90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,716 | Hads: 14,516
4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

What a stunning brew! Full on amber colour, crystal clear, and adorned with an off white but somewhat elusive head. Wonderful colour and bead to contemplate and...

...Oh so seductive to smell. Complexity of malt, fruit and hops mingle up front and are followed by notes of honey and maple sap. Slight hints of oak poke through in the finish.

This beer is curvaceous! Beautifully round body, and fleshy texture
usher in a malty, mildly sweet palate that exhibits notes of honey and hops. A powerful bitterness lingers in the finish.

It's called an imperial pale ale, but this beer has all the attributes to be one of the finest barleywines I have had the pleasure to taste. I'm surprised no one has pegged it as such. (726 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

My fiancee was embarassed to go out with me after drinking this; I had hop leafs stuck in my teeth like spinach.

Then I woke up.

Seriously, though, I don't know whether this is the best -- or one of the best -- Imperial IPAs I've ever had or if it's simply an overzealous exploration of the use of hops en masse. Many of them are pleasurable beers, and judging them on their level of excellence compared to their own objectives, they're superb -- especially this one.

Oily, hair gel look to it. Nice lacing. Vibrant looking with a lively aroma. Hoppy to say the least -- some citric fruit, but this is primarily grass and sappy pine cones rolled in pine needles and dipped in Pine-sol. The hop flavor is displayed like a stuffed moose head for all the world to see. Coats the mouth with bitter, hoppy, potent oiliness but doesn't let you forget where this is coming from: Dried out malty flavor and carbonation combines to make this a fairly effervescent, refreshing beer despite it's high abv and insane hop content. Alcohol is obscured by the dryness and the bitterness. Whew. (1,087 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

This was on-tap via a "Randall." I learned about this great fresh hop delivering contraption this past spring at the BA Festival in Boston. I am jealous of the bloke that won it in the raffle. This beer was quite good after being Randallized. It poured a dark, dirty amber in color, with little head. The hops were fresh and crisp and did a great job of covering up the alcohol taste. Without the Randall I think the alcohol might be slightly to noticeable to really enjoy this beer. It was a great sipping beer when you have time to sit back and really enjoy a beer. Not to be rushed, but savored. (598 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, medium/amber gold. The head is very nice with a good retention.

Smell: Spicey, piney hop notes.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Upfront, this beer is incredibly smooth. The initial hop assault on the palate is one of a piney, citrusy, hop character. Malts are present, but overrun by the hops. The alcohol provides a slight warming of the mouth.

Overall: This is a prefect example of an imperial/double IPA - one of the best I've had. (506 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured a nice dark gold with a very nice head that laced very nicely. Smell was distinctly floralwuth a hint of yeast bouquet..very nice. Taste was sharp with hops of a citrus nite, but malt was there too to relieve some of the harshness. Very nice lightly bitter aftertaste. This is a 9.0 abv brew, so allcohol obviously is there, but not to the point of distraction. Malt presence smoothed out the mouthfeel and made this a nice drinkable brew. (446 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz. bottle.

Amber, Slightly hazy. Somewhat light head. Very hoppy aroma, but even through the mountain of hops, some malt aroma pokes through. (My beer shows a fair amount of "wet cardboard" oxidation, but it's been in my refrigerator awhile.) The flavor (and mouthfeel) of this beer is very interesting. Although known as a big hoppy beer (and it is), there is a pile of malt backing up the hops. And, the malt doesn't quit until the hops are almost gone from the aftertaste. It's maltiness early, malt middle and malt late to complement the "hop steamroller" level (and persistence) of hops. This beer is almost like a Scottish ale -- with the sweet edge to the malt -- with a ton of hops added to every nook and cranny. Hmmm . . . big malt behind big hops -- these guys might be on to something. Very full-bodied with a mildly creamy mouthfeel.

In all, this is a very big (9% ABV), very malty and (above all) very hoppy IPA. As you might expect, this beer fills you up fast. Enjoy it when you are only going to have one or two or you'll end up bloated (and likely, hammered -- not that that's a bad thing every once in awhile). (1,140 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Wow, I had heard so much about this beer and now am glad to realize that it really did live up to its reputation. Pours a cloudy golden pearlike color with a good sized foaming white head. Lots of bubbles racing to the top. Smell is very citrusy and I definitely feel an alcohol burn on my nose hairs. This beer has a depth of which I have not encountered too many times before. Very, very hoppy yet not too bitter. The malt base is superb. Lots of caramel malts and a somewhat wheaty base. Hops are mainly citrusy but there a variance in the citrus flavors. Alcohol fussels work with the beer and provide more depth and complexity. This is simply a world class brewed beer. Michigan needs to get Dogfish Head! (710 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +4%

Poured milky amber dirt-brown with a creamy head. Hints of oranges and peaches hiding behind a strong hop aroma. This is a beer of two well-balanced extremes: sweet, sugary fruity alcohol taste juxtaposed (I've been waiting to use that word) with a strong needling hoppy bite that will pop open all your taste buds. They don't cancel each other out, rather they twist your taste buds around so much your tongue tingles like an arm or leg that's just 'waking up' from being asleep for hours - but it goes down silky-smooth, and it's, er, even refreshing. Insane.

Very drinkable, more than 3 will make you slap-happy. Go for it. (629 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours apricot (now there is a fancy-ass color for you) with a mild white head. Light carbonation.

Strong citrusy hop rush to the nose, with a hint of the piney hops following.

Dang. This stuff beats you over the head and then takes your lunch money. Big piney hops, with a blast of the citrus. It almost cools the mouth, drying it out like cottonmouth. A hint of peach is in there.

Very smooth for the amount and variety of hops present.

After drinking this for a while, I was suprised to see my glass still half full. Make no mistake, this is a big beer, completly different from it's little brother, the equally impressive in it's own way 60 minute IPA. (667 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a cloudy golden color - small white head diminishes instantly. Aroma is intense hops - fruity and citric. The flavor is surprisingly well balanced between very strong hop spicyness and a strong pale malt. This makes for a very drinkable imperial, as no taste or feel overpowers another. Little lacing - mouthfeel is full, chewy and intensely flavorful. Did I mention this brew is intense? (394 characters)

4.23/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Orange colour full of golden highlights. The small head is a shade away from white and doesn't last long. Subtle hops on the nose, seems to be alot going on in this beer. Taste is full of citrus that impart a very bitter feel. Much stronger malt presence than I've noticed in other imperial IPAs. Silky mouthfeel then I'm left with a lingering bitterness in the back of my mouth. Pretty sure I'll be trying this again! (418 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Beautiful beer, and a surprise. When I first pursed it,, beautiful light copper color with a nice head that lingered. Then I smelled it...I was worried for a minute. Did I just spend $10 on a four pack that was going to be just like the Harpoon IPA? The hops were present, but it reminded me of Harpoon, which I am not fond of. Then I tasted. WOW. Fantastic. Nice hoppines but perfect balance. Felt , as my non-beer drinking wife put it, "creamy"
This will now be a regular in my household. Could drink these all day, but at 9%, I think it would knock me on my ass after a few. (578 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

A unique experience from beginning throughout. Citrus aroma. Dark orange color. Bit of lace for attractiveness. Hop attack on tongue and bitterness on palate. Unique mellower finish, after all those bubbles. Very drinkable.
Resampled in March 2005 same ranking, more pine aroma. (278 characters)

Courtesy of PSUDREW... Poured a bronze color with about a finger's worth of head. There was surprisingly little hop aroma I thought, what was there had a citrusy note to it. The taste was piney, maybe spruce, with a lingering hop aftertaste. A modest malt background. Medium mouthfeel, just a little creamy.

I'd been looking forward to trying this one, but was surprised how average I thought it was. I thought the 60 Minute was a far superior beer. (453 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

After getting my greedy hands on as much 60 minute as I could find, I'm really looking forward to this 12 oz. bugger.

Pours crystal clear orange amber with a foamy, rocky white head. I can't wait, I cant' wait.

Smells citrusy, pine, and some smokiness. Smells like hot pine needles.

Taste is big. Really big. No, I mean BIG. Piney and citrusy, with a curious and wonderful smokey quality. Ever bite into a pine cone? I haven't, but if I did, I would hope it would taste like this. Spruce overtones. Hops stick around.

Oily mouthfeel but a full-bodied beer here.

Potent 9 ABV makes this one dangerous because it's so easy to drink ... quickly. (657 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very clear and golden in color, with a creamy white head that quickly reduces to a nice 5 mm foam that leaves a nice lace on the glass. Noticeably sweet and hoppy aroma previews a nicely balanced blend of citrus, hops, and alcohol that is quite pleasing to my taste buds. More prevalent malts than other beers of the same style, bringing a nice (and rare) balance to a highly-hopped beer.

This isn't the single best IPA or double IPA I've ever had, but it's among a very elite handful. Great stuff. (501 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

very nice beer.
poured out a nice amber, orangish color with a nice head that reduces rapidly
smell: hops, very similar smell to that of 60 minute (grassy, piney, bitter, but not as strong
taste:first hit of hops is rather smooth with some grass and pine notes a little backdrop of sugar, quite nice, then hits with a bigger hop thats more bitter
overall it's a very drinkable beer, I liked it but I'm not sure how often I would spend the $9 on a 4 pack... (461 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Blue Tusk, Syracuse, NY

Eye Candy: The color and clarity should instantly clue you in about the ABV and % of hops in this fighting fish. Poured with a small head but plenty of lacing present. Gold in color with a swirling, translucent haze.

Skunk-aroma: Whoa, a mix of everything. Pine and floral followed by kick of hops really clerared out my nose. Pretty intense on the floral note of the hops, only a slight citrus was detected.

Tongueland: Thick and vivacious. Assaulted with sweetness up front and bitter bringing up the rear. Left the desired "oily" lingering aftertaste that pale ale lovers crave. Girlfriend finished almost a whole pint before it warmed to the point of no return and the alcohol took over. Warming on tongue due to high ABV. I prefer beers that have a taste progression over a temp range, and 90 min stood out in this category.

Chugability: If you want to make it untill 9 pm, no. Otherwise, enjoy your 3 hours (if you're lucky).

Bender Factor: Oh yeah. I would do this if 1) I had a ride, 2) I had a bar tab, 3) I was wearing depends, and 4) I was taped to my bar stool. (1,122 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +6.1%

My second review, this time from a 12 oz. bottle, the previous from a 750ml, ah, but I was so much older, then, I'm younger than that now...
Gorgeous peachy color, big, fresh, full head of bone-white foam.
Aroma: BAM! Whoppity-snappityBAM!BOOM!BAM!, that's the full force of the pine up in there, the intense grapefruit, all the citric flavor that embarks on the senses and nevers flags for a second, grassy, herbal, potent, totally hoppy, sprucey, piney, pineappley, so much going on in this nose!
But, to taste...Ah! A wonderful mess here, a big, mix of hops and citric fruity flavor, the punchy pine on the palate, yum, yum, yum. If you're not sufficiently infatuated with humulous lupus, sit this one out, by all means. A big, sticky, fruity, citric mouthfeel, and, yeah, there's grapefruit, but so much more. Like licking a forest floor, at times, this one, if I may be so bold. Yeah, but if it's hops you want, lean back and enjoy this onslaught, it's astonishingly tasty!
Love it, love it, love it!

Thanks to cokes for the reunion with this deliciousness! (1,069 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

Nice looking beer - glowing amber with a flowery, citrus nose. Initial taste is dry & bitter, hop taste & aroma are everywhere. They're earthy and quite enjoyable & somehow not ridiculously bitter. This onslaught is followed by a bit of sour acid & very sticky syrup. Finishes with caramel sweetness. A touch too heavy on the candied sweetness to be at the top of this style, but overall a very good imperial. (409 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +7.3%

I just recently sampled and reviewed the 90-Minute IPA for the first time from the bottle. I was extremely unimpressed and decided that I would never try this beer again. But, on a recent trip to NYC, the Blind Tiger had this brew on-tap and served via a Randall. I just couldn't pass up the oppurtunity to try out this new and unique serving device.

Smell: My God. The amount of raw, unadulterated hops that rose up out of the glass was unbelievable. It was huge and oily smelling, comprised mainly of pine and grapefruit. It was absolutely thick and heavenly.

Taste: I have never had a beer that had this much raw hop flavor to it without having hardly any bitterness. That's right. Almost no bitterness. But the hops flavor was huge. I could imagine that this is what it is like to pop a few hops cones in my mouth and start chewing. This flavor was complimented by a large malt presence that was strong enough to leave my lips sticky. It was almost too much, considering the lack of bitterness in this beer.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, gave me any hints that this beer was the same one that I tried from the bottle just a few weeks before. The only thing that kept it from getting a perfect taste score was the lack of bitterness to balance out the heavy malt sweetness. (1,284 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours from the bottle a hazy, orangish yellow, with a thin off-white head, which diminishes rather quickly leaving only a very thin layer of gray/white bubbles--although this thin layer of a head manages to produce some sticky lacing on the glass. Nice strong aroma of hops--flowers, spice, and some citrus scents--issue forth from the glass. Tastes as expected from the strong hoppy smell: nice hop flavors (flowers and citrus fruits) with a good bitter finish. Some malty sweetness is present as well, although fairly hidden behind the wall of hops. A very drinkable and tasty Imperial IPA. (592 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -9%

A descent looking amber, some what intermediate in depth of color. A nice off-white head which lasts the duration. A slightly hoppy smell, nothing overwhelming. A nice taste of hops. Given a 9.0 % ABV, there was a suprising pleasant absence of alcohol taste. Average mouthfeel. A nice tasty beer, not soemthing I would want to drink more than one of in a sitting however. (371 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance: Golden-brown, with a two finger, white head that remains for a few minutes.
Smell: Big, quality hop smell.
Taste: A big blast of hops, followed by apple and grapefruit tastes. It leaves hop bitterness in every corner of the mouth for a long time. Really great tasting hops. Considering the ABV, the alcohol is very well hidden, but it does become more evident near the bottom of the glass. A phenominal flavor overall.
Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy, almost buttery texture.
Drinkability: Oh boy, this is a great IPA! It's hard NOT to drink one everyday. This is a top-tier IPA. (590 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a golden orange with a rocky white head.

Smells of Cascade /Columbus hops, can't wait to drink this.

Nice hoppy bite. Hops are a little piney a touch of citrus, and a little woody. Medium body brew with light carbonation. A sweet/fruit taste due to the higher alcohol content. The hops were not off set by the sweetness. This was a true Imperial IPA.

A crisp beer. A refreshing beer. One of my favorite. (418 characters)

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery