Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

ABV varies from 15-18%.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Dogfish Head Fort has a brown-orange colour and a decent head that turns into decent lacing quite quickly. The smell is of fruity alcohol, almost like a permanent marker. I guess that is to be accepted. The taste is sweet and fruity. The alcohol taste is immediately apparent. I like it, but I can understand why some people might not like the prominent ethanol. This beer is quite foamy for a beer of 18 %, and the alcohol sting is always there. Overall, I very interesting and nice fruit beer.

Enjoyed on-tap at the Pickled Pig Pub in Rehoboth Beach, DE

Served and enjoyed from a goblet glass

A - Beer arrived at the table with a half-finger head. A beer is deep amber color. Semi-translucent. The beer appears very thick as I swill the glass and watch as the beer slides down the sides. Little to no lacing left on the glass.

S - The initial aroma is a very sweet, very boozy aroma. Smells sort of like a wine.

T - The beer is very sweet on the first sip. A very distinct raspberry fruitiness that is combined with a sourness. A slight malt taste. No hop biterness at all. The ABV is very noticeable. This is a sipper for sure. The 4oz sample that I purchased was more than enough especially since I was trying other brews.

M - A thicker consistency. A distint alcohol aftertatse.

O - I'm a huge fan of the DFH brews and I was glad I got to try Fort. This beer pushes the boundry between beer and wine more than any other DFH beer I've tried. Although Midas Touch and Noble Rot are wine-like, in my opinion, Fort is almost like a dessert brandy. Decent tasting but not an everyday brew.

Cheers!

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

When I saw a few 25 oz. bottles of this stuff on the shelf, I felt compelled to grab one. Hype or not, this beer demanded a test drive. Poured into a wine glass a crystal clear medium amber, forming a short fluffy head that never completely went away. The bubbles float slowly to the surface from start to finish, foreshadowing the thickness of this beer. The first component of the aroma I notice is a lightly malty, sweet alcohol --almost like champagne or a sweet white wine. The second is raspberries, but not terribly large in the forefront and not too sweet. The taste is strong, winey, and complex. Yes, it tastes sort of like a beer, but it tastes more like a chardonnay. In addition to the sour raspberry flavors, there are hints of pears, grapes, and the banana fruitiness of wheat malt. The mouthfeel is unsurprisingly thick and very fizzy. There's also a prominent heat.

I like Fort, and despite reading a lot of the hype (and anti-hype), its flavor is a surprise to me. It may be something that I only try once, or at most grab on a rare occassion, but it is definitely worth picking up. Like many Dogfish products, it makes for a perspective-widening beer experience.

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Served bright orange with raspberry red highlights - incredible color for a beer, really. No head, not much lace, but that's okay cause' I know what's coming...

You can smell the booze on the nose, along with some sweet fruitiness. I thought from the bottle that there was a lot of cherry character, and I'm getting a lot of that on tap as well.

Big as hell. Sharp booze, but honestly it's less noticeable than in the bomber I had. Very thick, slick mouthfeel, with tons of fruit. Even some chunks of what appear to be berries.

Check this one on tap for sure, especially if you were a little disappointed from the bottle.

Poured from 1pt bottle into chalice

Appearance-Pours a deep amber-red, with a quickly dissipating tan head; the raspberries are clearly apparent in the coloration.

Smell-Raspberries, raspberries and more raspberries; when they say this beer is brewed with a 'ton of raspberries' they aren't kidding.

Taste-Tart raspberries 'obviously' followed by strong alcohol warmth and some malts. A moderate bittering hoppiness towards the finish prevents the brew from becoming overly sweet and rounds everything out nicely.

Mouthfeel-Thick and syrupy, it's hard to drink more than a sip every few minutes but given the ABV that's to be expected.

Drinkability-This is a sipper, but it's a damn good sipper, largely because I absolutely love raspberries. It took me a few hours of sipping to polish off a bottle and it left me quite satisfied.

Notes-If you love raspberries like I do then this is a good beer to sip either by itself or over a fruit-based desert of some kind, or perhaps some dark chocolate.

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a cloudy amber red with no head and not much lace. Smells boozy upfront with sweet fruit. Tastes boozy right from the get go, this beer is huge with big fruit flavors. The mouthfeel is thick and slick and coats the mouth. Drinkability is obviously limited by the hug abv. I poured a glass for my roommate and still got a serious buzz. Bottom line: Tasty brew but way over the top. Make sure to split this big bottle with a friend.

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Comes out of the bottle a hazy honey-golden - quite appealing. Fruity aroma has a bit of an alcohol nip to it. Flavor is mainly fruity - apple, banana and pear - and has a malty undertone as well as a strong, but not fierce, alcohol bite. Texture is smooth and subtly fizzy.

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Split 3 ways into snifters. Drank 9/4/12 (last night), and reviewed from notes (all my reviews are from notes, normally with the beer still being drank).

Appearance: Free pour yields a half inch offwhite head that dissipates quickly. Pours a brownish orange and leaves small bits of lacing.

Smell: Sherry-like, raisiny malt flavors. Good but a little faint.

Taste: Sugary barleywine with tons of raspberry. It's a bit "two note," raspberry punch in the face, really strong caramely malt.

There really isn't anything else to say about this beer, except that it gets a 4 for how delicious the deep, sugary barleywine malt flavor is, how well it blends with the raspberry, and how well it handles the alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Very hot. Moderate carbonation. Bit sugary.

Overall: I like it. Impressive balance for so much alcohol and such a ridiculously prominent fruit addition. Fruit itself doesn't taste like fresh fruit, but it doesn't taste like artificial syrup either.

Would be interested in aging the beer, as the malt depth is nice and the fruit and heat could stand to calm down.

3.82/5  rDev +3.5%

750 ml brown champagne style magnum with just a cap. No freshness date, but a beer this strong will age quite well.

A- The lace crackles as it slowly loses retention, good clarity ... the sediment was left behind during this pouring.

S- Smells of a raspberry cordial, sweet with a huge fruity raspberry nose.

T&M- Clean malt palate, touch of neutral yet mildly nutty yeast. Loads of berry flavors but predominantly raspberry juice. Moderate body with a slick crispness on the palate. Clean but lightly solvent alcohol warms with each sip. Clean and semi-dry finish with a fading fruitiness.

D- Wow, quite an amazing ride for a fruit beer. A little bit more alcohol and I'd be drinking gourmet schnapps. Share this beer between a few friends with a slab of raspberry filled baked Brie cheese.

3.82/5  rDev +3.5%

I have read much about this fruit bomb, of sorts, and have waited patiently to acquire one. I finally happened to obtain one, and tonight, I drink. I must say, this poured a much different colour than I had anticipated. A cloudy orange with no sediment ( I expected a little) and a thick, almost glue-like snow white fluffy head that subsided to a thin white haze in about 90 seconds. Thick, sticky lacing clings tightly to the sides of the glass. The smell is F~R~U~I~T!!! ....and little else. Surprisingly, at 18%, there is nearly no alcohol present in the smell. It is also important for me to tell all who read this that I am also consuming / reviewing this at about 41F (approximately 6C), quite cold indeed. I'm sure as this warms, the smell of alcohol with surley become more evident. The easiest way for me to describe this, would be to dump a framboise lambic and about 2 shots of Stolichnaya vodka into a glass. The musty "dank basement smell" is there, just like in a lambic or a saison. The raspberry is about all your taste buds get for about half a second; very pleasant. As the liquid washes over the back of your tongue and you actually swallow it, there is no mistake about it, this stuff is HOT!! 18%? You bet!! Every bit of it!! It isn't unmanagable, especially if you're expecting it, but it is certainly intense. The mouthfeel is heavy. Very heavy. Actually...it's syrupy. "It's a big beer", just doesn't quite capture it for this one... Because of the abv and unparalleled weight / syrup like body (for the style) I gave drinkability a 2.5. This one 750mL is plenty, and it'll be quite a daunting task for me to finish this by myself tonight...I'm sure I'll sleep like a log. If you do happen to get the chance to try this one out, go for it. I promise it's unlike anything you've likely every had.
Blessed Be
-SS

From a 750 mL bottle.

Tried 18 Jul 2008, bottled 10 Jul 2007.

Small head that quickly dissipates. First pour was clear and rosy in color, after about half the bottle was gone sediment turned it hazy and slightly brown. Aroma of raspberry and alcohol. Starts with raspberry and brown sugar, alcohol is upfront and quite warming, bourbony. Sweetness fades through the middle, becoming more resiny at the finish. Medium body, sticky mouthfeel.

Somewhat less raspberry/fruity than the NG Rasbperry Tart. Not bad but for both overall taste and price ($20 v $9) would take the NG over this.

A - Pours a clean, deep orange color

S - Bright raspberry and alcohol

T - The alcohol is hidden quite well, with raspberry and malt predominant. Can seem a bit sweet and cloying.

M - Carbonated and warming as it goes down. A little thick and syrupy.

D - For sharing a bottle with a friend, I definitely recommend it. But the alcohol in it will creep up on you given how high alcohol it is.

3.8/5  rDev +3%

2008 bottle from Chevy Chase Wine & Liquors in DC. This beer seems to be about as polarizing as it gets. Love it or hate it. Personally I thought it was good, although "love" is probably too strong of a word, reserved for things like Dark Lord, the movie "Dumb and Dumber," the Steelers, my girlfriend, authentic tacos al pastor, and Westvleteren 12.

A - Pours a hazy orangish golden color with some reddish hues and a minimal white head.

S - Sugar, raspberries, wild funk, and alcohol.

T - Sweet malt, fresh raspberries, mildly tart funk, and alcohol. Much more sweet than it is tart.

M - Medium-bodied and boozy on the palate.

D - If you think of this as a liqueur, it's actually pretty damn good and drinkable. As a beer, well, it's very unique, and I admire that.

3.8/5  rDev +3%

Drank on 09/09/09 at my wedding dinner... yes I took notes at my wedding dinner.

Bottled on 07/09/07 putting this at two years, two months old.

Poured a slightly burnt orange with a thin wisp of a head that dissipated pretty quickly. Some visible sediment, likely from the age, that did not really effect taste or mouthfeel.

Smell is strong alcohol along with a slight hint of raspberry and a bready malt. The fruit flavor is still strong with a nice balance breadyness in the background, however the alcohol is a bit overpowering still. It is a big beer but the taste was almost off-putting.

Body has not thinned out at all and is still a solid medium body. Easy to sip on beer that went well with my meal that night. Glad there were a few people around to share it with.

3.8/5  rDev +3%

Hmm? I have been searching for this for 4 months. When I finally found the 'holy grail' I have been searching for I paid $20 for one bottle. Hundreds of dollars/time hours later I EXPECTED to be freakin BLOWN AWAY! I was NOT! Does this mean I was disappointed? I don't know. I guess so. Maybe I was only disappointed because of all the hype this beer received as the 'strongest fruit beer in the world’. It was good but I am afraid it did not live up to all that hype.

The beer was an attractive color, but certainly more clear than I expected. It was quite coppery. A careful pour yielded a very small head. The smell was very yeasty. The taste was quite bready, a bit sour/tart, and definitely subtle raspberry. I was expecting more raspberry and less yeast. A bit of the 18% ABV shows through but remarkably little alcohol for the high ABV. So this is a pleasant drinkable beer but for the price and size of it... I was expecting quite a bit more. Bummer!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Bottled in 2008. I figured this was a good buy for 12.99

A- Color of a lighter version of bloody mary, bloody orange? Head disappears immediately, it is 18% so thats understandable.

S- Raspberries, fresh ones, sweet ones, candied raspberries, raspberry puree, everything raspberry you could think of, thats what this smells like. Yea, it smells good.

T- Raspberry, some dark chocolate notes, definitely alcohol which seems to work in tandem with the fruity raspberry theme, kinda like a raspberry liquor.

M- Light bodied, enough carbonation to make this tasty.

I picked it up for the unique factor I definitely wouldnt pick it up again, been there done that kind of attitude. I wouldnt dissuade someone from picking it up at the price point that I did which I think is pretty reasonable. If you see if for anything higher pass on it. And make sure it has some age on it I cant imagine how boozy this must be fresh.

3.8/5  rDev +3%

Served from a 750ml. bottle into a snifter just under cellar temp. Bottled date is 11/13/2006

A - Poured a finger and a half light pinkish / off white head. The head settled down to a drinkable level very quick with some lasting lacing. Color is a clear reddish orange with a few specks of sediment.

S - Aromas of what else? Raspberries!! Light alcohol present but nowhere near what I expected out of 18%

T – Again what else raspberries!! Some bitterness present in the finish. Very sweet.

M – Texture is light and bubbly. What I would consider a clean finish, almost crisp.

D - I’m a big DFH fan. This isn’t one of my favorites though. I just had to give it a chance, too sweet for my pallet. Luck I split it with a couple of friend because I couldn’t have finished the bottle myself. Even though it wasn’t my favorite DFH I’d still recommend giving it a taste.

3.8/5  rDev +3%

Bottled in '09, pours hazy golden brown, slight reddish tinge about it. No head here, whatsoever, though I did a slightly aggressive pour. Yield equals nothing. Overall, looks like a good brew, not what one would expect a fruit beer to look like.

Smell is huge fusel alcohol. Not much else, maybe a hint of raspberry scent, but mostly that big alcohol scent.

Taste is a bit of raspberry, a lot of alcohol, and a nice malt backbone follows up in the aftertaste.

Feel is super warm. Probably can be classified as hot. Warming like a shot of hard liquor. Good carbonation, nice and tingly, alive on the palate.

Average in the drinkability arena. Very heavy on the booze can lead to trouble. I'm polishing off this 750mL alone, and I hate to see what tomorrow brings.

3.8/5  rDev +3%

A: orange/mild cloudy, finger white head,
nice lacing

S: big raspberry nose, boozy, vanilla, jam

T: huge raspberry, hint of cherry, mild malt,
vanilla, boozy/sticky/sour finish

M: med body, big sticky/pucker mouth

O: Interesting. Glad I tried it, don't
know if I would get again. BIG SiPPER!
Share with friends. Reminds me of
strawberry wine when I lived in the South.

GOOD, NOT MUST HAVE!

3.8/5  rDev +3%

18%?!? I had no idea. Good thing we split the bottle, I guess. A-and, really, this explains quite a bit about the rest of that awful night.

Pours a very pretty shade of amber that's a little limp. My handwritten score is a 3.5, but considering the elevated ABV the lack of effervescence is perfectly fine and this deserves a 4.

Smells like raspberry liqueur: big, sweet, candied raspberries along with some varied nodes of spice and honey. No alcohol nodes apparent whatsoever.

Tastes like it smells, only the honey sweetness gets a cloying near the back end. Overall it's pretty smooth, though, considering its giganticness.

Definitely worth trying, and you certainly get 15 bucks worth of drunk off of a 750ml bottle.

3.79/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle year 2009.

Pours a clear amber color with some red/orange highlights. Tiny particles stuck in suspension keeping this from being totally clear in appearance. Includes a nice cap of white foam with good retension supported by continual bubbles of carbination. Decent amount of lace clings all around the glass, spotty at times when swirled but a solid curtain of white lace after taking slow sips. Aroma is similar to a fruity raspberry juice but with a very noticable alcohol presence blended with malt. Taste is tart and fruity with a tiny bit of sweetness but regardless of a colder than ideal serving temperature, the alcohol is quite dominating. The alcohol really takes center stage in this beer with all the other characteristics just playing a minor role in the background. It is a very, very warming beer and has quite the astringent alcohol taste. Body of this beer feels quite light but that might be a false impression because of the high alcohol that seemingly partially evaporates if you don't swallow fast enough. This beer leaves a lingering taste of the raspberry in your mouth coupled with a bit of hop bitterness.

I would also like to note that the alcohol in this beer shares a strikingly similar smell and taste to what is found in the DFH 120 IPA. I know it sounds weird but I really picked up on this right away. I don't think it is just the fact that both beers share an 18 or higher percent volume of alcohol, there is just something very similar in the alcohol taste and smell with each.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Huge bottle pours a chill hazed but radiant copper body with a small almond head that quickly falls to a pink fringed skim and collar. Aroma is subtle, odd considering the bottle is stamped with a bottling date just over a month ago. Raspberry jam notes are joined by model airplane glue to the nose. Odd, but really pleasant. Medium body with spritzy carbonation. Taste is sticky with big doughy maltiness, sweet/tart berries, and the pleasant taste of the model airplane glue you loved as a kid. Solvent-like is an understatement, but it works here for some reason. Finishes dry with a kiss of grapefruit that comes out of nowhere. Surprisingly drinkable for such an enormous fruit beer. Another oddball brew from DFH.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Bottled on 11/28/05. Had this fresh and wasn't thrilled. After the better part of 3 years it's time for a revisit.

Copper bodied with some salmon-pink glints. A fizzy white head sizzles up and down over the course of 10 seconds. Still, for a beer this big, the carbonation is impressive, as when I had it fresh two+ years ago, there was no head at all.
Raspberry is the main player on the nose, all sweet, seedy, and tart, backed with a big wet, doughy blanket of caramel pastries, and a bit of Eau de Vie -like alcohol bite.
It begins sweet, as any good 18% fruit beer should. Raspberry jam, honey (or Mead), heavy canning syrup. This is all propped against a somewhat less sweet caramel and dough support (though, that is sweet by all accounts as well). As it progresses, it drifts towards things more tart and the raspberry jam starts to mimic sparkling grape juice with it's slightly cloying and sticky sweet-tart interplay (and real-deal grapey flavors). Fruit brandy and port traits appear on the swallow with a fair amount of alcohol sting and dryness.
It's big gloopy, full bodied, but the carbonation fights through it all and manages to keep this from the cloying, teeth-sticking mess it could be (and I thought it was when I last had it a couple years ago).
Ultimately, this succeeds at exactly what it is. A gigantic raspberry beer. At this strength, it's gonna be a little heavyhanded. But this is semi-drinkable and enjoyable despite it all. Age treats this well, and I don't think I'd drink it fresh again. It is far from something I'd reach for often, but I might squirrel away a bottle or two long term for certain occasions.

Also, bottling this in 750mLs is lunacy. 12oz could be satisfyingly shared and seems a much preferable size.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Well in my neverending quest to empty out my closet and et to these hard to reach beers the beers that I have stored away for sometimes it may seem to be years, I have come across my latest discovery, Dogfish head's Fort. What can be said about a monstrously huge bottle of brew that simply says ale brewed with rasberry with no ABV or warning on it in regards to what may lie inside? Needless to say I was more then willing to dive in and see what this beer could be made of. I have to admit though, I was a bit intimidated, as word of mouth had told me this was a damn bigbeer that was gonna be hard to put down, we shall see....

Well upon the pour we have an extremely hazy amber. Slightly darker then your normal ale. Lots of visible carbonation was evident from the start, chains of bubbles rippling up from the bottom of the glass. Lots of haze, literally made this opaque. Tons of suspended particles as well, some of them quite large. This may have been due to the aged bottle, as it had a 11/05 brewed date on it. Nice one inch thick white head receeded rather quicky leaving behind a thin film on top of the glass and a nice amount of lace drooping down the sides. Biggest story here. by far had to be all the haziness and the suspended particles which it seemed clouded the view completly and gave it a very thick appearence.

The smell was strong, and very fruity. Large hint of rasberry was readily apparent from the start. I would have thought that the alcohol smell would have been stronger then what it was, however it was not that apparent. Don't get me wrong, this smelled alot like a strong wine, however it just did not smell overwhelminglt strong from the start. A very sugary aroma aroma was present as was a slight hint of grain in the back, overall very fruity smell.

The taste was well, bitter. This knocked my head back at the first sip. Insanely strong and fruity. Perhaps the strongest fruiteness I have ever tasted in a beer before. Incredible fresh rasberries in the flavor were evident right from the start. The one thing that shocked me however, was that I would have thought the alcohol presence would have been alot stronger then it was. It was noticeable but not 18% noticeable if you know what I mean, A slight hoppiness was present in the finsh, quite dry actually. Very smooth feel, great carbonation, led to that nice silky, bubbly light feeling. Overall the flavors were very very intense, and the fruit and hop flavors far overpowered the alcohol. This made the profile really jump out at you, and made what could have been overpoweringly hot with alcohol,. not only tolerable, but actually rather emjoyable as the session wore on.

Overall this was one of the more unique beers I have tried. Way way fruity and full of complex flavors, and over the top with the alcohol, to the point I probably should not have gone at this one alone. Somehow, someway they brewed this to be very drinkable. You gotta try this at least once for the novelty sake of it, though at 20 bucks its a bit of a far cry from pure novelty. Still this was really much better then I had expected and I would really recommend trying this.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Opened this to celebrate my birthday with 3 very special friends. Yeah, it was 2 am and we were already in high spirits. But even we could recognize that this "beer" is the holy grail of raspberry beverages. My notes have the following writ large:

Fort. What is? Raspberry. Sweet. Booze.

And that really sums it up. But for those wanting more, here ya go.

Fort is: Orange-red. Not quite clear. I think I saw little bits of raspberry seed in the beer. Wouldn't put it past 'em.

Fort is: A massive blow to the nose of fresh raspberry syrup and tons of alcohol. Take 3 pounds of raspberries, puree 'em, add a pound of sugar, a handle of vodka, reduce in a pan and you'd have something that *might* smell like what Dogfish has done with their Fort. Then again it could be horrible.

Fort is: A sugary sweet fruit bomb. Tart, but alcoholic in the extreme. Tough to drink much of. Approach it as a fruit liqueur like Chambord and you'll do alright.

Fort is: An absurdly over the top fruit beer experience. I don't use the word experience lightly. You simply must try this beer on a special occasion. A cool early morning on a porch overlooking the mountains in North Carolina worked for us, but you have to find your own inspiration.

*** October 2009 edit***

Had a 3 year vertical in the same mountains again recently. 06, 07, 08. The consensus is that Fort DOES mellow out nicely with age - the 06 and 07 were quite similar, but the eldest had less booze heat (still quite a bit) and was much more approachable. Would score the 2006 vintage a solid 4.0 as of October 09. I'd recommend aging it for at least a year unless you like your fruit beers excessively boozy. I'm not sure what it says about us that we drank 3 Forts in one weekend... I hope good things!

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery