Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

750ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a slightly hazy amber. Has some initial head which is suprising for the high abv. Leaves some lace.

Smell pops you in the face! Tart raspberries and sweet fruit as well. Some noticable alcohol and a hint of brown sugar.

Taste is good. Of course raspberries, but not overwhelming. Heat and fruit are intertwined in a dance to the death.

Overall, an interesting beer. If you like fruit and monster abv then you will love this beer. This is the brew that exemplifies the "Extreme Beer" movement.

serving: bottle served in a snifter

appearance: A reddish-orange hue

smell: A really strong scent of raspberries

taste: Tart Raspberries

mouthfeel: Full mouthfeel

drinkability: A great after dinner beer with a rich dessert such as cheesecake or rich chocolate.

Reminds me of Celis Raspberry back in the day before they were bought out.

3.18/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle poured into Reidel port glass.

A = Cloudy reddish, orange, frothy but no real head. Steady carbonation and coats the glass when swirled.

S = Fruity sweet highlights with an underlying tang of gingerale or some other sweet sprightly smell.

T = Frankly the taste is the biggest drawback of this drink. Although it enters the mouth sweetly as soon as it hits the back of the mounth there is an acerbic quality, then flowing back to the midtongue is a violent herbal medicine taste followed by a serious alcohol kick. It may get better with age, but I doubt it.

M - Medium body, good mouth coating, nice level of frothy, tickling carbonation.

D = Everyone should try this beer, but I think it is best drunk as a dessert beer after a big dinner and with a fruity but rich dessert, maybe a strawberry cheesecake.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured into a chalice glass, this is a very murky beer. It is slow to develop a head, and that dissipates quickly after it forms. Strong, sweet raspberry aroma, to the exclusion of anything else. Very heady beer, strongly alcoholic from the start. Raspberries in abundance, and generally sweet, but fortunately not cloying. Dogfish Head does have a lot of skill at making a reasonably drinkable extreme-alcohol beer, I admit. But this one is fairly one-dimensional compared to something like their Raison d'Extra. Interesting concept, but not that interesting of a beer.

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a unique orange and golden color. A strange, but alluring shimmer to this beer. It almost seems to change color as you move the glass. Looks like it might glow in the dark. Little head and no lacing, but I wasn't expecting much to begin with.

Rasberries up front, really strong, sort of like a rasberry flavored cough syrup (alcohol). Not unappealing though. Some hints of spices. A little vanilla maybe. Actually a little disappointing. I expected more.

Good stuff. Fruity, but not too fruity. Strangely well balanced mix of flavors. Very smooth, almost sticky feeling in the throat. Warming. Tasty and unusual...

...but still pretty hard to drink at times. That cough syrup character sticks throughout. It's not bad, but it makes it harder to keep picking up the glass. Add in the 18% ABV and the $20/bottle price tag and you pretty much have to call this a great one-time beer experience.

2.48/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured into snifter from the tap at Dogfish Head brewpub in Rehoboth.

A: Amber color with a pinkish hazy hue to it. Bubbly carbonation, champagne like at first and minimal amounts of lacing on the pour.

S: Raspberry and fruit sweetness and then a bit more sweetmess and raspberries. This does not smell like a beer at all, and alcohol really not evident yet..

T: Here comes more of the raspberries, and the sweetness- and the alcohol does make its presence felt. Did not enjoy this one too much, far prefer the other DFH big beers but this is more of a hard mixer, not pleasurable to me.

M: Champagne like fizz matching the taset. There is a cloying sweetness and it is matched by the alcohol remaining in the back of the palate.

D: Not very drinkable based on the sweetness overbearingness and the high levels of alchohol. Would strongly prefer DFH other high price, high alcohol offerings by far (WW, 120, and others)

This is one of those beers that leaves you wondering afterward if it really is a beer? Not such a good thing to me but interesting. I could see it being a good drink with a dessert or as a sipper. It really takes something special foodwise to cut through the sweetness of this thing.

3.33/5  rDev -9.5%

Bottled November 2005, Sampled December 2007
Another beer that has been sitting ominously in the back of my fridge since I bought a bottle in its first 750ml release. The beer pours with a frothy, though thin, pale, off-white colored head. The beer is absolutely, stunningly, brilliantly clear and is a pink hued, deep golden color. The aroma smells strongly of raspberry cough-syrup, with just a faint wisp of rotten raspberry pulp. The raspberry notes are fairly complex, with a full fleshy, skin-like and even woody seed character to it. Having said all that, it is pretty one-dimensionally raspberry driven.

Not nearly as sticky and sweet as I was expecting, it is even somewhat light. The beer is sweet though, but not cloying and it has a clean raspberry flavor to it that is not nearly as syrup-like as I expected. Clean notes of raspberry pulp, mix with a touch of oxidized, sherry like, malt and only a hint of warming alcohol in the finish. The beer is fairly carbonated, which helps to lighten thing up a bit as well. Raspberry notes dominate the flavor profile, with just a hint of aged and caramelized malt character noticeable.

That slightly rancid aromatic note seems to pick up a bit with time, though it never really becomes entirely off-putting. This beer is not nearly as bad as I was expecting (I was expecting something more cloying and syrup-like), but it is not all that great either. Worth trying, but I just can't seem to get into these super high gravity beers. I wonder if an unfiltered version of these beers would be more complex tasting, cause that is really my main complaint. These come off tasting so clean as to be down-right simplistic in character.

2.17/5  rDev -41%

This is some pricey stuff. The wife and I considered it a special occasion bottle and took it over to some friends house to share over dinner.
I gotta say that the label, designed by Tara McPherson, has the cutest cartoon female I think I've ever seen. Well, her and the Esurance one. The drink itself looks nice too. At first pour it reminds me a bit like apple cider but given a minute in the glass it takes on a summer at dusk orange look. You can smell the alcohol in it. No doubt about that. The raspberry scent raps itself around it. Very interesting. We adjusted our tastebuds accordingly, clinked our glasses and took a sip. Then we all looked at each other.
"Ugh! Cough medicine" was everyone's first reaction. Follow up tastes didn't change much from that. I don't know if that was DFH's intention or if they need to experiment more with the idea. From start to finish it very medicinal and drying. Ethanol was mentioned more than once. The raspberry taste seems it more of the seed than the fruit and any sweetness that comes from it is hanging on heavy and thick to the alcohol making the whole damn thing unpleasant. All of us there are Dogfish Head fans. We wanted to get around the idea of Fort expecting something a bit juicy and sweet and knew we'd be getting a bit more kick but couldn't get into it. Especially at 18 bucks for a 750 mil bottle.

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

poured the color of a dried apricot with a fizzy head that disappeared about a quickly as it formed.

Raspberries noticable but nowhere near as sweet or fruit forward as I had imagined. for some reason I thought there was going to be a raspberry puree vibe to the nose. That said it's still a nice nose.

Taste is pretty monochromatic. Obviously raspberry, but it tastes like raspberry flavor dumped into a barley wine. Not all I had hoped for but not awful.

A bit slick in the mouth, thinish body with a dry finish.

Woah watch out for this one ,it'll put you down quick if you're not careful

3.9/5  rDev +6%

hazy redish pink grapefruity with a fizzy white head that dissipates pretty quickly and leaves a little lace. can't knock this one too much though for appearance because of the super high abv. smells of sweet sweet real raspberry, sugar and sweet malt with some booze. quite pleasant if you ask me. taste is truly unique, and far from a lambic. boozy finish, but not too bad. hard to drink too much of this, but quite a nice dessert beer. went really well with ice cream.

4.28/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a clear reddish orange with a small layer of off white foam and a thick crown. Nice fresh raspberry aroma, citrus zest, some alcohol ester but not like expected, and a bit caramel malt in the back. Hot alcohol off the bat but does calm down after of few sips. Fresh raspberries again that’s balanced with tart citrus and a straw, wheat character keeps the fruit from going overboard. Characters of buttery malt, diacetyl, hints of vanilla, and sweetness that’s between saccharin and honey. Mouthfeel is rather pleasurable, full with a near silkiness and good creaminess with the carbonation standing up to the 18 abv. This beer exceeded expectations in many ways, and ended up being dangerously drinkable.

4.22/5  rDev +14.7%

Enjoyed on-tap at the Dogfish Brewpub in Rehoboth Beach.
Served in a snifter as an apricot colored beer with scant head.
Smell is very fruity with very strong berry notes.
Taste is of berries without being too sweet. It really is a great taste and the alcohol only slowly arises as the beer warms.
Leaves a nice berry taste in the mouth without the sweetness that you would expect.
As drinkable, almost too drinkable, as you can get for an 18% beer. I was surely aware of it the next morning.
My wife an I toured the brewery the next day and picked up a bottle for New Years Eve. I will see how that compares to the on-tap version.

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

Extremely cloudy, almost as if yeast was stirred into it. No light shines through. The color is burnt orange. Decent head, but very little lace.

Sweet, but slightly plastic; muffled sour cherry aroma.

This is an extreme beer: Powerful alcoholic warmth, particularly in the swallow. Strong sour cherry flavor up front. The body is very rich and the carbonation is notably muted. Interestingly, I taste no yeast.

Such a powerful beer in such a large bottle, I wonder if I can finish it. In many ways its like drinking a port or other fortified liquor. This deserves to be served from a smaller vessel. Or you could share this one with six friends.

4.47/5  rDev +21.5%

A - It's a thick creamy gold color. Thick can't see through it at all. Very heavy appearance.
S - Pure raspberries. No doubt about it. It hits you as soon as its in front of you. I was excited just by the smell of this beer.
T - Amazing. Delicious. I was blown away that it could be that high in alcohol and taste so good. There is so much fresh raspberry taste that it is hard to call it beer.
M - Pretty nice. Very nice sipping beer in the winter. Not much of a summer beer. Heavy on the palate and the tongue.
D - Average, I couldn't have more than one or two of these beers. It is heavy and stays on the palate for a while. Can't wait to have some more but couldn't see drinking much of it in the summer.

Dogfish always blows me away with their beers.

3.03/5  rDev -17.7%

A bottle that's been in my cellar for at least a year, probably more like 2. Split this with the wife, and holy cats....wish we had more people here to share it with us. Awesome nose....I could sit here and just sniff it...

Color is nice, I expected a darker color for some odd reason, but the color is perfect too.

I really like this as a sipper, but it would have been fantastic as a lower ABV brew for more anytime drinking. Very drinkable for 18%, but like I said, I'd like something with a little less kick.

Nice beer, worth a try, but not something I'd probably purchase again. I'm glad I've held onto it.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

This beer pours a bright orange color. It kind of looks like an orange soda when held up to the light. It sports a thin off white head that fades quickly, leaving sparce laces.

This beer smells mildly of sweet, tart raspberries. It has a strong malty aroma as well. The massive alcohol content is quite present in the nose.

This beer tastes like it smells. A mild sweet and tart raspberry flavor upfront, with a massive malty sweet backbone. The high alcohol content is very present in the flavor.

This very full bodied beer leaves a malty raspberry aftertaste. The alcohol warms the throat as it goes down. It is carbonated just fine.

I doubt this beer would make a good session beer. It is over the top in alcohol content. It is a very aggressive beer. I split a bottle with my wife, and I am having trouble drinking my half.

Overall: Bottled on 11/13/06. Thanks to ggaughan for giving me the chance to include this beer on my Thanksgiving. I doubt I will ever seak this one out again, but it was definately good to try it. Too over the top and alcoholic.

4.33/5  rDev +17.7%

750ml bottled on 1/13/06

Whoa! I had heard and read about this beer before and thought I had nailed down what to expect from it...fortunately, I was wrong.

Pours a hazy red color with slight orange accents coming through. It has a nice head at first but it quickly resides leaving no lace (due to the high abv). The smells is wayyy more pungent that I had expected...smells intensely of raspberries - almost like a jar of raspberry jam...nevertheless, wonderful!

The taste is amazing...obviously raspberries...but other sweet, tart fruits appear as well; orange, lemon and cherries. Malt and yeast flavors appear towards the finish. Hardly any notice of the high ABV. There are no hidden flavors here.

The mix of Fort's full body and light carbonation make a great combination.

Overall great beer...highly recommend giving it some time to age.

First, I bought this for my wife and her friend, neither like beer. They did not like this one, so I was left drinking this 750 ml bottle by lonesome. So, my handwriting is a little hard to read, I don't no why, maybe 18%. Anyway it is poured inot an oversized wine glass, a ruby red color. There is touches of amber along the sides of the glass. A head forms thinly on top and is is a pale pink color. The sweet scent of malt comes out at first, then followed by the fruity aroma of rasberries; there is a little twinge of alchol in there, but not too off setting. The malt is striking as the first flavor one tastes, your expecting more of a twang, like a lambic. The malt flows to the tartness of the rasberries, there also might be the slightest bit of hoppy bitterness at the end. A very dry finish, the rasberry tartness does linger on the palate, but the tingling of the carbonation blends it out of the way. Truely a unique beer, this a definite beer to have wine people to try, plus an excellent pairing with maybe a chocolate tort.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Opened this to celebrate my birthday with 3 very special friends. Yeah, it was 2 am and we were already in high spirits. But even we could recognize that this "beer" is the holy grail of raspberry beverages. My notes have the following writ large:

Fort. What is? Raspberry. Sweet. Booze.

And that really sums it up. But for those wanting more, here ya go.

Fort is: Orange-red. Not quite clear. I think I saw little bits of raspberry seed in the beer. Wouldn't put it past 'em.

Fort is: A massive blow to the nose of fresh raspberry syrup and tons of alcohol. Take 3 pounds of raspberries, puree 'em, add a pound of sugar, a handle of vodka, reduce in a pan and you'd have something that *might* smell like what Dogfish has done with their Fort. Then again it could be horrible.

Fort is: A sugary sweet fruit bomb. Tart, but alcoholic in the extreme. Tough to drink much of. Approach it as a fruit liqueur like Chambord and you'll do alright.

Fort is: An absurdly over the top fruit beer experience. I don't use the word experience lightly. You simply must try this beer on a special occasion. A cool early morning on a porch overlooking the mountains in North Carolina worked for us, but you have to find your own inspiration.

*** October 2009 edit***

Had a 3 year vertical in the same mountains again recently. 06, 07, 08. The consensus is that Fort DOES mellow out nicely with age - the 06 and 07 were quite similar, but the eldest had less booze heat (still quite a bit) and was much more approachable. Would score the 2006 vintage a solid 4.0 as of October 09. I'd recommend aging it for at least a year unless you like your fruit beers excessively boozy. I'm not sure what it says about us that we drank 3 Forts in one weekend... I hope good things!

4.18/5  rDev +13.6%

Plenty of mixed reviews on this one. Mine is a two year old sample, bottled on 11/28/05...
Appears an orange toned amber with a 2 finger, foamy, white head that quickly fades into a mild cap and collar. At first pour, there are a few floaters in there. Upon closer inspection, they are a few stray pieces of seperated raspberry puree complete with seeds.
Smell is remarkable and addictive from the first inhale. Notes of ripe raspberries, and freshly baked rhubarb pie with strawberries. Very intriguing and delightful.
Taste is that of an after dinner cordial that's been infused with ripe raspberries, caramelized sugar, and freshly cut strawberries.
Mouthfeel...I was expecting an over the top alcohol bomb judging by other reviews but I found this to be just the right amount of warmness to compliment the sweetness. I could compare this to some of the better Tawny Ports I've had. Save it, sit on it for a few years, drink it on a special occasion after dinner with some chocolate truffells, or creme brulee.

2.17/5  rDev -41%

750 ml bottle that was made on November 13, 2006, purchased at Liquid Solutions for a very expensive $17.55

I will start off by saying I opened this last night when a bunch of friends came over, but then nobody wanted any, so I was stuck drinking this whole thing by myself and it pretty much knocked me out, strongest beer I have I believe, wow!

Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter with a pinkish brown color, pretty funky looking with a pretty large foamy head that settled pretty quickly, left some lacing but not much

Smell was pure raspberries and surprisingly reminded me of a fruity soda with the amount of carbonation and the small bubbles rushing to the top, impressive for a beer that was capped, not corked

Taste was a little rough for me, almost like a berry blended barleywine, nothing like any fruit beer I have ever had and had a lot more hops than I thought it would especially after a year, but was pretty bitter, aftertaste was a little nasty and it just kept kicking, can really taste the high alcohol in this one, beer at first and then quickly turns into a champagne like aftertaste with not much raspberry oddly, wish it had more of a fruit taste

Could not drink another sip of this, but I did finish the entire bottle and that is part of the reason why I was not in the shape to write this review last night, too strong for one person

Cool to try because it is the strongest fruit beer in the world, but it is extremely pricey and pretty hard to find, I do not know if I could recommend this beer, but if you are curious like I was, you need to give it a try

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

This beer has a decent head and retention for a beer that is so high in alcohol. It's nose is strongly of rasberries with some subtle malts coming through.

This beer is very sweet. I didn't find it overly boozy for 18% alcohol. It was just a beer on steroids. A fault of it is that it is very sweet. A fuckload of sugar had to have been added to make this 18 %

Still a decent brew. I enjoyed it.

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

Pours out a rose colour with minal head and some lacing. Nose- raspberry jam and honey. Taste- yeesh- hot boozy sweet raspberries. Fuck, that's not good for business. Its just too damn sweet. Its the same sweetness I've not enjoyed in some other DFH offerings. The raspberries are nice enough, but the its just too hot and sickly sweet. Not enjoyable whatsoever. Why did I crack this one by myself? Better yet, why didn't I buy two bottles of raspberry tart that were in eye sight of this abomination??? Not a happy drinking experience. I think if this had been toned down a tad it would have turned out better. good for DFH to experiment, just don't bottle it and charge me almost $20 for it!

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

I purchased this 750 ml bottle from Capone's in Norristown, Pa. I poured it into a "water glass." The bottled on date was 11.13.07.
Appearance: A almost purple body, with a decent head that faded fast. The retention was pretty good, considering. Very highly carbonated and the head was kind of off white.
Smell: Very boozy aroma, but as it warms, the raspberries came out in full force.
Taste: Very identical to the aroma with a bit more colexity. Considering such a strong alcohol aroma, it wasn't all that off putting. The best part was the after taste of raspberries.
Mouthfeel: Nothing really stuck out.
Drinkability: It was pretty good, but I wish they would bottle it in smaller bottles.
Don't drink and review.

4.38/5  rDev +19%

Pours a two finger white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Cloudy amber/red color. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Raspberry nose. Flavor is raspberry pie with alcohol, sweetish, alcohol finish. Another decent beer from DFH. Bottled Nov 13, 2006. Pricey at $16.00 for a 25.6oz bottle from Tully's Beer and Wine Wells, ME.

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery