Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,731 | Hads: 14,611
4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

this beer is a bit darker than i was expecting. dark orange colour, and a decent head that sticks around throughout the whole drink, with nice lacing.

aroma is viscous hops. i just think of hop oil and pine trees when i sniff this. though the smell is really hoppy, it smells like a big beer, a barleywine perhaps, and the hops aren't crisp smelling, but balanced with a bit of malt.

the smell does nothing to prepare you for the taste. bold. once again, those hops are just thick feeling. i was immediately expecting some grand bitterness, but, there wasn't any. the malts swooped underneath of the hops and swiftly transported them through my mouth on a caramel raft floating down carbonation river. delicous hops and a brilliant sweetness sums this up. balanced perfectly. exquisite.

mouthfeel accentuates the taste. perfecting medium carbonation. this beer tastes big. it's thick. certainly the thickest ipa i have had.

well, this beer does not disappoint. i have been waiting for months to try it, and, for the first time, it superseded my already high expectations. i have drank many of the 60 minute, and to call this the 90 minute inevitably leads to some confusion about the similarity of these two beers. the 90 is not simply a hoppier 60 minute, it's a completely different beer.
i not only strongly recommend you try this beer, i encourage you to seek it out.

On tap during Rich O's Lupulin Land 2004

This is the very first beer I've ever rated all 5s. It was absolutely magnicent from beginning to end.

Beer arrived in an english pint glass with a head so dense, I could have sculpted it with a putty knife. Excellent head retention with heavy lacing.
Beautiful deep amber with a hint of orange.

Smell was crisp clean hops with citrus predomitating, oranges and grapefruit. Also a hint of clove and honey.

Taste was simply outstanding. No other way to describe it. A burst of refreshing clean hops right from the get go, with a glorious middle of mild fruit. Extra dry clean finish. It's very hard to tell from the taste that this is a 9% abv beer.

Mouthfeel was excellent. Many beers this hoppy leave a long aftertaste that can seem to stay with you for days. Not this beer. Just the right amount of carbonation allows it to slip down easy with.

Extremely drinkable. It has me wondering how much it is to buy it directly in kegs.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

I first had this a couple years ago out of a corked 750 mL bottle, now it's a capped 12 oz. bottle. It still better be good...
Pours a rustic orange copper that is slightly hazy. The head is sticky, creamy-soft, and very light tan. Very good lacing. Smells mostly of very citric hops, some piney resin, and alcohol. I can also pick up a solid base of sugary sweet malt. Taste starts off with an acidic hop greeting, followed by sugary mini-donuts, which don't last long. A bitingly acidic and juicy hop wave crashes in and takes over. Notes of fruit try to crack through and do, a little bit. The bitterness is big and citrusy overall. Finish stays resiny, and bitter and dry for quite a while, with some lingering sugary/fruity malt. Mouthfeel is big and coat-your-mouth sticky. This ale has a yeasty-musty-alcohol vibe throughout I wasn't crazy about. Still, a very good IIPA.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

12oz bottle purchased at Jim's Homebrew in Spokane for $3.55. According to the bottle it was "packaged" in May, presumably of this year.

Poured a golden orange color, with a big, off-white head and lots of lace.

Smell is of...hops (duh) - piney ones, citrusy ones, floral ones. Smells glorious.

Taste is even better than the smell. While there is a malt backbone to the proceedings, it gets held to the ground and relieved of it's lunch money by the hoppiness, after which it slinks into the background. The hops aren't nearly as intense and overbearing as I had expected, and are much more diverse. Piney, citrusy and floral hoppiness are all encountered, and all of these hoppy aspects are brilliantly balanced. While there is a dryness at the finish, it isn't a bash you over the head, massively bitter, Death Valley kind of dryness, but far more subtle instead. This is the best tasting IPA I've ever had.

Nothing to complain about in the mouthfeel department. This is a medium bodied ale. Carbonation is where it should be.

Drinkability is great, except for the abv, which would put many on their ass in no time. But if I had a second bottle of this, I'd be sorely tempted to have another if I had nothing to do for the rest of the day.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

Crystal clear copper body with an off-white head consisting of small to large bubbles, good retention and lace, no carbonation.
Smell is incredible, sweet spice yet strong hoppyness, overripe banana and faint cherry.
Taste just as great as the smell. Again strong spiced sweetness perfectly balanced with the hops, aftertaste is surprisingly mild. Alcohol not too apparent and mingles well with the rest of the flavors. Overripe banana, strong cherry, earth, molasses, hint of critric twang and musty hay.
Medium body, leaves some coating and goes down very well.
A highly drinkable beer.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

The best of Dogfishhead's IPA's, even slightly better than the 120 minute.

After the pour you get a one finger, off-white/beige head that lingers for a long while, in fact I finished the beer before the head could disipate.

The brew is a hazy, golden brown color with a burnt orange hue.

The nose is like snorting a line of powdered hops. There's some estery textures and honey there too, but mainly hops.

What a flavorful beer. Smokey hops, pine, raisins, caramel and more hops. The alcohol isn't particularly well hidden but it doesn't deter from the flavor at all.

The mouthful is lighty carbonated, but there is also another tingling sensation from the alcohol and the hops. Terrific consistency.

The aftertaste is a somewhat bitter, hoppy burn. I detect caramel, dried fruits and hickory smoke.

As far as drinkability goes this is definitely not a beer to do keg stands with but I'm certainly not having any problems putting them back

The 90 minute is an ideal American ale. Another fantastic beer from Dogfishhead.

3.68/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours a light clear golden amber with a big off white head that leaves lots of lacing. Aroma is mostly floral hops with light pine hints in background, with a light malt presence detected. Not as intense as one would expect from a Double IPA. Taste is lots of hops not overly bitter but lots of hop flavor followed by sweet malt body leaves a little bitter lingering aftertaste but again little weak for a Double IPA. Mouthfeel is not bad maybe a little light for a 9% brew but not bad. Drinakability is good these go down smooth and easy and at 9% could lead to trouble, but taste wise is more like a good IPA. I don't know if I am being over critical of this beer because I was expecting so much more? I have been wanting to try this one for a while and now I am disappointed it is not a bad beer but it is not the kick ass beer like I was expecting. I could not find a year on this beer but it was marked Sept maybe its year old and hops have died down a little ? I would think the Vintage Cellar would have a good turnover?

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

90 minute ipa is best on-tap. the appearece is an orange -amber with a tight bubbled head that laces the glass heavily. smell is among the best ive had the pleasure of putting under my nose. all hops babay! taste is also heavy on the hops. just perfect for an ipa'r like myself. mouthfeel is highly carbonated and oily. alcohol is hidden very welland, at 9.00 abv this one will send you to the sandman early if you let youself become it's slave. a masterpiece!

4.21/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a bronze color with a thin head and nice lacing.

Scent is hard to get a hold of I can't seem to get what I am looking for in this style. I do get nice hops, citrus and sweet malt but it is not as pronounced as I would expect.

Taste is very nice starts out lightly sweet and malty that lingers for a moment then it is wonderful, citrusy hops that finishes dry but a bit sweet also. Abv. is not noticeable at all, I would expect more alcohol taste from this beer.

Mouthfeel is incredible, very smooth with light body. Carbination is perfect.

Drinkability is exceptional for this 9% beer. The beer is easy to drink. The alcohol is slightly noticeable, but not what I would expect. I could definately finish the four pack at once. It is kind of expensive though.

4.62/5  rDev +9%

Ahhhh...hops; but not without the malt! This beer poured a clear golden ammber color with orange hints. It had a wonderfully thick long-lasting head with lace that just stuck around. The great balance of hops and malt begins in the nose, where you pick up a near perfect marriage of the two. The malty bitterness continues in the flavor and right on through to the aftertaste. This is a beer that will stay with you for awhile after it disappears from your glass.

After tasting this once again, I just have to up my "taste rating" to a 5. This is one beer that just seems worth it.

Pour it, smell it, sip it, let it linger and enjoy it.

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

A head just lighter than the color of khaki sits on top of a deep bronze liquid--the color of a dirty penny--with topaz highlights. Gloopy, substantial head leaves webby lacework that sticks somewhat nicely. A few streamers idle through this liquid of above-average viscosity. Big hop aroma is dusty and pollen-like, but can't completely hide a firm, sweet, almost porridge-like malt body. The hop smell here is a double-edged sword for me--I like the suggestions of straw bales and cedar chips; I don't care to be reminded of the smell of "green dragon" (a vile stoner concoction involving marijuana soaked in hot vodka). Flavor begins with a bran muffin and marmalade-like sweetness at the tip of the tongue. Calling the hop flavor "bitter" is not quite accurate. It's more like a brute spiciness that's nearly peppery in character. Big oregano and possibly mint flavors are also involved in a gripping aftertaste. Varnish-like, yet smooth, mouthfeel is downright numbing without being astringent. Like a bulldozer with a leopard interior. This is a big beer whose characteristics didn't quite resolve for me until I was nearly done with the sample (12 oz.), at which point my tastebuds were exhausted anyway. The first time I had this beer, I liked it a lot better than I liked this sample, and I have reason to believe that this bottle may have been mishandled. Still, I think there are Double IPA's that handle the balance of massive flavor, alcohol, and overall refreshment better than this one.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

12 oz. bottle

Huge off-white head with lots of lace, golden color with an amber core. Somewhat hazy, but just a little.

Floral and pine notes from the hops that you would expect are joined by malt and a few other elements that I didn't know how to describe (sweet).

Taste is great, very smooth layering of the hop bitterness and sweet hints of malt. The edges are crisp, but not rough and the finish is long pleasant.

I am quite happy with the way this beer is put together, the alcohol is noticeable, but not overpowering; carbonation is perfect and the body works well also.

Price could be a little lower, but I am glad it is available at all to me.

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

A new edition to Chumley's bottled arsenal. As soon as I pull up my bar seat, my favorite bartender asks what I'll have and with out hesitation I reply: "90 minute please". "Good choice" he responds. A bottle with a more modern looking label and a pint glass arrive. I soon pour this golden/orange exilir into the pint and note the massive citrusy/hoppy aromas that are present. Reminds me a lot of Dreadnaught. First sips conjure more sweetness than I would have liked, but the hop bite is immense. Not as much balance as Dreadnaught and aftertaste is stuck with the syrupy sweetness of an ultra-hopped beer. The 9 percent alcohol never steps up to take center-stage, but you can certaintly feel it's effects. Overall, this is a very good double IPA, but I'll still stick to my FFF when it counts.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

Attractive label that states abv 9% and a packaged month notched, but no year. Doesn’t match current picture of guy hammering a nail into his nose. My label is a light red brick color with a dark silhouette of what one has to assume is a Dogfish, with a paragraph explaining the beer under it.
Aroma: Burst of citrus; orange, tangerine, grapefruit, with a real hit of hops. Almost perfume intensity. I dab a bit behind each ear.
Appearance: Pale orange amber body with a good head of off white that laced as the initial pour collapsed. Head became clumpy and thin, but left a spray painted lace.
Flavor: Wow, for all the hop intensity and abv., a very mellow and well blended taste. A great round taste, no harsh bitter edge but lots of hop flavor. Malt is expressed, but sweet doesn’t come to mind as a descriptor. Lots of the fruit flavors forecast in the nose blossom here. The taste actually brings SN’s Celebration Ale to mind. As the beer warmed, the alcohol started to peek through and the hops really edged into a slight burn, but an enjoyable burn.
Mouthfeel: Heavy body triggered a quick chew, the consistency of a well blended milkshake, and about as creamy of a feel. Some serious oils took their time in soaking in my mouth, leaving a tingle and a pucker. About a third of the way down, the warmth starts to set in.
Overall Impression: Dangerously drinkable. While I could make a session of these, I would be worthless very quickly. This is a special occasion type beer, and more of a winter beer in my book. With the hop level, these should age nicely until they are needed in the grip of winter. Strongly recommended.

4.56/5  rDev +7.5%

On-tap at The Map Room. Served at true cellar temperature in a Stella Artois tulip. . . over and over again.

That 20-pound cylinder of CO2 is this pimp beer's no-tooth whore.

Draught gives 90 Minute power -- power that it doesn't need. But it also calms it down, as the whore bringing the night's earnings home to big poppa.

Creamy and smooth, draught 90 Minute is devoid of the sometimes harsh alcohol that I have tasted in some 12 ounce bottles and have heard is quite prevalent in the 750s. Though that alcohol highlights the bitter I2PA qualities of this beer in the bottled version, its absence underscores a much more appealing and elegant freshness on-tap.

Quite simply, this is a different beer on-tap. While the primary characteristics that make bottled 90 one of the finest beers ever produced -- sweet toffee, bright pine, and candied flowers -- it comes together seamlessly when pressure-forced through a small metal valve.

Relax, relax.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Finally found myself a 4 pack of this much anticipated brew. Pours from the bottle a nice opaque orange with a 1 inch head that proceeds to leave some beautiful lacing before I even take the first sip. The smell is a floral bouqet of hops. The mix of hops invades my nose...and some citrus hints come throuh too. I could smell this one for quite some time...definetly more fragrant than the 60 minute. The first sip is great...a wall of hops hits my tounge and it doesn't hold back. The biterness is just right and the brew is very well balanced. The alcohol is virtually nonexistant in the taste. This beer will make any hophead smile. The barley and hops are near perfect...this is definetly one of my new favorite IPA's. Mouthfeel on this brew is perfect...a full body without being to overwhelming....I couldn't ask for anything more. As far as drinkability..I'm going to have to rate this quite highly as well. It tastes great, goes down easily and truly satisfies my craving for a wonderfully hoppy brew. I think the only major downfall to this beer may be its price tag...a little hard on the wallet...but it's still damn well worth it. For any of the hopheads out there that haven't tried the 90 minute IPA yet...I recommend you seek it out and indulge in this craft brewing masterpiece. Dogfish Head rocks and hopefully some day I can track down the elusive 120 minute IPA :-)

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

12 oz. bottle
Pours a burnt orange color with very little head. Smells of grapefruit, hop flowers. Has a substantial body but without feeling syrupy.
The taste surprized me with it's super smooth malt sweetness which was on a par with it's strong hop presence. The two contrasts meshed perfectly. The 9.0 abv masks itself well. Finishes with a bitter sweet hop taste.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

Ah the nectar of the Gods. Nothing makes me smile more than a nice Double IPA. A bit different from it's cousin the 60 minute IPA I was not disappointed at all to finally taste this beer for the first time.
Served on tap this beer poured a dark caramel, almost pumpkin color. Not much head to speak of at all.
The aromas are citrusy, fruity, hoppy. Almost champagne like.
The first taste knocked me back a bit. Similar to the Eleven in flavor, just not quite as strong or in your face. Hoppy but well hidden by the sweet honey and apricot flavor. Almost nectar-like.
The finish has a nice grapefruity bite to it and a floral aftertaste.
I liked the 90 minute alot. In fact after tasting it, I ordered a pint to share with crabby. The 60 minute seemed to have more a easy drinakbility, but the 90 minute is definitely a masterpiece.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured a dark, golden color with a slight haze and a big fluffy head, which left an amazing lacing as I drank. The aroma was big with citrus, spice, and bread. The flavor of this IPA was huge. Very sweet and spicy up front, lots of grapefruit and pepper in there as well, sour fruits and dough in the middle, and a nice bitterness covers your tongue at the finish. The mouthfeel was just great; slightly oily, which gave it a very smooth and creamy feel. This stuff is dangerously drinkable as well. The high ABV was hardly detected while cold, but as it warmed, a comfortable tongue warming developed and alcohol became more evident in the nose. Easily the best IPA I've had to date.

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

Serving type: 12oz. bottle served in tulip glass.

Appearance: Perfect rocky, beige colored head. Hazy golden amber color with sticky lacing and streaming carbonation.

Smell: Fresh hops, piney and fruity. Superb!

Taste: Holy hoppy goodness! Wonderfully bitter, hoppy, fruity, piney, with a slight alcohol bite and the end.

Mouthfeel: full and syrupy mouthfeel.

Drinkability/Overall: Nice complex brew, a real treat for hopheads! Pass me another one!

4.79/5  rDev +13%

Well, according to BA time, it is my birthday. I don't like cake, but I sure love beer. So, happy birthday to me with this one. The beer pours a deep orange to coppery color with a finger of head that leaves lace all over the place as it falls. The nose makes my mouth water. Hops hops and more hops are in my face. They are piney, woodsy and somewhat citrusy. I have had this beer before, but it was 3 years ago this week, so I have come a long way since then. Here we go with the first taste. Beautiful. In my face earthy hops to start that melt into a sweet malt finish. The balance is fantastic...best IIPA I've had to date...best offering from Dogfish I've had to date. The beer is thick, somewhat oily with just enough carbonation. Drinkability is good. With the big hop character and thickness, it is a nice big-sips sipping beer. One a night will do me, but I will be picking this one up again.

3.57/5  rDev -15.8%

Copper color, quite clean. A medium foam. Not particularly attracting.
The smell is a triumph of fresh hop, very grassy, with grape-fruit notes.
The taste is good, bitter, but not too much. But with a good persistence in the mouth. Again a lot of grassy hop notes.
The alcohol is perceptible, but not annoying. Medium-high body, with a good comeback of grassy bitterness.
Maybe some lack in drinkability, due to the high alcohol level, well noticeable.

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

i've never had this or any other dogfish head beers. it was acquired through covert means and while i was not the one bringing it across the border, i can't guarantee that duty was payed. ssshh, anyways....

did i just hold a handful of hops to my face or is it just me? I could smeel this beer before i even finished pouring the glass and no i was holding my nose half an inch from the rim. the appearance i thought has quite exceptional(that might by a little too high praise, but never the less): a light orange with a nice amount of head that held despite the high alcohol.

what surprised me most about this beer was the first sip. not what i was expecting. the hops do come first, not surprisingly, but are followed by a far more intense malt flavour than i was expecting. i suppose i didn't believe the label ("balanced by a ridiculous amount of english 2-row barley"). And then it finishes off with a salt and pepper(alcohol) ending. very interesting and not at all expected( 3rd use of the word in one paragraph, cheeky).

The mouth feel was good, i would have enjoyed a little more carbonation or something to balance out the syrupy slide down the throat. I might have had another if there was one in the fridge, but even then...

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Great beer. I like this beer much more than their 60 minute IPA. This beer, I feel, has much more balance than its 60 minute counterpart. The malt and hops and this beer are in almost perfect harmony and synchronization.

Overall, it is an excellent beer. It's almost the same color as the 60 minute IPA... which is remarkable, in the true sense of the word. The smell is awesome... definitely a nice bouquet of hop cones. I will definitely seek this beer out. Anyone know where I can get it on tap in NYC?

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Basic browner 12 oz. escapes with a label touting "balanced by a ridiculous ammount of two row English barley." A freshness notch for May 2004 via 5/12 dig and 9% ABV bragging rights.

After a rugged pour into me (by coincidence) DFH pint glass, a crystal clear coppery orange beer with scant bubbles and a solid pillowy tight antique white head cap stares back at me. Cap settles wuickly into a scant solid slick coating that is well retained.

Balanced matured malts vs. hops nose that is coated well to really erupt, but after a few swirlls the grassy piney hops take effect.

First swigs: Bold balance for a 2IPA. Sticky ripping hops are fought back by the molasses malts. THis is a malestrom of a brew. Spiced tang bites back blended by back 'n forth hops fire and malt extinguisher. Awl-kee-hawl esters build while warming. Isopropryl notes on the tongue. Thick lingering heat aftertaste with spices. Exotic flavors.

If you're careful, these can go back all night long, despite the 9% ABV.

Last swigs: A bit of a basic pour countenance, that fights hard. Hops are hidden behind the malt muscle. 2IPA with backbone. Awl-kee-hawl esters tend to subdue the character.

Beer is good. Happy 9% beering.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery