Join our email list →

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,776 | Hads: 14,894
3.96/5  rDev -6.6%

Let me start out by saying that this particular batch of beer has been in the fridge at the store for a little bit too long. It was bottled on 8/27/15 and today is November 7th. The sad part is that I picked the youngest 4 pack on the shelf. I will have to update my review when I get a fresher batch.

Look: Light amber hue. Good clarity considering the abv. Pronounced head until the last drop. Nice lacing.

Smell: Pronounced malty sweetness, pronounced alcohol, peaches, and light pine.

Taste: Pine resin, candy sweetness and apricot. A little on the sweeter side, but I dig it.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body. Desirable considering the style. A little like syrup in my mouth.

4.06/5  rDev -4.2%

L: Clear orange body, no head.

S: Pinapple, strawberry, malt, and a bit of resin.

T: Caramel, malt, some light fruitiness and resin as well.

F: Medium bodied and foamy.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass
bottled 8.7.15
pours deep amber to gold with a decent off white head that left a lot of lace on the glass
smell strongly of alcohol, malt and sweet with floral notes as it warmed
taste sweet strong alcohol and floral not hoppy though
viscous feel
very enjoyable overall not a typical ipa to say the least

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had the 60 minute IPA and I didnt expect this to be much different. I was wrong. This is a much darker in color and more of a hoppy flavor. I recommend it to people who like the darker IPA.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours clear gold amber orange with a creamy off-white head. Smells like pine, stone fruits, pineapple, sweet tropical fruit, light bubblegum, and caramely malts. Tastes sweet and caramely with a citrus and tropical undertone, and a bitter piney herbal hit. Feels medium bodied, creamy with moderate carbonation. Overall a fairly balanced, malty and hoppy DIPA.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Solid beer start to finish. Hard to believe I've been drinking craft IPA's for a solid 4 years without trying this one. Great fruity hop aroma. Great balance in this 2x IPA. I get the big floral/citrus aroma balanced against a sweet (but not coying) malt backbone. Fairly good amount of pine in the flavor, but it's complex. Gold beer.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very smooth for a double IPA @ 9%ABV. Moderate flavor and scent of citrus and pine. Leaves your mouth with a nice tingling feeling, making one crave more!

4.06/5  rDev -4.2%

On tap.

A - Pours a light to medium caramel color with a nice thick white head, moderate carbonation.

S - Toasted caramel malt with some juicy citrus aroma.

T - Toasted caramel malt base from start to finish with grapefruit citrus and oily pine resin over the top, finished with a lingering pine bitterness to even out the toasted malt sweetness. The ABV is well hidden and deceptive.

M - Full medium body.

O - This beer is all about "balance" (at least coming from this keg it was. 'Cellars quite well also!

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was my first love when it came to DIPA's, and I fell hard for her.

I love this beer, and while I have had others since that I enjoy more, 90 min is still an outstanding brew. It's a far cry from the trend of citrus fruit IPA's, so if that's your bag, you might not have a taste for this one. There are some citrus/floral notes in it, but nothing like a Fresh Squeezed from Deschutes, or the like.

Overall, a fantastic beer, and one that I'll likely drink as long as they make it.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Son in law purchased this on a family Penn State football weekend.
Pours a slightly less than crystal clear light amber with a off white head thas good retention and excellent side glass lace.
Aroma: Has sharp, pungent floral, fruity and piney hops.
Taste: Thick, juicy hops dominate. Orange rind, citrus hops thick on the tongue. Bready Malts are present and add some subtle balance.
The 9% ABV warms with every sip.
This is a beer that with each sip you savor and appreciate.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap into a fluted glass, seemed very fresh. An excellent beer! Deep golden Amber with a thick creamy head. A beauty! Sweet fruity taste, maybe some sweet cherry. Also floral notes. I really enjoyed this beer!

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I can't believe this is my first time having DFH 90 Minute. I was disappointed. Way too malty and sweet for my taste and has none of the wonderful hop flavors that I love in IPAs and DIPAs.

4.89/5  rDev +15.3%

Gotta tell ya, this is the beer that started it all for me, and I am just recently trying it again. This beer is in no way a citrus bomb as someone else stated, but that does not take away from how great this beer is. This beer is so balanced at 9% and is one of the only DIPA's Ive ever had that can make a malty DIPA that is as drinkable and delicious as this. Bready, Malty and still a tad citrusy. Money Beer Here.

I was lucky enough to get this one on tap. Color is golden with a tint of orange, medium body, perfect amount of carbonation. It rolls smoothly over the tongue coating the mouth in flavors of citrus, floral, and distinct malt balanced by smooth hops.
Really enjoyed this one.

90 minute double/imperial is a beer/ale, from a beer-brand which I had seen before, and hence whose Double/Imperial I was intrigued to try.

The beer its self is not too carbonated, it doesn't share the tendency that many Double/Imperial's possess whereby they bubble out of the bottle as the bottle is opened. The froth/head is smoothe smelling, and smells/tastes quite good in general.

Along a spectrum of light->medium->thick, I would consider this beer/ale of medium thickness, its color is not very transparent, and is of a sort of harvest gold color. The smell is "seasoned" I would say, not in the sens of suggesting the presence of seasoning(like a Christmas season IPA for ex.), but in the sense that it seems very smooth, and in a sense palatable.

The taste of the beer, is smoothe, and somewhat rich. It doesn't possess the really distinct hoppyness of some Double/Imperial's, but it does posses the pronounced hoppy aftertaste characteristic of this type of beer/ale.

The beer's hoppy distinctiveness sort of lingers around the periphery of the beers overall rich smoothness, and overall I would say this is a great relaxing beer per se. This might be a great beer to pair with steaks, with buttered asparagus for example, or with a rich-buttery white fish(like seabass/monkfish) for example, or a desert, and might hence be a good choice for a "relaxing" with the television or with friends in general type of beer.

Overall I would say that this beer/ale is relaxing, satisfying, rich in some senses, and smoothe.

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

If you think all IPAs should be juice bombs or piney bitter bombs don't even attempt. A dark Amber pour. Smell and taste are consistent. Roasted malt is batman with the hop profile serving as robin. Not what you expect in an iPa. But if you free yourself from your preconceived notions. You can sit back and enjoy this great dipa.

4.44/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a complicated sipper. Lots of layers. The caramel, the hops, the Jack Daniels, all dancing together. My brother says there are too many notes, but I say it's a real pleasure.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours deep golden with a very nice white foam head. Smell is hoppy and malty, extremely well balanced. Taste is great, hops and malts are present, both balanced and very well combined. Bitterness is very friendly, not harsh, not astringent, very good Imperial IPA.

3.83/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Amber color with a nice creamy head that sticks around for a good while. Herby citrus smell. Tastes sweet and malty and hoppy... Like a Belgian that you had after cutting grass... But perfectly balanced... Very little alcohol sting on the initial taste but the high abv fills your mouth as you go. Weirdly a great sipping beer that tastes worse as you go... Though never bad... It just goes from orange juice to honey over time ... Which I'm certainly not mad at, but is none the less awkward... I see what the hype is about - it's solid, but I don't see this as someone I'll spend a lot of time with.

4.44/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured this beer from it's stylishly designed bottle into a standard pint glass. Slightly hazy, and amber in color. Nice firm head. Looks to be decently carbonated.

Hoppy nose, with hints of pine and herbs, balanced by a decent amount of sweet malts.

The taste is very interesting. The bitterness of the hops is strongly present, but then makes place for a caramel like sweetness. The aftertaste is delicious and keeps lingering for a long time after you've taken a sip.

One of the smoothest beers I've tasted. It's juicy, very balanced, and carbonated just right.

Overall this is an excellent beer that deserves to be enjoyed by itself.

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Very malty with some citrus notes. Smells of malt and pineapple, very sweet. The feel is really where this beer is disappointing for me. It's very dry and sticky. Not a beer that I would consider refreshing, but it's fairly tasty and has quite a nice smell.

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle purchased individually from Whole Foods, chilled to approximately 50 degrees and poured into a Spiegelau stemmed Pilsner glass. I am not a fan of big, overly hoppy IPAs and was pleased to find that this one doesn't fall into that category. On the other hand, I found this beer a little too malty and sweet for me. A little more hops and a little less malt and I think I would like this one better.

L: Dark off-brown with some translucence. Light head.

S: Malts, brown sugar, hop resin.

T: Malty, resiny, earthy.

F: Slightly sticky, full body. Sufficient carbonation.

O: Glad this isn't too sweet. Would love to try it on draft.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Very clear amber-orange with maybe a hint of chill haze.
Smell: Very citrusy, floral and malt notes with just a touch of hop resin. Not overpowering at all.
Taste: Much maltier than the smell would indicate, but there are distinctive citrus notes with just the right amount of hop bitterness to balance. Very slight alcohol aftertaste, but you have to look for it.
Feel: This feels like the perfect DIPA.
Overall: This is exactly what I want in an IPA - great hop flavor without overpowering bitterness or resin character, and a malt backbone to hold it all together. You'd never be able to tell it was 9% until it hits you.

4.01/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I didn't notice, but the beer was bottled in mid June, so it's almost three months old. I'm curious if some of the taste and aroma are affected by age.
Look: Amber hued with plenty carbonation. I poured somewhat aggressively with little head
Smell: malts
Taste: malt flavor at first with some hops coming through in the middle and then more malt
Feel: about right
Overall: considering what I was expecting to what it tastes like, I'm surprised and a little disappointed, but I think it's largely due to an older bottle. That said, the flavor is still really good and I'll happily drink the rest of my four pack.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery