1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

FortFort

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
View: Beers (137) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
Ratings: 925 | Reviews: 487 | Show All Ratings:
scruffwhor

4.85/5  rDev +32.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle. Awesome artwork. Think I might get one of their shirts from the website.

Appearance- Pours a spritzy head with minor retention. Color reminded me of when T took a cherry Juicy Juice box and poured it into a glass. Color is a light rose and amber. With some consistant lacing.

Smell- An inspiring mix of alcohol, rasberries, hints of wheat, and sugary candy.

Taste- Starts out as rasberry juice that proceeds into a more sugary rasberry flavor. I found it amazing I could taste the FRESH, REAL rasberries in this beer. The rasberry flavor was not cloying at all. The suagry rasberry then mixed with the alcohol to give it some very comfortable warmth. The finish was a mix of fresh rasberries eaten straight from the basket, sugared rasberries, wheat, bananas, and of course alcohol.

Mouthfeel- Pretty good carbonation that enhanced the subdued sweetness of the rasberries, but helped to bring out the wheat used in this beer. Just spectacular.

I've had two bottles of this so far, this is a reveiew of my second bottle drank. The first was with my girlfriend (who is not a big beer drinker period, but she humored with this one) who thought it was stupendous. When I shared my second bottle with my friend, he thought it was a real treat. Further proof that he really enjoyed it, is that he drank a wine glass full over the course of 45 minutes. This is a rarity with my ber guzzling buddy. Who has drank a lot of my other craft beers a little quicker than I would've liked. But this beer seemed to grow on me more and moe with each sip from each bottle. Hands down, my favorite fruit beer thus far.

P.S. I have one bottle I'm gonna forget about for awhile and report on the results.

03-07-2006 04:35:48 | More by scruffwhor
Kakaraht

British Columbia (Canada)

4.83/5  rDev +31.6%

A: Pours a crisp rose color with a decent white head that goes quickly.

S: Insanely like raspberry, as if they are being crammed into my olfactory. Extremely sweet and a little essence of pale malt extract with a waft of alcohol.

T: Rich creamy and so much raspberry goodness it is almost overwhelming. It has so much raspberry depth, nothing like any other fruit beer I have ever had. It does not contain that fake sugary fruit essence, or a thin I can almost imagine it flavor. The alcohol is almost covered for such a strong beer, but as it warms it does start to creep up. The tartness of the raspberry's does get covered up by bozzyness as it warms too.

M:Thick, heavy, creamy, and it sticks making your tongue beg for more tart raspberry.

D: Extremely drinkable for an 18% brew, would be hard to drink more than one though.

01-18-2011 02:03:21 | More by Kakaraht
SWMeyer4141

4.83/5  rDev +31.6%

2008 Vintage

Split 4 ways, poured into a claret.

Appearance-A vibrant goldish color. Very hazy, can't see a damn thing through it. Little head, an off white one. You can just see the sticky beer clinging to the glass when swirling it.

Smell-Aroma was amazing. Just sweet ripe raspberries. It's boozy, but nothing like WWS or 120, and I was expecting a boozy mess. Only other aroma I get is a honey like sweetness, but boy this smells inviting.

Taste-Oustanding. Just can't believe how much this beer worked. Just a crazy amount of fresh raspberries in every sip. Upfront and towards the finish, and it didn't get old. Finish was on the dryer side that made me want to keep sipping. You can really feel the alcohol running through your veins, but not so much when consuming it. I drank this at about 45 degrees i'd guess, and when it warmed the booze definitely came out more, but so did a little more complexity. Sweet honey and a good amount of caramel and toffee notes came out too. Just oustanding all the way around.

Mouthfeel-Creamy, nice carbonation. Big mouthfeel, thick and chewy.

Overall-What else can I say. I really had to find the time to drink this. Obviously your not going to drink this all to yourself, although I probably could throughout a course of a day after trying it, and loving it. I honestly was expecting a sloppy mess even w/ the 3 years of age but it was just oustanding. Shocked by all the negative reviews on this one, I want more, and I'm already working on it. Amazing.

11-27-2011 15:41:27 | More by SWMeyer4141
120minuteman

4.78/5  rDev +30.2%

2007 vintage:

Appearance: A dark rosy red, much like a cider
Smell: A basket of rasberries, salmonberries and a hint of pear
Taste: Covered a wide range of flavors, starting from sweet and ending in sour. This bottle is less fruity than a younger bottle that I've had, and has become far more complex over time.
Mouthfeel: Not much retention, but felt like a young scotch at times
Overal: I would highly recommend this beer, great as an after dinner drink with some friends. If you see if, pick up 2 bottles: one for now, the other for later (5-years later)

08-24-2012 14:09:15 | More by 120minuteman
DersOne

Wisconsin

4.74/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2005 vintage bottle poured into a DFH tulip glass and served at roughly 50°F

A-Pink grapefruit/ruby deep color, medium sized bubbles in head with minimal lacing, small effervescent bubbles from bottom of glass.

S-Sweet heavy malt and molasses, fading to sweet fruit, a bit of dark fruit on top of the main raspberry notes.

T-First impression is a raspberry hard candy with a bit of resiny molasses. Light booze given the ABV, slightly tart, small, enjoyable alcohol burn that fades slowly.

M-"Wet" mouthfeel, good effervescence with lingering tingle, coats the mouth well to let the flavors sink in, lasting character.

O-4.75/5 because this one was a bit carboardy due to its age and may have been just slightly past its prime. Maybe the 2006-2007 would have scored a 5, will seek out more for future sampling. An exemplary fruit beer.

11-25-2013 18:46:53 | More by DersOne
BirdFlu

4.73/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a red colour which is lighter on the edges.
The tate is very strong up front. Tangly and similar to DFH Olde School Barleywine. Theres a lot of really big flavor going on here. Lots of sweetness right after you swallow, which is when the raspberry seems more noticeable. A little bitter in the tonsil areas. Its similar to 120 minute or Olde School but with fruity sweetness and tang.
Mouth is very powerfully tangy and very carbonated. Its pretty thick and a bit syrupy.
Aroma is sweet and tangy, but develops as it opens up. More raspberry aroma becomes present later on, but it is still subdued. If it was any sweeter it would seem fake and inorganic.
Its a real sipping thing, like a wine. Def a bit boozey. It is a bit smooth relative to its high ABV, though. Almost reminds me of mountain dew or other fruity soda.

It really opens up in flavor and aroma, like wine does, as its been sitting open. So it gets better as you get further into it.

01-05-2009 19:06:56 | More by BirdFlu
beergurujr

4.6/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

first thing: i cannot believe that this is an 18% beer. way, way too well balanced. however, i'll go along with the listed ABV, for now anyway.

visual: hazy strawberry blonde. moderate head and carbonation.

aroma: raspberries. simple, but good.

foretaste: raspberry extract-like. interesting. i like it.

mouthfeel: medium to heavy.

midpalate: raspberry and hop; alcohol (assuming it is really 18% ABV) extremely well hidden. perhaps a huge hopping rate to make this so drinkable?

aftertaste: pretty much raspberry extract. dry.

you'd expect such an extreme beer to be way malty, way sweet. this isn't. kudos to DFH.

buzz is hitting me now, shortly after downing this one rather quickly. it may actually be 18% ABV as listed. but as i wrote, very, very well balanced, regardless of actual ABV. a winner!

12-30-2005 06:34:37 | More by beergurujr
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

4.6/5  rDev +25.3%

166 reviews as of this writing so I'll take a slightly different track this morning. I have wanted to try this for some time. For the record I am not a raspberry fan. I have heard good things about this beer and I finally got to trying it this weekend. It drinks amazingly well balanced and subtle. Both for the ABV and the raspberrys. Deceptively smooth and rich at the halfway point you know you've ventured into a very strong beer. I gave up at about 3/4ths recognizing if I drank anymore I'd be hurting seriously the next day instead of just tired.

I highly recommend trying this and splitting it with a friend. This beer truly redifines the boundaries of a fruit beer in a way I would never have considered.

08-20-2007 13:03:07 | More by barleywinebrewer
adamette

4.6/5  rDev +25.3%

My 750th review! Live Review. Poured from the 1 pint, 9.6 fl. oz. bottle that I purchased for $20.09 at Siciliano's in Grand Rapids, MI on or about 10 19 09 while on vacation there. "Bottled on" date of 07/09/07. Poured into my silver rimmed Stone Levitation Ale tulip like glass.

A Significant but brief light brown head that dissipated within a few minutes to a ring around the top of the beer. Body is a pleasing brown that is very dense, letting only a little light through around the edges in front of direct light, creating a nice glow of brown surrounded by bright orange. Beer from the bottom of the bottle (after I drank the first glass) was darker, more brown than the first pour. 4.0

S Sweet malt, raspberries and a kick of alcohol (not a surprise I suppose) which reminds me of many of the Belgian Strong Dark Ales that I have encountered, likely thanks to the sweet malt presence contained within. Of course, I really like this smell. 4.5

T Well, this is a potent beer with strong waves of (in order of how I experienced them)
1. alcohol
2. sweet malt goodness
3. a nice, real raspberry taste
4. lingering malt, yeast goodness with a return of alcohol burn
5. distant raspberry taste well after last sip...5 minutes or more...that is a welcomed touch
This is a wild ride of taste explosions in a beer that demands your attention. Exceptional taste. 5.0

M Absolutely huge feel with carbonation that only adds to the bigness of the beer. I tasted/rated 120 Minute IPA last night and its feel was actually too big but the huge mouthfeel of this beer is welcomed as it suits the other tastes better. 4.5

D The drinkability cannot be the highest due to the very high ABV (the highest in its style!) but I finished the bottle within 30 minutes and really enjoyed it. 4.0

Notes: Simply a great beer from Dogfish Head and my favorite among the Theoromba/Sahti/Pangea line of extreme beers from DFH. It would probably be best if this is shared among friends or even with some chocolate truffles or even chocolate covered strawberries. Bravo, bravo!

11-11-2009 04:51:48 | More by adamette
ZX6Chris

4.6/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Golden brown. Barely any head. Bubbles around the edge.

S-Sweet Unripened raspberries. Smells really nice.

T-Great raspberry flavor, of course the alcohol comes through, dry tart finish.

M-Medium body. Kind of like a raspberry liqueur but not too syrupy. Great carbonation

D-Slow easy drinker.

05-24-2010 02:54:20 | More by ZX6Chris
MarvinSnyder

West Virginia

4.59/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A 1 pint/9.6 fl oz poured into a glass mug. Bottled in 2008 and cellared.

Appearance: Pours a clear pumpkin/ amber orange with a small white head that stays throughout. No real lacing.

Smell: Raspberries, raspberry tart, candy, and alcohol on the nose. Very malty. The raspberries bring both sweet and sour qualities.

Taste: Both sweet and sour in the taste. Nicely balanced. At 18% the alcohol is present in the taste and warms as it is consumed.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and somewhat sticky over the palate. A sweet beginning but finishes tart. Extremely Slight carbonation.

Overall: This is truly one of my favorite beers. A unique beer even for the style. I was actually lucky enough to meet Sam at the old Brickskeller in Washington DC and begged him not to stop brewing this awesome beer.

10-16-2013 19:58:34 | More by MarvinSnyder
nriech

4.58/5  rDev +24.8%

Purchased in Richmond Va at Carytown W&B. Poured with a slight head that disappears quickly. The smell of raspberries and alcohol come immediately from the glass.

The first sip I think this is some sort of raspberry champagne. Then the hops come out slightly and then as you breath the alcohol comes out. Nice warm feeling on the tounge, doesnt overpower the flavors though. Excellent ballance of the 3. The berry flavor seems to stay in the cheeks.

The only down for me was the body was pretty good but seemed a little heavier than I would have expected. Im not sure how much sugar was used but maybe a little less, even if it lowered the alcohol, would have been nice.

This is overall the best beer to introduce someone unlearned in the quality beer world, or even beer for that matter. It would absolutely hook anyone, including me, who didnt mind a little cha-ching for an excellent beer. Got one more Im holding on to with a Pangea for special occasions.

02-20-2006 13:51:47 | More by nriech
clvand0

Kentucky

4.58/5  rDev +24.8%

Pours a light red color with a small head that falls quickly and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma is only slightly sweet with a lot of raspberry notes and almost no alcohol. Very interesting. A lot less sweetness than I expected. The flavor is much the same - lots of raspberry flavors without being too sweet. The finish is smooth and leaves a great aftertaste. Absolutely no hint of the 18% abv. The body is moderate and the drinkability is wonderful for the alcohol levels. Another great one from DFH.

02-20-2006 17:49:47 | More by clvand0
kindacold

4.58/5  rDev +24.8%

Poured from bottle into a goblet of sorts. Nice color, exactly what one would expect with the pureed raspberries. Nice white head. Smelled pleasantly of berries and alcohol. First taste was very powerful. The alcohol give it almost a spicy/cinnamon flavor, which combines nicely with the sweetness of the raspberries. If one holds it in the mouth for a bit, allowing it to hit different parts of the tongue, the alcohol becomes more evident, but still goes down easy. Aftertaste is of berries and a bit of malt. Very drinkable, especially sitting outside on a hot sunny day. After about 1/4 of the bottle, I drank the rest while eating a roast beef panini, and it was an excellent combination. I think it would also go well with a chocolate torte or some other heavy meal or dessert. Can't wait to get another bottle of this!

05-15-2007 17:07:36 | More by kindacold
KFaulkner

4.58/5  rDev +24.8%

Hooooly crap... this beer is awesome.

So this is the first beer I've sampled that is more than 13% ABV... and I really thought I'd be far more disappointed than this....

Thankfully I was way off.

First of all, it was sort of what I expected strangely enough. I sort of imagined this "raspberry fruit beer" to be more like a sour/Flemish ale. And strangely enough, this beer reminds me very much of Rodenbach.

I think this brew is world class and only wish it could be more than just a fruit beer; I feel like it's more of a sour ale. It's deep, complex and exciting all at once. This is what all you Russian Imperial fanboys only wished Imperial Stouts could be.

Not that I don't love a good Russian Imperial. But this beer knocked my socks off. And maybe I haven't had enough great beers, but Rodenbach knocked my socks off too, but this beer knocked them off MORE.

Unfair to put this in a category as specialized as Rodenbach? Maybe... but who am I but a beer lover. I know what I like... this beer isn't sweet or overpowering. It's not comparable to anything else out here. It's 18% ABV of nearly unintentional beer bliss that goes down way smoother than it should and begs (literally BEGS) for another sip.

And that, to me, is what great beer is all about.

05-24-2008 01:07:25 | More by KFaulkner
pastradul

4.58/5  rDev +24.8%

Big thanks to wchesak for this one.

Appearance is a burgundy brown, with a slight bit of head but not a lot.

The smell is almost ripe rasberries, just leaving tart and entering sweet.

the flavour is great. Not at all what i was expecting. Nothing like other rasberry beers where it tastes like melted sherbet. This is fir sure a strong ale made with fruit. I nice malt backbone supporting the rasberry flovour through out the whole taste.

Paired with a rasberry dark chocolate is amazing.

might need to get another bottle and age this one.

05-24-2010 15:11:09 | More by pastradul
drumstik

Maryland

4.55/5  rDev +24%

Pours a ruby/amber color. Almost looks like a mix of grapefruit and apple juices. Minimal head the fizzles away.

Smells of sugary raspberries, alcohol, and just the slightest hint of hops.

Carbonation is felt on the tounge as well as a slight alcohol warmth followed up by a juicy/tart raspberry flavor. Hints of vanilla and caramel come through along with a bit of spice and hops. The raspberry flavor is very natural and almost more of a candied raspberry shortcake type flavor.

This would go great with a piece of rich creamy cheesecake to finish off the night and put you to bed! One of the most out there fruit beers I have ever tasted and it is oh so good! Thanks DFH!

02-18-2006 03:23:29 | More by drumstik
NolateM

Connecticut

4.55/5  rDev +24%

Very fresh bottle, only about a month old.

Poured into a Corsendonk Christmas Ale goblet. Fairly cloudy amber color. Dissipated head, but nice ring and lacing.

Lots of alcohol in the aroma, but fresh fruit comes through as well.

I had this beer last spring and thought it was good, but getting it fresh this time truly made all the difference, as the fresh bottle REALLY has all the raspberry flavor still intact. Some suggestions of apple and pear come through, as were also apparent when I had it last spring. It has a nice hint of champagne-like tartness (tastes as though it may have been brewed with champagne yeast or something).

Mouthfeel is good for what this beer is... obviously there's a generous amount of alcohol heat (which keeps getting more prevalent as the beer warms), but that goes without saying. Nice spritzy carbonation too.

Buy this as fresh as you possibly can, and serve it at fridge temperature. It really is worth it. What a fantastic, warming, strong, flavorful brew this is. Have it at the end of the night, or with dessert - I paired it with home-made tiramisu, and it was truly exceptional. It makes a delicious (and less expensive) substitute for port wine. It's PORT BEER! I should copyright that name.

About $16 for a 750 mL

12-24-2006 20:22:30 | More by NolateM
jordanmills

4.55/5  rDev +24%

Poured a cloudy red-amber with a little head that left fast. Smells of raspberries and sweetness. Tastes of raspberries and sweetness. Enough of the alcohol comes through to let you know that it's there, but it surprisingly does not at all overwhelm the taste. It's very light on the tongue, compares well to a sparkling fruit wine. I could drink this all night, except the price would break my wallet, and the alcohol would break my balance. It would go very well with a dark chocolate dessert that wasn't too sweet.

12-25-2006 04:25:47 | More by jordanmills
cindyjeffsmith

Georgia

4.55/5  rDev +24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2008 vintage.
Appearance: hazy yellowish read. Not much of an off white head. No surprise for an 18% monster.
Smell: Sweet, rich raspberries. Exotic and inviting.
Taste: more of the same. Braced for an alcohol punch that never came. Sweet but not overly so. The richness and depth offset the sweetness like a fine port.
Overall: Awesome. A work of art from Sam and team. How in the hell do they make an 18%er this easy to drink?

07-04-2012 21:45:14 | More by cindyjeffsmith
berpwillie

4.53/5  rDev +23.4%

i was pleasantly supprised by this beer. not that i though it wouldn't be good, but i suggest taking your first sip while sitting down. The first sip or two is a bit strong but with the abv that is to be expected. Very distinct orange color, with a raspberry aroma you could probably smell from a mile away. Although the taste of raspberry is very strong i thought it was neither over-powering nor over-whelming. Becafeful-for those not prepared a glass or two of this will surely have you buzzzing

03-31-2010 12:58:11 | More by berpwillie
littlebibs

New Hampshire

I first had this at the Boston Beer Fest with
Sam himself pouring and it was the biggest hit
at the Fest. Big lines and Sam trying his best to give out a taste sample and with
everybody going back for more, I don't think
it lasted very long. It has a unique
taste but although its strong it has many flavors
mixing around the raspberry theme. Its an outstanding addition to the extreme side of
beers/ale. Its creamy, with a candied sweetness
that quickly moves past the alcohol, tartness
and a touch of some kind of lime, interesting
nightcap to say the least. Got this for a 50th
birthday gift and had to open it right away.
Classy stuff from a great craft brewer. Sam
you are amoung the best out there, keep it up!

01-19-2008 03:34:52 | More by littlebibs
MinorThreat

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I want to preface this review: I am not an expert when it comes to fruit beer. My girlfriend however; she knows her way around a bottle of framboise. So with regard to my lack of expertise and respect for hers... Sarah take the wheel:

A-Clarity was nice, color is similar to a tawny port, head was pinkish in color and reduces to a skim.

S-shitloads of raspberries (duh)

T-Almost tastes like a raspberry wine, light and refreshing with no cloying sweetness after taste.

M-Hits the pallet with a bright alcohol sense similar to wine but washes clean

D-I could and did chug this

Sam, you're the shit...I found my new beer...buh-bye lambic

01-12-2010 03:01:00 | More by MinorThreat
JohnCurran

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Appearance -Pinkish amber color topped by a half finger white head.

Smell -Imagine standing in a field of raspberries on a cool morning. Now multiply by 10. Slightly tart, slightly sweet, very boozy.

Taste -MMM...raspberries, funk, raspberries, booze, raspberries, malt, booze, raspberries. Not cloyingly sweet, not too tart. A nice balance.

Mouthfeel -A bit heavier than expected but the raspberry, booze, funk and tartness dance around the tongue.

Drinkability -More drinkable than expected. Plowed through the 750 mls on my own over the course of a couple of hours and never got burnt out of the taste.

An enjoyable "extreme" beer. Not for everyday but fun every now and then. Great work Dogfish Head!!!

02-26-2011 04:03:11 | More by JohnCurran
Oakenator

4.48/5  rDev +22.1%

Pours an amber color but with a shade towards red/pink - definitely showing some raspberry color. Head is decent at pour, lingers, and laces for a bit along with the beer but then disappates. Smell from this 1 yr old brew is somewhat boozy but with a berry sweet note present. Taste is heavy sweet upfront with candy showing, alcohol burn on the back of the throat through the middle (but expected at 18%), and then raspberry and candy to finish. A treat to be enjoyed every once in a while!

01-01-2013 01:51:49 | More by Oakenator