90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros

A- WOW. Poured into a pint to reveal a stunning reddish-gold flavor. The head puffed up to perfectly cap the pint glass- this one is a real beauty.

S- Toasty, malty, crisp. I swear I picked up a brandy-like aroma and a touch of caramel.

T- Exceptional. Not sweet, but not bitter. A touch hoppy and a touch malty... The aftertaste is almost as good as the drinking experience!

M- Lightly carbonated with a slightly syrupy aftertaste. No alcohol burn, just a slight warm mouthfeel.

D- I could easily polish off a 4-pack of bottles, but with 9%ABV that might lead to a headache later on. This beer is beautiful, it is really a treat to have found it. Very enjoyable and highly recommended.

2.76/5  rDev -35.4%

Clear orange with a large white head. Some thin sticky lace and skim retention.

Smelled of pine and herbal hop at first but got progressively citrusy and alcoholic as it warmed. Smells heavy.

Like the smell it tasted of pine and herbal hops with fruity malt at first but then progressed to a citrus alcohol bomb. Not very bitter for a DIPA. Mouthfeel is oily and thick.

I was ready to be amazed by this beer and I'm so bummed I didn't like it. I found it light on hops (for a DIPA) and too heavy on alcohol.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

i reviewed this awhile back...but after making my first trip to the brewery and picking up a pretty FRESH 4-pack (bottled 4-3-09), i figured i'd revisit this as promised. lucky for us, the 60 was out and the 90 was on tap!

pours a deep apricot/medium amber with an off-white head that just clings. looks like spiderman has been casting away...not 'soapy' as i originally reported.

smell. what a blast of herbs, hops, citrus...i think those malts are just making the hoppy character of this more assertive and...balanced. sweet yeasty/breadiness comes up as a i twirl this around.

taste. don't let this warm up too much unless you think you need a counterbalance of sweetness. from what i remembered last time...there is so much nuclear power here, keep the cooling tower close by...don't let it linger. heck, it is stellar 'warm' but i think you'll get stuck in the lovely muck. keep sipping while the ice sheets recede...

mouthfeel. there is a sweet/heaviness that just drops and announces the true gravity of the situation. shifting back to taste, i think it's a muscatel sense of sweetness i am catching...similar to the nose in the Midas Touch...i knew there was something reminding me of something else...synaesthesia. DFH is about alchemy, inadvertent or not.

i'll have to compare this side by side to Nugget Nectar. not sure if the ABV muscle of 90 will win out...or the stealthier NN. not the same 'type' of beer, but they are comparable as examples of a certain perfection.

i admit, i was off before when i gave 90 minute a simple 'A'...it's certainly a milestone in brewing history.

now i hear Pliny's are good.... ;)

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Wow. I love this beer. This is the gold standard for IPA's in my opinion. Poured in a pint glass. Color is a nice copper tinged amber. Quickly disappearing head with great lacing. Smell hits hard with big, fruity hops and a rich, oily aroma. The taste starts like a good IPA - lots of tangy, bitter hops - but then it just escalates to a fruity, floral explosion of complex flavors. The finish leaves you with a sweetbread flavor gingerly sparring with slightly bitter fruity hops. Mouthfeel is a very pleasant medium body with subtle carbonation and little oiliness. Very, very smooth for a 9% ABV. Dangerously drinkable.

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Cloudy golden color could be caused by the decent amount of yeast in the bottle. Has a thin white head that doesn't last very long. (3.0)

S: Full, rich American hops and sweet barley. Forget drinking it, I could just smell it all night. (5.0)

T: Perfectly balanced, nothing sticks out as overwhelming. You're aware of the bitterness, but not as much of the hop flavor as I remember. Rather the malt flavor is slightly more pronounced. It's so balanced that you almost wish there was something at the forefront to make the taste more memorable. (4.5)

M: Unbelievably thick, it feels rich and thick in your mouth. The heft makes it feel like an ale of substance, and fits the beer well. (5.0)

D: As drinkable as any imperial IPA I've ever tasted. The balance makes it easy to forget what you're drinking and just enjoy sipping on the beer. Though the beer has heft, it's not heavy. The mouthfeel is, to me, the most outstanding quality in a fantastic beer. (5.0)

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Pale copper color with a nice fluffy off white head that recedes to a film but leaves nice lacing.

S: Hops. It smells like a nice big pile of oily hops. Citrusy and pungeant.

T: Citrusy and slightly piney. Huge hop presence.

M: Medium body and good carbonation. Oily hop feeling left in your mouth.

D: Not too bad. It will catch up with you eventually but until it does I'll keep drinking it.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

I haven't had this in a while but since we finaly got DFH in Vegas I got to revisit it. The color was a nice medium amber, nice off tan 2 finger head(poured into a St. Bernardus glass). nice lacing and carbonation. The aromas reminded me of what i liked about this one citrusy with some honey, a little bit floral and breadiness.

The flavor is out standing, I feel as though the balance of the malt and hops gives this an edge over many DIPA's. soo many times you get the one sided hop monster(which I also enjoy). A nice sweetness to start slightly malty then you get a nice bang of citrusy hops.

This beer is up on my tops for this style and I wil revisit it many times I am sure. It is definaltly in my top 3 for the style

4.4/5  rDev +3%

Like an old friend you forget about and then reunite with and wonder why you didn't stay in touch. A "go to" beer for me when nothing else excites me and I see it on tap. Had the chance to revisit a fresh pint of 90 min. at the Mad Mex in Cranberry Twp. , PA last week. A pint for $5 special was offered, how could I say no?

A-Deep copper with a medium off-white head that held strong and left decent lace.

S-Big citrus and pine hop aroma, followed strongly by a solid malt body that is not sickly sweet but more honey like.

T-The hops kick in with a BIG fat luscious whack of citrus and pine. This is followed by a slick, viscous honey malt backbone. An excellent blend of bitterness and sweetness.

M-Medium body and so smooth. The malty slickness is very nice. Long lasting hop bitterness.

D-A long time staple and solid go to DIPA. I can drink gallons of this stuff and never tire of it. I am always glad to come back and visit 90 minute when I know it is fresh!

Had this brought to me from California by a relative.

A- Cloudy reddish orange, Thick white head. Fair head retention.

S- Piny, bitter hoppy. Alcohol is present.

T- Pretty intense! The flavor is heavy on the tongue. Sharp and piny but not overly hoppy, good balance with the malts.

D- Slow. This is a pretty heavy IPA so take your time.

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

poured this into a big wine glass

appearance was a dark golden amber with a small head

smell was citrus and hops all over

taste was a lot of hops and slightly fruity with bitterness and a balance of malt

mouthfeel was carbonated and medium bodied

drinkability was enjoyable and could be a 2-3 session beer from the high alcohol content. really liked this one and was well worth the price for only a 4 pack

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

re-tried this after it came out to CA, a bit more sweet than I remembered. And after trying more and more IIPA and IPA this falls back into the middle of the pack. Still good but not a style I like.

"serving type" I note on-tap, though I've had this from bottle. You can take my review and notch it down 1 level for the bottle. This beer was head and shoulders better out of Keg. Rich aroma, rich mouthfeel, rich finish. Big hops but rounded and bold, slight bitter but balanced. Thats what made this beer great.

3.46/5  rDev -19%

A - Pours a nice amber with a 2 finger off-white head that dies down fairly quickly.

S - I was expecting more hop aroma from this one. I really like for DIPAs to punch you in the face with hop aroma. However, this one was pretty average, with a little bit of malty sweetness.

T - again, not quite as hoppy as I expected, but still dominated by piney, resinous hops. Very malty and sweet. I would describe this as tasting more like a barleywine than a DIPA. However, I was really caught off guard by how well the alcohol was covered up. Not hot at all; I would have guessed that this one was more around 6-7% alc.

M/D - Very sticky and sweet. Good mouthfeel with perfect carbonation. However, this one was too much like a barleywine to me. I was expecting something with more hop aroma/flavor and less sweetness. I wasn't crazy about it, but overall, this one is a solid beer that I will certainly buy again at some point.

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

A - Amber with a medium white head

S - Weak hop aromas

T - Hops on the forefront, interesting types. Rich malt flavor past the hops, zesty almost. Quite bitter on the aftertaste

M - Heavy carbonation and medium body

D - Somewhat drinkable, not my favorite IIPA. Borders on barleywine almost.

3.24/5  rDev -24.1%

12oz bottle that has 1/26/09 as the brewed on date into my snifter.

A- this one pours out a very nice looking copper colored body with a small white head that quickly fades to a mere skim. it leaves a solid wall of lacing on the sides of my glass.

S- the first thing i notice in the nose is faint piny/citrus hops. after that theres some sweet toffee malts. very weak for something this big.

T- sweet almost fruity malts followed by hops. the balance is nice. then comes a wave of alcohol. a little too obvious compared to other members of the DIPA family.

M- this and syrupy. lots of heat on the way down from all the booze.

D- this one just doenst do it for me. although it is one of the most balanced beers of this style. the alcohol is a little too in my face to consider drinking another one.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

A - 1 finger head diminishes to leave a nice small cap that remains, very nice amber gold color

S - Piney hops, citrus/graphefruit, sweet

T - Hops upfront but not overbearing, citrus and sweet malts combine with a slight bitterness towards the end that makes you want another sip

M - slight carbonation at first but smooth, slightly sticky

D - Moderate for the style, probably not the ipa you would be looking to session but that's not what it was intended for. Certainly a great brew that is easily enjoyed.

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Had this on-tap at Creekside Brewing Company in San Luis Obispo last night. I've heard that it's also available at Spike's. Both bars are reportedly having trouble with the kegs: beer keeps coming out as all head. Took the bartender about three minutes to get it from tap to glass. Anyway, here goes:

Served in a snifter.

Appearance: Clear caramel-colored body with no apparent carbonation. Head is tight, light khaki in color, and close to two fingers in height. Great retention and fantastic lacing.

Smell: Lots and lots of herbal hops! Weird, because I remember this one being all about the malt when I've had it before. Citrus, pine, and spicy alcohol come along for the ride. Very clean and hop-forward.

Taste: Bread, herbal hops, citrus, pine, and a good amount of alcohol. Less complexity and much, much, less malt than the bottled version. I don't like it as much. A very clean, light(er), tribute to the hop; similar to a Pliny the Elder-style DIPA. This one, however, is no Pliny. Not even that bitter. Still good, but vastly different than the bottled version.

Mouthfeel: Pretty flat and definitely thin for the style. Way thinner than the bottled 90 Minute. Warm and dry.

Drinkability: Really not a bad beer, but no where close to the bottled version. I think there may have been something wrong with the keg. Everyone there (all of them BAs) thought it tasted nothing like the bottled version. To dry and light in flavor for me to keep ordering. I could get it again, and I might, but it just wasn't that special.

EDIT (11-11-2009): I've had this several more times since (at Petra in San Luis Obispo), and it's been damn good. I bumped the previous ratings up a bit.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

I stand here sipping on a 90min IPA and i'm thinking on 120min IPA.

DFH definetly changed the way I see beer. I see "extreme" clearly and 90min is also a worthy example- though not *the DFH bomb*- but still a beautiful beer and a prelude to the 120.

pour is thin reddish with a poor opacity to it, but not fully translucid. looks kinda oily. head was lost at once, but the lacing lasts a million.

smell is pine-ish, sweet kind of maple syrupy in my opinion. hops all over the place, however, a considerable leafy scent is going on there.

taste has a beautiful balance between strong sweet and strong bitter. nice viscous feel at first rushing with the burnt malt feel followed straight after with a mix of bitter-alcohol. viscous body (like i said), well carbonated.

This beer is fantastic, much like the 120 min. i'm kicking my paradigms aside as we speak.

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a clear gold color, a light yellow copper held to the light with a slight white head with nice lacing.

The smell is of hops, sweet hops with some piney flavor.

The taste is subtle hops, not slamming into the taste buds but gently letting your mouth and tongue get used to the hoppyness. Again there is a hint of pine and some grains feel as well.

The mouth feel is the best I have had in an Imperial IPA. Just the right balance lets this beer let you enjoy this beer without biting to hard back. Not heavy on the pallet and is nice and smooth. Some the thickest lacing I have seem on an IPA, Nice!

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Served at cellar temp in a pint glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - Pours a perfectly clear rusty amber with a small yet well retained head. Very good lacing.

S - I actually smell some coffee on the nose, followed by the hardy aroma of floral hops and wet dog.

T - Unique, to say the least. A lot less bitter than I expected, with a lot of malt sweetness. I was bracing for a vicious tongue lashing, but I instead got a very balanced brew. Hops are piney and citrusy, and the malt is like dark candy sugar. Very tasty.

M - Slightly sticky with light carbonation and light weightiness.

D - The bitterness was surprisingly tempered, and the flavor is just excellent. The alcohol is well hidden as well. Definitely not a session brew, but very easy drinking.

overall - I'm stunned. I was expecting this beer to jump up and smack me across the mouth with a hop grenade, but instead it wafted up to me and vigorously caressed my taste buds like a good shiatsu massage. Oh god, I think I'm turning into a hop head.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

A- Clear copper/amber. Medium sized white head. Doesn't appear to have much carbonation.

S- Holy hops! Super strong aroma of freshly picked wet hops.

T- Fresh hops, bitter middle, and a slight malt finish. Sweet overall and a good boozy bite from the 9%. Absolutely excellent. Should be the standard when comparing other double IPAs.

M- Thin bodied. low carbonation. Leaves the palate well, no stickiness or dryness.

D- Boozy, bitter and hoppy. Not for everyone. I think the boozyness could be less.

3.8/5  rDev -11%

Pours amber. Nose is an earthy, sappy, hop resin, with hint of watermelon and bubble gum; I did not detect floral or citrusy notes. Flavor introduces a sweet maltiness. More malty than a typical DIPA with perhaps not enough emphasis on the hops. Perhaps the hops used don't hit the floral and citrusy notes I like. A nice beer but I like a bigger taste for the price and ABV.

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

DFH 90 minute. This is an excellent beer. Well balanced in all respects, it is a classic DIPA. The imperials trend more towards the malty side than do their regular IPA counterparts, and this is no exception. This beer has been sitting in my glass for almost a half an hour, and there's still a head. Amazing. The color is of worn and tarnished copper with near crystal clarity.

The smell is strong on the citric/pine side of things, but there are some definite honey/molasses notes in there too from the strong malt presence. A delicious smelling beer all around. Perhaps there is a touch of floral in there as well.

The flavor is strong, well balanced, and very pleasant. The malt character is slightly stronger than I prefer, but I would always consider it a privilege to drink a beer this tasty. The hops strengthen as the this brew warms in my cup, but behind them are maple syrup elements, and lots sugar cookie like sweetness. Far from cloying and offensive, they compose the setting for the hops that stand more to the center of this beer's stage, but only just. The hop qualities are piney with something that reminds me of the smell of white sage, citrusy, with pronounced, but well mannered bitterness. Extremely good tasting.

Medium to full bodied, this beer maintains it's carbonation almost supernaturally. The feel is creamy, and smooth.

Weighing in at 9% this is not a beer with which to trifle. However, I would like to drink myself silly on these.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a Tulip glass. Bottled on 11/17/08

A - A very nice, sexy copper color topped with a short-lived off-white dense head. Left some lacing. One of the best colors I've ever seen!

S - The bouquet of hops is incredible! So much going on here: Warming of alcohol, pine needle, nectarine and other fruit aromas, and a syrup-like sweetness.

T - Incredibly complex. Hoppy with a slight bitterness, fruits, malts, and pine. Awesome!

M - The 90 Min has a sharp crispness to it that I find to be very rewarding. Also, a medium bodied beer that's got a slight chewiness to it, probably in part to the syrupyness.

D - No where near the 120 level, but this guy's main problem in my eyes is that the 9% doesn't even try to hide. Its so up front and demanding it kind of takes away from all the other fantastic flavors going on. Low drinkability in my book.

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very stong IPA. It is very good and very expensive if you like paying 9.99 for a 4 pack then not a problem. That being said you are paying for a quality product with great taste and excellent drinakabilty for a berr wwith this ABV.

Appearance is clear with a redish hue.
Smell of citrus and hops taste is excellent. Taste is very strong of a IPA. Mouthfeel will burn but has really good an Drinkability is scary as a lot can be had before ABV is realized.

3.93/5  rDev -8%

Appearance: Poured with a nice light tan creamy head that dissipated over a few minutes leaving a little lacing at the top of my glass. The beer is a beautiful orange gold crystal clear color.

Smell: Bitter flower smell, caramel malt, piney bitter, slightly nutty, and some alcohol.

Taste: Sweet caramel malt, some citrus hops, a bit of a piney bitter, sweet nutty flavor, ending with some alcohol flavor and bitter pine.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated, medium bodied, bitter tingle, followed by a sweet coating in the mouth, leaving a small alcohol burn.

Overall: Pretty good drinkability. Some alcohol present, but that can be expected for 9% ABV. Much sweeter than most imperial IPAs in the flavor. Has an unfavorable after taste of extreme bitter and alcohol.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery