Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
2.68/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured a fizzy, orangy pink appearence, bubbles but no head - though it did leave somelacing. First impression is the 18% - yup, you can certainly tell its there - each and every one of the 18%, for sure. This is like a harsh and potent raspberry syrop that really burns. Raspberries seem authentic but not sweet, and the beer is honestly too pinsing and drowned out with alcohol to make it any way fruity. Aroma did evolve sniff to sniff though. Can't find any hops. Liquere like, actually very reminscent of a cognac and became continuously so as it warmed. Syropy and an alltogether different fruit beer. Perhaps slightly enjoyable (in a small dosage) but overall, flavours are scraped out by this burning cognac taste and mouthfeel is void of any finish or aftertaste. Where does this stand? Nothing in any way completes this beer. Couldn't tell you how this one would age, but I wouldn't be willing to try it. A neat one for sure, though I wouldn't revisit I was very happy to try - big thanks to northyorkSammy!

This beer seemed to hit the head more than it hit the tastebuds. A beer of this strength is hard done by to have any grace, and it doesn't.
Like other DogFish Head products, they've crafted this creative, over-the-top beer that I appreciate more for it's quality and creativity, than I do enjoy it for it's taste.

biegaman, May 25, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -28%

Was very excited to try this brew.

A:Cloudy appearance, golden with a touch of red. Almost like an amber unfiltered wheat.

S:Smell was not what I had hoped. Very strong smell unfortanatly more familier with cheap wine than a high gravity beer. Obvious fruity tones with a malty underlying scent. The alcohol content was very apparent.

T: Again matched the smell. Unique but reminded me of a cheap white wine much more than I had hoped. Very intense alcohol taste but finished well, malty and sweet.Barely wine type sweetness and sourness, a little more hops would help.

M: Low carbonation, bitter, dry, but finished well.

D: Not for the casual beer drinker. Far to strong of alcohol flavor for casual fruit beer drinkers and too unique for more conservitive beer lovers. For a seasoned High gravity man, went down fairly smooth.

Overall: I was glad I tried this. I am a huge Dogfish head fan but this one I wouldn't have again. Too pricey and just not as good as I had hoped. I will say however that given the task at hand ( ton of raspberries) they did about as good of job as possible.

Thefinerthings, Jan 26, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a pinkish red color with very little, and quickly dissipating, head. Smells of raspberries and very strong alcohol. Taste starts smooth and fruity, raspberries abundant, but quickly turns to a pungent alcohol taste that slightly tingles the taste buds. Mouthfeel is not abnormal or strange, just the flavors. I would no refuse one if offered, but would not purchase one of my own. If you're interested in it, try it, no harm in that!

darkside7268, Jan 08, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

July 09, 2007 bottle shared by Chico1985 as one of the last beers of the Ultimate Tasting of Doom 2011: Line-Up = Fullers 1845, Nemesis 2010, Lindemans Faro, Stone RIS 2008, Samuel Smiths Strawberry Ale, BCBCS, Fantome BBB, Saison Dupont, Cisco Winter Woods, DFH Squal, HF Anna, Delerium Tremens, La Choulette Framboise, Drie Fonteinen Schaarbeekse Kriek, Bruery RugBrod and Panil Bariquee Sour.

A- Pours out amber with a small off-white head. Not much retention but a good foamy ring. Spotty lace around the glass.

S- All of the tasters get honey mustard notes. I also get some raspberry, oxidation, honey and old caramel. Medicinal.

T- Oxidation on top of huge alcoholic raspberries. Of course there is also honey mustard, caramel, medicinal syrup and lots of other random fruit hints. Vinegar.

MF- Creamy feel with intensely hot hotness. Finishes just a bit bitter and syrupy.

"Ages with the best of them," I really can't agree with that. It tastes decent at almost 4 years old but the plethora of ridiculous flavors is puzzling.

cbutova, Jun 19, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

2006 edition poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Copper colored with some red highlights. Good 1 to 1 1/2 finger head that lasts. Some lacing, but not a lot.

Smell - First impression is raspberry, then mingling with alcohol and yeast. It doesn't smell overly sweet.

Taste - Hints of raspberries, with less sweetness than I expected. And then I got hit with an alcohol bomb. The alcohol is way too pronounced in this one. I thought letting it sit around for 18 months would mellow it a bit. Obviously not. No balance at all. I like my beer to at least remind me of beer.

Mouthfeel - The high carbonation is great, but the alcohol is again just too much.

Drinkability - Between the price and the difficulty drinking, I really don't think too highly of this beer. I have had moonshine that is easier to drink.

This is not one of my favorite DFH beers. No balance or subtlety here. Try one of their other extreme beers instead.

Sponan, Feb 25, 2008
2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

Bottle: Poured a clear light copper color ale with a very small head with little retention. Aroma of sweet raspberry is pleasant enough but the burning alcohol kind of ruin it for me. Taste is quite sweet with some raspberry presence thought not as much as I would have expected (since the label mentioned ‘’over a ton of raspberry’’ I was thinking New Glarus Raspberry style). Alcohol is way too hot for my liking and body is a bit thin. Overall, this is a way too expensive fruity malt liquor.

Phyl21ca, May 24, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

Pours out a rose colour with minal head and some lacing. Nose- raspberry jam and honey. Taste- yeesh- hot boozy sweet raspberries. Fuck, that's not good for business. Its just too damn sweet. Its the same sweetness I've not enjoyed in some other DFH offerings. The raspberries are nice enough, but the its just too hot and sickly sweet. Not enjoyable whatsoever. Why did I crack this one by myself? Better yet, why didn't I buy two bottles of raspberry tart that were in eye sight of this abomination??? Not a happy drinking experience. I think if this had been toned down a tad it would have turned out better. good for DFH to experiment, just don't bottle it and charge me almost $20 for it!

oakbluff, Oct 14, 2007
2.55/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

5-6 oz. of a bomber poured on January 5th, 2012 into a Bruery tulip.

A - Really like the coloring on this one. Has the looks of a white zinfandel, only with a darker, more golden hue. Super clear and a bit polarizing. Expectedly poor retention. Okay lacing.

S - Overt raspberries, cranberries, and alcohol. I dislike using the word "medicinal" to describe any brew, but this one sort of fits the bill. Some yeast spice and slight malt grains underneath, not nearly enough to round out the dominate fruit aroma.

T - Definitely more of a liquer than anything. Raspberries are absolutely dominant. Alcohol, light pepper, and clover underneath.

M - Medium body, very low carbonation, and puree-like smoothness (I guess DFH described this one pretty accurately). Sweet, medium-length finish with enough alcohol warming in the back to rival any stout or barleywine I've experienced.

D - The intensity of the fruit, combined with the pure alcohol-warming finish makes this a true sipper. I don't know where age can take this one as far as the fruit character is concerned. very difficult for me to handle more than 3-4 oz. of this one, ended up DP'ing the rest of my glass and sealed the bottle for tomorrow, though I doubt I'll make much more of a dent.

Auracom, Jan 06, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

Presentation: 750 ml bottle, just above room temp.

Appearance: nice deep red color, minor head, as expected for this type of "beer".

Smell: Great raspberry aroma, with some sourness reminiscent of a geuze.

Taste: Way too sweet for my palate. Not a big fan of the high malt:bitter ratio. Hard to drink more than 1/2 a glass.

Notes: I love DFH, I'm a big fan of the 60, 90, 120, Aprihop, Lawnmower, etc... so I wanted to like this one. But after about 5 sips it becomes undrinkable. If you are prone to try it ... split it with some friends!

sequenceman, Jul 04, 2007
2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

Bottled on 7/10/07. Tasted on 7/31/08.
Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint glass. It was a hazy orange color and had a ton of carbonation. Even with a good pour, it didn't have much of a head which isn't surprising considering the high ABV. No lacing.

The aroma was extreme raspberries and alcohol. Reminded me of raspberry wine cooler. I don't like the ones that overtly reek of alcohol so this got knocked down some. The taste was better than I thought. I expected heavy alcohol to match the aroma but it wasn't as bad. It was still pretty heavy on the ABV but blended better in taste than smell. Heavy raspberry taste as well, of course.

Overall, I just didn't like this one. I like a bunch of fruit beers so it's not that aspect. It seemed to have a good base flavor but really got ruined with the high ABV and alcohol taste. Just made it unenjoyable after a few drinks. Got this one for free so can't complain too much but I wouldn't pay for this one or recommend it.

TexIndy, Jul 31, 2008

calcnerd, Jan 30, 2013

ygtbsm94, Dec 30, 2011

CGMLS3, Mar 20, 2013

mrebeka, Feb 04, 2012

MYJELLOMISFIT, Aug 15, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

The had at isn't exactly correct. More of a "bought at". A 750 ml capped brown champagne bottle dated 11/13/06 C. I purchased this bottle at the Rehoboth brewpub in the spring of 2007 if I recall correctly. It had been chilled or refrigerated since that moment. Drank it in a Chimay goblet. The laser etching in the bottom made a neat constant stream of bubbles. Appearance: crystal clear reddish orange. Smell: alcohol and cherries. Taste: Two words, Cherry Nyquil. Very strong hot alcohol. Off the charts chemical cherry flavor. Mouth feel: lighter than I expected. Almost a medium dry wine. Drinkability: During the first few sips I would say very low. But after half a glass it got easier.

pecokid, Apr 10, 2010

Ineedabeerhere, Dec 28, 2011

JAHMUR, Dec 20, 2011

vonnegut21, May 19, 2012

EagleRare, Jan 13, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

Pours a clear, light orange color with a hint of pink. Small white head that disappears quickly. Scent is sweet cherry/raspberry with hint of cough syrup (Benadryl). Boozy and medicinal. Taste is medicinal as well. Very sweet...can't get over the medicinal flavors in this one. Sweet cherries and raspberries with booze. Mouthfeel is full bodied and hot. Drinkability is not very high. Overall, a good experience, but not something I would purchase ever again.

DovaliHops, Feb 18, 2012

xenjoiii, Jan 19, 2012
2.48/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured into snifter from the tap at Dogfish Head brewpub in Rehoboth.

A: Amber color with a pinkish hazy hue to it. Bubbly carbonation, champagne like at first and minimal amounts of lacing on the pour.

S: Raspberry and fruit sweetness and then a bit more sweetmess and raspberries. This does not smell like a beer at all, and alcohol really not evident yet..

T: Here comes more of the raspberries, and the sweetness- and the alcohol does make its presence felt. Did not enjoy this one too much, far prefer the other DFH big beers but this is more of a hard mixer, not pleasurable to me.

M: Champagne like fizz matching the taset. There is a cloying sweetness and it is matched by the alcohol remaining in the back of the palate.

D: Not very drinkable based on the sweetness overbearingness and the high levels of alchohol. Would strongly prefer DFH other high price, high alcohol offerings by far (WW, 120, and others)

This is one of those beers that leaves you wondering afterward if it really is a beer? Not such a good thing to me but interesting. I could see it being a good drink with a dessert or as a sipper. It really takes something special foodwise to cut through the sweetness of this thing.

marcpal, Dec 30, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -33.4%

Very hazy. Thin light tan head dissipates very quickly. Thin lacing is left behind.

Smells of Raspberry Tea.

Very strange. Yes I taste the raspberries, but ith has a strange ketchup like flavor to it. This is so sour, it makes my tounge curl a bit.

This is a strange brew to me. I can't give it too a negative review based on my inexperience. Give it a try.

I still love you DFH brewery.

TheSarge, Feb 23, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -33.4%

strawberry juice colored with a white head. about how a big fruit beer should look, IMO. Smells like raspberry jolly ranchers and red wine. Taste is a quick punch of raspberries and then an EXTREME alchol /baby cough syrup flavor. It really smacks you in the mouth. This experience does not diminish as you get further through the beer, either. Totally dominated by the alcohol, like a raspberry flavored mixed drink at a shitty bar. I really didn't like this offering from DH...and i do like fruit beers, even raspberry ones (like New Glarus' Rasp. Tart) but this just didn't do anything for me.

aforbes10, Jan 01, 2007