Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

ABV varies from 15-18%.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
3.79/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle year 2009.

Pours a clear amber color with some red/orange highlights. Tiny particles stuck in suspension keeping this from being totally clear in appearance. Includes a nice cap of white foam with good retension supported by continual bubbles of carbination. Decent amount of lace clings all around the glass, spotty at times when swirled but a solid curtain of white lace after taking slow sips. Aroma is similar to a fruity raspberry juice but with a very noticable alcohol presence blended with malt. Taste is tart and fruity with a tiny bit of sweetness but regardless of a colder than ideal serving temperature, the alcohol is quite dominating. The alcohol really takes center stage in this beer with all the other characteristics just playing a minor role in the background. It is a very, very warming beer and has quite the astringent alcohol taste. Body of this beer feels quite light but that might be a false impression because of the high alcohol that seemingly partially evaporates if you don't swallow fast enough. This beer leaves a lingering taste of the raspberry in your mouth coupled with a bit of hop bitterness.

I would also like to note that the alcohol in this beer shares a strikingly similar smell and taste to what is found in the DFH 120 IPA. I know it sounds weird but I really picked up on this right away. I don't think it is just the fact that both beers share an 18 or higher percent volume of alcohol, there is just something very similar in the alcohol taste and smell with each.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Huge bottle pours a chill hazed but radiant copper body with a small almond head that quickly falls to a pink fringed skim and collar. Aroma is subtle, odd considering the bottle is stamped with a bottling date just over a month ago. Raspberry jam notes are joined by model airplane glue to the nose. Odd, but really pleasant. Medium body with spritzy carbonation. Taste is sticky with big doughy maltiness, sweet/tart berries, and the pleasant taste of the model airplane glue you loved as a kid. Solvent-like is an understatement, but it works here for some reason. Finishes dry with a kiss of grapefruit that comes out of nowhere. Surprisingly drinkable for such an enormous fruit beer. Another oddball brew from DFH.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Bottled on 11/28/05. Had this fresh and wasn't thrilled. After the better part of 3 years it's time for a revisit.

Copper bodied with some salmon-pink glints. A fizzy white head sizzles up and down over the course of 10 seconds. Still, for a beer this big, the carbonation is impressive, as when I had it fresh two+ years ago, there was no head at all.
Raspberry is the main player on the nose, all sweet, seedy, and tart, backed with a big wet, doughy blanket of caramel pastries, and a bit of Eau de Vie -like alcohol bite.
It begins sweet, as any good 18% fruit beer should. Raspberry jam, honey (or Mead), heavy canning syrup. This is all propped against a somewhat less sweet caramel and dough support (though, that is sweet by all accounts as well). As it progresses, it drifts towards things more tart and the raspberry jam starts to mimic sparkling grape juice with it's slightly cloying and sticky sweet-tart interplay (and real-deal grapey flavors). Fruit brandy and port traits appear on the swallow with a fair amount of alcohol sting and dryness.
It's big gloopy, full bodied, but the carbonation fights through it all and manages to keep this from the cloying, teeth-sticking mess it could be (and I thought it was when I last had it a couple years ago).
Ultimately, this succeeds at exactly what it is. A gigantic raspberry beer. At this strength, it's gonna be a little heavyhanded. But this is semi-drinkable and enjoyable despite it all. Age treats this well, and I don't think I'd drink it fresh again. It is far from something I'd reach for often, but I might squirrel away a bottle or two long term for certain occasions.

Also, bottling this in 750mLs is lunacy. 12oz could be satisfyingly shared and seems a much preferable size.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Well in my neverending quest to empty out my closet and et to these hard to reach beers the beers that I have stored away for sometimes it may seem to be years, I have come across my latest discovery, Dogfish head's Fort. What can be said about a monstrously huge bottle of brew that simply says ale brewed with rasberry with no ABV or warning on it in regards to what may lie inside? Needless to say I was more then willing to dive in and see what this beer could be made of. I have to admit though, I was a bit intimidated, as word of mouth had told me this was a damn bigbeer that was gonna be hard to put down, we shall see....

Well upon the pour we have an extremely hazy amber. Slightly darker then your normal ale. Lots of visible carbonation was evident from the start, chains of bubbles rippling up from the bottom of the glass. Lots of haze, literally made this opaque. Tons of suspended particles as well, some of them quite large. This may have been due to the aged bottle, as it had a 11/05 brewed date on it. Nice one inch thick white head receeded rather quicky leaving behind a thin film on top of the glass and a nice amount of lace drooping down the sides. Biggest story here. by far had to be all the haziness and the suspended particles which it seemed clouded the view completly and gave it a very thick appearence.

The smell was strong, and very fruity. Large hint of rasberry was readily apparent from the start. I would have thought that the alcohol smell would have been stronger then what it was, however it was not that apparent. Don't get me wrong, this smelled alot like a strong wine, however it just did not smell overwhelminglt strong from the start. A very sugary aroma aroma was present as was a slight hint of grain in the back, overall very fruity smell.

The taste was well, bitter. This knocked my head back at the first sip. Insanely strong and fruity. Perhaps the strongest fruiteness I have ever tasted in a beer before. Incredible fresh rasberries in the flavor were evident right from the start. The one thing that shocked me however, was that I would have thought the alcohol presence would have been alot stronger then it was. It was noticeable but not 18% noticeable if you know what I mean, A slight hoppiness was present in the finsh, quite dry actually. Very smooth feel, great carbonation, led to that nice silky, bubbly light feeling. Overall the flavors were very very intense, and the fruit and hop flavors far overpowered the alcohol. This made the profile really jump out at you, and made what could have been overpoweringly hot with alcohol,. not only tolerable, but actually rather emjoyable as the session wore on.

Overall this was one of the more unique beers I have tried. Way way fruity and full of complex flavors, and over the top with the alcohol, to the point I probably should not have gone at this one alone. Somehow, someway they brewed this to be very drinkable. You gotta try this at least once for the novelty sake of it, though at 20 bucks its a bit of a far cry from pure novelty. Still this was really much better then I had expected and I would really recommend trying this.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Opened this to celebrate my birthday with 3 very special friends. Yeah, it was 2 am and we were already in high spirits. But even we could recognize that this "beer" is the holy grail of raspberry beverages. My notes have the following writ large:

Fort. What is? Raspberry. Sweet. Booze.

And that really sums it up. But for those wanting more, here ya go.

Fort is: Orange-red. Not quite clear. I think I saw little bits of raspberry seed in the beer. Wouldn't put it past 'em.

Fort is: A massive blow to the nose of fresh raspberry syrup and tons of alcohol. Take 3 pounds of raspberries, puree 'em, add a pound of sugar, a handle of vodka, reduce in a pan and you'd have something that *might* smell like what Dogfish has done with their Fort. Then again it could be horrible.

Fort is: A sugary sweet fruit bomb. Tart, but alcoholic in the extreme. Tough to drink much of. Approach it as a fruit liqueur like Chambord and you'll do alright.

Fort is: An absurdly over the top fruit beer experience. I don't use the word experience lightly. You simply must try this beer on a special occasion. A cool early morning on a porch overlooking the mountains in North Carolina worked for us, but you have to find your own inspiration.

*** October 2009 edit***

Had a 3 year vertical in the same mountains again recently. 06, 07, 08. The consensus is that Fort DOES mellow out nicely with age - the 06 and 07 were quite similar, but the eldest had less booze heat (still quite a bit) and was much more approachable. Would score the 2006 vintage a solid 4.0 as of October 09. I'd recommend aging it for at least a year unless you like your fruit beers excessively boozy. I'm not sure what it says about us that we drank 3 Forts in one weekend... I hope good things!

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Tried a while ago but recently had an aged version. The appearance is a yellow with a ruby tint with a lot of haze. The smell is full of raspberries to the point of being more of a lambic than anything else. The taste was similar although had some interesting notes with a cleaner finish than I would have guessed. The mouthfeel was a bit thick for me but overall I thought this was a well made beer for something so odd.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Bottle poured into a large snifter. This was bottled way back in July 2007. I didn't realize it was quite this strong when I opened it... hopefully I'll be able to finish.

Smell is an intensely sweet mix of raspberries and honey. Taste is extremely sweet as well, but very intense as you would expect with something this strong. The raspberries are prevalent and definitely the dominant flavor here. The best comparison would be a very sweet and bubbly raspberry dessert wine. An unpleasant comparison is a fruity cough syrup. Overall, I think this is good and interesting but would've been easier to enjoy if it hadn't been quite this strong.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

I've been looking forward to Fort since it first came out. I was anticipating trying it at the EBF, but unfortunately it was all gone by the 2nd session. I picked this bottle up at Marty's yesterday.

Appearance - Red-orange color, white frothy head, leaves a thin white sticky layer.

Smell - BOOZY, very slight raspberry flavor, little malty, little hoppy

Taste - The 18% ABV hits you in the face. Warm, fusel alcohol forces me to take small sips. The raspberry flavor comes thru softly. Even so, this is a strong ale first and a fruit beer second.

Mouthfeel - Lots of warmth from the alcohol, slightly sticky, but not overly so.

Drinkability - The alcohol really limits the grade in this category. I am going to drink 3/4 of the entire 22 oz bottle, but only because I can do so over 3 hours and I can be drunk for the night. It's really not overly thick, sweet, or sticky. It's the alcohol that makes it slow to drink.

Overall I like this beer, but the price and high alcohol level make it for special occasions only.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

On tap at the Dive Bar in Worcester on Thanksgiving Eve. Served in a small 6 oz snifter. Bright orange color. Nice white head for such a tiny beer. Smell was a bit boozy. Taste was a lot more boozy than I expected. I can see now why the serving size is limited. Huge wallop of raspberry flavor comes through. Nice bite of hops on the back of the tongue on the finish. Lingering alcohol burn on the palate. A quality beer, but I feel that it's one of those extreme fruit beer that nice to try, but I don't feel the need to ever order one again.

3.77/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: To be honest, I was really expecting this to be a deep shade of red. In fact, it's a hazy, deep reddish-pumpkin body with a decent off-white head that recedes rapidly and leaves only minimal lacing (with this level of alcohol, retention and lacing is virtually out of the question).

Aroma: Sweet, berry-like, boozy, and at times almost vinegary. Complex and unique - what on earth is this going to taste like?

Taste: Wow! Intense as hell! There is no question whatsoever that the alcohol content here is almost off the charts, it's in the forefront from the beginning to the end and almost spicy in its intensity. Once the booze-shock subsides, you find a lot of complexity underneath. There's lots of fruit, including berries, banana and pineapple. As for malt, the backbone is relatively light and basically stays the hell out of the way. The aftertaste is very boozy with some hints of berry.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slick, and nicely velvety. There's enough carbonation here to make it more drinkable than a liqueur. Lots of boozy burn for the tongue, the cheeks, and the throat. Dry as hell.

Drinkability: This one is going to take some time... I'd much prefer a regular 12 oz. bottle over this monster.

Verdict: This is a thoroughly unique beer - and because of this, it's hard to rate. Style is pretty much out the window here, so there's nothing much as far as guidelines go. Looks like we're in uncharted territory here folks... This big bastard of a beer tends to blur the lines between an ultra-strong beer and a weaker liqueur. It's mad as hell, but I like it. The only thing I can offer as far as a comparison goes is an Imperial Imperial Framboise. I can't wait to see how this ages.

3.77/5  rDev +2.2%

Aged a year, and sampled with friends. Pours a pale golden color, head does not last long. Smells overwhelmingly of raspberries. I mean slams you over the head with raspberries. Tastes of boozy, bittersweet raspberry puree, and sweetened syrup. I get no hops and little malt or yeast. Even still, it does not taste bad. The drawback is its syrupy mouthfeel and combine that with the sweetness and 18% ABV makes this a connoisseurs beer.

3.77/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to kbutler1 for sharing this one.

Bottled on 7/9/07

Poured into kbs chalice

Pours 1/4 finger of khaki colored head. Color is a burnt orange hued brown.

Aroma: Smells boozy with a ton of raspberry. I can actually smell every raspberry that they used in making this beer. Some caramel malt shows. Big flavor here.

Taste: Woah, this beer is huge. Tons of raspberry. Sweet and sugary. A massive amount of booze shows. Some yeast and malts are present. Maybe a layer of toffee.

Mouthfeel: Sweet and syrupy. Just a tad hot as well. Full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with a hot burn to it. So much booze showing.

Overall, this beer is a massive sipper. As I drank more of it, it got easier to drink. Whether or not this was a result of the alcohol is another question. The raspberries are delicious, but just so much alcohol comes through.

3.77/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a crystal mug the beer was a slightly hazy medium orange gold. A off white creamy head builds about one and a half finger high and dissipates relatively fast with leaving good lacing.
The smell is raspberry all the way, with some malt in the back.
Tasting the beer those flavors will arrive in the same order. The hops will mellow the sweetness of the raspberries slightly, but not enough. But it is a fruit beer, and therefore that is ok in my book. The alcohol is there, but well hidden for the high ABV of 18 percent.
I really liked this beer as for what it was designed for!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had an eight ounce glass on draft. I didn't know what this was when it was ordered, so I was a little surprised. Surprisingly it has a fair amount of carbonation, a few little bubbles. I kinda expected it to be almost still. Definitely a wine like/still cider like character to it. I guess the fact that there is actually fermented fruit in it is not surprising. It was a nice beer, fairly interesting, but at this price I wouldn't buy it again.

3.77/5  rDev +2.2%

Well, had this one at my girlfriend's house as a nightcap before I hit the road. NOT a good idea. Turns out this cheeky bastard is 18% ABV. Who knew? It's not printed on the bottle, and the intense raspberry flavoring covers it up enough to give me the benefit of the doubt. Shortly after I finished it I realized I wasn't going anywhere, and had to sit on my hands for a couple hours afterwards. Gee thanks, DFH.

As far as the beer itself goes, it's not my favorite style. The raspberry is a little bit on-the-nose/cloying. But the beer doesn't pose to be anything else. It embraces the fruit, pumps up the ABV, and offers a really unique taste. I think it's also impressive that this beer is more drinkable than both the 14% Sammichlaus and the 18% Mikkeller Black. Instead of pure sugar, though, Fort achieves this drinkability with fruit. Tons and tons of fruit. A daring beer that I would love to try again, be it on tap, cask, or just next year.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours out like a red ice tea with lots of white suds to decorate the top of this inviting looking drink.
You know those vodka jigglers where you take jello and mix it with some sort of alcohol?
Well this smells like a cherry/raspberry/lime jiggler that I had at a local blues concert. Very strong aroma's of cherry and raspberry.
The alcohol is very prevalent here too.
Taste is a very sweet cherry malt flavor with just a hint of hop bitterness . The strong vodka/cherry juice takes over most of the flavors though. I would think girls would really like this.
Mouthfeel is suprisingly clean here with only the cherry flavor remaining along with the alcohol burn.
Drinkability ... hmm, you wouldn't want to drink more than one of these at a sitting or you wouldn't be able to stand up!

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery