Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Reviews: 3,802 | Ratings: 15,049
4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours a very clear, amber with crimson inflections. A rich, creamy head with off-white tones crowns this inviting selection. The head retains well, and lace coats the glass throughout.

Smell: Abundant floral hops, with some sweet nectar punching through. Toasted barley interjects itself to create a pleasing milieu.

Taste: Delicious floral hops that are ever so juicy. Hardly bitter, and teasingly sweet. Excellent balance, with hops nicely countered with rich barley malt. Some molasses and pear rind are detectable.

Mouthfeel: Wonderfully creamy and full bodied for a double IPA. Great sensations on the palate with light bitterness.

Drinkability: Very tasty, sensually pleasing, and thoroughly satisfying. The taste encourages having one after another. A bit filling, but negligible. Great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

a - Orange, amber color. Not a lot of head which you would probably expect from the alcohol content. Plenty of lacing down the sides of the glass.

s - Fruity, spicy Just enough aroma, not too much as to be cloying

t - Sweet malty strong taste of hops. Very good balance.

m - Slick, oily with a light carbonation

d - Goes down well, too well. I was trying to review several of the 'on taps' but I kept coming back to this one. Nothing was better all night. The last one I drank was as good as the first.

Have you ever noticed that if you drink some beers (that you previously reviewed positively) after another superior beer, they taste like crap? 90 minute can be consumed first middle or last and it's taste holds up very, very well.

3.19/5  rDev -24.8%

This is maybe the sixth or seventh time I've had the 90 minute IPA. In the past I didn't really feel like I had anything new to say about this beer. This time though, something was amiss. Poured a perfect amber with a thick head that took a few minutes to settle. Smell was citrusy and very hoppy as well with lots of floral aromas and somewhat spicy towards the end. Tatse was definetly good but nothing in comparison to the other times I've tried this beer. For one, the malty sweetness that initially made me adore this beer was nearly gone. The hop presence was heightened a bit, but even so, it seemed a bit flat. It started off very earthy and tasty and then just seemed to fall flat on its face with no lingering flavors to speak of. Mouthfeel was medium/light (very uncharacteristic for this beer) making it easy to drink. I don't know if this is a new or just plain old crappy batch, but frankly im missing the old 90 minute. To be honest, it tasted more like the 60 minute then the 90. I'll grab it again, but im praying that it wont be like the batch im drinking now and will be like my good ol' friend 90. Cheers

4.49/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a deep gold, with a moderate to small pale yellow head.

Aroma is full of citrusy hop notes, plus some fruity esters and malty sweetness.

Tastes of citrusy hops up front, with a nick thick maltiness. Hoppy to the end, and a bit of warmth from the alcohol on the finish

An outstanding IPA (Double IPA? IIPA?), and a great way for degenerate hopheads to get their fix.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Rich and thick and tasty. I just finished enjoying two Smuttynose finest Kind IPA's and this bottle jumped out at me as the competition...wrongamundo. This is a different animal entirely. This is a hoppy brew for sure but the grain bill on this beer ensures that the malt character is more than just a fleeting glimpse.. It is ever present and tasty. But at 9% ABV the alcohol is generally MIA in the aroma and taste.

Alas on with the review.

This is the last bottle in the third - "four pack" of this fine brew that I have consumed. Odd that I have not reviewed this outstanding beer before??? Whats up with that???

Appearance is crystal clear - oxidized copper with a generous off - white head that leaves sheets of sticky lace in it's fighting withdrawal. Fades to a persistent layer of head that lasts through the end of consumption ... a long time.

Aroma is fresh green leaves, pine, grapefruit and orange pith. A backbone of swweet malts holds it all together, This is an balanced olfactory experience, not the beat your sinuses senslessness of some hoppy brews - sigh. I am not a hop-head per se but I hhave nad still do richly enjoy a SNPA or Smutty IPA.

Taste has some characteristics of a North American Barley Wine. Very hoppy with a strong malt back-bone - Sierra's Bigfoot 2005 comes to mind. They make an extremely hoppy Barleywine in my humble opinion. Some pine, some iodine, some grapefruit pith and a sweet dose of malt and a bit of bite ...alcohol perhaps???

This is a full-bodied brew with a slick, rich tongue coating mouthfeel that fades slowly. Ths rich, heady brew is a sipper and a rich brew to be savored.

Drinkable? Hell yeah!

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

I finally got my hands on some of this stuff after searching everywhere in Western NC. This beer pours a beautiful orange color, with a slight cloudiness. The aroma is of hops, hops and more hops. The taste is unbelievable, with so many flavors coming through. Hops, grapefruit, lemon zest, spices and malt. This is hands down one of the best double IPA's out there. I just hope that it becomes more available in my neck of the woods. Thanks to Brawleys for holding a 4-pack for me.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

I've been wanting to try this beer for a while so I was ecstatic when I realized my local beverage store got 4 cases of it in.

Rusty red in color with a thick cream colored 2" head. Smells like a fresh bouquet of hops. The taste is very smooth, extremely hoppy, a touch of citrus. Very easy drinking, alcohol doesn't come through at all. This is a very smooth beer loaded with hops. Definitely the best IPA I've ever tasted. You can enjoy this brew anytime of year.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Holy cow, what a beer!!! Thanks to Kinfolks in Manitou Springs for offering this up in bottles. Apparently, I had just missed them having it available on tap. It poured a nice copper color with a one finger head. Picked up some floral aromas. Good citrusy and floral hops with a well balanced maltiness. The ease of drinkability belies the 9% ABV. By far one of the top double IPA's I have ever had. This one tastes so good it could be dangerous if you don't watch out.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

This is my favorite beer hands down. The taste is like picking a handful of hops and just biting into them. Not that I know what that's like, but I'm pretty sure this beer is about as close as I'll ever get to doing that.
This is a thick IPA that left me with a beer-stache by the time I was done. How does that question go..."If you were stuck on a deserted island...." Well, just give me this brew and nothing else on the island and I'm a happy (or should I say hoppy) man!

12oz single, Riley's, hadnt had one of these since summer

appearance: pours a lovely copper-amber, slightly golden, clean and clear, fast forming bubbly beige head...looks quite juicy

smell: a bouquet of citrus...loads of grapefruit, orange, tangerine. a slight hint of pine...definitely a hop monster in the aromas.

taste: juicy and oily. Certainly one of the best DIPA's out there...juicy citrus hops dominate...grapefruit, fresh orange, tangerine, apricot...very sticky. definitely a more piney taste than the aromas would have indicated. sweet malt backbone surely takes the back seat to the juicy/sticky hops

mouthfeel: juicy, oily, sticky...medium bodied, very smooth

drinkability: very very drinkable

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

Bottle Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a good off white fizzy head, excellent lacing on the glass and mostly lasting. Aroma is hoppy with a touch grain cereal. Some dough, perfumes, plum, and alcohol. At first taste this was acidic, then it warmed a bit, it became sweet with a touch of bitterness. Light to medium body with a creamy texture and somewhat lively. This is a great beer with a higher abv, it will knock you for a loop but its a great trip.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

What can I say about the 90 Minute that has not already been said? Big, fruity, piney hops nose. Robust bitterness that doesn't quit, full and juicy hop flavors. The malt in this baby is a little more prominent than many of the other DIPAs out there, lending a bit more body as well as depth and balance, but make no mistake, this beer is meant to please the hopheads among us, and please us it does!

On tap or bottled, this is equally delicious, and I wish I kept it on hand more often.

2.78/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This was my first experience with a 90 minute and I'm starting to worry that I got an old bottle as there wasn't much of a hoppiness to it and it is supposed to be a DIPA, right? There was no discernable date on the bottle though, so I'll just have to assume it's fresh. It begins by pouring a golden ruby color with a very small white head that leaves an oily film behind. It has a very strange aroma, one I haven't come across yet in a beer. It's all malt with an accompanying sweetness, but there's a tang that hits at the conclusion. The taste is a large sticky sweetness due to an overwhelming malt base. There is a fruitiness that contributes to the sweetness. It finishes with a burst of alcohol and a cough syrup element that isn't very appealing. As I mentioned earlier, I can't picuk up any hops, no flavor, no bitterness, nothing. It has a very English barleywine-ish taste with the sticky sweet fruitiness and high alcohol. It's light on carbonation and a bit cloying. The drinkability isn't very good, I had trouble finishing the bottle. I love it's cousin the 60 minute, but I'm not a fan of the 90 minute.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

12 oz bottle. 9% abv.

A beautiful citrus character with orange peel, peaches, and lemon blended with huge hop additions and a biscuity malt presence that is second to none. Extremely hoppy but remarkably well-balanced. On-tap was phenomenal, but the bottles carry the flavor pretty well and aren't too sweet or too bitter. Such an easy-to-drink beer for the ABV and potent character. A true classic.

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

I deliberately poured this twelve ounce sample aggressively in order to raise a two finger collar of foam...and I succeeded. Body is orange-copper and the foam a very light tan with two distinct sections; one creamy and the other large-bubbled. Clarity is surprisingly good for the double (Imperial?) IPA style.

Hops are the show-stopper here...and the do so right from the start. The aroma is oh-so-sweet with pine trees colliding with grapefruits. One could (and does!) get lost in the aroma of the hop monster with the supportive malt backbone.

Entry is...well...omigod...even hoppier than imagined. The warning flag flown by the nose does not reflect the power of the storm in this instance. Supportive carbonation ushers bales of hop firecrackers around the insides of the cheeks...where they promptly detonate like little tiny hop bombs.

Midtaste is the only point where the malt is officially allowed to come out and play...but the appearance is enough to show that it is strong enough to carry the tonnage of hops.

The finish begins with a rear-of-the-tongue coating piney hop blast quickly giving way to that way-too-much-hop so I can't describe it type taste which lingers for a good many seconds. Grapefruit rinds and pine cones continue to ping-pong down my throat until I realize that there is still one more treat left...the malts pull off a cameo appearance and actually manage to get the last word in the way of lip-licking sweetness.

Not much of a session beer...but I'd love to have a growler handy to douse the flames from a really smokin' batch of Buffalo wings!

Many thanks to my Secret Santa froggyfrog for making this possible!

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a clear and beautiful reddish amber with a full finger head that faded after a few minutes that fell to faint lacing that is white to off white in color. Immediately gives off heavy aromatic notes of citrusy and piny hops, smells sweetly of caramel yet fresh and clean. This is one hoppy beer, probably the hoppiest I've ever consumed to date. Although the hops are certainly the highlight of this brew, the English two-row barley has certainly erased the majority of the bitterness and hides the alcohol content superbly. Finishes exceptionally clean with hint of a bitter aftertaste. Overall, an outstanding brew.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

Fills the glass in a beautiful golden amber color that turns a little yellow around the edges. The white, half-finger head fades fast, but leaves nice lacing. The color is really nice though. Resembles a pear brandy, except it's a little darker.

The first thing that jumps out about the scent is that it's very fresh. Not in the sense that it's a fresh bottle, but the scent brings to mind freshness. It's a little lemon and other citrus. Some pine scents. There's a spicy character too. It's pleasant to me, but my wife just said it was like kitchen cleaner. I suppose lemon and pine would do that to some. I guess I don't use the cleaners as often as her, big surprise.

Taste has multiple layers. There's the citrus layer, mostly lemon, but there are defintely some other citrus type flavors there. Orange maybe. There's the earthy layer, mostly cut grass with a little pine too. There's a pleasant spicy bite too, particularly on the finish. Alcohol, I suppose. Very tasty and well balanced too.

Light to medium bodied with a hint of early sweetness and a well managed late bitterness. Carbonation is mild. Quite well done.

This is a very tasty brew. Complex and well-balanced, but easy to drink. Could make a good intro to micros for someone with a taste for slightly bitter beers. It actually seems a little easier to drink than DH's 60 Minute IPA.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

In doing some research into my next potential homebrew, I decided to venture deeply into the real of IPA and Double IPA's.

I came across a bottle of the 60, 90, and 120 minute IPA's (among others I plan to review shortly). Deciding on trying the 90 min first and of course, I admit that I made the right choice.

I poured this into a snifter and was pleased by the dark copper color and the slightly off white head. Lacing was good. I let it mellow and warm since it was too cold when I poured it. After a couple minutes, I decided to dive in. The aroma is pleasantly hoppy with a citrus/apricot that makes me think of hefty use of Amarillo and Simcoe. Background notes of pine(?) and spice. Knowing this was a 9% ABV, I was worried that it would be unbalanced but the taste was pleasant with a subtle sweetness with strong hop notes. Malt notes held up to the bitterness. The finish was quick and overall wonderful. This was a wonderfully balanced beer. I just wish I had bought the 4 pack.

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

poured a 12 oz bottle into my westmalle chalice
Pours a nice copper color with a 1/2 inch of white head with decent retention. Nice lace on the side of the glass. Smell is of hops and more hops. Some citrus notes but mostly piney hops. The first taste is hops, the pine hops come through very nicely. It balances out with the malt very well though and finishes dangerously smooth. good mouthfeel...medium bodied beer with its drinkabilty being VERY high for such a high ABV beer. Will buy every chance I get

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

12 ounce bottle. Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA pours out a clear copper color with a large head of dense, white foam. Leaves a thick layer of lacing on my glass. Pungent oily hop aroma with sharp whiffs of alcohol. Juicy hop flavor with oily, piney hops. Malt provides a nice balance, but this is clearly a beer for hopheads. A little bit of butterscotch flavor too. Full mouthfeel. Drinkability is insanely high for a 9% beer. One of my favorite ipas, and it's even better on tap than in the botte. Best when fresh.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Bottled on 12/5/05. Poured a rich, thick, lasting head w/excellent lacing. Clear orange/yellow hue. Heavy rich hop aroma with a slight hint of burnt malts. Almost a belgian type yeast taste at the beginning followed by a white wine taste on the palate with the sweetness lingering for an extended period of time. Hops really came out more in the aftertaste. Overall, I was surprised by the sweetness of this IPA which made it different from others that I have tasted in the past.

3.55/5  rDev -16.3%

i got bombed on new years on high a.b.v. beer and cognac. HOWEVER, i drank this beer first, so it's an accurrate review. my buddy grabbed a 4 pack of these before a party we were at, so here it goes...

appearance: nice light amber brown, sweet head, and intriguing lacings in the glass (i wasn't expecting this).

smell: strong bouquet of citrus and tree sap. very odd, and yet again intriguing.

taste: holy crow... there's that citrus i smelled, along with a big ole bitch slap of hops. wow.

mouthfeel: smooth and light. nice and bubbly.

drinkablilty: pretty good. the whoel 4 pack woulda done nicely.

shoulda stuck to these all nite. prolly coulda avoided the vomiting that came later that nite. man i wasted some perfectly good beer...

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle that I acquired while visiting the family in Tampa, FL, over the 2005 winter holidays.

Pours a perfect copper and makes a very nice white head, has superb retention and makes a very good ammount of Belgian lacing on my glass. Very sweet, floral hop fragrance strong notes of citrus and pine. Explosion of hops across the tongue, sweet green raisins, candied citrus fruit, congnac, huge complexity yet very balanced between the hops and sweet caramel malts. Medium to full bodied, a bit syrupy as it goes down, finishes with a sticky, warming alcoholic bite. Aside from the thick palate, this is really a great beer. I am quite fond of the Dogfish yeast strain, it makes for a number of interesting flavors. I'm glad I brought back a whole lot of this stuff from my trip.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

pours a very deep copper with a lacy head.
the hop aroma lofts its so concentrated, there is some alcohol aroma and carmelized malt.
the flavor of hops with a bitterness just right, the malt is very carmelized, citrus, unidentifed spiciness.
the mouthfeel is a little thick, has a very full body.
beer is very drinkable, but i most enjoy it on cold nights.

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a glowing sunshine golf with a tight, fizzy head which leaves lots of lacing. Nose is of course hoppy with lots of piney scents, although there is more malt than expected in the background. Taste was hoppy but less so than expected, not quite the oily-juicy texture I get from a Ruination...this is still delicious but i feel it is just slighty lesser than Ruination for the style.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery