90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros

Appearance is that of a light amber with a head that disipates quickly but lacing lasts throughout.
Aroma is citrus with strong hints of grapefruit and malt. Slight alcohol nose present but is masked well.
Malt character is stronger than any other Double IPA I've ever had - the hops are present but overwhelmed by the strong maltiness.
Mouthfeel is smooth for ABV. My lips stick together from the sweetness.
Overall a good Double IPA - Not my favorite. I enjoy the 60 Minute IPA much better - but I favor single IPAs anyway. Not my first choice for a 2IPA, but good.

Celt44, May 29, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Of all the beers I've had, this is the one I most regret running out of. You can't get it here in Ontario, although supposedly the 60 Minute is now available at the LCBO (yet to see it, though!). I'm reviewing my last bottle of the 90 Minute...

Pours a semi-clear, orangey amber into a pint glass. Small head, but I like this beer a little colder than some, so that's probably why.

Aroma is powerful citrus -- lemons, oranges, grapefruit.

Taste is... for me, anyway... perfect! Nice and hoppy, dry but still well balanced with malt. Orange and citrus, pine and earthiness, but none of the soapiness of some other strong IPAs.

Mouthfeel is great -- smooth and coating without being slick or oily. Great, sweetish aftertaste provides some 'relief' from the citrusy bitterness (not that it's needed).

By far the best IPA or double IPA I've had.

crwills, May 27, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Bought a case.. ended up having a few every night since then. It is now a week later (have one in my hand now) and there is one left in the fridge. This is an amazing beer. I especially like the high alcohol content (9%), one beer and I have a buzz, so I only want to have a couple at a time.. unless my intent is something different. I'm definitely going to get another case tomorrow.. along with some others to try out.

ruthless325, May 26, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -3%

A: Bright amber with almost 2 inch head when poured straight down the middle of the glass. Head fades to coat the top of the beer, with a constant stream of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

S: Strong floral / hop smell raises out of the glass and meets your nose half way to your mouth. Definite citrus nose. Maybe a bit of pine?

T: The hops are definitely there, but not as strong as I had hoped. The bitterness is there but it is balanced by the alcohol. Not nearly as strong alcohol as you would expect for the ABV. Gets a little stronger as the beer warms.

M: Creamy feel that coats your whole mouth and lips. Hops stay on the roof of your mouth. Coating feeling keeps the aftertaste with you for a while and you are happy about that.

D: Overall very drinkable. Hops could be a little more agressive. Goes down a little too easily for the ABV so be careful! This one drinks like a good session beer, but at 9% it'll sneak up on you. I for one might be willing to take that chance, but not on a "school night"!! :)

jetfanzee, May 26, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

Surprisngly clear amber appearence with a short, white head.
As expected, a very hoppy aroma with a nice malt background.
First sip clearly indicates it's an IPA. Didn't really pick up the label claim of "ridiculous amounts of English two-row barley."
Nice, lingering of hops and citrusy flavors.
I didn't find this as drinkable as other quality IPA's. After one I was ready to move on to something else.

bgraney, May 24, 2006
4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

My first review of a beer on BA although I have been reviewing for most of my life, this is the beer that made me start.
I had bought it on a refill round at my favorite store; 2 weeks later had the chance to sample it. Boy was I upset that I’d waited.
The pour was very smooth (oversized pint glass). Did a harder pour on the second one, got the same amount of head.
Floral smell, sweet taste, extremely smooth almost creamy going down. You really don’t want the aftertaste to end. I am a huge hop fan, I’ve brewed a bunch of batches, please forward the recipe. All in all glad I live in MI so I can grab it when I want.

onsite416, May 22, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottle, dated 1st of May, 06, quite new, [think this would have legs....]
Pop the cap and a burst of floral. Once in the glass a nice grassy aroma. Amber colored, slightly dark, light creamy head dwindles, with some lacing. Great balanced hoppyness. This is an imperial IPA [the 120 is a Barely wine] Very nice, wish we could get on the west coast, but then we do have Stone brewery....

ReDave, May 21, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA pours a slightly hazy amber with a thick, fluffy, off-white head. I really like the smell. Citrusy hops. I could sit with this stuffed in my face all day. Citrusy hops dominate the taste, but I'm surprised at how balanced this is. I don't feel like the bitterness is out of control which I feared could be the case with this style, especially in the finish. Better than I expected, and I was expecting a lot. All of the Dogfish beers I've tried have been worth trying even if they weren't my thing. Highly recommended.

Drew966, May 19, 2006
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

On tap at the Collins Bar for their Dogfish Head extravaganza.
Quite a bit like the bottled form but a little sweeter and perhaps stickier due to the Randall phenomenon.
Nearly too much hops, nudging the drinkability down just a bit, at least for me. Could stand to be a bit more dry to my taste as well.
Still, well brewed madly/geniusly filtered.

ommegangpbr, May 18, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

What's better than 90 minute IPA through the Randall? Why, that would be CASK-CONDITIONED 90 minute IPA through the Randall. I was swimming through layers of herbal, piney, floral hop aromas and flavors with an amazingly balanced sweet malt backbone that had me silenced, but for the sound of purring deep within my bowels. Layer upon layer of hop flavor washing over every millimeter of my mouth. Nothing sharp or harsh about so much hop flavor.

dedrinker, May 18, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +11%

First off, I can't believe how balanced this beer is, I couldn't have been happier. Its a deep golden color, slightly hazy with little head and a nice lace. There is definitely a strong grain bill backing the monster hop addition, which it does nicely. The alcohol flavor also provides balance without it being too "boozy". The hop flavor is strong but isn't too bitter nor is it grassy or piney. This is definitely a standard for the style.

fizzyfred, May 16, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

[Note: this review will be knowledge-less; ie, I know nothing about the style, have never had it before, etc...I am a 90-minute virgin. That sounds weird.]

Absolutely beautiful lacing, just from the head dying. Interestingly, it has a rather plain, carbonation-light body, with a yellow-orange color. Foam is frothy and clumpy and sticky and egg-white in color.

The reason I reviewed this beer is because of its smell. Right hand to god, it demanded that I explicate its goodness. I made sounds smelling it that make my girlfriend jealous. Melon, light pine, a slight grassiness and moss are readily noticable, and with a swirl, so is a powerful alcohol, more melon, and some strawberry.

It feels like silk in my mouth. Carbonation is strong but not powerful--it's smooth and peppy but without overdue intensity. Aftertaste is without stickiness, leaving my mouth watering. Light but full-bodied. Agile, even. Warms my belly and droops my eyes.

It's surprisingly light on flavor, too, until one takes a good swallow. It's drinkable more than anything of this caliber (and hop content!) I've ever tried. When the flavor comes through, though, it makes itself known with smooth raspberry, pine, grapefruit, and lemon in such a way that doesn't surprise or knock me back. Not what I was expecting, but certainly wonderful and excellent. The "Imperial IPA" made me expect a powerhouse, with rough edges, sharp tastes, and a sumo wrestler's body. Instead, it's a smooth, Belgian-like dilettante. What a sexy beer.

cooter, May 14, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle. The appearance was normal, clear golden orange color with thick white foam. But the smell was outstanding. Resiny and full of hops, it was so appetizing. The flavor was really good also, hoppy but the malt flavor came through also. And the beer was so thick and full too. Hydroponics in a bottle.

Best IPA ever for me.

TurdFurgison, May 12, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

I bought this with high expectations, so that might explain why I was slightly disappointed with this beer. I was expecting a HOP MONSTER! It was a well balanced beer with great color. It was not as bitter as I thought it might be. There was little or no alcohol flavor which suprised me since it is 9%.

I am glad I purchased the 4 pack(which was kinda spendy), but after drinking one of them I am not sure I will buy it again.

KBC1, May 10, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured with little head but the tiny bubbles would sparsely assemble to form a thin shield of foam. Looking into the glass was reminiscent of looking down on Earth from space, through the clouds. Leaves lacing in the shape of veins, or lightning bolts down alongside the glass. An otherwise (average, but attractive) golden appearence. Aroma seems a little restrained, or compared to expectations anyhow. A unique blend of hops in this beer. I struggle to confidently detect one single kind. Mouthfeel is medium-low carbonated which suits the beer quite well. Not one swig is empty, flavour consistent in each and at the varying temperatures. While there is no alcohol 'burn', no alcohol taste in any form really, mouthfeel still acompanied with a warming sensation. You can feel the warming sensation (I must stress, no alcohol taste) in the sides of the mouth. Hops are rather restrained in the flavour, a big malty back bone sees to it. Some crisp bitterness right before swallowing. Flavour is above anything else cistruisy. Some grapefuity notes, but overall I seem to taste tangerine. As it warms flavour improves. Hops come alive a little more as the malt settles into the background. Quite deliscious. An overall excellent quality ale and really, rather outstanding.

biegaman, May 07, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

12 oz bottle. Bottled on date 04/04/06 stamped on the neck.

Poured out clear amber. Thick two finger head slowly recedes and coats the glass with a layer of sticky lace.

Aroma is fruity and floral much like the 60 min, just a little juicier.

Flavor is sweet at first followed by some pine and citrus with a little bit of spice.

Finish is long and piney, a little heat from the alcohol burns the back of the throat and warms the belly.

Pricey beer, for just a little more than what I paid for this, I’d rather have a bomber of Ruination. Still, cost aside, it was a damn good beer.

Padron4KM, May 07, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Pours a light amber color, one finger width frothy white head. Slight lacing down the glass.
S: Smell is hoppy, also earthy aroma
T: Taste is similar to smell. Sweet grapefuity flavor up front with hoppy aftertaste. Not overly bitter. Very well balanced.
M: Light to medium bodied, easy drinking.
D: YUM!!! Very well balanced imperial IPA. One of the tastiest beers I have had in quite some time. Thanks to geexploitation for this beer recieved in a trade.

loren01, May 07, 2006

a - deep orange in color, about half-inch creamy off-white head, great lacing left behind

s - very hoppy, citrus hints and alcohol

t - pine and orange hints in the taste, lots of hops, alcohol on the finish

m - getting the warmth from the alcohol, not much carbonation detected

d - very drinkable for a 9% abv....could be dangerous. I'm a bit of a lightweight and could definitely tell I drank this one.

I was very pleased with this beer. I tried this before the 60 min, so I'm anxious to get to that one. I'll definitely enjoy this one again.

WeisGuy, May 05, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

One of the first brews I tried from Dogfish Head. It poured a nice amber color. The head was nice and foamy, and an oustanding lattice remained. The nose was not overwhelming, but had a nice hoppy/malty aroma. The mouthfeel was excellent, smooth and buttery. You could just let it sit there if you wanted, but people might look at you strangely. Hops stay strong throughout, and there is a nice blend between the hops and malt. Nothing too overpowering. A bit of sweetness towards the end, but it does not linger in your mouth too long. This is 9% alchohol, but you could not really tell, which can be course dangerous. Pairs nicely with spicy foods, like pepperjack cheese. Overall an excellent beer,

Cheers to DFH

tboom29, May 04, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

This was an interesting beer. A little pricey at $9 a four pack this beer was well worth it. As I poured it into a glass this beer pour a nice dark orange color with a nice white head. The smell, fantastic. Smells like fruit with pine and a trace of alcohol very pleasing to the nose. Taste- wow a blast of fruitness and alcohol, it doesn't hide it in this beer. I would sip this one too. All in all im was very happy with this beer.

frosty, May 03, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

12 oz bottle, bottled on 3/2/06

Pours into a goblet a nice light golden orange color with about an inch off-white, creamy head.

Smells of nice citrusy/orangey hops with some pine in there as well. Also some fairly strong hints of alcohol in there. This bottle seems different than other 90 Minutes I've had in the past, not as much of a malty backbone.

Taste is similar to the smell. Very orangey and some piney hops. Not as bready as I remember. The alcohol is somewhat noticable, but not as much as in the smell.

Medium to full bodied, and a smooth creamy mouthfeel. Also somewhat oily, but not bad.

Pretty good drinkability for a 9% beer, I could see myself having a few of these. Although the 90 Minutes that I've had in the past seem a little bit different than this one. They were more malty with a bland bitterness to them. This must be a freasher bottle as the hops were more flavorful. Still, I think I would choose Goose Island Imperial IPA over this either way.

ej285701, May 03, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

I'd like to amplify everything nice that has been said about this beer and mute everything nasty. Yes, it is extremely boozey. But that's fun too. The initial impression from this beer was that I was drinking it while I was cooking beer on the stove. The ingredients just ooze all over the place. A lot of stuff went into this beer.

This is a pricey one - in NE Ohio I paid $9.99 for 4 - but it is interesting and different - I'd buy it again (how did that other person get a single for $1.39??). The bottles I got were a little dusty, but no more than a couple months old. I also have a 60 minute to try today as well and I hope it is as interesting as this.

I have also had this on tap (in Bellevue, Washington). I had alrady been thoroughly blown away by a mess of Rock Bottom stuff. Of course a 90 put me over the top. Fortunately, my hotel (the Westin) was only a couple hundred feet away. Gee, I think it was really good, but who would remember?

schoolboy, Apr 29, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured a single bottle ($1.35) into an imperial pint glass.

Poured a rusty orange, rather thick. Minimal head, about 1cm.

Smells pretty good, real floral hoppy and then sweet malts. It wants to just overwhelm you with the hops, then the malts come up and say "uh uh".

I thought the taste was a let down. Way too sweet for me. Real nice piney hops, but not "bitter". Just generic malt sweetness. Sickly Jolly Rancher flavor too. Booze gets strong as it warms up.

Nothing wrong with the mouth feel, very smooth actually because there's very little carbonation.

No way I'd drink more than one of these at a time, too much booze, too sweet. I think this is more or less junk, and the 60min is leagues ahead and cheaper.

heyitsbyron, Apr 28, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -41.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into an Ommegang chalice.

A-Clear orange liquid, 1/2" head quickly dissapates to a sticky froth that leaves excellent lacing. Unseen carbonation.
S-Smells like pine and alcohol fumes.
T-Pine then fruit juice (maybe apricot) then grass/evergreen then finishes with alcohol and syrupy sweetness combined....you know, I was expecting a hop bomb, as anything that's hopped continuously for 90 minutes should be really hoppy, right? Right? Hmmm...., or maybe it's really hoppy with hops that don't depart a bitter, citric twang...this does have a bitterness, of course, but it's of the kind that I can sleep through. It says on the label that it is balanced by a "ridiculous amout of 2- row barley", I think the malts are undetectable except in the taste of sweetness. The hops balance this sweetness, I suppose, but they are really not giving the hop presence I expect out of an IMPERIAL IPA. Instead of hop burps, I get alcohol burps, go figure...Medicinal aftertaste isn't that great either, IMHO.
M-I have to say, the mouthfeel in this beer is superb, I would classify it as medium/full, and didn't expect it to be so thick. Unseen, microscopic carbonation aids in this, i think.
D-One is plenty for me. Too alchoholic/syrup-sweet for me, or maybe there's too many Stone Ruinations under the bridge...I'm pretty disappointed, but glad I tried it though.

CRUX: INTERESTING TAKE ON DIPA. I think I have to resample this perfumy cordial when I become more Beer-sophisticated...I've had friends tell me that it's fantastic on-tap...

soultrain, Apr 27, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours well with a lace that lingers through to the end. Crisp citrusy notes in a noticeably hoppy aroma. As evolved and formidable as any double IPA I've ever had, the 90 Minute is a beautiful and delicious beer from start to finish. It's that perfect blend of hops and alcohol that the 60 Minute just doesn't capture and the 120 Minute goes a bit overboard with. At present, this is my favorite beer in the world. Of course, this is subject to frequent, substantiated changes. But for the moment, Dogfish Head tops the list.

Atlas1, Apr 24, 2006