Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros

duceswild, Jan 03, 2012

WOLFGANG, Jul 07, 2013

dwaz, Dec 08, 2011

GrindFatherBob, Nov 22, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -19%

750ml bottle, '10 vintage. Split this one between about 4 people, thank god. Poured into DFH signature glass.

A: Initially this one poured like a cloudy pink grapefruit juice, but then evened out into a deep orange amber color. There was about a half finger of loose bubbled white head initially, but that disappeared rather quickly into a ring of white around the edges of the glass.

S: I video reviewed this one, and I said "nail polish remover" and I am sticking to it. The nose on this was straight booze. I don't know where some of these reviews have it any other way. I agree with one about it being 120min with raspberries, because that is right on point. There is some sweetness from the berries in there to sort of cut the booze a touch.

T: They used Warrior hops in the brewing process, but you get no hop presence at all. Nothing really on the tip of the tongue. In the middle of the mouth, you get lots of sweet malt and a hint of berries. I was really thinking that maybe there would be some fruity sweetness, but that was not the case. The close is long and it definitely warms the throat with alcohol. This is a booze bomb.

M: It's medium leading to full. No where near as thick and viscous as a stout, but the booze makes it feel bigger than what it is.

O: This is certainly not for the faint of heart. I will not be buying this beer again. Far too boozy to be enjoyable. Where are the raspberry flavors and tartness that I was expecting? Less fermentation and booze-attention grabbing, and more flavor monitoring down at DFH.

inlimbo77, Feb 03, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

A 750ml bottle, with bottled on 11/13/06 stamped on the bottle. Poured into a tulip glass, it's a beautiful beer: red/orange color, a thin head. Obvious raspberry aroma. The difficulty arose with the taste. Raspberry definitely there, but also a pronounced alcohol taste. Very harsh. The label says "should age with the best of 'em". I'll buy a couple more bottles and try that, because this isn't a drinkable beer in it's present state.

lordofthewiens, Feb 11, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

Reviewed from notes, a dead computer had forced me to put pen to paper, how nostalgic.

Split with Gf, she purchased this on a whim as she has developed a taste for dfh aprihop and festina peche. Poured from a capped 750ml bottle into an oversized wine goblet. Bottled 7/10/07. Firm pour yields 2 finger off white head. Brief head retention and minimal lace. Color is very cloudy, murky orange with a little sediment as my half was poured last.

Nose-As to be expected loads of fermented rasberry, alcohol, and a sticky syrupy sweet undertone.

Taste- Remincient of a lambic only much, much bigger and sweeter with less carbonation. Very thick, viscous, and syrupy. Lightly tart Rasberry. Hot, somewhat cloying caramel and tart rasberry sour. Long finish, really stays with you.

Mouthfeel is cloying and thick.

Drinkability- Not so much. Too thick and cloying, long sour finish is too much for me.

Kraken, Aug 16, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle, dated 11/13/06 - the head dissipates quickly, leaving only an off-white ring around the top of a dark orange beer. It looks almost like an iced tea, perhaps a bit darker.

Smell is raspberry and apple. A little menacing; not terribly sweet. These are definitely green apples. Granny Smith is angry at you for some reason.

Taste is dominated by alcohol. There's a tartness that creeps in at the end, but I honestly don't get much but booze. This would be good with something that cuts that a little, like a soft and creamy cheese. The apple is a bit more prominent to me than the raspberry, with a fairly strong sour flavor.

It's fairly thin, and seems quite carbonated. Almost feels prickly.

I wanted to like this a lot more than I actually did. It's enormously strong, and I couldn't finish more than a glass or so. Would have been much better with an appropriate companion plate of some kind. I'll try this again sometime, but not soon.

Dendrite77, May 27, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -20.4%

This was a little too extreme fruit beer, and I heard a lot of hype from my friend about it which disappointed me a little. Pours a sunset red/orange color. Smells of raspberries soaked in grain alcohol. Tastes pretty much the same but not an imitation raspberry taste, instead a genuine ripe taste. Alcohol burned my throat the whole way down, a little unpleasent.

Portertime, Apr 22, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -20.4%

1 pint 9.6 fl. oz. in a pint glass.

A - Cloudy orange color, very hazy.

S - Very strong raspberry smell. Overpowers everything else.

T - Very strong raspberry flavor and very sweet. Very strong alcohol flavor. The bottle was dated 2009 so it is 2 years old and probably around 17% ABV.

M - Very full bodied but also very sweet.

D - I couldn't drink it. It was way too sweet for me. My wife loved it but i couldn't drink it.

jeffmonarch, Jun 27, 2011

Reviewed 2/8/2008 (bottle):

Pours an amber brown colored body. Golden around the fringes. Creamy off-white head. Decent lacing, somewhat lasting. Very strong raspberry aroma, sugar, fizzy, some malts. Strong flavor, strong alcohol, whiskey? Some raspberries. Very hot. More mild as it warms up.

jujubeast6000, Mar 06, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -20.4%

750ml bottle served in a snifter.
bottled in 2009.

pours a clear, burnished deep orange tone yielding 3/4" off-white head that quickly dissipates into a thin cap, collar around the glass. not unsurprising given the 18% ABV.

very pungent nose smacks of tart raspberries and alcohol. the strength of the rasberry is good, but on the whole it's fairly one-dimesional.

flavor is... ok, not going to sugarcoat it: IMO what we have here is a syrupy, boozy, cloying raspberry mess that wreaks havoc on the palate. salvaged from the drain by the intense rasberry presence but not my favorite offering from dogfish head. boozy finish.

decent, full bodied mouthfeel with medium-low carbonation.

i had high hopes for this number but in the end it's only slightly more enjoyable than a wine cooler on steroids.

perrymarcus, May 01, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: It poured a very cloudy amber with a pink hue. Beautiful looking glass of beer. There was pretty much no head at all and the little it had dissipated fast.

S: Lots going on in my nose. Tons of fruity aromas. Seemed to have a tart smell, kind of weird feeling in my nostrils.

T: WOW. So boozy, and definitely all raspberries. Very sweet, a little too much for me. And by little... I mean a lot.

MF: The strong flavor tingles in your mouth. Almost feels like a raspberry fizzy candy. I don't think it drinks well at all, solely based on how much booze the flavor has.

O: I'd say it was worth trying and was great with a good meal but I'm a little disappointed in how much I had to spend to try it. Definitely not getting it again unless I hold a beer tasting with my friends.

HoppyHachey, Apr 17, 2011