90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 14,290 | Reviews: 3,847
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

pours a very hazy light orange color, not clear at all. probably means, nice hops! not too much of a head but it stays around, and very lacy.

smells hoppy and flowery. a little piney, a little weird fruit aroma but very nice.

the taste is quite sweet with a hop bite. i can't believe its as strong as it is, it is very smooth. nice malt portion to this. amazingly balanced. sweet and smooth considering its strength. what a brew.

mouthfeel is a little creamy, slight slight dry finish on the hop bite. very pleasant

what a great brew. the buzz will catch you after only a couple, but it is so damn smooth you can't help but give in. i could drink a bunch of these despite being quite wasted afterwards. i'm so impressed with this brew, it is a completely different world from the 60 minute which i also thought was great. now the 60 is great for what it is, but this double IPA thing is its own realm entirely.

3.09/5  rDev -27.8%

The stuff looked fantastic when the bar maid brought it to the table. It was a rich reddish gold with a nice thick head on it.

My wife, who absolutely loves a nice hoppy IPA didn't like and and passed it over to me. I tasted it and I too was disappointed, because I have had some of Dogfish Head's other IPA's in bottles and they were FANTASTIC.

So I don't know why this one didn't live up to our expectations. It smelled a bit yeasty and tasted a bit malty and didn't have the hop bite that I recall the bottles having.

Maybe the beer was stale or something.

Drinkability. My wife a certified hop head passed it over and ordered a Harpoon, and I drank it (cause I was paying the tab)...

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

A phenomenal IPA. Pours a crisp, clear, red color into my imperial pint glass, growing a 1-finger beige-colored head that dissipates quickly but leaves lacing. Aroma of good hops is prevalent, with juicy red apple and spicy clove on top of the nutty barley malt. This ale is a masterpiece - a ludicrous amount of hops is perfectly balanced by tons of barley malt, making for a exquisitely tasty IPA. Not too bitter, but bitter enough to be just perfect. Mouthfeel is smooth and buttery, a little low on the carbonation side, but that makes it more authentic. An excellent ale if you're in the mood for something hoppy, but it's 9% ABV doesn't lend to drinking a whole 4-pack of these.

3.85/5  rDev -10%

Pours slightly bronzed clear tan, with perfect clarity, a little lighter than I'd anticipated. Head is off-white, good-sized and pretty well immortal. The aroma is predictably hoppy, although the sweeter side of the brew comes through with a bit of a woody, caramel-and-spice scent. The alcohol is noticeable as well.

In the mouth, it flows nicely, medium-bodied and not too sticky--"juicy" wouldn't be a bad description. Hops are strong but don't dominate, and most of what I notice is really the sweetness of the malt and alcohol. The overall effect is sort of caramel-appleish, with a drying finish that has some nutty character to it. Carbonation is minimal, appropriate to the flavor.

I'm just not that much of a big-beer fan, and from the bottle (uncellared) I find the alcohol a bit much for my tastes. I wouldn't drink more than one at once, but the complexity makes it a good meditation beer. I've had it on-tap as well and felt that the alcohol wasn't so aggressive, which I appreciated. In any case, I'd say it makes an excellent session closer, a good change of pace if you've been knocking back hoppier stuff.

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

Dark brown like honey in sunlight. Decent head.

Smells like big dry hops and chewy caramel. Very strong but nearly perfectly balanced. Nice.

Doesn't quite taste as good as it smells. Big hops up front, a barley in the back that's almost brown-ale sweet.

A good example of a good style from a good brewer. Nothing to kill for, but certainly worth a try.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I had this at the Sawmill Taproom in Raleigh.

Color- deep copper, with a pale beige head.

Nose- rich, perfumy, piny nose. I was excited when I sniffed this.

Palate- Rich and mouthfilling, but the hops keep it from being the least bit cloying. Notes of grapefruit marmalade. Smooth dark brown sugar flavors (this reminds me a bit of a barleywine, but in an IPA package. Perfect balance, and a long finish. There is no overt evidence of alcohol, but it's rich enough to make you slow down a bit.

4.58/5  rDev +7%

Mmmm. Pours a bright light orange hue capped by a half-inch creamy head that's going nowhere fast. Light carbonation persists throughout the experience. Dry aroma of spicy fresh hops, orange peel, ale yeast, and a touch of mustiness. The palate is...I don't know how to say. "One of the most pleasing things that has ever caressed my tongue" doesn't really convey it. A smooth, creamy, slightly buttery body holds a huge hop presence up front, redolent with lupulin. A touch of sweet caramel malt comes through mid-palate, finishing with a lasting bitterness. Notes of orange, grass, and tart ale yeast are present. Good lord, I love this beer.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Color is dead on golden orange amber with a creamy dense sticky head. Smell is resiny with floral, pine, and citrus. Taste is out of this world. Loads of oily hops surround my head inside and out. Full body with bitterness and dryness in the finish. The hops come together real well. Nice alcohol warming. Full of taste and texture, and I find hoppy residues remain on my lips. Drinkability is high even with the full body and 9% ABV.

This will be gone in waaay less than 90 minutes. Real awesome.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Another great beer from dogfish head.This beer starts out coppery clear with a two finger head that is very strong, great looking.A very strong fragrant smell with citrus aromas dominating this beer.The taste is very strong and crisp with hops totally the leading flavor here. The flavor is creamy making this awesome and very drinkable for a high alcohol beer. The m/f is light with the flavors mixing perfectly. It would be a challenge to find a beer better than this. Excellant.

Bought 12 ounce bottle bought at Whole Foods for $2.50, celebrating North Carlolina popping the cap. Poured a clear amber color. Decent light brown head, not as massive head as expected. Nice piney hop smell. Wow a smooth clean hop and sweet malt taste, can tell this one is higher alcohol. First sip was great, but the power and sweetness caught up with me. This is definitely a sipping beer. I can't imagine the 120 minute!

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from the 12 fl. oz. bottle with the new and not so interesting dogfish head label, stating "what you have here is an imperial india pale ale featuring a single, constant 90-minute hop addition. It's balanced by a riduculous amount of English two-row barley. Then we dry-hop it in every tank." Ok, so...pours up a cloudy, lovely apricot color with a tight head of foam, stays around for the entire beer and leaves great lace down the glass. Smells of flower, sunny and wonderful, some sweet fruit as well. Taste is amazing, I thought the 60-min. IPA was the winner, but this is the stuff. Hops to give, a touch of sweet fruit in the mouth, some bread taste, but flowery hops everywhere. An amazing beer. Finishes brilliantly, crisp with bite, and could be drank all night, even at 9% ABV. Wow, a winner.

cheers...

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this a few times in bottle, and tried on tap, and figured I was due for a review of this bad boy.

A - Pours off very thick, very little head due to thickness with large amounts of lacing however.

S - Actually not very heavy on the nose, I gave it swirl and a big sniff and didn't get much outside of hops.

T - Deep and bitter hops, not picking up anything in the way of floral or citrusy notes, just biting hops. There is a touch of alcohol, but you wouldn't guess at 9%, well hid by the hops.

M - Very thick and little on the carbonation makes it very smooth, slides right down the hatch.

D - This is a VERY drinkable Imperial IPA, but you can't quite grant it perfect for it's 9% ABV.

I can see myself getting this beer once again, Dogfish Head crafted another fine brew.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

Deep amber color and a massive rich head. Sticky lacing is all over the glass. The aroma is very hoppy but yet balanced out with sweet grapefruit and citrus. Plenty of fruit flavor, biscuity malts, and pine like hoppy flavor. Sweet alcoholic back ground and finishes dry. Fruitiness lingers for a bit on the tongue. Great drinkablity and very potent. This is by far one the best IPA's I have ever had.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Appears a rich coppery orange with a 3 finger head that lasts. Plenty of thick white lacing sticks all over the goblet.
Smell is of tons of orange and grapefruit citrus with sugary biscuity malts.
Taste is f'in awesome. I love the balance of sugary biscuit and bitterness that works well together as a dynamic duo. Very resinous, sticky and sweet with no overkill.
The mouthfeel is great. Sticky with nice carbonation.
Drinkablitiy is awesome. I can't think of anything to dislike about this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

In my snifter is a jolly rancher orange brew with an off-white head, which given a few moments will become a suitable ring, leaving lace down the sides of the glass. Great looking brew.

Massive citrusy hops combine with raisin bourbon and a hint of alcoholic cherry in the aroma. Perhaps a bit grainy. Sweeter as it warms. Unexpected and very interesting.

Initially hop-bitter, a bit leafy, leading into a surprisingly more fruity malt-sweet middle with hops taking their place around the edges. Alcoholic burn all around, with burny hops to complement it. Finishes on the sweet and malty side right after a hit from the hops. A bit grainy on the breathe-out.

Crisp and pleasantly rough, yet smooth at the same time. Great carbonation.

Certainly "off-centered" as the Dogfish Head motto suggests, and in a good way. This is the best east coast IPA I've had! It'll be a regular in my refrigerator. You have to try this one in a snifter or maybe an oversized wine glass, a regular pint glass just doesn't do it justice. A must-try.

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%

Got this bottle while visiting relatives in Michigan, and have been looking forward to trying it finally.

Pours a golden color with a decent head that slowly fades away to a small cap with some pretty decent lacing.

Smells is citrus, pine, hops and malt. Not as overwhelming as I expected. This is my first double IPA, and I was expecting a stronger assault on the nose.

Taste is initially citrus and hops, but finishes with a nice malt sweetness to it. It's smoother and has a lot more balance than I was expecting. I find that I have to force myself to not drink this to quickly.

I haven't had very many DFH beers, but this is my favorite one thus far.

4.92/5  rDev +15%

OK. I went and bought at the brew store today (Brawley's). I spent too much, but finally was able to find this Dogfish Head IPA that was supposed to be the best. I have not opened the bottle yet, but the anticipation is incredible.

Appearance:
Poured really nice, although there was little head and not a ton of bubbles. Beautiful golden color. The head clears out except for a small ammount of lace that graces the top of the beer.

Smell (nose):
Hops. Not as overwhelming as I would have thought from a DOUBLE IPA (but never having a double before, my expectations could be skewed). They also hide the alcohol from the nose.

Taste:
I took one sip and immediatly had to go back for another before I could continue typing. Very hoppy, which makes me very happy! Well hopped, as one would expect from a DOUBLE IPA... about double the wondrous hops! Most excellant. If you don't love hops, do not try this beer, it's not for you. If I hadn't read on the bottle that it was 9% abv, I would not have know from the taste and the nose.

Mouthfeel:
This is a BIG-BOY! Feels like once the beer enters your mouth that it will not hide or cower! Big and bold and holds nothing back.

Drinkability:
The problem with this beer is that it will not leave you alone. You want more in your mouth. I am finding that I don't want to type, just drink more of this elixor vitea.

Belch (every good beer has a good belch, and I believe that you taste more of the hops in the belch):
I was not let down in this area either. I good belch to me is one that tastes as you would think putting a hop flower into your mouth would taste. This beer has a very flavorfull belch on multiple leavels.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Clear orange-amber color with a beige-white 1/2" head. Beautiful lacing that lasts and lasts.

Nice hop nose, not overpowering at all. Mild orange, piney odors.

Great flavor! Grapefruit/citrus, malt, and lots of hop flavor, (of course). Slght warming and astringency from the alcohol content, but I don't think it's a bad thing in this case.

Overall, I find this excellent and very drinkable. I could probably put down a few very easily, but won't, as I would rather savor them.

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

The Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA may well be the most balanced and subtle IPA that I have ever tasted. DFH has been bringing their creations into the Texas market for a while now, and the 90 Minute IPA was one of the original beers that they entered into retail here. It is, along with the 60 Minute IPA, one of their flagship beers. My only quibble with it at all is the pricing. At $8.49/4-pack, it can take a bite out of the beer budget. That said, it's hard to argue that it isn't worth the price, as this beer certainly rocks.

The 90 Minute IPA starts with a very pretty pour. It has a deep orange-amber coloring, and the head is thick and creamy on the pour. The foam eventually dissipates, leaving nice, thick lacing down the mug or glass as the beer is quaffed. The nose is malty and hoppy, slightly sweet.

The taste is exceptionally well-balanced. The malts are sweet and bready, and they provide the perfect counterbalance to the heavy hop infusion. Incredibly impressive. There were some complex nuances to the taste as I worked my way through the beer. Vanilla, lavender, and rose petal tastes surfaced once in a while. Very interesting all the way around. I have never had an IPA (or any other beer) quite like it before.

Good mouthfeel, just short of being sweetly cloying. Very drinkable considering the ABV. It's a big beer, but I could see enjoying several of these in succession if I knew that I didn't have to drive or otherwise be occupied with anything other than enjoying this fine brew.

I was really expecting something different. I had tried the 60 Minute and just expected more of the same with a bigger hop bite. But the 90 Minute really shattered my vague expectations. There really isn't anything like it out there. DFH has produced a unique masterpiece with this beer, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for something out of the ordinary.

3.48/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz 4 pack at my local grocer.

This is my last of the 4 drank at a rate of 1 per week. The first one I could hardly stand and they got better from there. I decided I would review the last one to be fair.

Pours a copper color with a typical IPA head, forthy and lacy.

Smell is not your typical IPA. Not what you expect. Normally I am looking for a bit more citrus/grapefruit smell. Hops are there in abundance just a deeper complex level of hops than the typical aromatic citrus hops smell. Smoky, sour, fuity, citrus. piney, it all seems to be in there somewhere, a blend of hops if you will. Mouthfeel is warm (probably all the alchohol) and creamy.

Taste is tangy and bitter, very bitter and then malty. This one may be beyond my abilities to actually get at all the flavors. Malt is strong as well, buscuit malts but really the bitter hops take over the taste.

Frankly a strong and interesting beer but not an extremely drinkable beer (my lowest score). This is one left to the BA type. Not one to try out on friends used to drinking macros or typical micros. However it DOES grow on you. This last one is much more enjoyable than the first one. A beautiful beer in its element but otherwise a beast that most people would have trouble understanding.

And this from a hop head and IPA lover.

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

Nice. Well this one pours a copper color with a nice light head which will lace the glass thorough. It smells like citrus and apricots. The taste is strong but not overpowering it is of fruits and hops has a tartness with a warm full body feel. The mouthfeel is smooth. A drinkable beer indeed. Impressive

3.96/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was glad to finally try this beer, but I must say I was a little bit disappointed. I think the 60 minute has been my favorite DFH so far, aside from the Burton Baton. This wasn't far off from the 60 minute, but I was hoping it would be the perfect balance between the 60 and the 120, which is doesn't seem to be.

Pours to a dark coppery clear red with a nice inch foam and a decent carbonation. Looks like it will be quite a treat.

The smell is piney hoppy and has the weird yeasty aroma that I seem to equate to cinammon and apple sauce. Not quite as aromatic as I was hoping, and not even any more potent to the nose than the 60 minute.

The taste is actually quite sweet, and the hops don't seem to have any more oomph than the 60 minute. DFH uses some funky fermentables, as is apparent in their larger proof beers. Tastes like they used a shit ton of honey, molasses, cinnamon, and brown sugar. This beer seems to be more sweet and sour than it is bitter. Not as big of a disappointment as the 120 minute, but doesn't live up to my expectations of when I was stuck only being able to get the 60 minute here in Iowa.

The mouthfeel is syrupy and coating, though not too thick considering how much it tastes like honey and molasses. Has a contact dryness from the astringency of the alcohol as well as the hops. Evidently the hops are there, but they are hiding behind the attempt at balancing the bitter out with some sweet. It is too overwhelming to be drinkable. I love my IPA's, and I love it when brewers get a bit experimental with their recipes, but nothing can come close to the refreshing taste of a more "traditional" American IPA.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Nice two-finger off white head....foamy, small bubbles, but broken up by some large ones. Head slowly decreases in size, leaving some lacing behind. Beautiful honey colour underneath, with no bubbles rising.

The smell is all hops (would you expect anything else from this one?), with a subtle but present maltiness underneath. Somewhere in here, there's even some fruitiness- mainly a pungent orange, and a bit of grapefruit.

Wow....strong maltiness hits on first taste. I expected the hops to hit hardest, but they don't. The grapefruit is there along with some spiciness, and the alcohol doesn't back down. Oddly, a woodiness comes in at the end, instead of the hops. Very nice.

The mouthfeel is thick, With a low somewhat loose carbonation that hits up front, builds a bit, then is gone.

Some folks might find a 9% a bit too strong for a session beer, but this one could fit the bill well. It not so strong that it would put you off after a while- but has enough going on in the flavour, to keep you interested.

Be well
-UF

3.53/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks goes out to richardflyr for this in person trade.

Revisited: 14 Jun 12

This beer is totally different from the last few times I had it and the original review. I just had to write a more current review.

Pours a nice clean/clear golden light amber color, nice carbonation, with a little fizzy white head, which does leave some sticky lacing behind. The nose is mostly malty, sweet, with some hops. The taste is sweet, malty, nice little hop note, and slightly spicy. Medium body, ABV still hidden very well. Overall I had to bring these points down, this is just a medicore DIPA to me now.

WOW this beer is awesome. Pours a clear golden yellow, not much of a head, but leaves some nice lacing. This beer has an different scent than other IPAs I've had, barley, hops, nutty, fruity, and spicy. The scent hits you the second you open the bottle. I really like the taste, kinda sweet with a little bite at the end. The body is light. For a 9% ABV beer you would never know it, Dogfish Head hid the alcohol very well. This is a very highly recommended brew.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a crystal copper color with a frothy tan head that retains well and lively carbonation rising to the top. Aroma is big, juicy hops; citrus (mainly grapefruit with hints of lemon and orange rind) and a slight piney smell as well as a lightly sweet caramel background. The flavor begins with a nice juicy hops profile with big citrusy grapefruit, slightly floral and mineraly, piney, and herbal flavors, followed by sweet caramel and lightly bready malt character to balance. The finish is drying and fairly bitter, but less so than your typical DIPA which makes it all the more drinkable. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth with a big body and the drinkability is pretty good ( i can only think of one other DIPA more drinkable...thank you Stoudt's), alcohol is noticeable but not intrusive and this is one of the few DIPA's I could drink more than one of in a session...very nice beer by DFH

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery