2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

FortFort

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
Ratings: 928 | Reviews: 488 | Show All Ratings:
HardTarget

Report from the field:
Opened the bottle to celebrate being with old, good friends in Little Rock. Sorely disappointed. The nose is interesting, but boozy. Some deep raspberry notes sounding off, but overwhelmed by alcohol. To the eye it is a sullen red liquid with a thin collar. A taste brings all the expected alcohol, sweet red berry jam, and more alcohol. Just too harsh and strong. My wife, a Framboise lover, couldn't handle it. I ended up leaving a corked half bottle, the four of us couldn't finish it. Some earthy notes, mild funk, but the alcohol just was too much. Age it for a fortnight or twenty. I can maybe see this turning to jam and being enjoyable, but right now, I can't finish it.

12-30-2006 00:09:08 | More by HardTarget
judzillah

2.38/5  rDev -35.3%

Raspberries and booze, that's what you'll get out of this one. Pours pinkish with a white head. Smells like it tastes, like raspberries and alcohol. The taste is dominated by the berry and the very warm alcohol. I was hoping for some more complexity with this one, but that's about it. Surprisingly I found this one easier to drink as I went along, that may have had something to do with the 18% strength. This one should almost be treated as an aperitif rather then any traditional beer. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't I'd buy it again for the very steep price they are asking for it.

01-06-2007 17:48:39 | More by judzillah
shivtim

Georgia

2.38/5  rDev -35.3%

Clearish orange/pink, like a dark apple juice with a small white head. Nose is some fruit but I can't place my finger on it... oh wait, raspberries... and more raspberries. Then add another handful of 'em. Taste is like raspberry vodka, lots of alcohol. It's actually not bad at first, kind of like strong slightly malted raspberries, but the aftertaste is extemely alcoholic and tart. Mouthfeel is average, drinkability is hurt by both the taste and the ABV.

01-14-2007 05:18:29 | More by shivtim
MasterSki

2.4/5  rDev -34.8%

Busted one of these opens for my mom's annual Xmas party - shared it with a bunch of friends. Bottle is from July 2007.

A - Reddish orange - almost copper, looks like it has some suspended solids in there. Thin tannish head that dissipates to a reasonably attractive lace.

S - Raspberries and booze, a bit of solvent in there (a la nail polish remover). Raspberry tart this ain't. Doesn't smell like a beer, but more like a raspberry vodka type deal.

T - Yuck - this is overly hot. Starts like sweet raspberries, but ends like straight vodka.

M - It's hard to get a sense of mouthfeel, as that would entail taking a sip big enough to make a judgment. It seems medium-bodied, and relatively smooth, with only slight carbonation. One of the better features of this brew!

D - Drainpour city - even shared amongst six people the 750ml bottle is too much. Might work better as a mixer or as a shot. I was able to swallow, which elevates it above Triple Bock...

The more Dogfish Head beer I try, the less I like their brews. 90 Minute IPA is good, the rest of it is too boozy, spicy, yeasty, etc. I suppose it's good that they're pushing the limits of craft brewing, but I'm just not into this stuff.

12-27-2008 22:24:44 | More by MasterSki
mkotsayfan

2.4/5  rDev -34.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a duvel glass. Pours a cloudy orange color with a nice creamy one-finger head. The aroma is of raspberry juice, and a whole lot of it. The taste is one-dimensional as well, just a lot of raspberries and a medicinal taste like that of cough syrup. The mouthfeel is medium-thick bodied with decent carbonation. This beer is definitely hot.

Overall, an interesting beer that was kind of what one would expect from an 18% fruit beer, just very syrupy and hot. I applaud the effort however.

02-19-2012 23:02:31 | More by mkotsayfan
DaveFL1976

2.42/5  rDev -34.2%

Another wacky brew from the folks at Dogfish Head. 18%? Wow. I've had the 120 min and the Worldwide Stout, so I sort of know what to expect out of this, but let's see how it goes.

The pour is a hazy orange/red color with a minimal head. To tell the truth, it's not much to look at. Smell is... Damn. I was hoping for a Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock or a Frambois nose, but it's just not here. With this bottle, at least, the fruit is in the background, and the booziness takes center stage.

Taste. It's a wine. A carbonated raspberry wine.
barley and hops are nowhere to be found, and unfortunately, the raspberry flavour gets lost in the mid-palate. At the start you've got a combination of tartness and alcohol that flows into a harsh swallow and leaves my tongue with a tart berry finish.

OK, I am not digging this beer. If I want a strong raspberry beer, I'll take a Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock 95 times out of 100 over this beer.

07-17-2009 04:34:27 | More by DaveFL1976
aforbes10

Iowa

2.45/5  rDev -33.4%

strawberry juice colored with a white head. about how a big fruit beer should look, IMO. Smells like raspberry jolly ranchers and red wine. Taste is a quick punch of raspberries and then an EXTREME alchol /baby cough syrup flavor. It really smacks you in the mouth. This experience does not diminish as you get further through the beer, either. Totally dominated by the alcohol, like a raspberry flavored mixed drink at a shitty bar. I really didn't like this offering from DH...and i do like fruit beers, even raspberry ones (like New Glarus' Rasp. Tart) but this just didn't do anything for me.

01-01-2007 21:27:01 | More by aforbes10
TheSarge

2.45/5  rDev -33.4%

Very hazy. Thin light tan head dissipates very quickly. Thin lacing is left behind.

Smells of Raspberry Tea.

Very strange. Yes I taste the raspberries, but ith has a strange ketchup like flavor to it. This is so sour, it makes my tounge curl a bit.

This is a strange brew to me. I can't give it too a negative review based on my inexperience. Give it a try.

I still love you DFH brewery.

02-23-2007 11:06:26 | More by TheSarge
marcpal

2.48/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured into snifter from the tap at Dogfish Head brewpub in Rehoboth.

A: Amber color with a pinkish hazy hue to it. Bubbly carbonation, champagne like at first and minimal amounts of lacing on the pour.

S: Raspberry and fruit sweetness and then a bit more sweetmess and raspberries. This does not smell like a beer at all, and alcohol really not evident yet..

T: Here comes more of the raspberries, and the sweetness- and the alcohol does make its presence felt. Did not enjoy this one too much, far prefer the other DFH big beers but this is more of a hard mixer, not pleasurable to me.

M: Champagne like fizz matching the taset. There is a cloying sweetness and it is matched by the alcohol remaining in the back of the palate.

D: Not very drinkable based on the sweetness overbearingness and the high levels of alchohol. Would strongly prefer DFH other high price, high alcohol offerings by far (WW, 120, and others)

This is one of those beers that leaves you wondering afterward if it really is a beer? Not such a good thing to me but interesting. I could see it being a good drink with a dessert or as a sipper. It really takes something special foodwise to cut through the sweetness of this thing.

12-30-2007 20:27:02 | More by marcpal
TexIndy

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

Bottled on 7/10/07. Tasted on 7/31/08.
Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint glass. It was a hazy orange color and had a ton of carbonation. Even with a good pour, it didn't have much of a head which isn't surprising considering the high ABV. No lacing.

The aroma was extreme raspberries and alcohol. Reminded me of raspberry wine cooler. I don't like the ones that overtly reek of alcohol so this got knocked down some. The taste was better than I thought. I expected heavy alcohol to match the aroma but it wasn't as bad. It was still pretty heavy on the ABV but blended better in taste than smell. Heavy raspberry taste as well, of course.

Overall, I just didn't like this one. I like a bunch of fruit beers so it's not that aspect. It seemed to have a good base flavor but really got ruined with the high ABV and alcohol taste. Just made it unenjoyable after a few drinks. Got this one for free so can't complain too much but I wouldn't pay for this one or recommend it.

07-31-2008 21:07:26 | More by TexIndy
pecokid

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

The had at isn't exactly correct. More of a "bought at". A 750 ml capped brown champagne bottle dated 11/13/06 C. I purchased this bottle at the Rehoboth brewpub in the spring of 2007 if I recall correctly. It had been chilled or refrigerated since that moment. Drank it in a Chimay goblet. The laser etching in the bottom made a neat constant stream of bubbles. Appearance: crystal clear reddish orange. Smell: alcohol and cherries. Taste: Two words, Cherry Nyquil. Very strong hot alcohol. Off the charts chemical cherry flavor. Mouth feel: lighter than I expected. Almost a medium dry wine. Drinkability: During the first few sips I would say very low. But after half a glass it got easier.

04-09-2010 23:29:30 | More by pecokid
DovaliHops

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

Pours a clear, light orange color with a hint of pink. Small white head that disappears quickly. Scent is sweet cherry/raspberry with hint of cough syrup (Benadryl). Boozy and medicinal. Taste is medicinal as well. Very sweet...can't get over the medicinal flavors in this one. Sweet cherries and raspberries with booze. Mouthfeel is full bodied and hot. Drinkability is not very high. Overall, a good experience, but not something I would purchase ever again.

02-18-2012 08:32:09 | More by DovaliHops
sequenceman

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

Presentation: 750 ml bottle, just above room temp.

Appearance: nice deep red color, minor head, as expected for this type of "beer".

Smell: Great raspberry aroma, with some sourness reminiscent of a geuze.

Taste: Way too sweet for my palate. Not a big fan of the high malt:bitter ratio. Hard to drink more than 1/2 a glass.

Notes: I love DFH, I'm a big fan of the 60, 90, 120, Aprihop, Lawnmower, etc... so I wanted to like this one. But after about 5 sips it becomes undrinkable. If you are prone to try it ... split it with some friends!

07-03-2007 23:33:08 | More by sequenceman
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

Bottle: Poured a clear light copper color ale with a very small head with little retention. Aroma of sweet raspberry is pleasant enough but the burning alcohol kind of ruin it for me. Taste is quite sweet with some raspberry presence thought not as much as I would have expected (since the label mentioned ‘’over a ton of raspberry’’ I was thinking New Glarus Raspberry style). Alcohol is way too hot for my liking and body is a bit thin. Overall, this is a way too expensive fruity malt liquor.

05-24-2006 14:17:52 | More by Phyl21ca
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

Pours out a rose colour with minal head and some lacing. Nose- raspberry jam and honey. Taste- yeesh- hot boozy sweet raspberries. Fuck, that's not good for business. Its just too damn sweet. Its the same sweetness I've not enjoyed in some other DFH offerings. The raspberries are nice enough, but the its just too hot and sickly sweet. Not enjoyable whatsoever. Why did I crack this one by myself? Better yet, why didn't I buy two bottles of raspberry tart that were in eye sight of this abomination??? Not a happy drinking experience. I think if this had been toned down a tad it would have turned out better. good for DFH to experiment, just don't bottle it and charge me almost $20 for it!

10-14-2007 01:11:18 | More by oakbluff
Sponan

Tennessee

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

2006 edition poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Copper colored with some red highlights. Good 1 to 1 1/2 finger head that lasts. Some lacing, but not a lot.

Smell - First impression is raspberry, then mingling with alcohol and yeast. It doesn't smell overly sweet.

Taste - Hints of raspberries, with less sweetness than I expected. And then I got hit with an alcohol bomb. The alcohol is way too pronounced in this one. I thought letting it sit around for 18 months would mellow it a bit. Obviously not. No balance at all. I like my beer to at least remind me of beer.

Mouthfeel - The high carbonation is great, but the alcohol is again just too much.

Drinkability - Between the price and the difficulty drinking, I really don't think too highly of this beer. I have had moonshine that is easier to drink.

This is not one of my favorite DFH beers. No balance or subtlety here. Try one of their other extreme beers instead.

02-25-2008 23:42:12 | More by Sponan
cbutova

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

July 09, 2007 bottle shared by Chico1985 as one of the last beers of the Ultimate Tasting of Doom 2011: Line-Up = Fullers 1845, Nemesis 2010, Lindemans Faro, Stone RIS 2008, Samuel Smiths Strawberry Ale, BCBCS, Fantome BBB, Saison Dupont, Cisco Winter Woods, DFH Squal, HF Anna, Delerium Tremens, La Choulette Framboise, Drie Fonteinen Schaarbeekse Kriek, Bruery RugBrod and Panil Bariquee Sour.

A- Pours out amber with a small off-white head. Not much retention but a good foamy ring. Spotty lace around the glass.

S- All of the tasters get honey mustard notes. I also get some raspberry, oxidation, honey and old caramel. Medicinal.

T- Oxidation on top of huge alcoholic raspberries. Of course there is also honey mustard, caramel, medicinal syrup and lots of other random fruit hints. Vinegar.

MF- Creamy feel with intensely hot hotness. Finishes just a bit bitter and syrupy.

"Ages with the best of them," I really can't agree with that. It tastes decent at almost 4 years old but the plethora of ridiculous flavors is puzzling.

06-19-2011 05:38:20 | More by cbutova
darkside7268

2.63/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a pinkish red color with very little, and quickly dissipating, head. Smells of raspberries and very strong alcohol. Taste starts smooth and fruity, raspberries abundant, but quickly turns to a pungent alcohol taste that slightly tingles the taste buds. Mouthfeel is not abnormal or strange, just the flavors. I would no refuse one if offered, but would not purchase one of my own. If you're interested in it, try it, no harm in that!

01-08-2011 02:24:59 | More by darkside7268
Thefinerthings

Tennessee

2.65/5  rDev -28%

Was very excited to try this brew.

A:Cloudy appearance, golden with a touch of red. Almost like an amber unfiltered wheat.

S:Smell was not what I had hoped. Very strong smell unfortanatly more familier with cheap wine than a high gravity beer. Obvious fruity tones with a malty underlying scent. The alcohol content was very apparent.

T: Again matched the smell. Unique but reminded me of a cheap white wine much more than I had hoped. Very intense alcohol taste but finished well, malty and sweet.Barely wine type sweetness and sourness, a little more hops would help.

M: Low carbonation, bitter, dry, but finished well.

D: Not for the casual beer drinker. Far to strong of alcohol flavor for casual fruit beer drinkers and too unique for more conservitive beer lovers. For a seasoned High gravity man, went down fairly smooth.

Overall: I was glad I tried this. I am a huge Dogfish head fan but this one I wouldn't have again. Too pricey and just not as good as I had hoped. I will say however that given the task at hand ( ton of raspberries) they did about as good of job as possible.

01-26-2009 04:57:21 | More by Thefinerthings
mjc410

Vermont

2.68/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured into a Duvel tulip for probably the only sampling I'll ever have...

A: Bright amber, medium-light carbonation rising to the top, slight head as a ring around the top with thick lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Alcohol is the strongest scent, with a hint of raspberries

T: Tingling carbonation, slight acidity, raspberry comes through at the end, alcohol is increasingly warming

M: Mouth coating, slightly toward syrupy

D: Not very good - too highly alcoholic, without any real "beer" taste

02-24-2006 05:55:56 | More by mjc410
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

2.68/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured a fizzy, orangy pink appearence, bubbles but no head - though it did leave somelacing. First impression is the 18% - yup, you can certainly tell its there - each and every one of the 18%, for sure. This is like a harsh and potent raspberry syrop that really burns. Raspberries seem authentic but not sweet, and the beer is honestly too pinsing and drowned out with alcohol to make it any way fruity. Aroma did evolve sniff to sniff though. Can't find any hops. Liquere like, actually very reminscent of a cognac and became continuously so as it warmed. Syropy and an alltogether different fruit beer. Perhaps slightly enjoyable (in a small dosage) but overall, flavours are scraped out by this burning cognac taste and mouthfeel is void of any finish or aftertaste. Where does this stand? Nothing in any way completes this beer. Couldn't tell you how this one would age, but I wouldn't be willing to try it. A neat one for sure, though I wouldn't revisit I was very happy to try - big thanks to northyorkSammy!

This beer seemed to hit the head more than it hit the tastebuds. A beer of this strength is hard done by to have any grace, and it doesn't.
Like other DogFish Head products, they've crafted this creative, over-the-top beer that I appreciate more for it's quality and creativity, than I do enjoy it for it's taste.

05-25-2006 16:48:31 | More by biegaman
froghop

Washington

2.68/5  rDev -27.2%

pours a clear orange with a small white head, and okay lacing.

smell is of malt, grass, lighter fluid, some berries, and earth.

taste is sweet, tart, of raspberry, and malt, ends dry and tart.

overall i would expect more from dogfish head, the smell of lighter fluid was bad and i feel affected the taste as well.

06-14-2009 15:48:08 | More by froghop
mtnbikerpa

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%

This brew was poured from a 750 ml bottle. Poured a reddish hue with about 2 inches of thick head. Strong scents of paint thinner or solvent. Thick alcohol flavor along with nail polish remover. Very little if any raspberry flavor. No fruit flavors to speak of. Mouthfeel is heavy. Drinkable nature is very limited.

04-27-2010 23:46:57 | More by mtnbikerpa
2xHops

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%

When I first poured this... What the hell? The color seems quite thin and transparent. There were a lot of head and carbonation fizzing up. It reminded me a bit of Duvel, but with a bit more carbonation.

Smell - I definitely can smell the raspberries coming out of this bottle, and it was alright.

Taste - I personally thought the taste was peculiar for something that I usually love: raspberries. The raspberry flavor is there, which I like, but I felt that something else was screwing it up.

Mouthfeel - It's too thin and over-carbonated for my taste. It's too bubbly in my mouth. It felt a bit like a cheap sparkling juice a recovering alcoholic might drink at a New Year's Eve party.

Drinkability - I guess a lot of people would like this, but it's not very drinkable for me because mainly of the carbonation. I tried hard to try liking it, but couldn't. It's, by far, my least favorite Dogfish Head beer.

01-17-2011 04:24:41 | More by 2xHops
CONOR8832

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

A - Very colorful beer, beautiful aray of colors, amber, some shades of pink, and some delicate red tones,I am sure from the rasberries. Very eye catching in appearance.

S - Solid aroma of fresh off the vine rasberries, with a touch of a freshly popped botte of chanpagne. This smell reminds me of a New Years celebration.

T - An explosive hit of fresh pureed rasberrries, there are a few citrus tasting notes in there but mostly fermented rasberries. Slight taste of some wood/oak notes with the champagne flavor left to linger on your tounge.

M - Ok I am going to make my champagne reference again. Yes this beer was very bubbly and dry, like a fine french champange. (I am now done with champagne references)

D - Not my personal favorite but I have to try everything. There was a little to much rasberry flavor/sweetness. I know that this is a fruit beer but in my opinion I did not care for the the sweetness that Fort had to it, like I said not my favorite but it is ok. Good beer to have after dinner in combination with some dark chocolate.

09-06-2010 13:43:09 | More by CONOR8832