Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,732 | Hads: 14,615
4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Basic browner 12 oz. escapes with a label touting "balanced by a ridiculous ammount of two row English barley." A freshness notch for May 2004 via 5/12 dig and 9% ABV bragging rights.

After a rugged pour into me (by coincidence) DFH pint glass, a crystal clear coppery orange beer with scant bubbles and a solid pillowy tight antique white head cap stares back at me. Cap settles wuickly into a scant solid slick coating that is well retained.

Balanced matured malts vs. hops nose that is coated well to really erupt, but after a few swirlls the grassy piney hops take effect.

First swigs: Bold balance for a 2IPA. Sticky ripping hops are fought back by the molasses malts. THis is a malestrom of a brew. Spiced tang bites back blended by back 'n forth hops fire and malt extinguisher. Awl-kee-hawl esters build while warming. Isopropryl notes on the tongue. Thick lingering heat aftertaste with spices. Exotic flavors.

If you're careful, these can go back all night long, despite the 9% ABV.

Last swigs: A bit of a basic pour countenance, that fights hard. Hops are hidden behind the malt muscle. 2IPA with backbone. Awl-kee-hawl esters tend to subdue the character.

Beer is good. Happy 9% beering.

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours out a lovely rusty red into my glass. Small off white head that clinggs to the edges of the glass quite nicely. Taste is divine; nice hop character without the intense bitter flavor that other IPAs have. The malt balance is very calming and enhances the overall pleasure of this remarkable brew. Instantly a favorite of mine, though with the 9% ABV, it gets dinged for drinkability, at least in volume... Yummy to the extreme...

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%

You will be hard pressed to find a better Imperial IPA than this example. A huge hop nose that really sets an impressive stage. The beer blows the roof off in the IBU's but there is a distinct balance to this big beer. I had no problem drinking this beer and the high ABV is not very noticeable( check yourself before you wreck yourself). There has been debate on the longterm legitimacy of Imperial IPA's but this beer is future classic.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Been drinking this at the Drafting Room/Springhouse. Limited quantities and was waiting not-so-patiently apparently since I got emailed by their manager and bartender as soon as they finally managed to get it and as soon as this puppy was tapped!

This has always been such a great IPA, what a treat to have it casked! Medium golden and somwhat unclear. Such an amazingly thick and creamy white bubble bath of a head on top. Scented lightly of grapefruit. Man, it is sooo silky as allhell! So rich and smooth, but yet not heavy at all. Hoppy and grapefruit rindy, lite citrus. Intense taste, but blended so nicely. Just so freakin' amazing... Perfect temperature. I can sit and just drink tons and tons and tons.... wait, there is not going to be tons of this available in this little freakin cask... crap! Thank god the DR is close to me! Gonna suck this thing dry!

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

I am not normally a huge hop fan. It is not that I don't like the taste, it is just not my favorite. This beer changed my mind. After my first swallow I felt like I had missed out on something my whole life. The smell is wonderful, like I am walking through a field of hops on a breezy summer day. It has notes of fruit and floral smells. The taste, wow, an explosion of flavor immediately. It is definitely bitter, but a slight sweetness follows to even the whole experience out. It feels heavy and oily in my mouth. There is a spicy note to it that makes want to keep drinking it. All in all an excellent beer. I want more!

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

Nice orange pour with a biiig white head. Strong aroma, mostly floral hops. This beer tastes great. Very bitter (holds true to the style) with a ton of hops that are sure to excite your palate. This brew coated the inside of my mouth well and left a bit of a fruity taste on my tongue. Beware though, it would be tough to drink a lot of these, I was already feeling it after just one with the high ABV.

I believe this is the first Double IPA I have ever tried, and as a fan of IPA's I have to say I enjoyed this beer, but it was defintiely on the extreme side. Went well with some barbequed burgers and baked beans. Can't wait to try the other three that are sitting in my fridge.

3.55/5  rDev -16.3%

never been a huge fan of american IPA's and this one didnt sell me either. started out full of promise but it was only a matter of time before the ridiculous amount of hops in this beer hits like a sledgehammer.

flaming orange color with a massive rich white head and a fair bit of sizzle. huge malty aroma, lovely alcohol sweetness coming thru with a biscuity like element followed by an absolute barrage of noble hops. the beer started exquisitly smooth with great malt flavor, and started so smoothly, but it was a mere matter of seconds before hops started coming over the hill like stormtroopers at dawn. and when they arrived in full force on my back palate it was as tho their mission was to capture the back of my throat and hold it prisoner. i just cannot understand the need to make a beer this hoppy. its like loading a curry with so much chilli powder you cant taste anything else. it took me a beer and a half to get the booming nature of the hops in this beer out of my mouth. not what i really want in a beer.

reviews here show there are plenty that love this brew, and while i dont hate it, i would not be going out of my way to get my hands on it either. it all just seems pointless to me, especially conisdering it started out like a dead set champ.

2014 edit: Forget the above, this beer has become a much more balanced beer with another 10 years of brewing experience. The 90 still showcases a big hop presence, but with a better beer behind it, and a lot more finesse.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours into the glass with a lovely typhoon of carbonation amidst the rich golden body. The head is off-white in color and thick, and leaves a beautiful lacing down the glass.

Aroma is piney and citric, robustly hoppy and fresh smelling. Quite enticing.

I find this to be the best balanced of DFH's 3 IPAs. Hops are strong from the start, of course, but the malt asserts itself with a robust toasty character mid-palate. Finish is once again hoppy, extremely bitter with lots of piney flavor. This works nicely with the surprisingly creamy mouthfeel to add to the balanced "feel" of the beer. Alcohol is noticeable, but not obtrusive, mostly lending a slight warming that compliments the acidity of the hops.

Good stuff!

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Taps out as a copper color with a tint of orange. The aroma of hops is amazing and calls out for you to take a drink. It has a nice hops bite with great flavor and is well balanced. Kind of spicy and a touch salty. There is a lot of hop punch but it is very well balanced by the malt. Seemed to have a little more carbonation than most IPA's. I went to a bar that had 50 beers on tap, once I tried 90 minute, I never went to another beer. This is the best beer I have ever tasted to date.

4.07/5  rDev -4%

Poured a clear orange with lively carbonation. The aroma had a very strong hop presence which reminded me of pine trees a little bit which i enjoyed a lot, you could smell the beer as soon as you opened the bottle. The flavor had a strong bitterness in the beginning with a sweet malt background which segued into a warming finish and a lingering hop flavor. This double IPA is better when it is warmer as the hops become more rounded and the beer balances a lot more. I got a bottle for $6 thanks to my local homebrew store.

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

Clear. A light amber color with a slight orange tint. Medium, tan bubbles. Nice head. Lingers much longer than the 60 minute. Smell is malty, but you can still sense the hops. Nice body, especially for the 9% ABV.

Taste starts malty, soon transitions into a lot of hops. Perfectly balanced malt/hop taste. Somewhat dry finish (good!). If I was to drink one beer in a night, this would be it. A perfect America Double IPA. The only one that comes close to this (that I have had) is Rouge’s I2PA. Somewhat expensive, but worth every penny and not nearly the price of the I2PA. Be very careful with this beer as it goes down very easy and the alcohol will catch up with you quickly. Don’t get me wrong, the alcohol is detectable, but I wouldn’t guess 9% from the taste.

3.82/5  rDev -9.9%

Crystal clear. Dark golden to light amber. Big, foamy, off white, everlasting head. Very tiny bubbles from bottom to top.

I get some aroma that I just don't have the words for. Some citrus. Most beer has the citrus though. I can say that the aroma is very robust. Its like nothing like I've ever smelt. Its a good thing.

Malty Malty Malty balances the Hoppy Hoppy Hoppy very well. A bit more alcohol than I would like to taste.

Very full bodied. Not a lot of bubbles rolling over the tounge.

Pretty good. I could see myself drinking 3 or 4 of these and falling on my face when I get up.

3.87/5  rDev -8.7%

Pint glass at Lucky Baldwin's IPA festival.

Pours a very nice medium dense amber color. Small white head with decent lacing. A good strong hop scent. A sappy resin, citrus and a minor malt in the background make up the rest of the scents.

A huge bitter hop bite is the first flavor. It has a nice juicy sweet citrus flavor mixed in to the middle. This makes the drinker want to drink it quick. The flavors all join well together except for the finish. This is the reason I cannot rank this IPA with superb numbers. It is a fine IPA but the finish is very unpleasant. It leaves a deep ash and poorly burnt toasted quality on the palate at the end. These not so tasty flavors linger much too long. It was quite a shame as I was really looking forward to this IPA. It is very hard to find in California on a regular basis.

It drinks very easy. Mouthfeel has a stickyness to it that is quite unusual. The feel of the IPA lingers after being swallowed. The high alcohol is well hidden and there is no burn or flavor from it, so it is a neutral after thought.

All in all, I thought this to be a good double IPA but a bit overrated in my personal opinion.

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

At $3 per 12oz bottle it seemed a little steep. I'm really glad I buckled down and got a couple. I'll get more and keep my eye out for bargains.

A deep orangey color pours clear but with some thickness. I nice head comes up and eventually settles down to a film of suds. It sticks to the glass sparingly.

A thick complex of smells. Ripe fruits, grasses, and others.

Taste is more thickness. Wonderfully strong blend of bitterness and sweetness.

Feels bubbly. Medium to full bodied. Did I mention thick?

Very drinkable. I could have continued drinking the other one but I think I'll save it for tomorrow.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Served this 12 oz bottle in a pint glass. Packaged in date was notched for June....fresh.

The color was somewhere between an orange/bronze. Carbonation bubbles were present. Very nice 1 inch head.

Smell was appealing with juicy hop oils present. Whiifs of citrus fruit. This is an "imperial pale ale that features a single, constant 90-minute hop addition" and it does not disappoint.

The taste of this double IPA is really enjoyable. Splendid mix of sweetness and fruit-like overtones with serious hop bite. Excellent orange citrus profile. The 9.0 % ABV is masked extremely well.

Check this beer out if you are a fan of strong IPA's. It's another winner from this craft brewery out of Delaware.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

A very well done Double IPA. For being such a highly hopped beer it was very drinkable. The huge hop aroma and flavor is grassy and piny. Malt is strong enough to keep the massed hops in line. Mouthfeel is oily and thick, but not offensive at all. I'm surprised at how balanced such a one dimesional beer can be. Did that make any sense? If not blame the 9%, it sure had me fooled.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

What a stunning brew! Full on amber colour, crystal clear, and adorned with an off white but somewhat elusive head. Wonderful colour and bead to contemplate and...

...Oh so seductive to smell. Complexity of malt, fruit and hops mingle up front and are followed by notes of honey and maple sap. Slight hints of oak poke through in the finish.

This beer is curvaceous! Beautifully round body, and fleshy texture
usher in a malty, mildly sweet palate that exhibits notes of honey and hops. A powerful bitterness lingers in the finish.

It's called an imperial pale ale, but this beer has all the attributes to be one of the finest barleywines I have had the pleasure to taste. I'm surprised no one has pegged it as such.

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

My fiancee was embarassed to go out with me after drinking this; I had hop leafs stuck in my teeth like spinach.

Then I woke up.

Seriously, though, I don't know whether this is the best -- or one of the best -- Imperial IPAs I've ever had or if it's simply an overzealous exploration of the use of hops en masse. Many of them are pleasurable beers, and judging them on their level of excellence compared to their own objectives, they're superb -- especially this one.

Oily, hair gel look to it. Nice lacing. Vibrant looking with a lively aroma. Hoppy to say the least -- some citric fruit, but this is primarily grass and sappy pine cones rolled in pine needles and dipped in Pine-sol. The hop flavor is displayed like a stuffed moose head for all the world to see. Coats the mouth with bitter, hoppy, potent oiliness but doesn't let you forget where this is coming from: Dried out malty flavor and carbonation combines to make this a fairly effervescent, refreshing beer despite it's high abv and insane hop content. Alcohol is obscured by the dryness and the bitterness. Whew.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

This was on-tap via a "Randall." I learned about this great fresh hop delivering contraption this past spring at the BA Festival in Boston. I am jealous of the bloke that won it in the raffle. This beer was quite good after being Randallized. It poured a dark, dirty amber in color, with little head. The hops were fresh and crisp and did a great job of covering up the alcohol taste. Without the Randall I think the alcohol might be slightly to noticeable to really enjoy this beer. It was a great sipping beer when you have time to sit back and really enjoy a beer. Not to be rushed, but savored.

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, medium/amber gold. The head is very nice with a good retention.

Smell: Spicey, piney hop notes.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Upfront, this beer is incredibly smooth. The initial hop assault on the palate is one of a piney, citrusy, hop character. Malts are present, but overrun by the hops. The alcohol provides a slight warming of the mouth.

Overall: This is a prefect example of an imperial/double IPA - one of the best I've had.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured a nice dark gold with a very nice head that laced very nicely. Smell was distinctly floralwuth a hint of yeast bouquet..very nice. Taste was sharp with hops of a citrus nite, but malt was there too to relieve some of the harshness. Very nice lightly bitter aftertaste. This is a 9.0 abv brew, so allcohol obviously is there, but not to the point of distraction. Malt presence smoothed out the mouthfeel and made this a nice drinkable brew.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

12 oz. bottle.

Amber, Slightly hazy. Somewhat light head. Very hoppy aroma, but even through the mountain of hops, some malt aroma pokes through. (My beer shows a fair amount of "wet cardboard" oxidation, but it's been in my refrigerator awhile.) The flavor (and mouthfeel) of this beer is very interesting. Although known as a big hoppy beer (and it is), there is a pile of malt backing up the hops. And, the malt doesn't quit until the hops are almost gone from the aftertaste. It's maltiness early, malt middle and malt late to complement the "hop steamroller" level (and persistence) of hops. This beer is almost like a Scottish ale -- with the sweet edge to the malt -- with a ton of hops added to every nook and cranny. Hmmm . . . big malt behind big hops -- these guys might be on to something. Very full-bodied with a mildly creamy mouthfeel.

In all, this is a very big (9% ABV), very malty and (above all) very hoppy IPA. As you might expect, this beer fills you up fast. Enjoy it when you are only going to have one or two or you'll end up bloated (and likely, hammered -- not that that's a bad thing every once in awhile).

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Wow, I had heard so much about this beer and now am glad to realize that it really did live up to its reputation. Pours a cloudy golden pearlike color with a good sized foaming white head. Lots of bubbles racing to the top. Smell is very citrusy and I definitely feel an alcohol burn on my nose hairs. This beer has a depth of which I have not encountered too many times before. Very, very hoppy yet not too bitter. The malt base is superb. Lots of caramel malts and a somewhat wheaty base. Hops are mainly citrusy but there a variance in the citrus flavors. Alcohol fussels work with the beer and provide more depth and complexity. This is simply a world class brewed beer. Michigan needs to get Dogfish Head!

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured milky amber dirt-brown with a creamy head. Hints of oranges and peaches hiding behind a strong hop aroma. This is a beer of two well-balanced extremes: sweet, sugary fruity alcohol taste juxtaposed (I've been waiting to use that word) with a strong needling hoppy bite that will pop open all your taste buds. They don't cancel each other out, rather they twist your taste buds around so much your tongue tingles like an arm or leg that's just 'waking up' from being asleep for hours - but it goes down silky-smooth, and it's, er, even refreshing. Insane.

Very drinkable, more than 3 will make you slap-happy. Go for it.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours apricot (now there is a fancy-ass color for you) with a mild white head. Light carbonation.

Strong citrusy hop rush to the nose, with a hint of the piney hops following.

Dang. This stuff beats you over the head and then takes your lunch money. Big piney hops, with a blast of the citrus. It almost cools the mouth, drying it out like cottonmouth. A hint of peach is in there.

Very smooth for the amount and variety of hops present.

After drinking this for a while, I was suprised to see my glass still half full. Make no mistake, this is a big beer, completly different from it's little brother, the equally impressive in it's own way 60 minute IPA.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery