Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into a crystal mug the beer was a slightly hazy medium orange gold. A off white creamy head builds about one and a half finger high and dissipates relatively fast with leaving good lacing.
The smell is raspberry all the way, with some malt in the back.
Tasting the beer those flavors will arrive in the same order. The hops will mellow the sweetness of the raspberries slightly, but not enough. But it is a fruit beer, and therefore that is ok in my book. The alcohol is there, but well hidden for the high ABV of 18 percent.
I really liked this beer as for what it was designed for!

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Well, had this one at my girlfriend's house as a nightcap before I hit the road. NOT a good idea. Turns out this cheeky bastard is 18% ABV. Who knew? It's not printed on the bottle, and the intense raspberry flavoring covers it up enough to give me the benefit of the doubt. Shortly after I finished it I realized I wasn't going anywhere, and had to sit on my hands for a couple hours afterwards. Gee thanks, DFH.

As far as the beer itself goes, it's not my favorite style. The raspberry is a little bit on-the-nose/cloying. But the beer doesn't pose to be anything else. It embraces the fruit, pumps up the ABV, and offers a really unique taste. I think it's also impressive that this beer is more drinkable than both the 14% Sammichlaus and the 18% Mikkeller Black. Instead of pure sugar, though, Fort achieves this drinkability with fruit. Tons and tons of fruit. A daring beer that I would love to try again, be it on tap, cask, or just next year.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Drank on 09/09/09 at my wedding dinner... yes I took notes at my wedding dinner.

Bottled on 07/09/07 putting this at two years, two months old.

Poured a slightly burnt orange with a thin wisp of a head that dissipated pretty quickly. Some visible sediment, likely from the age, that did not really effect taste or mouthfeel.

Smell is strong alcohol along with a slight hint of raspberry and a bready malt. The fruit flavor is still strong with a nice balance breadyness in the background, however the alcohol is a bit overpowering still. It is a big beer but the taste was almost off-putting.

Body has not thinned out at all and is still a solid medium body. Easy to sip on beer that went well with my meal that night. Glad there were a few people around to share it with.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Hmm? I have been searching for this for 4 months. When I finally found the 'holy grail' I have been searching for I paid $20 for one bottle. Hundreds of dollars/time hours later I EXPECTED to be freakin BLOWN AWAY! I was NOT! Does this mean I was disappointed? I don't know. I guess so. Maybe I was only disappointed because of all the hype this beer received as the 'strongest fruit beer in the world’. It was good but I am afraid it did not live up to all that hype.

The beer was an attractive color, but certainly more clear than I expected. It was quite coppery. A careful pour yielded a very small head. The smell was very yeasty. The taste was quite bready, a bit sour/tart, and definitely subtle raspberry. I was expecting more raspberry and less yeast. A bit of the 18% ABV shows through but remarkably little alcohol for the high ABV. So this is a pleasant drinkable beer but for the price and size of it... I was expecting quite a bit more. Bummer!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Bottled 11/13/06

Appearance - pours out a hazed red-tinted amber. A brief light tan head that forms and disappears like I'm pouring a soda. A slow bead of bubbles from underneath sustains the thinnest of collars.

Aroma - a fusel hit right after opening this baby. Huge barleywine-like malts, a decent dose of fruit but nothing major. Smells absolutely potent, that's for sure.

Taste - caramel, sticky sweet malts at the fore. Sweet raspberry, very sweet. Holy smokes, a serious alcohol breath on this, even after three+ years aging. Some biting fruit tartness on the swallow provides the only attempt at bitterness. The abv heat, fruit snap, and malt bigness make a flavor almost like ginger ale at times. So very warm down to the belly, this will be an all-night sipper.

Mouthfeel - low-level carbonation, a slick feel without too big a body. Nicely done.

Drinkability - never again solo, but certainly with help.

Bottled in 2008. I figured this was a good buy for 12.99

A- Color of a lighter version of bloody mary, bloody orange? Head disappears immediately, it is 18% so thats understandable.

S- Raspberries, fresh ones, sweet ones, candied raspberries, raspberry puree, everything raspberry you could think of, thats what this smells like. Yea, it smells good.

T- Raspberry, some dark chocolate notes, definitely alcohol which seems to work in tandem with the fruity raspberry theme, kinda like a raspberry liquor.

M- Light bodied, enough carbonation to make this tasty.

I picked it up for the unique factor I definitely wouldnt pick it up again, been there done that kind of attitude. I wouldnt dissuade someone from picking it up at the price point that I did which I think is pretty reasonable. If you see if for anything higher pass on it. And make sure it has some age on it I cant imagine how boozy this must be fresh.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Aged a year, and sampled with friends. Pours a pale golden color, head does not last long. Smells overwhelmingly of raspberries. I mean slams you over the head with raspberries. Tastes of boozy, bittersweet raspberry puree, and sweetened syrup. I get no hops and little malt or yeast. Even still, it does not taste bad. The drawback is its syrupy mouthfeel and combine that with the sweetness and 18% ABV makes this a connoisseurs beer.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Tried a while ago but recently had an aged version. The appearance is a yellow with a ruby tint with a lot of haze. The smell is full of raspberries to the point of being more of a lambic than anything else. The taste was similar although had some interesting notes with a cleaner finish than I would have guessed. The mouthfeel was a bit thick for me but overall I thought this was a well made beer for something so odd.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks to kbutler1 for sharing this one.

Bottled on 7/9/07

Poured into kbs chalice

Pours 1/4 finger of khaki colored head. Color is a burnt orange hued brown.

Aroma: Smells boozy with a ton of raspberry. I can actually smell every raspberry that they used in making this beer. Some caramel malt shows. Big flavor here.

Taste: Woah, this beer is huge. Tons of raspberry. Sweet and sugary. A massive amount of booze shows. Some yeast and malts are present. Maybe a layer of toffee.

Mouthfeel: Sweet and syrupy. Just a tad hot as well. Full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with a hot burn to it. So much booze showing.

Overall, this beer is a massive sipper. As I drank more of it, it got easier to drink. Whether or not this was a result of the alcohol is another question. The raspberries are delicious, but just so much alcohol comes through.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter. Beer was a strawberry red color, with a small, one-finger head. Light carbonation and no lacing around the glass.

Aroma was apple, raspberries, cereal grains and bread.

Taste was sweet raspberries, caramel, bread, wood and faint hops.

I'd like to try this beer with a little age on it. The alcohol is a slap in the face. Very boozy and almost overwhelming at first. Still, nice fruit flavor and syrupy mouthfeel.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Reddish amber and shockingly transparent. Leaves a bit of sediment. Ok lacing. On first glance, this looks weak.

S: Rasberries and alcohol. More of both as the beer warms.

T: This is the rasberry spritzer or cordial of the beer world. This is well advertised on the bottle, so I will count that as a good thing. There is a good malt backbone to this beer. A little earthy flavor is brought in by the yeast.

M: This is a liquer with bubbles. Sweet and syrupy without inducing the gag reflex.

D: This is a dessert beer that should be enjoyed with friends to close an evening. My review may seem negative (and may rate that way) but I would recommend this as a dessert beer. The alcohol feel is a bit high for me though, and that tends to skew the experience of a beer for me.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

A: orange/mild cloudy, finger white head,
nice lacing

S: big raspberry nose, boozy, vanilla, jam

T: huge raspberry, hint of cherry, mild malt,
vanilla, boozy/sticky/sour finish

M: med body, big sticky/pucker mouth

O: Interesting. Glad I tried it, don't
know if I would get again. BIG SiPPER!
Share with friends. Reminds me of
strawberry wine when I lived in the South.

GOOD, NOT MUST HAVE!

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours leaving only little head that leaves a small ring in the glass. Color is a mostly clear, rose-copper. Carbonation looks adequate throughout. The smell is faint, like semi-sweet raspberry and strong alcohol. Taste is a nice raspberry flavor that is quite subtle, not too sweet or too tart. Its a bit medicinal, and the alcohol feels strong, but not bad for 18%. Hop flavor is low, or at least dominated by other flavors. It's light bodied, with nice carbonation overall. A nice brew to share with friends, but being so strong I wouldn't recommend drinking alot of it by yourself. After a while it does get harder to drink so just have a small glass and enjoy this unique, strong brew...

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

18%?!? I had no idea. Good thing we split the bottle, I guess. A-and, really, this explains quite a bit about the rest of that awful night.

Pours a very pretty shade of amber that's a little limp. My handwritten score is a 3.5, but considering the elevated ABV the lack of effervescence is perfectly fine and this deserves a 4.

Smells like raspberry liqueur: big, sweet, candied raspberries along with some varied nodes of spice and honey. No alcohol nodes apparent whatsoever.

Tastes like it smells, only the honey sweetness gets a cloying near the back end. Overall it's pretty smooth, though, considering its giganticness.

Definitely worth trying, and you certainly get 15 bucks worth of drunk off of a 750ml bottle.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Huge bottle pours a chill hazed but radiant copper body with a small almond head that quickly falls to a pink fringed skim and collar. Aroma is subtle, odd considering the bottle is stamped with a bottling date just over a month ago. Raspberry jam notes are joined by model airplane glue to the nose. Odd, but really pleasant. Medium body with spritzy carbonation. Taste is sticky with big doughy maltiness, sweet/tart berries, and the pleasant taste of the model airplane glue you loved as a kid. Solvent-like is an understatement, but it works here for some reason. Finishes dry with a kiss of grapefruit that comes out of nowhere. Surprisingly drinkable for such an enormous fruit beer. Another oddball brew from DFH.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

(Served in a tall flute)

A- This beer has a light crystal clear coppery body with a red tint. The head is a creamy thick dense foam that last and last. The foam sticks to the glass and looks of a slight pink hue but that might be the reflection of the beer.

S- The smell of sweet fresh raspberries is strong and wonderful. There is a supporting aroma of slightly toasted malt and perhaps some green hops. As it warms there is a bit of a buttered cooked corn note with the hops.

T- There is a bold sweet raspberry flavor that finishes a bit dry. There is a big alcohol taste to finish but it compliments the fruit. I don't taste any big fusel alcohols so it is not very harsh. There are some green resin hop flavors in the finish that are "kicked up" by the fizz and alcohol. As this beer warms some notes of cooked corn start to come through in the flavor.

M- The mouthfeel is medium light with a fizz in the texture and some alcohol heat that finishes the beer. As this beer warms more of the fusel alcohols come through and really give it more of a kick.

D- I think this is a good but young beer. I never thought of aging an American fruit beer until today. This has some nice fruit but the alcohol makes the hops really stand up and demand attention. I like it better than Champagne but not as much than some framboise I have had before. I will have to find another bottle or two and rereview in several years. It's nice they print the bottled date on the glass itself.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750 at cellar temperature into a tulip glass. Been looking forward to tasting this one for awhile. Glad to have scored it at Gary's in Madison NJ.

A-Deep peachy amber with a white head that settles rapidly to nothingness. A pleasing looking brew that would be greatly enhanced by some foam on top.

S-Omigod! This smells more like industrial cleaner than something I want to put inside by body. Very chemical and solvent odors are wafting out of my tulip. Somewhere in the background is a fruitiness that I'm not sure I can place, but this is not pleasing. (This was my initial impression, which I am revising mid-review as I revisit the nose in the context of the taste...do not judge this book by its cover (or smell). I originally gave the nose a 1.5, but that would be unfair to this brew. The nose still does not do it justice.

T-What a surprise! This redeems in the taste in a big way. Sweet succulent red raspberry is delivered by strong warming alcohol in a velvet creaminess that is just lovely. Astringent hop and alcohol buzz on the back end and a finish that lasts forever. This is another offering that begs the question..."is this beer?" Don't know what it is, but I like it.

M-Well balanced medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

D-I'm lovin' it, but this is a big beer in a big bottle. Dudes at DFH, please put this in a 12 oz bottle like the 120!

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottled on 11/28/05. Had this fresh and wasn't thrilled. After the better part of 3 years it's time for a revisit.

Copper bodied with some salmon-pink glints. A fizzy white head sizzles up and down over the course of 10 seconds. Still, for a beer this big, the carbonation is impressive, as when I had it fresh two+ years ago, there was no head at all.
Raspberry is the main player on the nose, all sweet, seedy, and tart, backed with a big wet, doughy blanket of caramel pastries, and a bit of Eau de Vie -like alcohol bite.
It begins sweet, as any good 18% fruit beer should. Raspberry jam, honey (or Mead), heavy canning syrup. This is all propped against a somewhat less sweet caramel and dough support (though, that is sweet by all accounts as well). As it progresses, it drifts towards things more tart and the raspberry jam starts to mimic sparkling grape juice with it's slightly cloying and sticky sweet-tart interplay (and real-deal grapey flavors). Fruit brandy and port traits appear on the swallow with a fair amount of alcohol sting and dryness.
It's big gloopy, full bodied, but the carbonation fights through it all and manages to keep this from the cloying, teeth-sticking mess it could be (and I thought it was when I last had it a couple years ago).
Ultimately, this succeeds at exactly what it is. A gigantic raspberry beer. At this strength, it's gonna be a little heavyhanded. But this is semi-drinkable and enjoyable despite it all. Age treats this well, and I don't think I'd drink it fresh again. It is far from something I'd reach for often, but I might squirrel away a bottle or two long term for certain occasions.

Also, bottling this in 750mLs is lunacy. 12oz could be satisfyingly shared and seems a much preferable size.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: To be honest, I was really expecting this to be a deep shade of red. In fact, it's a hazy, deep reddish-pumpkin body with a decent off-white head that recedes rapidly and leaves only minimal lacing (with this level of alcohol, retention and lacing is virtually out of the question).

Aroma: Sweet, berry-like, boozy, and at times almost vinegary. Complex and unique - what on earth is this going to taste like?

Taste: Wow! Intense as hell! There is no question whatsoever that the alcohol content here is almost off the charts, it's in the forefront from the beginning to the end and almost spicy in its intensity. Once the booze-shock subsides, you find a lot of complexity underneath. There's lots of fruit, including berries, banana and pineapple. As for malt, the backbone is relatively light and basically stays the hell out of the way. The aftertaste is very boozy with some hints of berry.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slick, and nicely velvety. There's enough carbonation here to make it more drinkable than a liqueur. Lots of boozy burn for the tongue, the cheeks, and the throat. Dry as hell.

Drinkability: This one is going to take some time... I'd much prefer a regular 12 oz. bottle over this monster.

Verdict: This is a thoroughly unique beer - and because of this, it's hard to rate. Style is pretty much out the window here, so there's nothing much as far as guidelines go. Looks like we're in uncharted territory here folks... This big bastard of a beer tends to blur the lines between an ultra-strong beer and a weaker liqueur. It's mad as hell, but I like it. The only thing I can offer as far as a comparison goes is an Imperial Imperial Framboise. I can't wait to see how this ages.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Well in my neverending quest to empty out my closet and et to these hard to reach beers the beers that I have stored away for sometimes it may seem to be years, I have come across my latest discovery, Dogfish head's Fort. What can be said about a monstrously huge bottle of brew that simply says ale brewed with rasberry with no ABV or warning on it in regards to what may lie inside? Needless to say I was more then willing to dive in and see what this beer could be made of. I have to admit though, I was a bit intimidated, as word of mouth had told me this was a damn bigbeer that was gonna be hard to put down, we shall see....

Well upon the pour we have an extremely hazy amber. Slightly darker then your normal ale. Lots of visible carbonation was evident from the start, chains of bubbles rippling up from the bottom of the glass. Lots of haze, literally made this opaque. Tons of suspended particles as well, some of them quite large. This may have been due to the aged bottle, as it had a 11/05 brewed date on it. Nice one inch thick white head receeded rather quicky leaving behind a thin film on top of the glass and a nice amount of lace drooping down the sides. Biggest story here. by far had to be all the haziness and the suspended particles which it seemed clouded the view completly and gave it a very thick appearence.

The smell was strong, and very fruity. Large hint of rasberry was readily apparent from the start. I would have thought that the alcohol smell would have been stronger then what it was, however it was not that apparent. Don't get me wrong, this smelled alot like a strong wine, however it just did not smell overwhelminglt strong from the start. A very sugary aroma aroma was present as was a slight hint of grain in the back, overall very fruity smell.

The taste was well, bitter. This knocked my head back at the first sip. Insanely strong and fruity. Perhaps the strongest fruiteness I have ever tasted in a beer before. Incredible fresh rasberries in the flavor were evident right from the start. The one thing that shocked me however, was that I would have thought the alcohol presence would have been alot stronger then it was. It was noticeable but not 18% noticeable if you know what I mean, A slight hoppiness was present in the finsh, quite dry actually. Very smooth feel, great carbonation, led to that nice silky, bubbly light feeling. Overall the flavors were very very intense, and the fruit and hop flavors far overpowered the alcohol. This made the profile really jump out at you, and made what could have been overpoweringly hot with alcohol,. not only tolerable, but actually rather emjoyable as the session wore on.

Overall this was one of the more unique beers I have tried. Way way fruity and full of complex flavors, and over the top with the alcohol, to the point I probably should not have gone at this one alone. Somehow, someway they brewed this to be very drinkable. You gotta try this at least once for the novelty sake of it, though at 20 bucks its a bit of a far cry from pure novelty. Still this was really much better then I had expected and I would really recommend trying this.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Served from a 750ml. bottle into a snifter just under cellar temp. Bottled date is 11/13/2006

A - Poured a finger and a half light pinkish / off white head. The head settled down to a drinkable level very quick with some lasting lacing. Color is a clear reddish orange with a few specks of sediment.

S - Aromas of what else? Raspberries!! Light alcohol present but nowhere near what I expected out of 18%

T – Again what else raspberries!! Some bitterness present in the finish. Very sweet.

M – Texture is light and bubbly. What I would consider a clean finish, almost crisp.

D - I’m a big DFH fan. This isn’t one of my favorites though. I just had to give it a chance, too sweet for my pallet. Luck I split it with a couple of friend because I couldn’t have finished the bottle myself. Even though it wasn’t my favorite DFH I’d still recommend giving it a taste.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle poured into a large snifter. This was bottled way back in July 2007. I didn't realize it was quite this strong when I opened it... hopefully I'll be able to finish.

Smell is an intensely sweet mix of raspberries and honey. Taste is extremely sweet as well, but very intense as you would expect with something this strong. The raspberries are prevalent and definitely the dominant flavor here. The best comparison would be a very sweet and bubbly raspberry dessert wine. An unpleasant comparison is a fruity cough syrup. Overall, I think this is good and interesting but would've been easier to enjoy if it hadn't been quite this strong.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottled in '09, pours hazy golden brown, slight reddish tinge about it. No head here, whatsoever, though I did a slightly aggressive pour. Yield equals nothing. Overall, looks like a good brew, not what one would expect a fruit beer to look like.

Smell is huge fusel alcohol. Not much else, maybe a hint of raspberry scent, but mostly that big alcohol scent.

Taste is a bit of raspberry, a lot of alcohol, and a nice malt backbone follows up in the aftertaste.

Feel is super warm. Probably can be classified as hot. Warming like a shot of hard liquor. Good carbonation, nice and tingly, alive on the palate.

Average in the drinkability arena. Very heavy on the booze can lead to trouble. I'm polishing off this 750mL alone, and I hate to see what tomorrow brings.

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery