Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +24.5%

Big thanks to wchesak for this one.

Appearance is a burgundy brown, with a slight bit of head but not a lot.

The smell is almost ripe rasberries, just leaving tart and entering sweet.

the flavour is great. Not at all what i was expecting. Nothing like other rasberry beers where it tastes like melted sherbet. This is fir sure a strong ale made with fruit. I nice malt backbone supporting the rasberry flovour through out the whole taste.

Paired with a rasberry dark chocolate is amazing.

might need to get another bottle and age this one.

pastradul, May 24, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +24.5%

Hooooly crap... this beer is awesome.

So this is the first beer I've sampled that is more than 13% ABV... and I really thought I'd be far more disappointed than this....

Thankfully I was way off.

First of all, it was sort of what I expected strangely enough. I sort of imagined this "raspberry fruit beer" to be more like a sour/Flemish ale. And strangely enough, this beer reminds me very much of Rodenbach.

I think this brew is world class and only wish it could be more than just a fruit beer; I feel like it's more of a sour ale. It's deep, complex and exciting all at once. This is what all you Russian Imperial fanboys only wished Imperial Stouts could be.

Not that I don't love a good Russian Imperial. But this beer knocked my socks off. And maybe I haven't had enough great beers, but Rodenbach knocked my socks off too, but this beer knocked them off MORE.

Unfair to put this in a category as specialized as Rodenbach? Maybe... but who am I but a beer lover. I know what I like... this beer isn't sweet or overpowering. It's not comparable to anything else out here. It's 18% ABV of nearly unintentional beer bliss that goes down way smoother than it should and begs (literally BEGS) for another sip.

And that, to me, is what great beer is all about.

KFaulkner, May 24, 2008
4.59/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A 1 pint/9.6 fl oz poured into a glass mug. Bottled in 2008 and cellared.

Appearance: Pours a clear pumpkin/ amber orange with a small white head that stays throughout. No real lacing.

Smell: Raspberries, raspberry tart, candy, and alcohol on the nose. Very malty. The raspberries bring both sweet and sour qualities.

Taste: Both sweet and sour in the taste. Nicely balanced. At 18% the alcohol is present in the taste and warms as it is consumed.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and somewhat sticky over the palate. A sweet beginning but finishes tart. Extremely Slight carbonation.

Overall: This is truly one of my favorite beers. A unique beer even for the style. I was actually lucky enough to meet Sam at the old Brickskeller in Washington DC and begged him not to stop brewing this awesome beer.

MarvinSnyder, Oct 16, 2013
4.6/5  rDev +25%

166 reviews as of this writing so I'll take a slightly different track this morning. I have wanted to try this for some time. For the record I am not a raspberry fan. I have heard good things about this beer and I finally got to trying it this weekend. It drinks amazingly well balanced and subtle. Both for the ABV and the raspberrys. Deceptively smooth and rich at the halfway point you know you've ventured into a very strong beer. I gave up at about 3/4ths recognizing if I drank anymore I'd be hurting seriously the next day instead of just tired.

I highly recommend trying this and splitting it with a friend. This beer truly redifines the boundaries of a fruit beer in a way I would never have considered.

barleywinebrewer, Aug 20, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Golden brown. Barely any head. Bubbles around the edge.

S-Sweet Unripened raspberries. Smells really nice.

T-Great raspberry flavor, of course the alcohol comes through, dry tart finish.

M-Medium body. Kind of like a raspberry liqueur but not too syrupy. Great carbonation

D-Slow easy drinker.

ZX6Chris, May 24, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

first thing: i cannot believe that this is an 18% beer. way, way too well balanced. however, i'll go along with the listed ABV, for now anyway.

visual: hazy strawberry blonde. moderate head and carbonation.

aroma: raspberries. simple, but good.

foretaste: raspberry extract-like. interesting. i like it.

mouthfeel: medium to heavy.

midpalate: raspberry and hop; alcohol (assuming it is really 18% ABV) extremely well hidden. perhaps a huge hopping rate to make this so drinkable?

aftertaste: pretty much raspberry extract. dry.

you'd expect such an extreme beer to be way malty, way sweet. this isn't. kudos to DFH.

buzz is hitting me now, shortly after downing this one rather quickly. it may actually be 18% ABV as listed. but as i wrote, very, very well balanced, regardless of actual ABV. a winner!

beergurujr, Dec 30, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +25%

My 750th review! Live Review. Poured from the 1 pint, 9.6 fl. oz. bottle that I purchased for $20.09 at Siciliano's in Grand Rapids, MI on or about 10 19 09 while on vacation there. "Bottled on" date of 07/09/07. Poured into my silver rimmed Stone Levitation Ale tulip like glass.

A Significant but brief light brown head that dissipated within a few minutes to a ring around the top of the beer. Body is a pleasing brown that is very dense, letting only a little light through around the edges in front of direct light, creating a nice glow of brown surrounded by bright orange. Beer from the bottom of the bottle (after I drank the first glass) was darker, more brown than the first pour. 4.0

S Sweet malt, raspberries and a kick of alcohol (not a surprise I suppose) which reminds me of many of the Belgian Strong Dark Ales that I have encountered, likely thanks to the sweet malt presence contained within. Of course, I really like this smell. 4.5

T Well, this is a potent beer with strong waves of (in order of how I experienced them)
1. alcohol
2. sweet malt goodness
3. a nice, real raspberry taste
4. lingering malt, yeast goodness with a return of alcohol burn
5. distant raspberry taste well after last sip...5 minutes or more...that is a welcomed touch
This is a wild ride of taste explosions in a beer that demands your attention. Exceptional taste. 5.0

M Absolutely huge feel with carbonation that only adds to the bigness of the beer. I tasted/rated 120 Minute IPA last night and its feel was actually too big but the huge mouthfeel of this beer is welcomed as it suits the other tastes better. 4.5

D The drinkability cannot be the highest due to the very high ABV (the highest in its style!) but I finished the bottle within 30 minutes and really enjoyed it. 4.0

Notes: Simply a great beer from Dogfish Head and my favorite among the Theoromba/Sahti/Pangea line of extreme beers from DFH. It would probably be best if this is shared among friends or even with some chocolate truffles or even chocolate covered strawberries. Bravo, bravo!

adamette, Nov 11, 2009
4.73/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a red colour which is lighter on the edges.
The tate is very strong up front. Tangly and similar to DFH Olde School Barleywine. Theres a lot of really big flavor going on here. Lots of sweetness right after you swallow, which is when the raspberry seems more noticeable. A little bitter in the tonsil areas. Its similar to 120 minute or Olde School but with fruity sweetness and tang.
Mouth is very powerfully tangy and very carbonated. Its pretty thick and a bit syrupy.
Aroma is sweet and tangy, but develops as it opens up. More raspberry aroma becomes present later on, but it is still subdued. If it was any sweeter it would seem fake and inorganic.
Its a real sipping thing, like a wine. Def a bit boozey. It is a bit smooth relative to its high ABV, though. Almost reminds me of mountain dew or other fruity soda.

It really opens up in flavor and aroma, like wine does, as its been sitting open. So it gets better as you get further into it.

BirdFlu, Jan 05, 2009
4.74/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2005 vintage bottle poured into a DFH tulip glass and served at roughly 50°F

A-Pink grapefruit/ruby deep color, medium sized bubbles in head with minimal lacing, small effervescent bubbles from bottom of glass.

S-Sweet heavy malt and molasses, fading to sweet fruit, a bit of dark fruit on top of the main raspberry notes.

T-First impression is a raspberry hard candy with a bit of resiny molasses. Light booze given the ABV, slightly tart, small, enjoyable alcohol burn that fades slowly.

M-"Wet" mouthfeel, good effervescence with lingering tingle, coats the mouth well to let the flavors sink in, lasting character.

O-4.75/5 because this one was a bit carboardy due to its age and may have been just slightly past its prime. Maybe the 2006-2007 would have scored a 5, will seek out more for future sampling. An exemplary fruit beer.

DersOne, Nov 25, 2013