Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,716 | Hads: 14,515
4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

B - U - E - N - O: everything that's been written before; near perfect representation of the imperial IPA style with an ABV that is strong but perfect for a 12 oz bottle - Cheers (178 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -9.2%

Deep amber to light copper in color with a quarter inch of off white comprised of tiny, tightly knit bubbles. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles rise in synch to the top. Heavy lacing is coating the sides of the glass. I don't get much aroma from this. What little I get is a faint whiff of citrus and grainy malt. The flavor is a pungent citrus explosion with a light bready malt backbone. The tiny bubbles and heavy hop presence tickles your tongue and the finish is dry and slightly chalky. (495 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm not much of a IPA drinker but this IPA goes down smooth with no after taste. It doesn't have a strong hoppy or bitter taste. Best ipa iv tasted so far. (155 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Full disclosure: drunk from the bottle after purchasing at a bodega. I normally never drink from a bottle and always from a beer glass or wine glass.

Having said that, I didn't love it, it had nice hop notes but a peculiar finish that I was trying to pinpoint or more so, to enjoy....I will have to try again from a proper vessel (331 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: Clear, amber, copper color with a half inch white pillowy head, beautiful lacing down the glass with a thin layer of bubbles blanketing the top

S: Malts first, caramel, then some hops, floral. The balance is evident from the beginning.

T: Caramely sweet malts to begin but almost instantly the floral hops come in to compensate and make a great tasting beer.

M: Medium to full mouth presence, carbonated well

O: Oh man, What a great beer. I really love this. If your a beer lover then you have to try this one. Great malt presence with a nice hop balance. All the measurables are terrific. (606 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours clear amber color. One inch of white head. Large carbonation bubbles.
Nice head retention with watery but ample lacing.

S: Very fruity. Every type you could think of. Dark/sweet/ spicy/ citric.

T/M: Very malty at first. Nuts and caramel. More sweet malts and grains. Fruits
are sweet and balance great with the bitter hops. Hop flavors are strong but never
overpower the rest the flavors. A spiciness comes in with a strong bite. Alcohol
burn comes in a little. Aftertaste is juicy.

O: Amazingly balanced IIPA. Complex without the hop bomb of newer beers. It also
has a distinct taste which helps pull it away from other clone IPA's.

Cheers!!! (660 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

this one took me a while to get used to. at first, it was really hoppy and strong. the more i drank it, the more my taste buds adapted to the flavors. everything shone through the 3 time i had it. the taste just reminds me a lot of caramel and citrus (250 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottled 2/26/2015.

Appearance: Pours a bright amber color with quite a bit of white head. The lacing is very evident, as each sip leaves a personalized ring on the glass (note, enjoyed out of a pint glass rather than the suggested snifter)

Smell: Right off the bat, I get quite a bit of fresh hops. As I continue to drink this beer, I can smell something citrus and sweet. Not sure if they are part of the same flavor, or two completely different flavors.

Taste: This is a very mild/smooth beer for its style (compared to some others I've had like Hopslam), and I really like that about it. The citrus smell I was getting I can definitely taste, as well as that sweet smell. The first taste that really hits me is pine, and the rest of the flavors seem to follow with a slightly bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Not quite as filling as I'd like it to be, which makes it unbelievably drinkable. For a beer 'best savored from a snifter', this one is a little too easy on the taste buds. Carbonation sounds high upon opening the bottle, but I actually got a light/moderate level of carbonation.

Overall: Being relatively new to BA (but not craft beers), I've had my eyes opened to different highly rated beers. Being relatively accessible, I want to try what I can. I was pretty impressed with the smoothness of this beer given what it has to offer. Definitely glad I bought a 4 pack of it, and will definitely buy it again in the future. (1,443 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm probably not the person to review an IPA, because I typically avoid them like strippers named Mercedes... Nevertheless, this was a pretty decent beer and probably the first IPA I didn't feel like having to force down-- hell, I'd even drink it again...
Cheers! (263 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Not for the faint of heart my friends, this beer will certainly creep up on you! Rich in color and scents, bold and to some aggressive favors. All around a great purchase beer! Not so much in public given its toxicity!!! (220 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this amazing beer before but I hadn't had a chance to review it until now.

A - Beautiful deep orange color. Mostly clear with a big bright white head and great lacing.

S - Pungent hop fragrance with lots of citrus, grapefruit, pine, and resiny tones. Could smell it before I picked it up. Almost perfume like from the magnitude of aromatics.

T - Full flavored with a ton of hop character that has citrus, resin, pine, and grapefruit. Full bitterness but it is complimented by the hop candy like sweetness on the front of the tongue. The malt is lighter and only stands to compliment which is how I like my DIPAs. It is cleaner and more of the straightforward citrus/grapefruit character than some of the new DIPAs but overall great flavor.

M - Full mouth-feel with good carbonation. This beer has all the flavor but with higher carbonation and significant bitterness this one doesn't stick to the palate profusely.

Overall, a terrific DIPA. Great aroma, flavor, feel, appearance, but with some serious hop bitterness to go great with spicy foods. There are more tropical hop flavored beers out there but this one does the more traditional West Coast style perfectly. This brew is serious on the tongue and I would strongly recommend it to anyone that likes hops.

Glass- Tulip (1,294 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this the day after trying the 60 minute IPA. No comparison. Much more head on this one and the "malt backbone" gives it a sweet taste. Really sweet. I really like both the 60 and 90.....60 if you like more of hop/slight bitter taste, 90 for a sweeter, creamier, complex taste. Both great beers I will buy regularly. I think the sweetness makes this more of an introductory beer for those new to craft IPAs. One of the best beers I've had. (443 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It'a damn good IPA. It has a little something different from most of the west-coast IPA's I'm used to, but it doesn't detract--just a little different. (152 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

*transferred from old noted - 12/28/2015*
Poured from tap into 10oz flute. Pleasant and mild aroma consisting mostly of hops and grass (maybe more floral than grassy) but I could pick up whiffs of citrus (orange mostly), and mild, buttery caramel. It pours sparkling golden-orange with nice finger-width, slightly off-white, head consisting of evenly sized small bubbles. This pour had the benefit of a glass which must?ve had etching on the bottom - there was a constant stream of carbonation feeding the head, giving it a presence throughout the drink (the flute has an etching on the bottom), and leaving a nice lacing around the glass by the end. Even in a plastic glass, the head retention is generous, creamy, and fluffy and has a lot of sheet lace. The taste is a balanced medium high, citrus bittersweet. It?s a nice, medium body, a bit sticky with a mild hop flavor lingering. The constant head gives it the benefit of being creamy and frothy throughout, but it doesn?t feel fizzy at all. It’s a medium body, a bit sticky, that’s creamy and thick but also smooth with flavors of bread toast, biscuit, and caramel with some citrus. There?s a reason Dogfish Head gets so much credit for their beers, and this is a shining example of how to make and Imperial IPA without over-doing any aspect of it. (1,310 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is the gold standard for Craft IPAs in my book. It was my first beer I had when I turned 21 and it is still amoung my favourites. It has wonderful balance and I couldn't recommend this brew more, if you haven't tried any of Dogfish Heads brews I would say run to the store and pick some of this up, crack open a few and enjoy brewing perfection. Its just a good honest beer that is very drinkable and not overpowering in any way. This is how a Imperial IPA should taste in my opinion. 5/5
O.B.D91 (503 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Brilliant coper tinted gold under a 2” fluffy white foam collar that grips the side of the glass leaving line of lace.
S: Floral, spicy citrus nose with fruit and malt.
T: Starts with creamy malt and as the foam calms down fruit flavors emerge seasoned by big hop flavors.
M: Creamy, smooth fine soft medium to medium high carbonation, medium full body, slight warmth from the alcohol.
O: Big deliscious Imperial IPA with just the right balance between alcohol, malt, fruit and hop. (491 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

(Draft; revisited) at Redcoats in Pleasanton. Spicy smell and first taste. Maltiness comes through on 2nd taste. Under-hopped for this style. Still a good beer though. (168 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +16.8%

I've NEVER had any beer this good before!!! For me, everything about this beer was PERFECT! I had to go with 4.75 on "Smell" to leave room for discovering an unexpected and yet unknown beer... I've never claimed to have fallen in love with a beer before, but now, I have. Totally infatuated. :-) (296 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

$2.99 at the local Total Wine for the bottle. Bottled 2.5.15, drank on 3.31.15.

Pours a honey, translucent-amber. Smells like a delicious, malt-bombed IPA; grapefruit-citrus notes lightly splattered throughout. Tastes much the same with a solid malt/barely backbone and grapefruit notes that seem to piece through the tail-end. Clean finish of malty pith. Simply, the epitome of a well-balanced American DIPA, 90 ibus rarely go down this easily. DFH seems like they know what they're doing here...

Great with a sharp cheddar cheese.

What she said: "UGHCK.. this is really bad. Horrible." (She's not an IPA fan.) (618 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a citrus aroma along with a whiff of alcohol.
Appearance- Pours a clear amber color with almost zero head.
Taste- Hops and malt with an alcohol bite.
Palate- A heavy bodied brew with mild carbonation. This beer has a very dry finish.
Overall- A really good beer but I didn't enjoy it enough to give it world class ratings. (381 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Nice copper look to it, the ABV is very evident but not excessive as the very present hops give it a nice balanced flavor. It actually has a smooth feel to it, which is a pleasant surprise. Overall in terms of flavor I am more of a fan of the 60 minute IPA but this is still a masterpiece of a beer from an elite microbrewery. I would love to get my hands on the 120 minute IPA, which is the granddaddy of them all in terms of ABV (430 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip. A hazy orange-amber ale topped with an off-white one-finger head that has decent retention. Very good lacing, as to be expected from a heavily-hopped ale.

Aroma is sweet, citrus fruits, vanilla, garnished with a floral hop overtone. Not as pungent as many IPAs, though.

Flavors are rich fruits, banana, caramel malts, light, pastry-like breads up front. Grapefruit, lemon zest, and pine-y hop notes come in strong after, but the strength of the malt backbone keeps the 90 IBU bitterness from devastating the taste buds. Finish is fairly long and sweet/sour, accompanied by a noticeable alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel is smooth and and not overly heavy. The body of this rather malt-heavy beer is offset by a fairly strong carbonation.

A well-known, well respected Imperial IPA who's reputation is well-deserved. The muscular malt character here does much to offset the strong hops. Many die-hard hop-heads may not appreciate this, as the result lacks the overwhelming blast of hop-bitterness that many other IPAs flaunt. Those who like a heavier beer and enjoy the malt aspect as well as the hops will find much to love here. (1,175 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of my go to IPA's. Has a relatively pronounced taste of alcohol, but the hops do help in disguising that. On the higher side of ABV at 9%, thus it can pack a pretty nice punch. Not the best IPA I have had, or even among them, but it is a solid choice and readily available. (277 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Imperial IPA that is just a little weak overall. The flavor did outdo the alcohol, which I suppose is a decent feat of brewing. The warmth of the booze hits your stomach, but the candied citrus taste is rich enough to hide it when drinking. I expected more from this with the attributions proudly displayed on the label. Overpriced, I think. Banking on the reputation I suppose.

I won't say the Emperor has no clothes here, but they could use a little tailoring. (469 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -17.7%

Had this reasonably fresh and it still reminded me more of a Barleywine or a hoppy Strong Ale like Brown Shugga than a DIPA. Malty and sweet with moderate bitterness. Not nearly as hoppy as I had hoped. (202 characters)

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery