90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

A - Amber with a medium white head

S - Weak hop aromas

T - Hops on the forefront, interesting types. Rich malt flavor past the hops, zesty almost. Quite bitter on the aftertaste

M - Heavy carbonation and medium body

D - Somewhat drinkable, not my favorite IIPA. Borders on barleywine almost.

3.24/5  rDev -24.3%

12oz bottle that has 1/26/09 as the brewed on date into my snifter.

A- this one pours out a very nice looking copper colored body with a small white head that quickly fades to a mere skim. it leaves a solid wall of lacing on the sides of my glass.

S- the first thing i notice in the nose is faint piny/citrus hops. after that theres some sweet toffee malts. very weak for something this big.

T- sweet almost fruity malts followed by hops. the balance is nice. then comes a wave of alcohol. a little too obvious compared to other members of the DIPA family.

M- this and syrupy. lots of heat on the way down from all the booze.

D- this one just doenst do it for me. although it is one of the most balanced beers of this style. the alcohol is a little too in my face to consider drinking another one.

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

A - 1 finger head diminishes to leave a nice small cap that remains, very nice amber gold color

S - Piney hops, citrus/graphefruit, sweet

T - Hops upfront but not overbearing, citrus and sweet malts combine with a slight bitterness towards the end that makes you want another sip

M - slight carbonation at first but smooth, slightly sticky

D - Moderate for the style, probably not the ipa you would be looking to session but that's not what it was intended for. Certainly a great brew that is easily enjoyed.

3.98/5  rDev -7%

Had this on-tap at Creekside Brewing Company in San Luis Obispo last night. I've heard that it's also available at Spike's. Both bars are reportedly having trouble with the kegs: beer keeps coming out as all head. Took the bartender about three minutes to get it from tap to glass. Anyway, here goes:

Served in a snifter.

Appearance: Clear caramel-colored body with no apparent carbonation. Head is tight, light khaki in color, and close to two fingers in height. Great retention and fantastic lacing.

Smell: Lots and lots of herbal hops! Weird, because I remember this one being all about the malt when I've had it before. Citrus, pine, and spicy alcohol come along for the ride. Very clean and hop-forward.

Taste: Bread, herbal hops, citrus, pine, and a good amount of alcohol. Less complexity and much, much, less malt than the bottled version. I don't like it as much. A very clean, light(er), tribute to the hop; similar to a Pliny the Elder-style DIPA. This one, however, is no Pliny. Not even that bitter. Still good, but vastly different than the bottled version.

Mouthfeel: Pretty flat and definitely thin for the style. Way thinner than the bottled 90 Minute. Warm and dry.

Drinkability: Really not a bad beer, but no where close to the bottled version. I think there may have been something wrong with the keg. Everyone there (all of them BAs) thought it tasted nothing like the bottled version. To dry and light in flavor for me to keep ordering. I could get it again, and I might, but it just wasn't that special.

EDIT (11-11-2009): I've had this several more times since (at Petra in San Luis Obispo), and it's been damn good. I bumped the previous ratings up a bit.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%

I stand here sipping on a 90min IPA and i'm thinking on 120min IPA.

DFH definetly changed the way I see beer. I see "extreme" clearly and 90min is also a worthy example- though not *the DFH bomb*- but still a beautiful beer and a prelude to the 120.

pour is thin reddish with a poor opacity to it, but not fully translucid. looks kinda oily. head was lost at once, but the lacing lasts a million.

smell is pine-ish, sweet kind of maple syrupy in my opinion. hops all over the place, however, a considerable leafy scent is going on there.

taste has a beautiful balance between strong sweet and strong bitter. nice viscous feel at first rushing with the burnt malt feel followed straight after with a mix of bitter-alcohol. viscous body (like i said), well carbonated.

This beer is fantastic, much like the 120 min. i'm kicking my paradigms aside as we speak.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a clear gold color, a light yellow copper held to the light with a slight white head with nice lacing.

The smell is of hops, sweet hops with some piney flavor.

The taste is subtle hops, not slamming into the taste buds but gently letting your mouth and tongue get used to the hoppyness. Again there is a hint of pine and some grains feel as well.

The mouth feel is the best I have had in an Imperial IPA. Just the right balance lets this beer let you enjoy this beer without biting to hard back. Not heavy on the pallet and is nice and smooth. Some the thickest lacing I have seem on an IPA, Nice!

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Served at cellar temp in a pint glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - Pours a perfectly clear rusty amber with a small yet well retained head. Very good lacing.

S - I actually smell some coffee on the nose, followed by the hardy aroma of floral hops and wet dog.

T - Unique, to say the least. A lot less bitter than I expected, with a lot of malt sweetness. I was bracing for a vicious tongue lashing, but I instead got a very balanced brew. Hops are piney and citrusy, and the malt is like dark candy sugar. Very tasty.

M - Slightly sticky with light carbonation and light weightiness.

D - The bitterness was surprisingly tempered, and the flavor is just excellent. The alcohol is well hidden as well. Definitely not a session brew, but very easy drinking.

overall - I'm stunned. I was expecting this beer to jump up and smack me across the mouth with a hop grenade, but instead it wafted up to me and vigorously caressed my taste buds like a good shiatsu massage. Oh god, I think I'm turning into a hop head.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

A- Clear copper/amber. Medium sized white head. Doesn't appear to have much carbonation.

S- Holy hops! Super strong aroma of freshly picked wet hops.

T- Fresh hops, bitter middle, and a slight malt finish. Sweet overall and a good boozy bite from the 9%. Absolutely excellent. Should be the standard when comparing other double IPAs.

M- Thin bodied. low carbonation. Leaves the palate well, no stickiness or dryness.

D- Boozy, bitter and hoppy. Not for everyone. I think the boozyness could be less.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours amber. Nose is an earthy, sappy, hop resin, with hint of watermelon and bubble gum; I did not detect floral or citrusy notes. Flavor introduces a sweet maltiness. More malty than a typical DIPA with perhaps not enough emphasis on the hops. Perhaps the hops used don't hit the floral and citrusy notes I like. A nice beer but I like a bigger taste for the price and ABV.

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

DFH 90 minute. This is an excellent beer. Well balanced in all respects, it is a classic DIPA. The imperials trend more towards the malty side than do their regular IPA counterparts, and this is no exception. This beer has been sitting in my glass for almost a half an hour, and there's still a head. Amazing. The color is of worn and tarnished copper with near crystal clarity.

The smell is strong on the citric/pine side of things, but there are some definite honey/molasses notes in there too from the strong malt presence. A delicious smelling beer all around. Perhaps there is a touch of floral in there as well.

The flavor is strong, well balanced, and very pleasant. The malt character is slightly stronger than I prefer, but I would always consider it a privilege to drink a beer this tasty. The hops strengthen as the this brew warms in my cup, but behind them are maple syrup elements, and lots sugar cookie like sweetness. Far from cloying and offensive, they compose the setting for the hops that stand more to the center of this beer's stage, but only just. The hop qualities are piney with something that reminds me of the smell of white sage, citrusy, with pronounced, but well mannered bitterness. Extremely good tasting.

Medium to full bodied, this beer maintains it's carbonation almost supernaturally. The feel is creamy, and smooth.

Weighing in at 9% this is not a beer with which to trifle. However, I would like to drink myself silly on these.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a Tulip glass. Bottled on 11/17/08

A - A very nice, sexy copper color topped with a short-lived off-white dense head. Left some lacing. One of the best colors I've ever seen!

S - The bouquet of hops is incredible! So much going on here: Warming of alcohol, pine needle, nectarine and other fruit aromas, and a syrup-like sweetness.

T - Incredibly complex. Hoppy with a slight bitterness, fruits, malts, and pine. Awesome!

M - The 90 Min has a sharp crispness to it that I find to be very rewarding. Also, a medium bodied beer that's got a slight chewiness to it, probably in part to the syrupyness.

D - No where near the 120 level, but this guy's main problem in my eyes is that the 9% doesn't even try to hide. Its so up front and demanding it kind of takes away from all the other fantastic flavors going on. Low drinkability in my book.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very stong IPA. It is very good and very expensive if you like paying 9.99 for a 4 pack then not a problem. That being said you are paying for a quality product with great taste and excellent drinakabilty for a berr wwith this ABV.

Appearance is clear with a redish hue.
Smell of citrus and hops taste is excellent. Taste is very strong of a IPA. Mouthfeel will burn but has really good an Drinkability is scary as a lot can be had before ABV is realized.

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Appearance: Poured with a nice light tan creamy head that dissipated over a few minutes leaving a little lacing at the top of my glass. The beer is a beautiful orange gold crystal clear color.

Smell: Bitter flower smell, caramel malt, piney bitter, slightly nutty, and some alcohol.

Taste: Sweet caramel malt, some citrus hops, a bit of a piney bitter, sweet nutty flavor, ending with some alcohol flavor and bitter pine.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated, medium bodied, bitter tingle, followed by a sweet coating in the mouth, leaving a small alcohol burn.

Overall: Pretty good drinkability. Some alcohol present, but that can be expected for 9% ABV. Much sweeter than most imperial IPAs in the flavor. Has an unfavorable after taste of extreme bitter and alcohol.

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

A--Golden/copper color...moderately hard pour yields two fingers of head and a little bit of a neat cascade effect. Tons of lace. Perfect.

S--Huge citrus hops nose..pineapples, oranges, apple skins as well. Little bit flowery in the background. Very strong too. Awesome.

T--Lots of bready maltiness to compliment the huge hop bomb that is in front of me. This is just fantastic. Grassy hops balance well with the citrus that dominated the nose. Only two sips in and I already got a great hop burp that tastes even better than the beer. Not quite perfect but damn good

M--Normal for the style, doesn't quite coat the mouth and drip hop juice like...say...Hopslam

D--One a day is enough for me, but that one is very easy to put down

This is definitely one of the best readily available DIPA's in the world

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

A: burnt orange, soft golds, with sturdy yellow edges. Head provided sticky filmy layers of blobs and streaks all around. Almost lifeless in the glass, looks like a smooth drinker

S: earthy whiffs, toasted malts, toffee and caramel sweets. Loaded with herbal and dominant pine smells

T: juicy, sticky, and sweet. Malt profile is thick, chunky, and chewy with a sticky toffee nut raisin character. Slight alcohol pushing through paired with soft and ripe fruits. Delicate oily hop residue is on the back of the tongue, however it is never overly bitter. Sometimes I swear I am drinking melted caramel toffee alcohol-based sticky buns

M: powerful, medium bodied, and lushly slick. Easy down the hatch and the alcohol is by no means overpowering but knocking on the door a few times

D: I still would pull for other DIPA's. However this thing still rocks and has to be tried. I feel some of the hop flavors are masked or not even present, I vouch for a handful or two more of hops

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

A: Golden brown color. Not much head, but does have a steady but slow stream of bubbles rising. No sediment or haze.

S: Apricot, peach, guava and other nectary hop scents. Doesn't really smell bitter or alcoholy at all. Just getting lots of fresh fruits and tropical fruits.

T: Almost the definition of balanced. I'd almost think it was underhopped if I didn't already know better about their brewing process. Good malt backbone. It's more of a traditional IPA malt that's been turbocharged rather than the honeyed malt that is popular among many IPA's.

M: Medium body, moderately carbonated, and with a hint of syrupiness in it. Just about what a DIPA should be.

D: While each of the above elements was good, somehow at the end of the day, I never find myself wanting more than one of these, and often I'd prefer to split it with a friend. It's very enjoyable, but just not something to consume in quantity.

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The 2nd installment of my Dogfish Head experience, I decided to partake in one of the highly regarded IPAs. And what a treat it was!

The 90 min IPA pours as a complex amber and gold with a strong off-white head and significant lacing throughout.

The smell is prototypical Imperial IPA; pleasant and flowery sweet, but it lacked the strength and punch that elite IPAs in its class have consistently shown.

The taste was where this really showed its merit. Highly hopped by unbelievably drinkable. A real treat! Not quite as complex as some others, but a very good, very smooth brew that permeates the taste buds with great bitterness and a strong aftertaste.

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

This is a very effective beer to repeat on. I try it every once in a while to test dogfish to please my craft beer taste...It does.
Bottle has a bottled on date 11-21-08

A- Off-typical medium burnt orange color with small white head that falls to a froth but leaves excellent patchy lacing up and down the glass.

S- Is of floral hops and mild grassy hues. Carmel malts are apparent. Very mild but present alcohol esters linger in the back of the nose.

T- The best part of this brew. Hop flavor is the first thing that hits me. Next, is a mix of malts and barley. The alcohol is there but not noticable for a hop head like myself.

M- Brew sits in my mouth like a wonderful mixture of well balanced flavor, mild carbonation, and a great mellow feel. A little tart ending as well.

I could have many without a doubt.

4.45/5  rDev +4%

I have been hearing a lot about Dogfish Head but it is hard to come by on the West coast until recently when they got a good distributor. I was really worried this beer wouldn't live up to its hype but it did and more.

It poured a nice red copper color with a small white head and a good amount of carbonation.

The first thing that struck me was the smell. As a West Coast beer drinker when I see Imperial IPA on a bottle I think big hops. But the smell was more malty with a bready sweetness.

The taste was fantastic. Again I was expecting a hop barrage but instead got an incredibly pleasant malty beer. The thing that really struck me about the flavor was the toasted notes at the finish that must come from a much darker roasted grain. The beer tasted strong but not alcoholic, in fact the alcohol stayed well hidden.

The mouthfeel was a nice medium bodied beer with the toasted flavors at the finish. It had a strong feel to it but not at all strong from the ABV content. A true joy to drink and a beer I will revisit.

It lived up to the hype and I am sold on the DFH line of beers.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served at Trolley Stop on-tap via Randall the Enamel Animal. For those unaware, Randall is basically a enamel tube that holds lots and lots of hops. In this case, it was cascade hops. As the 90 min is poured it filters through Randall before coming out on the other end. Poured into 8 to 10 oz. pint glasses.

A- Pours a golden amber with a nice, fluffy head. Very nice clarity.

S- Getting a lot of piney aromas, much like the regular DFH 90 min. Some citrus is detectable along with a slight malt scent.

T- This is where Randall made a huge difference! What was lacking from the DFH 90 was the huge citrus flavors that other big time DIPAs have. Well Randall does just that. It adds to the arsenal of flavors by infusing big grapefruit, pineapple tones that blend perfectly with the original base beer.

M- Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

D- You can't get much more drinkable for a DIPA. Great flavors and goes down smoothly.

I always liked DFH 90, but never held it in the same class as some of the other bigger DIPAs out there. However, after having this beer served through Randall, it was really reminiscent of having one of those big time DIPAs on tap. Great stuff!

4.15/5  rDev -3%

This was given to me at a family function in Connecticut on April 4, 2009.

The pour is copper with a decent amount of head and good retention. The aroma is mainly hoppy and sweet like caramel or toffee. The taste was very sweet and mild with a great balance of hops and caramel. It had a sort of hoppy string ale taste. This is the kind of IPA I can really drink since IPAs are not a favorite style of mine.

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

at first sight it looks great nice copper color .. good head.. smell is not overwheling hops.. malts.. taste is great.. nice hops flavoring..hints of malts and a smooth after taste.. i had 2 and i felt great going on 3 and i feel good for bed.. great brew.. cheers

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured into a standard tumbler...all I could get.

Pours a medium amber to dark honey color with a huge three finger head that leaves ample lace.

Aroma is of malt...very surprising. The malt is dominant on the nose with a hop BACKING, which is nice. The aroma has me very interested.

Flavor is a malt explosion followed by a strong hop back. Man, this is a weighty beer with the malt taking the front with enough to balance this HUGE grain bill this is an ale to go down for the ages. Caramel and dark fruit, toasted bread and sourness, dead leaves with a soft cinnamon pine-cone flavor. Wow a lot going on here.

Thick chewy mouthfeel with an oily lingering. This is a beer to remember and much better than the 60.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

A - Coppery red, no head at all, tiny amount of lacing.

S - Caramel, HOPS, and a touch of alcohol. A tiny hint of pine.

T - Maltier than I expected, but the hops are not overwhelming. Good rounded flavor. VERY well balanced. Hint of alcohol at the end, but not as much as it's 9% would suggest.

M - Again, very well balanced. Not syrupy, but not thin either. Perfect match for the fantastic flavor.

D - You can tell that this is a strong beer, but it is drinkable enough to get you into trouble. I wouldn't have more than a couple.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Picked up a 4 pack at Spec's in Houston, since its not offered in NOLA.

Poured into a Tulip glass, I poured it hard and got a nice head. Took about 2-3min to go down. Poured an amber color with some lacing

S) Honestly the first smell that hit me was the Alcohol and the the roast caramel, slight fruity smell

T) All the fruit tastes hits you. (not as bitter as the smell lead me to believe.) Nice and hoppy finish

M) Slight carbonation and malty

D) Wouldn't drink the entire 4 pack at once! Nice beer to share.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery