complemented by a rich carbonation that tends to lighten things up. The flavor sweet, but nicely balanced with lingering notes from the hops.

You get a sense of the alcohol, but the beverage is quite drinkable. Nicely done.

jjayjaye, Feb 13, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

12 oz bottle in a pint glass . With World Party on in the backround . God Bless Karl Wallinger .

A- Gold sandy brass color with nice off-white head . Reddish hue come throught when you hold it up to the light .

S- Hops . very hoppy & fragrant . Still the aroma is not as pronounced as the 120 IPA . Not knowing what hoppy beer taste like til I started drinking the DFH IPA 's .

T & M - Very flavorful with nice lacing on the glass . This brew is much more enjoyable than the 120 . It was very good . This will be in my fridge again .

Kudashov, Feb 10, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from the bottle into a Dogfish Head bulbed pint glass. Decent sized head that was lasting and left good lacing. Smell was hops, hops, and more hops! Taste was more of the same with a good malt balance and a unique spiciness. Hopse were present in every sensory aspect. The mouthfeel was the only setback. The beer left a slight abrasive feel on the palate, but nothing overshadowing the other wonderful aspects of this beer. Not something I will drink every day, but I'll enjoy it when I do.

atsprings, Feb 06, 2007
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance: Crystal clear copper, inviting one inch off-white foamy head reduces to a thick quarter inch lacing, completely covering the top of the beer.

Smell: Big sweet and floral hops in the nose immediately, notes of coffee, roasty malt.

Taste: Alcohol sweetness and warmth, sweet malt, maple like sweetness, then a huge does of floral hops in the nose, roasted coffee beans and breadiness in the finish cleans it up.

Mouthfeel: Nice smooth and creamy, medium carbonation, full bodied, too heavy for a session beer in my opinion, and rightly so.

Drinkability: Definitely one of the best IPAs in my opinion, complex, different phases, nice and hoppy but it has a lot of other things going, leaves me feeling clean.

guitarmage, Feb 04, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Bottle acquired via trade with Hogtown Harry. Pours a perfect amber hue. Smell is more of malts than hops which surprised me. For an imperial IPA, the taste is way more balanced than expected. Hops/bitterness were quite subdued relatively speaking. Very creamy mouthfeel. Malt flavours I'm picking up include tobacco, which dries out the finish. Drinkability is quite high for the style. A very well done brew.

oakbluff, Feb 04, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Beautiful white bubble-bath like head. This beer is amber, and crystal clear. It is mesmerizing to watch the bubbles flow up through the beautiful body of this brew.

S: Very hoppy. Cutrus and pine dominate. Sweet malty aroma also pulls through, impressive for how hoppy of a beer this is.

T: This beer has several layers of flavor. It is a very entertaining experience. Crystal and pale malt first, followed by beautiful american hops, followed by another wave of toasty malts and finishes off with a spicy kick from the alcohol.

M: Thick and slick. Lots of body and a nice oily feeling from the high abv.

D: Excellent brew. Very smooth and yet so powerful. Lots of flavor and very enjoyable. A good session beer despite its 9%abv.

Avagadro, Feb 03, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

I have been hearing so much about this beer for so long. It was time I took the trip to Wisconsin for a four-pack to see what all the hype was about.

The beer pours a slightly hazy, rich amber color. It starts off with a one-half inch head that slowly dissapates over time, coating the side of the glass. Effervescence is little, but still present.

On the nose, there is a pronounced floral hop aroma, with a slight hint of malt on the back end, but not overly intense. Present, there are aromas of pine, grass, and fruit.

On the palate, the beer starts off slightly sweet, but is followed by an incredibly dry hop flavor. There are hints of honey, ctrus and pine. It finishes dry, but pleasant. The flavor lasts for seconds.

This is a good, full-bodied IPA. It expresses incredible viscosity that coats the entire mouth and retains the flavor for long after each sip.

At 9% ABV, this brew expresses almost flawless balance between malt and hops. It is an incredible Imperial IPA, and is one of the best that I have tried to this day.

WYVYRN527, Feb 01, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz bottle poured in a tulip glass...

if i try to review this, it will probably be the same has hundreds of others below ... so, i say "ditto!" a very solid 4.0+ beer.

one damn good brew. if a ba and have not had this yet (or any dogfish xmin), what is wrong with you?

drink up and enjoy!

cheers!

koolchas, Jan 30, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Quite the popular beer, as this reveiw is number 1006. Not sure if my 2 cents are worth very much at this point for Dogfish Head's 90 Min IPA, but such is the spirit of beer karma...

Appears light golden in color, very whitish-tan head that quickly dissipates and leaves almost no lacing. A bit too clear for me, but what lurks in this transparent ale is pure IPA goodness. The aroma is a blend of sweet pear, sour apple mash and whiskey-esque hops, overall a very pleasing boquet. Bubbly citrus and flowery notes as well.

The taste is difficult to nail down...all I can say for sure is that this beer is fucking tasty. Some citrus, plenty o' hops, and barley. Mouthfeel is juicy and crisp, with a great hoppy bite on the end. Definately refreshing, could use a minor adjustment of the carbonation level though...keyword is minor. What can I really say about the drinkability? It's very palatable, has lots of complexity, and I'll definately be having this imperial IPA again very soon.

wagenvolks, Jan 30, 2007
4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance: Copper coloured. A little darker than your average IPA. Small half-finger head on the pour.

Smell: I took a whiff from the bottle and Holy Wow. So much hops it's almost comical. There is a slightly candy-ish sweet aroma coming through.

Taste: I've never had an IPA(Imperial or otherwise) that is this sweet, initially. It is a pleasant sweet, however and as I think about it, not overpowering. Obviously DFH tried to somehow counteract the hoppy bitterness with a gigantic mal backbone. The sweetness turns into a sort of salty aftertaste. I can definately taste the booziness(9%) when I roll it over my tongue.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation. Thick and oily mouthfeel leaves a residual hop coating on your tongue.

Drinkability: I don't think I could handle more than one in a night. Very sweet and thick. The ABV is high too so I don't think it would be wise to polish off a 4-pack of these.

Overall: This is quite the experience. I'm a CDN so these beers don't make it up to the Great White North unless we bring em back ourselves. I can't say I've ever had anything like this. The sweet malty backbone with the insane hop profile makes this one of the more memorable beers I've ever had.

Hornet2003, Jan 27, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Took the bottle out of the fridge, opened it and poured it in my favorite glass, so this one was cold. Golden amber in color with a white head. Nothing impressive in the head retention department. Seemed to smell the malt first before the hops, which surprised me. Also detected a bit of a citrus smell. Very well balanced for a double. At first I thought it was a little malty, but with additional sips I alternated between hoppy and malty and back to hoppy, so for me that's a good sign of a balanced beer. A little piney on the back of the tongue, but that's what I expect in an IPA. Medium/full body.

BeerCheese, Jan 24, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

This review will be based on a fresh 90minute(2007) vs. a 1year aged 90 minute(2006). Served from 12oz bottles to pint glasses side by side. This review will be scored on the fresh vintage and the aged is there for pleasure.

2007 Appearance: This beer pours a very clean and clear hue of copper and amber. A pure white head stood up roughly a finger and a half high, then settled to just a white ring around my glass with a few islands. Many columns of beading can be found within.

2006 Appearance: Wow! This one poured very cloudy. Murky shades of burnt orange and the head remained a bright white with the same settlement as the fresh. I can barely see the beading inside,but it does still remain within.

2007 Smell: The aroma starts off with a spicy peppery hop.Citrusy orange in the middle and a smooth lightly caramel malt aroma.

2006 Smell: Mmmm. Smells more sweet and citrusy than the fresh. More fruity esters come out and even a hint of Belgian ale breadiness comes through. This has become much more malty in the nose.

2007 Taste: A clean taste of grassy and citrus hop bursts in my mouth followed by a very expressive amount of alcohol. This one has slight bitterness throughout, but not bad by any means. Sticky sweet malts are noted, but balanced very well with the hops.

2006 Taste: Whoa! This has drastically changed.This one starts off with sweet orange, spicy(peppery) on the tongue, and very delightful peanut brittle towards the finish. This has become a malt bomb. The hops are still there but has become noticably less aggressive. The alcohol seems to remain the same intencity,but masked a little better.

2007 Mouthfeel: Thinner side of medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation. Sticky, bitter, and a bunch of alcohol that drys out the palate.

2006 Mouthfeel: Thicker side of medium bodied with slightly less carbonation than the fresh. Sticky, malty, much less bitter and the alcohol is not as drying. Perhaps the hops is the drying factor on the palate?

2006-2007 Drinkability: This beer has always been a pleasure to drink. Basically, fresh equals more citrus and a hop bitterness versus the aged, still citusy, but less profound and more malty rather than hoppy. Both are extremely wonderful and easy to drink. I would like to try this with other great beers from Dogfish Head. Two thumbs up all the way and as always...

Cheers2Beers

cheers2beers, Jan 23, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

on tap at sunset grill in boston. pors light auburn and you can definitly smell the hop presence. looks tasty and smells juicy. definitly hop loaded, not as alcohol tasting as other double ipa's i've had. overall real smooth. almost creamy. definitly a great beer. left me wanting a few more but alas. there are 100 beers on tap so others ust be tried.

scarletfire79, Jan 22, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clean pint glass.

It poured golden with light carbination/activity. Not much head, just a light lacing that also stuck to the side of the glass as the beverage was consumed.

A strong well balanced aroma of hops and malt.

A strong taste of hops and malt that left no aftertaste. It had a medium body that went down just a tad bit rough.

I found it to be very drinkable.

Rennpferd, Jan 22, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Presentation: A 12 oz bottle with a freshness date present.

Appearance: A very nice head that laced down till the end. A very hazy golden color that looks very appetizing.

Smell: A massive hit of hop aroma with a subtle herb smell as well. I also hinted fruits and sweet malts.

Taste: An extremely hopy taste with a whole lot of bitterness and a ton of hop oils. I enjoyed the ripe fruit and alcoholic kick as well.

Mouth-Feel: A very Crisp smooth mouth-feel that finished great as well.

Drink-Ability: A very great beer with tons of hop taste and a very drinkable beer. Ad this one to your list!

mnesporov, Jan 18, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -26.4%

On tap at Dogfish Head brewpub, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

Slightly darker amber than the 60 minute, small head leaves little lacing.

Similar full on aromatic floral, piney hop aromas, but also some alcoholic warmth.

Nicely bitter and intesely complex hops in the taste, long dry finish. However, the excess alcohol is not well integrated and comes across as sweet and hot in the mouth. I definitely prefer the 60 minute's crisp dry aromatic hop attack, not sure why one would choose the 90 unless you want to get wasted fast...

kenito799, Jan 15, 2007