90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter

A- pours a nice golden copper color, small white head that disappears, great lacing

S- super hoppy smelling, citrus and pine aromas present

T- hops, bitter but not overly so, alcohol, grapefruit, pine

M- the mouthfeel of this one is perfect, smooth as butter, it will attack your taste buds if you have too many of them, perfect balance of carbonation

D- very easy to take down but at the price you want to savor this one, this has become one of my staple IPA's

4.45/5  rDev +4%

Comparing this to the 60 Minute is really night and day. The 60 is an excellent and refreshing companion, but the 90 feels more mature and powerful.

It's also bloody good.

It poured into my Duvel glass with a small white head, thin and bubbly; surprisingly, it didn't leave a ton of lace or stickiness. The beer itself is a really gorgeous orange amber colour.

The smell is of rich hops, florals and fresh bread, with lemony and brown sugar undertones. Sweet and mellower than expected. Nice balance.

The taste shows similarly fine balance, and for that it must be commended. It's got rosemary, lemon, rich (not astringent) hops and spicy/floral notes, but on the other hand retains a big malty and sweet character with brown sugar, bread and earthy tones. I personally really like the sweetness of it, especially as it blends with lingering hoppy flavours long into the finish of the sip.

Mouthfeel is also well done, it's slick but not overly oily or mouth-sappingly dry. Full, fresh and smooth.

The drinkability is a bit of a conundrum. Nine per cent alcohol makes for a big, warming presence in this beer, and in terms of its flavour and feel it's built to savour rather than quaff. Just drinkable enough to have one bottle and be satisfied for a while.

4.58/5  rDev +7%

A- amber with about a quarter inch of foam and light lacing

S- floury hop smell to it. Very pleasant

T- great, one of my favorite beers right now. I'm a fan of IPA's and the taste of this one is a step above the rest. Having had the 60 min version it is definitely a step above even if you can only get it in four packs. This light malt flavor and strong presence of hops is something that you have to try if your a fan of IPAs.

M- light carbonation makes this beer very smooth and a great drink

D- very drinkable, its a smooth beer with a great taste. What's not to like?

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%

12 ounce bottle, no freshness date.

Pours a light amber with a good one-finger head, good lacing.

Smell is all hops, very pungent and piney. Clean.

Taste is full, this beer is heavy on both malts and hops in the extreme. Malts are quality, chocolaty with a butter aftertaste, hops tangy all the way through with piney bitterness and finishes both crisp and sweet.

Personally, quality beer, too heavy on malts and, frankly and simply, too much sheer flat flavor and, more pointedly, it's not an American IPA as I think of it because the pure strength of the malt simply suffocates the hops. This is a good brew, just too sweet for me but also lacks complexity and subtlety to be a great beer, which is what this is trying to be given its profile.

3.58/5  rDev -16.4%

Had this on 2010-06-11 in Lynchburg, VA

A - Hazy, dark gold with a light tan head

S - Hops, tangerine candy, mild grain

T - Toasted-sweet barley, oily, plenty of hop bitterness. Alcohol is well-integrated

M - Smooth with medium body and low carbonation

D - Not a thirst quencher but an enjoyable, single beer treat. A nice Imperial IPA although I prefer a deeper roasted malt flavor and less sweetness in my DIPAs.

3.82/5  rDev -10.7%

bottle poured into large wine glass.

A- orangey, copper colored brew, thin head with low retention. Not very bubbly. Thin lacing.

S- Both flowery and malty.

T- A bit disappointing, as I had high expectations for the uniqueness of this beer.
It tastes more like a barley wine than anything. It's not all that different from aged Big Foot. Get some Big Foot with about 6 months on it ( basically the stuff on the shelves now) and find out for yourself. Or maybe some Moylan's or Lagunitas barley wine?
It has a strong malty backbone like Big Foot, but it is more floral and less bitter than new Big Foot. The malty-ness is a bit sweet actually, like some belgians. It's an interesting balance. It's both malty sweet and hoppy. Def. not as hoppy as I expected from reading about this beer, but that's OK.

F- Much fuller bodied than other IIPA I've had ( which admittedly are few). Almost thick. I finished the glass and the left-over beer even looks a bit viscous as it slides down the glass. That's actually another reason why I think this beer is more like a barley wine than any kind of IPA. It's a somewhat heavy beer. It's not very similar to PtE, which is what I think when it comes to IIPAs. It's also on the flat side unfortunately.

D-I could drink a couple of these ( if I don't have to drive). The alcohol is a bit warming, so maybe not the best BBQ beer ( though I think it would match quite well with BBQ ribs). I know this may sound weird, but I would consider this beer a mellower American barley wine, and not an IIPA.

3.23/5  rDev -24.5%

pours very cloudy and orange, a fairly nice head.

I get a lot of malt in the smell with some herbal hops in the background.

the taste is very sweet, this really is a malt bomb and almost seems fruity, though i wouldn't call it citrus. the hops are on the back burner in this one and really only attempt to counteract the sweetness afforded by the malts.

medium-full bodied, somewhat syrupy. coats the mouth.

I wouldn't want to drink more than one of these at a time due to how heavy it is.

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA bills itself as "perhaps the best beer in America." OK, with a motto like that, I had to give it a try when I saw it available in a bottle. I poured it into a standard pint glass.

Appearance is very good, gold and clear, with a nice creamy head.

Smell is decidedly hoppy with slightly malty overtones

Taste is surprisingly sweet for an IPA. Tastes almost like a Bavarian Doppelbock with a kick of hops. A slightly cloying maple-syrupy aftertaste

Mouthfeel is a bit syrupy and sticky

Drinkability is OK, but it's so sweet, you really want to reach for a glass of water after a few sips

In summary, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA is certainly a good beer, but I wouldn't rate it "the best."

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

This brewing company was recommended to me by a friend. The 90 minute was the only available type so I gave it a try. I am not sure on the difference's between the various brands they have, but this one was fruity. I am usually not a fruity type of beer drinker, but it wasn't overpowering like a lot of them are. It actually blended well. I was suprised by the taste and did enjoy it. It did get me hoping to discover more types, since the quality from the brewer was there.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Very nice beer. I love the mouthfeel and the way the alcohol and hops are balanced. One of a kind. Smells like a typical IPA, but knew that i would enjoy it from the first wiff. I have proceeded with caution from Dogfish because of their pricing in WA state but I see that their alcohol is much greater than many beers so I am comfortable with the 90 min IPA purchase.
S- Wonderful hoppy aroma expected of an IPA, not overpowering like those of the Pacific Northwest. Much milder than I expected.
T- Delicious. I could have one or two of these a day and be happy as hell. IPAs being my favorite, this is one of the top ten for sure.
M- I love the mouthfeel of this beer. this is one of the best ones in this category. extremely smoothe, delicious. feels like drinking buttermilk but sweet and hoppy. wonderful presentation
D- extremely drinkable. Problem is the pricing which is tough to deal with in a "college town" I think DogfishHead would greatly improve their marks in the Greater Northwest if their pricing was better. just tough to fork out that much green to taste an American Beer. But if you do, you will be happy with the purchase

4.02/5  rDev -6.1%

90 Minute is glassy tangerine-bronze in color with a good head of foam for a 9% beer. Plentiful lacing appears as the fluid level falls. An awesome hop blast hits my nose along with alcohol and sweet-ish malt. The combination of hops is such that I can't pick out a single strain easily.

The flavor is surprisingly different. A very forward malt presence makes for an interestingly-balanced double IPA. American hops of all flavors yield an amalgam of flavors including resiny pine, spicy herbs, and an earth/woody character. This brew is "off-centered" from most of the extreme citrus bombs that are double IPAs. There is an underlying sweetness from the hefty malt frame that holds everything in place well. My only real complaint is that the alcohol seems a bit hot for 9%.

The body is moderate initially, but the oily hop resins seem to lend some thickness as they taper the long finish in a pleasant way. 90 Minute is absolutely one of Sam's best beers. It is well-crafted and original in every way. The only thing that would keep me from drinking a 4-pack in one sitting is the noticeable alcohol bite.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a bottle into a DFH snifter.

Aroma- sweet, citrus aroma, as well as hops.
Appearance-amber in color, with a fair amount of head on the pour. Lots of lacing left behind.

Taste- The alcohol is evident in this one, but it is not overpowering. I bought a case of this a few months ago, and the hoppiness has started to deteriorate. Now, it's sweeter, maltier, but still delicious. The mouth feel is smooth.

Overall- I love this beer, so I'm prejudiced in its favor, but I find that it has aged well. Despite the fact that I love hops, I don't mind the taste as the beer ages. It's bitter, but not so bitter to deter non-traditional IPA drinkers from giving it a try. It's definitely not a beer I can have more than 2 or so of at a setting, due both to its ABV and the fact that it's only sold by the 4-pack or case.

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

A: a copper pour with a simple white head. The head dissipates quickly in the center. The head sticks to the side of the glass as it is consumed.

S: a distinct malty smell. A woodsy, piny smell with a bit of lemon from the hops.

T: very malty with piny hops on the back of the palate.

M: a face full of hops and malts, coating the inside of the mouth.

D: very drinkable, high ABV gives the body a good feel post consumption.

Review from notes on 5/30/10

A: Golden amber. Thin white head. Good retention. Decent amount of lacing.

S: Hops, sweet malt, unfermented sugar. A touch of maple syrup. Surprisingly the hop aromas aren't that strong. The barley overpowers the hops.

T: Nice hop flavor, its not citrus or pine, just clean, fresh hops. TONS of sweet barley to provide an awesome balance. Its unbelievably smooth! Nice mellow hop finish. Ever so slight detection of booziness to let you know its 9% abv, other than that its hidden nicely. Haven't had a IIPA like this before, excellent!

M/D: Medium to fuller body. Lower carbonation. Feels pretty smooth and thicker then it really is. Great drinkability for a DIPA, especially since its 9%. First Dogfish Head I've had, wish I could get this on a regular basis. Bottled 4/22/10.

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

Show me, show me, show me how you do that trick
The one that makes me scream...90 minute on cask at ashley's in ann arbor. My mouth is still watering thinking of that glorious day I had this. 90 minute is one of the most drinkable and delicious widely distributed beers in the country and having it on cask is just a heavenly experience.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

The color is a clear rusty orange. That had an ivory colored head with a long retention.

The lacing is evident after the head subsides and it gently falls back into the glass followed by oily remnants that also fall even slower almost like a wine.

The alcohol is hidden and this is an incredibly smooth double ipa that is very dangerous cause at 9% alcohol you could easily find yourself 3 or 4 glasses in.

The smell is slightly citrus but is overwhelmed by the stronger scents of honey, toffee, chocolate/coffee and a touch of molasses. The smell is very rich,and almost savory.

Mouthfeel is heavy, smooth, and not dry at all in fact you could almost detect a slight oiliness after drinking. This beer also has a medium level of carbonation.

The taste is complex. When it is cold the 90 Minute is much more crisp but still has a whole heck of malt to go with that. After the beer warms the crispness sneaks away and you are treated to sweet toffee honey slight chocolate/coffee and molasses flavors. The finish seems to change with each sip. Sometimes you get a slightly floral/citrus finish and other times you get a burnt tobacco/espresso finish both of which I enjoyed.

This is a great beer that a wide range of beer and even wine lovers could enjoy. Despite its 9% abv its incredibly drinkable and definitely has characteristics of other styles of beer. This is by no means a west coast style DIPA. I am very glad to have this offering from DFH.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Had this one on tap at the Flying Saucer in Addison.

The beer pours a cloudy orange color with a white head. The aroma is orange with a nice malt backbone. The flavor is caramel malt with citrus hops. The beer has some nice sweetness from the malt but it is balanced nicely with the bitterness from the hops. A very balanced Double IPA. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours relatively clear for such a well hopped bear. I prefer the haziness of other IIPAs. Noise is nice but maybe my bottle isn't the freshest. Hops hit you first and then there's just a ton of malt sweetness that washes it away. Love the malt backbone this beer has. Very drinkable at 9% ABV - they hide the alcohol exceptionally well.

3.03/5  rDev -29.2%

A - Pours a clear pale honey with a nice 2 inch white head that fades to an oily cap. There are a few sticky rings of lacing.

S - Smells of pine hops, hints of coffee/espresso, and an alcohol sharpness.

T - Pine hops are dominant at the beginning with a toasty coffee essence that comes next. There is a sweet aftertaste on the finish.

S - This one was somewhat flat. Beer was creamy but I think this was more due to the flatness.

D - This beer is OK but I was expecting more from it. I might have gotten a bad bottle (I purchased a single). I don't think that I would try this one again.

3.98/5  rDev -7%

Poured into a standard glass. Looks very good for the style. Didn't expect it, but it's very clear, obviously filtered. Has a nice dark amber color to it. Not quite what I expected for a Double/Imperial IPA, but still pretty good for a beer in general. Most Double IPA's I've had are generally unfiltered. This beer has some better than average lacing to it. The smell is pretty good, not as hoppy as I expected, but the maltiness is kicked up a notch. Pretty good, but I'd expect a little more from a DIPA. I find many DIPA's to be very strong, but this one seems to be struggling to find it's identity in the smell department. The smell pretty sweet, almost a light toffee and some pine hops follow. The taste is a step up. Again it's pretty heavy on the malts, caramelized malts a d some citrus/pine hops to follow it up. It almost has a bit of a buttery taste to it as well. The mouthfeel is the best part in my opinion. It touches on all the major points that beer drinkers like. It's well balanced, more full bodied. Has a smooth texture (mentioned the buttery taste ealier), and not too much or too little carbonated, yet it finishes clean and a little bitter. It's a good drinkable beer as well. I found it difficult to review this beer a little based on the style. It really tasted more like a regular IPA than a Double IPA. I've had more IPA's with more DIPA characteristics than this. Still a reliable beer, but I guess I just expected more. Worth the try.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Tired of the poor beer quality available in my neighborhood, I took a trip to Park Slope to visit Bierkraft, a beer specialty shop, and purchased a four pack. I am always on the lookout for a good IPA, and this was the last four pack available of this particular brand.

From a 12 oz. bottle poured into my Le Merle goblet:

It has a rather pleasant coppery/amber hue, with a small head which laces nicely. Very easy on the eye, it looks like a quality brew.

The smell bring forth a mix of sensations. The first thing I noticed was the clean hops, followed by a slight sweetness. There is a fruity undertone which is difficult to define, but is rather nice. It is one of very few beers to make me elicit a slight "wow" while examining its aroma. I immediately liked it.

Taste: This one is good folks - enough to cause me to write my first review after being on the site for five years. It has a clear hoppy flavor with a very mild sweetness. The fiinish is nicely dry, with an aftertaste that balances bitter and sweet. It is just plain nice - and just what I look for in a brew.

Mouthfeel is not something I usually judge or look for in a beer, but this rates well - it has a solid body with no watery thinness. At the same time, it will not overwhelm you with unnecessary distractions.

The drinkability is held back by the 9% ABV. Otherwise, this would be a 4 or 4.5. For all it's strength, it is very easy to drink. The alcohol does not reveal itself in the flavor, so be careful to note the potency.

I am going back for a second bottle, and could not be more pleased. This is an excellent representative of the IPA style, and am very pleased with having discovered it.

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

A: Slightly hazy dark honey color with golden edges, solid white head. Decent retention.

S: Woodsy, pine smell. A little bit of lemon peel and very small hint of ash.

T: Unique flavor - has a caramel, almost syrup-like sweetness up front, with some bready notes. Hops don't really cut through as expected with an imperial IPA, but it is balanced. Hops sit at the back of the throat - very wood/piney hops.

M: Hop oil, slightly sticky mouthfeel. Mouthfeel throws me off a little since it has that sticky/syrupy essence to it.

D: Dogfish makes great beers, so it's definitely drinkable. I like the hop flavors/aromas even though they are not too bittering. For the price and taste however, I prefer the 60 minute.

3.4/5  rDev -20.6%

A - Clear amber with a very thin head. It doesn't last either. I've seen higher ABV beers with much better head.

S - Yeah, I smell the hops. And the booze. But i almost feel like the malt is taking center stage here. Very roasty and some caramel. As for the "centerpiece" hops, some American variety aroma. It has that earthy, oniony smell that is ok in some beers, like Ruination, but it seems to clash with the roastiness.

T - I'm grading this as compared to other DIPAs. Don't get me wrong, it's a tasty brew, and one of the redeeming qualities of DFH is their propensity to experiment. Maybe overly chocolaty for an IPA, too much onion hop flavor. Pretty boozy. Not bad, but not great.

M - Very smooth and easy on the tongue. Perfect carbonation, almost alcohol warmth is there, not too bad thugh. Not very dry. You can tell, at least that this is expertly crafted.

D - I'm only gonna have one of the fourpack tonight. Not that it's ard to drink really, but I find DFH beers, with very few exceptions, are overly sweet. This one doesn't doesn't finish as dry as you'd expect an IPA to. I really wish they'd cut down on the sweetness in most of their beers. I'd enjoy them much more.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a beautiful, rich and dense copper, dark apricot colour on a Snifter Glass. Extremely inviting! 1 inch head dissipates to a nice 1/2 inch lacing that lingers.
Delicious, sweet caramel scent, citrus hops.
Sweet on the tongue, rich and chewy. Did I mention sweet? Alcohol and Hops are present but not overwhelming.
Extremely drinkable, even with the 9% ABV.
WOW ! What an AMAZING beer, extremely rich and delicious. Must have more!
Highly recommended!

2.68/5  rDev -37.4%

I decided to revisit this one after I was sure that I had a bad bottle the first time. This review was from a bottle drank within 40 days of its marked bottling date.

A - Poured a crystal clear deep amber, thin white head with little retention clinging to the edge of the glass and minimal lacing.

S - First whiffs are very good with pine notes, some citrus zest with a deep underlying caramel malt backbone. However, after a couple sips, the hops seem to disappear and the malt flavoring turns into more raisin, prune tasting, with alcohol becoming much more prevalent.

T - Follows the nose with similar effects as it warms. Pine and citric hop profile from front to back with caramel malts in the background in the beginning, but as it warms, pruney malts and alcohol overtake any other complexity that may be in the beer.

M - A nearly full body with ample carbonation, smooth across the palate, dry astringent finish.

D - I could drink this again as a nightcap, but I will certainly not buy this again when I'm in the mood for a DIPA.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery