90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

My first beer review and my first DFH beer, thanks sencereNC!

A - A nice copper tone with a small amount of head. Fairly clear with some carbonation bubbling to the top.

S - You can really make out both the citrus of the hops and the roasted hop smell. A very mellow yet soothing smell.

T - I am a huge IPA fan and this one is defiantly no slouch. A wonderful balance of malt and hops, follow by a pleasant aftertaste.

Overall a great IPA that i could see my drinking often, only if i could get it here.

Bobbydigi, Feb 24, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance- Moderate carbonation, amber/golden yellow, moderate white head nice small to large bubbles travel up the glass 4.0

Smell- Plenty of yeast and hops, strong almost sour grapefruit could be picked up on the nose 3.5

Taste- Very bitter hoppy citrus notes up front on this brew, more grapefruit on the first taste, with the finish this beer becomes sweeter and sweeter, slight malts and caramel picked up late which helped to really round out the up front bitterness, a well rounded mix in the beer of sweet and bitter,4.5

Mouthfeel- heavy and best described as a very full bodied beer 4.0

Drinkability- A pretty easy to drink well balanced mix between sweet malts and bitter hops, well hidden alcohol level, a very flavorful beer, its good for sure probably a tad sweet though by the end of the beer at least for what i would look for in an ipa, that being said this is good beer worthy of alot of its praise 3.5 Overall 4.05

Retried again on 10/11/10---

I have had this beer several times in the almost 1 1/2 years since i have first tried this beer and man i really had this beer rated to low the first time i tried it. I really like this beer alot. Its delicously balanced and super easy enjoyable drinkability, here are my adjusted ratings

appearance- 4.0

Smell- 4.0

Taste 4.5

mouthfeel- 4.0

drinkablity 4.5

Stunner97, Feb 24, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

Nice looking dark peach color with a fluffy white head which stays for a while and leaves good lacing.

Citrus aroma but also had some malt sweetness to temper the hops.

Taste wasn't nearly as hoppy as I was expecting. In fact if memory serves I recall the 60 Minute tasting hoppier than this. The malt seems to balance things out well. However, there was an almost medicinal quality to it too, along with what I can only describe as shampoo. Not the best tasting IPA I've ever had.

Mouthfeel however, was excellent. Thick, creamy and very smooth. I'd only wish for perhaps a hint more carbonation.

This one should please most IPA fans. Someday I'd like to try this on tap, or maybe another bottle just to compare with the one I had. I'm not sure how long it may have been on the shelves and I know IPAs are best consumed as fresh as possible.

JBogan, Feb 23, 2009

pours a hazy light orange color with 1/2 " head and decent lacing thru-out... smell is hoppy first then grapefruit and malt thereafter its smells very good,..not great... The taste is the same it is hops first then the citrus and pines and malt i do detect more alcohol taste in this DIPA.. mouthfeel is pretty smooth and very drinkable it is another great DIPA..not my favorite but still very good and will buy again. this DIPA is a very strong oily hop flavor brew primary ....secondary is citrus and malt sweetness.. its a b plus for sure.. another good DFH offering.. try it

gatornation, Feb 22, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

A- Pours a clear deep copper color with a solid foamy head.

S- A very citrusy and floral hoppiness. Very pungent.

T- Sweet and citrusy hoppiness balanced with a thick syrupy sweet malt backbone.

M- Full bodied, smooth, carbonation is perfect.

D- This is a very heavy brew. A well balanced meal in a glass.

JayNH, Feb 22, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Crystal clear light copper body with a medium-sized creamy orange-white head.
S: Right after opening got a whiff of doughy malts, but mixed with a good dose of citrus hops. Combines really well. After pouring, these are a bit more subdued. Has more odors of pine and sometimes cannabis. Something sweet too.
T: Whatever the sweet smell is comes through a lot more in the flavor. Not entirely sure what it is. Sort of the somewhat cloying sweetness that a lot of imperials have. After I drink the beer for awhile, grapefruit with sugar starts to come out more.
M: Excellent. Perfect balance of carbonation and of body weight. Really creamy head that stays around for awhile, in the glass and taste.
D: A great beer overall. My first from Dogfish Head, which I've heard a lot about. I'm not sure how to rate it relatively qua an imperial IPA. I usually expect them to be bitter, a la RR's Pliny the Elder and Younger. This one, though, is predominated by a slightly cloying sweetness. Probably would want only one in a sitting, but I will definitely enjoy the other three of these I have.

lhaqq, Feb 21, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

12 oz bottle poured into an Sam Adams Sensory Glass. Bottle on date of 10-02-08.

A - copper with a 0.5cm white head. there must have been a nucleation point in the SA glass because aqueous carbon dioxide seemed to be constantly escaping solution.

S - hops: grapefruit with some pine (now that I know what pine smells like, it's a lot easier to find) and...what's this? malt? a malt aroma in an IIPA. that has never happened before!

T - sweet, like honey and then the hops come in. grapefruit and pine with a slight bitterness and a hint of alcohol. the taste seems like a slightly barleywine with less malt, but that's why i actually enjoyed this beer. it was hop juice with malt added for color like every other IIPA I have had.

M - good. i never know what to say here.

D - I would definitely drink this again. It is hands down, the best IIPA I have ever had....and yes, I've had Hopslam.

bowersdm, Feb 20, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Clear amber body with bright white head. I didn't get much lace on the glass, and the carbonation seemed a little low. But the overall flavor was strong with lots of hops in the nose and a full citrus/piney flavor that I enjoyed. The mouthfeel was just about average but the rest of the beer stood up nicely. Malts seemed to take a back seat to the hops.

IceEyes, Feb 20, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

11/16/08, DFH 90 min IPA, 9.0 ABV, 296 cals p12os
draft in a pint glass @ Mellow Mushroom Pizza in Jacksonville, FL
A - 4.0 - Amber copper color, smaller head than when at home (maybe the glass?), excellent lacing though
S - 4.5 - A big hop aroma, followed by solid malt backbone to back up the intense hop presence
T - 5.0 - toasty sweet caramel malt with a bold equally balanced hop profile, hop spice on finish
MF -5.0 - medium on carbonation, med+ on body, semi slick mouthfeel
D - 4.5 - This is an excellent Imperial IPA! Very drinkable, tops on my list if I am craving this style, a very sessionable Imperial IPA, but you have to look out for the 9.0% ABV! I marked this down a half of point in "drinkability" considering the price is steep at $7 for a pint!

unclejimbay, Feb 19, 2009
4.28/5  rDev 0%

I finally had to try this hyped up beer.

12oz bottle to tulip
A: One finger solid white head doesn't want to go anywhere; it retains as neat webs on the glass. Rich copper and amber colors darkened with a slight haze.
S: Hops, fruity esters and a hint of alcohol that hides well.
T: HOP! Craves attention. Slightly toasted. Bitters coming out near the end but not nearly as much as I expected considering the 90 on the IBU scale. Hints of grapes. Intense florals. The alcohol goes totally unnoticed on my palate.
M: Medium body, though closer to "light" without being thin. Balanced carbonation. Tons of residue on my tongue.
D: I'm pretty tired after drinking this beer. I don't know if it was the ABV and lack of a healthy food intake today, or if I'm just plain old tired after a long day! Either way, this is a great beer. More complex than I could even begin to discuss. I hope to continue opening up my palate to IPAs!

washburnkid, Feb 18, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Somewhat light head, doesn't quite get past one finger but holds on credibly and surrounded by attractive lacing. Vividly dark orange color with a soft brown tinge, pumpkin-like in an autumnal way, very good clarity. Hits you with a double-barrel blast of sweet pink grapefruit in the nose, followed by honey dappled scone, white pepper, granola, green tea notes, the florality a bit overmatched here, excellent staying power, amplified as it warms some. Full-bodied without getting fat or overly dense, pushes the palate to find the sweet spot where it can impress and still flow forward. There's a certain fluffiness to the carbonation, not crisp nor foamy. Sweet and juicy pink grapefruit, tangelo citrus dominates here too, the malts polish the palate while adding some cocoa powder and carob flavors. Pine resin, honey and near barley accents come next. The hops beyond the citrus not adding much flavor, just a textural drying effect through and past the mid-palate. Still, more floral here, particularly as residue. Seems relentless in its desire to please.

farrago, Feb 18, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

The beer fills my tulip with bright amber tones. There is a large two-finger head that forms but disappears quickly and leaves a nice ring on the top. There is a ton of thick, sticky lacing on the side of the glass. Carbonation is present, but a little less than I expected.

The hops are the main item I pick up. The citrus notes are very evident and grapefruit is what comes through the most. There is also a hint of pine and some earthy tones. The malt appears to be somewhat subdued by it is still present in the nose. I can pick up some alcohol in the nose, but it is not overpowering.

The first thing I pick up is the bread-like malt, but this quickly gives way to a rush of hops. The hops definitely pack both a citrus and piney flavor and balances well together. There are also some nice spices and a touch of warming alcohol. The finish is dry and slightly bitter but much more restrained than west coast hop bombs.

CMW, Feb 17, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

This was one of the first DIPAs that I ever consumed.

Appearance - Poured a wonderful copper color. Left nice lacing around my pint glass.

Smell - Aroma of pine, some floral notes, as well. I am also picking up more of the sweet malt scent this time.

Taste - This was definately a lot sweeter than I remember it being...which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I can really taste the carmel pushing through. The bitterness is there but not in an overpowering sense. Overall a good balance of flavors

Mouthful - This is a very good bodied beer

Drinkability - This goes down way to easy for having an ABV of 9%...which would explain how a 4 pack can disappear in one sitting.

schackj, Feb 17, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a clear copper orange, with a moderate head that sticks around the entire glass and never stops with the lacing.

Aroma is prominent, big time piney hops with a citrus crispness and caramel sweetness.

Quite smooth for an IIPA, taste is balanced, sweet maltiness smoothly transitioning into a big piney hop body. Finishes with crisp citrus and resiny pine hops, but never fully loses the caramel sweetness. Moderately long bitter finish.

Full bodied beer, syrupy, chewy, crisp carbonation.

Excellent IIPA, superbly balanced.

JohnQVegas, Feb 17, 2009
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Performed a DIPA taste testing tonight: Double Simcoe, 90 Minute IPA, and Founders Double Trouble. All were great but the final standings were: 1. D-Simcoe, 2. D-Trouble, 3. 90 Minute.

Appearance: Clear amber with little head. No retention and little lace.

Smell: A bit winy, but the floral hops are there. Has me wishing there were a bit more.

Taste: Wonderful, those hops came through very nicely and I absolutely loved the finish.

Mouthfeel: A bit too heavy for a DIPA, but not by much.

Drinkability: Although good, I would chose the others before this one.

Notes: While it came in last place it was still a fantastic beer, seems to me though it would go better as an everyday DIPA, if there could be one.

BigIrishman, Feb 17, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

A- Pours a nice amber color like most IPA's with a small white head that will dissipate and leave lacing down the glass.

S- This is definitely one of the better smelling IPA's. It's up front with hops and that earthy marijuan like smell but you will also get a piney citrus in there too.

T- Like any IPA you can taste the hops and citrus first, but there is almost a nice malty flavor in there as well. All of these flavors complement eachother excellently.

M- mid bodied

D- An excellent IPA, but I still prefer Stone's IPA over any especially because a 6-pack of Stone IPA is $10.99 where as you only get a 4-pack of 90 minute for $9.99.

KBoudreau66, Feb 13, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

This is by far one of the best beers I have ever had. It definitely goes on my list of "If I could only have one beer for the rest of my life." The smell is amazing and you can really pick out some of the ingredients. The taste is even better than the smell. It is definitely a hoppy beer and it is awesome. I thought the 60 minute was good, but this is way better. I "import" this beer from out of state by the case, if that tells you anything.

s005jjf, Feb 12, 2009

Poured into a pint glass and left the yeast in the bottle.

Appearance is an orange-ish amber clolor and clear. Not much of a head at all. It dissapated very fast. A little lacing.

Smellis almost of Belgian yeast and like a tripple to me. Pretty malty on the smell with some hop notes.

Taste is almost the same as the smell. A little hoppier than the smell would suggest but the malts are good tasting. A very good beer but I don't know if it tastes much like an IPA to me. Maybe because of the massive hoppy beers that I get here in CA.

Mouthfeel is good. Like the carbontation malt balance.

Drinkability is high because it it a pretty good beer and it won't destroy your senses.

PeprSprYoFace, Feb 11, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured a rich orange/amber color. Very beautiful looking beer in my opinion. left a nice amount of lacing on my snifter glass. very inviting.

The smell has to be the best smelling beer so far for me. At first I got this wonderful sweet smell that was followed by a pine smell. sweetness from the malt, caramel, tropical fruits, citrus fruits also stand out. very nice.. then the pine smells lets u know its gonna be hoppy.. finishes with a sharp and quick booze smell..

I was expecting more of a punch on the hop's bitterness, but all in all the taste was GREAT. I got a caramel malt taste for the base followed by a slight alcohol taste but the bitterness(which i love) overpowered it. you cant forget the fruits sweetness also. The mouth feel is very smooth. A wonderful tasting DIPA. The balance is very very good on this brew

Definitely an easy brew to sip on.. Just be sure not to take it overboard.. A favorite in my book..

Cheers!!

aval89, Feb 11, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -19.4%

I feel like I should've poured this into a snifter, but I just grabbed a regular pint glass. It is what it is.
I thought the look and smell of this beer were its strong suits. Beautiful combination of gold and amber with an off-white head that was big and bubbly and hung around for a while and ended up leaving nice lacing.
The smell was magnificent, and like I said I wish it had been in a snifter to catch more of these floral and citrusy aromas. Outstanding.
The taste and mouthfeel fell off a little bit. The citrus hoppy flavors did not come through in the big way that I thought they would. The beer seemed too flat and too slick in the mouth as well. Not too enjoyable.
I think it would be moderately drinkable because its nothing that you couldn't handle a few of. Nothing shocking or too offensive.
Overall, a decent IPA, but didn't pack the punch I was looking forward to. I am a big fan of the 60 minute, and despite the reviews on this site, I don't think the 90 minute measured up.
I'll drink the rest of the four pack, but I reckon from this point on, I'll just stick with the 60 minute.

joshuadlight, Feb 11, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -3%

Pours into my Culton pint glass nicely. Small head that eventually recedes to a thin layer. Nice, copper-orange colour. Notice how I've decided to spell "color" in the european fashion. I also spell "gray""grey", because its prettier.
Smell is nice- a little biscuity. But I've got my slob of a neighbor above me walking around like the yeti that she is, and as a result I'm experiencing a bit of synesthesia which I believe may be inhibiting a truly precise olfactory assessment of the beer.
Mouthfeel is fine. I can't yet wrap my brain around this one. Quite frankly, I just think that my tongue and inner cheeks are several unsophisticated SOBs. I burn them with cigarettes regularly, but a pig is a pig.
The tastes is great, but not excellent. I had this IPA about a year ago in Texas, and thought the world of it. After having a small sampling of truly exceptional IPAs and re-sampling this one, I have re-assessed my opinion of this beer. There is a certain sweetness to this beer which I find unappealing. I also lacks the proper bitterness that makes for a wonderful IPA. Still darn good though.

WilliamD, Feb 11, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

A - Poured a dark amber color that produced a white head that didn't last but left a good lace around the glass

S - Great malty and hops nose, with pine, grapefruit and flowers

T - The taste of this IPA is great, nice malty and hops mixture that is perfectly balanced. The pine nuts and grapefruit hints along with the floral notes hit the bitterness well

M - Medium bodied, moderate carbonation

D - A great IPA, not a hop bomb, but something that I would rotate into my selection, if DFH was distributed down here

cvfish, Feb 10, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -23.4%

12 Oz bottle poured into Pilsner glass

A: Golden color with a two finger head. Lots of lacing that sticks around.

S: Wow.... Fruits (citrus & apples), Flower (rose like aromas)... maybe a little grass, hops, barley and malt. Different from any other beer I've smelled. Very strong and robust

T: There is a lot going on here.... First taste was hard and quick shot of hops, followed quickly by malt and barley... very strong bitterness follows that.... you catch the alcohol at the end. Wow a lot of stuff and it comes at you quickly.... as it warms things balance out.... The hops calm down and the bitterness mellows... More flavors are coming.... a little caramel apple and loads of malt, the malts actually seem to become more of a factor as the beer gets warmer. a

M: Full-bodied !!, the mouthfeel is smooth. Carbonation is a mild to high. I'm tasting all the 9% ABV. The end is bitter but very clean.

D: Now I'm not really a IPA guy, and this is my first Imperial IPA... Boy this will not your socks off.... If you like your hops hoppy and complex this is great. Personally, It's not my cup of tea.... I'm hoping I'll grow into the IPA..

mralphabet, Feb 09, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

From a case bottled 15 Jul 08, purchased within 5 days after bottling, and deliberately allowed to age in the bottle until 7 Feb 09 as part of learning what happens to this beer over time. Poured into a Duvel glass and allowed to warm over the course of the tasting. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: Transparent dark amber, almost the color of an old copper penny. Thin white head quickly disappears leaving behind ring of foam around the glass with a thin layer of bubbles on most of the surface.

Smell: Dominated by a strong malt presence, caramel, with a nice trace of hops in the aroma. That trace of hops is floral, citrus, and has a hint of pine.

Taste: Rich, sweet, sherry-like flavor with a medium finish and barely a hint of bitterness. But the hop flavors replicate the nose and still play in the background. Not even a hint of the 9% alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with faint carbonation.

Drinkability: I could drink more than one of these even though it no longer has that hoppy DIPA bitterness that was there when was freshly bottled. The changes over time have created a different beer that I like about as much in its own way as I like it fresh. In some ways it is now a bit more like a Barleywine but clearly different from that style. One of the strengths of this beer is that after the bitterness of the hops has faded with age it is still a wonderful beer. If you like sweet Sherry or English style Barleywines you might consider aging some of this for 6-9 mos. before drinking. While its not exactly like either, it bears some resemblances to both.

drtth, Feb 09, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

A nice frothy head on this IPA. Comes into a very clear copper body. The head hangs through till the end.

The citrus hops hit the nose right away very pungent and mouthwatering.

Taste... yeah.. gonna take another taste... oh yeah.. orange than lemon hops wow.. wow.. I like. The bitterness is perfectly balanced with these flavors. This beer is a def must for an IPA fan. Juicy is a great descriptor

This probably has the best of any mouthfeel I know of for an IPA just great.

bfields4, Feb 08, 2009