90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,700 | Hads: 14,413
3.57/5  rDev -15.6%

Awesome head, thing was carbonating like crazy kept wanting to rise, very foamy. Smell was hope forward with some fruity notes. Taste was quite brutal for me. Bought a four pack, drank two first night. Second night had to stop drinking the last. To strong when a bit drunk. (273 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on draft at the brewery in Milton, DE.

Appearance: Clear gold/amber, thick off-white head. Medium carbonation.

Smell: Big hop aromas, fresh citrusy/piney, maybe a hint of grapefruit. Also smells a bit sweet.

Taste: The draft is much better than bottle, the bottle comes off as a bit sweet for me by comparison. This is a nice little hop explosion in the mouth without being overwhelming at all. Just a big hop flavor with a sweet malt backbone to keep it even. Supremely drinkable for a DIPA. The 9% ABV is well concealed, I would have probably guessed more like 7.5% if I did not know better.

Mouthfeel: Medium/full body, a bit thick but not when you take into account the ABV.

Overall: Quite possibly the sweet spot for, dare I say it, a session DIPA. Delicious but dangerously drinkable. This is my go-to beer as I can always find it and it's reliably excellent (unlike the 120, which is awesome but scarce and inconsistent year to year). Not as refreshing as the 60 so I typically would have one of these before or after dinner, but not during. Have a draft with a really spicy snack and it is quite amazing. (1,124 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours clear orange gold with white head, smells of caramel malts and piney hops, tastes of sharp piney slightly grassy hops with malt backing the whole way down, smooth rich mouthfeel with a bitter easy finish. (210 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz btl. 3/27/15 bottle date (69 days old). Appearance: clear golden with a moderate off white foam cap. Aroma: Underlying resin and maltiness, with a pop of grapefruit and peaches. Taste: Rich maltiness with fruity, fig like flavors, with a toasted edge, giving way to a balanced bittereness that gradually increases in strength. Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation Finish: Dry, resinous feeling left on the tongue, with strong but not sharp Overall: A great, classic IIPA. Strong enough malt backbone to balance the high IBU, while remaining extremely drinkable, especially for the style. (604 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

*Bottled 3/09/15

Pours a transparent amber color with more than an inch of soapy, beige foam. Simple, mild aroma smells of grapefruit, toffee, and pineapple.

The taste is predictably hop-forward, with prickly, resinous, herbaceous hops coming through straight away. Alcohol provides tangible bite that accentuates the hops. The malt profile is bready with a touch of caramel sweetness. Medium body and carbonation lay the foundation for a somewhat oily, semi-creamy mouthfeel.

Perhaps three months is just too much age for an IPA to keep its form, but this comes across a little coarse for my tastes. There’s a biting aggressiveness that just won’t quit, and it ends up overwhelming whatever details may be lurking beneath. A very different animal from its milder, 60-minute brethren. (796 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Nailed it! This one is right in the danger zone! I had it aged quite a few years, and compared it side by side to the 60 Minute and 120 Minute. Those are both fantastic, but the 90 hits the sweet spot. Maximum hoppy power that's stronger (and I mean this guy is strong!) and more intense than 60, but not an almost overwhelmingly sickeningly rich beer bomb like the 120. Easily one of the best IPAs I've ever had, this has a rich mix of flavors that still balance really well and let you know that this is a beer that they put some effort into. (549 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought a $9 12 oz bottle of this at O'Hare Airport before a 13 hour flight from Chicago to Beijing. A perfect beer to exit America for a few weeks on! The maltiness of this IPA is possibly the most striking feature. Simply delicious. (233 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can see why this is rated so high. Beautifully smooth and drinkable, with a nice palatable pucker of astringent hops. Pours dark gold/light amber with sticky white head. Piney aroma and taste, nice thick mouthfeel. IPA isn’t one of my favorite styles, but this one could win me over. (287 characters)

Great nose upon opening, complex flavors of hops, with a big caramel malt infused backbone. Smooth bitterless finish for an Imperial IPA. This beer gains complexity as the glass empties. Often a bit sweet yet you salivate for another taste. (240 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

B - U - E - N - O: everything that's been written before; near perfect representation of the imperial IPA style with an ABV that is strong but perfect for a 12 oz bottle - Cheers (178 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -9.2%

Deep amber to light copper in color with a quarter inch of off white comprised of tiny, tightly knit bubbles. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles rise in synch to the top. Heavy lacing is coating the sides of the glass. I don't get much aroma from this. What little I get is a faint whiff of citrus and grainy malt. The flavor is a pungent citrus explosion with a light bready malt backbone. The tiny bubbles and heavy hop presence tickles your tongue and the finish is dry and slightly chalky. (495 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm not much of a IPA drinker but this IPA goes down smooth with no after taste. It doesn't have a strong hoppy or bitter taste. Best ipa iv tasted so far. (155 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Full disclosure: drunk from the bottle after purchasing at a bodega. I normally never drink from a bottle and always from a beer glass or wine glass.

Having said that, I didn't love it, it had nice hop notes but a peculiar finish that I was trying to pinpoint or more so, to enjoy....I will have to try again from a proper vessel (331 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: Clear, amber, copper color with a half inch white pillowy head, beautiful lacing down the glass with a thin layer of bubbles blanketing the top

S: Malts first, caramel, then some hops, floral. The balance is evident from the beginning.

T: Caramely sweet malts to begin but almost instantly the floral hops come in to compensate and make a great tasting beer.

M: Medium to full mouth presence, carbonated well

O: Oh man, What a great beer. I really love this. If your a beer lover then you have to try this one. Great malt presence with a nice hop balance. All the measurables are terrific. (606 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours clear amber color. One inch of white head. Large carbonation bubbles.
Nice head retention with watery but ample lacing.

S: Very fruity. Every type you could think of. Dark/sweet/ spicy/ citric.

T/M: Very malty at first. Nuts and caramel. More sweet malts and grains. Fruits
are sweet and balance great with the bitter hops. Hop flavors are strong but never
overpower the rest the flavors. A spiciness comes in with a strong bite. Alcohol
burn comes in a little. Aftertaste is juicy.

O: Amazingly balanced IIPA. Complex without the hop bomb of newer beers. It also
has a distinct taste which helps pull it away from other clone IPA's.

Cheers!!! (660 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

this one took me a while to get used to. at first, it was really hoppy and strong. the more i drank it, the more my taste buds adapted to the flavors. everything shone through the 3 time i had it. the taste just reminds me a lot of caramel and citrus (250 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottled 2/26/2015.

Appearance: Pours a bright amber color with quite a bit of white head. The lacing is very evident, as each sip leaves a personalized ring on the glass (note, enjoyed out of a pint glass rather than the suggested snifter)

Smell: Right off the bat, I get quite a bit of fresh hops. As I continue to drink this beer, I can smell something citrus and sweet. Not sure if they are part of the same flavor, or two completely different flavors.

Taste: This is a very mild/smooth beer for its style (compared to some others I've had like Hopslam), and I really like that about it. The citrus smell I was getting I can definitely taste, as well as that sweet smell. The first taste that really hits me is pine, and the rest of the flavors seem to follow with a slightly bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Not quite as filling as I'd like it to be, which makes it unbelievably drinkable. For a beer 'best savored from a snifter', this one is a little too easy on the taste buds. Carbonation sounds high upon opening the bottle, but I actually got a light/moderate level of carbonation.

Overall: Being relatively new to BA (but not craft beers), I've had my eyes opened to different highly rated beers. Being relatively accessible, I want to try what I can. I was pretty impressed with the smoothness of this beer given what it has to offer. Definitely glad I bought a 4 pack of it, and will definitely buy it again in the future. (1,443 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm probably not the person to review an IPA, because I typically avoid them like strippers named Mercedes... Nevertheless, this was a pretty decent beer and probably the first IPA I didn't feel like having to force down-- hell, I'd even drink it again...
Cheers! (263 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Not for the faint of heart my friends, this beer will certainly creep up on you! Rich in color and scents, bold and to some aggressive favors. All around a great purchase beer! Not so much in public given its toxicity!!! (220 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this amazing beer before but I hadn't had a chance to review it until now.

A - Beautiful deep orange color. Mostly clear with a big bright white head and great lacing.

S - Pungent hop fragrance with lots of citrus, grapefruit, pine, and resiny tones. Could smell it before I picked it up. Almost perfume like from the magnitude of aromatics.

T - Full flavored with a ton of hop character that has citrus, resin, pine, and grapefruit. Full bitterness but it is complimented by the hop candy like sweetness on the front of the tongue. The malt is lighter and only stands to compliment which is how I like my DIPAs. It is cleaner and more of the straightforward citrus/grapefruit character than some of the new DIPAs but overall great flavor.

M - Full mouth-feel with good carbonation. This beer has all the flavor but with higher carbonation and significant bitterness this one doesn't stick to the palate profusely.

Overall, a terrific DIPA. Great aroma, flavor, feel, appearance, but with some serious hop bitterness to go great with spicy foods. There are more tropical hop flavored beers out there but this one does the more traditional West Coast style perfectly. This brew is serious on the tongue and I would strongly recommend it to anyone that likes hops.

Glass- Tulip (1,294 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this the day after trying the 60 minute IPA. No comparison. Much more head on this one and the "malt backbone" gives it a sweet taste. Really sweet. I really like both the 60 and 90.....60 if you like more of hop/slight bitter taste, 90 for a sweeter, creamier, complex taste. Both great beers I will buy regularly. I think the sweetness makes this more of an introductory beer for those new to craft IPAs. One of the best beers I've had. (443 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It'a damn good IPA. It has a little something different from most of the west-coast IPA's I'm used to, but it doesn't detract--just a little different. (152 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

*transferred from old noted - 12/28/2015*
Poured from tap into 10oz flute. Pleasant and mild aroma consisting mostly of hops and grass (maybe more floral than grassy) but I could pick up whiffs of citrus (orange mostly), and mild, buttery caramel. It pours sparkling golden-orange with nice finger-width, slightly off-white, head consisting of evenly sized small bubbles. This pour had the benefit of a glass which must?ve had etching on the bottom - there was a constant stream of carbonation feeding the head, giving it a presence throughout the drink (the flute has an etching on the bottom), and leaving a nice lacing around the glass by the end. Even in a plastic glass, the head retention is generous, creamy, and fluffy and has a lot of sheet lace. The taste is a balanced medium high, citrus bittersweet. It?s a nice, medium body, a bit sticky with a mild hop flavor lingering. The constant head gives it the benefit of being creamy and frothy throughout, but it doesn?t feel fizzy at all. It’s a medium body, a bit sticky, that’s creamy and thick but also smooth with flavors of bread toast, biscuit, and caramel with some citrus. There?s a reason Dogfish Head gets so much credit for their beers, and this is a shining example of how to make and Imperial IPA without over-doing any aspect of it. (1,310 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is the gold standard for Craft IPAs in my book. It was my first beer I had when I turned 21 and it is still amoung my favourites. It has wonderful balance and I couldn't recommend this brew more, if you haven't tried any of Dogfish Heads brews I would say run to the store and pick some of this up, crack open a few and enjoy brewing perfection. Its just a good honest beer that is very drinkable and not overpowering in any way. This is how a Imperial IPA should taste in my opinion. 5/5
O.B.D91 (503 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Brilliant coper tinted gold under a 2” fluffy white foam collar that grips the side of the glass leaving line of lace.
S: Floral, spicy citrus nose with fruit and malt.
T: Starts with creamy malt and as the foam calms down fruit flavors emerge seasoned by big hop flavors.
M: Creamy, smooth fine soft medium to medium high carbonation, medium full body, slight warmth from the alcohol.
O: Big deliscious Imperial IPA with just the right balance between alcohol, malt, fruit and hop. (491 characters)

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery