Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

I have read much about this fruit bomb, of sorts, and have waited patiently to acquire one. I finally happened to obtain one, and tonight, I drink. I must say, this poured a much different colour than I had anticipated. A cloudy orange with no sediment ( I expected a little) and a thick, almost glue-like snow white fluffy head that subsided to a thin white haze in about 90 seconds. Thick, sticky lacing clings tightly to the sides of the glass. The smell is F~R~U~I~T!!! ....and little else. Surprisingly, at 18%, there is nearly no alcohol present in the smell. It is also important for me to tell all who read this that I am also consuming / reviewing this at about 41F (approximately 6C), quite cold indeed. I'm sure as this warms, the smell of alcohol with surley become more evident. The easiest way for me to describe this, would be to dump a framboise lambic and about 2 shots of Stolichnaya vodka into a glass. The musty "dank basement smell" is there, just like in a lambic or a saison. The raspberry is about all your taste buds get for about half a second; very pleasant. As the liquid washes over the back of your tongue and you actually swallow it, there is no mistake about it, this stuff is HOT!! 18%? You bet!! Every bit of it!! It isn't unmanagable, especially if you're expecting it, but it is certainly intense. The mouthfeel is heavy. Very heavy. Actually...it's syrupy. "It's a big beer", just doesn't quite capture it for this one... Because of the abv and unparalleled weight / syrup like body (for the style) I gave drinkability a 2.5. This one 750mL is plenty, and it'll be quite a daunting task for me to finish this by myself tonight...I'm sure I'll sleep like a log. If you do happen to get the chance to try this one out, go for it. I promise it's unlike anything you've likely every had.
Blessed Be
-SS

SilentSabre, Mar 23, 2006
3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

I've been looking forward to Fort since it first came out. I was anticipating trying it at the EBF, but unfortunately it was all gone by the 2nd session. I picked this bottle up at Marty's yesterday.

Appearance - Red-orange color, white frothy head, leaves a thin white sticky layer.

Smell - BOOZY, very slight raspberry flavor, little malty, little hoppy

Taste - The 18% ABV hits you in the face. Warm, fusel alcohol forces me to take small sips. The raspberry flavor comes thru softly. Even so, this is a strong ale first and a fruit beer second.

Mouthfeel - Lots of warmth from the alcohol, slightly sticky, but not overly so.

Drinkability - The alcohol really limits the grade in this category. I am going to drink 3/4 of the entire 22 oz bottle, but only because I can do so over 3 hours and I can be drunk for the night. It's really not overly thick, sweet, or sticky. It's the alcohol that makes it slow to drink.

Overall I like this beer, but the price and high alcohol level make it for special occasions only.

ILiveOffHops, Feb 20, 2006
3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

On tap at the Dive Bar in Worcester on Thanksgiving Eve. Served in a small 6 oz snifter. Bright orange color. Nice white head for such a tiny beer. Smell was a bit boozy. Taste was a lot more boozy than I expected. I can see now why the serving size is limited. Huge wallop of raspberry flavor comes through. Nice bite of hops on the back of the tongue on the finish. Lingering alcohol burn on the palate. A quality beer, but I feel that it's one of those extreme fruit beer that nice to try, but I don't feel the need to ever order one again.

morebeergood, Nov 30, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Drank on 09/09/09 at my wedding dinner... yes I took notes at my wedding dinner.

Bottled on 07/09/07 putting this at two years, two months old.

Poured a slightly burnt orange with a thin wisp of a head that dissipated pretty quickly. Some visible sediment, likely from the age, that did not really effect taste or mouthfeel.

Smell is strong alcohol along with a slight hint of raspberry and a bready malt. The fruit flavor is still strong with a nice balance breadyness in the background, however the alcohol is a bit overpowering still. It is a big beer but the taste was almost off-putting.

Body has not thinned out at all and is still a solid medium body. Easy to sip on beer that went well with my meal that night. Glad there were a few people around to share it with.

mullenite, Sep 21, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Hmm? I have been searching for this for 4 months. When I finally found the 'holy grail' I have been searching for I paid $20 for one bottle. Hundreds of dollars/time hours later I EXPECTED to be freakin BLOWN AWAY! I was NOT! Does this mean I was disappointed? I don't know. I guess so. Maybe I was only disappointed because of all the hype this beer received as the 'strongest fruit beer in the world’. It was good but I am afraid it did not live up to all that hype.

The beer was an attractive color, but certainly more clear than I expected. It was quite coppery. A careful pour yielded a very small head. The smell was very yeasty. The taste was quite bready, a bit sour/tart, and definitely subtle raspberry. I was expecting more raspberry and less yeast. A bit of the 18% ABV shows through but remarkably little alcohol for the high ABV. So this is a pleasant drinkable beer but for the price and size of it... I was expecting quite a bit more. Bummer!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Mar 19, 2006

Bottled 11/13/06

Appearance - pours out a hazed red-tinted amber. A brief light tan head that forms and disappears like I'm pouring a soda. A slow bead of bubbles from underneath sustains the thinnest of collars.

Aroma - a fusel hit right after opening this baby. Huge barleywine-like malts, a decent dose of fruit but nothing major. Smells absolutely potent, that's for sure.

Taste - caramel, sticky sweet malts at the fore. Sweet raspberry, very sweet. Holy smokes, a serious alcohol breath on this, even after three+ years aging. Some biting fruit tartness on the swallow provides the only attempt at bitterness. The abv heat, fruit snap, and malt bigness make a flavor almost like ginger ale at times. So very warm down to the belly, this will be an all-night sipper.

Mouthfeel - low-level carbonation, a slick feel without too big a body. Nicely done.

Drinkability - never again solo, but certainly with help.

brewdlyhooked13, Jan 21, 2010

Bottled in 2008. I figured this was a good buy for 12.99

A- Color of a lighter version of bloody mary, bloody orange? Head disappears immediately, it is 18% so thats understandable.

S- Raspberries, fresh ones, sweet ones, candied raspberries, raspberry puree, everything raspberry you could think of, thats what this smells like. Yea, it smells good.

T- Raspberry, some dark chocolate notes, definitely alcohol which seems to work in tandem with the fruity raspberry theme, kinda like a raspberry liquor.

M- Light bodied, enough carbonation to make this tasty.

I picked it up for the unique factor I definitely wouldnt pick it up again, been there done that kind of attitude. I wouldnt dissuade someone from picking it up at the price point that I did which I think is pretty reasonable. If you see if for anything higher pass on it. And make sure it has some age on it I cant imagine how boozy this must be fresh.

foogerd, Mar 17, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Aged a year, and sampled with friends. Pours a pale golden color, head does not last long. Smells overwhelmingly of raspberries. I mean slams you over the head with raspberries. Tastes of boozy, bittersweet raspberry puree, and sweetened syrup. I get no hops and little malt or yeast. Even still, it does not taste bad. The drawback is its syrupy mouthfeel and combine that with the sweetness and 18% ABV makes this a connoisseurs beer.

gskitt, Jan 02, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Tried a while ago but recently had an aged version. The appearance is a yellow with a ruby tint with a lot of haze. The smell is full of raspberries to the point of being more of a lambic than anything else. The taste was similar although had some interesting notes with a cleaner finish than I would have guessed. The mouthfeel was a bit thick for me but overall I thought this was a well made beer for something so odd.

WhiteHillsStore, Aug 16, 2014
3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks to kbutler1 for sharing this one.

Bottled on 7/9/07

Poured into kbs chalice

Pours 1/4 finger of khaki colored head. Color is a burnt orange hued brown.

Aroma: Smells boozy with a ton of raspberry. I can actually smell every raspberry that they used in making this beer. Some caramel malt shows. Big flavor here.

Taste: Woah, this beer is huge. Tons of raspberry. Sweet and sugary. A massive amount of booze shows. Some yeast and malts are present. Maybe a layer of toffee.

Mouthfeel: Sweet and syrupy. Just a tad hot as well. Full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with a hot burn to it. So much booze showing.

Overall, this beer is a massive sipper. As I drank more of it, it got easier to drink. Whether or not this was a result of the alcohol is another question. The raspberries are delicious, but just so much alcohol comes through.

mothman, Jun 23, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter. Beer was a strawberry red color, with a small, one-finger head. Light carbonation and no lacing around the glass.

Aroma was apple, raspberries, cereal grains and bread.

Taste was sweet raspberries, caramel, bread, wood and faint hops.

I'd like to try this beer with a little age on it. The alcohol is a slap in the face. Very boozy and almost overwhelming at first. Still, nice fruit flavor and syrupy mouthfeel.

drumrboy22, Jan 21, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Reddish amber and shockingly transparent. Leaves a bit of sediment. Ok lacing. On first glance, this looks weak.

S: Rasberries and alcohol. More of both as the beer warms.

T: This is the rasberry spritzer or cordial of the beer world. This is well advertised on the bottle, so I will count that as a good thing. There is a good malt backbone to this beer. A little earthy flavor is brought in by the yeast.

M: This is a liquer with bubbles. Sweet and syrupy without inducing the gag reflex.

D: This is a dessert beer that should be enjoyed with friends to close an evening. My review may seem negative (and may rate that way) but I would recommend this as a dessert beer. The alcohol feel is a bit high for me though, and that tends to skew the experience of a beer for me.

DeathbySexyBT, Aug 18, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

A: orange/mild cloudy, finger white head,
nice lacing

S: big raspberry nose, boozy, vanilla, jam

T: huge raspberry, hint of cherry, mild malt,
vanilla, boozy/sticky/sour finish

M: med body, big sticky/pucker mouth

O: Interesting. Glad I tried it, don't
know if I would get again. BIG SiPPER!
Share with friends. Reminds me of
strawberry wine when I lived in the South.

GOOD, NOT MUST HAVE!

BeerLover99, Jan 16, 2012
3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours leaving only little head that leaves a small ring in the glass. Color is a mostly clear, rose-copper. Carbonation looks adequate throughout. The smell is faint, like semi-sweet raspberry and strong alcohol. Taste is a nice raspberry flavor that is quite subtle, not too sweet or too tart. Its a bit medicinal, and the alcohol feels strong, but not bad for 18%. Hop flavor is low, or at least dominated by other flavors. It's light bodied, with nice carbonation overall. A nice brew to share with friends, but being so strong I wouldn't recommend drinking alot of it by yourself. After a while it does get harder to drink so just have a small glass and enjoy this unique, strong brew...

bennetj17, Feb 17, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

18%?!? I had no idea. Good thing we split the bottle, I guess. A-and, really, this explains quite a bit about the rest of that awful night.

Pours a very pretty shade of amber that's a little limp. My handwritten score is a 3.5, but considering the elevated ABV the lack of effervescence is perfectly fine and this deserves a 4.

Smells like raspberry liqueur: big, sweet, candied raspberries along with some varied nodes of spice and honey. No alcohol nodes apparent whatsoever.

Tastes like it smells, only the honey sweetness gets a cloying near the back end. Overall it's pretty smooth, though, considering its giganticness.

Definitely worth trying, and you certainly get 15 bucks worth of drunk off of a 750ml bottle.

mynie, Dec 21, 2011

jtladner, Nov 09, 2013

stereosforgeeks, Dec 17, 2012

Nickfellow007, Aug 14, 2012

cliff1066, Dec 24, 2012

GeoCait, Aug 31, 2012

Bjcomm96, Feb 18, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours out like a red ice tea with lots of white suds to decorate the top of this inviting looking drink.
You know those vodka jigglers where you take jello and mix it with some sort of alcohol?
Well this smells like a cherry/raspberry/lime jiggler that I had at a local blues concert. Very strong aroma's of cherry and raspberry.
The alcohol is very prevalent here too.
Taste is a very sweet cherry malt flavor with just a hint of hop bitterness . The strong vodka/cherry juice takes over most of the flavors though. I would think girls would really like this.
Mouthfeel is suprisingly clean here with only the cherry flavor remaining along with the alcohol burn.
Drinkability ... hmm, you wouldn't want to drink more than one of these at a sitting or you wouldn't be able to stand up!

peabody, Dec 22, 2006