90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: Deep orange colour and slightly hazy. It was topped by a thick off-white head that had excellent retention and left generous foam stuck to the side of the glass.

Smell: Some toasted and biscuit malt were evident, along with a bit of alcohol. Hops were dominant, mostly pine and citrus (similar to oranges) characters.

Taste: To start, there's a solid malt base with plenty of sweetness that provides balance for other flavours that show up along the way. Hop flavour is piney or resinous to start. At the mid-point, alcohol flavour and fruitiness appear. Hops become more dominant at the finish, mostly the cascade/citrus variety. The finish is actually quite mellow for the complexity of flavour with some alcohol warming and no astringency or overpowering bitterness. In fact, bitterness is well controlled and balanced throughout.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation with a medium/full body. Good smoothness of texture.

Drinkability: The high alcohol content and fullness of body make this unlikely for a session, but the balance and finish keep it quite drinkable.

Other notes: As it warms in the glass, the aroma changes substantially. The hop character dimishes somewhat and a vinous, alcohol aroma combined with ripe fruit appears.

12 oz. brown bottle with the bottling date clearly printed on the label.

DrJay, Dec 09, 2004
4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

12/07/04- Received from a fellow BA buddy Spinlock from his trip to Boston.

Presentation- 12 oz bottle with a bottling date of October 2004. Served in my Duvel chalice.

Appearance- Poured with a nice inch head and had very nice lacing. I nice dark golden, light amber coloring.

Smell- At first there was not much smell. I had to cover up the glass with both hands and sneak my nose in to catch a scent. When I did I smelled nice candied sweetness. Maybe a tad bit of alcohol also.

Taste- Much sweeter than I expected. I've only had a few double IPA's and none of them were very sweet. So, this was a new taste experience for me. A nice amount of hops that was toned down due to the mellow sweetness of the beer. A nice warming sensation comes over me.

Mouthfeel- A decent amount of thinkness and very little carbonation. Goes down super smooth.

Drinkability- After it's all said and done you can feel the alcohol presence, but over all is a very drinkable beer. Thanks so much for the 4-pack Pete! Damn good beer.

GClarkage, Dec 08, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Dogfish Head? Odd name..

Pours a lovely amber, with a thick off white head that laces well. Smell was at least 90 minutes worth of hops, with some fruity esters. Taste - Wow this is highly hopped! somehow crisp and smooth at once, very enjoyable and the high ABV isn't noticeable at all. Very smooth silky mouthfeel, I could drink this all night... and I probably will.

tatterdash, Dec 05, 2004
3.1/5  rDev -27.6%

My roommate and I split a 4-pack of this Dogfish IPA in celebration of one last bit of sanity before finals, and at $12.99 per 4-pack, I'd say that splitting it with someone else is a rather good idea!

It poured a honey amber color, highlighted with gold. A thin but nice-looking pale peach head was present, but only for a few minutes.

The smell is mostly a very sweet peach-apricot scent with just the slightest bit of caramel. There is a nice earthy smell in there somewhere, and hops are present, but not overpoweringly so.

It tastes of grains and a nice jolt of citrus, soon to be followed by a strong taste of alcohol (which, at 9.00% is no surprise). Hops are far more noticeable in taste than in smell.

The mouthfeel is good, as the carbonation plays lightly at the tongue. Almost a little too much carbonation for me, but its probably fine for most.

This 90-minute IPA is definitely drinkable, but one must be wary of the alcohol content. After one bottle, I can feel it a little!

All in all, this is a great beer. Probably not a staple beer in my place, but I'd welcome this beer as a great deviation from the norm.

Opethsprite, Dec 04, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

Yum,,the mothers milk. Pours out a hazy amber with a one finger head.Head dissipates but not before leaving a nice lace.Smell :HOPS! and plenty of em also a slightly sweet smell. Taste wonderfully balanced,very hoppy but has enough malt to keep em in check.One of my first introductions to IPA's and one of my faves. Mouthfeel is good alcohol barely noticable but at 9.0% they will sneak up on you.

tweeder263, Dec 02, 2004
4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Honey golden with a long lasting, lacy off-white head.

Aroma is an enticing mixture of pine sap, pine needles, pine sawdust and warm earthy malt. Almost a smoky note.

Taste actually is carried by a biscuity malt flavor before hops bounce all around the palate without being strongly bitter. Pine predominates, with nuttiness, a hint of whiskey without the burn, and then yet more piney hops.

Balanced so well, this could pass for a mild ale if it wasn't for the warming that appears near the finish.

shirfan, Nov 30, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured an almost golden orange with perhaps a hint of honey. Head retention was average, yet very foamy.

Aroma was very strong but not overwhelming, hinting at the complexity of the hops.

But it was the taste that blew me away, Very full w/ nary a hint of bitterness. A touch of sweetness...just enough to keep all the elemtents in balance. Handed a sample to a wine-drinking friend and he was very impressed.

While not being overly exceptional, the mouthfeel detracted nothing from the experience and was overall very solid. And if you asked me, I'd never guess that this beer was 9 % by volume, so it's fair to say that it's very drinkable.

I only wish this beer was more available in the town where I go to school.

alexAK, Nov 30, 2004
3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

This beer poured a reddish brown colour into a tulip glass, forming a huge head. It smelled fruity with a hint of chocolate. The chocolate grew stronger as it warmed.

It was quite bitter (not in a bad way) with a piney finish.

I'd not hesitate to have another one of these.

chunkylover53, Nov 29, 2004
4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Brightly polished tangerine-amber with honey colored accents, topped by a thick, creamy head of rich ivory that is tacky enough to stick around, seemingly indefinitely, and to leave an impressive lace legacy when it eventually departs.

Even though the brewery calls it an IPA, there's little doubt that 90 Minute is a DIPA and a good one. The nose is full of bright, brassy citric hops with a sweet caramel maltiness swirled into the mix. Specific fruits include orange, grapefruit and apricot.

This is definitely powerful stuff. Some breweries create DIPAs with a relative emphasis on malt so that there's as much caramel flavor as hoppiness. Others place a relative emphasis on hops in order to produce a tongue-shredding, bitter, explosive hop monster. This beer looks like the latter, but tastes like the former. Trouble is, I prefer the latter.

There's still a lot to like here. The flavor profile is an amalgam of melted caramel, fermented pine sap, concentrated essence of oily citrus peel and alcohol. The alcohol masking--like a few other DFH beers that I've had--is more like those small black 'eye masks' than a full-faced Godzilla mask. That is, it's not that hard to appreciate what's underneath.

Maybe this is an old bottle (although I don't believe that it is) and the hops have softened too much. Running it through Randall the Enamel Animal should fix it right up, but I don't have one handy at the moment. Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA is still good-very good beer, but it doesn't quite crack my upper tier.

BuckeyeNation, Nov 22, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearnce: a very appealing pour...clear golden-orange with a foamy, medium off-white head. as clear as apple juice.

Smell: hoppy and sweet. plenty over-ripened fruits...apricot, peach and bitter orange peel. oozing of hop.

Taste: sweet off the top with a cotton candy like fluffiness. orange peel and again, ripe aprcots. the sweetness maintains its staying power while giving way to some serious hop bitterness. the combine nicely and offer up a well balanced and big palate. both the fruity sweetness and hop bitterness linger nice and long and the maltiness is present too although hidden beneath it all.

Mouthfeel: some fuzziness to the mouthfeel. smoothes out mid sip and generally has a light to medium body character. very easy going down.

Drinkability: i feel like im not even getting the 9% abv here. The easy drinking combo of fruitiness and hop galore simply pleases my palate to no end. I feel like I could have 12 of these over a day. Simply a great IPA. Loved it.

Popsinc, Nov 20, 2004
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Paid $2 and change for a single...

The appearence pours a cloudy-hazy brown base with a huge white head, nice retention and very nice lacing to follow. The smell was a little weak, you can smell a nice compelation of hops, that's it.

The taste is pretty smooth, nice hops and malt blend with a touch of alcohol. The M&D are up there; extremely smooth on the palette, a tocuh of alcohol from the delivery, as for the 9% abv you'll feel it, quickly.

Final Thought: On prior forums, one might say this is a novelty; but hey, it works for me, and after one I'm nicely buzzed.

mobyfann, Nov 18, 2004
3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance - Bottle has freshness marking - this beer is only a month or two old. Thick creamy head forms (and remains) on the pour. Color is light amber - great for an IPA of any sort.

Smell - Mild hop and malt aroma present. The smell is difficult to characterize. I was expecting something that would knock me over, but this beer did not do that. The bottle says that the beer is dry hopped, but the hop nose is largely missing. Maybe there is something wrong with my nose. Please consider how other reviewers have picked up on the aromas in this beer.

Taste - This one is a hop bitterness explosion! However, balance with the malt is good, and there is also a hop aftertaste that lingers for a long time. Alcoholic warmth sort of sneaks into the aftertaste as well. There is also characteristic ale fruitiness present here.

Mouthfeel - This beer has sort of a thick, almost syrupy feel to it. This seems appropriate for the style. The thickness also makes the beer more of a challenge to drink and enjoy. Novice craft brew drinkers should try the 60 Minute IPA first.

Drinkability - Stylistically, this beer is probably right on the mark. The thick mouthfeel makes the beer a bit difficult to drink at first. I got used to it through the course of the beer. Now that I know what to expect, I would like another. Experienced "big" beer drinkers should love this one.

Comments - I consider myself a hophead, and I really like this beer. Possible downside: if you are a relative lightweight like me, you cannot finish too many of these in one evening. Watch out! The 9% alcohol sneaks up on you quickly.

mgdeth, Nov 16, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

out of a bottle I was impressed with this beer. after having the 120min on tap I was a bit remiss to try this one... my mistake. it smells hoppy and full of alcohol.. and it is. very clean sharp image on eye balling, after being underwhelmed by the 60 min ipa this one is a winner. It carries the weight of the style better than most especially in a wide glass (and the hops are the winner here). Great hops nose and actually clings to the glass way lighter than it actually is. Smells like some belgians but has the great american hops kick. The carbonation is just right for me but a may be a bit much for the style if you want to be picky. Bottom line? solid beer with a big nose, big alcohol and sneaky flavor for drinkability. An excellent IPA for sure.

Ego, Nov 14, 2004
4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Deep copper color with a thick, rich cream colored head, and a thin lace draped on the pint glass. Deep floral hop character in the aroma with bits of pine resin, and a light citrus bite. The floral/pine character bursts in your mouth as soon as the beer hits your tongue. The citrus hits half way through, and just a hint of malt, and a slight burst of alcohol come on the finish. Wow, more hops as I sit and think about the flavor profile. Nice medium to light mouth feel, and a great drinkability, even with this high alcohol content. This was my first BIG IPA, and is still one of my favorites.

carln26, Nov 13, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA…2002, 750 ml, ”…now available in this handy economy size”: Economics hell, damn thing got lost in my blivet.

Nose is hops, oh the hops! Visual is iced tea…sans ice. And not “sweet tea”, since my mom was from Jersey…but, I digress.

Slick oily mouthfeel…lost some of the hop bite over the 2 ½ years of cellaring, but no matter. Still, a stellar Imperial IPA, but not over-the-top like a fresh version. Hints of grapefruit rind…maybe more than a hint, how about a whack upside the head. A rye bite rears up as it warms. Very quaffable, and a perfect accompaniment to watching UGA squeak (!!!!) one out against USC (University of South Carolina for my Left Coast brethren).

Not as balanced as it could be…hop bitterness is there, but balance is waning.

Still, Dawgs and hops…like butta’.

Cheers…

markman, Nov 12, 2004
4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Visually, almost everything you could want out of an IPA, if a tad syrupy looking. Nice, reddish color, and a head that sticks around for a little while. The smell is unusually sweet, which is the first thing you notice on your taste, along with an odd sweet-citrusy flavor. Thought that this brew was about the hops, not the citrus.

Not that I'm complaining, the hops are definately there too, and the sweetness adds an unexpected complexity. This brew's almost refreshing, in its way. Nothing like the heavy hop slap I've come to expect from IPA's. Much more drinkable than I thought it would be. Good beer. Give it a taste.

SetarconeX, Nov 09, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

I tried this great beer at Smokeless Joe's. Ive been waiting so long to sample it and it finally came to Toronto.... awesome.

It pours a brassy orange color with a moderate bristly head that leaves a great web of lace. The aroma is a compendium of hops. Theres citrusy, earthy, woody, piney and floral hop notes in the nose. A competent malt backbone is also very evident. The taste begins with a smack of hoppy bitterness which quickly turns resiny and herbal and then citrusy in the middle. Malt flavors also become prominent in the middle. In the finish the whole mass of hops becomes incredibly citrusy - like grapefruit rinds and mix with the bready malt flavors very well. The aftertaste is very bitter and complex, with all the different hop flavors lingering. The mouthfeel is resiny from hops and very thick. The alcohol content is completely hidden behind the hop assault. This is one hell of a good beer.

CAMRAhardliner, Nov 04, 2004
2.88/5  rDev -32.7%

Had to try the legend, here are my thoughts...

Nice color, a hazy orange color. Poured a smallish head that lasted till the beer was finished, with good lacing.

Smell is of strong hops, but not exciting at all. I can't pin down the scent, but it is rather rough, with the alcohol too coming on too strong.

The taste is another let down for me. Yes, it is very hoppy, with a good malt background, but it's just not exciting enough for me. More like an overhopped beer. The mouthfeel is rather heavy. The beer has a good finish, and does not leave too strong of a hop flavor remaining. This beer is easy to drink for being so strong in flavor and alcohol.

Overall, I am let down by the 90 Minute IPA. Guess I don't care for the hops that are used. Wonder what kind they are???

rocketmotor, Nov 04, 2004
4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance: deep, crystal clear and copper in color with an ivory head. Looks pretty tough in a glass. As my nose approaches, I'm tingling with excitement.

Smell: Does not disappoint. I hate to say "hops" but that's what it is. Intense pine smell bordering on citrus freshness. There is a hint of malt sweetness to it but only after it warms.

Taste: Orange juice is the first thing to come to mind. Lip puckering goodness. There are hints of pine, orange, and believe it or not, a nice underlying sweetness that appears as it warms. It is what it is though...very much a hop lover's wet dream.

Mouthfeel: Oily, slick, and medium bodied. I sense multiple layers. One sip brings out pine, the other citrus, and finally some malt sweetness. This beer is a mosh pit in my mouth.

Drinkability: Suffers some just because it's a bad ass beer. It's definitely hops to the maximum.

Notes: It's these kinds of beers that could turn me into a "hop-head". Once you have this kind of beer, all other attempts at IPA's, double IPA's, whatever you want to call them, just seem silly. This is the kind of beer that makes other beers hard to review because this is just so over the top yet very well done. Less geekin' and more drinkin'...

mattcrill, Nov 02, 2004
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

On-Tap at McGradys. Dark golden yellow with a small off-white head. The aromas are of herbal hops, bready malts, hemp, a bit of the ole' skunk (weed not the animal;-) and more. The taste is fruity and hoppy up front with a lovely "herbal" taste that leads into a bone-dry finish of alcohol, hops, and a bit of french bread. The mouthfeel is medium bodied but almost too light, and the drinkability is good as well. Another winner from DFH. I really want to try this from the Randall though! C'mon McGradys!

francisweizen, Nov 02, 2004

Got to sample it on tap at the Connecticut River Brewfest. I was very excited, as the bottle was incredibly good.

This was a clear amber brew with a very big head, dense and foamy. It lasted quite a while.

The aroma was of hops. Complex, several kinds, layered and strong.

The taste was of intense hop bitterness, with not a lot of malt, and a long bitter slow finish.

What can I say? Better on tap than in the bottle. The closest thing to a perfect beer that I have had yet. It was beyond true description. I have GOT to find a bar that has this on tap, and make it my home. This would go well with cheese and crackers, nachos, and practically anything else you could think of.

connecticutpoet, Nov 01, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

finally.

this beer is a bit darker than i was expecting. dark orange colour, and a decent head that sticks around throughout the whole drink, with nice lacing.

aroma is viscous hops. i just think of hop oil and pine trees when i sniff this. though the smell is really hoppy, it smells like a big beer, a barleywine perhaps, and the hops aren't crisp smelling, but balanced with a bit of malt.

the smell does nothing to prepare you for the taste. bold. once again, those hops are just thick feeling. i was immediately expecting some grand bitterness, but, there wasn't any. the malts swooped underneath of the hops and swiftly transported them through my mouth on a caramel raft floating down carbonation river. delicous hops and a brilliant sweetness sums this up. balanced perfectly. exquisite.

mouthfeel accentuates the taste. perfecting medium carbonation. this beer tastes big. it's thick. certainly the thickest ipa i have had.

well, this beer does not disappoint. i have been waiting for months to try it, and, for the first time, it superseded my already high expectations. i have drank many of the 60 minute, and to call this the 90 minute inevitably leads to some confusion about the similarity of these two beers. the 90 is not simply a hoppier 60 minute, it's a completely different beer.
i not only strongly recommend you try this beer, i encourage you to seek it out.

trancefishy, Nov 01, 2004

On tap during Rich O's Lupulin Land 2004

This is the very first beer I've ever rated all 5s. It was absolutely magnicent from beginning to end.

Beer arrived in an english pint glass with a head so dense, I could have sculpted it with a putty knife. Excellent head retention with heavy lacing.
Beautiful deep amber with a hint of orange.

Smell was crisp clean hops with citrus predomitating, oranges and grapefruit. Also a hint of clove and honey.

Taste was simply outstanding. No other way to describe it. A burst of refreshing clean hops right from the get go, with a glorious middle of mild fruit. Extra dry clean finish. It's very hard to tell from the taste that this is a 9% abv beer.

Mouthfeel was excellent. Many beers this hoppy leave a long aftertaste that can seem to stay with you for days. Not this beer. Just the right amount of carbonation allows it to slip down easy with.

Extremely drinkable. It has me wondering how much it is to buy it directly in kegs.

oracle, Oct 12, 2004
4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

I first had this a couple years ago out of a corked 750 mL bottle, now it's a capped 12 oz. bottle. It still better be good...
Pours a rustic orange copper that is slightly hazy. The head is sticky, creamy-soft, and very light tan. Very good lacing. Smells mostly of very citric hops, some piney resin, and alcohol. I can also pick up a solid base of sugary sweet malt. Taste starts off with an acidic hop greeting, followed by sugary mini-donuts, which don't last long. A bitingly acidic and juicy hop wave crashes in and takes over. Notes of fruit try to crack through and do, a little bit. The bitterness is big and citrusy overall. Finish stays resiny, and bitter and dry for quite a while, with some lingering sugary/fruity malt. Mouthfeel is big and coat-your-mouth sticky. This ale has a yeasty-musty-alcohol vibe throughout I wasn't crazy about. Still, a very good IIPA.

alexgash, Oct 11, 2004
4.58/5  rDev +7%

12oz bottle purchased at Jim's Homebrew in Spokane for $3.55. According to the bottle it was "packaged" in May, presumably of this year.

Poured a golden orange color, with a big, off-white head and lots of lace.

Smell is of...hops (duh) - piney ones, citrusy ones, floral ones. Smells glorious.

Taste is even better than the smell. While there is a malt backbone to the proceedings, it gets held to the ground and relieved of it's lunch money by the hoppiness, after which it slinks into the background. The hops aren't nearly as intense and overbearing as I had expected, and are much more diverse. Piney, citrusy and floral hoppiness are all encountered, and all of these hoppy aspects are brilliantly balanced. While there is a dryness at the finish, it isn't a bash you over the head, massively bitter, Death Valley kind of dryness, but far more subtle instead. This is the best tasting IPA I've ever had.

Nothing to complain about in the mouthfeel department. This is a medium bodied ale. Carbonation is where it should be.

Drinkability is great, except for the abv, which would put many on their ass in no time. But if I had a second bottle of this, I'd be sorely tempted to have another if I had nothing to do for the rest of the day.

woemad, Oct 04, 2004