Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

ABV varies from 15-18%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
Reviews: 509 | Hads: 1,035
2.3/5  rDev -37.2%

Pretty clear golden hue with a touch of pinkness from what I can tell, its pretty dark with the power off. Craggy white head. Little flakes float throughout, close to a year of age. Smells of delicious fresh raspberries touch of wheat and grain. Dove into this forgetting that's it 18% took too big of a SIP.

This is a big sweet booze bomb though. Tart raspberries throughout. Champagne like effervescence. Massive syrup like mouthfeel, somehow though carbonation comes through. Lots of alcohol heat and overall booziness. Mouth coating for sure. This beer is just kind of a one trick pony though, tastes like raspberry liquor. Does a good job of showcasing the raspberries but that's about it. Some funky Belgian saison like properties underneath it all but they're barely there.

2.33/5  rDev -36.3%

3 year old bottle poured into some wine glasses and split with friends.

A- This Fort sports a hazy orange color with some faint red/pink going on. Nothing in terms of head and therefore no lacing. Fort looks like fruit juice.

S- Smells like wine or a heavily loaded mixed drink, not like beer. This is berry forward and the alcohol is really big as well, that really gets in the way of the fruits. A big malt addition adding to the sweetness.

T- Taste like a fruity alcoholic drink or a cheap high abv wine. Besides that the raspberry and blackberry work well to make this a fruit beer. It succeeds in that way but the alcohol is really big even 3 years later and it really gets in the way.

M- I can only tske a very small sips of this. The feel is smooth but hot as well with a fruity staying power. The liquid is above medium bodied and coats the mouth and tounge. The carb is rather light.

D- I was good with my 6oz or so, any more would be to much. Share this one with a friend or three. The alcohol and impending heat really take the drinkability on this and just tastes bad in general. It really gets in the fruits way. Im not sure this one can be saved.

2.34/5  rDev -36.1%

A= pours an amber color. Sort of a golden amber with a small thin white head on it that has some decent retention for the strength of the beer. The lacing is minimal

S= Pungent. Loads of rasberries in it with a ton of booze. The heat is obvious and sort of fusal. Smells like rasberry jetfuel.

T= Not as much heat as I anticipated but there is still a TON of heat in this one. Nice rasberry flavor in it which I expected but the heat on this one is way to much. Tastes like rocket fuel.

M= A low carbonation slick sticky feeling.

D= Not what I was hoping for. Way to hot. I find DFH beers are great at around 10- 12 percent on the high end. When they venture venture further the heat starts to be a little too much. Interesting beer but not the best.

2.4/5  rDev -34.4%

Another wacky brew from the folks at Dogfish Head. 18%? Wow. I've had the 120 min and the Worldwide Stout, so I sort of know what to expect out of this, but let's see how it goes.

The pour is a hazy orange/red color with a minimal head. To tell the truth, it's not much to look at. Smell is... Damn. I was hoping for a Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock or a Frambois nose, but it's just not here. With this bottle, at least, the fruit is in the background, and the booziness takes center stage.

Taste. It's a wine. A carbonated raspberry wine.
barley and hops are nowhere to be found, and unfortunately, the raspberry flavour gets lost in the mid-palate. At the start you've got a combination of tartness and alcohol that flows into a harsh swallow and leaves my tongue with a tart berry finish.

OK, I am not digging this beer. If I want a strong raspberry beer, I'll take a Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock 95 times out of 100 over this beer.

2.4/5  rDev -34.4%

this was a weird beer. it was cloudy with a very acidic and alcohol smell. the flavor was not as much raspberry as i would have expected. I was very excited to try this beer, but after tasting it i wish i didnt waste the emotion. the drinkability was straight to my drain.

2.41/5  rDev -34.2%

Raspberries and booze, that's what you'll get out of this one. Pours pinkish with a white head. Smells like it tastes, like raspberries and alcohol. The taste is dominated by the berry and the very warm alcohol. I was hoping for some more complexity with this one, but that's about it. Surprisingly I found this one easier to drink as I went along, that may have had something to do with the 18% strength. This one should almost be treated as an aperitif rather then any traditional beer. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't I'd buy it again for the very steep price they are asking for it.

2.43/5  rDev -33.6%

Clearish orange/pink, like a dark apple juice with a small white head. Nose is some fruit but I can't place my finger on it... oh wait, raspberries... and more raspberries. Then add another handful of 'em. Taste is like raspberry vodka, lots of alcohol. It's actually not bad at first, kind of like strong slightly malted raspberries, but the aftertaste is extemely alcoholic and tart. Mouthfeel is average, drinkability is hurt by both the taste and the ABV.

2.43/5  rDev -33.6%

Report from the field:
Opened the bottle to celebrate being with old, good friends in Little Rock. Sorely disappointed. The nose is interesting, but boozy. Some deep raspberry notes sounding off, but overwhelmed by alcohol. To the eye it is a sullen red liquid with a thin collar. A taste brings all the expected alcohol, sweet red berry jam, and more alcohol. Just too harsh and strong. My wife, a Framboise lover, couldn't handle it. I ended up leaving a corked half bottle, the four of us couldn't finish it. Some earthy notes, mild funk, but the alcohol just was too much. Age it for a fortnight or twenty. I can maybe see this turning to jam and being enjoyable, but right now, I can't finish it.

2.44/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a duvel glass. Pours a cloudy orange color with a nice creamy one-finger head. The aroma is of raspberry juice, and a whole lot of it. The taste is one-dimensional as well, just a lot of raspberries and a medicinal taste like that of cough syrup. The mouthfeel is medium-thick bodied with decent carbonation. This beer is definitely hot.

Overall, an interesting beer that was kind of what one would expect from an 18% fruit beer, just very syrupy and hot. I applaud the effort however.

2.44/5  rDev -33.3%

well carbonated, head drops quickly (due to high alcohol as expected). color is light tannish leather.

smell has is fairly solvent-heavy, as expected for this high ABV, with hints of berry and herbal earthy notes. very iniviting. too bad it deteriorates from there.

taste? like running an emory board over your tongue. extremely one-dimensional, harsh and grainy, with no depth at all. you get to enjoy all the raspberry seed tannins with none of the actual raspberry flavors. even the residual sweetness of the base beer seems to get buried. I can't for the life of me imagine that this was what was intended; it tastes like an experiment gone horribly wrong.

mouthfeel is coating and full, with the expected high ethanol drying effects. the clean finish is at least some consolation for having to suffer through the awful flavor experience itself.

I am unimpressed. not completely, as I like the idea behind this beer, and I can think of numerous ways this could have turned out better. however, this emperor has no clothes, and I look forward to all the self-proclaimed beer geeks proclaiming the wonders of this beer to prove their beer geek status. hypocrites.

given the variability I have experienced with a couple other dogfish head brews, it's possible my bottle was a fluke, and that the vast majority of what made it into the market is better than the bottle I had. (which I ended up dumping the remaining contents of...)

2.46/5  rDev -32.8%

Busted one of these opens for my mom's annual Xmas party - shared it with a bunch of friends. Bottle is from July 2007.

A - Reddish orange - almost copper, looks like it has some suspended solids in there. Thin tannish head that dissipates to a reasonably attractive lace.

S - Raspberries and booze, a bit of solvent in there (a la nail polish remover). Raspberry tart this ain't. Doesn't smell like a beer, but more like a raspberry vodka type deal.

T - Yuck - this is overly hot. Starts like sweet raspberries, but ends like straight vodka.

M - It's hard to get a sense of mouthfeel, as that would entail taking a sip big enough to make a judgment. It seems medium-bodied, and relatively smooth, with only slight carbonation. One of the better features of this brew!

D - Drainpour city - even shared amongst six people the 750ml bottle is too much. Might work better as a mixer or as a shot. I was able to swallow, which elevates it above Triple Bock...

The more Dogfish Head beer I try, the less I like their brews. 90 Minute IPA is good, the rest of it is too boozy, spicy, yeasty, etc. I suppose it's good that they're pushing the limits of craft brewing, but I'm just not into this stuff.

2.51/5  rDev -31.4%

Bottled on 7/10/07. Tasted on 7/31/08.
Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint glass. It was a hazy orange color and had a ton of carbonation. Even with a good pour, it didn't have much of a head which isn't surprising considering the high ABV. No lacing.

The aroma was extreme raspberries and alcohol. Reminded me of raspberry wine cooler. I don't like the ones that overtly reek of alcohol so this got knocked down some. The taste was better than I thought. I expected heavy alcohol to match the aroma but it wasn't as bad. It was still pretty heavy on the ABV but blended better in taste than smell. Heavy raspberry taste as well, of course.

Overall, I just didn't like this one. I like a bunch of fruit beers so it's not that aspect. It seemed to have a good base flavor but really got ruined with the high ABV and alcohol taste. Just made it unenjoyable after a few drinks. Got this one for free so can't complain too much but I wouldn't pay for this one or recommend it.

2.52/5  rDev -31.1%

Poured into snifter from the tap at Dogfish Head brewpub in Rehoboth.

A: Amber color with a pinkish hazy hue to it. Bubbly carbonation, champagne like at first and minimal amounts of lacing on the pour.

S: Raspberry and fruit sweetness and then a bit more sweetmess and raspberries. This does not smell like a beer at all, and alcohol really not evident yet..

T: Here comes more of the raspberries, and the sweetness- and the alcohol does make its presence felt. Did not enjoy this one too much, far prefer the other DFH big beers but this is more of a hard mixer, not pleasurable to me.

M: Champagne like fizz matching the taset. There is a cloying sweetness and it is matched by the alcohol remaining in the back of the palate.

D: Not very drinkable based on the sweetness overbearingness and the high levels of alchohol. Would strongly prefer DFH other high price, high alcohol offerings by far (WW, 120, and others)

This is one of those beers that leaves you wondering afterward if it really is a beer? Not such a good thing to me but interesting. I could see it being a good drink with a dessert or as a sipper. It really takes something special foodwise to cut through the sweetness of this thing.

2.53/5  rDev -30.9%

strawberry juice colored with a white head. about how a big fruit beer should look, IMO. Smells like raspberry jolly ranchers and red wine. Taste is a quick punch of raspberries and then an EXTREME alchol /baby cough syrup flavor. It really smacks you in the mouth. This experience does not diminish as you get further through the beer, either. Totally dominated by the alcohol, like a raspberry flavored mixed drink at a shitty bar. I really didn't like this offering from DH...and i do like fruit beers, even raspberry ones (like New Glarus' Rasp. Tart) but this just didn't do anything for me.

2.54/5  rDev -30.6%

Very hazy. Thin light tan head dissipates very quickly. Thin lacing is left behind.

Smells of Raspberry Tea.

Very strange. Yes I taste the raspberries, but ith has a strange ketchup like flavor to it. This is so sour, it makes my tounge curl a bit.

This is a strange brew to me. I can't give it too a negative review based on my inexperience. Give it a try.

I still love you DFH brewery.

2.54/5  rDev -30.6%

Pours a clear, light orange color with a hint of pink. Small white head that disappears quickly. Scent is sweet cherry/raspberry with hint of cough syrup (Benadryl). Boozy and medicinal. Taste is medicinal as well. Very sweet...can't get over the medicinal flavors in this one. Sweet cherries and raspberries with booze. Mouthfeel is full bodied and hot. Drinkability is not very high. Overall, a good experience, but not something I would purchase ever again.

2.56/5  rDev -30.1%

The had at isn't exactly correct. More of a "bought at". A 750 ml capped brown champagne bottle dated 11/13/06 C. I purchased this bottle at the Rehoboth brewpub in the spring of 2007 if I recall correctly. It had been chilled or refrigerated since that moment. Drank it in a Chimay goblet. The laser etching in the bottom made a neat constant stream of bubbles. Appearance: crystal clear reddish orange. Smell: alcohol and cherries. Taste: Two words, Cherry Nyquil. Very strong hot alcohol. Off the charts chemical cherry flavor. Mouth feel: lighter than I expected. Almost a medium dry wine. Drinkability: During the first few sips I would say very low. But after half a glass it got easier.

2.57/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

5-6 oz. of a bomber poured on January 5th, 2012 into a Bruery tulip.

A - Really like the coloring on this one. Has the looks of a white zinfandel, only with a darker, more golden hue. Super clear and a bit polarizing. Expectedly poor retention. Okay lacing.

S - Overt raspberries, cranberries, and alcohol. I dislike using the word "medicinal" to describe any brew, but this one sort of fits the bill. Some yeast spice and slight malt grains underneath, not nearly enough to round out the dominate fruit aroma.

T - Definitely more of a liquer than anything. Raspberries are absolutely dominant. Alcohol, light pepper, and clover underneath.

M - Medium body, very low carbonation, and puree-like smoothness (I guess DFH described this one pretty accurately). Sweet, medium-length finish with enough alcohol warming in the back to rival any stout or barleywine I've experienced.

D - The intensity of the fruit, combined with the pure alcohol-warming finish makes this a true sipper. I don't know where age can take this one as far as the fruit character is concerned. very difficult for me to handle more than 3-4 oz. of this one, ended up DP'ing the rest of my glass and sealed the bottle for tomorrow, though I doubt I'll make much more of a dent.

2.6/5  rDev -29%

Bottle: Poured a clear light copper color ale with a very small head with little retention. Aroma of sweet raspberry is pleasant enough but the burning alcohol kind of ruin it for me. Taste is quite sweet with some raspberry presence thought not as much as I would have expected (since the label mentioned ‘’over a ton of raspberry’’ I was thinking New Glarus Raspberry style). Alcohol is way too hot for my liking and body is a bit thin. Overall, this is a way too expensive fruity malt liquor.

2.6/5  rDev -29%

Presentation: 750 ml bottle, just above room temp.

Appearance: nice deep red color, minor head, as expected for this type of "beer".

Smell: Great raspberry aroma, with some sourness reminiscent of a geuze.

Taste: Way too sweet for my palate. Not a big fan of the high malt:bitter ratio. Hard to drink more than 1/2 a glass.

Notes: I love DFH, I'm a big fan of the 60, 90, 120, Aprihop, Lawnmower, etc... so I wanted to like this one. But after about 5 sips it becomes undrinkable. If you are prone to try it ... split it with some friends!

2.61/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

July 09, 2007 bottle shared by Chico1985 as one of the last beers of the Ultimate Tasting of Doom 2011: Line-Up = Fullers 1845, Nemesis 2010, Lindemans Faro, Stone RIS 2008, Samuel Smiths Strawberry Ale, BCBCS, Fantome BBB, Saison Dupont, Cisco Winter Woods, DFH Squal, HF Anna, Delerium Tremens, La Choulette Framboise, Drie Fonteinen Schaarbeekse Kriek, Bruery RugBrod and Panil Bariquee Sour.

A- Pours out amber with a small off-white head. Not much retention but a good foamy ring. Spotty lace around the glass.

S- All of the tasters get honey mustard notes. I also get some raspberry, oxidation, honey and old caramel. Medicinal.

T- Oxidation on top of huge alcoholic raspberries. Of course there is also honey mustard, caramel, medicinal syrup and lots of other random fruit hints. Vinegar.

MF- Creamy feel with intensely hot hotness. Finishes just a bit bitter and syrupy.

"Ages with the best of them," I really can't agree with that. It tastes decent at almost 4 years old but the plethora of ridiculous flavors is puzzling.

2.62/5  rDev -28.4%

Was very excited to try this brew.

A:Cloudy appearance, golden with a touch of red. Almost like an amber unfiltered wheat.

S:Smell was not what I had hoped. Very strong smell unfortanatly more familier with cheap wine than a high gravity beer. Obvious fruity tones with a malty underlying scent. The alcohol content was very apparent.

T: Again matched the smell. Unique but reminded me of a cheap white wine much more than I had hoped. Very intense alcohol taste but finished well, malty and sweet.Barely wine type sweetness and sourness, a little more hops would help.

M: Low carbonation, bitter, dry, but finished well.

D: Not for the casual beer drinker. Far to strong of alcohol flavor for casual fruit beer drinkers and too unique for more conservitive beer lovers. For a seasoned High gravity man, went down fairly smooth.

Overall: I was glad I tried this. I am a huge Dogfish head fan but this one I wouldn't have again. Too pricey and just not as good as I had hoped. I will say however that given the task at hand ( ton of raspberries) they did about as good of job as possible.

2.63/5  rDev -28.1%

pours a clear orange with a small white head, and okay lacing.

smell is of malt, grass, lighter fluid, some berries, and earth.

taste is sweet, tart, of raspberry, and malt, ends dry and tart.

overall i would expect more from dogfish head, the smell of lighter fluid was bad and i feel affected the taste as well.

2.64/5  rDev -27.9%

Pours a pinkish red color with very little, and quickly dissipating, head. Smells of raspberries and very strong alcohol. Taste starts smooth and fruity, raspberries abundant, but quickly turns to a pungent alcohol taste that slightly tingles the taste buds. Mouthfeel is not abnormal or strange, just the flavors. I would no refuse one if offered, but would not purchase one of my own. If you're interested in it, try it, no harm in that!

2.65/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours out a rose colour with minal head and some lacing. Nose- raspberry jam and honey. Taste- yeesh- hot boozy sweet raspberries. Fuck, that's not good for business. Its just too damn sweet. Its the same sweetness I've not enjoyed in some other DFH offerings. The raspberries are nice enough, but the its just too hot and sickly sweet. Not enjoyable whatsoever. Why did I crack this one by myself? Better yet, why didn't I buy two bottles of raspberry tart that were in eye sight of this abomination??? Not a happy drinking experience. I think if this had been toned down a tad it would have turned out better. good for DFH to experiment, just don't bottle it and charge me almost $20 for it!

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery