90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottled 5/30/08. Served cellar temperature.

Color is a bright and clear copper, with all sorts of orange hues when held to the light. The cream-colored head is frothy and long lasting. Some lacing.

Big hop aroma. Piney and herbal one second, and flowery and citrusy the next. I suspect Cascade and other C hops, and Amarillo, at least. Some honey-sweet malt comes through as well.

Impressive depth of hop flavor here. It's a strong kick of straight bitterness in the first sip or two, but complexities develop with citrus fruit (grapefruit, tangerine) and oily, leafy hops (piney, minty). It's so mouth-filling that you just want to take a bite out of the beer and chew on it. No shortage of malt here. Very pale, with some caramel/honey sweetness. Melon. Finishes mainly with minty/herbal notes. I would say there's more of this here than citrus. Some other IIPAs feature citrus much more. It wouldn't have hurt here, as sometimes the bitterness gets too close to that one-dimensional aspirin zone.

Alcohol tingles the tongue a bit, but that's part of the trade-off for more aroma at warmer temperatures. Starts off a bit bubbly, but becomes slick and fuller when the carbonation fades. Creamy. DFH continues to win when it comes to this aspect of beer.

A bomber of this would be ideal, but two bottles get the job done. Harsh for a few ounces but quickly becomes an easy drinker. I would say the booze is not especially hidden, but not a distraction. It maybe even helps. I find the second beer to be much more balanced and interesting to me. The rich malt really adds drinkability to this, as I keep finding new qualities well into the second beer. Not an everyday beer, but the availability and relative affordability make this a likely repeat buy when I have a taste for a IIPA. A rare big beer that could easily be sipped on all night.

Edit: Upon another tasting, I admired the appearance much more. Huge, thick lacing. Tons of slow-moving carbonation bubbles added to the appeal.

ommegoose, Aug 14, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

A - Orange/Amber color with a nice foamy head of about an inch. The head has disipated over 15 minutes but leaves a nice lacing.
S - Citrus hops. It has a very fruity and refreshing smell with a bit of that bitter hop smell (very very slight)
T - Citrus tastes with a nicely controlled hop. It's a dry-hop done well, bitter but not a kick to the mouth which is balanced by the sweet and citrus tastes.
M - The mouth feel has a light but full body feel. Because of the ABV there is a slight tingling sensation on the tongue which adds to this great beer. It is a refreshing beer to drink at any point during the day.
D - I could drink this every day of summer. The 9% ABV could be a reason not to drink many at a sitting. It's not for those who aren't into hoppy beers but it is no hop rocket either.

chesterspot, Aug 13, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured a 12 oz. bottle from a 4 pack into a pint glass.

A- Pours syrupy with a beautiful clear red amber color and very little head.
S- Wow does this beer smell good. Lots of citrusy hops and sweet malt.
T- Extremely complex. Lots of bitter hops with sweet malts to back it up. Actually the sweetness of this beer really stands out. Everything in the taste is extremely well balanced.
M- Thick and syrupy, noticeable alcohol warmth.
D- Would I sit and drink these all night? No. But for how high the ABV is, this beer is extremely drinkable.

Shumista, Aug 12, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Appearance: Raisin colored. Deep amber with an off white head.

Smell: Earthy hop aroma with some malt backbone.

Taste: More malty than I expected. Sweet. Nice hops. No harshness. Needs more IBUs for me.

Mouthfeel: Heavy. I really like it. Feels like I'm chewing my beer.

Drinkability: Nice beer. Would buy again if I could afford it

Squelch, Aug 11, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a beautiful clear amber color, thin head that dissolves slowly.

The hops in this are masked nicely by a roasted nutty malt scent. Not the typical DIPA scent.

There is some dark fruit present in the taste, as well as maybe molasses and or brown sugar, with caramel undertones. Hops are in there but are balanced well. Taste more like a dark beer than an DIPA.

Goes down very smooth, as the bitterness is not overpowering. Good dry coating on the tongue.

Overall a very unique and drinkable DIPA.

WillieMoe, Aug 11, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

I had a pretty crappy day, so was happy to find this at a local store. Really haven't seen much DFH anywhere in the San Fernando Valley.

A: A clear reddish amber with many tiny bubbles rising from the bottom. The head is just a thin film, but with good retention and lacing. Pour appears somewhat syrupy.

S: Lots of citrus and pine hops with a bit of underlying sweetness.

T: Mild sweet beginning with some nice amber malts and decent amount of sweetness. Afterwards comes out mild hops, mostly citrus. Hop flavor is much less prominent that I had expected. Good balance to the flavor, but almost comes off as a hopped up amber ale.

MF: Medium body with plenty of carbonation. Fairly smooth going down, although the carbonation does leave a nice fizzy feel in the mouth. Moderate warming.

D: Supremely drinkable IPA, but not quite as hoppy as I would like, or as I was expecting to be honest. I had this on tap at The Library in Santa Monica a few months ago and it did NOT taste like this. This could mean one of two things-the bottle is pretty old (can't tell, no bottle dating), or the wasabi peas I ate a few hours ago completely killed my taste buds. Regardless, this is a very nice beer, but I'm just used to the taste bud assault of my west coast DIPA's, and just don't get it with this.

rxdrewthejew, Aug 10, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

poured in to a shaker pint

thin head poured by server with deep orange color

smells of grapefruit and pine at the temperature i got

very smoothe, malty dipa with a sweet clingy feeling

very full mouthfeel

great dipa to drink. it tastes great and smells great

it might be more malty than i remember

aubuc1, Aug 09, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

On tap at Brendan's Irish (!!!) Pub in Louisville, KY.

Holy wowsers, batman! What a fine beer. Note that this review issues from an avowed malt-lover.

Came to the table with a decent head, nice white meringue-looking, over a clear amber body. Nothing special about the appearance, so immediately I'm thinking, "Meh." Then I brought it under my nose, and things began to feel better.

Smell is grassy citrusy and floral-bright with a note of pine and warm orange peel. Solid cracker-malt base. Smells great.

Taste is full and rich, with good malt underpinnings and an intense load of hops: citrus, floral, pine-bitter, metallic and grassy. Not overly bitter, as the malt depth brings balance. This is as it SHOULD be in a DIPA. I really liked the taste.

Mouthfeel was perhaps the best part: not cloyingly sticky, but rich and round, yet with that crisp finish a DIPA should have.

Drinkability is only diminished by the intense ABV. This is not at all one-dimensional, so there are enough flavors going on to keep this one interesting for quite some time.

Here's a malt lover, giving 90-Minute a high score, so you know it must be well-made and totally balanced. I'll have it again for sure!

ColoradoBobs, Aug 08, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

A: This beer poured reddish brown with a finger of white head.

S: Floral and of big hops.

T: Sweet, citrus, flowers, good hop flavor.

M: Smooth, good carbonation.

D: I really enjoy this beer. It has a big hop flavor, but I feel this beer would be very approachable to people who otherwise wouldn't appreciate a hoppy beer.

Lepley, Aug 04, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -19.4%

This is a big beer. Apon pouring into my favorite pint glass, the hop aroma isnt as strong as I would have liked. The color was a rich copper. The flavor was malty sweet, and IMO the hop flavor was hidden by the alcohol and the malty sweetness. This beer is a cut above the rest, only due to its high quality ingredients. The mouthfeel is syurpy, and its drinkability is no more than a 2-3. If you want a nice hoppy beer, go with the 60 minute

NoahSYGG, Aug 04, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Found this at a Yoke's in the Tri-Cities, WA, last fall. I've been saving it for some reason, mostly because all my beer-drinking attention of late has been directed at the wonderful local seasonals. Now that we've got a cool, rainy day, at the beginning of August no less, time to let this dog out...

This beer pours a slightly hazy copper colour, with an inch of sticky, bubbly head, that takes a few minutes to disappear. Looks like a consummate IPA. The smell is very malty, with a background essence of citrus-aroma hops. A bit of heat in there too. The taste is very heavy on the sweet, molasses side, until the follow through on the finish, where the sides of my mouth perked up to the latent hop character in the balancing act that is this beer. I think the hops may have quieted down a fair bit in this bottle, which is over a year old, the majority of that time being in my fridge. Nonetheless, this is a big beer, which comes together fairly nicely overall, for its elevated alcohol. It definitely becomes nice and smooth once the constituent flavours have had a chance to mingle.

biboergosum, Aug 03, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Picked this up on a whim at QFC today.

A: amazingly clear copper color with a beautiful off white head that disappears to a minimal speckled layer of bubble islands on the surface.

S: Smells of typical strong citrus flavors, almost candy like, very hoppy. Makes me salivate. Unnoticeable alcohol presence.

T&M: This is surprisingly smooth. Carbonation and overall mouthfeel make this beer almost creamy smooth. Very hoppy up front, but fruit flavors take over shortly after, filling your taste buds with delicious sweet citrus notes. Slight alcohol warming on the way down your throat but unnoticeable in the taste or smell. As this beer warms, like other reviewers have noticed, the balance between hoppyness and sweet maltiness increases and produces an awesome flavor experience.

D: Unsurprisingly, this is very drinkable beer despite it's high ABV. Great taste, unbelievable mouthfeel. Awesome IIPA!

julian, Aug 03, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle with 04/22/08 bottled on date into a snifter.

Appears a mostly clear dark orange amber with a one and a half finger off white head that leaves a bit of lacing down the side.

Aroma is of citrusy and piney hops, sweet caramel, dried fruit, and raisins.

Taste starts out with a dose of sweet malt, then the hops kick in, but are then almost overpowered by the maltiness. In the end they wind up mingling together nicely. Finish is almost cloyingly sweet, but the hops knock it back down to size. A light bitterness lingers on in the mouth.

Mouthfeel is not quite full bodied, but on the fuller side of medium. Nice and oily, good level of carbonation.

This is actually one of the first IPAs that I ever had, after Stone Ruination (starting out strong!). Since that time it has gradually faded from my favorites as I have tried other DIPAs. This one just ends up seeming a touch too low on the bitterness and high on the maltiness scale. Don't get me wrong, it's a great beer, just a touch too sweet for my taste.

roadhouse, Aug 02, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

(Somehwhere in Time...Sept '07)
I conned the people that I was with, into throwing me into a car and head up the road from Bethany, through Dewey and into Rehobeth...Use the GPS...and then stated that there was some sort of Ice Cream joint on the way...(I managed to escape)... and found my way to.... the 90 Minute IPA @ the DFH Brew Pub in Rehobeth....Through the Randall/Randell/ (whatever the spelling is) device....Let's just say that I was somewhere between Barstow and Baker...Holy Crap...I smelled hops aprox one foot away from the pint glass...Can you argue with that...But I could only drink one...Then I moved On to the Midas Touch...What can I say more than anyone else...Cheers to the DFH

TonyT, Aug 02, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a nice amber/orange body with 1 inch head upon an aggressive pour. Head receeds but lacing stays quite active. Mellow piney and ctirusy hops in the nose follwed by a sweet smell, very nice! Taste is amazingly balanced for a DIPA - thick malt backbone balanced by a good hop bite in the end. Bitterness lingers in the medium finish

This beer is always readily available in fridge, superb drinkability.

phattysbox, Aug 01, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

A- Beautiful

S- Olfactory jubilation

T- Buccal ectasy; yum

M- Tiny divine bubbles molest my oral space

D- More please

Quintessential attainable IIPA experience. The baby brother of my favorite beer, DFH 120 minute IIPA. I would love to expand on the complexity, but I do not believe there is much to expand upon. This beverage represents what is desirable in a IIPA: Heavy on the hops, bit of alcohol bite, and smooth drinkability.

Mikey905, Aug 01, 2008

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Huge hear required me to wait before finishing the pour. Looking thru the glass this beer is dark gold, clear, with hardly any bubbles...looks solid. Taste was a little more on the alcohol side than I had expected...especially after reading the reviews. The hops was great and balanced well...overall a good beer and I enjoyed it, not sure if I could drink more that one at a time due to the alcohol taste.

unionturf, Jul 31, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Dogfish Head is a brewery that consistently produces a quality beer. Their 90 minute IPA is no exception. It's look is deep in color, as IPA's go, and as you swirl it the beer takes on a look not unlike many scottish ales. 90 minute IPA will hold a thick head at first pour which will recede to a thin lace as it warms. This beer is idealy drank in a stemmed glass will a large bulb and a tight rim. This is so the amazing fruity nose can build; this happens to be this beer's most striking characteric. The aroma does not end with the first whiff. As you drink this beer you will go from liking it to loving it. Usually breweries tend to try to hard when producing an IPA and get it wrong with either too much hop bite or too little alcohol. Dogfish head's 90 minute IPA is probably the best balance between hop, malt, and alcohol of any beer I have had the pleasure of enjoying. I recommend cooling this beer to around 55 degrees and drinking it slowly so that you will give it time to warm. As it warms you will find a "sweet spot" where all the flavors blend. I estimate this around 61 degrees. Enjoy!

PerzentRizen, Jul 31, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

WOW, this is one amazing brew! Sampled a 12 ounce bottle which I poured into a merlot glass. The aroma was an intense mixture of hops, sweet malts, and more hops. The bitterness of the aroma lead me to believe that this beer may be too much for me. In the glass this beer is a wonderful amber color with ample head and very nice lacing. Once I took my first taste I was immediately blown away by the flavor of this beer. The hops were not overpowering like I had expected, in fact they hit you at first but mellow out to give way to some nice malt flavors. This beer is extremely high in alcohol content but you wouldn't know by the flavor which hides it well. I could definitely see myself enjoying a few of these and then sliding back into my comfy chair with a very nice mellow buzz.

kinger, Jul 30, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured into a tasting glass, bought at Beer Monster in Bradenton, Florida. What a beautiful amber color with a rather thin but resilient head.

I must say, i've had this beer on several occasions, and it blows me away every time. A perfect balance of hops and malts. I don't know if i've ever had a better double IPA. A pleasure to drink and it packs a respectable 9% ABV. I have and will buy this again.

P.S.- If your a fan of this double IPA, try butte creek's organic one.

JAA, Jul 29, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -14%

On tap at the flying saucer. Dark copper color, amazing clarity. Head is super frothy with very fine bubbles! A very pretty beer.

Pine trees, resinous hops and crushed malt dominate the nose...hopheads rejoice!

Very good beer. Was expecting this to be way too hoppy, but it has a strong malt backbone to balance it out nicely. Big beer and worthy! Sometimes Dogfish goes a tad overboard, but this one hits the bullseye. Well done.

Highly recommended, especially on tap. One of Dogfish's finest.

twiggamortis420, Jul 27, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

90 minutos pours a clear tangerine gold with a cap of lemon tinted cream colored sliky fuzz.

Smells of sweet caramel malts, apricots, and pineapple along with some freshly floral-piney and spicy herbal hops.

Flavors of sweet caramel / honey drizzled bready maltiness with fruits of the orange and pineapple varieties. A nice bit of spicy floral-piney bite, and a solid bitterness from those two plus citrus rind. Medium-full bodied brew with a lift of fluffy-fuzzy carbonation.

Damn good two-I. Worth it's rep as one of the best (and being so widely available doesn't hurt).

Slynger, Jul 27, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

appearance: pours clear and dark amber, very slight head.

smell: the nose is dominated by resiny hops

taste: i can taste all 90 minutes, chock full of hops, but finishes sweet with an intense maltiness.

mouthfeel: heavy and oily from the hops, but the malt on the finishes clenses the bitterness and prepares you for the next sip

drinkability: at 9% this beer pack a wallop, i'll have maybe two.

mike24, Jul 25, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured a light amber in color with a white head. There is a very nice aroma, a lot of hops. The aroma was very intoxicating. I was suprised by the taste. A lot of hops, but not very bitter. The only taste I could home in was hops, but it was excellent in flavor. Mouthfeel was good, almost thick enough to chew. After one or two, I might get tired of the flavor. Quite a bit of hops, and it sits a bit on the heavy side.

tbeck, Jul 24, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -7%

Very prominent hints of citrus fruits and pineapple. Slightly spicy and piney. Tangerine-like character appeared later on. Big on alcohol, a bit too big I'd say. I also expected to pick up some malty sweetness in the aroma but couldn't find it.

Slightly hazy, light copper with some yellowish orange highlights. Formed a one-finger white head that did not persist. Imperial IPAs should have head retention, this one didn't.

Intense bitterness with citrusy/spicy flavors being most prominent. This bitterness lingered on into the medium-finish. Malt sweetness is there but a bit too intense.

Medium bodied, moderately carbonated. Smooth and warming. Non-astringent. Exactly what an IIPA should be!

Overall it's an intensely hoppy IIPA with lots of citrusy/spicy/piney character. A bit sweet and lacking in malt character which could be corrected by finishing the beer out drier. Fix the head retention, too and we've got and even better beer. Still, I'd definitely finish the 1st pint and maybe even a second.

BrewerB, Jul 23, 2008