90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,716 | Hads: 14,519
4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Finally found myself a 4 pack of this much anticipated brew. Pours from the bottle a nice opaque orange with a 1 inch head that proceeds to leave some beautiful lacing before I even take the first sip. The smell is a floral bouqet of hops. The mix of hops invades my nose...and some citrus hints come throuh too. I could smell this one for quite some time...definetly more fragrant than the 60 minute. The first sip is great...a wall of hops hits my tounge and it doesn't hold back. The biterness is just right and the brew is very well balanced. The alcohol is virtually nonexistant in the taste. This beer will make any hophead smile. The barley and hops are near perfect...this is definetly one of my new favorite IPA's. Mouthfeel on this brew is perfect...a full body without being to overwhelming....I couldn't ask for anything more. As far as drinkability..I'm going to have to rate this quite highly as well. It tastes great, goes down easily and truly satisfies my craving for a wonderfully hoppy brew. I think the only major downfall to this beer may be its price tag...a little hard on the wallet...but it's still damn well worth it. For any of the hopheads out there that haven't tried the 90 minute IPA yet...I recommend you seek it out and indulge in this craft brewing masterpiece. Dogfish Head rocks and hopefully some day I can track down the elusive 120 minute IPA :-) (1,385 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +8%

12 oz. bottle
Pours a burnt orange color with very little head. Smells of grapefruit, hop flowers. Has a substantial body but without feeling syrupy.
The taste surprized me with it's super smooth malt sweetness which was on a par with it's strong hop presence. The two contrasts meshed perfectly. The 9.0 abv masks itself well. Finishes with a bitter sweet hop taste.
Excellent. (383 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

Ah the nectar of the Gods. Nothing makes me smile more than a nice Double IPA. A bit different from it's cousin the 60 minute IPA I was not disappointed at all to finally taste this beer for the first time.
Served on tap this beer poured a dark caramel, almost pumpkin color. Not much head to speak of at all.
The aromas are citrusy, fruity, hoppy. Almost champagne like.
The first taste knocked me back a bit. Similar to the Eleven in flavor, just not quite as strong or in your face. Hoppy but well hidden by the sweet honey and apricot flavor. Almost nectar-like.
The finish has a nice grapefruity bite to it and a floral aftertaste.
I liked the 90 minute alot. In fact after tasting it, I ordered a pint to share with crabby. The 60 minute seemed to have more a easy drinakbility, but the 90 minute is definitely a masterpiece. (836 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured a dark, golden color with a slight haze and a big fluffy head, which left an amazing lacing as I drank. The aroma was big with citrus, spice, and bread. The flavor of this IPA was huge. Very sweet and spicy up front, lots of grapefruit and pepper in there as well, sour fruits and dough in the middle, and a nice bitterness covers your tongue at the finish. The mouthfeel was just great; slightly oily, which gave it a very smooth and creamy feel. This stuff is dangerously drinkable as well. The high ABV was hardly detected while cold, but as it warmed, a comfortable tongue warming developed and alcohol became more evident in the nose. Easily the best IPA I've had to date. (684 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

Serving type: 12oz. bottle served in tulip glass.

Appearance: Perfect rocky, beige colored head. Hazy golden amber color with sticky lacing and streaming carbonation.

Smell: Fresh hops, piney and fruity. Superb!

Taste: Holy hoppy goodness! Wonderfully bitter, hoppy, fruity, piney, with a slight alcohol bite and the end.

Mouthfeel: full and syrupy mouthfeel.

Drinkability/Overall: Nice complex brew, a real treat for hopheads! Pass me another one! (464 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +13.2%

Well, according to BA time, it is my birthday. I don't like cake, but I sure love beer. So, happy birthday to me with this one. The beer pours a deep orange to coppery color with a finger of head that leaves lace all over the place as it falls. The nose makes my mouth water. Hops hops and more hops are in my face. They are piney, woodsy and somewhat citrusy. I have had this beer before, but it was 3 years ago this week, so I have come a long way since then. Here we go with the first taste. Beautiful. In my face earthy hops to start that melt into a sweet malt finish. The balance is fantastic...best IIPA I've had to date...best offering from Dogfish I've had to date. The beer is thick, somewhat oily with just enough carbonation. Drinkability is good. With the big hop character and thickness, it is a nice big-sips sipping beer. One a night will do me, but I will be picking this one up again. (902 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -15.6%

Copper color, quite clean. A medium foam. Not particularly attracting.
The smell is a triumph of fresh hop, very grassy, with grape-fruit notes.
The taste is good, bitter, but not too much. But with a good persistence in the mouth. Again a lot of grassy hop notes.
The alcohol is perceptible, but not annoying. Medium-high body, with a good comeback of grassy bitterness.
Maybe some lack in drinkability, due to the high alcohol level, well noticeable. (457 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

i've never had this or any other dogfish head beers. it was acquired through covert means and while i was not the one bringing it across the border, i can't guarantee that duty was payed. ssshh, anyways....

did i just hold a handful of hops to my face or is it just me? I could smeel this beer before i even finished pouring the glass and no i was holding my nose half an inch from the rim. the appearance i thought has quite exceptional(that might by a little too high praise, but never the less): a light orange with a nice amount of head that held despite the high alcohol.

what surprised me most about this beer was the first sip. not what i was expecting. the hops do come first, not surprisingly, but are followed by a far more intense malt flavour than i was expecting. i suppose i didn't believe the label ("balanced by a ridiculous amount of english 2-row barley"). And then it finishes off with a salt and pepper(alcohol) ending. very interesting and not at all expected( 3rd use of the word in one paragraph, cheeky).

The mouth feel was good, i would have enjoyed a little more carbonation or something to balance out the syrupy slide down the throat. I might have had another if there was one in the fridge, but even then... (1,246 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Great beer. I like this beer much more than their 60 minute IPA. This beer, I feel, has much more balance than its 60 minute counterpart. The malt and hops and this beer are in almost perfect harmony and synchronization.

Overall, it is an excellent beer. It's almost the same color as the 60 minute IPA... which is remarkable, in the true sense of the word. The smell is awesome... definitely a nice bouquet of hop cones. I will definitely seek this beer out. Anyone know where I can get it on tap in NYC? (510 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Basic browner 12 oz. escapes with a label touting "balanced by a ridiculous ammount of two row English barley." A freshness notch for May 2004 via 5/12 dig and 9% ABV bragging rights.

After a rugged pour into me (by coincidence) DFH pint glass, a crystal clear coppery orange beer with scant bubbles and a solid pillowy tight antique white head cap stares back at me. Cap settles wuickly into a scant solid slick coating that is well retained.

Balanced matured malts vs. hops nose that is coated well to really erupt, but after a few swirlls the grassy piney hops take effect.

First swigs: Bold balance for a 2IPA. Sticky ripping hops are fought back by the molasses malts. THis is a malestrom of a brew. Spiced tang bites back blended by back 'n forth hops fire and malt extinguisher. Awl-kee-hawl esters build while warming. Isopropryl notes on the tongue. Thick lingering heat aftertaste with spices. Exotic flavors.

If you're careful, these can go back all night long, despite the 9% ABV.

Last swigs: A bit of a basic pour countenance, that fights hard. Hops are hidden behind the malt muscle. 2IPA with backbone. Awl-kee-hawl esters tend to subdue the character.

Beer is good. Happy 9% beering. (1,218 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours out a lovely rusty red into my glass. Small off white head that clinggs to the edges of the glass quite nicely. Taste is divine; nice hop character without the intense bitter flavor that other IPAs have. The malt balance is very calming and enhances the overall pleasure of this remarkable brew. Instantly a favorite of mine, though with the 9% ABV, it gets dinged for drinkability, at least in volume... Yummy to the extreme... (434 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +7.3%

You will be hard pressed to find a better Imperial IPA than this example. A huge hop nose that really sets an impressive stage. The beer blows the roof off in the IBU's but there is a distinct balance to this big beer. I had no problem drinking this beer and the high ABV is not very noticeable( check yourself before you wreck yourself). There has been debate on the longterm legitimacy of Imperial IPA's but this beer is future classic. (438 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

Been drinking this at the Drafting Room/Springhouse. Limited quantities and was waiting not-so-patiently apparently since I got emailed by their manager and bartender as soon as they finally managed to get it and as soon as this puppy was tapped!

This has always been such a great IPA, what a treat to have it casked! Medium golden and somwhat unclear. Such an amazingly thick and creamy white bubble bath of a head on top. Scented lightly of grapefruit. Man, it is sooo silky as allhell! So rich and smooth, but yet not heavy at all. Hoppy and grapefruit rindy, lite citrus. Intense taste, but blended so nicely. Just so freakin' amazing... Perfect temperature. I can sit and just drink tons and tons and tons.... wait, there is not going to be tons of this available in this little freakin cask... crap! Thank god the DR is close to me! Gonna suck this thing dry! (869 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

I am not normally a huge hop fan. It is not that I don't like the taste, it is just not my favorite. This beer changed my mind. After my first swallow I felt like I had missed out on something my whole life. The smell is wonderful, like I am walking through a field of hops on a breezy summer day. It has notes of fruit and floral smells. The taste, wow, an explosion of flavor immediately. It is definitely bitter, but a slight sweetness follows to even the whole experience out. It feels heavy and oily in my mouth. There is a spicy note to it that makes want to keep drinking it. All in all an excellent beer. I want more! (625 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

Nice orange pour with a biiig white head. Strong aroma, mostly floral hops. This beer tastes great. Very bitter (holds true to the style) with a ton of hops that are sure to excite your palate. This brew coated the inside of my mouth well and left a bit of a fruity taste on my tongue. Beware though, it would be tough to drink a lot of these, I was already feeling it after just one with the high ABV.

I believe this is the first Double IPA I have ever tried, and as a fan of IPA's I have to say I enjoyed this beer, but it was defintiely on the extreme side. Went well with some barbequed burgers and baked beans. Can't wait to try the other three that are sitting in my fridge. (683 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -16.1%

never been a huge fan of american IPA's and this one didnt sell me either. started out full of promise but it was only a matter of time before the ridiculous amount of hops in this beer hits like a sledgehammer.

flaming orange color with a massive rich white head and a fair bit of sizzle. huge malty aroma, lovely alcohol sweetness coming thru with a biscuity like element followed by an absolute barrage of noble hops. the beer started exquisitly smooth with great malt flavor, and started so smoothly, but it was a mere matter of seconds before hops started coming over the hill like stormtroopers at dawn. and when they arrived in full force on my back palate it was as tho their mission was to capture the back of my throat and hold it prisoner. i just cannot understand the need to make a beer this hoppy. its like loading a curry with so much chilli powder you cant taste anything else. it took me a beer and a half to get the booming nature of the hops in this beer out of my mouth. not what i really want in a beer.

reviews here show there are plenty that love this brew, and while i dont hate it, i would not be going out of my way to get my hands on it either. it all just seems pointless to me, especially conisdering it started out like a dead set champ.

2014 edit: Forget the above, this beer has become a much more balanced beer with another 10 years of brewing experience. The 90 still showcases a big hop presence, but with a better beer behind it, and a lot more finesse. (1,493 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours into the glass with a lovely typhoon of carbonation amidst the rich golden body. The head is off-white in color and thick, and leaves a beautiful lacing down the glass.

Aroma is piney and citric, robustly hoppy and fresh smelling. Quite enticing.

I find this to be the best balanced of DFH's 3 IPAs. Hops are strong from the start, of course, but the malt asserts itself with a robust toasty character mid-palate. Finish is once again hoppy, extremely bitter with lots of piney flavor. This works nicely with the surprisingly creamy mouthfeel to add to the balanced "feel" of the beer. Alcohol is noticeable, but not obtrusive, mostly lending a slight warming that compliments the acidity of the hops.

Good stuff! (738 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

Taps out as a copper color with a tint of orange. The aroma of hops is amazing and calls out for you to take a drink. It has a nice hops bite with great flavor and is well balanced. Kind of spicy and a touch salty. There is a lot of hop punch but it is very well balanced by the malt. Seemed to have a little more carbonation than most IPA's. I went to a bar that had 50 beers on tap, once I tried 90 minute, I never went to another beer. This is the best beer I have ever tasted to date. (488 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured a clear orange with lively carbonation. The aroma had a very strong hop presence which reminded me of pine trees a little bit which i enjoyed a lot, you could smell the beer as soon as you opened the bottle. The flavor had a strong bitterness in the beginning with a sweet malt background which segued into a warming finish and a lingering hop flavor. This double IPA is better when it is warmer as the hops become more rounded and the beer balances a lot more. I got a bottle for $6 thanks to my local homebrew store. (525 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

Clear. A light amber color with a slight orange tint. Medium, tan bubbles. Nice head. Lingers much longer than the 60 minute. Smell is malty, but you can still sense the hops. Nice body, especially for the 9% ABV.

Taste starts malty, soon transitions into a lot of hops. Perfectly balanced malt/hop taste. Somewhat dry finish (good!). If I was to drink one beer in a night, this would be it. A perfect America Double IPA. The only one that comes close to this (that I have had) is Rouge’s I2PA. Somewhat expensive, but worth every penny and not nearly the price of the I2PA. Be very careful with this beer as it goes down very easy and the alcohol will catch up with you quickly. Don’t get me wrong, the alcohol is detectable, but I wouldn’t guess 9% from the taste. (773 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

Crystal clear. Dark golden to light amber. Big, foamy, off white, everlasting head. Very tiny bubbles from bottom to top.

I get some aroma that I just don't have the words for. Some citrus. Most beer has the citrus though. I can say that the aroma is very robust. Its like nothing like I've ever smelt. Its a good thing.

Malty Malty Malty balances the Hoppy Hoppy Hoppy very well. A bit more alcohol than I would like to taste.

Very full bodied. Not a lot of bubbles rolling over the tounge.

Pretty good. I could see myself drinking 3 or 4 of these and falling on my face when I get up. (598 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -8.5%

Pint glass at Lucky Baldwin's IPA festival.

Pours a very nice medium dense amber color. Small white head with decent lacing. A good strong hop scent. A sappy resin, citrus and a minor malt in the background make up the rest of the scents.

A huge bitter hop bite is the first flavor. It has a nice juicy sweet citrus flavor mixed in to the middle. This makes the drinker want to drink it quick. The flavors all join well together except for the finish. This is the reason I cannot rank this IPA with superb numbers. It is a fine IPA but the finish is very unpleasant. It leaves a deep ash and poorly burnt toasted quality on the palate at the end. These not so tasty flavors linger much too long. It was quite a shame as I was really looking forward to this IPA. It is very hard to find in California on a regular basis.

It drinks very easy. Mouthfeel has a stickyness to it that is quite unusual. The feel of the IPA lingers after being swallowed. The high alcohol is well hidden and there is no burn or flavor from it, so it is a neutral after thought.

All in all, I thought this to be a good double IPA but a bit overrated in my personal opinion. (1,160 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

At $3 per 12oz bottle it seemed a little steep. I'm really glad I buckled down and got a couple. I'll get more and keep my eye out for bargains.

A deep orangey color pours clear but with some thickness. I nice head comes up and eventually settles down to a film of suds. It sticks to the glass sparingly.

A thick complex of smells. Ripe fruits, grasses, and others.

Taste is more thickness. Wonderfully strong blend of bitterness and sweetness.

Feels bubbly. Medium to full bodied. Did I mention thick?

Very drinkable. I could have continued drinking the other one but I think I'll save it for tomorrow. (618 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Served this 12 oz bottle in a pint glass. Packaged in date was notched for June....fresh.

The color was somewhere between an orange/bronze. Carbonation bubbles were present. Very nice 1 inch head.

Smell was appealing with juicy hop oils present. Whiifs of citrus fruit. This is an "imperial pale ale that features a single, constant 90-minute hop addition" and it does not disappoint.

The taste of this double IPA is really enjoyable. Splendid mix of sweetness and fruit-like overtones with serious hop bite. Excellent orange citrus profile. The 9.0 % ABV is masked extremely well.

Check this beer out if you are a fan of strong IPA's. It's another winner from this craft brewery out of Delaware. (710 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

A very well done Double IPA. For being such a highly hopped beer it was very drinkable. The huge hop aroma and flavor is grassy and piny. Malt is strong enough to keep the massed hops in line. Mouthfeel is oily and thick, but not offensive at all. I'm surprised at how balanced such a one dimesional beer can be. Did that make any sense? If not blame the 9%, it sure had me fooled. (381 characters)

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery