Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

Reddish/pink lemonade pour. Not much going on in the foam or lacing departments.

Smells like a raspberry kids drink, but highly alcoholic. Like a boozy juice box. Sign me up.

Flavor is pretty much along those same lines. Smooth, sweet raspberries, with a hot, somewhat numbing finish. Booze is very apparent, though I wouldn't have guessed 18%.

Smooth, syrupy texture. Leaves a light tickle in the back of the throat. Hard to drink more than about four ounces of this one, but it's still enjoyable. I was pleasantly surprised that this was a fairly simple (well, as simple as an 18% raspberry beer can be) Dogfish Head offering...I was expecting something much more, off-center I guess, but that was not the case.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into a crystal mug the beer was a slightly hazy medium orange gold. A off white creamy head builds about one and a half finger high and dissipates relatively fast with leaving good lacing.
The smell is raspberry all the way, with some malt in the back.
Tasting the beer those flavors will arrive in the same order. The hops will mellow the sweetness of the raspberries slightly, but not enough. But it is a fruit beer, and therefore that is ok in my book. The alcohol is there, but well hidden for the high ABV of 18 percent.
I really liked this beer as for what it was designed for!

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Well, had this one at my girlfriend's house as a nightcap before I hit the road. NOT a good idea. Turns out this cheeky bastard is 18% ABV. Who knew? It's not printed on the bottle, and the intense raspberry flavoring covers it up enough to give me the benefit of the doubt. Shortly after I finished it I realized I wasn't going anywhere, and had to sit on my hands for a couple hours afterwards. Gee thanks, DFH.

As far as the beer itself goes, it's not my favorite style. The raspberry is a little bit on-the-nose/cloying. But the beer doesn't pose to be anything else. It embraces the fruit, pumps up the ABV, and offers a really unique taste. I think it's also impressive that this beer is more drinkable than both the 14% Sammichlaus and the 18% Mikkeller Black. Instead of pure sugar, though, Fort achieves this drinkability with fruit. Tons and tons of fruit. A daring beer that I would love to try again, be it on tap, cask, or just next year.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Drank on 09/09/09 at my wedding dinner... yes I took notes at my wedding dinner.

Bottled on 07/09/07 putting this at two years, two months old.

Poured a slightly burnt orange with a thin wisp of a head that dissipated pretty quickly. Some visible sediment, likely from the age, that did not really effect taste or mouthfeel.

Smell is strong alcohol along with a slight hint of raspberry and a bready malt. The fruit flavor is still strong with a nice balance breadyness in the background, however the alcohol is a bit overpowering still. It is a big beer but the taste was almost off-putting.

Body has not thinned out at all and is still a solid medium body. Easy to sip on beer that went well with my meal that night. Glad there were a few people around to share it with.

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery