2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

FortFort

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
Ratings: 926 | Reviews: 487 | Show All Ratings:
ryane

Washington

1.63/5  rDev -55.6%

It had a bit of a funky smell, definately some honey in there, very warming finish, taste is something in between a fruit beer and a mead, very little to no raspberry flavor, carbonation is a bit high and bites especially in the finish

Not something I would recomend to anyone to pick up, I am continually amazed by the low quality of offerings by DFH, seems everyone is always in love with their beers, its not always wise to take things to the absolute extreme, balance is the hallmark of a quality beer

03-05-2009 02:35:59 | More by ryane
atowle25

Washington

1.63/5  rDev -55.6%

2009 bottle - pours a cloudy orangeish color, a little bit of head, which disappears quickly. Smells really astringent, just like rubbing alcohol. Not a pleasant smell at all. Can smell a little bit of raspberries but they are completely overhwelmed by the alcohol. Taste is just like the smell...the raspberries are not even very pleasant. It tastes like a mix of raspberry soda and moonshine. Just awful. I took a few mouthfulls and then drainpoured the rest. Just a mess of a beer, I highly doubt that more aging would improve this beer much.

06-05-2011 19:56:44 | More by atowle25
antoines15

Indiana

1.58/5  rDev -56.9%

A - seems harmless enough, nothing special

S - smells fruity and boozy

T - here is where this "beer" just loses me. The alcohol is not hidden well at all as you taste every bit of the 18% and no much of the raspberry flavor. Not sure why you would make something like this to begin with.

M - carbonated and burns the tongue and throat as it goes down. Very harsh

D - if you couldn't tell, I find this to be almost undrinkable and I shared the bottle with five other people. I didn't even want to finish my 6 oz sample. Bleh. I saw someone compared it to mad dog 20/20 and i couldn't agree more. would not recommend it.

04-03-2010 21:44:03 | More by antoines15
lbkornlb14

1.35/5  rDev -63.2%

This beer is horrendous. I love dogfish head beers and am making a trip to the brewery in the coming weeks, me and my friend buy up any varieties we come across in distributors because we love DFH so much. That being said, this beer to me was undrinkable, expecting a fruit bomb, it was more like a straight alcohol taste, with a slight hint of raspberries, it was the definiton of "too much", although i know alot of time and effort was put into this beer, I will never buy it again, put it this way, it was so bad I dumped it down the drain after about 5 minutes. big miss.

08-04-2008 02:23:01 | More by lbkornlb14
corby112

1.35/5  rDev -63.2%

Pours a dark cloudy amber/orange color with some golden ruby hues when held to a light source and a thin white foam head that quickly disappears leaving no lacing behind.

Sour funky aroma with a subtle hint of raspberry which is surprising, until you take a sip. Massive alcohol presence which makes this beer smell more like Mad Dog 20/20 than a beer.

Once again the alcohol dominates the flavor taking away from any semblance of other flavors including the faint hints of raspberry and sugar. Firey alcohol burn lasts throughout warming up the chest in the finish.

I thought that this beer was flat out disgusting and undrinkable. It is the only beer I have ever drain poured. I guess if you want to get wasted there could be some value in it but I would just stick with Mad Dog. Gross!

08-28-2009 22:26:25 | More by corby112
jdklks

Nevada

1.35/5  rDev -63.2%

shared this one with my buddy Jmoore50.

Dogfish Head continues to disappoint me as one of, if not the, most overrated breweries out there. If there is any question as to which is better, consistent quality or uniqueness, Dogfish Head provides us emphatically with the answer of consistent quality (because their attempt at uniqueness is laughable at best). Seriously, this beer has NO business being 18%, and why? Being familiar with many DFH brews, my guess would be for novelty.

The appearance is the ONLY place where this beer shines. super filtered and super clear. dark-golden, almost amber color with a little off white head that fades quickly. the smell is of raspberries soaked in gasoline.

Everything here is straight-forward. there is no complexity, let alone nuance to be taken from this. as the smell suggests, it tastes like raspberries soaking in gasoline, and its as hot on the palate and in the esophagus as any hard liquor. I dont think it was barrel aged, but there is (oddly) a sense of oakiness in the aftertaste (or maybe it is flavor of my taste-buds disintegrating). Absolutely disgusting.

Moutfeel is much much too hot. carbonation is off. drinkability- it would have been a drainpour had i not been sharing it and thus only had to drink half. It got to be tolerable near the end, but watch out and hold your breath for the first couple of tastes.

once again, an example of what happens when a brewery is "experimental" to the point of being WAY over the top. blah.

12-18-2009 18:42:36 | More by jdklks
ArrogantB

Colorado

1.3/5  rDev -64.6%

750ml bottle 2008 vintage. I knew this would be a tough beer but I was still completely unprepared for this shit. Sort of a light orange with a pinkish hue. Aroma is acetone and nail polish remover, disgusting. Flavor is very sweet, hint of raspberries and overwhelming alcohol. It was what I imagine industrial cleaning supplies to taste like. I think this was the worst beer I have ever tasted in my life .

10-07-2012 17:06:06 | More by ArrogantB