90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 13,967 | Reviews: 3,759
4.02/5  rDev -6.1%

Amber pour with a creamy off-white head. Lots of grapefruit in the aroma, with a balancing caramel. Flavour is all about hops. There's a lot of citrus, some pine, the citrus again and then some pine. The malts add a caramel flavour (and the mind imagines texture too), and the alcohol peeks out, not fully hidden. Sticky mouthfeel - lots of hop oils - and moderate carbonation. Drinkability is okay, but its not as balanced as I hoped, and although enjoyable I'd follow it up with something else.

I really don't feel this has the cleaness or finesse of the 60 minute - I'm swimming against the tide on this, but I think that bigger isn't always better.

Edit: Derek pulled out an aged version the other night that had 4 years on it. I'm shocked at how well this beer has held up. Bravo!

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep golden-honey orange with slightly off white thick creamy head. Smell is citrus hops and sweet malts along with taste. A pineapple-esque feel. The mouthfeel is creamy with a dlicious amount of carbonation. Very drinkable for a nine percent beer though the alcohol comes out more as the brew warms.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled date of 4/21/09.

Pours a clear orange with 1 finger head that hangs around until the beverage is nearly all. Also has a bunch of lacing all around the glass. Aroma is nice and hoppy, plenty of floral and citrus hop scent along with some sweetness in the nose. Taking a sip, you are welcomed by the hops but it is not overloaded in bitterness considering it is an Imperial IPA. There is also a nice amount of malty sweetness about the taste as well. Carbination is perfect, mouthfeel is medium. Alcohol is not fully present until the finish and even that is misleading to think that this is 9%. Well done.

I remember the first time I had an IPA from dogfish head and ever since that day, they keep growing on me.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

What can I say that hasn't been said so far, it's a great brew.

Extremely well balanced, the hops, ABV%, etc. Other than being more costly, there are no real drawbacks to this fine brew.

I haven't had any other Dogfish Head Craft Brews to compare but I can't imagine finding a better one.

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

A- Poured into a pint glass with a 1.5 finger head. A deep golden clear color. Laces well.

S - Good citrus and grapefruit nose. More floral in character than that of a pine tree. Sweet malt rounds it out.

T - Pretty good citrus character up front. Much like the smell it's more of a sweet beer then an over powering hop monster.

M - Medium full body. Slightly cloying. Light carbonation.

D - I would like to taste this fresh and on tap before I make my final judgment. But this DIPA isn't too impressive. But it seems like it's just not fresh enough.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Clear amber with a decent head that quickly faded. A citrus aroma with malty sweetness backing it up. As to the taste, the citrus was there in the form of orange. So was the sweet malt, but with a pine needle bitter cast at the end. Feel was medium bodied with a slightly oily feel. Drinkability was good, but it's a 9.0 ABV, so be careful.

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

poured a dull copper color, super hazy, with an off-white head. poor retention with ok lacing.

smells subdued but hoppy. more pine than citrus. a bitter astringency in the nose and some dull malt.

bitter citrus rind and a mild resin flavor in the forefront. a hint of pine with malt and sweetness in the aftertaste. really not too much going on.

crispy mouthfeel for an ipa. smooth on the palate. good carbonation level.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

12 oz bottle, goblet

Had this on tap at DFH in Rehoboth, but reviewing the bottle

Pours a rich amber & bronze color. Off white creamy head that dissipated but left a nice lacing and a constant lid.

Aroma is sweet and hoppy. Plenty of hop fragrance with a malty and fruity background.

Hop flavor immediately up front, but slides into a nicely balanced malt taste. Citrusy as well as other fruits noticeable, possibly apple. There is an aftertone of some spice as well.

Nice and smooth, not too viscous or thick. Despite the ABV, this is rather drinkable and forgiving on the palate. I had this years ago, but I think I like it much more now.

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured a brown/amber color. Smell of hops and a toasty malt. Taste is hoppy at first and then a nice toasty almost caramel malt finish. Good head retention and decent lacing. Mouthful is not that harsh but a decent thick body. This beer is off the charts on drinkability and I would have never guessed it to be at 9%. Its wise to sip this beer but could easily be drank by the pint. Another awesome DFH brew!

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

12 ounce bottle into a Stone tulip (don't tell either of them!)

Pours a nice goldeny amber, copper color with a perfect one inch layer of head. Lots of lacing, seems like it sticks to the glass.

Plenty of hop and malt smells and flavors. This one is, for an imperial, balanced in its extremeness - lots of hops but lots of malt sweetness to back it up. In the bottle, the sweetness stuck with my palate and made the beer much less bitter and much less of a hop bomb than most of the imperial IPAs I've had. This highlights one thing I really appreciate about DFH, that their beers are usually unique. While there is a big hop profile - a sort of piney, puckering oiliness, it's contained by the malt backbone nicely. Despite the oiliness of the hops, the finish was pretty dry and even bready at times.

I'm curious to see the difference in bottle vs draft. My bottle is pretty fresh with a brewed on date in the middle of June.

Drinkability is pretty good although I'm feeling the alcohol right now. It makes its presence felt in the finish with a warming effect, but doesn't override any flavors like some inferior high ABVs I've tried. I would easily go back for two or three more of these if I had them, and afterwords I think I'd be feeling pretty happy.

Overall, another great beer in a collection of great beers from Dogfish.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%

Bought this at the Beer Yard in Wayne, PA and must regard it as one of the best IPAs I've ever had. Poured a translucent burnt honey. Smells of strong hops. Tastes of powerful hops. Mouthfeel delightfully syrupy. Drinkability still relatively high. This has usurped my favorite IPA: Prussia's Pride IPA from Rock Bottom.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

poured into duvel tulip glass. nice two finger head that dissapates into a nice thin head surface that creeps laciness down the sides. a lovely copper-gold color.

has a slightly boozy malty smell.

i was surprised with the maltiness. for the style it seems a bit malt-heavy. almost barleywine territory. the hops make their appearance on the back end.

this is only the second dfh beer that i have tried. had to drive to nc to get it. overall a good beer. definitely surprised by the sweetness.

the high abv is making this one a sipper.

I visited the Yardhouse in Brea this past weekend and learned that they had just added this one to the line-up as a regular offering.

The first swallow was traditional IPA hoppiness. After a coupld seconds, it mellowed out and offered up light fruits and malt.

Good balance of the bitterness of the hops and the fruit and sweetness of the malt.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours an orange gold color with a white foamy head which leaves a beautiful sticky lace. The smell is grapefruit peelings and floral hops. Some malt sweetness is also present in the aroma. The flavor is the same as the aroma, but it is much sweeter than I would have expected.Medium bodied, nicely carbonated, and the alcohol is well disguised. The drinkability is quite good. I will pick this up again when I go to Hudson. I wish Dogfish Head sold their beers in Minnesota.

2.76/5  rDev -35.5%

Got this at Hudson's, a new joint in Seattle. Poured into a 12 oz. glass a deep mahogany orange color with a decent off-white head.

The initial smell is biscuity sweetness with citrusy hops.

I hated the first sips of this beer. I was expecting a clean, dry bitter hoppiness. All I got was malt with alcohol, like rubbing alcohol.

This was smooth with just the right amount of carbonation. It didn't seem heavy at all, which is what I expected with the sweetness.

I will not have this again.

1.9/5  rDev -55.6%

Pours a crystal clear amber colour with a very slightly off-white head. Disappears quickly, leaves some lacing.

Smells of sticky, fruity malts, and hops - but not as strong as expected.

Taste is wrong. Reminds me of rubbing alcohol - pungent alcohol, phenolic solvents. Almost belgian levels of malt-fruitiness. Melted plastic. Hot on the back of the throat - fuesels. A drain pour; yech!

Other than the foul taste, the body was decent, but the nasty flavours killed any drinkability.

This is a well-regarded beer, so I can only assume I got a bad bottle.

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A- Pours a ruby, juicy color. Very nice, substantive off-white head that holds on nicely and provides some solid lacing as well.

S- Nice! Citrus and Pine/Floral aromas are great. The grapefruity citrus is a little more prominent than the the floral pine, but man am I thirsty! This aroma is why I love the DIPA so much!!! So inviting.

T-Taste mirrors the aromas. A wonderfully refreshing blast of citrus (led by grapefruit) and hops but it certainly has a sweet malt balance, much more obvious than any other DIPA. Dry finish, as anticipated with a barely noticeable warmth in the back. Leaves me puckering and salivating like a DIPA but it doesn't have the palate-obliterating quality that most would have. A touch sweet overal but very tasty!

M- Medium body with a pleasant carbonation. This beer has the right balance of resin and hop-oils that pushes a lovely flavor onto the palate.

D- Certainly the most drinkable DIPA to date. A great example of a hoppy gem that doesn't seem to have to flex it's muscles to do so.

If there is such a thing, I would suggest this as the gateway DIPA. It has a lot of the beautiful characteristics classic to the style without the intimidation (that Stone Brew Co. brags about).

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%

I was very excited to get to try this beer. Pours a nice orange color with an off white foamy head. Laced all the way down the glass. When I compare it to the 60 min IPA this one wins in every category. The smell of hops is better, color is richer. Im normally a fan of the Stone IPA but this one gets right in the top few favorite IPAs. I'll be coming back for more of this one.

4.64/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured into a freshly washed Sam Adams "Bubble" glass.

Bronze in color, clear with a half inch head and some "legs' in the lacing.

The smell is complex; dark ripened fruit, citrus and piney earth-tones.

Taste is complex as well; sharp hop bite, sweet cara-malts. It has a slight grainy quality accompanied with an apricot and raisin aftertaste.

Very delicious! Easy to drink for a heavier IPA.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

my non-technical review of this is simply: i love this beer. i could drink this daily although not in the quantities I would like to or else I would likely not have a job. This was my first intro into Dogfish Head and has kept me coming back to try every variety I can get my hands on.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Very sizable creamy white head tops off a clear orange body. Nice amount of lacing. Sweet malt on the nose backed by a very prominent floral hop arrangement. The taste starts with sweet caramel malt, but dominated by well-blended bitter and floral hop combinations. Spicy alcohol is present, but not overbearing. Medium bodied, wet mouth. Pretty solid IPA for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

This is a delicious IPA, one of my favorites. Poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Deep amber color. It pours with a fizzy head of about an inch which takes a few minutes to recede. Lacing remains on the glass throughout.

Smell: A little bit of toasted barley scent, faint hop aroma.

Taste: Delicious. Balanced hops and malt, with a sweetness on the finish mixed in with the bitterness. For an IPA, it's not assertively hoppy to my taste.

Mouthfeel: The bitterness lingers a bit, in a nice way. I say it's good.

Drinkability: I could have several. The high percentage is masked by its smoothness.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

After reading so many great reviews of this beer, i bought a bottle with high hopes. I wasn't let down by any means, but it's not as good as hopslam. Then again I could be biased because I live in Michigan.
This tasted bitter, but not too bitter, and also nice and malty. I would have liked more hops flavor but that's just a preference. Cant' taste the alcohol at all even though it's 9% ABV. Overall good, I would recommend it.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

Served in a pint glass

This IPA is wonderful through and through. The beer is poured with about an inch of head, good head retention, and slightly cloudy yellow. The nose feel is not overpowering, with a nice hop citrus smell. The hop taste is not overwhelming, and the bitterness does not linger on the tongue. The beer starts and finishes smooth, and has excellent drinkability.

3.98/5  rDev -7%

12 oz bottle to Duvel tulip.

A: Burnt orange cooper color. Off white head goes away quickly. Leaves some spotty lacing.

S: Strong pine, get some citrus. Toasted barley. Some caramel hidden in there.

T: Strong hop and slight malty sweetness. Get some orange and mild foral notes. Overall fairly bitter and not quite as balanced as the 60 min, but very tasty.

M: Medium to full bodied. A hoppy finish - fairly bitter.

D: Very drinkable for a 9.0% ABV beer. Without food more than one would be a bit heavy.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery