90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Color: brilliantly clear, light caramel

Smell: the continuous hopping and generous malt creates a character of remarkable complexity and depth. fresh pine, sweet, ripe fruit, caramel, pungent flowers, harsh bitterness and alcohol all blend so beautifully together

Taste: very reflective of aromas. very bitter but balanced with lots of sweet malt and fresh, fruity, floral hop character. alcohol is obvious but shares the stage well

Mouthfeel: low carbonation. smooth

Notes: one of my favorite IPAs. i love DFHs style, with the 120 being my alltime favorite beer

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Made a run for the border, not distributed in Minnesota. Curious, but wasn't not necessarily seeking it out, I finally went on a short trip to Wisconsin to buy untasted beers.

A: Light copper that gets brighter when a light source shines through. Small white cap head 2 cm think that dissipates as the carbonation becomes evident.

S: Smells like hops, grass and pure citrus.

T: Tastes a lot like it smells, a good citrus greeting with a grassy hop finish. Leaves a nice dry bite. I think this is my hops threshold? No, it can't be, keep drinking!

M: Carbonated, but definitely oily, probably from the hop oils?

D: 9% ABV here we be, great hops, great maits, nice.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. It pours a lovely copper color with no sediment. There is an off-white head the is initially small, but stays around a lacing throughout the life of the beverage.

The smell is my favorite part of this beer. It has great notes of pine and citrus, as well as fresh grass.

The taste is quite good with a fair amount of hoppiness with significant malty sweetness. The honey and citrus notes are readily present. There are hints of spice and the alcohol is noticeable but not overwhelming.

The mouthfeel is also good with a fair amount of dryness and a medium body. The carbonation is nominal and it actually has a thick and sticky sensation on the tongue.

Overall, this is a very good beer. I was drinking this well before I knew the rankings and kept going back for me. I could enjoy this anytime of the year and feel it is worthy. However, if you're looking for unadulterated hops, this is not the best IPA for you.

3.25/5  rDev -23.9%

A honey stand on the side of the road in mid-to-late-June... Aroma of sunny days, fresh grass, and honeycomb, along with the crushed pine needles underfoot. A few off-white clouds in the sky come into view, then quickly drift away, and a light breeze whistles its way through the copses. "Someone must have toilet-papered the tree yonder, see the wisps still hanging after yestereve's rain?" The sky is clear and someone is blowing bubbles in the distance... one or two float up into the field of vision every now and then.
"Christmas pops" is what the man had called them. Apparently resin-infused honey sticks. There seems to be some artificial solvent sticking them together, though, lending somewhat of a chemical note. "I would have thought there would be more bitterness, or at least more pine notes, from how he described them." "I agree darling, there seems to be far more on the sweetness than the resin, though I suppose they were made for children."
And so it seems. An "imperial IPA" for those unaccustomed to them. For those with palates still used to malt-forward beers, and not ready for a true hop experience. Chewy and warming, low carbonation, and an intense alcohol character that does not seem to fit well.
An okay beer, but there are FAR better in the style, and this one is almost cloying in sweetness.

"Let's go lie down on yonder flat rock, shall we? Listen to the river and nap." "I agree darling, I am feeling a bit drowsy after that drug-pop... too bad I heard so many good things about them... perhaps his last batch was better? You never can tell with these things..."

Bottled 9/22/2008.

4.87/5  rDev +14.1%

A - Beautiful honey color with a small white head. Very nice scattered lacing throughout the glass.

S - Loads of evergreen scented hops as you would expect, but a sweet grainy aroma comes through as well.

T - Starts sweet on the tongue, then the hops come rushing in. No real bitterness to speak of, just fresh, floral hops. The finish is slightly boozy and warm, but not overpowering. I'm impressed with how well-balanced this is given the strong hops and malt flavors and the high ABV.

M - Thick and rich but goes down smooth. Perfect amount of carbonation.

D - The only thing keeping me from giving this a 5.0 is the ABV. I'm not much of a hophead, and I always assumed this was just a more intense version of the DFH 60 Minute. But instead of another jacked-up hop bomb, I found an amazingly balanced beer that suits my tastes perfectly. I could kick myself for waiting so long to try it. This will be a mainstay in my beer fridge from now on.

3.93/5  rDev -8%

Picked up a 12oz single at Wilburs in Ft. Collins, around $6. This is a beer I've heard a lot about, and have really been looking forward to trying.

A: copper/orange color with a few rose? highlights. off white head that was about half an inch thick, reduced to nothing. crystal clear. gobs and gobs of clingy lacing on my new belgium tulip.

S: Hops are citrusy, grapefruit rind, definite melon quality, which I find in almost every DFH beer I review, sweet caramel malts balance in there nicely. Somewhat of an isopropyl alcohol in there too, somewhat offsetting, but expected.

T: A lot sweeter than I thought. Big time caramel malts in this one, sweet honey flavors, and there in the back is a citrusy, rindy grapefruit hop characteristic. Bitterness is really subdued by all the malt flavors, the hop characteristic in this one is nice, but not the hop bomb, I was looking for. Alcohol is fairly present, but not overwhelming, melon characteristic pops as it warms.

M: Really thick, and smooth, big time malt stickiness on the lips, and a definite booze warmth. Carbonation is minimal.

D: Not bad, but not one of the better DIPAs. A good beer, but a little lacking, almost too sweet and malty for me, not that all DIPA's should be flaming hop bombs, but a little more hop characteristic would be nice. Not a bad beer, but I am a little let down.

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance: Nice head and lacing, hazy straw-pale-yellow-gold-peach

Smell: Fresh brassy hops, pine resin, hint of malt, grapefruit rind

Taste: Lots of hop bitterness and oil, alcohol

Mouthfeel: Some smoothness from the malts

Drinkability: Good, but doesn't hold a candle to Yulesmith

A-Pours a clear copper hue with a 1" thick off white head and great lacing.

S-First smell is all apricots with a hint of toffe.Second smell hits you with a floral,citrus and pine wall,all I can say is hops,hops and more hops.

T-Taste is of dry grapefruit and sweet apricots.It has a light malt flavor towards the end but you also notice a warming alcohol finsh.

M-It is a full bodied beer with good carbonation.

D-It has a dry feeling leaving you wanting more which makes it very drinkable but I think 1 or 2 is enough for one night.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into an oversize wine glass. Bottled on stamp; 9/22/08.

A- Orange/amber appearance, and strikingly clear. Pours with <1 finger of white head, which fades quickly into a thin, sporadic cap. Heavy lacing.

S- Citrusy/grapefruit/pine sensations paired with a touch of spicy booziness.

T- Lots of malty sweetness dominates the first drink. Citrus/grapefruit emerge and pine rolls to the back of the tongue. Moderate bitterness. Alcohol is well blended/concealed. Quite drying on the finish. Initial "syrupy"/malty flavors seem to fade throughout consumption, which keeps it from becoming cloying.

M- Carbonation is moderately low and very fine. Slightly syrupy, and quite smooth.

D- Extremely drinkable for its 9% ABV. Good flavor + smooth drinking make this one quite dangerous in this realm.

Future outlook: No reason to believe that I won't be getting this again at some point in the future.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured into a Samuel Adams New Glass

Appearance - 4.0
Slightly cloudy copper-orange color. Very slightly cloudy. Head is very thin head. Slight lacing.

Smell - 3.5
Sweet malty smell. Slight bitter smell. A little woody.

Taste - 4.0
On the malty side of the IIPA category. Honestly, I'm more into the less malty and hoppier experience. However, I found one bottle of this to very enjoyable. Malty sweet surrounds my taste buds. 4.0 may be too nice.

Mouthfeel - 5.0
Loved the mouthfeel. Carbonation seemed right on. I enjoyed the party on my palate.

Drinkability. - 3.5
I enjoyed one 12oz bottle. I think I could enjoy another bottle in a few weeks. But I'd rather have something else for my second beer.

I'd love to try their 120 hour. Maybe I don't deserve it after that review.

3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a deep gold with a puffy cloud like white head that sticks around and leaves a nice lacing.

The smell is overwhelmed by alcohol and I get a little biscuity smell.

Taste at first seemed to be too strong with the alcohol, but after taking a few drinks I am getting a little biscuit and fruit and of course the hop. Has a nice chewy mouthfeel, not too carbonated like some of the other Dogfish Head I have had lately. Drinkability is not bad although I am not getting as much flavor as I thought I would past the alcohol. Gets better the more I drink though.

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured tis brew into my snifter. Poured a golden orange body with a off white head. Leaves decent lacing at first but not for the whole glass. Has a nice hop aroma to it, with hints of citrus and malt hiding behind the hops. As for the taste, has a slightly bitter one that has a dominate taste of hops with a little malt and citrus. Seems to be under carbonated. Has a great mouthfeel and drinkability to it. Im definitely going to have to pick up some more to test the carbonation level.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A nice cloudy golden color, a huge head with extra sticky lacing.

Smell: An aroma of expanded fruit florals, some pine, oily hop tinge, grapefruit, and some spiciness as well. Some biscuit like aroma as well from the malt. Overall a very enticing smelling brew.

Taste: The hops expand beautifully upon the first sip, spicy grapefruit and a huge wallop of esters sets you off for a nice ride. The hop presence is so huge, theres alot going on with the fruit elements as well. Spicy, a tad sour, yet perfectly balanced together. I could feel the awesome warming sensation after every sip.

Mouthfeel: Exceptionally low carbonation, I didn't find myself grimacing when drinking this. It's so creamy that it tames out the carbonation perfectly. Very balanced in the body, doesn't get wet and holds together wonderfully.

Drinkability: What can I say? For my first DFH beer I was very pleased. I've walked by DFH brews so much at the local package store and I'm glad I didn't this time. At 9.00 ABV, this is a perfectly balanced beer thats not overbearing, yet packs a huge flavor of hoppiness and fruit elements. An excellent job from DFH and I look forward to trying more brews from these guys.

3.35/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a pale straw yellow color with a bit of copper in it. A fluffy white head appears early, then kind of fades, leaving just a bit of bubbles on top. You also get a bit of lacing. The smell is a bit earthy and sweet. You can get the hop smell from the start, it leans towards piney, herbal, with a bit of citrus. But there is a distinct malty smell that is different from most DIPAs, interesting. The taste is enjoyable. I had it once and thought it was too sweet, but I had already been drinking other sweet things, maybe a problem, this one is distinctly hoppy, there's a bit of bitterness with some floral tastes. Then you get a bit of the nutty or biscuity maltiness, something a bit different, which is pleasant in the style, and there is sweetness of course, but it doesn't kill the hops. The alcohol is also well-masked. The mouthfeel is good, there's quite a bit of complexity, this isn't one-dimensional. But it's ultimately a little too syrupy for a DIPA in my opinion. I am a fan of a bit more dryness in this style. I figure that it could be appreciated by almost any age of beer drinker. I enjoyed having it, and would probably buy it again in the future, though I wouldn't want to drink a bunch of them at one time. Of course it will catch you at 9%, but I'm not turned off by it.

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a beautiful honey amber color with a small wispy head.
Smells like hops, hops, and more hops with a touch of sweet caramel maltiness. Taste like the nectar of the beer gods. Extremely balanced. Nice sweet maltiness followed by the hoppy goodness. Carbonation is perfect nice bubbles on the back of tongue. I could drink this all night long if my liver could handle it. With such a high abv you sure can't tell it.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

i am new to this beer being from CA, but this is an interesting take on the DIPAs style from waht i am used to.

A- darker in color that what i am used to seeing, looks very good!!

S- WOW it smell pretty hoppy, the color of this beer may be decieving but this is definatly a DIPA.

T - Good, very syrupy and sweet but still very hoppy, interesting, i like it.

M- OK once again very syrupy and kind of thick for an DIPA but still good.

D- Great, i brought a case of this with me on my last camping trip, D- is outstanding I could drink this all day due to the great balance between the hops and the malt.

I love this beer, i don't know if it stands with the CA unbalanced DIPAs that i am used too but it is really drinkable and enjoyable, their is no other DIPA like this, its great..

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is probably my favorite IPA. This is exactly the right balance of bitter and flavor that I look for. While IPAs may not by my favorite style of beer, it is simply because they can go wrong when not done right.

I had this one out of the bottle, bought in a four pack at a grocery store. I had no complaints. Bitter and very strong, a four pack is perfect, especially during the winter months.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Wow, what a big beer. Poured into a snifter it appears a beautiful golden amber color with an offwhite head, which dies to a nice cap. Good lacing. Smell is insane. ridiculous amounts of bitter hops, smells almost dank like weed. Pretty much standing in a hopfield with this stuff, excellent. There is some alcohol noticeable in the nose too. Well hidden though for 9%.
Tastes veryyyy bitter. The ibu count is definitely right lol. Excellent taste with a huge amount of hoppiness with some malts there to balance. Also quite some alcohol burn. Aftertaste of bitterhops lingers. Towards the end of my glass it became very alcoholic (as the carbonation died) however it was still nice. Not very balanced in terms of it being EXTREMELY hoppy, but its a great taste. Its an imperial IPA, after all... (dont expect balance).
mouthfeel is full bodied. Quite harsh with the alcohol, but very small carbonation (alright for the style).
drinkability cannot be very high because of the high alcohol content and the presence of it after a while (drank one bottle in about 30 minutes on an empty stomach and was nicely buzzed), but an excellentexcellent brew.

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

A: clear, good carbonation, not a lot of head after the pour

S: roasty malts, a dank hoppy smell of the beer.

T: ingredients blend well together, can def taste the alcohol content in this beer but it is very subtle. It has a roasty taste that rolls off my lips.

M: it feels like a lighter beer in mouth, its very light and smooth

D: because of its hoppiness and high alcohol content this is not the kind of beer you can drink fast. Its a more a "savor the flavor" kind of beer.

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

This beer is outstaing as far as taste. Pours a deep copper producing a pillowy white head that laces the glass and sticks to the mouth. Smells like a hop explosion in my nose. Citrus is very evident. Blew up in my mouth with citrus hops and malt. yummy. Alochol sweeps in the backround with malts, but very well balanced. Drinkability is quite low due to the high alcohol content. I love this beer though.

4.04/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a copper that's very nearly clear with a thin, white head and sticky lace.

Smell: Powerful hops. and I mean POWERFUL. There's a very strong scent of lychee and some faint dragonswell green tea in there.

Taste: Hops hit like a cannon to the head. Very slight meat or fish-like consistency in the middle; savory, almost. Aftertaste is alcoholic and warming, with a green tea-like bitterness.

Overall: Good sipping beer. Can't say that I'll buy more of this stuff after I finish this four-pack, though.

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured a deep golden/copper color in a pint glass great lacing for probably 20 minutes in the glass.
I was struck by the lack of hoppiness on the nose, kind of all malts...nose was the weakest part.
The hops took the background - even though there was some really tasty bitterness - very east coast styled IPA, a nice balance of hops and malt. It reminded me of an English IPA with way more character and kick. Finishes almost with a coffee bitterness. Super solid beer, but totally unique amount imperial IPAs. A wonderful beer, but I prefer west coast styled beers like Pliny as far as double IPAs go.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Beer for the Imperial Court of the Krimson King! Poured with and nice head and clear pale amber color. Good lace. Aroma is hoppy and malty; not too fruity. Earthy. Flavor is outta this world tasty. GFD! Lots of clean, chewy, earthy, zesty, robust HOPS mofo! And the malt to make it all work. Excellent body. Carbonation is spot on. Finish is satisfying and in spite of the power, enticing enough to want another. My god, this is beer!

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Aggressively poured from a fridge temp bottle into a room temp pint glass.

A three finger head slowly dissipates leaving a so-so splotchwork of head down the sides of the pint glass. A golden amber body paired with a cream colored head make for a nice match.

A sweet malty aroma paired with a mild hoppy aroma balance the nose of this beer. Piney and beautiful.

A great balanced taste, especially after what I have heard. Malty in the front and hoppy in the rear, slight tastes of pine and citrus round out the taste of this delicious beer.

Medium body goes down oh so smooth. An alcoholic plant blooms in the belly after drinking.

This great beer is dangerously drinkable. At 9% it will sneak up on you and kick you in the head from behind.

2.66/5  rDev -37.7%

Reviewed on 10/28/08. Bottle. Pours a clear dark orange with a thick, off-white head. Aroma of bitter garlicy and grassy hops and toasted malt. Flavor is quite toasty with some grassy icky bitter hops. Apparently this used to be good in the past when they bottle conditioned it, but it's not a very good IIPA right now...so why do people rate this so high??? There are SO SO SO many better IIPAs out there!!!
6/4/5/3/12 (3.0/5)