Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

ABV varies from 15-18%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
3.26/5  rDev -10.2%

This could have been an excellent and really enjoyable beer if not for the ridiculously high ABV which just dominates everything else going on in this beer. It pours a nice hazy, plenty carbonated, orangy copper with lots of off white creamy head, retention, and lacing. It pours a tad syrupy but the nose on this beer gives it all away. It is pungent alcohol, lots of it, and really drowns out the otherwise nice creamy malts, and raspberry underneath, and perhaps some spices as well. This beer is an after dinner drink, probably best poured over some chocolatey dessert or as an after dinner liqueur type drink. It is just so strong with a giant throaty burn, that I'm having a tough time getting the 6 oz. pour down. It is unfortunate because a toned down Fort would have been a wonderful and more enjoyable experience. (823 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -10.2%

2007 bottle, enjoyed in 2011.

A – Beautiful color; raspberry ice tea and black cherries. The head has a solid consistency with trace pink highlights. Ok retention, but poor lace.

S – An interesting contrast between light aromas of sweet apricot, wood, and booze, and darker notes of medium grade honey and prune.

T – Sharp booze into a crisp oak, plum and brown sugar. Medicinal middle. The darker fruits fade into a distinct raspberry and molasses backend.

M – Aggressive alcohol on a medium body. Ok carbonation. Incredibly long, sweet, oaky finish.

O – At 18% I'm definitely looking for some booze in the profile, but I wasn't a huge fan of the way it played out in this beer. The alcohol felt detached from the rest of the profile; more of a distraction than an asset. I was surprised that 4 years of aging didn’t do more to mellow out and integrate the profile. (883 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle poured into Reidel port glass.

A = Cloudy reddish, orange, frothy but no real head. Steady carbonation and coats the glass when swirled.

S = Fruity sweet highlights with an underlying tang of gingerale or some other sweet sprightly smell.

T = Frankly the taste is the biggest drawback of this drink. Although it enters the mouth sweetly as soon as it hits the back of the mounth there is an acerbic quality, then flowing back to the midtongue is a violent herbal medicine taste followed by a serious alcohol kick. It may get better with age, but I doubt it.

M - Medium body, good mouth coating, nice level of frothy, tickling carbonation.

D = Everyone should try this beer, but I think it is best drunk as a dessert beer after a big dinner and with a fruity but rich dessert, maybe a strawberry cheesecake. (824 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a ruddy cooper, with a white foam head that dissipates after a little bit (little lacing). Smells heavily of raspberry, and the same creamy alcohol smell that I get from their world wide stout. Maybe a bit of vanilla.

Taste is a lot of things at once. Raspberry, alcohol, a bit of dry bitterness, and alcohol. Mouthfeel is pleasant- not too heavy, pleasingly effervescent (with bubble contiunually working their way up from the bottom throughout its time in the glass). A bit of bitterness makes itself known as the beer warms up.

All told, I was a little bit dissapointed with this beer. It being a fruit beer, and being strong, I had hoped that this was a beer that my wife and I could share- thats what helped me to forego the $20 the bottle cost and the difficulty involved in hauling it all the way from DC to Northern California. I guess the confusion arises from the fact that this isn't a fruit beer that appeals to fruit beer drinkers, but a fruit beer that appeals to strong beer drinkers. That isn't to say that I find the beer bad- its actually fairly typical of DFH strong beers, which is to say heavy in the area of alcohol and flavor. Just whereas WWS is malt, coffee, and caramel heavy- forte is raspberry. (1,230 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -9.9%

Kept outside in a snow pack in Breckenridge Colorado until served. Served in a Chimay Tulip glass.

A - Rich cherry wood color with tints of orange. Light head retreats quickly leaves no lacing. Looked a bit cloudy however was probably from the temperature.

S - Strong Raspberry aroma right off, very sweet alcohol smell with a hint of hops.

M - Very fizzy, light on the palate and clears quickly.

T - Overwhelmingly alcohol, at first noticeable only lightly, as the beer warms alcohol more prevalent and overpowers the raspberry. Mineral hits of Iron and tart ester. Back of palate picks up the very tart almost sour taste.

D - This one seems as though it needs to be paired with a raspberry dessert or possibly a raspberry appetizer as that will help bring it out in this beer. Should be shared as in the time it takes to drink the bottle it will have warmed to the point at which the alcohol is overpowering.

Overall I would suggest this one for a light 8 ounce service among a group for a raspberry cheesecake dessert as the raspberry needs to be enhanced and the sour/tartness on the palate neutralized. (1,127 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -9.6%

Thanks to slasher007 for sharing this beer.

Pours orange/red with a white head. Very clear. The aroma is strong on the berries with some alcohol. The flavor is strong raspberry with a lot of hot alcohol. Mouthfeel is medium and very syrupy. Low carbonation. Not a bad beer, but I wish the alcohol was a little more hidden. Interesting but probably not worth the $20 a bottle it sales for here in Dallas. (404 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -9.6%

Note: this review is based on a 2008 vintage draft that was cellared by Teresa's Next Door.

Served in a red wine glass, I could tell right away that this beer meant business. Very hazy pink amber with light carbonation. Even if you didn't know that it was 18% ABV, one could get a pretty good idea of the strength just by looking at it. Smelled very boozy and sweet with a nice raspberry aroma in there as well. I also swear that I smelled twizzlers, though my wife disagreed. Taste was absolutely nuts. Super sweet and boozy. The alcohol warmed my entire mouth and as waves of malt sweetness, fermented raspberries, slight bitterness and some wine like notes washed over my taste buds. There is definitely some bitterness or sourness to the beer, but no hop taste can make it through all those raspberries. It really reminded me a lot of 120, but with fruit instead of hops. I found it to be quite well balanced, but that could very well be the result of the cellaring. Fully bodied, and smooth with a fairly tacky finish. This is a beer to savor, and I cannot imagine drinking anymore than my 6 oz pour. I can imagine that this beer would have not been nearly as good if it was still young. (1,193 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -9.6%

A – Light pink with a very fine white head. Head dissipates fairly quickly. The beer is very clear and resembles a rose wine in appearance.

S – The sweetness of the raspberries come out in the aroma very well. I feel like I detected lite hints of honey.

T – Full on raspberry, with very noticeable alcohol on the backside. Also I got sweetness from honey in there too.

M – The beer was very light and sweet. Carbonation was very good. Alcohol warmth on the back of the throat was present.

O – Overall this was a little sweet for my taste. A small tasting glass was more than enough for me. (609 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -9.4%

Purchased in February 2006 and aged for 11 months.

This beer poured out a slightly hazy light amber, with a fast, loud fizzy head. It died away to nothing rather quickly... not surprising given the ABV.

The aroma was of strong sweet raspberries, and not much else. Although the aroma was potent, I could not detect any alcohol.

The taste started out slightly bitter, followed by a quick burst of raspberry flavor, followed by medium bodied malts and fizziness. The aftertaste was sweet. Although I was going to be drinking the whole bottle, apart from about 3 ounces, by myself, I decided that I would give my all to the experience. So I took a full mouthful swallow, to see if any more nuances would come out. And they did... much more raspberry flavor along the back of the tongue on the swallow.

Mouthfeel was full, but a little cloying.

Drinkability... only average. The strength of this beer keeps it from being an easy drinking beer. (955 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -9.4%

Not nearly as good as I'd expected. Poured with a smallish, tan with orange tints, fizzy head and no lace. Color is a clear amber with red highlights. Aroma is brandy with raspberry, a bit tart, and a little malt. Flavor's about the same. Body's ok, but it seems to need a little more carboantion - sure would help cut the sweetness. Finish is like flavor, medium to long in length and very boozy. Was going to sip this while watching Poirot and Mystery! on the tube, but uh uh. Don't want any more. Would be good to cook with tho. (531 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Beer poured a reddish amber color with no head at all. Lacing was present but minimal.

Smell - Raspberries dominate with also an alcohol smell as well.

Taste - Had a very medicinal taste to it. The raspberries are huge! Maybe a bit too huge. The alcohol taste is a bit too much as well.

Mouthfeel - Thick and syrupy with little carbonation.

Overall - Not very good. I couldn't finish the beer. I guess I shouldn't say couldn't but rather didn't want to. It says ages well on the bottle. My bottle was "aged" a year. Maybe a bit longer is necessary. (565 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Cloudy orange. Decent tan head. Obviously a big heavy beer.

S - Lots of raspberries and alcohol. Some herbal notes as well. Very strongly medicinal.

T - Very sweet with big raspberries and a heavy maltiness. Herbs, soy sauce and a strong bitter finish.

M - Moderate body but the maltiness gives it an added heaviness.

D - Big flavours and excessive maltiness I think. Pronounced to be undrinkable by 3 others. Fruity, very raspberry-y and really far too "big". (468 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -8.8%

The beer pours an amber color with a 1/2" white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a very strong alcohol scent that boasts of sour raspberries and not much else. It's not as inviting as a lambic or regular fruit ale. The taste is good. It has a smooth raspberry flavor, but it goes down real slow and warm. This is a beer to be savored not rushed through. I appreciate the concept, but where is the line in the sand. Dogfish Head keep making these high alcohol numbers that are hard to enjoy because they are too damn intense. The original lineup is flavorful and highly drinkable, because the alcohol is kept in check. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a full bodied beer with less than adequate carbonation. This is a cool concept beer, but so are most of my homebrews. The problem is, I'm the only one who enjoys drinking them. (848 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -8.5%

pours a light red/amber haze with a ring of white around the edge of the top where the head would normally be. the smell is actually a bit unpleasant, like a raspberry tussen nose, almost puts me off. the taste is pretty good, like frambiose meets barleywine and I'm talking the strong points of them both. a good flavorful beginning with that smooth barleywine finish and a lingering razz after-taste. the mouth-feel is smooth peaks in the middle with some crispness and goes back to smooth on the finish. it is not easy to put this one back, slow drinker but that's to be expected for it's abv. a worthy beer, i'd recommend it. (629 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -8.5%

Bottled November 2005, Sampled December 2007
Another beer that has been sitting ominously in the back of my fridge since I bought a bottle in its first 750ml release. The beer pours with a frothy, though thin, pale, off-white colored head. The beer is absolutely, stunningly, brilliantly clear and is a pink hued, deep golden color. The aroma smells strongly of raspberry cough-syrup, with just a faint wisp of rotten raspberry pulp. The raspberry notes are fairly complex, with a full fleshy, skin-like and even woody seed character to it. Having said all that, it is pretty one-dimensionally raspberry driven.

Not nearly as sticky and sweet as I was expecting, it is even somewhat light. The beer is sweet though, but not cloying and it has a clean raspberry flavor to it that is not nearly as syrup-like as I expected. Clean notes of raspberry pulp, mix with a touch of oxidized, sherry like, malt and only a hint of warming alcohol in the finish. The beer is fairly carbonated, which helps to lighten thing up a bit as well. Raspberry notes dominate the flavor profile, with just a hint of aged and caramelized malt character noticeable.

That slightly rancid aromatic note seems to pick up a bit with time, though it never really becomes entirely off-putting. This beer is not nearly as bad as I was expecting (I was expecting something more cloying and syrup-like), but it is not all that great either. Worth trying, but I just can't seem to get into these super high gravity beers. I wonder if an unfiltered version of these beers would be more complex tasting, cause that is really my main complaint. These come off tasting so clean as to be down-right simplistic in character. (1,686 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -8.3%

Some bottles need warning labels...this is one of them. I bought this because I've been really enjoying all the crazy shit that DFH produces. They push the envelope: some good, some not so good. This offering was previously unknown to me, and I was completely unaware of the ABV. Cracked the bottle and liked the look and smell. Yeah, it's boozy smelling but I had no idea what was going to jump out and bite me in the ass. It mellows as it warms, but the bite and burn are still very prominent. The raspberries and sweetness are there, but you have to make a conscious effort to think about them. Otherwise, the only thing there is ALCOHOL. I'm about 10 sips in, and the drunken fog begins. (691 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -8%

I let this one sit for about an hour after taking it out of the fridge. It poured a cloudy orange color with a fair sized head that disappeared within about 60 seconds. No doubt about the raspberries in the aroma! Didn't smell much other than that, and it was pleasant. Taste was a surprise. The first thing I tasted was the alcohol and the warming was HOT! It had an interesting flavor, more bitter than sweet - like raspberries soaked in hop juice with a little hint of malt in the background. I didn't mind the taste, but I'm due to the heaviness and the alcohol this one's a little low on drinkability for me. Still, not a bad beer for a fruit beer, since the fruit wasn't too overwhelming. I'm pretty sure drinking this whole huge bottle will leave me with quite a buzz, making this one worth the $16 price tag! (816 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked up a bottle of this for Valentine's Day.
Pours a really nice pinkish color. Definitely not as dark as a lambic (or even the Wisconsin fruit brews), but certainly more red-tinted than most.
Smell is really nice. Reminds me a little of raspberry jam crossed with champagne. A definite highlight, one of the best smelling fruit beers I've ever encountered.
Taste was a little bit of letdown. Tasted sort of like a pale blonde ale with hell of kick, and a little raspberry sweetness in the finish. While really good on paper, neither aspect was really all that great. Compared to DFH's other massively potent brews, I really expected a little more sweetness to bring out the raspberry more. The problem with it being subdued is that I don't think the base ale has enough flavor to compliment it.
Mouthfeel was solid, just the right amount of carbonation present to give it a bubbly feel, but not overdone.
Drinkability's pretty limited, though. I'm not sure I could handle much more than 1/2 bottle. At $18 a bottle, I don't think I'd get it again.
Like some of DFH's other adventurous brews, it's unique, but nothing great. Worth a try, though! (1,155 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -7.7%

Don't know what brought me to open this up at 11AM on a Saturday morning, but here I am, pouring a serving into my snifter. 2006 vintage.

A - Thin head, goes away pretty quickly, but I can coax it back with some swirls. Clear, glowingly orange-red body. Looks rather dangerous, you can just tell that this is a hammer.

S - Jesus. Redolent of strawberry preserves and ethanol, the latter contributing some strong acetone and a rather spicy smell. Pretty intense stuff going on here, not at all subtle. Some spirits don't smell this nuclear.

T - On my first sip, I didn't taste the alcohol all that much. Now I do...oh yes, now I do. Plenty of nice real raspberry flavor, as you would expect, and not really *as* sweet as I would have thought. Hops not entirely absent, there's a little earthy bitterness. Some spicy, wheat-y notes that I'd associate with a witbier, oddly enough. Alcohol ever-present. Not quite hidden enough for my complete liking....reminds me of a Belzebuth or Scaldis with added raspberry. Still, more balanced and put-together than I thought it might be.

F - For a beer of this size, it has some pop.

D - Even as strong beers go, this is not the most drinkable. The other DFH extreme beers (WWS, 120, Raison D'Extra, Olde School) are much more drinkable. There's a lot going on, and I do like it...but I just don't need all that much of it at a time. I'm feeling it after only a few sips....I might as well have cognac in my snifter. I can see drinking this in place of cognac; honestly, it can go anywhere a nice brandy/cognac can go. It really needs to be shared, by several people.

I have another bottle, but I will let it age even more. Won't be opening it up soon. In fact, I may wait a decade. That's how much I think the ethanol needs to mellow out, and even then it may not be enough. (1,825 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Date: 20 May 2011
Glass: La Chouffe tulip snfiter 25cl
Type: 750ml capped, vintage 2009

Poured gently, 2-finger head reduces to light film, rather runny lacing, color is clear amber-orange.

Aroma is hot, like super boozy candy. Candy for adults. Like gummy worms soaked in grain alcohol. I'm not sure if raspberry is very identifiable on the nose, but rather leathery fig and strawberry.

Taste is extremely hot. Boozy fruit candy lacking enough sweetness. This young beer needs some dust. Don't get me wrong -- this is still an enjoyable beer. It is a fruity Dogfish Head 120.

I have been looking forward to drinking this beer, and look forward to drinking some of my vintage '07s several years from now. (708 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -6.9%

i had this on tap as well, then opted to fill a growler to bring back up north to share...

this is a monster. there are smells and tastes of alcohol throughout. i read here some treated it as a brandy, which is accurate (as served on tap is in a tulip). in growler, it appears amber in color, but pours a slightly cloudy light reddish color with small head and little to no lacing (though this could be fault of the growler). smell is of strong alcohol, but with nice touches of berries and other sweets. taste is also of strong alcohol, but also has taste similar to the smell following. the body was medium, the tastes linger, and succesive drinks draw a minor acidity.

i completely applaud the creativity in the brewing--this is a recipe i could see be refined into a much more smooth (and slightly smaller) fruit beer, and even this batch will probably even mellow a little bit with age. however, as is, it's a bit much... (932 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -6.9%

Happy new year. Had paired with raspberry crème Brule at the DFH New Years Eve dinner.

Served an impressive deep red color with a hint of purple, well, like raspberries. No head, minimal carbonation. Smell is of raspberry (imagine that) a hint of cherry(?) and a bit of vodka.

Taste is solvent like alcohol and raspberries. The alcohol burn is distracting and takes away from the full enjoyment of the beer. Aftertaste is more of the same. I got used to the alcohol burn towards the end. Went well with the desert!

Fresh from the tap? I recommend skipping that and buying a bottle to age for a year or two (or more…). If it settles down with time, this could be great. As is right now, it was still OK.

Hard to rate, because of contrasting likes and dislikes in the catagories. For example, the taste of raspberry was awesome, 4.5, but the solvent alcohol was a 2 at most.

Note that his is a draft review. I have herd that the bottles are good right now… they don’t have nearly the solvent quality that the draft version has. I will update my review after cracking a bottle. (1,097 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -6.9%

25.4 oz bottle says it was bottled on 11/28/05. We consumed it on 6/3/06, split it 4 ways, so I guess I got about 6 oz in a goblet.

Pours a golden orange with a fizzy, thin white head that disappeared fairly quickly.

Scent? Raspberries, raspberries and more raspberries. And alcohol.

As for the taste: like the nose, only two flavors really hit you: raspberries and alcohol. It's almost like children's-cough-medicine-sweet, but with all that fizz it seems more like soda than syrup. Swirling this around in your mouth you really feel the fizzy carbonation. As it finishes, you defnitely feel the alcohol burn -- it's a burn, not alcohol "warmth" -- go down your throat and lodge itself in your belly.

As for mouthfeel, like I said, it's highly carbonated. "Fizzy" was the word that kept popping into mind.

Drinkability? Tough to call this beer drinkable. We found that it did go pretty well with chocolate brownies as a desert -- I think the sweet chocolate flavors coated the mouth and eased the alcohol flavors a bit. When I drank the first half of the glass without any food pairing, I had a hard time getting past the alcohol burn. At 18% ABV, you wouldn't want to have much more than the 6 oz we all had. One participant did say, however, "it's easy to drink more of it than you want to." I think that sums up its alcohol strength quite well and is a backhanded compliment on its drinkability. Of course, he wasn't the guy who shelled out the cash for this bottle. . . .

Kudos to DFH for pushing the envelope with this one. However, I think all the sugars from the raspberries led to a much-too-carbonated ale, and those same sugars led to over-active yeasts and too much alcohol as well. It works as an experiment and perhaps as a desert beer, but at $20 for a bottle that MUST be shared due to the ABV, I probably won't ever get this again. (1,867 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle courtesy of shrek806 good lookin out playa

A: poured a pinkish orange with yellow highlights that had absolutely no head and no lacing at all sticking to the glass. It looks like a colorful barrel aged beer.

S: very big booze aroma smacked my nostrils at first whiff with apparent raspberries notes and vinous wine character as well. It also seemed to have syrup, strawberries, and floral notes too.

T: the booze is pretty intense on the palate but not as punchy like the nose but does kinda mesh with the raspberries and strawberries. It had vinous wine flavor that reminded me of a wine cooler but much boozier.

M: the wine cooler..ahh I mean beer was light to medium body with zero amount of carbonation which had a sweet fruity and extremely boozy finish.

D: obviously the beer drank pretty poor due to the ABV and was a sipper beer for sure but I'm still glad I had the oppotunity to try the strongest fruit beer on earth. (945 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Appearance is beautiful! Its a deep, but perfectly clear red, and bright white head that actually leaves more lacing than expected for the ABV%. When swirled, the alcohol just sticks to the glass.

S: Boozy, almost fuel-like. I get light fruit notes, but it's hard to make out anything over the alcohol. I really wish the smell was better.

T: My first thought was of wine. It's very fruity, can defiantly pick out the raspberries. There is no hop flavor at all, but the beer is nicely balanced. The finish is all booze, but surprisingly, this doesn't detract from the overall good taste.

M: Carbonation is on the high side, the body is medium, but defiantly sticky. It feels somewhat oily too, it's not a bad thing, but thats the best descriptor that I have for the feeling.

D: At 18%, this is a sipping beer, that I will enjoy over a period of an hour or two. (866 characters)

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery