90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I brought a four-pack home from Denver and was really looking forward to this beer. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd expected. But, for me, that's oftentimes the case with a DIPA--when they crank up the caramelly malt, it sends my diacetyl sensers into overdrive, and the beer ends up tasting green. But that's just me; I don't care for strong caramel flavors in beer. Anyway, here's my overall impression:

A: Beautiful, clear orange/amber coloring with a nice white head that leaves a ring and patchy covering all the way to the last sip. Very inviting.

S: Sweet and grassy. Minimal citrus, lots of malt.

T: If I ignore the powerful caramel malt flavors, I still find myself wishing for a little more kick from the hops. What I pick up instead is a little grassiness (which I like) but not much spice or citrus, let alone serious bitterness (which I doubly like). It's not a hop bomb, by any means, more of a hop-enhanced malt bomb that focuses on flavors I don't care for. However, in judging this beer, I know the malt flavors are spot on for what many people like--think Deschutes Immersion IPA (not a double, but certainly a malt forward IPA) and you'll know what I mean. In the end, it's just too sweet and caramelly for my taste. That shouldn't necessarily be the defining characteristic when I rate this beer--it's just my particular taste--but still ...

M: Perfect carbonation (it helps cut the caramel) but a little sticky and sweet, which is also the predominant aftertaste, along with a little grass from the hops. Medium bodied, I guess, mostly due to the sweet caramel. Nothing special.

O: Not my cup of tea, but probably pretty good for the style, or so I hear. I'll try another in a few days and see what I think then. In the meantime, maybe I'll go buy a six-pack of Two-Hearted Ale.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery