90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 13,990 | Reviews: 3,762
4.37/5  rDev +2.1%

Dogfish is my favorite for IPA.

The 90 minute is top quality - probably the best IPA on the market that is widely available.

The taste is a wonderful blend of the bitter, vaguely sour taste of classic IPAs with hints of sweeter flavors beneath. Not fruity in my opinion but somewhat in that direction. It smells great, lots of cidery scents.

I will say that the beer can feel a bit strong/acidic in your stomach. Eat something with it. This is the only downside.

High(ish) alcohol %. A great beer to go with dinner.

4.49/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

There are over 3,000 reviews below, and most of them analyze the components of this ale. Those are incredibly helpful and valuable, but there are already so many of them. So what I'll offer instead is not so much an analysis as a strategy.

I love big DIPAs - I'm passionate about them. My favorite is Great Divide Hercules - I've given it straight 5s on this site. But at $14 / four-pack at my store, that's $3.50 a bottle. I like to have one each evening, but that'd be over $1,200 a year. I'll have a Hercules when it's time to celebrate - like at 5:30 pm on the day before vacation begins - but I want a more cost-efficient day-to-day go to.

For me, that's Uinta's Hop Nosh (formerly "Hop Notch") - $9 a six-pack or $1.50 a can. Not technically a DIPA, but a very good alternative for a lower ABV and a much lower price.

But how about when it's time to celebrate and kick back - just not at the rate of 2 1/3 times the price of my daily brew? Aha - that calls for 90-Minute.

This is a great, great DIPA. Flavorful, balanced, hoppy yet malty, it's near the forefront of American Double IPAs. And at $10 a four pack - $2.50 a bottle - it's a perfect compromise between my regular and special-occasion ales. Esquire once said it was perhaps, the best beer brewed in America. Not quite IMO, but it's very, very close.

BTW, what's up with Dogfish Head? They can brew some of the most sublime ales on the planet. There's 90-Minute, Burton Baton is a work of art, if your palate isn't adjusted to the happiness of a DIPA, then 60-Minute is an excellent IPA - but then they dump fruit and spices in their brews, run them through their goofy "enamel animal" so that you can screw up their brewmaster's creation with whatever abomination you wish - it's as if Ferrari took a set of keys to the paint job of every other car that rolled off its line. But 90 Minutes is the real deal. And if you're a devotee of Imperial / Double IPAs, it's one of the great values among broadly available craft ales.

4.75/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Probably my favorite beer/ale of all-time. That's a bold statement, and I rarely like to make statements that strong, BUT this is just a superior IPA. It has everything: color, smell, mouthfeel, taste, and a high ABV to boot. It's so smooth and delicious that you won't even notice the 9% abv. But, be careful...it is there!

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Let me start off by saying that I am not a huge fan of Dogfish even though I grew up minutes from the brewery and Sam is a family friend. After a 5 year hiatus from DFH beers after a bad night on Raison D'etre, I tried a My Antonia at Stingray's in Rehoboth and decided to reintroduce my palate to DFH. I didn't get a chance to sample 90 at the brewery(120 was available, so duh), so I picked up a 4-pack.

Poured in to a Snifter from the bottle as recommended. Thick, white, foamy head, leaves legs and a cap throughout the glass. Perfectly clear golden amber with some medium size carbonation bubbles rising from the center. No haze. Perfect.

Aroma is a super subdued IIPA. Fruity, along the lines of a big fruity white wine, resiny/dried herb hop character with a big, sweet, bready/toast malt backbone with a bit of booze. Got dock it some points for not being super aromatic, but nearly perfect.

Smooth bitterness, sweet caramel, warming alcohol. Nice and sticky mouthfeel from the hops, with a bit of spiciness. Medium-full bodied from the malt with a nice sweetness and malt character in the middle, and the alcohol coming in at the end to dry up and balance everything out.

3.84/5  rDev -10.3%

This is a good IPA, yet it doesn't follow the trend of most breweries.

Pours a nice yellow beer. Little carbonation formed. Smell doesn't have strong hops, only a faint amount. Taste is more like a regular ale. There is no bitterness to this beer. There is no cloudiness to this beer either. I guess since this beer is bottle conditioned, they decided to call it an IPA. Other than that, this is just another ale.

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery