90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured a dark hazy burnt orange color with a glorious amount of foam which left big chunks of lacing down the glass. Thousands of little carbonation bubbles rise to the top keep a nice thick cap until the bitter end (pun intended). Perfect in appearance. Aroma is caramel malts and hops, hops, hops. Yum, and double yum when it comes to the taste. Perfectly balanced IPA with a "ridiculous" amount of two-row pale malts (as the box so boldly states) to keep up with incredible hop edition. I'd only like to discover. "Mystery Hop X"!! Excellent flavors of pineapple, candied citrus, and grapefruit. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, coating the tongue perfectly with oily hop citrus zest that I love.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

I was very pleased when a friend brought this one back from his trip to D.C.

Pours a beautiful deep amber color with a beautiful thick head. Very foamy and sticky head with some nice lacing all around the glass. Smells rich and hoppy. Taste is otherworldly. Immediately thought "where has this beer been all my life?!" Heavy hops up front, some citrus and earthiness, with malt flavor and a good amount of sweetness. The alcohol was barely detectable in this one, I imagine a few of these could sneak up on you, and fast. Mouthfeel is yeasty and chewy.

I want more.

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%

A: Brownish red, clear, with a nice 1.5 finger head that has wonderful retention. Laces nicely.

S: Alcohol! This thing is strong! Barley, dry hops, and toasted malt.

T: Dry-hopped flavor is rich with a strong grainy malt backing, and a slight grapefruity and alcoholic flavor, and some banana and dark fruit. After swallowing, toasted malt and the remnants of the hops are discernable. Alcohol is fairly quiet in the taste considering the ABV. Slight campfire flavor in aftertaste. It's good, but it's a little complex and unbalanced for my taste.

M: Medium-bodied, nicely carbonated, non-astringent, a little chewy.

D: Drinks pretty well, but the alcohol will keep me from imbibing huge amounts.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Disclaimer: This is my first review after using this site for nearly a year. I still am not good at describing beer, so please bear with me. I will do my best. Constructive criticism on my reviews is welcomed.

Serving: draft pint at Naja's.

Appearance: copper-orange. Bartender poured a small half-inch head that disappeared within a few minutes.

Smell: amazing floral sweet hops. I wish they made 90-min IPA air freshener. A bit of alcohol under the hops.

Taste: first thing I noticed was the sweetness, almost like hop syrup. Very well-balanced bitterness. I expected hop overload but it was just right. Hint of alcohol but the 9& ABV is nicely hidden by the bitter-sweetness of the hops. Only reason I gave it a 4.5 instead of a 5 is that I'm more into malty beer than hoppy beer, and I felt the sweetness was a tad overpowering of the carbonation. Still one of the best beers I've ever tried.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, slightly viscous syrup. I wanted a little less syrup and more carbonation but my pour might have been from the bottom of the keg for all I know.

Drinkability: highly drinkable considering the ABV and the amount of hops. Not a session beer, but putting one down is a lot easier than I expected.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

pours a copper orange color with bright white head. Sticky sticky lacing.

Would this beer smell of anything but hops? Spicy citrus hops are more noticeable first. Piney hops and hop oil aroma is quite pleasant.

Sweet hoppy goodness. Very crisp hoppiness balance quite well by the malt back.

Mouthfeel is oily and crisp. Finishes dry and smooth.

As drinkable as the come for the style. Awesome brew.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A. Poured into a beer mug from a 12 oz. bottle. Appears a light mahogony, some bubbles and fizzy head forms. Nice lacing.

S. Piney hops and malt.

T. Its an assault via Hop, but theres some malt which provides some sweetness to help balance. Very good. A slight alcohal burn but nothing to detract points for.

M. Feels almost like a light beer. Really smooth.

D. Very drinkable, even at 9%. Its just a good imperial. Nuff said.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Whats another review change to the score eh?

Medium cooper, frothy white head dissipates to a film and laces wonderfully. Aroma of hops, fruit, bread and american varietal dryhops.

Flavor of hops, a fair amount of malt sweetness. A firm and pleaseat hop bitterness. Never overly bitter, neither cloying sweet. A great beer.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Served out of a 12oz bottle

A-poured into pint glass. Crystal clear amber color. NIce head that reduced to a skim with thick lacing. Every drink left a nice ring.

N-Hops are in there for sure but has a rich caramel sweetness and slight alcohol smell.

T-It is a hop bomb but balances really well with the malt. Bitter and floral and yet sweet and very little alcohol taste

M-Well carbonated, nice creamy feel and not any notable burn. Smooth, rich, really nice.

D-It is one to savor...two or three of. Not a session beer but still easy to put a few of away. It hides the high ABV% pretty well.

This has some of the great complexities of the 120min and is a good drinkable beer. The first beer I think of when I think of a DIPA. If you are looking to tie one on and really enjoy what you are drinking, this is a good way to do both.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at Tyler's in Durham;

Served in its signature DFH shaped pint glass, what I wrote about the bottled version of this beer extolled the super-wonderfulness of it, ad nauseam. This version is better.

On tap this beer is smoother and more sedate, with a mellower hop profile than the kick-in-the-face hopping I loved so much about the bottled version.

Caramel and hops operate in balance here, at a level I'd call 'damned near perfection'.

Awesome bottled. Flat out kickass on tap.

4.28/5  rDev 0%

poured it into a mug, have i nice smell, a good amber color, good beer with a nice little kick, probly the best ipa beer ive had, the only bad thing was that i could only find them in four packs for 10.00 or a single for 4.00, it is a good beer but i dont know if its that good.

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, bottled 5/15/08.

Poured into a tulip glass, the beer produced a very nice, deep clear red/amber color, with a thick white head. The aroma was nice, thick and full of hops with a hint of sweetness. The taste is very good. Full bodied, hoppy, as you would expect, with hints of the malt and a very light hint of pine. Overall, very well done IPA. Very drinkable, smooth with some aftertaste, but very enjoyable. I will definately be buying more of this in the hear future.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle, dated 3/18/08

Rigerous pour into a snifter, with a 4 finger white, thick foamy head. Bronze in color with a ruby red haze.
Retention is outstanding!

I smell a huge dose of sweet bready malt, caramel, alcahol fumieness. Hops are most definatly having a party in my glass. Not so much grapefruit, but more piney earthy hop smell.

Taste is sweet up front, with malted syrup and bready grainieness through the middle. At the swallow comes the alcahol warming, huge hoppy festival in my mouth. Citruss, earthy grainy hops, resiny hop oil, somthing nutty, or coffee like, its only after the swallow that i get this.
Carbonation is present in a tingle my tounge all around way..
Floral sweet dry hopped flavor as well.

Very delicious. I have no complaints or anything I would change. Perfect American double.

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Enjoying this one in a snifter from a 12oz bottle as I write this.

A beatuful copper/amber color, with a thin white head, enough to give a "milk mustache". It has laced nicley through the first few sips.

Grapefruit and oranges are the dominate flavor from the hop with the grain pulling in somw sweetness to really balance this one out.

You are expecting it to be more bitter but the calamel and squash notes keep it in check. As it gets warm the sweetness is reduced. Very well balanced.

There is a reason it is a 4 pack. The ABV will sneek up on you by the 3rd one. So save the forth for another day.

3.85/5  rDev -10%

A: A solid copper/amber color, with a tiny white head and sufficient lacing

S: Lots of hop and citrus (grapefruit) lead the way. Seems like a sour citrus smell, hence the grapefruit.

T: Not extremely bitter. Grass flavor hops with some hints of caramel and citrus.

M: Nicely balanced medium carbonated beer.

D: I like this beer, but high ABV keeps me from doing more than 2-3 in a sitting.

3.35/5  rDev -21.7%

I reviewed this one a year ago and thought it to be an average DIPA with more reputation than it deserves. Here we go with another try. I picked up a 4pack from my local BevMo. Forget the price, but I think it was around $12. My original review was from a four pack that was $12.19 which I purchased from Coit Liquor in San Francisco, CA. Both times I poured into a large snifter to review. The below review is the combined tasting notes from both reviews.

A one finger white head that sticks around. This one pours pretty thick. Rather transparent glowing amber color. Good amount of carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Thick hefty lacing.

A perfectly balanced DIPA. A great beer in its own right, but when I pick up a DIPA, I'm looking for more hops. Has an earthy, woodsy, medicinal flavor that is quite unique to this beer. Some mild alcohol presence. I like it for what it is I guess.

The magic of the medicinal earthiness slightly disappears in the taste. Still very nicely balanced if that is what you are looking for. Subdued hops with a nice malt backing. Full flavor.

Mouth is relatively thick. Medium to full bodied. Very drinkable.

I can say my ratings improved since my original review, but I am still not that impressed. Guess it goes back to me being used to the west coast IPA flavors. I know many east coasters prefer this over anything and I respect their opinion.

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

poured into a ommegang tulip glass

A - pours an amber color with a two finger fluffy white head

S - aroma is resinous and hoppy but balanced with a malt sweetness

T - exactly what you would expect from the smell and that is a good thing. a beautiful ipa and extremely tasty.

M- slighty more than a medium body but not overbearing. somewhat sticky but not really(if that makes sense)

D - on a hot summer day I can go through a few of these, but for that matter on a cold winter nightI find myself reaching for a 90 min. as well..

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Pour is amber with an orange hue with a small white head and a thick ring of lacing.

Scent is hoppy, but balanced and very well rounded. Malty and sweet with burnt sugar, tropical fruits (pineapple and mango), and some alcohol.

Taste is hoppy and piny up front, some burnt sugar, earthiness, a hint of oak, and a lingering earthy bitterness finishes this one off.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth and a bit pinching finishing with a similar smoothness as it goes down.

I've had this beer a few times before, and could never really decide if I liked it or not. I tried it this time with the intent of writing a review, and I am glad I did.

12oz bottle poored into a pilsner glass.

I have had this beer a few times and frankly I've always felt that I was missing something that everyone else was getting. Well I decided to reveiw it anyway.

Dark/deep golden yellow with orange tints and hughes. Highly carbinated with a smallish but frothy and sticky head leaving excellent lacing. It is obvious in the nose that this beer has a large hop portfolio. Hard for me to pin down because none seemed to assert more than the others, but I did definately pick out grapefruit and pine. Also a definate sent of toasted grains. Starts out rather bitter and stingy up front and then into the the malt and alcohol flavors with some fruity highlights mixed in. This one is slightly overcarbed for me but did have a nice thick mouth feel. For being loaded with ingrediants as this beer obviously is it wasn't really any trouble to get it down.

I enjoyed this more than the last time, but it still doesn't quite jump on me like it does for other people, it kind of like a little of everything but nothing dominates. So yes its very ballanced and complex and I recognice it as a very good quality brew, but for some reason for me it just doesn't give that WOW factor that others seem to get.

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

The tulip glass fills with a clear, patenated brass, with hints of red below a thin, continuously reforming head.

A floral spice wafts above clear alcohol fumes in a sweet and alluring Siren's call.

Significant bitterness announces a complex hop symphony, followed by notes of pine character that become bolder in the finish without betraying the entry flavors.

This off-centered elixir is clean, smooth and warming with a nibble of alcohol that is significantly less than anticipated from a 9% brew.

Refreshing and eminently quaffable, but heed warning, for this one will enthusiastically drown any who over indulge.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

I've waited a while to have the chance to review this beer.
Color is a coppery-yellowish-orange very clean with a nice thin but consistent head.
A very strong hop and malt aroma, I sense a lot of different kinds of hops here.
Absolutely incredible complexity of flavor. Fantastically balanced (as rumored) it boasts a very enjoyable malty finish, definitely earns its place among the best IPAs in america. it also has kind of a three part flavor, towards the tip of the tongue it's hoppy and bitter, center is sweet, and the back is yeasty and smooth.
Medium body supports the bitterness but doesn't overpower
Absolutely the best balance on an IPA I have ever had, Way to go DFH I have heard good things and was not let down.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Another one I polished off at my bachelor party as well as one I should have reviewed a long long time ago.

A: Poured a nice dark peach brown with puffy head that pops and laces down the glass perfectly.
S: The strength of the hops does not smash your pallet but grows quickly and finishes with citurs and grass

T: Piney wet earth and floral accents.

M: NIce and thick but balanced and not overly tangy.

D: Much easier than I remembered and a great examples of how these boys are forging their own kettle in Deleware.

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

had this at winking lizard as the hoppy handle.
Poured a dark red/orange color with plenty of sudsy dark colored head that stuck to the side of the glass for the entire session. Smell is plenty floral and a little slight citrus, obviously the hops shone through. Taste is very floral with a malt backbone that stuck out. Mouth feel is prickly with plenty of carbonation to stand out and make this one a sipper.

12 oz bottle into Trappistes Rochefort chalice

A - Nice pour, finger head, brownish, orange, hazy brew

S - Citrus and hops

T-M - Very much like the smell, an extremely citrusy taste; grapefruit, mandarin orange; heavy hop taste as well, which blends nicely...

D - Great IPA brew; exciting to see a brewery doing this with the style; I normally dont session IPAs too much b/c of the lingering bitterness, but I could definitely intersperse this one. Worth checking out, for sure...

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

This is my first 90 minute IPA experience. Bottled 03/18/08, so it's 3 months old. Poured it into a goblet, it has a hazy orange-tan color many streams of small bubbles floating up to create a slight lacey white head.
Smells like pine, alcohol and sorta grassy/dirty... odd. No citrus involved here.
Tastes rather creamy... wow I don't consider myself a big fan of IPAs but this good! The malts actually have a creamy toffee like presence. There's even a fruity sweetness and spice. The hops and carbonation provide a nice tingly sensation. As with the nose the hops provide a piney grassy flavor. Has a medium mouthfeel. This is going down rather nicely. I expected the bitterness to be overwhelming but was surprised to find it this tame. I liked the 60 and I like the 90, these are probably the best IPAs I've had. Suggested.

Edit note: As this goes down the color clears to a peach, ice tea color. Lace sticks around real well.

4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a bottle into a Delirum Snifter

Let me start this review by stating how long ive waited to drink this beer i had very high hopes for it, hops that i though may not be able to be met.

A-Copper burnt orange color with a nice head and lacing throughout the glass as i drank it

S-Its all here citrus, pine, hops with a certian level of spice to it as well

T-The degree of complexity to this beer spun my head around and the balance of it just did it again smooth smooth smooth, hints of hops, and grapefruit and a wonderful finish that just leaves you wanting another drink i found myself sipping it very lightly and savored the beer for quite a long time. i'd say a meduim to light bodied brew with a good degree of carbonation. I would drink this beer on a regular basis and as soon as it makes its way to springfiled i will do so, it did not let me down and in many ways exceeded my expectations i cant stress enough you can read all these reviews a million times over the only way to truly grasp this one is to have it.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery