Microbrew Invitational

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Reviews: 3,811 | Ratings: 15,097
4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Have had this in bottles several times and on tap twice now at "Moan and Dove", and at "My Place" last night.
Beatiful orange amber color, clear , with a foamy tan head, which lowers to a film ,but stays.
Smells really nice; like a pineapple plantation thats next to a Christmas tree farm, hops are in your nose , bigtime, but also a little alcohol.
Tastes great....intense hop flavor which has almost no bitterness at first , alcohol , and sugar( just the right amount of both)...with a nice semi dry finish with some hop bitters coming through ...almost as an aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is nice ..medium to heavy...near perfect with the taste, low to medium carbonation.
Damn this is good stuff!
Drinkable...well , maybe have 2...but high ABV...??
60 min DFH is always in my fridge...always goes with food for me..but this 90 min is up a few notches into the ...sit , sip,smell, and ponder how great it is ...and every few minutes say..."Damn this is good stuff !!" to anyone who'll listen.
I've tasted some great DIPAs ...for me , this one is IT.

4.45/5  rDev +5%

This beer holds a special place in my heart as the drink that turned me on to just how good beer could be. I was in Denver, looking for a bottle of wine, and spotted the Dogfish selection. Recalling an unqualified recommendation I'd read online, I picked up a four pack. A year later, my love affair with micro-brews in general and the Dogfish Head Brewery in particular continues. Anytime I have this beer it brings back memories of that first wonderful glass.

Poured from a bottle into my Chimay goblet -- why not, I figured. First impression of this light amber colored beer is the bubbles; there are tons. They subside after a few minutes, but still provide enough bubbliciousness (sp?) to keep the head from disappearing. Lacing is spotty.

Smells like hops. Y'know, that grapefruit and slightly piney, grassy, sweet scent. This beer makes no attempt to hide what you're about to taste. Hops and lots of 'em.

Taste? Great! DFH 90 minute is an amazingly hoppy, smooth and carbonated beer. There's an initial hops rush, and a tingly, bubbly effervescence (I love using that word), followed by a light malt taste that fills the mouth. Finishes dry and warm, that's the 9% saying hello.

Mouthfeel is bubbly, smooth, coating, and dry. Very smooth in fact, this one almost jumps down your throat.

Drinkable? 9% aside, yes. I mean, it's not a "session" beer, but neither is so filling as to preclude you having another.

Bottom line, this is a hoppy, smooth beer and a fantastic Double IPA. Dogfish Head again shows why they're one of the top micros in the US.
I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't like this beer. Drink if possible.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

There's nothing quite like a great craft beer from its proper pint glass - a lovely rounded contraption with a heavy base from DFH.

This pours a nice clear mahogany amber totally full of rising bubbles with a thick, rocky, gorgeous head that clings to the glass in total walls of white lacing. Yum yum yum. Very appealing.

It's hard to discern any malt prescence in the scent other than the fact that the scent is full and boisterous; The nose is all hop, hop all the way, to the core; The interesting thing to me is that the hop aromas in this are like nothing I've experienced so far; Instead of being pungently tangy and spicy like grapefruit or pine, the hops in the smell are round, sleek, with a gentle zing and a smooth, whiskeylike burned brown sugar quality.

Wow, wow, what a flavor - this is definitely a DIPA in the way it's built, but what comes out at the end of the build is like nothing I've tried so far. In the words of my roommate, it's juicy and mellow, and I totally agree. I think the defining thing about the hops in this beer is that they are oily, oily, oily. They have a kind of quick warm, caustic quality, but they quickly settle to their resounding qualities of mellow, sleek, and cool. Very hard to describe, but totally unique and delicious.

The mouthfeel is so oily it's crazy. The carbonation is hard to notice because the body is so heavy and wonderfully, obscenely slick. I love it.

For a double IPA, this is not as brutal and aggressive as most; But a DIPA it most definitely is. Wow, what a beer. I see how it's earned the accolates it's ammassed so far.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a clear dark orange ale with a good tan colored head.

Smell is sweet and very heavy on the hop scent. Sharp bitter scent of eucalyptus leaf with menthol, pine, citrus, mint, along with some black pepper riding the alcohol fumes.

Taste is sweet with a very strong hop flavor from the very first sip. Strong bitter oranges are the first flavor that I notice along with a metallic after taste from over stimulated taste bud nerves. After the initial shock you can pick out more individual flavors. Good flavors of base woodiness with spicy and fruity highlights. An interesting beer where the tart and bitter hit your taste buds first with a sweeter finish. Borderline harshness here but not really just really ballsy.

Mouthfeel is good.

A very tasty and drinkable beer in the super IPA Class. I can't give this a 5 rating though because I have had Three Floyds Dreadnaught that defines what a "5" IPA really tastes like.

4.73/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my delerium tremens tulip. This is a translucent amber/orange with almost no head and no visible carbonation coming up through the beer. Very light white film on top with really tiny bubbles against the side of the glass look like they're gonna lace nicely. 5 minutes later, yeah, it sure does lace nicely. Pretty, tiny, uniform bubbles easy to make out in the lacing

Smell is almost all citrus to me at first with a delicate spiciness in the background and piney hops. That "spiciness" might be a slight burn of alcohol in my nose. Smells clean.

I fucking love the taste of this. Everything that was in the aroma is in the flavor, but unbelievably perfectly balanced. This and Stoudt's Double IPA are my 2 favorites of the style. This is just plain outstanding and tasty.

Mouthfeel is just about perfect to me, really thick and creamy. Those tiny bubbles on the side of the glass were a sure sign of what was to come.

It's a double IPA, so you aren't going to session with this. But this is one of my favorite beers. I don't think you could disagree if you're a fan of this style of beer. Dogfish Head is my favorite brewery because of this, the WWS and the 120 minute. Big, nearly perfect beers, and this is no exception.

4.07/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Pours a clear red-orange with a one inch head that slowly diminishes. Lacing is ok. The smell is citrusy, oily hops that don't dominate like I would have expected them to. There are hints of grain bread in the background. Taste is mild hops that hit first with a weird white bread flavor malt afterwards that finishes with a hint of piney hops. This is not nearly as hoppy as most IPAs I've had recently. The carbonation is perfect and the beer goes down smooth. I would like to try this again. It is a good beer, though it is not what I would turn to if I was dying for some hops. For 9% alcohol, you sure could drink alot of this...

4.89/5  rDev +15.3%

12 oz. bottle into my oversized wine glass.

Appearance: The weakest part about this beer in a glass for sure, unless there's something wrong with my glass. Head fades quickly and doesn't build as it should, the lacing's not as I would've wanted or expected (but it's still there in blots as I drink) and I thought the slightly hazy brown / red / orange color would be darker. Still, it looks pretty good, and I think I was petitioning for too much, as it's been a while since I had the brew on tap.

Smell: Possibly the most perfect IPA aroma around. Intense, balanced, aromatic, slightly heart-stopping, and beyond a perfume. Tons of hops, TONS of hops. And what breaks it down a bit is the excellently balanced malts; without that the aroma would go to quite possibly awful places. This is perfection.

Taste: So much balance, so much taste, so much of a great finish. A perfect balance between the malts, quelling the insanity of the hops, providing not only a fantastic finish and a lingering field of flowers on the tongue, but also a great experience from to-the-mouth to go-again. This is not only not easy, but is, here, done how it's supposed to be done. And there's a beautiful dryness, to boot.

Mouthfeel: Thick, slightly velvety, and finishes with the right amount of carbonation to make it work well in the mouth.

Drinkability: If you haven't already, you need to try this. It's been a year since I had it on tap, but clearly I need to have it on tap again. From the bottled version comes this review. Maybe DFH's best beer, also. Near perfection in a bottle, especially with such a style that's not the easiest to squeak beauty out of much of the time.

Poured it out of the bottle, with minimal head. The appearance had a copperish color to it. In terms of smell, not quite strong. A bit hoppy but subtle. Taste was very surprising. A bit fruity but combined well with the hops. As soon as I drank it, the beer bounced around. Going down, it left a strong but sweet flavor. It fills up the belly fast, so I could only have 2 at most. The best time of the year to have it is in the summertime. It has that summertime feel and taste to it.

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle, date marked.

Appearance: Golden body with deep amber hues. White frothy head settles to about 3/4 of an inch with rising carbonation. Lacing is ridiculous.

Smell: Grassy pines with slight floral touches and drifting notes of orange peel backed up with grounded biscuit tones.

Taste: Slick oil pertrudes from the pugnant hops. Fantastic use of pine and grassy hops. Zesty citrus undertones are perfectly layered into a lovely body of slightly biscuity malts. But this one is all about the hops. Slight touch of grapefruit surrounded by floral and earth ridden hops levels of and holds for quite some time.

Mouthfeel: Absolutly smooth, perfect level of carbonation.

Notes: Certainly another prime example of why DFH is a great innovative brewery. Building off their 60 minute IPA this one is a great brew for hop heads. At 9% the alcohol is so well hidden, almost unnoticable, this could certainly sneak up on you, but absolutly in a good way.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours a very clear, amber with crimson inflections. A rich, creamy head with off-white tones crowns this inviting selection. The head retains well, and lace coats the glass throughout.

Smell: Abundant floral hops, with some sweet nectar punching through. Toasted barley interjects itself to create a pleasing milieu.

Taste: Delicious floral hops that are ever so juicy. Hardly bitter, and teasingly sweet. Excellent balance, with hops nicely countered with rich barley malt. Some molasses and pear rind are detectable.

Mouthfeel: Wonderfully creamy and full bodied for a double IPA. Great sensations on the palate with light bitterness.

Drinkability: Very tasty, sensually pleasing, and thoroughly satisfying. The taste encourages having one after another. A bit filling, but negligible. Great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

a - Orange, amber color. Not a lot of head which you would probably expect from the alcohol content. Plenty of lacing down the sides of the glass.

s - Fruity, spicy Just enough aroma, not too much as to be cloying

t - Sweet malty strong taste of hops. Very good balance.

m - Slick, oily with a light carbonation

d - Goes down well, too well. I was trying to review several of the 'on taps' but I kept coming back to this one. Nothing was better all night. The last one I drank was as good as the first.

Have you ever noticed that if you drink some beers (that you previously reviewed positively) after another superior beer, they taste like crap? 90 minute can be consumed first middle or last and it's taste holds up very, very well.

3.19/5  rDev -24.8%

This is maybe the sixth or seventh time I've had the 90 minute IPA. In the past I didn't really feel like I had anything new to say about this beer. This time though, something was amiss. Poured a perfect amber with a thick head that took a few minutes to settle. Smell was citrusy and very hoppy as well with lots of floral aromas and somewhat spicy towards the end. Tatse was definetly good but nothing in comparison to the other times I've tried this beer. For one, the malty sweetness that initially made me adore this beer was nearly gone. The hop presence was heightened a bit, but even so, it seemed a bit flat. It started off very earthy and tasty and then just seemed to fall flat on its face with no lingering flavors to speak of. Mouthfeel was medium/light (very uncharacteristic for this beer) making it easy to drink. I don't know if this is a new or just plain old crappy batch, but frankly im missing the old 90 minute. To be honest, it tasted more like the 60 minute then the 90. I'll grab it again, but im praying that it wont be like the batch im drinking now and will be like my good ol' friend 90. Cheers

4.49/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a deep gold, with a moderate to small pale yellow head.

Aroma is full of citrusy hop notes, plus some fruity esters and malty sweetness.

Tastes of citrusy hops up front, with a nick thick maltiness. Hoppy to the end, and a bit of warmth from the alcohol on the finish

An outstanding IPA (Double IPA? IIPA?), and a great way for degenerate hopheads to get their fix.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Rich and thick and tasty. I just finished enjoying two Smuttynose finest Kind IPA's and this bottle jumped out at me as the competition...wrongamundo. This is a different animal entirely. This is a hoppy brew for sure but the grain bill on this beer ensures that the malt character is more than just a fleeting glimpse.. It is ever present and tasty. But at 9% ABV the alcohol is generally MIA in the aroma and taste.

Alas on with the review.

This is the last bottle in the third - "four pack" of this fine brew that I have consumed. Odd that I have not reviewed this outstanding beer before??? Whats up with that???

Appearance is crystal clear - oxidized copper with a generous off - white head that leaves sheets of sticky lace in it's fighting withdrawal. Fades to a persistent layer of head that lasts through the end of consumption ... a long time.

Aroma is fresh green leaves, pine, grapefruit and orange pith. A backbone of swweet malts holds it all together, This is an balanced olfactory experience, not the beat your sinuses senslessness of some hoppy brews - sigh. I am not a hop-head per se but I hhave nad still do richly enjoy a SNPA or Smutty IPA.

Taste has some characteristics of a North American Barley Wine. Very hoppy with a strong malt back-bone - Sierra's Bigfoot 2005 comes to mind. They make an extremely hoppy Barleywine in my humble opinion. Some pine, some iodine, some grapefruit pith and a sweet dose of malt and a bit of bite ...alcohol perhaps???

This is a full-bodied brew with a slick, rich tongue coating mouthfeel that fades slowly. Ths rich, heady brew is a sipper and a rich brew to be savored.

Drinkable? Hell yeah!

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

I finally got my hands on some of this stuff after searching everywhere in Western NC. This beer pours a beautiful orange color, with a slight cloudiness. The aroma is of hops, hops and more hops. The taste is unbelievable, with so many flavors coming through. Hops, grapefruit, lemon zest, spices and malt. This is hands down one of the best double IPA's out there. I just hope that it becomes more available in my neck of the woods. Thanks to Brawleys for holding a 4-pack for me.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

I've been wanting to try this beer for a while so I was ecstatic when I realized my local beverage store got 4 cases of it in.

Rusty red in color with a thick cream colored 2" head. Smells like a fresh bouquet of hops. The taste is very smooth, extremely hoppy, a touch of citrus. Very easy drinking, alcohol doesn't come through at all. This is a very smooth beer loaded with hops. Definitely the best IPA I've ever tasted. You can enjoy this brew anytime of year.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Holy cow, what a beer!!! Thanks to Kinfolks in Manitou Springs for offering this up in bottles. Apparently, I had just missed them having it available on tap. It poured a nice copper color with a one finger head. Picked up some floral aromas. Good citrusy and floral hops with a well balanced maltiness. The ease of drinkability belies the 9% ABV. By far one of the top double IPA's I have ever had. This one tastes so good it could be dangerous if you don't watch out.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

This is my favorite beer hands down. The taste is like picking a handful of hops and just biting into them. Not that I know what that's like, but I'm pretty sure this beer is about as close as I'll ever get to doing that.
This is a thick IPA that left me with a beer-stache by the time I was done. How does that question go..."If you were stuck on a deserted island...." Well, just give me this brew and nothing else on the island and I'm a happy (or should I say hoppy) man!

12oz single, Riley's, hadnt had one of these since summer

appearance: pours a lovely copper-amber, slightly golden, clean and clear, fast forming bubbly beige head...looks quite juicy

smell: a bouquet of citrus...loads of grapefruit, orange, tangerine. a slight hint of pine...definitely a hop monster in the aromas.

taste: juicy and oily. Certainly one of the best DIPA's out there...juicy citrus hops dominate...grapefruit, fresh orange, tangerine, apricot...very sticky. definitely a more piney taste than the aromas would have indicated. sweet malt backbone surely takes the back seat to the juicy/sticky hops

mouthfeel: juicy, oily, sticky...medium bodied, very smooth

drinkability: very very drinkable

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

Bottle Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a good off white fizzy head, excellent lacing on the glass and mostly lasting. Aroma is hoppy with a touch grain cereal. Some dough, perfumes, plum, and alcohol. At first taste this was acidic, then it warmed a bit, it became sweet with a touch of bitterness. Light to medium body with a creamy texture and somewhat lively. This is a great beer with a higher abv, it will knock you for a loop but its a great trip.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

What can I say about the 90 Minute that has not already been said? Big, fruity, piney hops nose. Robust bitterness that doesn't quit, full and juicy hop flavors. The malt in this baby is a little more prominent than many of the other DIPAs out there, lending a bit more body as well as depth and balance, but make no mistake, this beer is meant to please the hopheads among us, and please us it does!

On tap or bottled, this is equally delicious, and I wish I kept it on hand more often.

2.78/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This was my first experience with a 90 minute and I'm starting to worry that I got an old bottle as there wasn't much of a hoppiness to it and it is supposed to be a DIPA, right? There was no discernable date on the bottle though, so I'll just have to assume it's fresh. It begins by pouring a golden ruby color with a very small white head that leaves an oily film behind. It has a very strange aroma, one I haven't come across yet in a beer. It's all malt with an accompanying sweetness, but there's a tang that hits at the conclusion. The taste is a large sticky sweetness due to an overwhelming malt base. There is a fruitiness that contributes to the sweetness. It finishes with a burst of alcohol and a cough syrup element that isn't very appealing. As I mentioned earlier, I can't picuk up any hops, no flavor, no bitterness, nothing. It has a very English barleywine-ish taste with the sticky sweet fruitiness and high alcohol. It's light on carbonation and a bit cloying. The drinkability isn't very good, I had trouble finishing the bottle. I love it's cousin the 60 minute, but I'm not a fan of the 90 minute.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

12 oz bottle. 9% abv.

A beautiful citrus character with orange peel, peaches, and lemon blended with huge hop additions and a biscuity malt presence that is second to none. Extremely hoppy but remarkably well-balanced. On-tap was phenomenal, but the bottles carry the flavor pretty well and aren't too sweet or too bitter. Such an easy-to-drink beer for the ABV and potent character. A true classic.

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

I deliberately poured this twelve ounce sample aggressively in order to raise a two finger collar of foam...and I succeeded. Body is orange-copper and the foam a very light tan with two distinct sections; one creamy and the other large-bubbled. Clarity is surprisingly good for the double (Imperial?) IPA style.

Hops are the show-stopper here...and the do so right from the start. The aroma is oh-so-sweet with pine trees colliding with grapefruits. One could (and does!) get lost in the aroma of the hop monster with the supportive malt backbone.

Entry is...well...omigod...even hoppier than imagined. The warning flag flown by the nose does not reflect the power of the storm in this instance. Supportive carbonation ushers bales of hop firecrackers around the insides of the cheeks...where they promptly detonate like little tiny hop bombs.

Midtaste is the only point where the malt is officially allowed to come out and play...but the appearance is enough to show that it is strong enough to carry the tonnage of hops.

The finish begins with a rear-of-the-tongue coating piney hop blast quickly giving way to that way-too-much-hop so I can't describe it type taste which lingers for a good many seconds. Grapefruit rinds and pine cones continue to ping-pong down my throat until I realize that there is still one more treat left...the malts pull off a cameo appearance and actually manage to get the last word in the way of lip-licking sweetness.

Not much of a session beer...but I'd love to have a growler handy to douse the flames from a really smokin' batch of Buffalo wings!

Many thanks to my Secret Santa froggyfrog for making this possible!

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a clear and beautiful reddish amber with a full finger head that faded after a few minutes that fell to faint lacing that is white to off white in color. Immediately gives off heavy aromatic notes of citrusy and piny hops, smells sweetly of caramel yet fresh and clean. This is one hoppy beer, probably the hoppiest I've ever consumed to date. Although the hops are certainly the highlight of this brew, the English two-row barley has certainly erased the majority of the bitterness and hides the alcohol content superbly. Finishes exceptionally clean with hint of a bitter aftertaste. Overall, an outstanding brew.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery