90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Presented a clear, light brown brew with slight orange coloring. Aroma is a unique combination of floral hops, dense sweetness and perhaps some coffee. Excellent hop/malt balance. One of the best of any DIPA I have tried. Fresh floral, grassy hop flavors jump out. Big earthy hop flavor fully backed with caramel sweet malt. Some nutty, roasted malts in the finish. Slightly fruity. Excellent feel, oily, smooth, velvety, but ends slightly dry. Somewhat heavy, flavorful, sipping style. A must try.

Daehpoh, Aug 01, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -20.6%

(Bottle into Room-Temp Pint Glass)

Appearance: Light Orange with Off-White (Cream-Colored) Head.

Smell: Intense Hop Bouquet. Personally believe that it smelled far better than it tasted.

Taste: Grassy with Hints of Citris. Lingering Piney Aftertaste that Becomes Somewhat Undesirable.

Mouthfeel: Light-Medium Body, Much Alcohol Bite. Oily/Filmy. Finish Not Nearly as Clean as I'd Have Liked.

Drinkability: 1 was Enough for me. Definately a Sipping Beer. Did enjoy the Cool Buzz.

Other: Undesirable 'Gritty' buildup on and around Tongue Upon Completion. Have not tried the 120 min (yet), but I'm not Confident I Would Care for Much More Hops in my Beer.

Personal Rating: 65%

foxmul924, Jul 30, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Draught

Clear dark brownish amber with streams of bubbles supporting a very substantial head that clumps and sticks all over the glass.

Roasty, sweet malt with pine-like and slightly citrusy hops.

Caramel, toffee, creme brulee with a mostly piney and herbally but a tad bit of citrus hop on the finish.

Creamy, sweet and chewy mouthfeel. Overall well balanced and a good job hiding the high alcohol makes it very drinkable for the style.

BeerZack, Jul 30, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

A - Pours an infinitely frothy, billowing, pillowy two-finger tan head that leaves ample lacing as it edges its way down to the (clear as crystal) robust red amber body below.

S - Snappy floral hops assail the nose (pine, grass) laid on top of a caramel, even slightly chocolatey(?) malty backbone.

M - Thick, creamy mouthfeel that's at once chewy and silky.

T - Probably one of the finest IPA's I've had. Deep, buttery malts canvassing the array of hops that coat your mouth long after you've finished the bottle. Supremely balanced, fresh, and delicious.

D - As you can tell by the gushing review, this is one of my go-to IPAs; a beer that's spicy enough to satisfy the hophead yet creamy enough to placate the malt man in us all. The drinkability only suffers in that its masked ABV prevents any sessionability.

yourunclewalt, Jul 29, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4 Pack of bottles, poured into a pint glass.

First impressions - wow, this is a perfect looking American craft beer. Really nice moderately dark amber/gold coloring, 1-2 finger off-white head. It looks like it should be in show business. The smell is interesting - it's very strong at first, due to the relatively high alcohol content, but then the other aromas, hops, malt, and a bit of citrus come through and it becomes really inviting.

The flavor is a lot like the smell - at first it's just hops hammering your taste buds, then it backs off really nicely and you can taste the malt and the citrus undertones. At the end, it finishes by letting you know this is a 9% abv brew, and then it's clean. Because of the high alcohol content and the heavy hops, this isn't my idea of a session beer, but it's a great companion to a good meal or to enjoy by itself. If you want better drinkability, go with the 60 minute. This one is for the true IPA lovers - and it's a really great American craft beer.

Smixam, Jul 29, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Appearance: Poured from a bottle into a pint glass... A great looking deep amber color with a one finger head that quickly dissipates. Classic looking crew, but nothing special.

Smell: Sweet hoppy goodness dominates the nose. Aside from the hops, nothing else really has the chance to shine through... there;s a slight metallic undertone, but nothing distracting.

Taste: An explosion of hops punches you right in the face after the fisrt sip. Puckeringly bitter at first glance, but as the beer warms the brew becomes more and more balanced. A bit of citrus shines through with some barley coming in at the midpalate. Everything else is hops, hops, and more hops. They weren't kidding when theyh said this thing was continuously hopped for 90 minutes. Unmistakable hop dominance throughout.

Mouthfeel: Lightly prickly carbonation throughout. Carbonation does not die off quickly. Pretty refreshing, but fuller-bodied than what I was expecting. Punches you right in the bck of the throat immediately...

Drinkability: The bitterness of this one makes this less drinkable in my opinion, but some people like that. I'm more of a malt fan, but for those that like really up front, punch-you-in-the-mouth beers, this is for you. I actually think this is more balanced than the more widely known 60 Minute IPA, since there is some malt evident. I had to drink this one slowly, but it's the best of the IPA style, in my opinion...

BucBasil, Jul 27, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours a clean copper color with a nice off white head. Aromas that are floral, and sweet hints of grapefruit. In the taste, a smooth bitter sweetness, with a touch of alcohol in the end. It is a bit sticky/ sweet, with a big bitter after taste. Very easy to drink. A great double/ imperial IPA, although I do miss the 750 ml bottles.

OWSLEY069, Jul 26, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

At this point, this is the best double IPA I have come across. Crisp, refreshing and very drinkable for double IPA at 9%. The smell is nice and hoppy and the taste is crisp and clean especially for a double IPA. The mouth feel is intense and it hits all of your tastebuds. Another enjoyable experience from Dogfish Head.

mymrnngjckt, Jul 25, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Nice big head with great retention. A beautiful copper color. Nice fragrance, but lighter than I expected. Fist taste is nice and hoppy, with a remarkably smooth finish. Almost a sweet finish or undertone to it. Nice alcohol taste to it, but the beer packs enough of a kick to it to restrict the drinkability just a bit.

mhaugan, Jul 25, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Beautiful topaz color; very clear.
S: My first response was that it wasn't as hoppy as I would expect. Certainly you have the piny and citrusy notes of northwest pacific hops, but you also have peach, honey and bubblegum aromas as well.
T: You get a slightly tart, acidic feel on the top of your tongue at first, with a honeylike sweetness that gives way to a resiny, bitter finish. While the flavor of grapefruit rind lingers after you swallow, so does the sweet, almost caramel-like maltiness. For something that has a reputation as a hop bomb, it's very well balanced.
M: Appropriately carbonated--light but not too light.
D: Wouldn't have guessed this was 9%.

Overall: as somebody who is not a hophead and rarely reaches for an IPA, this was a very pleasant surprise. Much in the same way that I think the best barleywines have a nice bitter finish to lend some balance, this XIPA has enough malty sweetness to stand up to the IBU's. I would definitely grab another one of these (which is a good thing since I bought a four-pack).

Windigstadt, Jul 24, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Fantastic taste.

Color - light golden hue
Smell - I give everything a 3 because I have a poor sense of smell
Taste - great initial taste - nice burst of flavor right at the beginning and pleasant alcohol aftertaste
Mouthfeel - perfect carbonation
Drinkability - nice beer but due to having 9.0 a.b.v. might not be a session beer.

pieper, Jul 24, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Blind Tiger in Greenwich. Love it.

Being a west-coastie, I've been looking forward to this for a long time. The only other DFH I've been lucky enough to get my hands on was Raison D'etre at Stone's outfit in Escondido. It is now poured, and sitting before me, foamy, relentless head perched maginficently upon it's orange/copper shoulders. Smell is alive, sweet creme brulee and brilliant piney hops. An enviable balance is acheived in the flavor, and though there are no surprises that deviate from what's suggested by the nose, it's wonderful. The mouthfeel isn't luxurious, it's luxury itself, with a deeply satisfng warm finish. All this, and it manages to be incredibly refreshing. I think you could safely say that I enjoyed the hell out of this beer, and will jealously seek it out whenever I find myself back east.

jeffjfindley, Jul 17, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

I've considered this my favorite beer ever sine I had it on tap one night at the Blind Pig in Champaign, IL. I tasted it again tonight after much more beer experience, and I'm still going to leave it in my top two.

It poured reddish-gold with a thin, lacey head in a pint glass. The nose was hops hops hops, with a side of fruitiness. Taste is crips, more hops, and bitter with an alcohol tail.

This is a great summer BBQ or porch-sitting beer, in my opinion.

Blupoet03, Jul 17, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Being from Delaware, I've had the chance to sample a lot of Dogfish Head's best ales. I've been down to the restaurant, toured the brewery, knocked back some samples of 90 Minute at various beerfests, and had the pleasure of drinking the 90 Minute fresh from the tap. Just so you know where I'm coming from: I really like how Dogfish does their IPAs, and this may be my favorite. But I wanted to review a bottle, to see if it can match the draught I've previously enjoyed. And so, from a cold 355mL/12oz bottle and into a glass mug ...

A thick creamy warm foamy head dissipates in a slow burn around the perimeter of the glass, large bubbles yawning as it simmers but never settling, maintaining the creamy head. The head continues in a thick, pulpy foam halfway through the beer, the copper colors looking rich against the white head.

Smell is hoppy, fruity, and a metallic smell faintly discernable. The smell lets you know that this is going to be a hoppy mouthful. A subtle fruit note hangs on to the edge of the smell, promising a really complex taste. I don't know if I lingered over the smell too much, because I woldn't exactly call it complex (just a lot of hops!), but it's a smell that got me excited to plunge into this beer. A musky oak, maybe, but that fruity tinge is unmistakable, always undercutting any prevailing scent to remind you that this will be flavorful. Scorching charcoal? Maybe, maybe not.

Taste ... ahh, how nice. An instant hoppy bite on the palette, but a smooth and tempered followup that doesn't overindulge in the bitter hops. They're there to be sure, but what could be overpowering turns out upon tasting to be well balanced and measuered.

Mouthfeel is bitter, but not biting; dry but not scorching; powerful but not overpowering. There's a lingering sweetness after a generous swallow that plays well off the bitter front. There's an unmistakable creaminess and fullness in the mouth, resplendant flavor at each step of the sip, that makes this feel like a real hearty drink. Each sip feels really balanced as well, nothing too overpowering that makes me taste the high alcohol. Maybe picking nits, but the beer is a little dry toward the end.

Drinkability is fantastic. I'd love another. Especially having had this beer fresh on tap at the DFH brewpub, I know how good this beer can taste fresh, and this bottled incarnation is damn near perfect. The hops are a little stale by the end, and the maltiness never diminishes, but it's a solid drink that never lets up in delicious intensity or fullness. The high alcohol content could be a turnoff, but the taste is so rich and balanced that there should be no problems slowly sipping and enjoying a few of these.

TheClassical, Jul 16, 2007
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

A- poured an amber that was crystal clear, poured a huge 3 inch head that lasted for a long time. It was an offwhite head.
S- Very hoppy, a little fruit essence is noticable from the floral hopiness, can notice some malt presence in the beginning too
T- Strong malt, slightly sweet, which turns into a heavy piny bitter hops that comes on very smoothly, but very strongly. an extremely satisfying and crisp
M- slightly strong carbonation with a medium, but solid body
d_ with the alcohol this is dangerous, very delicious, especially for a hophead like myself

Atron67, Jul 16, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

One of my two favorite everyday IPAs (the other being Flying Dog Double Dog). Pours a great orange-straw color, with a nice, sturdy head. Great, luscious pineapple aroma. The flavor is full of bittersweet pineapple hops and just enough malt to hold it together. Like all DFH beers, it has a wonderfully smooth, creamy mouthfeel, despite some generous carbonation. It does produce a little harshness at the back o the throat, but the finish is clean and hoppy.

Flyer, Jul 15, 2007
4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

DEAR LORD! my favorite brew right now. I have had it on tap at American Beer Fest, and Max's on Broadway hooked up to Randall; and in the bottle.

A- An absolutely gorgeous copper. As close to the actual color as I have seen. The head is a half inch thick and white. Lacing follows this one in a clean glass all the way down.

S- A strong aroma of Pineapple hits me first, and makes me want to dive right in. THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS CONSIDERING THE ALCOHOL! On the back notes dance malt and Simcoe hops.

T- Well to say the the malt hits fast and hard would be an understatement. Very sweet, but the balance is there. The next is the fragrent aroma of the purest west coast hops that you have have ever had. Citrus bursts through, then spiciness. There is a cutting bitter and alcohol that balances everything.

M- WOW! Talk about the full experience. It has a velvet malt mouthfeel. With the roll onto your back palate with a balance of bitter. IT IS VERY FULL AND VERY FILLING!

D- O DEAR LORD!
This one is so drinkable and so smooth that I have had the worst night of my life on this one. I remember showing up at SALT in D.C., with no reservation, and sitting at the bar slamming them back. It was my second experience with it, and it demanded respect. I remember getting to the table and not being able to speak. From then on I have respected this one limiting myself to 3 at the most.

P.S. Can't wait to try this one on Monday.

viperpiper522, Jul 13, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Sampled on tap at The Spot in Bethel. Nice copper color fairly clear no head but I'll blame that on a bad pour, but hey I did get a really full pint. This is a beer you can smell even when it is just sitting on the table in front of you, a lot of citrus hops come through in the nose. The taste mimics the smell mouth puckering bitterness from the citrus hops but the beer is sweet enough that the bitterness doesn't overwhelm. Also the alcohol is very well hidden by the sharp bitterness I had to remind myself that this was a 9% beer to keep from drinking it too fast. Mouthfeel is alright nothing spectacular and the drinkability is actually not bad because the alcohol is so well hidden and this beer is so well balanced.

fank2788, Jul 13, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

12oz bottle with bottled on date of 4/11/07. Gorgeous dark orange color with a perfect sticky head and lace. Smell is intense with pine and alcohol. Malt nose is also intense with a scotch ale-like(wee heavy), fresh wort aroma. Flavor is powerful and complex. Give the glass a swirl and allow it to warm and the various flavors include: fresh malty wort, golden raisins, dried apricot, canned peach, caramel, sweet roll, sweet sticky citrus candy, fresh hop oil, pine, mint, alcohol phenols and various fruity esters and overtones. Wow, this is an IPA? Has more of an old ale or barlywine-like complexity. Or more like a belgian ale made with domestic yeast. I have sampled different stages of age and on-tap and this beer always tastes great. The 9%abv is most likely the reason it travels and ages so well. Would pair perfectly with an apricot glazed meat or fish dish. The hops and alcohol would cut through the sweetness while also matching the flavors.

mshallah, Jul 12, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Golden amber, with a thick white head, with very good retention.

S: Boozy, fruits of golden raisins, honey, and some grapes, very winey in a way.

T: Different than what I was expecting. Light fruity tastes, with a clear alcohol profile. Brandyish and phenolic. Tastes a lot like the 120 minute with a lot less alcohol, clearly very interesting.

M: I happen to like the mouthfeel a lot. Smooth, very smooth from the ethanol, creamy, almost medicinal.

D: This beer is strange, I thought it tasted a lot more like a barleywine than a 2IPA. Try it for yourself, it is definitely an intriguing brew.

Halcyondays, Jul 12, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle. Pours a clear amber with a 1.5 cm off white head (mostly diminishing). Moderately malty and slightly hoppy aroma with a tinge of citrus. The initial flavor is mostly sweet with the citrus and hoppiness kicking in on the back end. Creamy texture with light carbonation. I just saw that this beer is 294 calories per bottle, wow, otherwise I wish I could drink this every day.

joekfsu, Jul 12, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA pours a slightly hazy orange gold with a one inch head that only sticks around for a minute. The aroma is fresh hops, and not much else. Bitter citrus, herbal and fruity hop aroma. The taste is a biter punch of hops, more citrus, grapefruity and slightly piney. The sweetness of the malt balances it well, however. Although hops are certainly the feature, sweet pale malt flavor really does a good job of making this one very drinkable. The alcohol is noticeable and slightly medicinal in the aftertaste, but not over the top for 9%.

ericj551, Jul 11, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Expertly poured into a snifter at Henry's 12th Street Tavern in Portland. Props for great presentation. Big, attractive head that slowly dissipated but never quite went away despite taking my time to finish. Lots of sticky lace left behind. Clear, color is sightly dark, orange-tinged amber.

This is one of those beers you can smell from a distance. Explosive citric, fruity hops and sweet malts. I smell grapefruit, tangerine, caramel, a little bit of pine, raw sugar, and a little bit of alcohol. I'm a fan of the complexity.

Intensity and complexity rule with the flavors. Having not read any reviews before drinking this, I was surprised with how sweet and malty it was. I was expecting more of a hop bomb, but the hops gave way a bit to the sweetbread-like malts after experiencing the aroma. Maybe it's not that they gave way, it's just that I think the hops themselves even tended on the sweet side, almost like a slightly overripe grapefruit or orange. I can't believe the 90 IBUs this beer is supposed to have. It just didn't seem that bitter to me. The citric and slightly piney hops certainly were present, and had a great, lasting aftertaste.

Mouthfeel felt slick, full, and coated my mouth. Low carbonation, warming alcohol. It stuck around a while, keeping the flavors swirling for about as long as possible. Great for the complex flavors in this kind of beer.

While I still favor a hoppier IPA, I can't help but be impressed and admire this expertly crafted brew. So strong it can be too much of a good thing quickly, but I'm a sucker for its rich complexity.

josiahschlender, Jul 10, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another DFH craft brew that everybody raves about.

Pours a light-colored, creamy head. Body color is not exactly golden, but softer like actual gold. Lacing retention is good.

Smells a sharp, flowery-citrus. This beer could be the American (cascade) hop poster-child. There is a strong enough barley malt back to support the hops making this brew much less tangy than anticipated which this malt-mouth prefers.

Taste is hoppy with alcohol; while the hops are sugary sweet, the alcohol overpowers it which is a constant I have found in many DFH beers, the large alcohol taste. Still just malty enough to satisfy which I suppose comes from the English Tow Row barley they use according to the label.

The carbonation is crispy and has a thick texture for an ale.

It's good, but like many expensive IPAs its kinda strong. If it were more hoppy than alcoholic then I might be more satisfied. Looks like its time for the 120 min IPA.

tapman, Jul 10, 2007
4.15/5  rDev -3%

Appearance: Pours a clear copper body with a small, creamy white head.

Smell: Lavish, rich caramel maltiness with pronounced accents of pine, juicy citrus fruits, and dried pineapple.

Taste: The malt and hops march side-by-side along the tongue with lush sugary caramel sweetness and pineapple juice garnished with pine needles. Sweet-bitter finish, with the bitterness enduring into the aftertaste. The purported 90 IBUs can hardly be felt what with all this rich, malty sweetness within. The ABV, though apparent, thankfully isn't glaring.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel. Quite warming.

Drinkability: I'd recommend a 7-day 90 Minute Imperial IPA Diet. Go ahead, blow your mind once a day for the next week. That is, If you want all the squishy parts of your brain to leak out my ears.

ChainGangGuy, Jul 09, 2007