90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +14%

This is probably one of the finest IPA's you'll ever put in your mouth. Robust, smooth, citrusy with the fully anticpated explosion of hops. A rich maltiness as well. Clean. Rich. Greatness. Dogfish is known for it's exceptional devotion to quality and taste and this brew fits their commitment to a T. The only disapointment I had with this beer is that it comes in a four-pack. As good as it is....they should market this fine product in an eight pack.

spaceranger, Feb 16, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Some people are just personalities, they can't help it, and Dogfish Head founder and president Sam Calagione is a rock star. Good looks, great marketing, and cutting edge unique beers have skyrocketed Calagione to the top of the celebrity food chain in brewing circles. Dogfish has a reputation for extreme beer. High alcohol, strange taste blends, and experimental techniques that make each of their new releases objects of desire.
90 minute IPA is one of Dogfish's year round beers, and what a beer it is. A deep golden amber pour, with a bright white head and loads and loads of citrusy and floral hops. In fact that's how the beer earned its timely moniker. Most beer is brewed with two or three hop additions; one at the beginning of the boil for bitterness, and a few more additions later on in the cooking process for flavor and aroma. 90 minute uses a Dogfish pioneered technique of adding small amouts of hops continuously through the entire 90 minute boil time. This unorthodox invention reduces the face-puckering bite some IPA's have, but adds an enormous hop presence. Dogfish uses this technique on all of their "minute" beers 60, 90, and 120, and with all the beers as the time increases so do the hops, alcohol and price tags. Just like people, some beers can't help but be personalities, and 90 minute is a rock star.

manleyphoto, Feb 14, 2008
4.28/5  rDev 0%

12 oz bottle poured into a HopDevil pint glass (is that wrong?)

Pours a beautiful golden orange. Crystal clear with mild carbonation. Big two finger, creamy, bone white head. Cool sticky lacing and very good retention.

I could smell the hops from this bad boy the second I popped the top and poured it into the glass. Big heavy grapefruit, pineapple, pine, and spruce nose with grassy, hay-like undertones. This beer is already a winner.

Whoa man, what a smooth flavor to this beer. Really has a rich caramel malt flavor with a piney hop oil/resiny finish. Almost completely backwards from the smell. There is a lingering alcohol warmth that is hidden well up front, but really kicks in on the back end.

Big, chewy mouthfeel, full bodied, slick coating of malts and hops left on the tongue.

I would say that for an iipa, drinkability is pretty good.

This iipa belongs in the upper echelon. A hop lovers delight. If you can't handle hops, move along, nothing to see here.

ColForbinBC, Feb 14, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Whew. This one'll mule kick you in the teeth if you're not careful! But what a great Imperial IPA. A year ago I was barely touching IPAs, and I have Dogfish Head to thank for giving me that final boot into a great relationship with hops.

Appearance: Bright orange, slightly hazy hue under a great white head that laced like no other beer I've seen.

Smell: Within a second of cracking the top off the bottle, the hops bouquet was hitting my olfactory canal. It ransacked it when I leaned in after pouring. Hops abound, with strong citrus notes and a pretty strong alcohol presence.

Taste: Wonderful combination of moderate sweetness and BITTER floral hops, and it opens up to reveal a sweet, buttery malt that's just awesome. It's really a fun little roller coaster ride for the taste buds. The alcohol fumes in the mouth and it all goes down warm.

Mouthfeel: The hops bitterness dominates, but the sweet citrus and malt still manage to make me salivate. The alcohol fumes all over the place in there, but it's not too harsh if you've gotten used to American pales.

Drinkability: I won't lie, this ain't for the uninitiated. This is a strong, bitter beer that is going for extremity with hops. But it's delicious! I've not yet laid my hands on the 120 Minute IPA, but Lord help me when I do.

AleDrinkToThat, Feb 13, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

With over 1300 reviews already, what more can one add. The beer is a nice deep orangish amber with a nice full body and rather syrupy pour. There is a bit of a head and it surprisingly hangs around. I was expecting more of your typical barleywine experience and have the head dissipate entirely. Not so here. The smell is excellent, beautiful hoppy esters, pine, grassyness, and some sweet malts in the background. The taste is also very nice. There is a very nice balanced hoppy bite balanced by some peach type sweet malts, some florals, and just a candied sugar base. I knocked this down a little bit on the mouthfeel because there is a bit of a throaty aftertaste and some lingering bitterness that may be a bit much. Overall, this is an excellent double IPA well worth seeking out. L'Chaim.

albern, Feb 09, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: This is beautiful. Crystal clear. Crystal malt red. Thin little head that lasts down the glass pretty well.

Smell: Hops. Piney citrus dirty peachy juicy hops. Awesome beautiful mega hops.

Taste: Big hops up front. Nice hops finish. But there's a kind of overbearing sticky sweet fullness in the middle. It is really overly coating and perhaps even flabby in the middle. Fortunately, the hops quickly come back to whack-a-mole that back into its little hole and leave you with a pleasurable hops impression.

Mouthfeel: I find this to be really thick. The middle feeling is just dominant throughout the experience. My tongue is numb, I guess from hops and alcohol. Fortunately the finish is led by hops and alcohol in a nice way. But it's hard to get past that big fat middle.

Drinkability: My expectation was to not like this. My memory was that it was a lot more syrupy and thick throughout, and there weren't any hops anywhere to be found. That was less than a year ago, so it's probably more me than the beer that's changed. While I still found an unpleasant fullness in the middle, my overall impression is H-O-P-S. The yucky middle fades, too, as the glass drains. It still isn't my favorite IIPA, but I can dig it now.

ksbrainard, Feb 09, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful beer. Extremely harsh hop aromas. It made my eyes water; I have never had anything this hoppy before. There are also some toasted malts, cherry and apple in the background somewhere. The appearence consists of ungodly lacing from the head; absolutely amazing. Color is a clear fizzy copper. The head is a creamy off-white with good retention. The flavor is quite complex with a nice fruity bitter finish. There is an echo of a stronger type of alcohol in their, but I cannot place it. I REALLY want to try the 120 quite badly after this one. Great brew.

BMan1113VR, Feb 07, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +11%

I classify myself as a Hop snob, it is the American IPA I am most familiar with. I am not that big of a fan of most Dog Fish Head beers, however, their IPA's are some of the best. I enjoy the 60 minute, yet I find myself wanting more. I enjoy the 120 minute, but only in small doses. The 90 minute strikes a perfect balance between these two extremes and is certainly one of the best and most drinkable American IPA's available.

HopHead1982, Feb 07, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

I absolutely love this beer. This beer brought me to a new level of appreciation for a good beer. Since first consumption I have joined this website and started to seek out new and different beers. Thank you Dogfish Head.
What I realized was that I really enjoy a good beer, and that there has to be comparable beers across all fronts. I may be biased in my review because this is currently my favorite beer, but I really, really enjoy it.

I have had the 90min IPA from a bottle and from a chablis at Taco Mac. The color is always a geogeous brown amber, and the smell of rich hops. It has been described to me as Sweetwater on Steroids, which is a pretty accurate description.

This beer will put you on your ass. I love it, it really makes me savor each and every sip. I love this beer.

Quasmo, Feb 07, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -3%

Poured from 12oz. bottle to pint glass at home.

Brilliant clear amber coloring, good-sized head about a finger thick, loads of retention that hangs aroung for the entire duration of enjoyment. Fair amount of lace along the sides of the glass. Smell is all hops, citrus and pine, with the alcohol emerging as well. The taste is a huge hop smack in the face - the epitome of the grapefruit hop flavor. After the bitterness subsides a bit, a sweet candy malt flavor comes through, some vanilla as well. The finish is very dry with a big alcohol warmth. Full-bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Drinkable, but the beer comes off so big (as is the intention) you are not racing back for another immediately.

A very good big IPA.

IgnatiusReilly, Feb 07, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

A - Pours a clear dark amber. Head is not overly thick, but very creamy and long lasting.

S - Sweet and very piney/woody smell. Definitely some juicy grapefruit under there and honey. There's some wow factor just opening the bottle.

T - Very sweet and malty, hops are strong but somewhat mellow as well. Unsurprisingly this is very bitter, but is balanced enough to not be overwhelming. Hops and big and juicy, but well rounded, and the alcohol takes a while to really sink in. Flavour is well beyond grapefruit - maybe grapefruit pith, with the sweetness and maltiness bringing it back to something reasonable. Very nice. Not to be [too] crass, but afterwards I was burping up pinecones.

M - Smooth with a moderate carbonation and medium bodied. Slick and oily might be descriptors. Not heavy but very substantial

D - Surprisingly drinkable for a beast of a hop bomb. Doesn't even feel like a "sipper" - gotta be careful with this one. Overall a very good beer, but certainly not a lot of subtlety here. A little rough around the edges for my taste, although I'm sure that's part of the appeal as well. Good malt/hops balance.

allergictomacros, Feb 05, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz bottle poured into my Duvel tulip. This beer was bottled two months back!

A: Spectacular deep reddish-amber with a dense pale head. Steady carbonation

S: Pine hops up front with hints of grapefruit and a classic floral hop character. Caramel malt backbone with an alcohol finish. Quite superb

T: A blast of hops up front with strong pine character. The hops then give way to caramel backbone that is ridiculously well balanced with the rest of the beer.

M: Slightly viscous but very smooth and creamy

D: Very good - i can see myself nursing a couple over the course of the evening.

DefenCorps, Feb 05, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - A light brown slightly amber in color, leaves a consistant lasting lacing.

S - smell was just like the taste, full and in your face, very hoppy and piney smell.

T - you taste a little of everything in there, the extreme hop bitterness and the sweetness from the malts.

M - it is slightly heavy on the tounge but its not overkill.

D - On a cold day you could drink more but it is slightly warm right now and there is a limit to how much of 90 minute ipa i can drink on days like this.

I cant even imagine what the 120 minute IPA is like.

baseballrock, Feb 04, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Poured a dark orange almost to amber..very little white head that fell quickly and left little lacing on the glass.

S - Huge pine and citrus smell..you can also smell the biscuit like malt presence in there

T - For it being a DIPA I was expecting more bitterness and not as much sweetness as I found there...the sweetness is a perfect balance to the hops that gave a nice citrus bite to the brew

M - Very balanced by the carbonation and spot on

D - For being a high ABV beverage it's drinkability is still pretty high to me this goes down very smooth and it's not boozy at all..good

meechum, Feb 03, 2008

From the bottle to the seidle it pours the color of whiskey with a thin tan head that does not last long. It barely leaves any lacing on the glass.

Smells of grapefruit, dried flowers and semi fresh hops with a little malts through in for good measure.

Taste is citrus and hops but it is a little unrefined. The malts are sweet and way in the background. This is a tasty beverage but could use a something else. More age, more malts, whatever. I enjoy it but I feel it is over rated from what others have described to me.

I would like to try one of these with the Randall the enamel animal. The infusion of fresh hops might be what this beer needs to push it into the great category.

jbphoto88, Feb 03, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

90-Minute pours two fingers of thick off-white froth atop a dark golden body, with loads of dense lacing on the Yankees pint glass--very good. The smell, naturally, is loaded with hops, some pepper, and a little fruit. I love the hops and the powerful aroma they emit, but I wouldn't mind a little diversity in the nose. With all the hops, this seems impossible; still, good. The taste is heavily bittered but nonetheless very complex. Lots of bold hop taste blends (better than the nose) with pepper, ginger, and fruit. The bitterness is a little heavy for even me, resulting in a good, though not exceptional, score. I also find that the high ABV (9%) catches up soon enough, combining with the bitterness to make this good on the drinkability scale.

Well worth trying. It's quite a good DIPA, but be prepared for lots of hop bitterness. There's no avoiding it.

Gehrig, Feb 01, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Great beer that I've been dying to try. Obtained in trade from Georgiabeer and love him for it!!

A: Golden and clear with a light, constant head.
S: Stong hoppy aroma.
T: Smooth caramel with hoppy bitter on the tip of my tongue.
M: Coats slightly and smooths down my throat. The aftertaste was apparent, but welcome.

DFH 90min IPA left me wanting more!! Deliscious in all aspects.

d0ggnate, Feb 01, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Got to taste this from a freind, good freind huh? This is my very first experience with DFH. I look forward to many more after this!

A- Clear golden orange. 1/2" pure white head, that defiantely shrank down to just barely protecting the nectar beneath.

S- Clean hoppy pine with tangerines. A light, sweet caramel.

T- Starts off with crisp, clean, unadulterated, pure as the driven snow hops. Followed by citrusy hops, followed by long-lasting bitter (but not too bitter) hops with almost a sense of creaminess (oddly).

M- Declares itself from beginning to end with clean crisp hoppiness. Like a hop mouthwash.

D- Would love to have like a bajillion more of these to drink (over a long period of time).

Whoo-mama...like I said before, this was my first foray into DFH, and man am I looking forward to a long relationship together. This is the sheet!

m1ked, Feb 01, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a penny copper, with a short creamy head which quickly recedes leaving a consistent lacing throughout the drinking experience. Very appealing visually.

S: Citrus, pine, grapefruit, sweet malty aroma. All in great abundance; this beer could be an acceptable cologne for me. It's nice having a beer that smells as good as it tastes.

T: An instant splash of citrus, followed by the aromatic spiciness of pine which continues into the flawless sweet malty, and hoppy finish.

M: Perfectly carbonated, slightly oily, and surprisingly smooth for such a high alcoholic content. This could be dangerous!

D: One of the most drinkable IPA's I've ever had, even considering the alcohol content and strong flavoring. Getting into a stupor is worth it in this pleasurable drinking experience.

And being from northing Delaware, I should really take the trip down to Milton, DE as I've heard it's a great place with a warm shoreside atmosphere...and full of crazy in-house experiments to indulge upon.

Phormula, Feb 01, 2008

Pours a brilliant amber with medium lasting beige head in a snifter. Smell is strong sweet and fruity hops. Flavor is sweet, yet highly hopped and well bittered. Fruity and piney hops in the taste with some hints of alcohol showing but not detracting much. Much sweeter and less hopped than I remember my 1st time having this beer, but then again, that was one of my first experiences with a double IPA and it was quite a shock to my senses. A touch warming in the chest. Now I find this quite drinkable and nice, whereas before it was tasty but too hoppy. A bit syrupy body. Nice double IPA for sure.

JDV, Jan 31, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -7%

A: Very light reddish hue with an almost non-existent head.

S: Superb! A very aromatic but intense (pejoratively bitter). The hops aroma conquers any others that may have been part of the malt, but smacks of flowers.

T: Very bitter -- as a double IPA should be. Afterward, your palate will be salvageable only through a swish of mouthwash or something like gin. Floral aromas come through very well in the taste, the after effects of which are lingering.

MF: Stings the back of the throat but moves across the tongue and "visits" each taste center equally.

D: Not something you drink in sessions, can be a little much -- even if you are used to the assault of a strong IPA; or one as thickly hopped.

marinermc, Jan 29, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

pours out a clear deep auburn hue with bronze highlights. a small head appears and sticks around to leave some slight lacing. a bit delicate in the nose...toasted malt aromas with a grapefruit and pineapple hop smackdown, surrounded by a pine forest woodsy aroma. it's a hearty beer with a strong biscuit and toast malty backbone accentuated by a surprising tame and balanced tropical themed hop load. the high ABV shows itself with a nice shot of alcohol spice, warming in the belly with lots of juicy fruit goodness and an even keeled bitterness. this makes it a wonderfully tasty and sane double IPA. the body of this brew is full and rich without being cloying or annoying, with the mouthfeel coming off as smooth, silky, and satisfying. finishes dry...an almost perfect feel. drinkability is outrageous. very dangerous.

for a 9% ABV imperial pale ale, it's an incredibly tasty, balanced, and drinkable double IPA. leaning heavily to the english style, it's the best of both worlds in terms of high ABV, and balance of malt and hops.

budgood1, Jan 26, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a nice light cloudy yellow amber with a great white head, lacing is as good as it gets.
Aromas are perfect malty, but the hops are the star grapefruit, citrus with a touch of pine.
Taste, nice malty sweetness, but the citrus hops are juicy, almost like a candy.
mouthfeel is great, perfectly carbonated and just a nice feel as it goes down, I have changed my opinion that DFH is overrated, this may be the best DIPA I have ever had.

mnstorm99, Jan 24, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

On tap at the Swedes Inn, our walking-distance bar, part of their recent rotating micro-brew effort.
Pretty amber-gold in a pint glass. 3/4 inch tannish head.
Nice noseful of hops.
Flowery. Grapefruit rind bitterness. The strange cat-piss aroma/flavor that i like in beers.
Full, not-quite-chewy feel on the tongue. Less than oily.
I could drink a lot of these but i'd pay for it.

cobalt60, Jan 24, 2008

a-clear amber with 1" white/cream head
a-clean piney hops aroma
t-hopsy bright sunshine flowing from God through the brew into my soul.
M- light good carbonation
aftertaste of hops. Very drinkable however since I'm a long way away from the source it was overpriced.

chileman13, Jan 24, 2008