90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 13,975 | Reviews: 3,761
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

A- Pours a hazy copper with a one and a half finger head and massive webs of lacing.
S- Citrusy hops, with a bit of evergreen hops in there as well, with a sweet malt backbone.
T- Opens with a zippy citrus hop. Sweet caramelly and butterscotch malt fills in. finishes with a bit of hop zip, fruity flavor, and alcohol.
M- Medium, not quite sticky, body. Smooth, almost creamy carb.
D- A good tasting beer. This is one I defenitely could enjoy more frequently than I do. Sweeter than the 60 but still has all the hop zing. Very tasty.

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a DFH snifter

A: Poured a hazy amber color with a 2 finger head that slowly dissipated to a 1/2 finger layer of bubbles. Chunky lacing down the side of the glass.

S: A lot of hops and citrus on the nose, some grapefruit. You also get hit with a strong malt component as well.

T: Like the nose you get a a nice hop flavor as well as the grapefruit. This gives way to a great caramel taste from the malts and finishes sweet.

M/D: Medium bodied with nice carbonation. It is sweeter than its 60 minute counterpart, but I really enjoy the 90. Have had it from bottle, tap, and through Randall the Enamal Animal which I suggest to do if you like this beer.

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Pilsner glass

A: Light copper/bronze with thick white head. Lots of bubbles. Beautiful lacing

S: Lots of hops followed by malt, pine, fruits

T: Hops and malts blend together with fruits and sweetness that briefly made me think of honey? Alcohol is present. Yeasty finish. Absolutely delicious and so complicated.

M: Light carbonation. Sweet. Nice.

D: I'd say very. Alcohol is noticeable, but not overpowering.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle dated 6/17/10 into a pint glass.

A: A beautiful coppery amber color with a nice white head.

S: Bitter hops and pine followed by a strong malty aroma, and I'd swear I can smell vanilla.

T: The very prominent malts hit the tongue first, with notes of vanilla and cinnamon, followed by chocolate malts. Bitter orange, pine, and hop finish, and an alcohol aftertaste toward the bottom of the glass.

M: Creamy and slightly chewy.

D: This brew definitely emphasizes the "imperial" in imperial IPA. I was expecting more bitterness from a beer touting its 90-minute hopping.

4.41/5  rDev +3%

A-beautifully clear amber with orange hues, thick white head with great retention, and even better lacing.

S-More pine oriented than citrusy hops, with very sweet malts. DFH signature yeast is also easily identifiable.

T-piney hops up front, a very sweet maltyness in the middle and a bitterness that can't quite overpower the sweetness on the backend. Big bold flavors, there's nothing subtle about 90 minute. You really get the heat of the higher ABV on the back end as well and it sticks with you between sips.

M-medium carbonation, slightly creamy.

D-a sipper for sure, I can't just down it one after another, but it definitely quenches a hops craving. I down right crave this at times, and it's easily in my top 5 DIPA's.

2/24/13- upped the taste category for my recent batch of this. I believe it's a fresher batch and the balance of the hops to the malt is quite spot on. Fantastic stuff.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Nice amber color with a slight haze and a good head with excellent lacing. This is probably about how beer looks in heaven.

Smell- More hops than MJ. The hops definitly come through on this one. I'm picking pine and flowers, although there is a pronounced malt presence, as well.

Taste- Big, heavy hitting hop flavors throughout, although they are balanced very nicely by the malt. Actually a decent amount of sweetness in this beer. There is just a flash of alcohol flavor mixed in there, which folds in nicely to the overall flavor profile.

Mouthfeel- A very smooth beer, full bodied but not quite as sticky as some.

Drinkability- About 98% of the general population would at the very least make a face after trying this beer, however there are those of us who cannot get enough of stuff like this. A bit pricy though. Cheers!

2.23/5  rDev -47.9%

This beer looks very impressive. Lovely rich golden colour, a heady hoppy nose, beaucoup de tiny beading and one of the thickest heads I have seen in a very long time. So obviously so well made.

You can feel the potency as you bring the beer to your lips. And then everything goes pearshaped. When the beer makes contact with your tongue you are hit with a sickly cloying sappy body which just smothers all of the beer's positive qualities. I am sure there are ale conners around the world wagging their fingers in indignation. This just so obviously lacks balance and is too much of an attention seeker for me. Give me their 60 minute any day. Far less than the sum of its parts. Carlsberg Special Brew anyone?

Will need to give this a few more tries.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was simply a phenomenal beer. Lacing was excellent through the session. The beauty in this beer is the balance. Incredible malt backbone to handle the high alcohol, which was perfectly balanced with hops. I this one of THE BEST IIPA/DIPAs in existence. Seek it out and enjoy it.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance is good a very clear nice amber color

Smell- oh the aroma of hops is just so wonderful

Taste- hops to start, hops to finish and it lingers great for a hop head like me

mouthfeel- Good. its really a drinkable beer but watch out it's 9% abv

Drinkability-see above

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

A-dark gold, thin white head

S-HOPS! A favorite thing for me to do every time I try a new IPA is to smell it, I almost can always predict how it will be by the smell, and the 90 minute is everything you'd want an IPA to smell like. besides hops, citrusy aromas are also present

T-pure hops, just perfect! not too much but just perfect, with a beautiful matching aftertaste

M-medium amount of carbonation...the perfect amount!

D-drinkable beyond imagine, the only session drinker i know of with such a high ABV, even after a few, the taste is constantly reminding you that you're drinking something beautiful.

2.69/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled 08/09/10

Light copper, sort of golden color. 1 finger of head

The strongest aroma I am getting is something like rubbing alcohol/nail polish remover. Maybe a slight bit of pine and maybe some floral hops but its not easy to pick them out. Not a great smell overall.

I initially taste sweetness from the malt- think mostly caramel/toffee. Then, very little pine, and maybe some sort of grassy/herbal phenol. Plenty of fusel alcohol as well. It's a little harsh and solvent like. I know this beer is 9% but, the alcohol doesn't seem very well integrated.

Medium carbonation, medium mouthfeel. Feels kind of sticky and syrupy.

I wanted this to be in the regular rotation for me but, I am not a big fan of this one. There is just not enough bitterness and way too much caramel for me. Also, the strongest taste in the flavor profile is harsh and solvent like alcohol. There was definitely not enough pine and basically no citrus. At $14 plus tax for a 4 pack, I would not buy this again.

Just had a great sampler of IPAs at a shore tavern. DFH 90 was among the four I sampled. Have to say, nice brew and quite drinkable for the 9% abv. Head was one finger and left some nice lacing down the glass. Color was typical of any other American IPA. Nose was nice, but not overpowering. Taste was similar to 60 Min, but a bit more of everything. For some reason, I find an earthiness to DFH IPAs--- this follows suit. Waitress gave me a second half-pint on the house, after the first four---probably didn't need it, but... ;)

3.12/5  rDev -27.1%

A: Light amber with white medium sized head.

S: Smells of pineapple, pine and grass, with something sweet malt. Not a powerful smell that drew me in. Average at best.

T: Just like the smell, with more of the pine and grass than the pineapple. There is a sweet malt backbone here that to me just didn't seem to go well.

M: Decent. What you would expect. Medium carbonation.

D: This one just didn't do it for me. For all the hype this beer gets I just didn't enjoy it.

For a different perception, my wife on the other hand really likes this beer. She says that she likes the balance of the malt backbone. I normally love a good balanced IIPA like Terrapin Rye squared, but for some reason this one just tastes...off... Perhaps it is the type of Hops/malts used?

2.77/5  rDev -35.3%

On the pour this looked like a great IPA--nice and coppery--promising strong malt presence with the hops to boot. Little head. Less carbonation.

But--as much praise as I've heard of this beer--I was skeptical at first sniff. There was almost nothing there! "Maybe all their hops are in the bittering and finishing phase," I thought. The smell was my first foreshadowing that I might be disappointed.

I regret to say it, but the taste was just bland. Let me be more specific...too balanced. For an IPA/Imperial I'm ready to have my socks knocked off. I'm ready for a Pliny, a Maharaja, or an Alpine Nelson...and I'm getting more of an Arrogant Bastard...and that's being generous. Granted at 9% the malt is big, but where are the hops???

Mouthfeel was fine...little carbonation. The other reviewers are right: syrupy.

Drinkability was this beer's highest praise as it doesn't drink like a 9% beer. Maybe that's it's best quality. You can drink this thinking you're drinking an amber ale--like maybe a Rogue American Amber--but when I'm gearing up for an Imperial IPA? Who cares that I'm drinking 9% that feels like 5%...I want to have a flavor profile that leaves me something to remember. Dogfish 90 minute left me with nothing but grave disappointment.

I swear all these positive reviewers are either:

a. Partial to the Dogfish head name, and therefore not objective and suspect.
b. Ten years behind the evolution of Imperial IPA's and have never had a Pliny the Elder.

This beer makes me want to never drink anything brewed east of the Mississippi. (And west of...let's say, Wales.)

Call it a Strong Ale, and I'll give it a B+.

4.15/5  rDev -3%

A big mahalo goes out to geryeb624 for sending this beer my way!!! Pours a crisp clean reddish/amber color with a nice size off white head and just the right amount of visible carbonation. Aromas of hops, grapefruit and pine. Flavor is of light citrus and hops with a slight undertone of alcohol. Very smooth and lightly sweet with a quick bitter finish. The aftertaste is long and wonderful. I could happily drink this all day, at least until I passed out:)

3.03/5  rDev -29.2%

Got this at Binny's Downtown in Chicago on our recent baseball trip.

From a bottle into a snifter

Note: Drank all three in order.

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, medium looking white head that crackles enough for me to notice. Decent retention on the head. Clear SAE amber orange in color with zero carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a thin wisp and a ring that remain until the end and leave a few dots of lace down the glass. Exactly the same as their 60min IPA.

SMELL: Pale malts, sweet pineapple and citrus notes, as well as some floral hop aromas. Medium strength and plenty inviting, though it's exactly the same as their 60min IPA, which is a little weak for a DIPA.

TASTE: Starts out the same as their 60min IPA, with pale malts, pineapple and notes of citrus in the beginning. Proceeds to some spiciness and boozy qualities in the middle, which are a little stronger and bolder than its little brother. A bold sweet melon and hop bitter aftertaste has lots of spicy vodka flavored booze in there. Simply a slightly stronger, and essentially boozier version of their 60min.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Lacks some needed creaminess, like its little brother, goes down smooth with a little burn after the swallow and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Decent.

OVERALL: This one is basically a boozier version of 60min, but the booze isn't accompanied by more malt or hop flavor. A little too boozy for the style in my book, but it is still tasty enough to bother finishing, even if it is a one and done. While I'd grab their 6% IPA again, there are better 9% DIPAs out there. Skip it.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

A: brown/amber color, not to much of a head at first, but the beer retains a little foamy skim on top. Excellent lacing.

S: Pine, fruit, spice, grass, floral and woody notes. The hops smell like Centennial to me... The woody notes pleasantly surprised me. The smell had something a little funky- not really like chemical- but more like syrup... probably because of the high ABV.

T: This is a yummy beer... I taste all of the things mentioned in the smell, with an addition of some big round caramel malts. The taste is not as bitter as expected. Beer kind of reminds me of a barleywine...

M: Thick and syrupy. Coats your entire mouth with its sweetness. The hops sit at the back of your throat.

D: I actually think this is more drinkable than the 60 Minute... very good for a DIPA :)

4.75/5  rDev +11%

Poured from the bottle into a dogfish head signature glass

Appearance - golden honey color. Produced one finger of rich and silky off white head which left big sticky clumps of lace. Very good looking.

Smell - Floral piny hops, toasted malt, yeast, some citrusy grapefruit.

Taste - The taste of the beer is massive. It begins with the hops which come in a bright punch but are immediately toned done by tons of unfermented sugars and sweet malt. Yeast has a small presence but one that is felt. Bitter hop finish and just a touch of alcohol rounds out the beer. I just love its complexity.

Mouthfeel - fantastically syrupy from the sugar and oily from the hops and the same time. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability - This is a beer that I come back to again and again. Truly a remarkable Double. For a brew with an ABV of 9% I could drink this all day. But that would probably be a mistake.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from my notes; served at the Great Lost Bear. The beer came to me in a tulip glass with almost no head, which seems odd to me. All that is present is a tan skim of foam, but that is all that there is room for--the liquid is filled right to the top of the glass. It is golden orange in color.

The beer has a good, crisp hop aroma. It is forest-like, with pine, damp moss and some bitter scents.

When I taste the beer, the hops kick in immediately. They are bitter, oily, crunchy hops. Graham cracker, maple and brown sugar make up the sweet malt tastes. The hops and sugar linger on for a long time...longer than I can wait to take another sip!

This is a full-bodied beer. It has some tickling carbonation. There is a slick oil coat that is a tad sticky. It coats everything: lips, teeth, tongue and roof. This mouthfeel does shy away from the 90 Minute's imperial status.

Sure this is a strong beer, but it is quite drinkable. I keep wanting another sip. This beer could be dangerous; I could easily drink a lot of it.

3.77/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Golden yellow with a thin, quickly dissipating white head

S - Mostly piney hops with a hint of malt

T - Strong hops, though not overwhelming. A strong, almost pure alcohol jump in the aftertaste.

M - Moderatly thick and syrupy, somewhat heavy

D - After hearing rave reviews from friends about this, I was excited to try it. It has been a couple months since I've had an imperial IPA, so I had to get used to the strength again. It's very drinkable, though the strong alcoholic aftertaste makes me want to try the 60 minute, in hopes of a smoother finish.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Do you remember the Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA? All that robust and citrus hop character and the immensely crisp and refreshing bite? Well, the 60 minute was actually not the first continually hopped IPA that Dogfish Head made - before the 60 came the 90 Minute IPA; an Imperial IPA which was first brewed at the Dogfish Head Brewpub, and is now the Best Selling Imperial IPA in North America, and potentially the world.

The 90 Minute IPA utilizes continual hopping during a ninety minute boil to create a pungent hop aroma and flavor, rather than an overbearing one. Beyond that it is also dry hopped during conditioning to increase its lively fresh hop character.

Just like the 60 Minute, the 90 is not for everyone. People who claim to not enjoy the bitter bite of hoppy beers would not be impressed by the 90, or the 60 for that matter. But if you are a hop-head, or can appreciate the savory bitter and fresh characteristics of rich hops than this Imperial India Pale Ale is a magnificent treat!

The 90 comes in 341ml bottles which you can often find in four packs all across the United States. They have not yet found their way into Canada unfortunately. It is 9.0%abv, and also is rated at 90 IBU (International Bitter Units). I am lucky enough to have a Dogfish Head Chalice, so I pulled the 90 out of the fridge to warm a touch, prepared the chalice, and also a nice comfortable spot on my couch to enjoy this in.

The 90 Minute IPA pours smoothly with a mild viscosity to it. It slowly builds in the bottom of the glass with little vigor, but soon as the bottle in half way through carbonation is now erupting from the bottom and a large and fluffy almost two inch head is developed brilliantly above the beer. The head is creamy white and filled with airy bubbles perfectly resting just below the edge of the glass.

The beer itself is transparent and rich - its glows a copper orange with a lot of red, mahogany and caramel. The contrast between the beer and its foam is magnicifent - it already shows body and rich soul. The nose is round and balanced with warm and rich pale malts, smooth hops bitterness, and light sweet caramel. The malt here is most prominent, which is surprising when you contemplate the 60 Minute IPA. Hops here just linger around showing a touch of citrus, pine and earth. It is also warmer in alcohol; the caramel from the malt brings with it a slight whiff of 9%.

Just as Sam Calagione (Dogfish Head founder) describes, the 90 minute continual hopping is used so to add hop flavor, not hop brutality. And here is shows its power in spades. Let the 90 pour over your palate, don't sip it right away, really get a nice mouthful. The sweetness from pale malts show themselves on your tongue, but then a smooth layer of hops show themselves in grapefruit, lemon peal, earthy pine, grass, spice and fresh herbs.

The balance is really impeccable; smooth and soft caramel flows across your cheeks and the roof of your mouth, all while a deep resin of hops float throughout your mouth. As the beer warms, more sweetness shows itself and the fresh bitter becomes more brash and citrus. It begins to touch raisins and fruitcake almost bringing more complexity to the picture. The finish is soft and full, with only slight quenching characteristics.

The beer is less carbonated, less aggressive, and less crisp than the 60 minute IPA. And many people do criticize it for that. However it is more balanced, and better constructed, with more depth of flavor and rounded sensations. Its an interesting wold this - most people who look for an Imperial IPA are hop heads and want to be crushed by the one sided insanity of a 60 Minute IPA, so the 90 is too balanced for them and not quite insane enough.

The 90 to me is a sublime IPA with amazing character and genuine flavors which compliment the brewers and their efforts. It has an elegant mouthfeel, perfectly smooth malt flavors with complex hops dancing with it. The 90 seems to be living in a more sivilized world than the 60 Minute IPA.

It will also age well over time with the added strength and sweetness, and pairs magnificently well with beef, potatoes, cheesy breads, olive oil based pastas, rich cheeses, and rich cheesecake.

3.86/5  rDev -9.8%

Served from 12oz bottle about 40+ degrees. Again another IPA, my fourth since joining our beer club. Starts off with strong smell of a "booze like" scent if you will but doesnt have the strong bite of a liquor. Very surprising and pleasant finish. Thin lacing and about a 1" head when poured into sampling glass. Again another IPA with a punched up ABV that is pleasant.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottled on date of 7/28/10 (less than one month old).

Appearance: Medium brown in color with a two finger beige head and some good retention. Nice amber highlights throughout.

Aroma: Pine and grapefruit notes from the hops with a really strong malt backbone of caramel. Very sweet hop aroma.

Taste: Some nice big hops upfront in pine and grapefruit notes. Some candied pineapple as well. The malt here is also very pronounced. Lots of caramel. Very sweet and good balance. The ABV is well hidden as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and crisp. Works nicely for a DIPA.

Drinkability: Well hidden ABV and a very balanced flavor make this really drinkable. I had two bottles on this occasion but definitely could have had more.

Overall, a really good example of an east coast imperial IPA. Really balanced and flavorful. Definitely something I pick up a four pack of all the time.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a glorious crystal clear light amber-orange with a white, sticky head that lasts to the bottom of the glass.

Smells like bready malts and simcoe hops, extremely inviting, with an almost fruity sweetness. Excellent balance of aromas.

Unlike numerous versions of DIPAs, the hops do not totally dominate the show. This is true to the East Coast style which I prefer. The hop flavor makes itself known and brings a slight bite to the brew, but the sweet, fruity flavors are equally if not more powerful. Even though this beer is 9% ABV, the alcohol isn't noticeable at all; dangerous because I could drink a 12 pack of this (well I could at least try til I pass out).

Minimal carbonation and an amazing consistency. The mouthfeel is the balanced and full; smooth, malty, hoppy, wowzers I'm in love.

For a beer of such strength and complexity, it's incredibly easy to drink. A big, bold Imperial IPA that's as drinkable as any beer on the planet. If you like great beer, get your hands on this often overlooked gem.

4.51/5  rDev +5.4%

As someone who does not see this beer very often, getting my hands on this beer made me more than excited.

The pour on this beer shows the gold bronze color to this beer. Crystal clear and beautiful, this beer is really a work of art to look at. I wish I could have this much more often. The head is similar to 60 min, in that it is not too thick, but lingers through out the entire session. Even after letting it sit out for a bit, the lacing and some foam continue to persist.

Smelling this beer reveals piney, citrus, herbal and grapefruit. I'm sure I'm missing some part of this beer's nose, but I can hardly wait to taste it.

Hop overload is an understatement. One of the most hop solid beer I have ever had, and I know that I am drinking truly one of the best DIPA's in the country. I will leave telling you that if you have the chance have a glass or two and you will realize that DIPA's are one of the only good things in this world.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery