1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

FortFort

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
View: Beers (137) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next › last »
Ratings: 925 | Reviews: 487 | Show All Ratings:
pastradul

4.58/5  rDev +24.8%

Big thanks to wchesak for this one.

Appearance is a burgundy brown, with a slight bit of head but not a lot.

The smell is almost ripe rasberries, just leaving tart and entering sweet.

the flavour is great. Not at all what i was expecting. Nothing like other rasberry beers where it tastes like melted sherbet. This is fir sure a strong ale made with fruit. I nice malt backbone supporting the rasberry flovour through out the whole taste.

Paired with a rasberry dark chocolate is amazing.

might need to get another bottle and age this one.

05-24-2010 15:11:09 | More by pastradul
MarvinSnyder

West Virginia

4.59/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A 1 pint/9.6 fl oz poured into a glass mug. Bottled in 2008 and cellared.

Appearance: Pours a clear pumpkin/ amber orange with a small white head that stays throughout. No real lacing.

Smell: Raspberries, raspberry tart, candy, and alcohol on the nose. Very malty. The raspberries bring both sweet and sour qualities.

Taste: Both sweet and sour in the taste. Nicely balanced. At 18% the alcohol is present in the taste and warms as it is consumed.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and somewhat sticky over the palate. A sweet beginning but finishes tart. Extremely Slight carbonation.

Overall: This is truly one of my favorite beers. A unique beer even for the style. I was actually lucky enough to meet Sam at the old Brickskeller in Washington DC and begged him not to stop brewing this awesome beer.

10-16-2013 19:58:34 | More by MarvinSnyder
beergurujr

4.6/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

first thing: i cannot believe that this is an 18% beer. way, way too well balanced. however, i'll go along with the listed ABV, for now anyway.

visual: hazy strawberry blonde. moderate head and carbonation.

aroma: raspberries. simple, but good.

foretaste: raspberry extract-like. interesting. i like it.

mouthfeel: medium to heavy.

midpalate: raspberry and hop; alcohol (assuming it is really 18% ABV) extremely well hidden. perhaps a huge hopping rate to make this so drinkable?

aftertaste: pretty much raspberry extract. dry.

you'd expect such an extreme beer to be way malty, way sweet. this isn't. kudos to DFH.

buzz is hitting me now, shortly after downing this one rather quickly. it may actually be 18% ABV as listed. but as i wrote, very, very well balanced, regardless of actual ABV. a winner!

12-30-2005 06:34:37 | More by beergurujr
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

4.6/5  rDev +25.3%

166 reviews as of this writing so I'll take a slightly different track this morning. I have wanted to try this for some time. For the record I am not a raspberry fan. I have heard good things about this beer and I finally got to trying it this weekend. It drinks amazingly well balanced and subtle. Both for the ABV and the raspberrys. Deceptively smooth and rich at the halfway point you know you've ventured into a very strong beer. I gave up at about 3/4ths recognizing if I drank anymore I'd be hurting seriously the next day instead of just tired.

I highly recommend trying this and splitting it with a friend. This beer truly redifines the boundaries of a fruit beer in a way I would never have considered.

08-20-2007 13:03:07 | More by barleywinebrewer
adamette

4.6/5  rDev +25.3%

My 750th review! Live Review. Poured from the 1 pint, 9.6 fl. oz. bottle that I purchased for $20.09 at Siciliano's in Grand Rapids, MI on or about 10 19 09 while on vacation there. "Bottled on" date of 07/09/07. Poured into my silver rimmed Stone Levitation Ale tulip like glass.

A Significant but brief light brown head that dissipated within a few minutes to a ring around the top of the beer. Body is a pleasing brown that is very dense, letting only a little light through around the edges in front of direct light, creating a nice glow of brown surrounded by bright orange. Beer from the bottom of the bottle (after I drank the first glass) was darker, more brown than the first pour. 4.0

S Sweet malt, raspberries and a kick of alcohol (not a surprise I suppose) which reminds me of many of the Belgian Strong Dark Ales that I have encountered, likely thanks to the sweet malt presence contained within. Of course, I really like this smell. 4.5

T Well, this is a potent beer with strong waves of (in order of how I experienced them)
1. alcohol
2. sweet malt goodness
3. a nice, real raspberry taste
4. lingering malt, yeast goodness with a return of alcohol burn
5. distant raspberry taste well after last sip...5 minutes or more...that is a welcomed touch
This is a wild ride of taste explosions in a beer that demands your attention. Exceptional taste. 5.0

M Absolutely huge feel with carbonation that only adds to the bigness of the beer. I tasted/rated 120 Minute IPA last night and its feel was actually too big but the huge mouthfeel of this beer is welcomed as it suits the other tastes better. 4.5

D The drinkability cannot be the highest due to the very high ABV (the highest in its style!) but I finished the bottle within 30 minutes and really enjoyed it. 4.0

Notes: Simply a great beer from Dogfish Head and my favorite among the Theoromba/Sahti/Pangea line of extreme beers from DFH. It would probably be best if this is shared among friends or even with some chocolate truffles or even chocolate covered strawberries. Bravo, bravo!

11-11-2009 04:51:48 | More by adamette
ZX6Chris

4.6/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Golden brown. Barely any head. Bubbles around the edge.

S-Sweet Unripened raspberries. Smells really nice.

T-Great raspberry flavor, of course the alcohol comes through, dry tart finish.

M-Medium body. Kind of like a raspberry liqueur but not too syrupy. Great carbonation

D-Slow easy drinker.

05-24-2010 02:54:20 | More by ZX6Chris
BirdFlu

4.73/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a red colour which is lighter on the edges.
The tate is very strong up front. Tangly and similar to DFH Olde School Barleywine. Theres a lot of really big flavor going on here. Lots of sweetness right after you swallow, which is when the raspberry seems more noticeable. A little bitter in the tonsil areas. Its similar to 120 minute or Olde School but with fruity sweetness and tang.
Mouth is very powerfully tangy and very carbonated. Its pretty thick and a bit syrupy.
Aroma is sweet and tangy, but develops as it opens up. More raspberry aroma becomes present later on, but it is still subdued. If it was any sweeter it would seem fake and inorganic.
Its a real sipping thing, like a wine. Def a bit boozey. It is a bit smooth relative to its high ABV, though. Almost reminds me of mountain dew or other fruity soda.

It really opens up in flavor and aroma, like wine does, as its been sitting open. So it gets better as you get further into it.

01-05-2009 19:06:56 | More by BirdFlu
DersOne

Wisconsin

4.74/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2005 vintage bottle poured into a DFH tulip glass and served at roughly 50°F

A-Pink grapefruit/ruby deep color, medium sized bubbles in head with minimal lacing, small effervescent bubbles from bottom of glass.

S-Sweet heavy malt and molasses, fading to sweet fruit, a bit of dark fruit on top of the main raspberry notes.

T-First impression is a raspberry hard candy with a bit of resiny molasses. Light booze given the ABV, slightly tart, small, enjoyable alcohol burn that fades slowly.

M-"Wet" mouthfeel, good effervescence with lingering tingle, coats the mouth well to let the flavors sink in, lasting character.

O-4.75/5 because this one was a bit carboardy due to its age and may have been just slightly past its prime. Maybe the 2006-2007 would have scored a 5, will seek out more for future sampling. An exemplary fruit beer.

11-25-2013 18:46:53 | More by DersOne
120minuteman

4.78/5  rDev +30.2%

2007 vintage:

Appearance: A dark rosy red, much like a cider
Smell: A basket of rasberries, salmonberries and a hint of pear
Taste: Covered a wide range of flavors, starting from sweet and ending in sour. This bottle is less fruity than a younger bottle that I've had, and has become far more complex over time.
Mouthfeel: Not much retention, but felt like a young scotch at times
Overal: I would highly recommend this beer, great as an after dinner drink with some friends. If you see if, pick up 2 bottles: one for now, the other for later (5-years later)

08-24-2012 14:09:15 | More by 120minuteman
Kakaraht

British Columbia (Canada)

4.83/5  rDev +31.6%

A: Pours a crisp rose color with a decent white head that goes quickly.

S: Insanely like raspberry, as if they are being crammed into my olfactory. Extremely sweet and a little essence of pale malt extract with a waft of alcohol.

T: Rich creamy and so much raspberry goodness it is almost overwhelming. It has so much raspberry depth, nothing like any other fruit beer I have ever had. It does not contain that fake sugary fruit essence, or a thin I can almost imagine it flavor. The alcohol is almost covered for such a strong beer, but as it warms it does start to creep up. The tartness of the raspberry's does get covered up by bozzyness as it warms too.

M:Thick, heavy, creamy, and it sticks making your tongue beg for more tart raspberry.

D: Extremely drinkable for an 18% brew, would be hard to drink more than one though.

01-18-2011 02:03:21 | More by Kakaraht
SWMeyer4141

4.83/5  rDev +31.6%

2008 Vintage

Split 4 ways, poured into a claret.

Appearance-A vibrant goldish color. Very hazy, can't see a damn thing through it. Little head, an off white one. You can just see the sticky beer clinging to the glass when swirling it.

Smell-Aroma was amazing. Just sweet ripe raspberries. It's boozy, but nothing like WWS or 120, and I was expecting a boozy mess. Only other aroma I get is a honey like sweetness, but boy this smells inviting.

Taste-Oustanding. Just can't believe how much this beer worked. Just a crazy amount of fresh raspberries in every sip. Upfront and towards the finish, and it didn't get old. Finish was on the dryer side that made me want to keep sipping. You can really feel the alcohol running through your veins, but not so much when consuming it. I drank this at about 45 degrees i'd guess, and when it warmed the booze definitely came out more, but so did a little more complexity. Sweet honey and a good amount of caramel and toffee notes came out too. Just oustanding all the way around.

Mouthfeel-Creamy, nice carbonation. Big mouthfeel, thick and chewy.

Overall-What else can I say. I really had to find the time to drink this. Obviously your not going to drink this all to yourself, although I probably could throughout a course of a day after trying it, and loving it. I honestly was expecting a sloppy mess even w/ the 3 years of age but it was just oustanding. Shocked by all the negative reviews on this one, I want more, and I'm already working on it. Amazing.

11-27-2011 15:41:27 | More by SWMeyer4141
scruffwhor

4.85/5  rDev +32.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle. Awesome artwork. Think I might get one of their shirts from the website.

Appearance- Pours a spritzy head with minor retention. Color reminded me of when T took a cherry Juicy Juice box and poured it into a glass. Color is a light rose and amber. With some consistant lacing.

Smell- An inspiring mix of alcohol, rasberries, hints of wheat, and sugary candy.

Taste- Starts out as rasberry juice that proceeds into a more sugary rasberry flavor. I found it amazing I could taste the FRESH, REAL rasberries in this beer. The rasberry flavor was not cloying at all. The suagry rasberry then mixed with the alcohol to give it some very comfortable warmth. The finish was a mix of fresh rasberries eaten straight from the basket, sugared rasberries, wheat, bananas, and of course alcohol.

Mouthfeel- Pretty good carbonation that enhanced the subdued sweetness of the rasberries, but helped to bring out the wheat used in this beer. Just spectacular.

I've had two bottles of this so far, this is a reveiew of my second bottle drank. The first was with my girlfriend (who is not a big beer drinker period, but she humored with this one) who thought it was stupendous. When I shared my second bottle with my friend, he thought it was a real treat. Further proof that he really enjoyed it, is that he drank a wine glass full over the course of 45 minutes. This is a rarity with my ber guzzling buddy. Who has drank a lot of my other craft beers a little quicker than I would've liked. But this beer seemed to grow on me more and moe with each sip from each bottle. Hands down, my favorite fruit beer thus far.

P.S. I have one bottle I'm gonna forget about for awhile and report on the results.

03-07-2006 04:35:48 | More by scruffwhor