2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 10,501 | Reviews: 3,474 | Show All Ratings:
brewnut11

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Taps out as a copper color with a tint of orange. The aroma of hops is amazing and calls out for you to take a drink. It has a nice hops bite with great flavor and is well balanced. Kind of spicy and a touch salty. There is a lot of hop punch but it is very well balanced by the malt. Seemed to have a little more carbonation than most IPA's. I went to a bar that had 50 beers on tap, once I tried 90 minute, I never went to another beer. This is the best beer I have ever tasted to date.

07-23-2004 00:26:36 | More by brewnut11
RenoZymurgist

Nevada

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured a clear orange with lively carbonation. The aroma had a very strong hop presence which reminded me of pine trees a little bit which i enjoyed a lot, you could smell the beer as soon as you opened the bottle. The flavor had a strong bitterness in the beginning with a sweet malt background which segued into a warming finish and a lingering hop flavor. This double IPA is better when it is warmer as the hops become more rounded and the beer balances a lot more. I got a bottle for $6 thanks to my local homebrew store.

07-20-2004 05:42:04 | More by RenoZymurgist
sacfly

Maryland

4.88/5  rDev +14%

Clear. A light amber color with a slight orange tint. Medium, tan bubbles. Nice head. Lingers much longer than the 60 minute. Smell is malty, but you can still sense the hops. Nice body, especially for the 9% ABV.

Taste starts malty, soon transitions into a lot of hops. Perfectly balanced malt/hop taste. Somewhat dry finish (good!). If I was to drink one beer in a night, this would be it. A perfect America Double IPA. The only one that comes close to this (that I have had) is Rouge’s I2PA. Somewhat expensive, but worth every penny and not nearly the price of the I2PA. Be very careful with this beer as it goes down very easy and the alcohol will catch up with you quickly. Don’t get me wrong, the alcohol is detectable, but I wouldn’t guess 9% from the taste.

07-20-2004 02:29:09 | More by sacfly
tjthresh

Indiana

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Crystal clear. Dark golden to light amber. Big, foamy, off white, everlasting head. Very tiny bubbles from bottom to top.

I get some aroma that I just don't have the words for. Some citrus. Most beer has the citrus though. I can say that the aroma is very robust. Its like nothing like I've ever smelt. Its a good thing.

Malty Malty Malty balances the Hoppy Hoppy Hoppy very well. A bit more alcohol than I would like to taste.

Very full bodied. Not a lot of bubbles rolling over the tounge.

Pretty good. I could see myself drinking 3 or 4 of these and falling on my face when I get up.

07-12-2004 21:30:16 | More by tjthresh
Rumrunner

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

Pint glass at Lucky Baldwin's IPA festival.

Pours a very nice medium dense amber color. Small white head with decent lacing. A good strong hop scent. A sappy resin, citrus and a minor malt in the background make up the rest of the scents.

A huge bitter hop bite is the first flavor. It has a nice juicy sweet citrus flavor mixed in to the middle. This makes the drinker want to drink it quick. The flavors all join well together except for the finish. This is the reason I cannot rank this IPA with superb numbers. It is a fine IPA but the finish is very unpleasant. It leaves a deep ash and poorly burnt toasted quality on the palate at the end. These not so tasty flavors linger much too long. It was quite a shame as I was really looking forward to this IPA. It is very hard to find in California on a regular basis.

It drinks very easy. Mouthfeel has a stickyness to it that is quite unusual. The feel of the IPA lingers after being swallowed. The high alcohol is well hidden and there is no burn or flavor from it, so it is a neutral after thought.

All in all, I thought this to be a good double IPA but a bit overrated in my personal opinion.

07-11-2004 06:30:19 | More by Rumrunner
ken3c

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

At $3 per 12oz bottle it seemed a little steep. I'm really glad I buckled down and got a couple. I'll get more and keep my eye out for bargains.

A deep orangey color pours clear but with some thickness. I nice head comes up and eventually settles down to a film of suds. It sticks to the glass sparingly.

A thick complex of smells. Ripe fruits, grasses, and others.

Taste is more thickness. Wonderfully strong blend of bitterness and sweetness.

Feels bubbly. Medium to full bodied. Did I mention thick?

Very drinkable. I could have continued drinking the other one but I think I'll save it for tomorrow.

07-11-2004 04:32:03 | More by ken3c
Hibernator

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Served this 12 oz bottle in a pint glass. Packaged in date was notched for June....fresh.

The color was somewhere between an orange/bronze. Carbonation bubbles were present. Very nice 1 inch head.

Smell was appealing with juicy hop oils present. Whiifs of citrus fruit. This is an "imperial pale ale that features a single, constant 90-minute hop addition" and it does not disappoint.

The taste of this double IPA is really enjoyable. Splendid mix of sweetness and fruit-like overtones with serious hop bite. Excellent orange citrus profile. The 9.0 % ABV is masked extremely well.

Check this beer out if you are a fan of strong IPA's. It's another winner from this craft brewery out of Delaware.

07-09-2004 23:48:26 | More by Hibernator
Sixpack595

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

A very well done Double IPA. For being such a highly hopped beer it was very drinkable. The huge hop aroma and flavor is grassy and piny. Malt is strong enough to keep the massed hops in line. Mouthfeel is oily and thick, but not offensive at all. I'm surprised at how balanced such a one dimesional beer can be. Did that make any sense? If not blame the 9%, it sure had me fooled.

07-02-2004 08:47:34 | More by Sixpack595
Beersignal

Quebec (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev 0%

What a stunning brew! Full on amber colour, crystal clear, and adorned with an off white but somewhat elusive head. Wonderful colour and bead to contemplate and...

...Oh so seductive to smell. Complexity of malt, fruit and hops mingle up front and are followed by notes of honey and maple sap. Slight hints of oak poke through in the finish.

This beer is curvaceous! Beautifully round body, and fleshy texture
usher in a malty, mildly sweet palate that exhibits notes of honey and hops. A powerful bitterness lingers in the finish.

It's called an imperial pale ale, but this beer has all the attributes to be one of the finest barleywines I have had the pleasure to taste. I'm surprised no one has pegged it as such.

07-01-2004 06:36:17 | More by Beersignal
marburg

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

My fiancee was embarassed to go out with me after drinking this; I had hop leafs stuck in my teeth like spinach.

Then I woke up.

Seriously, though, I don't know whether this is the best -- or one of the best -- Imperial IPAs I've ever had or if it's simply an overzealous exploration of the use of hops en masse. Many of them are pleasurable beers, and judging them on their level of excellence compared to their own objectives, they're superb -- especially this one.

Oily, hair gel look to it. Nice lacing. Vibrant looking with a lively aroma. Hoppy to say the least -- some citric fruit, but this is primarily grass and sappy pine cones rolled in pine needles and dipped in Pine-sol. The hop flavor is displayed like a stuffed moose head for all the world to see. Coats the mouth with bitter, hoppy, potent oiliness but doesn't let you forget where this is coming from: Dried out malty flavor and carbonation combines to make this a fairly effervescent, refreshing beer despite it's high abv and insane hop content. Alcohol is obscured by the dryness and the bitterness. Whew.

06-30-2004 16:12:23 | More by marburg
MuddyFeet

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

This was on-tap via a "Randall." I learned about this great fresh hop delivering contraption this past spring at the BA Festival in Boston. I am jealous of the bloke that won it in the raffle. This beer was quite good after being Randallized. It poured a dark, dirty amber in color, with little head. The hops were fresh and crisp and did a great job of covering up the alcohol taste. Without the Randall I think the alcohol might be slightly to noticeable to really enjoy this beer. It was a great sipping beer when you have time to sit back and really enjoy a beer. Not to be rushed, but savored.

06-29-2004 01:13:49 | More by MuddyFeet
TagoMago

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, medium/amber gold. The head is very nice with a good retention.

Smell: Spicey, piney hop notes.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Upfront, this beer is incredibly smooth. The initial hop assault on the palate is one of a piney, citrusy, hop character. Malts are present, but overrun by the hops. The alcohol provides a slight warming of the mouth.

Overall: This is a prefect example of an imperial/double IPA - one of the best I've had.

06-26-2004 06:51:41 | More by TagoMago
edchicma

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured a nice dark gold with a very nice head that laced very nicely. Smell was distinctly floralwuth a hint of yeast bouquet..very nice. Taste was sharp with hops of a citrus nite, but malt was there too to relieve some of the harshness. Very nice lightly bitter aftertaste. This is a 9.0 abv brew, so allcohol obviously is there, but not to the point of distraction. Malt presence smoothed out the mouthfeel and made this a nice drinkable brew.

06-25-2004 22:34:39 | More by edchicma
chriscolby

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

12 oz. bottle.

Amber, Slightly hazy. Somewhat light head. Very hoppy aroma, but even through the mountain of hops, some malt aroma pokes through. (My beer shows a fair amount of "wet cardboard" oxidation, but it's been in my refrigerator awhile.) The flavor (and mouthfeel) of this beer is very interesting. Although known as a big hoppy beer (and it is), there is a pile of malt backing up the hops. And, the malt doesn't quit until the hops are almost gone from the aftertaste. It's maltiness early, malt middle and malt late to complement the "hop steamroller" level (and persistence) of hops. This beer is almost like a Scottish ale -- with the sweet edge to the malt -- with a ton of hops added to every nook and cranny. Hmmm . . . big malt behind big hops -- these guys might be on to something. Very full-bodied with a mildly creamy mouthfeel.

In all, this is a very big (9% ABV), very malty and (above all) very hoppy IPA. As you might expect, this beer fills you up fast. Enjoy it when you are only going to have one or two or you'll end up bloated (and likely, hammered -- not that that's a bad thing every once in awhile).

06-10-2004 04:43:26 | More by chriscolby
granger10

Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Wow, I had heard so much about this beer and now am glad to realize that it really did live up to its reputation. Pours a cloudy golden pearlike color with a good sized foaming white head. Lots of bubbles racing to the top. Smell is very citrusy and I definitely feel an alcohol burn on my nose hairs. This beer has a depth of which I have not encountered too many times before. Very, very hoppy yet not too bitter. The malt base is superb. Lots of caramel malts and a somewhat wheaty base. Hops are mainly citrusy but there a variance in the citrus flavors. Alcohol fussels work with the beer and provide more depth and complexity. This is simply a world class brewed beer. Michigan needs to get Dogfish Head!

06-02-2004 12:53:29 | More by granger10
PopeJonPaul

Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured milky amber dirt-brown with a creamy head. Hints of oranges and peaches hiding behind a strong hop aroma. This is a beer of two well-balanced extremes: sweet, sugary fruity alcohol taste juxtaposed (I've been waiting to use that word) with a strong needling hoppy bite that will pop open all your taste buds. They don't cancel each other out, rather they twist your taste buds around so much your tongue tingles like an arm or leg that's just 'waking up' from being asleep for hours - but it goes down silky-smooth, and it's, er, even refreshing. Insane.

Very drinkable, more than 3 will make you slap-happy. Go for it.

06-01-2004 02:44:59 | More by PopeJonPaul
hustlemuscle

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours apricot (now there is a fancy-ass color for you) with a mild white head. Light carbonation.

Strong citrusy hop rush to the nose, with a hint of the piney hops following.

Dang. This stuff beats you over the head and then takes your lunch money. Big piney hops, with a blast of the citrus. It almost cools the mouth, drying it out like cottonmouth. A hint of peach is in there.

Very smooth for the amount and variety of hops present.

After drinking this for a while, I was suprised to see my glass still half full. Make no mistake, this is a big beer, completly different from it's little brother, the equally impressive in it's own way 60 minute IPA.

05-29-2004 03:46:42 | More by hustlemuscle
BrewMan82

Washington

4.28/5  rDev 0%

Pours a cloudy golden color - small white head diminishes instantly. Aroma is intense hops - fruity and citric. The flavor is surprisingly well balanced between very strong hop spicyness and a strong pale malt. This makes for a very drinkable imperial, as no taste or feel overpowers another. Little lacing - mouthfeel is full, chewy and intensely flavorful. Did I mention this brew is intense?

05-28-2004 21:56:02 | More by BrewMan82
MrNuggets

Oregon

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Orange colour full of golden highlights. The small head is a shade away from white and doesn't last long. Subtle hops on the nose, seems to be alot going on in this beer. Taste is full of citrus that impart a very bitter feel. Much stronger malt presence than I've noticed in other imperial IPAs. Silky mouthfeel then I'm left with a lingering bitterness in the back of my mouth. Pretty sure I'll be trying this again!

05-22-2004 01:01:22 | More by MrNuggets
Porkfist

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Beautiful beer, and a surprise. When I first pursed it,, beautiful light copper color with a nice head that lingered. Then I smelled it...I was worried for a minute. Did I just spend $10 on a four pack that was going to be just like the Harpoon IPA? The hops were present, but it reminded me of Harpoon, which I am not fond of. Then I tasted. WOW. Fantastic. Nice hoppines but perfect balance. Felt , as my non-beer drinking wife put it, "creamy"
This will now be a regular in my household. Could drink these all day, but at 9%, I think it would knock me on my ass after a few.

05-22-2004 00:23:24 | More by Porkfist
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

A unique experience from beginning throughout. Citrus aroma. Dark orange color. Bit of lace for attractiveness. Hop attack on tongue and bitterness on palate. Unique mellower finish, after all those bubbles. Very drinkable.
Resampled in March 2005 same ranking, more pine aroma.

05-16-2004 03:24:59 | More by Sammy
nvsblman

Arizona

Courtesy of PSUDREW... Poured a bronze color with about a finger's worth of head. There was surprisingly little hop aroma I thought, what was there had a citrusy note to it. The taste was piney, maybe spruce, with a lingering hop aftertaste. A modest malt background. Medium mouthfeel, just a little creamy.

I'd been looking forward to trying this one, but was surprised how average I thought it was. I thought the 60 Minute was a far superior beer.

05-14-2004 13:54:46 | More by nvsblman
budsboy

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

After getting my greedy hands on as much 60 minute as I could find, I'm really looking forward to this 12 oz. bugger.

Pours crystal clear orange amber with a foamy, rocky white head. I can't wait, I cant' wait.

Smells citrusy, pine, and some smokiness. Smells like hot pine needles.

Taste is big. Really big. No, I mean BIG. Piney and citrusy, with a curious and wonderful smokey quality. Ever bite into a pine cone? I haven't, but if I did, I would hope it would taste like this. Spruce overtones. Hops stick around.

Oily mouthfeel but a full-bodied beer here.

Potent 9 ABV makes this one dangerous because it's so easy to drink ... quickly.

05-09-2004 21:34:04 | More by budsboy
RockyTopHeel

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very clear and golden in color, with a creamy white head that quickly reduces to a nice 5 mm foam that leaves a nice lace on the glass. Noticeably sweet and hoppy aroma previews a nicely balanced blend of citrus, hops, and alcohol that is quite pleasing to my taste buds. More prevalent malts than other beers of the same style, bringing a nice (and rare) balance to a highly-hopped beer.

This isn't the single best IPA or double IPA I've ever had, but it's among a very elite handful. Great stuff.

05-09-2004 18:16:52 | More by RockyTopHeel
kegerator

Maryland

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

very nice beer.
poured out a nice amber, orangish color with a nice head that reduces rapidly
smell: hops, very similar smell to that of 60 minute (grassy, piney, bitter, but not as strong
taste:first hit of hops is rather smooth with some grass and pine notes a little backdrop of sugar, quite nice, then hits with a bigger hop thats more bitter
overall it's a very drinkable beer, I liked it but I'm not sure how often I would spend the $9 on a 4 pack...

05-06-2004 13:09:47 | More by kegerator