90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

I see this beer got a lot of hype so I bought a single of it. I thought it was a good beer overall, but nothing too spectacular. I've had a handful of better tasting/more balanced DIPA's in my opinion but maybe its just me. Tastes very complex and isn't as hoppy as some other DIPA's out there which makes it a bit tougher in the drinkability department. Overall though it's much better than average, but I don't know about being an excellent beer.

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Bottle purchased at CBS.

This is one of my favorite IPAs. Amber and transparent. Smells and tastes of piney hops and sweet maltiness. Very well balanced flavors. It's funny, because this is more balanced than many hoppier pale ales I've had. Mouthfeel is thick and sticky. A very rich beer. Can't drink too much as a result, but with the taste so nicely balanced, I'm tempted to go overboard anyway. Fantastic brew, and glad we now get it in California.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured a crystal copper color with no head and a little lacing.

Exploding hop aroma, smells like I am in the Rockies.

Smooth hop flavor, has a slight booziness to it. Nice bitter bite on the aftertaste.

Medium body with medium carbonation. Mild bitter tingle on aftertaste.

Quality IPA, possibly one of the better ones I have had. Would like to try out the others but only picked up a couple while passing through Madison. Has kind of low session ability due to high ABV, one or two max.

Had on tap at Mentor Winking Lizard 10/2/08. Smells as good as it looks. First sip is sweet and then quite hoppy. Delicious. At 9% it's surprising how easy it is to drink this beer. Not just sip, but drink. Ok, 3 pints is the limit, but I would like to drink this all day. I just can't.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, I will say, having tried the 60 and the 120 and most of DFH, this is by far my favorite brew from them and the best of the minute IPAs, easily.

A: The pink and almost peachy colors on the wrapper will deceive you. You king of almost expect it to look like that. Golden, amber and beautiful are the words to describe this brew.

S: Incredible. Hops, fruit and malt. You can tell it will be sweet, chewy and very pleasing. Very basic yet seems intricate.

T: Nothing short of an explosion. Bounces all over and warms on the way down. Not too bitter, not too sweet, not extremely hoppy, as you would expect and no overbearing malt. Fruity esters mixed with a floral smell that fills the room.

M: Bouncy, great carbonation, a bit unexpected but suits it perfectly. Almost as if it was meant for your mouth.

D: Surprisingly great! Had 3 no problem, aside from how easily it sneaks up on you. It can be a sipper, or be cranked. Probably due to how good it is.

Overall: Nothing short of EXCELLENT. GRAB A PACK!

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

A: Reddish amber color with a slightly thin head that forms. Sticky lacing clings to the glass.

S: Dry hopping is readily apparent with the heavy scent of piney and citrusy hops.

T: Big hop bite up front, smooth malty backbone on the finish.

M: Mouthfeel is medium- chewy with smooth carbonation.

D: Extremely drinkable double IPA with incredible hop aroma and flavor. One of my new favorites!

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

A - One finger of solid white head... Slightest of carbonation rises through this translucent and refractive pale bronze colored brew... Solid lacing forms with each sip...

S - Slightly muted piney hops and citrus... Spice and herb characteristics are present... Very faint scents of caramel and flour...

T - Wow... Stellar for an Imperial IPA... Muted grapefruit and piney hops are first and foremost on the palette as expected, but the hops aren't overdone as in most brews of this style... A slight smokiness permeates... Faint hints of caramel and pepper were detected...

M - Thick and oily... Sturdy... This brew has a solid backbone with biting carbonation on the tongue... Taste and mouthfeel distribute themselves evenly, better than most brews... Slight, but not obnoxious aftertaste as is common with the style... This last note can't be highlighted enough and is greatly appreciate by this BA...

D - Exquisite Imperial IPA... A non-hop heads Imperial IPA... Complex with tons of character... Not a session brew by any means, but one worth stocking on a regular basis... A brew more than worthy if its lofty reputation...

Bottle - Standard DFH bottle with simple explanation of what one is about to experience...

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

I picked a case at a local distributor in PA.
I'm not a fan of anything Imperial nor am I a hophead.

With that being said, this beer is a pleasure.

It's smooth, sweet, and hoppy. I can't stand the burn of higher alcohol beers, but there's no burn to this beer.

Great brew.

Dogfish Head is such a fine brewery, I never met a Dogfish I didn't like!!! I was not an IPA fan, but this 2007 bottleof 90 IPA is supurb!!! The hops aren't overwhelming and most tolerable. I would drink this beauty anywhere and anytime!! Just not your typical IPA.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into St Bernardus snifter.

A: Rich ruby amber with very little head. Very little carbonation apparent, nice looking brew.

S: Mmm.. this is what I would expect Imperial IPA to smell like. Nice piney hoppy nose. Very very nice.

T & M: This is one fine brew. Dogfish Head never ceases to amaze. Despite this being an Imperial IPA this is actually quite nicely balanced. This hops surprisingly do not overwhelm. I love Dogfish Head as the hops that they use give this wonderful piney notes which I don't get from any other brewery.

D: Despite high ABV, remarkably drinkable. Well done DFH!

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured into a Dogfish snifter

A: Poured with almost no head. Thin foam lingers in the middle throughout the tasting. Sticky lacing. Color is a gradient of orange and milk chocolate throughout the snifter

S: Aromatic blend of hops and a dark roast coffee

T: Starts with light hops and coffee, ends with dark chocolate and hint of orange. The taste is incredibly balanced by the bulky malts, and thus not a big hop wallop. Very smooth for a 9% ABV, as in addition there's little taste of alcohol

M: On the lighter side, but creamy

D: This is by far my favorite beer, and I could drink it every day. With the high ABV, certainly not a session beer - two bottles is perfect, though one is really all you need. It's a beer I find hard to put down as it's smoothness really is incredible. But there is plenty of taste to enjoy between sips, so you can certainly extend its life.

I've heard knocks against Dogfish for not being hoppy enough and being too coffee; and also inconsistent in taste. I can't disagree completely, because it's not a beast of a beer, and certainly is not your typical DIPA. That said, every time I open a bottle I am completely satisfied with the taste and complexity - and never feel that it is inconsistent. Dogfish brands itself as "off-centered" and lives up to it.

2.33/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

On tap at Winking Lizard in Mentor, Ohio about 45 minutes ago. Poured into a pint glass.

A Minimal one inch head with tree bark brown body, plenty of light visiible through it.

S This is hop city! Really, though, I simply smell bitter hops.

T Overpoweringly bitter. Tastes like I am chewing on hop plant itself. It is too much imo.

M Full, harsh.

D Not good. I can certainly only have one of these. It is just too bitter.

Notes: I had bought a "4-pack" of these about a month ago and (of course) tasted it but had not recorded my thoughts at that time. Saw it tonight on tap and decided to rate it properly. I suppose hopheads would love this but I do not. If you like hops, no need to look further than this beer for satisfaction.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Reddish burnt orange. Pours a massive head, with sticky lacing the entire way down

S: Hoppy pine trees, caramel malt.

T: Hop oils, with a big malty backbone. Spicy herbal quality. Bitterness lingers but is never overwhelming.

S: Smooth and creamy.

D: I could drink this everyday. Obviously high up there in alcohol, but goes down smooth

As good as a DIPA gets. Amazing brew.

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

A - Poured into a snifter. Orangeish amber in color. Minimal head-just a thin, white circle around the perimeter of the beer's surface. 65% clear.

S - Oh, my. Delicious. Getting hints of chocolate & fruit. Lots of sweetness. Some alcohol. Some oranges/citrus. There's much more here...it's quite complex.

T - Nicely sweet, nicely bitter. Well balanced especially for an Imperial IPA! It has that wonderfully subtle coppery coffee DogFish Head flavor that all their hop-dominated beers have. Can't believe this beer is 9% abv--it's smoooth.

M - Probably the worst attribute for this beer, but it's still great. More thin than thick but not by much.

D - Would probably only have one at a time, but it's all you need. Still a very easy drinking beer.

Classic beer.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz received in trade a while back from Mhewes... proper trader and a pretty good brew... poured into my shaped SA glass.

big 2 finger head.. nice lacing and cap.. pretty lite amber/gold brew.

aroma is piney and caramel.. bready malts.. doesn't smell as "ripe" as I remember.. but still pretty stellar.

Flavor is much bigger and better than the nose.. big bitterness out of the gate melts into a little bit coarse hop flavors but the thick malts tend to hide it.. pine and pineapple... quite a bit of grassy hops in the mix with caramel and toasted biscuity flavored malts.. fairly sweet.. but not cloying... great mouthfeel for a DIPA.. and the drinkability is also pretty high.. I wish I had another tonight.

4.5/3.5/4/4.5/4.5

4.15/5  rDev -3%

I've had the 60 Minute, 120 Minute, and Burton Baton, but I have yet to try the most reviewed beer of them all here on BA. Bottled on date located on the neck of the bottle...I think I'm ready to test the waters. On to the beer:

The head is thick and lush on top this orange/copper colored beer. Very good retention and solid lacing. The nose is full of tropical flavors, somewhat resiny. I can't find any malt at this time through the nose, but my mouth might detect some...there's a trail end of carmelized bread, but otherwise this is an all hop zone. It isn't in your face, which I like about this, but the overall flavor doesn't explode in your mouth, which I miss of beers this style. The alcohol is masked in this juice. Easy does it with the hops, plenty of tropical flavor to go around and surprisings notes of maple and figs. Easy does it is the feel and drinkability of this beer.

Is it the best DIPA around? Probably not. It is one of the more sessionable ones, such as it is? I think it is.

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Poured a nice darker golden color from a 12 oz bottle. There is a good lacing that sticks to the sides of the glass.

The smell is extremely floral and also a bit of citrus. I cannot get roses out of my mind. It is overwhelming and nice.

The taste is sweet and hoppy. Grassy and bitter and sweet all at the same time. I really like this one, as there are a lot of flavors that you really have to be patient and think about to get. I would love to have more than one of these, get more flavors into my head.

Very clean mouthfeel with a slight sourness as time wears on. This is a drinkable beer to me that is slightly too hoppy to have many of. Not to mention the high abv. I'll be looking forward to getting a 4 or 6 pack and really detecting all the scents and flavors.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz brown bottle.

I was very pleasantly suprised by this beer!

I am not a "hop head", and when a bottle of 90 Minute was given to me by a friend, I knew it was a highly coveted beer, but I wasn't so sure I'd enjoy it.

A: I poured it into a goblet-shaped wine glass and was immediately impressed by the deep golden, almost coppery color. It looked very inviting.

S: Then I smelled it and it wasn't just a bunch of bitter hops coming through. I could smell the fruitiness and pine. Inviting.

T&M: Still expecting a mouthful of straight bitterness, the combination of flavors that came through were quite pleasing. The creamy mouth feel added to the sensory experience. Much to my enjoyment, this DIPA wasn't ripping my tongue out with a bitter hops explosion!

D: This beer is a sipper nonetheless. At 9% ABV, just relax and savor this beer for what it is. Lawnmowers and 90 Minute IPA need not co-mingle.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

I've tried the 60 minute version and was pleased, but this thing rocked my world!

A: Nice amber color, delicate lacing and a nice head.

S: This is one of the best smelling beers i've ever had! Fragrant with notes of grapefruit and other citrus.

T: Phenomenal! I've had a few IPA's in my day, and usually found them to be to bitter. But this was a smooth as a baby's bottom! Considering it's high alcohol content, I really didn't find it to be a detractor in it's overall flavor.

MF: Very nice.

D: I will definitely buy more of this!

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer pours a deep amber color with a nice off white head that sticks around for a while and leaves nice lacing on the glass. The taste is really hoppy and smells sweet. This beer has medium body and nice carbonation. I would not have more than two of these because of the high abv. One of my favorite IPAs and exellent when fresh.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

This is my first review, so here it goes.
Bout a 4 pack of 12 oz bottle from whole foods. Poured into pint glass. I know they say a snifter, but i dont have one yet.
Nice color, a little more cloudy than most DIPA. I would of like a little more head at the top, i poured an aggressive pour and still no head. Smell was nice, lots of floral hops. Not to keen on all the tastes but very hoppy and the bitterness level is right were i like it.
Very nice DIPA.

4.58/5  rDev +7%

This is my first review so it will be far from perfect. I poured this into a snifter and it had a beautiful copper color with a slight head. It smelled of grapfruit, but it didn't have as strong of a hop smell as I expected. The taste blew me away. It was no where near as hoppy as I expected, as it was amazingly balanced. I could slightly feal the warmth of the alcohol as it went down. Overall I thought this beer was amazing. It was perfectly balanced and rather easy to drink making this a very deceptive and dangerous beer since it is 9% abv. I only purchased a single from Total Wine so I can't wait to drink this again.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Got this one in wisconsin and I must say I wish it was available in minnesota!

The color is almost hazelnut I would say, though somewhat amber, with a dissipating thin creamy white head. Little carbonation it seems and quite clear, not at all cloudy. A lot of citrus in this one, delicious grapefruit tones come in wave after wave. Orange and clove perhaps? A tad bit spicy even. A moderately high level of hop scent comes through. Extremely smooth and very little alcohol noticed at all. A kind of malty sweetness to this ipa, which is unusual though quite pleasant. A great body, firm and chewy in the mouth and not at all quick to leave. The finish is long and quite light. Really a solid imperial ipa that I will definitely look out for whenever I'm out of state.

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured into Duvel glass. Normally I get some nice looking beer out of this glass but not with this one. Clear, and golden-orange in color the head was pretty small and minimal retention and lacing...a little suprised by that. The smell is nice, pretty much 100% hops, very fresh ones too. Although, maybe its being a West Coaster, its a new hop smell to me. Not familiar but very nice smelling. Taste is good as well. Of course you taste the hops but it was a little more balanced that I expected. Hoppy with some sweet malt, and a bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel was pleasant and on the light side. The higher ABV was very, very well hidden. Overall a good beer, easily drinkable and I could see this getting some people into real trouble.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Another trip to Beverage World in GA to get this DFH.

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Clear medium copper with a sticky off white head that webs the sides all the way down.

S - Maltier smell than expected up front with a clean hop bitterness. Flowers with pine..

T - Wow. Great DIPA. Strong floral hops and bitterness but balanced with malt enough to make it clean. I need more!

M - Medium body and clean and nice carbonation.

D - Very high for a 9% brew!

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery