Join our email list →

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,780 | Hads: 14,902
4.3/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle that I acquired while visiting the family in Tampa, FL, over the 2005 winter holidays.

Pours a perfect copper and makes a very nice white head, has superb retention and makes a very good ammount of Belgian lacing on my glass. Very sweet, floral hop fragrance strong notes of citrus and pine. Explosion of hops across the tongue, sweet green raisins, candied citrus fruit, congnac, huge complexity yet very balanced between the hops and sweet caramel malts. Medium to full bodied, a bit syrupy as it goes down, finishes with a sticky, warming alcoholic bite. Aside from the thick palate, this is really a great beer. I am quite fond of the Dogfish yeast strain, it makes for a number of interesting flavors. I'm glad I brought back a whole lot of this stuff from my trip.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

pours a very deep copper with a lacy head.
the hop aroma lofts its so concentrated, there is some alcohol aroma and carmelized malt.
the flavor of hops with a bitterness just right, the malt is very carmelized, citrus, unidentifed spiciness.
the mouthfeel is a little thick, has a very full body.
beer is very drinkable, but i most enjoy it on cold nights.

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a glowing sunshine golf with a tight, fizzy head which leaves lots of lacing. Nose is of course hoppy with lots of piney scents, although there is more malt than expected in the background. Taste was hoppy but less so than expected, not quite the oily-juicy texture I get from a Ruination...this is still delicious but i feel it is just slighty lesser than Ruination for the style.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

12 oz bottle with an 11/10/05 bottled on date.

Not an enormous head - but one with plenty of beautiful lacing. Rings and rings abound. Color is a little lighter than what you'd expect from this syle. I'll chalk it up to the hops.

The nose is perfect. Fresh and juicy - the hop oils really jump out, with a touch of sweetness hovering.

I love the taste of this beer. The hops - the malts. It's near ideal. The kicked up bitterness is tempered ever so slightly by the sweet grainy malts. Near perfect in the mouth.

They define this at 9%. It does not come across that way while drinking - but you come to believe it soon after. A highly drinkable powerlode.

Musings: I am not a huge Dogfish fan. I think some of their brews are overrated. I drank this new bottling because I couldn't resist. I'll keep a few in the dark for another year or so and see what happens. I can't imagine the tastes can get any better. A highly enjoyable APA that bests Ruination IMHO.

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%

Got this on tap at my local bar. The initial pint that i got was too cold because they gave it to me in a frozen mug so my initial taste was a little off. But after a couple of them i got a good feel for it. It poured out a deep orange color, unfortuantley not much of a head because of the way the barkeep poured it. A very piney, hoppy smell. First sip is bitter to the tounge but not overpowering. Very crisp. Can definatley put a couple of these down and enjoy every one.

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

This is one of the best high ABV beers I've had since N.C. popped the cap. Had 90 min. on tap yesterday at the Olde Hickory Taproom. It was serverd in a Chimay chalice. Reveiw from notes.

The beer had a somewhat cloudy appearance to it. The color was a orangish burgundy shade. The smell was very fruity. The head lasted as long as the beer did. The taste was of hops but not as much as you would think. There was another taste thrown in. Odd as it may sound, this beer had hints of a bannanna milkshake in there too. The alcohol is very well hidden in this brew. The mouthfeel is good considering the high ABV. Drinkability is good for one or two glasses but nothing beyond that. This is not a session beer. I will have this again on occasion.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. Crystal clear golden orange hue with dense off-white head. Nose is massive citrus blossom and sweet caramelly malts. The taste reveals a certain even-handedness of gigantic malts and orange/grapefruit hoppiness, but there's something missing. I think it's that there's no "middle" flavor, specifically the rounded peach fruitiness that can really pull everything together in such a big IPA. This isn't a bitter hop monster a la Ruination, but the citric flavor is still there. Even so, there's a thick crystal malt sweetness that just becomes more cloying as the bottle progresses. Medium thick body, slick alcoholic and syrupy mouthfeel. I used to think this was amazing, and I'm not sure whether it's the beer or my palate that has changed. In any case, I can think of a few other DIPAs that I'd rather be drinking. Not bad, but certainly far from astounding.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Minimally cloudy with an orange-amber hue, this brew pours with only a bit of foam yet moderate carbonation bubbling to the surface. I can smell a sugary sweetness with plenty of hops. The flavor is a nice balance- a decent amount of sweet brown sugary malt, with a nice grassy bitterness to follow it up. After a few drinks the bitter comes on even stronger and lingers for quite awhile. It's got a smooth, medium body with adequate carbonation. This beer goes down nicely and hides the 9% alcohol content well.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy orange, medium off white head forms with some thick lace and nice legs. Smell is pine, caramel, chocolate, citrus, floral, and some alcohol, super hops. Taste is caramel, wicked pine, floral, and a bitter finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, low carbonation, alcohol warmth and super smooth. This one has smoothed out because its been sitting around since last february. It has lost some hops but I still have my memories of it before, wicked DIPA.

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

I decided to treat myself and splurge on a four pack. Very expensive- 13.99 for this four pack. Might I say the most expensive American beer I have bought. Regardless, I intended to enjoy this. I did. What a wonderful brew. The hop bitterness bites first, but a nice citrus quality emerges aftger a few sips, especially as is mellows in the glass and the temperature rises. For such a strong beer, it was surprisingly mellow, and well balanced. It goes down easily and is warming. The alcohol content can catch up on you. I really love this beer. If it were not for the price, I would always have some on hand.

3.51/5  rDev -17.2%

I bought a 12oz bottle for $2.79 hoping that it would be even better than the 60 minute I had on draft earlier in the year. I think the fridge was a little too cold because when I first poured it the amber nectar had very little head, but as I drank the head got bigger and bigger. I assume this was down to warming. I thought the label was unusually fetching (it was different from the one currently pictured here). There was no freshness date, but since the brewer's website says that this beer ages well I suppose that isn't a big issue.

I was expecting to be knocked flat by a big citrus or pine smell, but all I could make out (and this didn't change much as the beer warmed) was sweet maltiness with a hint of treacle.

The malt I smelled turned out to be copious and rather biscuity in nature. Alcohol was very apparent although not in an offensive way. There were some hops (presumably a lot of them, but that really wasn't apparent) chugging away in the background like a workmanlike rhythm section, but they never took control in the manner I expect from the finest IPA's.

This is a good beer and I'm glad I bought it (the woman in front of me at Whole Foods remarked that it must be good presumably because of the price), but I actually prefer the 60 minute IPA, a less filling beer with a much better flavour.

4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful lusterous orange color with a nice white head that shrinks to an attractive sheet. Aroma is potent resinous hops - some juicy citrus, oily - wonderful. Taste is outstanding - powerful citrus and piney hops that coat the tongue in flavor without being overly bitter. Well balanced for the style. Delicious, smooth, and full bodied with a bit of an alcoholic zing in the finish. Very effortless drinking for 9% abv.

THE east coast double IPA. This is a fantastic beer.

4.26/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured a nice amber with almost no head to speak of.

Smells of hops, caramel, and maybe toffee. Beautiful bittersweet aroma.

Tastes wonderful. The first time I tried this beer about 4 months ago my palate wasnt ready for double IPAs. I didnt enjoy it much. After months of drinking good beer and developing my taste for it, I have come to really appreciate this beer. 60 minute is no longer my favorite DFH brew. Great hoppiness, followed/mixed with an awesome sweetness that reminds me of caramel. Citrus is playing in the background. Creamy with great balance. The 9% ABV is virtually undetectable. Finishes sweet and dry. What a great beer.

Mouthfeel is great. Not overly carbonated. Soft and almost buttery feel, with hop oiliness involved in there.

Excellent drinkability. Deserving of its rating, this is one of the best DIPAs in the U.S.. Delicious indeed. Nectar is the only way to describe it.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Mmmm boy.... what a treat!

Pours out a b-e-a-utiful clean amberish orange color. Looks like just a slight haze, I love to look at this through the light. looks so rich. thick whitish/tan head. TONS of lacing in this one.

Smell: immediate hop as i open the beer. A creamy orange citrus is present. this beer gives me a warmig sensation as i sniff it- imo from the hops and alcohol. (i didnt think the alcohol would be as present)

Taste: I think by saying hoppy would be 1. understood, and 2. one hell of an understatement. crap load of hops. Despite that, i really liked the malts in this one, stated that i has a ridiculous amount of english two-row barley. a great balance. some citrus goodness to it. gives it an extra kick. It is very creamy... the alcohol helps with this effect and gives it quite a warmth.

Mouthfeel: nice. I like the creamyness and chewiness to it, but still has a slick quality to it as i swallow. Medium carbonation. certainly deadens my tongue after each sip. I think after this beer i could drink horse blood and not notice a taste. (maybe not)

Overall such a great beer. I wish i could get this locally. seems like a perfect beer for any cold weather, can take place of any winter warmer or even barleywine, if you can handle the hops.

3.18/5  rDev -25%

Pours a very clear copper. The off-white two finger head is dense and creamy, holds up extremely well and leaves patches of sticky lace. The aromas of american hops are strong; citrus and grass with sweet malt and some fusels becoming more apparent as the head settles to a thin cap. Apple and orange esters visciously smacks your tastebuds first, then mellows out to a soft dark wheat flavor. Grassy hops then dominate the semi-dry aftertaste but never balance out the taste which is more overwhelmingly sweet than pleasently bitter. The body is medium and the tiny rushing carbonation tries to smooth the mouthfeel but the finish is almost more residual sweet than dry and bitter. Still a decent brew, but I can't say the D.I.P.A. style was well represented.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

Once agian, this is a prime example of one of my favs that I have yet to really rate objectively. So here is my attempt to be as objective as possible. A small white head sits atop this beautiful amber body. When it was brought to my table at the Flying Saucer in Raleigh, NC, I could smell it from several feet away. The retention was excellent, as was the lacing.
Floral nose all the way. Hops and more hope, some serious sweet malts as well. If its possible to have a bitter smell, it has it.
The taste was about the same, extremely intense hop floralness, malt and some sweet undertones. This is not for the faint of heart. This is an IPA lovers beer, but I do excourage anyone curious to at least give it a try. Dogfish head most certainly knows what they're doing.

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

For someone who loves a DIPA, I was a little disappointed, but this is not a bad beer. Probably a bit too malty and heavy for me. Pours a clear amber color, looks deceptively light. Hop aroma is great; like sweet berries and pine. Flavor is smooth, maple syrupy, and caramely witha touch of brandy. Mouthfeel is a little thick, syrupy.

3.62/5  rDev -14.6%

This brew pours with the look of a weak iced tea with a modest cream-colored head. The head shrinks fastly until it gets to the long lasting layer that provides lacing. The smell consists of floral aromas along with pungent fruit, traces of pine essence, and a baked biscuit background. I keep backing off, so I can re-introduce the smell to my brain over and over. Very nice! The taste is more pronouced citrus fruit and pine that slowly reveals the malty backbone of fresh baked bread. This is a medium bodied beer that finishes bitter dry.

Notes: While the smell makes my mouth water, the citrus/piney taste wash it away. A very solid beer, but the 60 Minute is more for me.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Truly one of the select few beers I'd label 'delicious' - a dangerously drinkable brew from good ol' Dogfish. The very label intrigued me.... I would have gotten it long before reading it's lavish praise on BA, had my store carried it before last week, from the little bit of description on the front ("What you have here...").

It looked a little darker than most IPA's, a light ruby color, filtered to a clear and rich hue. A good bit of pearly white head at first, diminishes after about a minute to a nice thin froth that sticks at the side for a bit of decent lacing.

Smells like, well, hops. Reminds me of something someone said, negatively, about an IPA I made em try to the extent of, '...this smells like it could take the paint off the side of a barn'. Very sharp, tangy hop smell.

The taste is what the smell would lead you to expect, and much more. Spicy citrus and floral hops immediately ignite the tongue after the first taste, although it levels off after a moment to a semibitter dryness (lovely) after a few. The subtle malts become more apparent as you go along, providing a great counterbalance to the hop avalanche that is the essence of every sip. Easily poundable, it's very easy to let the ABV slip your mind and indulge in way too many. I myself drank my entire $9.00 four-pack the first night I tried 'em.

The mouthfeel is far from how thin most IPAs are, perhaps leaning towards medium-bodied. The malts provide a slight chewiness, which I like most about this IPA. Great feel to the mouth.

All in all a colossally drinkable beer. Absolutely friggin delicious, if you haven't tried it, please add it to your agenda. I am certainly not a hophead at this point in my career, but I found it marvelous.

Well this is everyhting that a DIPA should be. The color is slightly dark amber color and gives up a white head that is hanging out. Smell is full of raw hops and has a hint of alcohol to mingle with the big malt sweetness sticking out. Wonderfully balacned with the emphasis on the hops but still enough from the caramel maltyness and alcohol to make this one a good drinker and a constant farvorite from the days of the 750ml bottles.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

16.9 oz draft served in a standard pint glass - $3.75

This beer poured a dark honey color with one inch of heavy white foam. My nose was filled with strong scents of hops, grapefruit and alcohol, with a slight hint of candy sugar. Very complex taste dominated by pleasantly bitter hops and alcohol. The finish is dry and clean with an aftertaste reminiscent of apple cider. Fantastic DIPA.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

I don't know what it is about it, but I can't get enough of this beer. Besides the 90, I have tried both the 60 and the 120 minute versions numerous times, but the 90 remains my favorite.

The first thing I ever noticed about this beer was it's delicious aroma. It has a sweet floral smell that is accentuated by a citris and hops, together, creating a unique aroma that is unmatched in my opinion.

The taste is just as dynamic. The extra alcohol in this IPA help balance the bitterness of hops, giving a unique fruity flavor that you don't normally find in highly hopped beer. It is not over done, however, which is what I feel about the 120.

Not only is this my favorite IPA, I would rank it in my top 5 favorite brews (at least at the moment) Unfortunately, however, I find it tastes much better on draught, but it is a rare find. I usually stick to buying the 4 packs.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

This is an exceptional IPA. From the moment you open it until the last sip this is one huge hop bomb, albeit a very balanced one.

Appearance is great. Pours a very clean amber color with about a one finger head that last until mid glass. Lace all the way down the glass.

Smell is very floral with citrus notes; grapefruit and bitter orange.

Taste is great. Malty balance up front with a nice bitter finish. However this one doesn't tweak the sides of my tongue like other IPAs or DIPAs tend to do. The alcohol is almost unoticable.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and oily. Carbonation doesn't bite and there is no lingering bitterness in the back of your throat.

This is a very drinkable DIPA to a fault. It will get you smashed if you don't pace yourself with this one. That in itself is hard because it is so good and leaves you wanting more.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

There should be a seperate serving type; "Randallized", as its a completely different beast.

This is the hop-head's holy grain. I wasn't nerdly enough to ask what variety of hop was used as the server didn't know what Randall was.

Minty; liquid fiery chlorropyhlic caramel pine forest, too soothing to be true. Somehow quenches the beer fire within.

All hop burps become sort of incomplete after this one destroys the memory from your tongue, taste buds melted in hop-narcosis.

And satiated.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Well, this puppy pours looking more like an IPA rather than an IIPA, but that's not all bad -- I like the faint brown look in a beer. It smells, well, like hops and alcohol, which is a great freakin' smell.
The mouthfeel is thick and rich, niiiice. Yeah, malty like I expect a Dogfishhead to be, but not pixie-stick level like the 120 minute IPA. It's been a while since I've had this puppy and it still manages to statisfy.
Good beer.