Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

ABV varies from 15-18%.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 974 | Reviews: 497
2.78/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

On the bottle it said bottled in 2008. Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Southern Tier tulip glass. It poured amber orange in color with a slight reddish tint to it. It has a very modest head, barely covering the top of the beer and concentrated around the edges.

The aroma shows a lot of boozy alcohol to it. The raspberries are definitely present as well but come through more as if they were soaked in alcohol. There is just too much solvent like alcohol flavors coming through to be that appealing.

The taste shows a lot of the fruity raspberry flavors. They really come through pretty nicely and taste fresh which is a plus. Lots of alcohol present as well and very warming as I drank it. More of an alcohol soaked raspberry flavor to it then anything else really.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side and somewhat syrupy with moderate carbonation. Drinkability isn't that great unfortunately, it's a lot like drinking a raspberry liquor. Just too hot and boozy to be that drinkable. The raspberry flavors were pretty good and fresh but they weren't bold enough to get past the alcohol. This wasn't that bad of a drink, I just don't think it scores well as a beer. I probably would think it was a very good raspberry liquor.

2.76/5  rDev -25.2%

A - Very colorful beer, beautiful aray of colors, amber, some shades of pink, and some delicate red tones,I am sure from the rasberries. Very eye catching in appearance.

S - Solid aroma of fresh off the vine rasberries, with a touch of a freshly popped botte of chanpagne. This smell reminds me of a New Years celebration.

T - An explosive hit of fresh pureed rasberrries, there are a few citrus tasting notes in there but mostly fermented rasberries. Slight taste of some wood/oak notes with the champagne flavor left to linger on your tounge.

M - Ok I am going to make my champagne reference again. Yes this beer was very bubbly and dry, like a fine french champange. (I am now done with champagne references)

D - Not my personal favorite but I have to try everything. There was a little to much rasberry flavor/sweetness. I know that this is a fruit beer but in my opinion I did not care for the the sweetness that Fort had to it, like I said not my favorite but it is ok. Good beer to have after dinner in combination with some dark chocolate.

2.73/5  rDev -26%

Poured a fizzy, orangy pink appearence, bubbles but no head - though it did leave somelacing. First impression is the 18% - yup, you can certainly tell its there - each and every one of the 18%, for sure. This is like a harsh and potent raspberry syrop that really burns. Raspberries seem authentic but not sweet, and the beer is honestly too pinsing and drowned out with alcohol to make it any way fruity. Aroma did evolve sniff to sniff though. Can't find any hops. Liquere like, actually very reminscent of a cognac and became continuously so as it warmed. Syropy and an alltogether different fruit beer. Perhaps slightly enjoyable (in a small dosage) but overall, flavours are scraped out by this burning cognac taste and mouthfeel is void of any finish or aftertaste. Where does this stand? Nothing in any way completes this beer. Couldn't tell you how this one would age, but I wouldn't be willing to try it. A neat one for sure, though I wouldn't revisit I was very happy to try - big thanks to northyorkSammy!

This beer seemed to hit the head more than it hit the tastebuds. A beer of this strength is hard done by to have any grace, and it doesn't.
Like other DogFish Head products, they've crafted this creative, over-the-top beer that I appreciate more for it's quality and creativity, than I do enjoy it for it's taste.

2.71/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured into a Duvel tulip for probably the only sampling I'll ever have...

A: Bright amber, medium-light carbonation rising to the top, slight head as a ring around the top with thick lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Alcohol is the strongest scent, with a hint of raspberries

T: Tingling carbonation, slight acidity, raspberry comes through at the end, alcohol is increasingly warming

M: Mouth coating, slightly toward syrupy

D: Not very good - too highly alcoholic, without any real "beer" taste

2.7/5  rDev -26.8%

When I first poured this... What the hell? The color seems quite thin and transparent. There were a lot of head and carbonation fizzing up. It reminded me a bit of Duvel, but with a bit more carbonation.

Smell - I definitely can smell the raspberries coming out of this bottle, and it was alright.

Taste - I personally thought the taste was peculiar for something that I usually love: raspberries. The raspberry flavor is there, which I like, but I felt that something else was screwing it up.

Mouthfeel - It's too thin and over-carbonated for my taste. It's too bubbly in my mouth. It felt a bit like a cheap sparkling juice a recovering alcoholic might drink at a New Year's Eve party.

Drinkability - I guess a lot of people would like this, but it's not very drinkable for me because mainly of the carbonation. I tried hard to try liking it, but couldn't. It's, by far, my least favorite Dogfish Head beer.

2.7/5  rDev -26.8%

2006 edition poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Copper colored with some red highlights. Good 1 to 1 1/2 finger head that lasts. Some lacing, but not a lot.

Smell - First impression is raspberry, then mingling with alcohol and yeast. It doesn't smell overly sweet.

Taste - Hints of raspberries, with less sweetness than I expected. And then I got hit with an alcohol bomb. The alcohol is way too pronounced in this one. I thought letting it sit around for 18 months would mellow it a bit. Obviously not. No balance at all. I like my beer to at least remind me of beer.

Mouthfeel - The high carbonation is great, but the alcohol is again just too much.

Drinkability - Between the price and the difficulty drinking, I really don't think too highly of this beer. I have had moonshine that is easier to drink.

This is not one of my favorite DFH beers. No balance or subtlety here. Try one of their other extreme beers instead.

2.69/5  rDev -27.1%

This brew was poured from a 750 ml bottle. Poured a reddish hue with about 2 inches of thick head. Strong scents of paint thinner or solvent. Thick alcohol flavor along with nail polish remover. Very little if any raspberry flavor. No fruit flavors to speak of. Mouthfeel is heavy. Drinkable nature is very limited.

2.65/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours out a rose colour with minal head and some lacing. Nose- raspberry jam and honey. Taste- yeesh- hot boozy sweet raspberries. Fuck, that's not good for business. Its just too damn sweet. Its the same sweetness I've not enjoyed in some other DFH offerings. The raspberries are nice enough, but the its just too hot and sickly sweet. Not enjoyable whatsoever. Why did I crack this one by myself? Better yet, why didn't I buy two bottles of raspberry tart that were in eye sight of this abomination??? Not a happy drinking experience. I think if this had been toned down a tad it would have turned out better. good for DFH to experiment, just don't bottle it and charge me almost $20 for it!

2.64/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a pinkish red color with very little, and quickly dissipating, head. Smells of raspberries and very strong alcohol. Taste starts smooth and fruity, raspberries abundant, but quickly turns to a pungent alcohol taste that slightly tingles the taste buds. Mouthfeel is not abnormal or strange, just the flavors. I would no refuse one if offered, but would not purchase one of my own. If you're interested in it, try it, no harm in that!

2.63/5  rDev -28.7%

pours a clear orange with a small white head, and okay lacing.

smell is of malt, grass, lighter fluid, some berries, and earth.

taste is sweet, tart, of raspberry, and malt, ends dry and tart.

overall i would expect more from dogfish head, the smell of lighter fluid was bad and i feel affected the taste as well.

2.62/5  rDev -29%

Was very excited to try this brew.

A:Cloudy appearance, golden with a touch of red. Almost like an amber unfiltered wheat.

S:Smell was not what I had hoped. Very strong smell unfortanatly more familier with cheap wine than a high gravity beer. Obvious fruity tones with a malty underlying scent. The alcohol content was very apparent.

T: Again matched the smell. Unique but reminded me of a cheap white wine much more than I had hoped. Very intense alcohol taste but finished well, malty and sweet.Barely wine type sweetness and sourness, a little more hops would help.

M: Low carbonation, bitter, dry, but finished well.

D: Not for the casual beer drinker. Far to strong of alcohol flavor for casual fruit beer drinkers and too unique for more conservitive beer lovers. For a seasoned High gravity man, went down fairly smooth.

Overall: I was glad I tried this. I am a huge Dogfish head fan but this one I wouldn't have again. Too pricey and just not as good as I had hoped. I will say however that given the task at hand ( ton of raspberries) they did about as good of job as possible.

2.61/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

July 09, 2007 bottle shared by Chico1985 as one of the last beers of the Ultimate Tasting of Doom 2011: Line-Up = Fullers 1845, Nemesis 2010, Lindemans Faro, Stone RIS 2008, Samuel Smiths Strawberry Ale, BCBCS, Fantome BBB, Saison Dupont, Cisco Winter Woods, DFH Squal, HF Anna, Delerium Tremens, La Choulette Framboise, Drie Fonteinen Schaarbeekse Kriek, Bruery RugBrod and Panil Bariquee Sour.

A- Pours out amber with a small off-white head. Not much retention but a good foamy ring. Spotty lace around the glass.

S- All of the tasters get honey mustard notes. I also get some raspberry, oxidation, honey and old caramel. Medicinal.

T- Oxidation on top of huge alcoholic raspberries. Of course there is also honey mustard, caramel, medicinal syrup and lots of other random fruit hints. Vinegar.

MF- Creamy feel with intensely hot hotness. Finishes just a bit bitter and syrupy.

"Ages with the best of them," I really can't agree with that. It tastes decent at almost 4 years old but the plethora of ridiculous flavors is puzzling.

2.6/5  rDev -29.5%

Bottle: Poured a clear light copper color ale with a very small head with little retention. Aroma of sweet raspberry is pleasant enough but the burning alcohol kind of ruin it for me. Taste is quite sweet with some raspberry presence thought not as much as I would have expected (since the label mentioned ‘’over a ton of raspberry’’ I was thinking New Glarus Raspberry style). Alcohol is way too hot for my liking and body is a bit thin. Overall, this is a way too expensive fruity malt liquor.

2.6/5  rDev -29.5%

Presentation: 750 ml bottle, just above room temp.

Appearance: nice deep red color, minor head, as expected for this type of "beer".

Smell: Great raspberry aroma, with some sourness reminiscent of a geuze.

Taste: Way too sweet for my palate. Not a big fan of the high malt:bitter ratio. Hard to drink more than 1/2 a glass.

Notes: I love DFH, I'm a big fan of the 60, 90, 120, Aprihop, Lawnmower, etc... so I wanted to like this one. But after about 5 sips it becomes undrinkable. If you are prone to try it ... split it with some friends!

2.57/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

5-6 oz. of a bomber poured on January 5th, 2012 into a Bruery tulip.

A - Really like the coloring on this one. Has the looks of a white zinfandel, only with a darker, more golden hue. Super clear and a bit polarizing. Expectedly poor retention. Okay lacing.

S - Overt raspberries, cranberries, and alcohol. I dislike using the word "medicinal" to describe any brew, but this one sort of fits the bill. Some yeast spice and slight malt grains underneath, not nearly enough to round out the dominate fruit aroma.

T - Definitely more of a liquer than anything. Raspberries are absolutely dominant. Alcohol, light pepper, and clover underneath.

M - Medium body, very low carbonation, and puree-like smoothness (I guess DFH described this one pretty accurately). Sweet, medium-length finish with enough alcohol warming in the back to rival any stout or barleywine I've experienced.

D - The intensity of the fruit, combined with the pure alcohol-warming finish makes this a true sipper. I don't know where age can take this one as far as the fruit character is concerned. very difficult for me to handle more than 3-4 oz. of this one, ended up DP'ing the rest of my glass and sealed the bottle for tomorrow, though I doubt I'll make much more of a dent.

2.56/5  rDev -30.6%

The had at isn't exactly correct. More of a "bought at". A 750 ml capped brown champagne bottle dated 11/13/06 C. I purchased this bottle at the Rehoboth brewpub in the spring of 2007 if I recall correctly. It had been chilled or refrigerated since that moment. Drank it in a Chimay goblet. The laser etching in the bottom made a neat constant stream of bubbles. Appearance: crystal clear reddish orange. Smell: alcohol and cherries. Taste: Two words, Cherry Nyquil. Very strong hot alcohol. Off the charts chemical cherry flavor. Mouth feel: lighter than I expected. Almost a medium dry wine. Drinkability: During the first few sips I would say very low. But after half a glass it got easier.

2.54/5  rDev -31.2%

Very hazy. Thin light tan head dissipates very quickly. Thin lacing is left behind.

Smells of Raspberry Tea.

Very strange. Yes I taste the raspberries, but ith has a strange ketchup like flavor to it. This is so sour, it makes my tounge curl a bit.

This is a strange brew to me. I can't give it too a negative review based on my inexperience. Give it a try.

I still love you DFH brewery.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery