90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a dark amber that has a reddish hue to it. There is a real nice half inch head that sticks around for a while. This beer looks very nice.
Smell is very floral hops. It's not smack you in the face hops smell, but it's hops and all hops.
Taste is very well balanced. The hops are very well complimented by a good amount of malt. They all blend and work well together. There's no bitter, astringent hops here.
Mouthfeel is very smooth and non-cloying. The label states that this beer is 9% but it's nowhere to be found. This is a highly sessionable beer that I would not get tired of drinking. I could see myself buying this regularly.

FtownThrowDown, Mar 13, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Pours a dark amber with a dense head in a pint glass. As it settles, the lace sticks to the side of the glass.

S: Hops are not too overpowering in the nose. It's a much thicker aroma than expected for the style.

T: It's the malt that hits me first. The sweetness and level of alcohol come forth in a brief explosion of flavor before the hops kick in and settle things.

M: It has a heavy, almost syrupy, presence in the mouth thanks to an adundance of hops for a DIPA. It just seems to make the flavors that much more pronounced.

D: It would be hard to drink more than one of these, which is as it should be.

JimsArcade, Mar 13, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The clear amber color and thick head invite at least a sample of this high-gravity brew. Aroma is strongly hoppy and inviting. Taste is good and hoppy, with a strong bite and a little bitterness. Zingy and smooth, it goes down the pipe nicely. Recommended to anyone who likes hoppy high-gravity beers.

Cyberkedi, Mar 13, 2007
3.6/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle scored for 8$ a four-pack. I've had this before but never reviewed. The color is dark orange-brown with a white head. The taste is slightly resinous but really balanced very nicely with the malts. The aftertaste is definitely "hot" as you can "feel the burn". A very good DIPA and even better through the randall.

ArrogantB, Mar 12, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottled.

A: Orangey amberish, not much of a head in the glass.

S: Sweet, nearly raisin like with some bananna.

T: Wow, this is a fanny kicker for certain. I tried the 60 minute a few weeks back, this 90minute is thicker with a chewyness about it. It is slightly sweeter than other DIPA’s I have had. Some bananna, some bubble gum.

M: The alcohol is high in this puppy, I can feel it half way through my glass. I wish this Dogfish head was easier to find....I paid big bucks for a 4 pk.

D: good but not fantastic in my opinion. I like my DIPA more hopped, this is on the sweeter side of most DIPA.

ChazMania, Mar 12, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I don't consider myself a hophead so I expected to be overwhelmed by this beer, but that was not the case. Clearly the hops are what's important to this beer but the overall flavor was balanced and not overly bitter. The bottle is labeled as being bottled almost 6 months ago so perhaps the beer has significantly mellowed out (but for me the mellow version tastes delicious!)

A- Poured a beautiful amber bronze color, but with almost no head, and no head retention. Some lacing but nothing impressive.

S- A whiff brings in fruity hops flavors: apricots, strawberries, oranges. A touch of the herbal side.

T- More fruit- with just a touch of sweetness and acidity. Now some maltiness showing itself. This beer tastes like a fresh breeze blowing in late spring.

M- Not overpowering, it sticks to your mouth like orangejuice leaving a great taste.

D- I couldn't taste the high alcohol content at all- if I didn't know any better this could easily be a session beer

zdk9, Mar 12, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours from 12oz bottle(room temp) a clear medium gold with a large head of foam that srinks slowly to a solid layer with lots of lacing. Very impressive looking beer.

The smell has nice grapefruit aroma with some spicy notes and a bit of sweet malt.

The taste on first sip is very citrusy(grapefruit & lemon) giving it good hop bitterness but it's balanced by a strong backbone of caramel malt and boy, does that work for this DIPA. Further sips in and the malt actually becomes the dominant feature of this brew and the warming from the alcohol also starts to play a part. Ahhh...this is great stuff. I'm so pleased Colorado is a distribtion point for Dogfish Head beers.

More sips in and it's like a seesaw ride. First the malt is dominant, then the hops are. I have to say, for a 9%abv brew, this one's drinkability factor is outstanding!

I'm just finishing what's left in my glass and I couldn't have enjoyed *any* DIPA more. So much taste and yet, so damn smooth and easy drinking. World class brew imho.

Bottom line: A nectar of the gods! I couldn't recommend it more!

Bitterbill, Mar 11, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Sam's done it again...I'm a hop-head so I'm very partial to Dogfish Head's styles of beer.

A - Clear Amber with a nice white head - that with leave a nice Belgium lace on the sides of a clean glass.

S - Almost like walking thru a hop field. You do get the scent of the stong alcohol content in the beer.

T - Hoptastic, there's a party on your tongue and everyone is invited!!! Lingers for a while after you swallow.

M - Overwhelming hop flavor makes it difficult to get a sense of the malt. But this is a beer you can chew.

D - Comes in 4 packs which is more than enough - if you try and session this beer you'll be on your ass.

Great job Sam! Go Mules! Cheers!

beersalesman, Mar 11, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance - Clear amber brown body with minimal head by the time it arrived at my table.

Smell - Pineapple and piney hops.

Taste - Bring on the hops. Very sugary citrus is present here seemingly to open up the taste buds for the hops to sink in. The bitterness is surprisingly subdued initially.

Mouthfeel - Smooth fuller bodied DIPA. The carbonation is just enough to excite the mouth. The sugar coats your mouth.

Drinkability - Let this one warm before you taste. It really allows the beer to become better balanced. I can drink this one a lot more than it's big brother the 120.

stereosforgeeks, Mar 10, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Once upon a time this was my favorite East Coast Double IPA. However, the quality level of East Coast beers overall has clearly improved since last I lived here, and I can no longer say that.

I hadn't tried the 90 minute in a couple of years (you can find it out west, even on tap occasionally, but it's hardly plentiful), so wanted to try it again before reviewing it.

The beer is a very lovely light orange color, with good foam head and lacing in the glass. However, the beer did not come across to me as the hop monster I seem to recall. Granted, my taste in beers has probably undergone something of a transformation after a couple years in the NW, but still... this beer tasted considerably lighter then I remember.

That being said, this is a very nice beer, with a considerable hop presence. I get a good amount of citrus on the palate, mostly orange flavor I think. I don't know quite what it is, and I'll gladly concede this is probably just a matter of taste, but there's always something in the malt finish that I just don't quite like about this beer. For me it makes it difficult to drink very much (probably a good thing), and is something that I find becomes increasingly noticeable as I go along. Nevertheless, this is a very good beer, even if these days it's just not quite my cup of tea.

John_M, Mar 09, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -28.7%

finally got around to trying the illustrious 90 Minute IPA.

flimsy appearance -- pale orange with a meager head. looks thin. the smell surprised me. pine hops and wet burnt wood. interesting enough, but i wouldn't say that it's a pleasing smell. the taste just doesn't do it for me. i don't like the combination of the spicy malts with the pine hops and the sweetness of the beer. it's got a saison quality to it, in that it combines sweet fruitiness with spicy elements. there is the distinct flavor of pennies. the wet burnt wood aromas manifest in the taste, and just throw things out of whack. but then again, that's just my opinion, and looking at the reviews this beer gets, i'll just take my place in the minority and leave it at that.

schusterbauer, Mar 09, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

appearance: amber, apple juice looking. one finger of white foam.

smell: HOPS; pine, sugar

Taste: sharp explosive bitter hops. grapefruit, grapey sugars. grassy leafy flavor.

mouthfeel: tingling carbonation carries the message of Hop imperialism rather forcefully.

notes: definitely got what i expected out of a double IPA and then some. aggressive and bold. a real treat for hoplovers.

OutlawJoseyWales, Mar 08, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

A medium-slightly dark amber with a little haze and a thin head. The smell is so wonderfully hopped, I think I could get as much enjoyment out of just smelling this one as drinking it. The heavy hops are not just in nose, but carry nicely into the flavor. You can occasionally taste the alcohol, which I guess is to be expected at 9% ABV. The aftertaste still embaces the hops and lets the experience continue. A medium body and medium-light carbonation. I love Dogfish Head's IPA's and the 90 minute fits right in where it belongs.

2wheeledpirate, Mar 07, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

12 oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy golden amber in color. Fluffy off white head pours two fingers thick and retention is strong. Nice sticky lacing that crawls all over the sides of the glass.

S: Fresh floral hops. Citrus hops and pine sap. Grapefruit and bread.

T: Juicy wet citric and pine hops with a nice sharp bite. Clean cirtus fruit is followed by a nicely balanced rich malt wave. Nice clean bitter hop finish.

M: Syrupy and a slightly oily texture on the palate. Ample carbonation. Bitter and dry finish.

D: This is a very drinkable beer for the amount of alcohol that it presents. A very clean DIPA that is well balanced. Sit back and enjoy over time.

Tyrawlings, Mar 07, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -10%

Thanks again Cheers2Beers

90 Minute had a fair amount of hype going in and I would say it definitely held its own amongst comprable IPA's.

90 Starts off with a light golden color giving way to a small head that stayed around for a long time, great head on this beer.

Nose was of dry grain, adequate hops and lots of alcohol. I was surprised at how much alcohol I smelled in this brew especially after opening it fresh out of the fridge. After warming the alcohol became even more apparent.

Mouthfeel was huge. Malt dominated at first with a light and crisp grain, almost oak-ish in taste giving way to a cherry finish. Much more of a sweet malt presence than a dry one.

Hops kick in immediately with a great amount of bitterness, grapefruit flavor and peppery finish but it still manages to go down smoothly, a nice aspect of balance.

Overall, a bit too much alcohol presence on the nose for my taste but a great showing of the big malt and an equally big yet balanced hop finish.

120 next?

FlyFisher2782, Mar 06, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The famed dogfish head IPA, my first time trying it. Pours an amber golden brown color with a frothy cloudy head. smells great, hops, sugar, malt all engaged the nose. Tastes like no other IPA, VERY well balanced, the hops are present of course but so it a nice maltiness, not overly powerful like some IPA's. Tounge has a slight burn from the high ABV, but again not overly powerful. Overall an amazing beer, shame it is 11 bucks for a 4 pack.

1fastz28, Mar 06, 2007
2.5/5  rDev -41.6%

Oh my. What a dissappointment this was. Sixty minute is far better IMO than this. It poured a rose copper colour with a nice looking off-white head. The smell was pretty hoppy, as I had expected. The taste was very hoppy, but in a bad way. This reminded me of cologne almost; chemical-like. Very unpleasant, and I was certain I was going to like this. Mouthfeel is a bit thick for what this is. In fact, it almost feels oily.
I must say, this is the first thing from DFH that I have had that I didn't enjoy. Thanks to Ding for allowing me the chance to taste the 90min. Even though I didn't care for it, I always like the opportunity to try a new beer!

SilentSabre, Mar 06, 2007
3.6/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottled dated 02/06/2007.

Pours clear golden yellow with one finger of white foam and nice lace. Smells of pine hop, brown sugar & cinnamon, toasty biscuit malt. The flavor becomes quite sweet as the beer warms, developing chewy rounded citrus notes and plenty of earthy pine. Thick and syrupy body is well carbonated and appropriate for sipping.

dgallina, Mar 05, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

12oz bottle. Poured into a 22oz glass lead to a 2 inch+ head. Great orange color and fluffy fluffy white head. Floral hops came out to blow up all over this beer. The smell filled the room with a sweet hoppy smell. Taste is really sweet with a gentle bitterness that cleans the mouth after the awesome sweet bombardment. Freaking fantastic beer. I’m really pleased with it and I’m not a hop head, more of a malt monger and I think this brew finds a happy place that will please both sides of the equation.

Dubbercody, Mar 05, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a brownish, tangerine color with a minimal head that quickly becomes a nice lacing of tightly packed belgian style bubbles. Smells of hops and oranges. Not quite as bold on the nose as I anticipated. Taste is where this one gets its marks. Piney hops and a biting citrus flavor. Sour grapefruit and some orange. Good mouthfeel and very drinkable. As good a DIPA as the 60 min. is a good IPA. Dogfish head as good as always.

bluegrassbrew, Mar 05, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one great double IPA. I have never had a beer that simply explodes in your mouth. The mouth feel is outstanding. Sweet, and then you get slamed with the hops around the mouth. This beer simply gets better once you get further into the glass. Makes me truly appreciate the 120 minute, of which I gave a very pool rating because of my lack of understanding on how good the beer is.

ressletr, Mar 04, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +7%

20 oz bottle purchased @ Market of Choice, 29th & Willamette, Eugene, Oregon. Bottled 11/03/06

Pours a color somewhere between copper and mahogany. Not really any head to speak of, but that mat be more indicative of my pouring technique than anything else. Settles into a collar around the glass, w/o any noticeable lacing on the glass.

Smells slightly fruity. I kind of want to say apricots or plums or some other non citrus fruit, but i can't really put my nose on it.

Tastes much mellower than the 120 Min, very smooth and easy to drink. I think a bit of apricot taste is present, not alot of hop bitterness. A very well balanced beer. Yet again, another WELL DONE beer from DFH.

BigJTrucker, Mar 04, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from the 12 oz. brown glass bottle into my straight sided tumbler, the appearance is a bit darker than I have been accustomed to seeing of an IPA. An inch of medium white head recedes to a nice lace that travels down the glass with me. The aroma is of clove, figs and raisins. The taste is of initial clove and hop, followed by the raisin, caramel and clove. I like the citrusy finish. Mouthfeel is wonderful, just what an IPA of this strength should be. Drinkability is a little short, as a result of the ABV. Wonderful product, world class in my opinion.

Just a thought,

barleyman

barleyman, Mar 04, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a mug.

Standard pour produced a decent foamy head which did dissipate, but managed to leave a small amount of lacing in the glass. Wonderfully clean looking in the glass with active carbonation and a good dark amber color.

Strong piney hops aroma which was very enticing.

Great hops and grapefruit flavor. Strong, but not overwhelming. Wonderful finish.

Lots of carbonation, but not overpowering in the mouth.

I had been looking forward to trying this for quite some time and finally found it in my area and I'm so glad I did. I would gladly have more of this, though the price of a four pack was just a bit high.

Eirerate, Mar 03, 2007
4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

12 oz in OWG, slightly below room temp

This pours a sparkling clear copper hue, with a frothy white head which dissipates quickly but rings the glass with lace. The color is lustrous and glows like burnished brass.

Scent is a lovely hoppy grapefruit and pine which breaks free as soon the bottle is opened.

Grapefruit, sweetness, yeasty bread, peppery spice and resinous pine flavors. This beer is sticky sweet.

Thick, viscous almost syrupy mouthfeel (I'm licking my lips), definite boozy alcohol warming culminating in an astringent finish.

Bold and delicious; I really like this.

sethmeister, Mar 03, 2007