Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros

A- Pours a dark orange and very hazy. Not too much going on here for the head either.

S- Smells of alcohol for sure and a mixture of raspberries.

T- Alcohol is everywhere and almost insane. A very slight raspberry taste and that is pretty much it.

M- Very thick and syrupy. Fuller side of medium in body and low carbonation.

D- The search continues for a fruit beer I like. No thanks I'll stick with their IPA's for sure next time.

nrbw23, Mar 10, 2010

drewburning25, Jan 20, 2012

tjeppaint, Feb 04, 2012

jfcaa193, Feb 14, 2012
2.1/5  rDev -42.9%

After about a year of pondering the purchase of this beer, I finally caved and purchased a bottle of 07 this past Friday.

A: Murky brownish amber in color

S: Strangely vegetable-like and slightly sour aroma

T: Akin to a cheap sweetish wine with carbonation, a slight hint of raspberries, not sure where the ton of berries went to, definitely not into my bottle.

Mouthfeel: Average decent body, just not something that I want to keep in my mouth for too long.

Drinkability: I am halfway through my 1st glass and I can certainly feel the alcohol doing its work, unfortunately I cannot get past the peculiar vegetal off-taste of this brew.

I am supremely disappointed in this brew, if it wasn't for the $16 I would send this one along to the town sewer. I guess that I should have bought the Midas Touch.

Cheers

6470zzy, Dec 13, 2008
2.1/5  rDev -42.9%

This was not fun to drink. I picked this up at my local bottle shop thinking I would be adventurous. What a nightmare, thank the Lord I had jdkls to help me finish this one off.

The appearance is actually beautiful. A nice lightly red tinted golden color is present, and boy is it clear. Nice clarity, and on top of that is a crisp half finger white head that leaves pretty quick. The alcoholic legs on this were not extreme, but fun to watch slide down the sides of my glass.

The smell is not very strong, but what is there is very straight forward. Sweet red raspberry sweetness paired with 120 Minute ABV sweetness. Thats it.

The taste is very simple. The taste is of faint raspberries with gasoline. I have some advice for you, if you are first drinking this beer, do NOT inhale. This beer actually harms you. The back of my throat and my mouth burned with alcohol and nasty additive flavors. There are not many flavors in this. It reminded me of the worst parts of 120 Minute, burning ethanol and sugar from the malts and raspberries.

The mouthfeel was terrible, like taking shots of 151. Terrible.

I could not of finished the whole bottle, I would of died if I did not have a friend helping me out. I do not understand why this HAD to be 18% ABV. Why!?! Just make it a sessionable 5% and take away all of the burn and make it at least a bit enjoyable. Sugar sweetness and burning sensations made this a very big disappointment.

J

Jmoore50, Dec 18, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -42.1%

Orange golden red semi transparent body. Big white head, tan after agitation, rocky and fluffy with mostly medium to large bubbles. Good retention and clumpy lace.
The smell is a big whack of fresh sweet raspberries. Only a hint of alcohol.
Damn, the taste does not live up to the pleasant smell. The alcohol burn is way too strong and blurs out the other flavors that hopelessly tries to emerge. The raspberries poke through for just a moment but then are gone.
The aftertaste and mouthfeel is similar to listerine, yuck.
Much to expensive to be a drainpour, but alas it is.

-Oelergud

oelergud, May 05, 2007
2.13/5  rDev -42.1%

Bottled 2008

A-pours a dirty, cloudy, grapefruit juice looking color with a thin off white head that dissipates quickly.

S-the nose is full of raspberries and solvent alcohol, acetone, light rotten vegetable and a hint of spice in the finish. The booze is extremely strong but the vibrant raspberry do their best to mask it in a failing attempt.

T-so much alcohol in this, huge solvent alcohol met with sweet ripe raspberry. bitter rotten vegetables blend with a white peppery spice as the acetone kicks in full gear in the finish. rough malt flavors are muddled underneath the fruit and rubbing alcohol to create a boozy fruity mess.

M-again a messy malt body with a grainy syrupy texture and heavy feel to it. strong carbonation is the highlight with a crisp biting finish to balance the syrupy feel.

D-this is rough stuff, tough to get through a whole bottle. the raspberries are great its the rest of the beer that doesn't work. just too much going on with an unfocused malt presence and overly boozy flavor.

cpetrone84, Dec 27, 2010
2.15/5  rDev -41.6%

I had high expectations of this beer after the owner of the local beer shop raved about it. She had me totally convinced that this beer would be the best I had ever tasted. She described it as "chocolate covered raspberries".

Not . . . so . . . much. I poured it into a glass. It had a minimal amount of head and was amber and cloudy in color.

The smell was very sweet. It had a hint of raspberry, but that was soon followed by a high alcohol smell. It smelled almost like a raspberry cough syrup.

I've had many a fruit beer in my day and others pull it off exceptionally well with genuine fruit flavors. Even though this one is brewed with raspberries is has a very artificial flavor to it. That coupled with the burn from the high ABV created that cough syrup flavor.

I couldn't get away from the syrupy feel of this beer. It was hard to describe because it wasn't like a thicker beer. It was thick but sugary at the same time.

I'm glad the woman told me she would give me my money back if I didn't like it. I did finish off the bottle, but didn't really enjoy it at all. It was too artificial tasting. It's what I would expect from the cheaper versions of flavored beer.

DawnDebauchery, Jan 19, 2012
2.15/5  rDev -41.6%

Bottle date was 7/9/07, almost 4 years old. This is the beer I blame for my terrible hangover the next day.

Pours hazy reddish orange, I imagined it being more pink. Surprising off-white head retains well and leaves some lace.

Ugh. What a scent...honey mustard, mustard seed, oxidation, and light berries. Just...pretty damn bad.

Not quite as bad as the smell, but close. Mustard, raspberries, vodka, caramel. Mouthfeel is well-carbonated and I wouldn't call it super boozy, but between all the alcohol and weird flavors I can't even say this is really close to enjoyable.

I had this fresh on-tap once and that was better. Not sure if age is to blame here but this was one wacky, off-putting beer that gave me bad flashbacks the next day.

Chico1985, Jun 23, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -41.6%

A- Dark orange, very hazy, quickly dissipating head.

S- rubbing alcohol with a raspberry hint.

T- painfully alcoholic. slight raspberry taste which became more apparent over the 90 or so minutes it took me to drink this one.

M- Very thick and syrupy. the feel is probably the best thing this beer has going for it.

D- ugh...never again. i forced myself to finish it because i paid so much for it. the idea of buying another one is laughable. i tried this because DFH has some other solid extreme beers. im glad to be able to say ive tried the worlds strongest fruit/vegetable beer, but i bet ill never try it again.

jwinship83, Jul 31, 2008

Drank on-tap at Eli Cannon's Tap Room, Middletown, CT

Poured a cloudy, salmon-magenta with a thin, wispy, white film that quickly disappeared. The beer was very lambic-like in appearance.

The aroma was quite alcohol rich. Vodka-like with faint indications of ripe berries and a slight sour quality. It was not until the near end of the drink that the berry aroma really came forth. Candy-like notes of raspberries and strawberries were apparent. Unfortunately, it was a bit too little too late.

The taste was overwhelmingly alcoholic. Once again, vodka came to mind. Some faint berry flavors appeared mid-palate. Somewhat wine-like. The finish was slightly acidic and sour with the alcohol dominating once again. Notes of lemon peel came through in the aftertaste, along with a touch of syrupy sweetness.

Mouthfeel was light and fluffy on the palate with a fine, spritzy, lively carbonation. Practically champagne-like.

Drinkability was absolutely awful. This beer reminded me of a terrible sort of "jungle juice" concoction that I may have drunk in college. It seemed like every aspect of the beer was too thin to keep up with the extreme 18% ABV. Maybe if it were aged it would mellow out to a more palatable digestif. Until it did, I would stay away from this.

Damian, Mar 22, 2008
2.17/5  rDev -41%

This is some pricey stuff. The wife and I considered it a special occasion bottle and took it over to some friends house to share over dinner.
I gotta say that the label, designed by Tara McPherson, has the cutest cartoon female I think I've ever seen. Well, her and the Esurance one. The drink itself looks nice too. At first pour it reminds me a bit like apple cider but given a minute in the glass it takes on a summer at dusk orange look. You can smell the alcohol in it. No doubt about that. The raspberry scent raps itself around it. Very interesting. We adjusted our tastebuds accordingly, clinked our glasses and took a sip. Then we all looked at each other.
"Ugh! Cough medicine" was everyone's first reaction. Follow up tastes didn't change much from that. I don't know if that was DFH's intention or if they need to experiment more with the idea. From start to finish it very medicinal and drying. Ethanol was mentioned more than once. The raspberry taste seems it more of the seed than the fruit and any sweetness that comes from it is hanging on heavy and thick to the alcohol making the whole damn thing unpleasant. All of us there are Dogfish Head fans. We wanted to get around the idea of Fort expecting something a bit juicy and sweet and knew we'd be getting a bit more kick but couldn't get into it. Especially at 18 bucks for a 750 mil bottle.

Dalem, Dec 26, 2007
2.17/5  rDev -41%

750 ml bottle that was made on November 13, 2006, purchased at Liquid Solutions for a very expensive $17.55

I will start off by saying I opened this last night when a bunch of friends came over, but then nobody wanted any, so I was stuck drinking this whole thing by myself and it pretty much knocked me out, strongest beer I have I believe, wow!

Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter with a pinkish brown color, pretty funky looking with a pretty large foamy head that settled pretty quickly, left some lacing but not much

Smell was pure raspberries and surprisingly reminded me of a fruity soda with the amount of carbonation and the small bubbles rushing to the top, impressive for a beer that was capped, not corked

Taste was a little rough for me, almost like a berry blended barleywine, nothing like any fruit beer I have ever had and had a lot more hops than I thought it would especially after a year, but was pretty bitter, aftertaste was a little nasty and it just kept kicking, can really taste the high alcohol in this one, beer at first and then quickly turns into a champagne like aftertaste with not much raspberry oddly, wish it had more of a fruit taste

Could not drink another sip of this, but I did finish the entire bottle and that is part of the reason why I was not in the shape to write this review last night, too strong for one person

Cool to try because it is the strongest fruit beer in the world, but it is extremely pricey and pretty hard to find, I do not know if I could recommend this beer, but if you are curious like I was, you need to give it a try

Floydster, Oct 28, 2007
2.23/5  rDev -39.4%

2008 bottle.

Appears murky brownish red. It looks like carbonated red muddy swamp water. It also look s like a blood infused iced coffee drink. There is no real head to this beer.

It smells of brown sugar, rust, sweet malt and sweet raspberries. It does not have a complex raspberry smell like many other raspberry beers do.

It tastes of sweet malts. I get a bit of a brown sugar flavor. There is a raspberry flavor that is muddled in with a strong alcohol flavor. The finish of this beer is pretty nasty. It finishes with a strong rusty flavor.

it has a thick mouthfeel.

I feel like I have rusty nails in my mouth this rusty taste just will not go away. Drinking this makes my stomach turn. An interesting concept though the result is pretty poor. I can taste some berry flavor but the alcohol taste and the rustiness makes this beer not appealing.

My dad kind of likes it but he is kind of an alcoholic anyhow!

chumba526, Jun 19, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

jburke87, Jun 18, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -38%

3 year old bottle poured into some wine glasses and split with friends.

A- This Fort sports a hazy orange color with some faint red/pink going on. Nothing in terms of head and therefore no lacing. Fort looks like fruit juice.

S- Smells like wine or a heavily loaded mixed drink, not like beer. This is berry forward and the alcohol is really big as well, that really gets in the way of the fruits. A big malt addition adding to the sweetness.

T- Taste like a fruity alcoholic drink or a cheap high abv wine. Besides that the raspberry and blackberry work well to make this a fruit beer. It succeeds in that way but the alcohol is really big even 3 years later and it really gets in the way.

M- I can only tske a very small sips of this. The feel is smooth but hot as well with a fruity staying power. The liquid is above medium bodied and coats the mouth and tounge. The carb is rather light.

D- I was good with my 6oz or so, any more would be to much. Share this one with a friend or three. The alcohol and impending heat really take the drinkability on this and just tastes bad in general. It really gets in the fruits way. Im not sure this one can be saved.

BARFLYB, Aug 26, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -37.5%

Pretty clear golden hue with a touch of pinkness from what I can tell, its pretty dark with the power off. Craggy white head. Little flakes float throughout, close to a year of age. Smells of delicious fresh raspberries touch of wheat and grain. Dove into this forgetting that's it 18% took too big of a SIP.

This is a big sweet booze bomb though. Tart raspberries throughout. Champagne like effervescence. Massive syrup like mouthfeel, somehow though carbonation comes through. Lots of alcohol heat and overall booziness. Mouth coating for sure. This beer is just kind of a one trick pony though, tastes like raspberry liquor. Does a good job of showcasing the raspberries but that's about it. Some funky Belgian saison like properties underneath it all but they're barely there.

jtierney89, Nov 09, 2012
2.33/5  rDev -36.7%

well carbonated, head drops quickly (due to high alcohol as expected). color is light tannish leather.

smell has is fairly solvent-heavy, as expected for this high ABV, with hints of berry and herbal earthy notes. very iniviting. too bad it deteriorates from there.

taste? like running an emory board over your tongue. extremely one-dimensional, harsh and grainy, with no depth at all. you get to enjoy all the raspberry seed tannins with none of the actual raspberry flavors. even the residual sweetness of the base beer seems to get buried. I can't for the life of me imagine that this was what was intended; it tastes like an experiment gone horribly wrong.

mouthfeel is coating and full, with the expected high ethanol drying effects. the clean finish is at least some consolation for having to suffer through the awful flavor experience itself.

I am unimpressed. not completely, as I like the idea behind this beer, and I can think of numerous ways this could have turned out better. however, this emperor has no clothes, and I look forward to all the self-proclaimed beer geeks proclaiming the wonders of this beer to prove their beer geek status. hypocrites.

given the variability I have experienced with a couple other dogfish head brews, it's possible my bottle was a fluke, and that the vast majority of what made it into the market is better than the bottle I had. (which I ended up dumping the remaining contents of...)

tfinn, Feb 14, 2006
2.35/5  rDev -36.1%

this was a weird beer. it was cloudy with a very acidic and alcohol smell. the flavor was not as much raspberry as i would have expected. I was very excited to try this beer, but after tasting it i wish i didnt waste the emotion. the drinkability was straight to my drain.

NoahSYGG, Oct 13, 2008
2.35/5  rDev -36.1%

A= pours an amber color. Sort of a golden amber with a small thin white head on it that has some decent retention for the strength of the beer. The lacing is minimal

S= Pungent. Loads of rasberries in it with a ton of booze. The heat is obvious and sort of fusal. Smells like rasberry jetfuel.

T= Not as much heat as I anticipated but there is still a TON of heat in this one. Nice rasberry flavor in it which I expected but the heat on this one is way to much. Tastes like rocket fuel.

M= A low carbonation slick sticky feeling.

D= Not what I was hoping for. Way to hot. I find DFH beers are great at around 10- 12 percent on the high end. When they venture venture further the heat starts to be a little too much. Interesting beer but not the best.

jjanega08, Mar 16, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -35.3%

Clearish orange/pink, like a dark apple juice with a small white head. Nose is some fruit but I can't place my finger on it... oh wait, raspberries... and more raspberries. Then add another handful of 'em. Taste is like raspberry vodka, lots of alcohol. It's actually not bad at first, kind of like strong slightly malted raspberries, but the aftertaste is extemely alcoholic and tart. Mouthfeel is average, drinkability is hurt by both the taste and the ABV.

shivtim, Jan 14, 2007

Report from the field:
Opened the bottle to celebrate being with old, good friends in Little Rock. Sorely disappointed. The nose is interesting, but boozy. Some deep raspberry notes sounding off, but overwhelmed by alcohol. To the eye it is a sullen red liquid with a thin collar. A taste brings all the expected alcohol, sweet red berry jam, and more alcohol. Just too harsh and strong. My wife, a Framboise lover, couldn't handle it. I ended up leaving a corked half bottle, the four of us couldn't finish it. Some earthy notes, mild funk, but the alcohol just was too much. Age it for a fortnight or twenty. I can maybe see this turning to jam and being enjoyable, but right now, I can't finish it.

HardTarget, Dec 30, 2006
2.38/5  rDev -35.3%

Raspberries and booze, that's what you'll get out of this one. Pours pinkish with a white head. Smells like it tastes, like raspberries and alcohol. The taste is dominated by the berry and the very warm alcohol. I was hoping for some more complexity with this one, but that's about it. Surprisingly I found this one easier to drink as I went along, that may have had something to do with the 18% strength. This one should almost be treated as an aperitif rather then any traditional beer. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't I'd buy it again for the very steep price they are asking for it.

judzillah, Jan 06, 2007
2.4/5  rDev -34.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a duvel glass. Pours a cloudy orange color with a nice creamy one-finger head. The aroma is of raspberry juice, and a whole lot of it. The taste is one-dimensional as well, just a lot of raspberries and a medicinal taste like that of cough syrup. The mouthfeel is medium-thick bodied with decent carbonation. This beer is definitely hot.

Overall, an interesting beer that was kind of what one would expect from an 18% fruit beer, just very syrupy and hot. I applaud the effort however.

mkotsayfan, Feb 19, 2012