90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 13,995 | Reviews: 3,763
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

A - pours a very light copper/darker yellow color with a 1.5 finger head that is very porous. You can tell it is loaded with hops just by looking at it.

S - who would have thought an Imperial IPA would have smelt like a ton of hops? Very piney with a touch of citrus (grapefruit primarily). There is also a toasted malt present and a smell of burnt biscuits.

T - Starts off with some bitter, piney hops. The hops are balanced on the finish by some sweet caramel/toffee and toasted malts - this beer is extremely well-balanced. There is also a bit of pepper throughout the middle of the flavors. The final flavors I am left with is grapefruit, thanks to the hops, that is blended together with caramel malt. I gave this a 5 because I can't imagine a more well-balanced Imperial anything (and because it tastes really really good).

M - very smooth and full; goes down nicely. I also wouldn't have had any idea that this is 9% - the abv is very well masked.

D - Being that this is an Imperial IPA, I found this to be amazingly drinkable compared to others in this style. The malt balance might have helped this for me. This beer held my interest throughout, and I enjoyed it very much. I am glad I finally got my hands on some fresh ones - I have passed this beer up many times due to it sitting on shelves for a while. I can see why this is one the most-rated beers on this website.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

I have to admit, the moniker of Imperial IPA has scared me away from this beer since I first saw it at the local bevmo. Reason being that I've had regular IPAs that have totally killed my malt loving palate. Feeling adventurous I figured I'd give it a shot and, if nothing else, finish it after I had already had a few more beers (and would no longer be as concerned with things like taste).

Truthfully, I have been pleasantly surprised by this brew. It pours almost copper with a serious head that leaves rings of lacing till you hit the bottom of the glass. Plenty of malt and hop in the nose, but well balanced- I don't feel as if I am sniffing a bouquet of citrusy pine needles. The taste further highlights the perfect balance of strong hop and sweet malt. I thoroughly have enjoyed this beer, not only for the initial taste, but for the change of character over this last 45 minutes. As it has warmed, the malt profile has made itself more evident- much to my great pleasure.

I really lucked out finding two singles of this at World Market in their singles section- so it was like a buck sixty per bottle. Totally worth that- if not the regular price.

4.07/5  rDev -4.9%

Bronzish colour. Good 1.5 finger head turns to respectable layer.

Gorgeous american smell. Hugely rich caramel malts with a slight biscuity tinge. Heaps of resiny, piny american hops. Great stuff.

This is an old bottle, so with that considered - very malty taste for an IIPA. For me, it is probably too balanced. The hops dont win - they are balanced very well against the malt. That being said both are delicious, and most of the good reviewers have more accurately described what I am tasting. An exceptional beer.

Feels great in the mouth. I can't wait to try this fresh.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance - Pours a deep copper color. Looks dark and flavorful as IPAs and DIPAs go. Gives a decent amount of head with a standard pour.

Smell - Very Malty smell right off the bat. I pick up a bit of citrus too, but malt and barely are the strongest smells coming through.

Taste - Right away I get malt and it finishes nicely with citrus and hop flavor. Very malty for an IPA, but pulled off very well.

Mouthfeel - The beer is carbonated well, and has a good amount of thickness for an imperial IPA without going overboard.

Drinkability - Pretty heavy even for a Imperial IPA, but surprisingly still very drinkable. I could see myself going through a 4 pack quickly.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a dark copper color with a nice frothy two finger head which gives way to some decent lacing. The aroma is a sweet malt backbone with some nutiness aroma and some bread there is also a nice floral hop aroma. The taste has a very nice sweet malt backbone with hints of nuts and breads. There is a floral hop taste midway through which is a nice balance. It isn't a hop bomb like the 60 minute more smooth. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with very little carbonation. Overall this is a very solid beer, the alcohol is well hidden and you can have these back to back to back and still want more.

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

Cascades a deep amber/copper with a fingers worth of head. Generous lacing.

Sweet malt aroma that is very pleasant with a nice touch of floral hops and hints of caramel.

Taste mimicks the nose quite well beginning with a nice malt sweetness explosion upfront. This brew is lightly nutty, a bit bready, and is balanced perfectly by the hop bitterness that builds to punch and lingers well after the swallow. A nice alcohol warming sensation is also noticeable at the tail end of the swallow. Sweet and bitter without being to heavily slanted towards either side.

The mouthfeel is quite perfect for this brew. Its heavy on the palate, creamy, and mouth enveloping given its medium/high carbonation.

Each sip is packed with flavor and is delightful. However given its potency and palate fatiguing flavor I wouldn't consider having multiples in any one session.

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

12 Ounce brown bottle poured into a tulip glass

Appearance: Nice amber color with a nice off-white head

Smell: Fruity smell that is slightly citrusy. There is a hint of bitterness but also a hint of sweetness at the same time.

Taste: There is a very strong fruity bitterness that is followed by a slight berry sweetness and finishes off nicely with a bittneress not as stron as the initial one.

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a nice amber gold color with a thin off white head. Aroma is sweet maltiness with a good floral hop smell. Flavor is a perfect balance of malts to hops, finishes clean and refreshing. Alcohol is well hidden. This is the perfect example of what an IPA should be.

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

An old favorite serverd on tap at the B Spot. A bronze colored beer with very small residual head. Looks tasty enough!

Smells like perfumey, citrus (grapefruit) hops with some sweet caramel and bready malt.

Taste is an assault on the taste buds. The bitterness reigns supreme, but the best part of this beer is that the malt, while overshadowed, is still there and makes itself very known. A nice caramel base lets the hops run wild.

Nice body and aggressive, tickly carb.

Obviously this isn't a sessionable beer. It doesn't go down fast. But every sip is a reward and drinkability is one of its strong suits.

A great joy to indulge in.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

A- Pours a clear golden amber with 2 fingers of white head, decent lace left coating the glass when this one settles.

S- Citrusy/Tropical hops with lots of sweet malt. A touch of fruitiness in here as well.

T- Fruity/citrusy up front, bitterness in the end, and fairly sweet throughout. No trace of the 9% abv. This gets better as it warms for sure.

M- Medium body, medium carbonation. Not as oily as most DIPA's, but really creamy and smooth.

D- Not your typical DIPA, but nicely balanced like it's little sister the 60 minute IPA. I could drink these all night long, 9% abv be damned!

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Deep orange in color. Inch and a half of nice frothy head. Lacing on glass appeared all the way through.

S: malty, boozey, mild hops.

T: Very malty, spicey bitter hops. Hops are overwhelmed by the malt and sweetness. I think I expected a stronger hop presence.

M: Smooth creamy feel with a nice carbonated mouthfeel.

D: Overall a good beer that I probably unfairly had expectations for before the tasting. Would recommend. A different take on the DIPA.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

a- bottle poured into a rocks glass, one inch of head, crystal clear brown coloring.

s- caramelly malt, loads of spicy hops, some alcohol.

t- really solid malt backbone - more than i was expecting, very earthy hops, slight alcohol on the backend, nicely bittered, and floral sweetness rounds all the flavors out.

m- medium bodied and slick.

d- very drinkable, this is obviously a top notch dipa, and dogfish head really nailed this one, i shared a bottle with some non beer nerds and they really enjoyed it as well.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a shaker pint.

A- This beer has a nice orange-amber color. A hard pour made a firm 2 finger head, which settled down after a while to a thin solid mat. Foam clings to the wall of the glass like crazy.

S- Smells largely of pineapple, with some pine in the background. Also some malt. Not as sharp smelling as some DIPA's.

T- Pineapple, resin, pine, sweet malt, and honey. Sweeter than most DIPA's I have had. Definite flavor of butterscotch at the finish. No booziness at all, even for a 9% abv beer.

M- Very smooth and oily. Very little carbonation noted. Has the syrupy mouthfeel of a porter, but with a lot more hops.

D- I could drink a couple of these. Very easy drinking for a high abv beer. It doesn't tire the pallet like some big IPA's can do. Really an enjoyable beer.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a slightly hazed orange golden colour with some very smooth looking carbonation. Nice white head with lots of lacing.

A lovely smelling IPA with tons of citrusy hop notes, pine, brown sugar and peaches, and the alcohol comes through as it warms up.

Tastes malty sweet upfront, nutty, bready and sugary sweet balanced by nice bitter, citrusy hops. Not as hoppy as I was expecting, more malty.

A very good DIPA with a very smooth mouthfeel. Overall I felt this wasn't hoppy enough and maybe a bit too sweet, still excellent nonetheless and worth trying at least once!

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Draft pint served at the Yard House in Glendale.
Amber orange color with a short, tight white head. Good retention and sticky sheets of lacing. Piney and grapefruit smells. Taste has the same resin and citrus hop, with some more balacing malt flavor. Medium body with a great, smooth mouthfeel. Low but appropriate level of carbonation. Very drinkable for a high powered beer. This may be my new standard for the style. Big and bold, high but hidden alcohol, happy I found this one.

Note to Self: Ranked way down at #39 Top American Double / Imperial IPA when I tried it.

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Pours with two fingers of very light brown foam that settles slowly and leaves very nice lace. The body is a beautiful, dark copper color with excellent clarity. This is one of those very rare beers that really impresses with its looks.

S - A nice, green aroma of citrus and pine hops with some mint and basil notes. A good dose of backing malt as well with sugary aromas of toast and carmel.

T - Lots of dense malt up front, carmel, brown sugar, and toffee. The hops quickly kick in as well with lots of pine and sweet (perhaps red) grapefruit. More toast in the middle with increasing sweetness and the beginnings of the hop bitterness. Finishes with lots of juicy hop flavor and increasing candy sugar like sweetness. The bitterness is capable of balancing the substantial malt, but only just barely. Lingering sweet orange hop character blends nicely with the toasty malt in the aftertaste.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - This is a really classic DIPA and I realize as I drink this bottle that it has been far too long since I had one. The hop intensity is really substantial; bold enough to stand with such classics as Two Hearted, and quite reminiscent of that beer in particular. Despite the big hops, the malt manages to dominate the beer with huge, but never cloying, quantities of toast and brown sugar. The highlight of the beer is, appropriately enough, in the long, lingering aftertaste and takes the form of a sweet, orange-caramel hop note that coats the mouth but never become old or offensive. This is a really wonderful beer, and one that proves that east coast brewers can make 'em just as well as anyone in California.

4.19/5  rDev -2.1%

A - Deep amber color. Nice white head that has good rentention and nice lacing.

S - Strong hops with a sweet floral smell. Nice malty undertones. Great smell.

T - Much like the smell, would rate higher but the alcohol content gives this one a very sweet taste that I'm not fond of.

M - very full and clean.

D - pretty good but very sweet, finishes very clean though.

Very good beer but pretty sweet. I think the sweetness takes away from the flavor on this some and it could be better.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Huge thanks to MasterSki for the hook up. Little hop angels are singing your praises in the beer halls of Valhalla.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a wine glass.

A - Crystal clear amber. A vigorous pour results in minimal off white head that does leave a gorgeous lacing. The head recedes to leave a nice cap in its wake. Tiny bubbles float up form the bottom of the glass.

S - Wow, that's a lot of malt and hops! Caramel, honey, citrus and pine crash into my nose like a robber into a telephone pole on some SPIKE TV reality show. There's a lot of smells going on here, and lot of each smell. Maybe that's the point. Copious amounts of good things.

T - Here's where it all goes to shit...on opposite day! I'm almost at a loss for words this is so well balanced. All the flavours are huge, but none really takes the lead. The citrus and pine form the hops is all over my palate, but being tamed by a gorgeous bready, caramel and honey flavour. I love it! Bitterness creeps in on the back of the palate but it's tamed by a warmth from the alcohol and more sweetness from the malts. It finishes both bitter and sweet at once if that's possible. This is a beer built on contrasts, and it does it extremely well. As it warms all these contrasts become more noticeable. What a great thing.

M - Medium bodied with a nice slick feel to it. Just enough carbonation to prickle the tongue and wake up those taste buds.

D - Damn, this stuff is dangerous. I could down these so easily all night. The LCBO needs to get this ASAP. I'm not sure I can live without it.

Notes: Really, this is the kind of beer that will get wine drinkers (other than lambics and RIS's). It's complex, robust and smashes preconceptions about what beer is. We need more of these in Ontario and we need them soon.

Nice draft serving of an iconic DIPA, unfortunately a bit too cold to feel its full richness on this occasion.

Presentation: 10 oz draft serving at a Dogfish Head Ale House. Menu has a small and fair description of the brew. Shows Alc. by Vol. (9%) Served in a snifter.

A - Medium amber with a short foamy head touching the rim of the snifter, and leaving rich lacing and a solid top layer.

S - Hoppy nose, pine, resin and grapefruit and a ranging sweet malt insinuation. There is a conflicted sense of draft freshness with a surprising subdued nose.

T - Resin and citrus coating a fresh sweetness and bringing back the assertive but soft profile.

M - Medium body with an assertive presence. Great mouthfeel, and small and balanced carbonation.

D - Deceptively drinkable for such a brew. This serving on the snifter sends a strange message asking for a slow enjoyment but with too cold, and quaffable a profile.

Notes: Remains a personal classic and a great draft serving but this one today... In general I´m finding they have the brews too cold for my liking at the ale house this time. In fact I´m not even sure I enjoy the snifter for this brew, I´d probably prefer it on a nice tulip glass, or an oversized snifter if anything. Hmmm, makes me think the bottle was far superior in any case.

4.89/5  rDev +14.3%

The first time I've had this beer since I've started reviewing. I've had many dIPAs for the first time since the last time I've sipped this baby. How does it hold up?

Appearance: A lovely golden color, with a 1 finger puffy white head. Fair lacing.

Smell: Oh baby. The first thing to hit me is a delicious bready smell. That's followed by some tropical citrus hops with some floral notes in there. It's strong and mouth-watering. Outstanding.

Taste: This is absolutely a world-class beer. It starts with a kick of tropical fruit with a generous helping of honey. Then the terrific hops kick in. The hops are bitter citrus and pungent pine, with a bit of booze in the finish. Goodness gracious.

Mouthfeel: Lively and smooth as hell.

Drinkability/Overall: Drinkability? Let's put it this way: I wish that I had tastebuds all over my body so that I could bathe in this beer. I would drink this all day every day if it wasn't for, you know, the certain death that would shortly ensue. But would it be worth it? ...I'm not saying it would be, but I'm not saying it wouldn't be.

What was I talking about? Oh, yeah. This is one of my top couple of beers in the world.

4.59/5  rDev +7.2%

I was supposed to be reading up on trace metals analysis practices and getting ready to walk the beaches of Maine in a snowstorm. I was supposd to do that, but instead I found some small Irish bar in Bath, ME with 90 minute on tap. Byrnes I think was the name, and it is possibly the only Irish bar that didn't make me want to get all stabby.

The beer was cold, hoppy as hell, and strong. It fit the day and fit the week. Thanks to the DFH.

I would have been happier with less floral hops and more bitter. When its supposed to be 90 minutes of hops, I want to walk away looking like I sucked a grapefruit. The flavors balanced though, and I only fell once on the walk home.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

This beer is even better on draft than it is in a bottle. As easy as it is to get on the east coast it's one that I'll never shy away from. Great golden/brown color, good carbonation, excellent hop flavor and aroma...an all around perfect double ipa. I'm not a huge fan of the 120 but I love the 60 and 90 minute ipas.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%

poured into a Warstiener glass
Clear gold. Thick head. Good retention

Floral bouquet of lemony grass hops and hint of
liquorice balanced with a citrus Piney aroma

t. Bitter sweet grainy banana, oily hops

nicely disguised alcohol.
M dry finish

d. My last beer every time

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Beautiful amber-gold. Head is fairly thin and dissipates quickly.

S: The alcohol was a bit harsh in the bouquet at first, but after about 2 minutes it gave way to a luxurious notes of caramel, toffee and only a hint of hops; I must say I was surprised by the way the sweeter malt notes seemed to dominate the hops in the nose.

T: Woah. In a word, "balance." I was expecting a hop monster here on the order of a Bell's Hopslam or Boulder Mojo Risin', but not to be had. The hop bitterness is present but mild, and the malt is surprisingly prominent. Now on the fourth or fifth sip I'm still surprised the way the malt almost dominates the palate in this imperial IPA. Where are the hops you ask? Well, to answer that, at the risk of being uncouth, in the burps! Yes, when you burp, there are those wonderful floral hop notes.

M: Not the tongue-shredding hop monster I'd expected: the mouthfeel is smooth and fuller than most IPAs. Yeah, tasting it again, this one in a word would be smooth.

D: For an Imperial IPA? Damn. This goes down way to easy. Unless you've already set your sights under the table, the 9% might sneak up on you with this guy. The only thing that makes it slightly less drinkable is the fuller body than I'd expected probably due to the high malt content, but that's not a knock, just a note.

Verdict: I was certainly surprised by this one. As I said, I was expecting a hop monster, and found a beer that strikes an incredible balance-not only between hops and malt, but also accommodating the 9% with remarkable drinkability. Although this is a great beer, I'm reluctant to give full marks due to arguably a philosophical difference: I think Imperial IPAs should have a greater hop presence than this one does. I remember an editorial in BA Magazine not too long ago lamenting the fact that most extreme brewing was just hops hops hops and nothing else. This does, indeed, break the mold insofar as it has remarkable hop-malt balance and drinkability for an IIPA. Still, even with the balance it has, I want at least a shade or two more hops here. Nonetheless, bravo.

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

If you like Dogfish Head's 60 min IPA and are looking for a little more bite and flavor, you must check this beer out. Slightly stronger than the 60 min at 9% ABV, this beer has nice, colorful flavor, with a slightly less than smooth feel. If you like a good strong IPA, with fruitfulness and bite, this beer is for you.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery