90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found this one @ Willow Park in Calgary...9%ABV and I've been in the hot sun all day....hmmmm

Looks awesome..clear burnt amber in color, great head and tons of lacing.

Sweet piney hop dominates. Some malt sweetness in the background..no hint of that 9% demon.

Thick, oily citrus/pine hop flide over the tongue like, well, a giant hop oil slick, coating everything in it's wake. Some roasted caramel malt tries vainly to make it's presence known. A boozy tastes does appear later on, almost making my head swim a bit. Slight twang in the aftertaste.

Certainly full bodied, although I found the initial amount of carbonation to be a bit much.

well done, nicely balanced, but definitely a one off beer given the ABV...going to let one sit in the dark recesses of my cellar for a while and try one this winter.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Yummy. Amber colored golden pour with a very nice frothy head. Deeper golden color than the 60 Minute. Smells a good balance of malt and hops, but for some reason, I get more malty nose than the hop. Having said that, you can still smell those hops, lots of hops. Taste great, complex, lots of different things going on in there. You can taste that high gravity fa sho... Mouthfeel is also complex, lots of hops flavors, citrus... tastie... drinkability gets an great, because you can sit and drink alone or share with a friend.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Fantastic beer. Pours a bold, dark golden yellow with a light cream head. Dry, citrusy aroma. Taste is slightly bitter, dry, with strong citrus accents, especially grapefruits and Meyer lemons. Finish is powerful but clean. As double IPA's go, Dogfish Head 90 Minute is near the top. Although I personally prefer Stoudt's double IPA, 90 Minute is an excellent double.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have this a lot of times on tap but this is the first time I've bothered taking notes. Pours a bright orange/gold color. Not too much head, but a thin lace that staid there pretty much the entire time I drank it. Smells of piney american hops. A bit of citrus. Tasting it I first notice the sharp carbonation/hop bitterness combo. The finish is "sticky" I guess. Sweet pale malt and piney hop oil taste. It's a little bready as well and there's some warming alcohol in there. It's disasterously drinkable on tap for some reason. I don't recommend sessioning it.

4.28/5  rDev 0%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass. The dark amber color bodes well for this ultra-hopped brew. The off white two finger head dissipated after a minute or two into a thin ring. Hops on the nose, spicy and enticing. Sweet port-wine like malty taste gives way to spicy, earthy hop bitterness. Its piney and citrusy at the same time. Hops give way to definite medicinal alcohol taste. After all, this brew is 9% ABV. I'd almost forgotten. It's well hidden by the massive amount of hops and malt.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

A friend of mine from NY brought me a four pack of this recently. Incredible brew. Poured coppery and clear straight out of the 12 oz bottle. Nice bubble head sat atop a delicious smelling beer. Aroma was hop-tastic, piney, with notes of citrus. Nice lacing of the glass as well. First sip was simply divine. A veritable hop explosion in my mouth. Robust, clean, hoppy beer. cannot believe that it is 9% ABV, because the hops and malt are balanced out so well. It had a crisp, clean, lip-smacking dryness to it. Delicious beer. Goes down smooth for something this robust. Can't wait to get home and have another.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

A- Very appealing; dominantly red, with a nice orange hue. A thin white head. Normally leaves a pretty good lacing, but not so much this session.

S- The malts and hops in this bad boy reach out, and pull you in by the nose. One of the best features of this beer.

Taste- The hops dance about on my tongue, with the malts in tow. Perfect balance of sweetness and bitterness. Almost orgasmic.

Mouthfeel- Very light carbonation. A slight tingling sensation as the bubbles brush past.

Drinkability- This is awesome. This beer is so fulfilling, complex, and a decent ABV at 9%. Considering all of this, I can still drink one after the other.

I LOVE this beer. This is a great go-to beer for me, and has been in my top 10 for a long time.

4.28/5  rDev 0%

Hazy bronze with a two-finger head and beautiful lacing. The smell is less than amazing, it's grapefruity, citrus, spicy but somehow metallic.

The taste, WOW. Juicy hop bomb with an amazing mouthfeel--not very carbonated but very creamy--lots of grapefruit, pine, some salt, lots of hop oils, earth, everything you can imagine. It's got that "raw" quality so characteristic of Dogfish Head--sometimes it screws them up, but not here.

The malts are pretty non-existent as far as I can tell, although there's a little malt and yeast in the finish, and therefore the taste and drinkability are directly correlated to your love of the raw hop. My love of the raw hop is strong, and it's because of beers like this one.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

A - Appealing reddish-gold color with white head. Nice, consistent lacing along the glass.

S - As soon as I took a whiff, I knew I was in for a treat. Full-bodied citrus aromas, particularly grapefruit. The smell was also not overbearing, and very refreshing.

T - Exceptional balance between malt flavors and the prodigious hop characters. Pleasing bread tones at first, with a terrific amount of lemon and grapefruit flavor then coming through. Finishes with a pleasing warmth from the alcohol, though I never would have guessed 9% abv. The balance in this beer is unbelievably good.

M - Perhaps the most surprising aspect of the beer. Carbonation was relatively mild, and the beer had a medium-bodied, almost creamy feel. Exceptionally smooth for such a hoppy beer.

D - Very drinkable, especially considering the high abv and flavor concentration.

This is probably the best IPA I've ever had the pleasure of consuming. Great aromas, unparalleled balance of tastes, and a good hop wallop make for some good drinking. I can't get enough of this beer.

3.63/5  rDev -15.2%

bottled on 4/17/2009
Nice copper color with a thin, but long lasting head.
Smell is biscuit malt with plenty of pine and some grapefruit. Really opens up after sitting and warming (I had to improve this rating after 5 minutes).
Bitter flavors are a little overpowering. Plenty of hops especially pine there but too much of a flat/heavy/dense ending. Flavors could blend better - sum of the parts is greater than the whole.
Great feel on this guy. Sticks to your mouth a bit with enough carbonation and astringency to seep into your taste buds.
Fairly drinkable, although the high abv is more noticeable than other top DIPAs.

I've had this beer enough times with the same result to safely say that even considering the style, it's a more of heavy-handed approach to this type of beer. A pretty good beer, but doesn't stand up well next to the best in this style.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a rich gold color with a thick white head settling to a film and leaving great lacing all down the glass.

S: A big whiff of those wonderful flowers. Fruit is next, then the bready malt.

T&M: What a kick! Big, big bitter oily hop flavor with a fruit/alcohol/bread malt sweetness. Hints of grapefruit and pear. Smooth, medium body and quite juicy.

A couple of these will do just fine! I like my beers with a flavor that will give me a little kick in the ass and this brew was happy to oblige.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a crystal clear vibrant copper color with a pillow of well bodied white head.
Smells pretty strong of sweat hop with a fantastic coated malt back up.
Taste is both complex and well blended. Hops flood the palate with a sweet malt on the rear end that really ties it all together.
Finish is tight, giving a great malty after-taste.
Drinks smooth as anything there is. Nothing overwhelming.

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

A - A nice amber body...a creamy tan head formed...settled into a ring and left great lacing

S - The hops are in the nose...sweet malts too

T - This is one sweet IPA...I really like mine to be more on the hoppy side...again the hops are there...nice pine and citrus flavors...equally represented are the sweet malts...mainly caramel...perfect balance

M - Medium bodied...creamy and smooth

D - As I said this is a great IIPA...but I prefer more hops...but on the other hand it is perfectly balanced...a solid brew from DFH

4.11/5  rDev -4%

A - Poured a beautiful dark copper color. With a 1 - 1.5 in head that was white and retained for a bit. Left lacing all along the glass.

S - It took a while to get anything but mostly flowery hop hint in the nose. Some malt but very slight. some fruitiness as well in the nose.

T - Creamy taste of flowery hops reminds me of 120 only less alcoholic and less sweet. A more toned down version (expected).
I like it better than 120 because the sweetness is balanced by a dry bitter finish. Initially there are some sweet tones, like caramel or honey that are balanced with the flowery bitterness of the hops. Very interesting beer, pleasant.

M - Oily and medium bodied well carbonated.

D - Pretty drinkable for and IPA in my book. The dryness isn't too intense at the end and is well balanced.

4.66/5  rDev +8.9%

Whoa, uh...this is close to perfection. This is the first DFH brew that I have EVER had, and holy smokes, no wonder it is so popular. We are now receiving shipments of DFH, pretty much just send them to my house and I will drink them up. Bottled 4/17/09

The color and appearance of these beauties is amazing. What a great bronze color. Just solid. Then there is the head, which for me poured a two and half finger head, but the lacing! The head went down to a finger, but it just sticks to absolutely everything. A solid covering of foam all over my glass.

The smell is good, but nothing outstanding. I really cant smell any overwhelming characteristic other than a sweet honey hops smell. The dry hopping is the greatest, isnt it?

The taste is AMAZING! The taste combined with the mouthfeel just shoots this brew to the top of my list. What an amazing experience. A great dry hoppiness that is followed by a malt earthly sweetness. Just amazing. The mouthfeel is great, smooth, but not before it dances incredibly all over my tongue. Overall a near perfect brew. Will buy many more.

J

This was a good beer. But I've had better bitters/ IPAs.

Poured into a tulip glass. Lovely amber brown color. Tight white head of around a finger or so, settled back almost immediately but leaves lace on glass as it goes down.

The first taste is hops, naturally. What part of the tongue is said to taste bitterness? The front did. The sides did. The back did. The middle did. Kinda fun, and definitely different.

But it is all hops and not much else. Oh, I tasted the malts, alright. They were almost like scotch in flavor. The 9% alcohol contributes to that. But they were overpowered by the hops.

I like hops and I like bitter. I guess that I like a better balance, though. Maybe the "60 minute" will do it for me.

4.15/5  rDev -3%

I had this at the General Sutter Inn in Lititz PA. Served at cask temp in a nonic

A - Very clear medium dark amber w/ weak pale head, no lacing and looks basically uncarbonated

S - Sweet malt aroma w/ high tart amarilllo sour citrus scent. The odor is moderately high of alcohol and he hops are not as pungent as expected but nice scent overall

M - I got the fruitiness and sweet malt in the feel w/ intense bite of bitterness and alcohol simultaneously w/ a residual sweet texture and juicy hop finish

T - Sweet - high amount of sweetness w/ the two row evident in the taste w/ a mild nutty toasted malt taste. The flavor is almost more like a barleywine until a citrusy amarillo and lemony hop flavor w/ sour oranges and mild sweet taste eases in. The malt is candy-like w/ tangerines and tangy notes w/ a boozy flavor that lasts into the finish

D - A drinkable Imperial IPA, especially on cask, but it seems stronger and more intense, not the same beer as in the bottle at all. I hope to have it on cask again to compare, but a great experience that seems to expose how malty the beer really is. Just a bit over the top for everday drinking or to be social. I would probably have ordered only a half pint next time - strength and acidity are too much for my taste this way.

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a SA perfect pint glass.

A: Bright golden-amber; sparkling body when held up to light; lots of tiny carbonation bubbles racing to a slightly rocky white head, about 1 finger thick. Head reduces to a ring on top of the body; lots of sticky, white lacing.

S: Pungent, citrusy hops hit the nose from the moment I pop the cap - huge, tart grapefruit, herbal notes, slightly minty, a tad bit of earthiness. Just faintly pick up on the malts in the background - just a light, sweet biscuit/baked bread note hiding behind the volume of hops.

T: Hops blast the palate with a uniquely grapefruit citrus flavor - a tart, rind-like edge with a lot of residual sweetness following the initial burst of bitterness. Hops also give off a faintly minty/herbal bite which quickly fades as the malts ascend. Sweeter than other IPAs I've tried - I attribute this to the greater balancing effect from the malts - with a smooth biscuit and honey flavor that plays nicely with the residual fruity sweetness. Alcohol comes in near the finish with a quick, spicy punch. Aftertaste comprised of some lingering hop bitterness which gives away to a milder, malty biscuit note. Delicious and very smooth; flavors meld nicely, creating a much more balanced profile.

M: Very crisp carbonation across the palate keeps the mouthfeel lively and refreshing. Carbonation plays well with the abundance of citrusy hops. Slightly slick feel on the swallow.

D: 9% ABV means one, two bottles max, but this IPA is surprisingly more drinkable than I expected. A lot of reviews suggest the 90min IPA is almost too sweet, but I think it helps with the drinkability by masking the heat from the alcohol (as well as rounding out the hop bitterness). Rest assured, the alcohol does peek through with greater presence near the end of the glass, as the beer reaches room temp.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a "hop head" or that big into IPAs in general, but this beer is quite good - I'd go so far to say it is my favorite example from a style I'm not really all that versed in. I liked the Stone Ruination for what it was, but I think 90min takes the nod here. The citrusy grapefruit notes (I quite enjoy grapefruit) balanced beautifully with a steady malt backbone to create a bold yet highly refreshing beer for a warm summer evening. I was really diggin' DFH's 60min , but the 90min is far and away superior, even if a 4 pack costs me the same as a 6 pack of the 60min... definitely worth the price.

I think this is a well-executed DIPA - one which nudges me back into the direction of giving other IPAs another chance to impress. This is the yardstick by which I will measure.

3.35/5  rDev -21.7%

The dogfish 90 min IIPA is a significant step up from the 60 min. The volume has definitely been turned up in the malt department and to a lesser extent the hops.

Appearance wise this beer is a bit better than average. A decent head that recedes quickly to a small blanket of foam. The colour is light honey brown There is some lacing but it's not remarkable.

Smells of sweet toasted malts and fruit can be found within. These are nice but not particularly outstanding either. The taste is similar with sweet malts up front, some fruit, but with a significant hop presence towards the end. And to be honest I think I was expecting more hops.

The beer itself is slightly thick and the carbonation gives it a prickly feeling in the mouth. Drinkability is average for the style.

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

12 oz bottle date 3/27/09. Poured into a 22 oz. DFH snifter. A beer i've had before but has probably been a year since my last one. Good beer but not the taste i like in this style, too much caramely-malty dominance that mask the hops. That said its a good offering from the DFH brewery.

3.52/5  rDev -17.8%

12 oz. into snifter/ Bottled on 2/27/09

P: Deep amber with a thick and creamy eggshell-colored head that features somewhat of a whipped consistency. Decent retention, but didn't leave as much lace as expected.

A: Smells like a lot of hops! Citrusy, piney, and some vague floral notes underneath. Not to be outdone, the toasty caramel malts make their presence known as well. I just hope it's not as malty on the palate...

T: ...damn it! As expected, this is one of those DIPA's that strives for balance instead of the full-throttle hop explosions that, admittedly, I am partial to. The citrus side of the hop bill tastes like grapefruit, orange peel, and pineapple while the piney side is more resinous. Those floral notes come through even less on the palate than they do in the aroma. That huge caramel malt presence bullies its way in to share the spotlight with the hops and provides more than enough sweetness to counter-balance the bitterness.

M: All those malts make for a body that's medium-full with more of a smooth & creamy feel rather than a sticky, dry one.

Notes: I can appreciate this beer for what it is, and can definitely see why some people love it so dearly. Having said that, this just isn't my cup of tea when it comes to DIPA's. Is it because I live on the West Coast and am biased towards huge hop bombs? Probably. But that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the fact that this is, obviously, a well-crafted beer. It's just too malty sweet to break into my upper eschalon of hoppy beers. If you like well-balanced, sweet DIPA's then this is your holy grail!

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours to a nice copper color with a very fine head. The smell was that of a caramel covered raisin. The taste is a wonderful blend of citrus , hop, and that faint caramel flavor that gives this a mild sweetness I find I want more of. It is a soft blend that just balances each other perfectly. As far as drinkability one thing is for sure it won't take 90 minutes to drink and hopefully it won't take that long to find more.

4.51/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from bottle into my Great Divide cervoise goblet.

A - Beautiful deep amber color with large white head.

S - Sweet, malty aroma with nice dose of hops lurking just around the corner waiting to pounce.

T - Big, bold flavor with a huge rush of malts and hops. This is a complex DIPA which will always have a spot in my cellar and/or fridge.

M - Definitely full bodied for a DIPA; an absolute pleasure to drink.

D - This is not a brew to be taken lightly, or pounded down with wreckless abandon. One or two at a time is plenty and should be enjoyed slowly!

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

poured from bottle into tulip glass

a- dark golden ruby, clear, great white head with thick, sticky lacing

s- mostly nutty, caramel, the smell almost reminded me of captin morgan spiced rum, sweet, syrupy. pine

t- this is what a double ipa should taste like! also sweet on the tongue, very very well rounded, a little nutty, caramel, spice, pine.

m- fairly thick, fairly heavy, slightly sticky feel.

d- sort of expensive, not an everyday beer, but i would buy it again

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Pours insanely thick, a gooey rush of deep dark gold. Head is insane and the lacing is amazing - it leaves wonderful patches down the glass just from the slight dissipation of the head. Bubbles don't know what to do to punch their way out through the body, but they make a valiant effort. Looks wonderful.

Big piney, almost solvent like pungency on the nose. Pepper, latex, resin, citrus rind and acetone all bubbling and gurgling together in some insane witches' brew of powerful aromas. Oh so grand for an IPA - hoppy up the hilt.

Oh, before you even get a dose of those lovely hops, that heavy belting richness makes its presence felt, with a slick, thick, chewy texture coating the mouth. Once it's there it releases its bomb - a phenomenally astringent hop bitterness cascading over the tongue. Apart from the thick body, there's almost no whisper of the malt backing, but that's ok. That's what this beer is all about.

It's a big hop-bomb this one, almost to the point of insanity. It teeters oh so close to the edge of being irredeemable, but stays gloriously on our side of the realm.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery