90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

Nose: When I hear people say that Imperial IPAs smell like cat urine I typically scowl in skepticism. However, I really do get that aroma in the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA; and I mean that in the best way possible. Along with this strong presence of pungent hops and powerful malt comes a touch of orange caramel, and oddly enough, even a faint smell of espresso beans.

Appearance: Pours an impressive clear medium burnt orange color with a diminutive tan-colored head. Right off the bat I can tell you there is not as much head as I normally like to see on an Imperial IPA. Even a forceful swirl of the glass brings minimal head to the surface. There is, however, a nice bit of lacing which at least proves there's something good going on in this bottle.

Taste: This definitely tastes like an Imperial IPA, yet it has a heaviness that you don't normally find in its class. Even as I taste it I'm reminded of the same bitterness one might expect from the mouth feel of an espresso. And while I do only get a faint taste of coffee, there is clearly enough hops to keep it firmly planted in IPA territory.

Palate: There is a good amount of bitterness here. Although, I would hope that an Imperial IPA would have a touch more luster than this seems to have. The bitterness and flavor profile that is left behind is quite pleasurable, though.

Overall: Not as impressed as I'd hoped, but I'd definitely drink a shit ton of these again. The hoppy bitterness is really pleasing and the flavor it leaves behind is quite enjoyable. At 9% ABV, I think this is a good session beer if enjoyed 12 ounces at a time.

3.63/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this beer once before and it was definitely not what I was expecting for DIPA. The color is a ruby brown with a slight white head and minimal lacing. Smell isn't very DIPA either. Complex carmel malt a slight hop note and alcohol. Taste blurs the line between barleywine and DIPA. A little too much alcohol burn. Too malty for a DIPA and not enough "umph" for a barleywine. Mouthfeel is creamy and enjoyable. Drinkability would be higher if there wasn't a persistent alcohol burn.

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle to pint glass.

Pour a slightly hazy amber orange with a thin head and minimal lacing. The smell was complex with alcohol, followed by tropical fruits, more fruity hops, and hints of bubble gum at times. The taste was more of the same with mainly the tropical fruits standing out. I don't taste the citrus and piney hops a lot of reviewers note.

As the beer warms the alcohol becomes more present, both in the nose and on the palate. A nice medium mouthfeel. Overall, my review might be slightly biased, as no Dog Fish beer has ever totally wowed me and the alcohol is a bit too up front for my tastes. With that said, the beer isn't bad at all.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Amber color. Poured 2 finger white head that dissipate. Laced the glass in fine rings.

S: Big floral hops up front followed by citrus and pine.

T: Big citrus pop and oily floral hops. Malt foundation in the middle. Enough bitter hops to clean the finish except a little pine that lingers.

M: Medium body. Balanced carbonation. Finish crisp enough to ready for another drink.

D: Great choice for an IPA. Big hops, enough malt to give it some body and bittering hops to balance.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Good job putting this one on tap at the Trion Greg.
Poured a dark orange with a really nice looking read. One whiff of that citrusy aroma and you knew what you were working with here, a hop fest. Really piney flavoring slams into your mouth, but after a few sips the hop burn fades and leaves you with a rather enjoyable and complex double IPA. It's about the hops, but it's also about the other things that are going on in the beer and I like that very much.
This isn't my favorite Double IPA out there, but it's a really good version. It's my favorite of DogFish Heads 60-120 minute series. The 60 is a little boring, the 120 is like drinking port, this one hits the spot.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

This beer has it all - great apperance, smell taste, finish and drinkability plus the high abv that true quaffers crave. The first taste is quite hoppy, buy after that the smoothness sets in. Although it says it is a 9% abv, it tastes more like the 6% - 7% range. The only gripe I have about this beer is the high cost, but if you drink for quality over quantity, this brew is for you.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Single 12 oz bottle from Famous Liquors in Lombard, IL.

A: Slight red hue of amber with 1.5 fingers of white colored head and good lacing.

S: smells of bitter hops and some malt

T: superb balance of hoppiness and maltiness; i usually don't like this type of malt flavor in beers but it complements the hops very well

M: full and creamy, close to perfect for an Imperial IPA

D: Very drinkable, alcohol picked up is minimal, great flavor, goes down pretty easy

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on date of 12/30/08
Poured from a brown 12 0z bottle into a pint glass.
A dark orange, gold color with a thick creamy head.
Aroma is of citrus and spice. The most prominent smell is of pineapple.
Wow! The hops hit you right in the face.
Hops hops and more hops. Piney and bitter/sweet.
Nice carbonation and nice smoothness.
This beer is so smooth and tasty that the 9%ABV. is almost non existent.
I could get in trouble from this as its extremely easy to drink.

Two thumbs up for this one!!!

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured into pint glass from 12 oz. bottle. Code says bottled on 12/5/08, so about 2.5 months old.

Pours a very light orange. Super clear, can see bubbles continually rise from the bottom of the glass. About a half finger of white head dissipates rather quickly.

Smells really pleasant. Surprisingly balance, with the hops definitely standing out but not overpowering or stinging the nose.

Quite hoppy on the tongue, more than the smell led me to believe there would be. Even a little bit more of a hop push in the finish... more bitter than it initially hits. The flavor doesn't overstay its welcome, though, as it only lingers shortly. A few moments away almost begs for another sip. The 9% ABV is completely hidden... I wouldn't have even guessed. It's so well hidden, I almost doubt the label. I'm sure a few glasses would catch up to me, though.

Mouthfeel is very good. Just enough carbonation, surprisingly full body despite light color and clearness. Pretty drinkable. I'm no hop head, but it is just refreshing enough and is clean after the finish that I could probably have three in a casual drinking night with friends, especially if I'm in the mood for hops.

Would definitely get again, might be a good beer for this summer BBQing in the Ocean State. Don't have the 60 or 120 Min IPAs handy for comparison, but it is exponentially more palatable for me than the 120, but I think the 60 may stand as my favorite.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

A-Pours a clear honey amber with a creamy white head.

S-A strong honey malt sweetness balances nicely with a strong grapefruit hop aroma.

T-Delightful! Very sweet and very hoppy. The honey sweetness and the pine and grapefruit hops co-exist nicely in perfect balance.

M-Medium bodied with carbonation a bit on the light side.

D-If ever a DIPA could be referred to as refreshing, this one is it. 9% so be careful but not wearing or tiring to drink at all.

HV

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance-
Appearance is that of a typical American IPA. Moderate head retention, that sticks to the top of the glass.

Smell-
Smell was not the strong smell that I was expecting for a Double IPA. Hops predominate, but some citrus.

Taste-
Full bodied taste. You can definatly tell this is a double with the strong hop bite. You can also tell there was a good bit of malt added, but the hops predominate. You can feel the warmth from the 9%.

Mouthfeel and drinkability-
Nice long hop finish. If you are looking for hops you won't be let down. Balanced for the style. Not a session beer by any means.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance- Pours a bright white, creamy two-finger head with moderate lacing, beer is a burnt copper color.

Smell- Nice malt and hops balance in the nose.

Taste- Full, biscuity amber malts that taste of sweet honey which are nicely in balance the hops. Hops are strongly reminiscent of spiced, dried orange peel. Complex and delicious with the brandy like alcohol rolling into the sinuses towards the end.

Mouthfeel- Smoothly carbonated with a full bodied and mouth coating thickness.

Drinkability- Exceptionally smooth and drinkable especially for a high ABV beer.

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

It has been a long while since I've had this and I have to say it's not as good as I thought I had remembered.

Pours a burnt orange with one finger head, great lacing.

Smells of malt with small amount of hops.

Taste is a balance of toasted malt and hops. Pretty well balanced, not much bitterness from the hops like I had expected.

Mouthfeel is smooth with some moderate carbonation on the tongue. A warming sensation as it goes down the throat.

Due to the balance of malt and hops, this is a highly drinkable beer.

I have to say that I am a little disappointed with this. After waiting two years to have this again, I had higher expectations. Don't get me wrong this is still an outstanding beer!

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

My first beer review and my first DFH beer, thanks sencereNC!

A - A nice copper tone with a small amount of head. Fairly clear with some carbonation bubbling to the top.

S - You can really make out both the citrus of the hops and the roasted hop smell. A very mellow yet soothing smell.

T - I am a huge IPA fan and this one is defiantly no slouch. A wonderful balance of malt and hops, follow by a pleasant aftertaste.

Overall a great IPA that i could see my drinking often, only if i could get it here.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance- Moderate carbonation, amber/golden yellow, moderate white head nice small to large bubbles travel up the glass 4.0

Smell- Plenty of yeast and hops, strong almost sour grapefruit could be picked up on the nose 3.5

Taste- Very bitter hoppy citrus notes up front on this brew, more grapefruit on the first taste, with the finish this beer becomes sweeter and sweeter, slight malts and caramel picked up late which helped to really round out the up front bitterness, a well rounded mix in the beer of sweet and bitter,4.5

Mouthfeel- heavy and best described as a very full bodied beer 4.0

Drinkability- A pretty easy to drink well balanced mix between sweet malts and bitter hops, well hidden alcohol level, a very flavorful beer, its good for sure probably a tad sweet though by the end of the beer at least for what i would look for in an ipa, that being said this is good beer worthy of alot of its praise 3.5 Overall 4.05

Retried again on 10/11/10---

I have had this beer several times in the almost 1 1/2 years since i have first tried this beer and man i really had this beer rated to low the first time i tried it. I really like this beer alot. Its delicously balanced and super easy enjoyable drinkability, here are my adjusted ratings

appearance- 4.0

Smell- 4.0

Taste 4.5

mouthfeel- 4.0

drinkablity 4.5

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

Nice looking dark peach color with a fluffy white head which stays for a while and leaves good lacing.

Citrus aroma but also had some malt sweetness to temper the hops.

Taste wasn't nearly as hoppy as I was expecting. In fact if memory serves I recall the 60 Minute tasting hoppier than this. The malt seems to balance things out well. However, there was an almost medicinal quality to it too, along with what I can only describe as shampoo. Not the best tasting IPA I've ever had.

Mouthfeel however, was excellent. Thick, creamy and very smooth. I'd only wish for perhaps a hint more carbonation.

This one should please most IPA fans. Someday I'd like to try this on tap, or maybe another bottle just to compare with the one I had. I'm not sure how long it may have been on the shelves and I know IPAs are best consumed as fresh as possible.

pours a hazy light orange color with 1/2 " head and decent lacing thru-out... smell is hoppy first then grapefruit and malt thereafter its smells very good,..not great... The taste is the same it is hops first then the citrus and pines and malt i do detect more alcohol taste in this DIPA.. mouthfeel is pretty smooth and very drinkable it is another great DIPA..not my favorite but still very good and will buy again. this DIPA is a very strong oily hop flavor brew primary ....secondary is citrus and malt sweetness.. its a b plus for sure.. another good DFH offering.. try it

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

A- Pours a clear deep copper color with a solid foamy head.

S- A very citrusy and floral hoppiness. Very pungent.

T- Sweet and citrusy hoppiness balanced with a thick syrupy sweet malt backbone.

M- Full bodied, smooth, carbonation is perfect.

D- This is a very heavy brew. A well balanced meal in a glass.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Crystal clear light copper body with a medium-sized creamy orange-white head.
S: Right after opening got a whiff of doughy malts, but mixed with a good dose of citrus hops. Combines really well. After pouring, these are a bit more subdued. Has more odors of pine and sometimes cannabis. Something sweet too.
T: Whatever the sweet smell is comes through a lot more in the flavor. Not entirely sure what it is. Sort of the somewhat cloying sweetness that a lot of imperials have. After I drink the beer for awhile, grapefruit with sugar starts to come out more.
M: Excellent. Perfect balance of carbonation and of body weight. Really creamy head that stays around for awhile, in the glass and taste.
D: A great beer overall. My first from Dogfish Head, which I've heard a lot about. I'm not sure how to rate it relatively qua an imperial IPA. I usually expect them to be bitter, a la RR's Pliny the Elder and Younger. This one, though, is predominated by a slightly cloying sweetness. Probably would want only one in a sitting, but I will definitely enjoy the other three of these I have.

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

12 oz bottle poured into an Sam Adams Sensory Glass. Bottle on date of 10-02-08.

A - copper with a 0.5cm white head. there must have been a nucleation point in the SA glass because aqueous carbon dioxide seemed to be constantly escaping solution.

S - hops: grapefruit with some pine (now that I know what pine smells like, it's a lot easier to find) and...what's this? malt? a malt aroma in an IIPA. that has never happened before!

T - sweet, like honey and then the hops come in. grapefruit and pine with a slight bitterness and a hint of alcohol. the taste seems like a slightly barleywine with less malt, but that's why i actually enjoyed this beer. it was hop juice with malt added for color like every other IIPA I have had.

M - good. i never know what to say here.

D - I would definitely drink this again. It is hands down, the best IIPA I have ever had....and yes, I've had Hopslam.

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Clear amber body with bright white head. I didn't get much lace on the glass, and the carbonation seemed a little low. But the overall flavor was strong with lots of hops in the nose and a full citrus/piney flavor that I enjoyed. The mouthfeel was just about average but the rest of the beer stood up nicely. Malts seemed to take a back seat to the hops.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

11/16/08, DFH 90 min IPA, 9.0 ABV, 296 cals p12os
draft in a pint glass @ Mellow Mushroom Pizza in Jacksonville, FL
A - 4.0 - Amber copper color, smaller head than when at home (maybe the glass?), excellent lacing though
S - 4.5 - A big hop aroma, followed by solid malt backbone to back up the intense hop presence
T - 5.0 - toasty sweet caramel malt with a bold equally balanced hop profile, hop spice on finish
MF -5.0 - medium on carbonation, med+ on body, semi slick mouthfeel
D - 4.5 - This is an excellent Imperial IPA! Very drinkable, tops on my list if I am craving this style, a very sessionable Imperial IPA, but you have to look out for the 9.0% ABV! I marked this down a half of point in "drinkability" considering the price is steep at $7 for a pint!

4.28/5  rDev 0%

I finally had to try this hyped up beer.

12oz bottle to tulip
A: One finger solid white head doesn't want to go anywhere; it retains as neat webs on the glass. Rich copper and amber colors darkened with a slight haze.
S: Hops, fruity esters and a hint of alcohol that hides well.
T: HOP! Craves attention. Slightly toasted. Bitters coming out near the end but not nearly as much as I expected considering the 90 on the IBU scale. Hints of grapes. Intense florals. The alcohol goes totally unnoticed on my palate.
M: Medium body, though closer to "light" without being thin. Balanced carbonation. Tons of residue on my tongue.
D: I'm pretty tired after drinking this beer. I don't know if it was the ABV and lack of a healthy food intake today, or if I'm just plain old tired after a long day! Either way, this is a great beer. More complex than I could even begin to discuss. I hope to continue opening up my palate to IPAs!

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Somewhat light head, doesn't quite get past one finger but holds on credibly and surrounded by attractive lacing. Vividly dark orange color with a soft brown tinge, pumpkin-like in an autumnal way, very good clarity. Hits you with a double-barrel blast of sweet pink grapefruit in the nose, followed by honey dappled scone, white pepper, granola, green tea notes, the florality a bit overmatched here, excellent staying power, amplified as it warms some. Full-bodied without getting fat or overly dense, pushes the palate to find the sweet spot where it can impress and still flow forward. There's a certain fluffiness to the carbonation, not crisp nor foamy. Sweet and juicy pink grapefruit, tangelo citrus dominates here too, the malts polish the palate while adding some cocoa powder and carob flavors. Pine resin, honey and near barley accents come next. The hops beyond the citrus not adding much flavor, just a textural drying effect through and past the mid-palate. Still, more floral here, particularly as residue. Seems relentless in its desire to please.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

The beer fills my tulip with bright amber tones. There is a large two-finger head that forms but disappears quickly and leaves a nice ring on the top. There is a ton of thick, sticky lacing on the side of the glass. Carbonation is present, but a little less than I expected.

The hops are the main item I pick up. The citrus notes are very evident and grapefruit is what comes through the most. There is also a hint of pine and some earthy tones. The malt appears to be somewhat subdued by it is still present in the nose. I can pick up some alcohol in the nose, but it is not overpowering.

The first thing I pick up is the bread-like malt, but this quickly gives way to a rush of hops. The hops definitely pack both a citrus and piney flavor and balances well together. There are also some nice spices and a touch of warming alcohol. The finish is dry and slightly bitter but much more restrained than west coast hop bombs.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery