90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Oh oh, this pours and looks like the 120 IPA, which was sensational…
... the 90 Minute Imperial IPA color is a dark, rich mauve-gold. The nose is a familiar and pleasingly fruity (grapefruit?) one. The first taste is simply more of the nose/aroma, but on steroids, yet surprisingly smooth - This is smooth and delicious. There is a hint of hops in the end. This hint just verifies and validates the IPA signature from Dogfish Head.

Now if I can only score some Raison D'Extra :)

jimbomill, Nov 12, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Amber/copper body with almost no head. Smells hoppy and caramel-malty. Hops and alcohol stand out in the flavor, though there is a strong caramel malt presence. Medium in body. Very tasty and surprisingly drinkable considering the abv and ibus. If there's a better IPA than the 60 minute, this is it (I know this one's imperial, but still.)

MrHurmateeowish, Nov 11, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Picked this up on a recent trip to WI, 12 oz bottle, bottled on 7/21/06, poured into a pint glass

A—clear honey amber with a 1 inch sand colored head, fades down slowly and produces spotty lacing

S—lots of perfumy and floral tones, some grapefruit, a touch of malty sweetness, alcohol is hidden well

T—very well balanced in the taste, floral and citrus dominate, but then give way to some sugary sweetness, very good, indeed, and the alcohol is still very well hidden

M—very smooth, medium bodied, good carbonation

D—excellent, I would have this again and again, the alcohol does sneak up on you toward the end so watch out.

hanco005, Nov 10, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

This beer pours a golden yellow color with an off white head. The head has a slight yellow tint to it. It fades very slowly, leaving a massive lacing.

This beer has a strong grassy aroma. It has a nice citrus hop aroma as well. Some orange and grapefruit are present. It is balanced with a nice mild malt aroma.

This beer tastes quite grassy. Some fruity citrus hop flavor is present. It also has a slight piney flavor. A slight malt flavor is present, but it dominated by hops.

This beer is very well balanced. It goes down smooth, leaving a grassy aftertaste.

This beer might make a decent session beer. It is a little high in alcohol, so beware.

Overall: I got this at O'Brien's. It is the only place on the west coast to get DogFish head stuff right now. It is great. I would buy it all the time, if I could.

OStrungT, Nov 09, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

An orange/copper colored beer with a slight haze. Has a nice creamy off white head with a little bit of lace. The aroma is very hoppy to meet you. Sorry I just couldn't resist. Big piney hop notes up front in the aroma. With a light sweet toffee candy malt note in the background. The alcohol prescence hits twice. First at the begining of the taste. Which is quickly followed by a light sweet malt note down the middle of your tongue. Then the hops roar thru the back of your tongue and throat. Followed by the second alcohol note on the finish.

ybnorml, Nov 08, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

I put the first 11oz of this brew, bottled almost 9 months ago, into an oversized wine glass. It poured a clear copper color with a nice, frothy head and good retention. The aroma consisted of a floral, hoppy smell with a hint of banana, maybe, but nothing real significant that stood out to me. The first taste was great - a rich, caramel taste that morphed into a pleasantly bitter finish, with enough punch but no where close to being overpowering. I really didn't notice the 9% alcohol while drinking it (although I did a little later). It was very well-balanced, had a good aftertaste, and overall was very delicious. In addition, is was smooth and creamy and perfectly carbonated, and went down surprisingly easy. This was simply a great drinking experience - a fine, fine brew.

MDekker, Nov 08, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz longneck into snifter.

A: Amber with a cream-colored head that leaves residue all over the sides of my glass.

S: Piney/citrusy hops, some sweetness/toastiness from the malt. Aroma becomes more balanced as it reaches cellar temperature.

T/M: I've died and gone to heaven. Strong bready, toasty, almost biscuity malt backbone, with most of the hop flavor coming through in the finish. There are some piney hop notes up front, but the finish is all citrusy and bitter hops. Some lingering sweetness from the malt, but little lingering bitterness. As far as body and mouthfeel go, it coats the palate and goes down pretty smooth. There's a vague warming sensation in my chest after I swallow the beer.

D: I love this beer...but one usually puts me to sleep. I think it's the hops.

MurphyMacManus, Nov 07, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

This is my second bottle of 90 minute. The first one followed an evening of trying several different DIPAs and by the time I got to it, my palette was too ruined to make an honest critique.
Many thanks to both Lando and Aprilluvsbeer for giving me sample bottles to try.
Pours a pretty golden yellow with a very impressive white head that slowly melts to a thick coating of sticky white lacing.
Aroma is a very clean fresh citrus hops....oranges and grapefuits without much bitterness. Just clean and bright.
Hmmm...yummy.
Taste is sweet pale malts and then really bright assaultive citrus peel hops. Sweetness gives way to orange then grapefruit then bitter grapefruit peel.
Mouthfeel is creamy and aftertaste is clean with a drying hop bitterness and nice alcohol warmth going down.
Hmmmm...yummy.

IntriqKen, Nov 06, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

One of the first Double IPAs, I've ever had, it stills seems to be the dictionary definition of what one is. There are better, there's tons worse - but this since this was my starting point and characterizes the style well - I often use this for the jump off. The hops in this are huge. West Coast huge. The flavor, though, is less pine and citrus than those out here. It far more raisin and candied fruit. I like this more than the 60 because I like the bigness and how well it's balanced. Please come back to California.

sloejams, Nov 03, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

S - Bottled on 1-10-06, much thanks to beerbeing for this sweet brew.

A - Burnt orange pour. head is a fine mesh of off white bubbles that reduces itself to a thin layer on top of the beer. very appealing

S - Floral, biscuity, spicy, fruity, what the hell is going on. sweet maltiness also grazes my nostrils, hints of cereal and honey, orange as well.

T - Pineapple, orange, sweet maltiness, grainy notes that may be oat, bitter finish that isnt overwhelming but really just perfect. One of those brews where there is no doubt in your mind its perfect in taste.

M - Creamy, well carbonated, clean, almost velvety as well. wow

D - I would happily drink a 4 pack with no hesitation.

rsyberg01, Nov 03, 2006
4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Balance, balance, balance. That's what this brew is all about. 90 minute IPA is the first bitter beer that I fell in love with and I haven't had it for a while. Today, I picked one up again. Wow.

The smell and taste on this one are unsurpassed. Super tasty, it's got the hop flavor covered completely. The alcohol is high, at 9% but you would never know it unless someone felt like telling you. Smell is fresh and herbal. Like a fresh herb that you have just cut.

This is, to be cliche, the king of DIPAs. If you want to make a friend, buy me a 4-pack.

swhitt, Oct 29, 2006
4.28/5  rDev 0%

A: Poured a 12 oz bottle into a Piraat tulip glass. The result -- hazy, orangey-copper with a half-finger white head that disappeared pretty quickly. No evident bubbles, and only limited lacing.

S: Caramel-sweet malt and citrusy and florally hops. The hops aren't as aggressive in the nose as I'd expected (though this is all somewhat subjective, as I gave my wife the glass for a taste and upon smelling it she said "this is going to be too hoppy for me"). I also noticed the alcohol, more so as it warmed.

T: Caramel sweet, butterscotch-like oily start is quickly assaulted by the florally and citrusy hops. Spicy, peppery alcohol undertones become slightly more pronounced as it warms. It finishes with a dry hoppiness that puckers the tongue and leaves a pretty strong aftertaste.

M: Full-bodied but pretty creamy. Not much in apparent carbonation, but it's not slick in feel -- carbonation makes itself known in the feel.

D: I went back and forth on whether to give this a 4 or 4.5. I finally settled on 4. I've had plenty of 90 Minute IPAs in the past and like most DIPAs, they're pretty heavy. But the balanced flavors of this one make it pretty drinkable -- it's not a one-dimensional hop-bomb at all (unless you get it on the hops infuser), but I did find the aftertaste to detract from its overall drinkability somewhat, and of course, at 9% ABV, you need to be careful.

Notes: I'm not sure how old this bottle was. The "packaged in" notch said October or November (it was between the 10 & 11) but there's no year indicated at all. I can't remember when I bought this 4-pack; it's not entirely impossible that this bottle was from a 2004 batch. Regardless, it's definitely been aged at least a year, possibly two, and I think that aging helped to mellow the hops and make for a more balanced DIPA. . . . I've had this on tap in the past, and my recollection is that it was hoppier off the keg, doubly so off of Randall the Enamel Animal when I got it at the Blind Tiger a few years back. I'd like to buy a current vintage and drink it right away to see if the hops would be more pronounced in both the nose and the taste.

Kendo, Oct 29, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Light golden amber, rich color - quarter inch head - thick foamy - very clear.

Nice strong bitter smell - major citrus vibe.

Bold and strong bitter flavor - some citrus - love those hops - noticeably, but not overbearingly, alcoholic - some mild earthy tones.

Thick - leaves a stirring presence in the mouth - light carbonation.

Great drinker, I could not down this puppy quickly - exquisite.

Overall I really like it. I can really taste the alcohol hiding behind the hops, this seems to tickle the nose. A very nice IPA.

MrHungryMonkey, Oct 28, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Purchased at local liquor store and poured into tulip glass. The head is creamy off white not fluffy, but creamy. It dissipates at a decent pace and leaves thin lacing. The body is a toasty, orange, amber, red. Smells of subtle malt sweetness balanced with hop aromatics. The piney aromatics of the hops are the showcase in this beer, but they in no way are sharp or aggressive. If any thing they sit much further back than the hoppy aggressiveness of most double IPAs. The hops smell of mild pine, grass, some grapefruit and, citrus. There are also some sweet fruity ester qualities manifested from the malt, which to me seems not so common in Double IPA, not that its not pleasing. There also seems to be some coffee and raison in there, possibly from the use of toasted malt. The flavor is much the same, there is some bitterness from hops, but nothing that is really going to knock your socks off like some IPA. The bitterness is well balanced with esters of sweet malt. There are variations in this beer that most IPA or imperial IPA’s don’t have. This is a very tolerable IPA easy to drink. If you want an IPA that will kick the shit out of you with bitterness (in that good way) this is not the IPA for you, but this is totally a drinkable double IPA to have around, especially in contrast to something as wonderfully hoppy as Dreadnought. This is damn tasty, easy going double IPA if you like your hops wild, its not quite that, but its damn tasty all the same.

mmcave, Oct 27, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.
Poured a great looking burnt orange color, crystal clear. Small white head.
Aroma is of instant hops and malt. The hops have citrus and floral tones. Nothing overly complex here.
Taste is extremely smooth, with an initial taste of sweet caramel ,honey and malt. It takes a second after swallowing for the delicious, citrusey hops to travel up the back of your tongue. I've had this one before, but forgot how good it actually is.
One of the best IPA's I've tried.

spruce488, Oct 25, 2006

12oz. Bottle

90 Minute poured a beautiful dark orange. An aggressive pour produced a 1+ finger head. The head was creamy white along the edges of the glass with moderate bubbles throughout the the center. Decent lacing. Big carbonation bubbles rising from the center of my snifter.

Smell is mostly hops but there is a solid malt backbone. A ton of floral hops along with tropical fruit. Pineapple, mango. I also pick up bubblegum every now and then. Strong hop scent. Makes my mouth water.

Now on to the most important aspect of it all. The taste is up there with some of the best IIPAs I've had. The flavors are exactly like the smell. A solid caramel backbone but the main point is the juicy fruity hops. I was expecting more bitterness but the end is a good balance with only a slight bitterness. As it warms I can feel a warming alcohol in my nose and throat.

Medium bodied. Coats my mouth nicely as I drink. Moderate carbonation tingle on my tongue.

Drinkability is good. It would be a little higher but the alcohol comes out more as it warms.

Overall 90 Minute is an excellent IIPA. The fruity hoppiness is actually refreshing considering the high amount of alcohol in this one. My favorite offering from Dogfish Head so far.

Slainte!

joe1510, Oct 22, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -18.7%

Pours a crystal clear orange body with very little head.

The aroma was much more muted that I expected from a big IPA. There is a hint of grapefruit, and not much else.

Flavor is sweet from alcohol, leaves a slight alcohol burn in the aftertaste. There is a sweetness from a complex fruit collection. Hint of grapefruit (not as much as the armoma led on) and grassy, lemon, and melons. There's a creamy caramel flavor that comes through once in a while, but mostly the bang of the strong aftertaste takes over.

Mouthfeel is a bit foamy and creamy.

Drinkability is a toss up for me. Compared to some of the new wild IPA's trying to outdo each other, this beer has an enjoyable hoppiness that does not tear your taste buds off in the aftertaste. However, at the same time I feel like the alcohol content fills in this void and can be overwhelming.

Very different IPA compared to the dozen I've tried lately. I'm very surprised this scored a "best IPA" award from Esquire, although its uniqueness can't be denied.

terrabyte, Oct 22, 2006

12oz bottle to a pilsner glass

A - Beautiful golden honey colour with a small, light brown head. Slight carbonation. Head left minimal lacing.

S - Hops, hops and more hops.

T - A very hoppy beer, as expected. Surprisingly though, there's more to it than that, but I couldn't put my finger on exactly what I was tasting.

M - Just a little thin and a little too fizzy for my liking for an IPA, but still goes down smooth.

D - The smoothness means that one is very drinkable. However, the extreme hoppiness of the beer means that one was definitely enough for me.

All told, a very enjoyable beer, and I think one more suited to being enjoyed by itself rather than paired with any particular food.

Washburne, Oct 21, 2006
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

A - golden, a bit carbonated, very fine head

S - Hoppy, hoppy, hoppy and a bit like honey

T - Hoppy and full-bodied

M - Smooth taste. Not a watery beer

D - Very drinkable, especially for a 9% brew

Overall - First beer I've ever had served on the Hop Infuser. Don't let the relatively light appearance fool you, this is a great tasting serious beer.

Reils, Oct 21, 2006

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Stone IPA glass.

Appearance - Pours a nice honey straw color with a thin half finger somewhat creamy head. This settles at an off-white very thin layer of head atop the brew. Leaves little lacing on the way down, only patches here and there.

Smell - Some thick fruitiness on the nose: peaches, pear. Also some tangy citrus notes with moderate bitterness from the hops. Warming alcohol in the middle, with a nice and rich mellow pudding-like maltiness.

Taste - Moderate bitterness up front with a nice tropical fruitiness. Some mango, lemony citrus, and pear are definitely present. Also some herbal/floral notes from the hops. The initial flavors take back stage to a subdued but deeply rich pudding-like malt character. There is also some light peppery spiciness throughout, but especially in the aftertaste. Also in the aftertaste is some earthiness and a citrus rind flavor.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied, and you can tell this when you pour it. It pours nice and viscous. Very smooth with light but refreshing carbonation.

Drinkability - Good drinkability, but the flavors are strong compared to your average IPA. The carbonation is also a lot more mellow than most so its not as fully-refreshing and "lively."

A good IPA. Has some good and pronounced flavors. A very good and surprisingly smooth mouthfeel is also a nice asset of this brew. Recommended.

dblinkhorn, Oct 20, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

I've heard good things about this brew, and I love IPAs.
Pours a hazy amber, like dark honey. Clumpy head that with nice staying power. Laced a bit on the sides of the glass. Hoppy smell; some lemon and tangerine, hints of malt. Taste was a bit complex for what I was expecting. Hops and flowers, some richness like a farmhouse ale, slight sweetness to tame the hops from going wild.
Alcohol is noticeable, but does not get in the way of enjoyment.
Very nice IPA

Mebuzzard, Oct 18, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -10%

A very yummy beer to keep around. I did a side by side last night between this and Terrapin's Big Hoppy Monster. Pours a beautiful clear amber with little to no head. Sweet citrusy hops and a bit of alcohol come through in the smell. Taste is strong - bitter comes through more than the sweet, but the sweet is there. Much more malt balance than with the BHM, and for a beer this hooped up and alcohol assertive, that is a plus.

Mouthfeel and drinkability suffer a bit only because of the intenseness of the hops and the alcohol. Don't get me wrong, the alcohol is well hidden, but there is no question that you are drinking a powerful beer. 2 of these in a sitting would suffice.

Onibubba, Oct 16, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

*This is my edited review of this beer for the draught version plus hop infuser*

Appearance:
The beer pours deep copper in color with a relunctantly dissapating fine head into a pint glass. Particulate matter is absent for the most part leaving a clean and clear glass of beer.

Smell:
As could be expected not only on tap but blasted through a hop infuser this beer smells intensly of citrus but more prodominantly, apricots. To me apricot isn't really a smell that I want a full nose full of despite how pleasant the taste may be, so this took away from the overall smell of the beer in my case. This may be a bonus for others.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
Pleasant carbonation is the first thing I noted with this beer. The beer rolled over my tongue like a mildly sweet gravy of malts and apricots. I really enjoyed how smooth and "full" tasting the beer was given it's 9% ABV. There's a huge presentation of citrus grapefruit taste to offset the profound apricot flavor. I found all of these factors to work very well together.

Drinkability:
On tap this is truly a treat. It isn't always true that beer is better on tap but it couldn't be more true with this beer. If you don't mind several high alcohol slightly sweet beers in an evening then this beer would probably be perfect for you. It is absolutely delicious!

The Bottom Line:
A fantastic "meal" beer. I can't stress enough how much better an already good beer is when blasted through a tube of hops. A IPA lovers dream.

Grundle20, Oct 15, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

With all the hype surrounding this beer, I couldn't wait to try it. Pours a perfectly clear amber color with a minimal head. The smell hits you with a strong scent of hops as well as some alcohol and citrus sweetness. The taste is intense. Malt up front and then a huge wave of alcohol and hops. A bitter finish but not overly so due to some nice balancing from the malts. Smooth. Mouthfeel is slick with a medium body. A little carbonation lightens it up a bit. The drinkability is better than I expected. The first time I had one, I thought it was a bit overpowering. When I had one a week later, it went down much easier. My taste buds must have adjusted and I'm glad. Overall, this beer is a good choice if you are in the mood for a big, hoppy beer.

uconnalum2, Oct 14, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This stuff is intense! First time I had it was in Summer 2005 on a farm in Paxton, Ma. It was a surreal experience to say the least. Immediately upon opening the bottle, I knew I was in for a hop bombardment. On top of being hoppy and delicious, its got an amazingly full and smooth taste for a 9% ABV brew, perfect to just chill back and sip on. Highly recommended.

pgenius, Oct 10, 2006