90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.89/5  rDev +14.5%

The first time I've had this beer since I've started reviewing. I've had many dIPAs for the first time since the last time I've sipped this baby. How does it hold up?

Appearance: A lovely golden color, with a 1 finger puffy white head. Fair lacing.

Smell: Oh baby. The first thing to hit me is a delicious bready smell. That's followed by some tropical citrus hops with some floral notes in there. It's strong and mouth-watering. Outstanding.

Taste: This is absolutely a world-class beer. It starts with a kick of tropical fruit with a generous helping of honey. Then the terrific hops kick in. The hops are bitter citrus and pungent pine, with a bit of booze in the finish. Goodness gracious.

Mouthfeel: Lively and smooth as hell.

Drinkability/Overall: Drinkability? Let's put it this way: I wish that I had tastebuds all over my body so that I could bathe in this beer. I would drink this all day every day if it wasn't for, you know, the certain death that would shortly ensue. But would it be worth it? ...I'm not saying it would be, but I'm not saying it wouldn't be.

What was I talking about? Oh, yeah. This is one of my top couple of beers in the world.

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

I was supposed to be reading up on trace metals analysis practices and getting ready to walk the beaches of Maine in a snowstorm. I was supposd to do that, but instead I found some small Irish bar in Bath, ME with 90 minute on tap. Byrnes I think was the name, and it is possibly the only Irish bar that didn't make me want to get all stabby.

The beer was cold, hoppy as hell, and strong. It fit the day and fit the week. Thanks to the DFH.

I would have been happier with less floral hops and more bitter. When its supposed to be 90 minutes of hops, I want to walk away looking like I sucked a grapefruit. The flavors balanced though, and I only fell once on the walk home.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

This beer is even better on draft than it is in a bottle. As easy as it is to get on the east coast it's one that I'll never shy away from. Great golden/brown color, good carbonation, excellent hop flavor and aroma...an all around perfect double ipa. I'm not a huge fan of the 120 but I love the 60 and 90 minute ipas.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

poured into a Warstiener glass
Clear gold. Thick head. Good retention

Floral bouquet of lemony grass hops and hint of
liquorice balanced with a citrus Piney aroma

t. Bitter sweet grainy banana, oily hops

nicely disguised alcohol.
M dry finish

d. My last beer every time

4.27/5  rDev 0%

A: Beautiful amber-gold. Head is fairly thin and dissipates quickly.

S: The alcohol was a bit harsh in the bouquet at first, but after about 2 minutes it gave way to a luxurious notes of caramel, toffee and only a hint of hops; I must say I was surprised by the way the sweeter malt notes seemed to dominate the hops in the nose.

T: Woah. In a word, "balance." I was expecting a hop monster here on the order of a Bell's Hopslam or Boulder Mojo Risin', but not to be had. The hop bitterness is present but mild, and the malt is surprisingly prominent. Now on the fourth or fifth sip I'm still surprised the way the malt almost dominates the palate in this imperial IPA. Where are the hops you ask? Well, to answer that, at the risk of being uncouth, in the burps! Yes, when you burp, there are those wonderful floral hop notes.

M: Not the tongue-shredding hop monster I'd expected: the mouthfeel is smooth and fuller than most IPAs. Yeah, tasting it again, this one in a word would be smooth.

D: For an Imperial IPA? Damn. This goes down way to easy. Unless you've already set your sights under the table, the 9% might sneak up on you with this guy. The only thing that makes it slightly less drinkable is the fuller body than I'd expected probably due to the high malt content, but that's not a knock, just a note.

Verdict: I was certainly surprised by this one. As I said, I was expecting a hop monster, and found a beer that strikes an incredible balance-not only between hops and malt, but also accommodating the 9% with remarkable drinkability. Although this is a great beer, I'm reluctant to give full marks due to arguably a philosophical difference: I think Imperial IPAs should have a greater hop presence than this one does. I remember an editorial in BA Magazine not too long ago lamenting the fact that most extreme brewing was just hops hops hops and nothing else. This does, indeed, break the mold insofar as it has remarkable hop-malt balance and drinkability for an IIPA. Still, even with the balance it has, I want at least a shade or two more hops here. Nonetheless, bravo.

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

If you like Dogfish Head's 60 min IPA and are looking for a little more bite and flavor, you must check this beer out. Slightly stronger than the 60 min at 9% ABV, this beer has nice, colorful flavor, with a slightly less than smooth feel. If you like a good strong IPA, with fruitfulness and bite, this beer is for you.

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

A: I gave this one a vigorous pour into my Moonlight pint glass. The result is a dark caramel color with two fingers of a fluffy white head and some nice carbonation.

S: The smell is much more of a mix of hops and citrus than our West Coast IPAs. A nice balance of citrus and pine hops along with a sweet, caramel malt backbone.

T: The hop flavor is mostly bitter grapefruit. There is also a very strong malt component that has a very roasted, yet sweet flavor. The finish is a bit of pine and some more grapefruit.

M: This is actually quite full bodied, but that's not too surprising for a double IPA. The tiny carbonation bubbles help to keep things from getting too heavy.

D: For a 9% beer, this is surprisingly lacking in the booziness department (and a welcome change from certain other DFH beers). That said, I still find it hard to stray from our West Coast IPAs which are just so much more hop-centric.

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mainly of hops, some grapefruit. Taste is very hoppy, some grapefruit and very bitter. A tad to bitter for my liking. Feels bitter in the mouth and is definatly not a beer I could spend the evening drinking. Overall I believe this beer style is probably not for me, as I did not much care for this beer.

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

I have had this beer many times and it is definitely one of my favorite DIPAs. Citrusy and malty sweet, the balance becomes more bitter (and therefore better balanced) as it warms and you drink. Not necessarily for the crazy hopheads out there, but this one is wonderfully balanced and delicious. Outstanding!

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into pint glass. Head was a creamy froth that lasted forever. Slight lacing. Halfway through the beer it still had something that resembled a head. Try that with your average budweiser.

Appearance : Amber, slightly on the dark side. Pretty typical.

Smell : Citrus, Slightly spicy.

Taste : Grapefruit, something else I can't pin down. I want to say coffee but thats just the bitterness talking. Someone else said toffee and that sounds right. I don't have that exactly as the grapefruit is clearly pronounced and beautiful.

Mouth : Bitter, perfectly bitter.

Drinkability : A treat for sure. One or two of these and then I can begin drinking something a little less expensive.

Pros : Yummy. Really, seriously, yummy.
Cons : Came in a 4 pack. Really no cons here.

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%

This is one of my "gateway" beers, but recently when I've gone to the stores the bottles are all 2-5 months old. So when I got to Binny's today and saw a batch from 11/04/09 I was stoked. Served in my Kuhnhenn tulip.

A - Pours with a gorgeous 2+ fingers of light tan foam that takes forever to dissipate to a thick cap (I timed it at around 6 minutes). The lacing coats the sides of the glass. Gorgeous transparent golden amber body with a stream of tiny bubbles racing up the middle of the glass.

S - A big burst of pine and grapefruit hoppiness over a strong toasted malt and toffee backbone. Maybe a bit of sweeter citrus zest, tangerine or orange. The aroma exemplifies the prototypical East Coast balanced DIPA, with both elements of the brew complementing each other and working in tandem. There's the tiniest hint of alcohol, but nowhere near as much as when I had this beer on tap a few months ago.

T - The taste is significantly less hop forward, with a initial burst of bitter grapefruit followed by a long sustained dose of toffee and cookie dough. The finish is lightly bitter, with a bit of pine and grapefruit again popping up in the aftertaste. Alcohol is again reasonably well-hidden.

M - Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with low carbonation. Body is definitively medium, and could stand to be a touch more viscous to support the ABV. There's some definite warming, even after half a glass. Finishes very oily and resiny.

D - The only thing really preventing me from drinking large quantities of this brew is the ABV, as well as the difficulty in finding fresh bottles. I've inadvertently purchased older bottles in the past (before I knew of the date-codes), or had this from old kegs, and it gets boozy and underwhelming pretty fast. I'm not sure who's at fault, but until I can reliably find bottles less than 6 weeks old this ain't getting more than a 4.

4.44/5  rDev +4%

I shared a 4 pack with my father. It was his first IPA and he really liked it.

A. It poured a dark copper/amber color. Thick one inch head. Head was off white and very firm with peaks in it. Some lacing.

S. It smelled very piney. Citrus as well. The hops smelled very fresh. This beer had a decent malt aroma as well. Thats nice for an IPA.

T. This beer was a top 5 tasting IPA for me, Just delicious. Oily fresh hops dominate. But the malt profile is impressive as well. Bready and nutty.

M. Bitter like it should be, medium bodied like it should be and dry.

D. It is very drinkable. You must be careful with beers this high in abv though so I would say that it is far from a session beer.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

an amber color with a off yellow head. consistent and not particularly sticky. nose of candy sweet and citrus fruit. a nice blend of bready nougat, pineapple, orange peel, and a earthy walnut finish that few accomplish. a tad sweet but a great one for those that are trying to introduce the double IPA into a traditional beer diet. sweet front, nice fruit in the middle, bitter finish with a nicely back malt quality.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Golden with glowing coppery quality, ever so slightly hazy. Sticky, creamy ivory colored head. Sticky lace remains long after beer is gone.

S - Complex with floral, herbal, piney, bready, and tropical notes.

T - Smooth upfront with an equal display of hops and malt. The complex flavors slowly develop and reveal themselves: pine, citrus, fresh herbs, and tasted bread with an elegant sweetness of clover honey. As the hop oils distribute and build up in the mouth a nice prickly bitterness sets in, but the malt keeps coming through to balance the equation. Really really well balanced for a beer of this intensity. Dose of yeast in a drying finish.

M - Medium body and carbonation. Chewy, syrupy, and creamy, but not heavy. Smooth and warming with the alcohol presence.

D - Dangerously drinkable.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance-copper/amber color with a good head that dissipated to fine lace,leaving trace on the sides.
Smell-citrus,metallic(in a good way),with a sweet trace.
Taste-pine,grapefruit,hops,hops,tingle of sweetness,all followed by alcohol (a bit too much for me)
Mouth feel-effervescence,with very fine bubbles.
Drinkability-if I could handle the ABV this would be a nightly
house beer

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a copper color with a nice looking one and a half finger off white head that dissipated in about 3 minutes ,leaving a thin patchy bit of head on top of the beer until it is gone. Left some very very nice lacing down the glass.

Smells hoppy, with a definite alcohol presence. notes of grapefruit, pine, some earthy undertones, and some citrus come with the hops. Very nice smell.

Taste follows suit with the smell, but is even a bit more balanced. A nice tasting brew. The pine and grapefruit together are very nice in this beer. The alcohol is definitely noticeable in the aftertaste, although it doesn't overdo it at all making it very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is great, with a nice amount of carbonation throughout. The aftertaste makes me want more. This is extremely drinkable considering the alcohol content.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

this beer poured out a copper orange color with a good one finger white head

the smell hits with a strong hop aroma but not the typical citrusy character that you might expect and some light malt tones as well

the taste is a bold rich hop resinious flavor and a good powerful bitterness. really great for how bitter it is

this beer finishes with a med body and a nice citrus note that hangs in the nasal cavity as the tongue curls a bit from the bitterness. this is really jsut a great imperial and it gets the attention it does for good reason. wonderful!

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (September 9, 2009).

Eyes: Looks very nice, dark red with a small yet surprisingly long lingering head.

Nose: The rich, sweet, bread smell makes it's way through the heavy hops. Quite complex, and not overwhelmed by pure hops.

Tongue: This is where this brew shines. The powerful hops are balanced well with the thick malty sweetness later on. The 9% ABV is barely detectable. The flavor gets even more complex and satisfying as it warms to room temperature. The hop hit is there, but this is not purely a hop bomb as seem in many IPA's/DIPA's. The definition of character in flavor.

Mouth: Smooth as silk, a touch creamy.

Libation: Overall a fantastic offering and one of my favorites around. DIPA's tend not to be session beers, but this is as close as you will get. The only thing that prevents me from drinking the whole 4 pack is the dangerously unnoticeable 9% ABV.

Is it the best DIPA around? It just might be.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

For my 100th beer review I'm reviewing the classic Dogfish 90. Cold 12oz bottle poured into chalice glass. Beer pours a golden amber color with nearly no head and a rich, fresh apricot/citrus-hop aroma.

The first sip is long and complex: first, sharp carbonation and bitterness followed by warming, fruity orange/lemon citrus flavors. These give way to a standard pale ale malt profile, and finally the familiar bitter bite of IPA finishes off the sip. After becoming acquanted with the glass the initial attack is less pronounced and the warm, sweet flavors of this Double really stand out.

What makes this beer not just good but great is its drinkability. Unlike 60-minute or Harpoon or a dozen others, drinking one of these doesn't leave the palate burned out -- and yet, this is a BIG, 9% beer, not some 3.5% English IPA tomfoolery. I feel like the only thing holding back this beer from unlimited drinkability is the alcohol content. And, unlike a 120, after 1, I feel just a little tempted to have more.

3.62/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from 12 oz bottle into standard pint glass

A- The beer pours a nice burnt orange that is pretty translucent. There is about a finger's worth of head that leaves a nice cap on the beer throughout and leaves decent lacing on the side of the glass.

S- A good example of an east coast IPA because it's not a huge hop bomb. Yes, the hops are present but the malt is the dominant scent. Also a little smell of some caramel and maybe even a little bit of honey.

T- This is a pretty balanced imperial. Not a whole lot of bitterness because of the good helping of malt. There is also a bit of honey in there and some other sweetness. Add in some orange and maybe even a hint of wood. For being 9% ABV, it is hidden pretty well.

M- A medium bodied brew that has a good smoothness to it and not a lot of bitterness like other IPA's. It almost seems like it is a bit on the syrupy side, maybe it's just me.

D- A decent beer but it is almost too sweet for me and the mouthfeel seems a little on the syrupy side. A big beer though that has the ABV hidden quite well but I couldn't have more than one or two of these in a sitting.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

pours clear amber, with a nice lasting white head, great lacing.

smells of nice citrusy (grapefruit) hops and a light caramel malt. not very complex but good.

same as the smell but a little more piney in the hop flavor bitter finish. again not complex but exceptional in the overall package.

mouthfeel has very light carbonation slightly creamy.

very drinkable not heavy at all. very good and nice abv.

overall delicious.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Bottle to SN pint glass

A: cloudy orange, half inch white head that layered with huge bubbles, looks like sea foam (that's a complement!)

S: hops and a fresh apple!

T: a crisp biscuit with a hoppy bite and slight caramel finish.

M: exceptionally smooth on the lead up to the bitters.

D: A flagship beer for the Imperial IPA category for sure. Not only does it make for a great IIPA, but a great overall beer. Simple, and complex - every sip is slightly different as it warms up in your hand. While it is at 9% abv I'd certainly drink this all night until I felt "comfortable" and be extremely satisfied. A beer everyone must try -> highly recommended.

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%

The color is a golden-toned amber copper with a light haze to it. The head is dense, foamy and ever-present, dropping sheets of lacing that cling to the glass all the way down.
The aroma is fresh hops with a clean citrus and a malt presence. Nearly as potent is a hint of raw sugar sweetness.
This one's like drinking fresh hops juice and barley, while lingering underneath sits the sugary sweetness reminiscent of the 120 without the overwhelming presence of it. Also present is a bright citrus tone, lemon and orange rind, herbal notes and a floral taste. Alcohol doesn't show much in the flavor but packs a punch, a combination that makes for dangerous drinking.
The mouthfeel has a crisp nip from a moderate carbonation and a nice rich, creaminess from the balancing malt. Body is moderate.
This is a great IPA with high drinkability despite a high ABV. I could put back a few more if it didn't kick me in the face so hard.

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance: Poured into a snifter, beautiful tawny orange with shimmers of gold along the edges and when held up to the light. One inch, beige head is creamy and stays for the entire experience, leaving very nice rings of lace around the sides of the glass.

Smell: Pineapple, pine, peach, grapefruit rind, and earth with caramel and brown sugar sweetness.

Taste: Wow. A perfectly balanced (probably overly balanced) big beer. 90 Minute has just as much malt presence as it does hop presence. First thing I notice is the smooth caramel, syrupy, brown sugar sweetness from the malt. This soon fades away, replaced by piney, citrusy, bitter hop flavors and mild alcohol in the finish. Leaves a strange, salty sensation on my lips.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, rich, thick, and juicy. Carbonation stays in the background for the most part but is present enough to make this beer drinkable, keeping it creamy rather than syrupy.

Drinkability: This brew is delicious and I want to drink a lot more but I only have four and they probably have as many calories as a frappuccino. The 9% ABV is buried well and never becomes too hot.

I'm not going to fault this beer based on the fact that it's a pretty malty and sweet DIPA, like a lot of reviewers do. Regardless of style pigeon-holes, this is a super tasty beer and suits me fine.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottled on 7/17/09.

Pours a nice golden color with a beautiful frothy white head that sticks around to the very end. Awesome lacing.

Lots of sweet malt in the nose with some nice leafy hop.

In the mouth I get some honey, sweet malts, a bit of bitterness and a dry finish. The hops are a little weaker than I anticipated, but I honestly haven't had 90 minute before so this could be normal.

In the mouth it is nice and creamy with enough carbonation to serve its purpose.

This beer is almost obscenely drinkable. Almost.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery