Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from 750ml bottle into a red wine glass. Bottled on date 11/13/06

Appearance: Dark red/amber. Pours a 1 inch thick fluffy white head. Very, very murky in color.

Smell: what do you know! Raspberries!!! Smells is of very sweet raspberry and alcohol.

Taste: RASPBERRY! is the first thing you taste and taste all the way through, hop flavor isnt very noticable. Certainly extremely high malt and sweetness come through and leaves a very noticable taste of alcohol when swallowed.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and sweet almost like cough syrup. The alcohol is certainly there and dries out the mouth and makes you salivate.

Overall: Certainly a very unique beverage that pushes the envelope and even expands the definition of what beer is. Extremely high a/c makes this one a slow sipper to be shared amongst friends and to discuss the different feelings that are had about it.

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours from the 750ml bottle (awesome artwork I might add) into my glass a clear light orange/red tone, a bit lighter than I was expecting, not much head to speak of but at 18% abv that's to be expected. Aromas start with pureed raspberries and some light graininess. Quite fruity with a touch of alcohol in the background. Maybe a touch of vanilla as well with a light hop buried within.

First sip brings a mix of natural raspberry puree and a bit of wheat graininess. Mixed fruit flavors meld in as well with a touch of vanilla. Lightly sweet but very well balanced overall. Flows down with a touch of hops on the finish and a light alcohol burn. This one ends up hiding the alcohol quite well compared to a few other high abv DFH brews I've tried. A damn tasty fruit beer overall.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the lighter side and is quite smooth as well. Nice steady carbonation. Fairly easy to drink for such a huge brew. It will definetly catch up with you after a bit. A good one to split for sure and my girlfriend even likes it too. One of the best high abv Dogfish head brews I have sampled. I'll be looking for another bottle again soon...this is a tasty treat.

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a clear garnet with a small, quickly falling white head. Viniferous, sweet aroma. Taste is a smooth, ruby port with a hint of bitterness, and a sweet, tangy finish. Light, creamy mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

This is great as a dessert drink; awesome with cheese, panna cotta, etc. Hides its strength well.

2.45/5  rDev -33.4%

Very hazy. Thin light tan head dissipates very quickly. Thin lacing is left behind.

Smells of Raspberry Tea.

Very strange. Yes I taste the raspberries, but ith has a strange ketchup like flavor to it. This is so sour, it makes my tounge curl a bit.

This is a strange brew to me. I can't give it too a negative review based on my inexperience. Give it a try.

I still love you DFH brewery.

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a 750ml brown bottle at home. Cool artwork on the front.

A: Deep amber, ruby coloring. Thin head that disappears pretty quickly.
S: Lots of fruity raspberry, sharp alcohol, and sweet malt.
T: The raspberry hits the palate first, very sweet, but not overly tart or sour. Followed by the huge ABV. Finishes with a small hop dryness. The flavor is good – the alcohol makes it a little tough.
M: Thick, syrupy, mouth-coating. Not a whole lot of carbonation.
D: Again, difficult with such a high level of alcohol.

I’d love to age this beer for a year or two. I think the alcohol would probably subside a little and mellow with the raspberry. I respect the style and what they’re going for – just not really my thing.

4.15/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

1 pint 9 0z. bottle split with jramey2

A: Pours a bright reddish brown, can't see through it. Not much head.

S: Smells like sour raspberries.Think I detect a bit of yeast in the smell as well.

T. Tastes like raspberries and alcohol. Not sour like in the smell, a bit sweet, rather The high ABV doesn't mask it's presence so well likein the Raison D'Extra.

M:Medium body, more carbonation than I expected.

D: About a drinkable as a 18% ABV beer can be.

The world's strongest fruit beer is another good offering from Dogfish Head.

2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

A 750ml bottle, with bottled on 11/13/06 stamped on the bottle. Poured into a tulip glass, it's a beautiful beer: red/orange color, a thin head. Obvious raspberry aroma. The difficulty arose with the taste. Raspberry definitely there, but also a pronounced alcohol taste. Very harsh. The label says "should age with the best of 'em". I'll buy a couple more bottles and try that, because this isn't a drinkable beer in it's present state.

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This is actually my second tasting. Both bottled on 11/13/06. 1st purchased from Total Wine and sampled 12/23/06. 2nd from Wine & Beer Westpark and sampled 1/27/07. Both times poured in to a wine glass.

A- amber red-orange, thin white head, little lacing.

S- raspberry of course, alcohol, sweet malt.

T- sweet raspberry, hot alcohol on my first tasting, not as hot one month later. fruity, sweet malt, honey.

M- thin to medium body, good carbonation.

D- This beer needs to age. Scores would have been higher with age imo. Not syruppy for it's sweetness. The alcohol was too hot on my first tasting, making it tought to drink. On my second tasting, the alcohol was toned down a bit, making it more enjoyable after only 1mos time. No too much raspberry flavor. No tartness like a framboise. This would be a good aperitif or sub for dessert wine. I'm putting a third bottle aside for another year or so. It should be great by then.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

This was served from a 750ml bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter. It was bottled on 11/13/06 and consumed on 1/24/06. It pours a beautiful red color with a very thin off white head that dies quickly. It smells more like wine than beer actually. Behind the strong winey smell is a slight raspberry aroma. I forgot while I was first drinking it that it is 18% alcohol, but in retrospect that explains the taste well. It reminds me of port wine, but is less sweet and slightly hotter. The raspberry flavor is only present in the background. This is a very light bodied beer. I'm not sure whether I like this beer or not. I suppose for 18% ABV, the hotness is to be expected in such a light beer, but it does make it slightly hard to drink. The flavor behind the hotness is good though, and if you're looking to get drunk, this will work. I have a second bottle that I am going to let age for at least a year and try it again. I expect that some of the hotness will be gone by then.

4.45/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

One bottle shared among friends: this review is from notes.

This bottle was brewed in 2005.

A-Light amber with a slight dark purple and ruby tint. 1/4 inch head with big white rings of lace.
S-Big sweet malts, ripe red fruit (raspberry of course)...light alcohol, fruity yeast, and this beer really opens up as it warms.
T- Sweet raspberry balanced by alcoholic bitterness...light floral hops, and light raspberry and light alcohol in the finish .
M/D- Delicious and well balances. Strong and thick...not overly sweet....medium bodied, bubbly and very complex....a bottle I would definitely purchase again even at the $19 dollar price tag.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

Purchased in February 2006 and aged for 11 months.

This beer poured out a slightly hazy light amber, with a fast, loud fizzy head. It died away to nothing rather quickly... not surprising given the ABV.

The aroma was of strong sweet raspberries, and not much else. Although the aroma was potent, I could not detect any alcohol.

The taste started out slightly bitter, followed by a quick burst of raspberry flavor, followed by medium bodied malts and fizziness. The aftertaste was sweet. Although I was going to be drinking the whole bottle, apart from about 3 ounces, by myself, I decided that I would give my all to the experience. So I took a full mouthful swallow, to see if any more nuances would come out. And they did... much more raspberry flavor along the back of the tongue on the swallow.

Mouthfeel was full, but a little cloying.

Drinkability... only average. The strength of this beer keeps it from being an easy drinking beer.

1pint, 9.6oz brown bottle from Ron's in Farmington. Slightly murky yet translucent red-orange body with less than an inch of off-white head. Smells fruity, like berries, though not necessarily as raspberry-like as one might expect. Tastes berry-like with just a little alcohol warming on the finish. While it's medium bodied and definitely a sipper, it's not a syruppy or overwealming as I expected. Very drinkable considering the alcohol strength. Not bad. Not something I'd get all the time, but well-done.

2.38/5  rDev -35.3%

Clearish orange/pink, like a dark apple juice with a small white head. Nose is some fruit but I can't place my finger on it... oh wait, raspberries... and more raspberries. Then add another handful of 'em. Taste is like raspberry vodka, lots of alcohol. It's actually not bad at first, kind of like strong slightly malted raspberries, but the aftertaste is extemely alcoholic and tart. Mouthfeel is average, drinkability is hurt by both the taste and the ABV.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured out a reddish orange brown color, with a thin white bubbly head. The nose is raspberry, alcohol, some slight floral notes, honey, malt. The taste is honey, raspberry, fruit, alcohol, fig, stone fruit. Has a medium body mouthfeel, the alcohol bites you. I wonder what this would taste like aged another 10-15 years. This is a better beer than the ratings reflect.

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured a wildflower honey color. Minimal white head, with minimal lacing. This was expected, given the high alcohol content, and the fact its a fruit beer.

Smelled of raspberry and wine. Undertones of vodka. Smelled very nice overall, the alcohol was forgivable due to the alcohol content.

Taste was of raspberry, sweet wine, and alcohol. Are there hops there? Any malt? For a fruit beer, this was however great. I like fruit beers fruity.

Mouthfeel was alright. A little thin.

Very drinkable, if you like strong drinks, and you hold your alcohol well. It would be better if the alcohol was cut back a bit. But then again, this is DFH, so rock on.

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

25.6oz. bottled on 11/19/06.
I picked up two of these, one to try now and the other to age a bit. This fresh bottle poured a sun burst red with orange highlights very little head and no lacing to speak of. The smell is pretty much all raspberries. The taste follows with lots of raspberries up front and alcohol warming in the finish. The mouth feel is lightly carbonated and thickens up the more it warms. I shared a glass from this bottle and could easily drink the rest but I do not see myself turning to this again until I try my aged bottle. With that said its not one of my favorite styles to drink but I could easily recomend it to another as it is a quality brew.

2.38/5  rDev -35.3%

Raspberries and booze, that's what you'll get out of this one. Pours pinkish with a white head. Smells like it tastes, like raspberries and alcohol. The taste is dominated by the berry and the very warm alcohol. I was hoping for some more complexity with this one, but that's about it. Surprisingly I found this one easier to drink as I went along, that may have had something to do with the 18% strength. This one should almost be treated as an aperitif rather then any traditional beer. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't I'd buy it again for the very steep price they are asking for it.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Huge bottle pours a chill hazed but radiant copper body with a small almond head that quickly falls to a pink fringed skim and collar. Aroma is subtle, odd considering the bottle is stamped with a bottling date just over a month ago. Raspberry jam notes are joined by model airplane glue to the nose. Odd, but really pleasant. Medium body with spritzy carbonation. Taste is sticky with big doughy maltiness, sweet/tart berries, and the pleasant taste of the model airplane glue you loved as a kid. Solvent-like is an understatement, but it works here for some reason. Finishes dry with a kiss of grapefruit that comes out of nowhere. Surprisingly drinkable for such an enormous fruit beer. Another oddball brew from DFH.

2.45/5  rDev -33.4%

strawberry juice colored with a white head. about how a big fruit beer should look, IMO. Smells like raspberry jolly ranchers and red wine. Taste is a quick punch of raspberries and then an EXTREME alchol /baby cough syrup flavor. It really smacks you in the mouth. This experience does not diminish as you get further through the beer, either. Totally dominated by the alcohol, like a raspberry flavored mixed drink at a shitty bar. I really didn't like this offering from DH...and i do like fruit beers, even raspberry ones (like New Glarus' Rasp. Tart) but this just didn't do anything for me.

Report from the field:
Opened the bottle to celebrate being with old, good friends in Little Rock. Sorely disappointed. The nose is interesting, but boozy. Some deep raspberry notes sounding off, but overwhelmed by alcohol. To the eye it is a sullen red liquid with a thin collar. A taste brings all the expected alcohol, sweet red berry jam, and more alcohol. Just too harsh and strong. My wife, a Framboise lover, couldn't handle it. I ended up leaving a corked half bottle, the four of us couldn't finish it. Some earthy notes, mild funk, but the alcohol just was too much. Age it for a fortnight or twenty. I can maybe see this turning to jam and being enjoyable, but right now, I can't finish it.

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%

750mL bottle into small wine glasses and shared with family.

Pours tomato red with a very fizzy cap that lasts only a few seconds. No lacing. Slightly hazy.

Strong raspberry with a lot of alcohol burning through.

Once again, the raspberry is the dominant characteristic, mixing with the high alcohol. Medium bodied with low carbonation, with a slick feel, more like a wine. The finish is extremely dry from the alcohol.

This is a very flavorful beer, considering the amount of alcohol in it. The alcohol does make itself noticed though, and all you can taste is the raspberry puree. Considering all that, it's still a beer to be tried. I recommend it for wine lovers.

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%

Poured a cloudy red-amber with a little head that left fast. Smells of raspberries and sweetness. Tastes of raspberries and sweetness. Enough of the alcohol comes through to let you know that it's there, but it surprisingly does not at all overwhelm the taste. It's very light on the tongue, compares well to a sparkling fruit wine. I could drink this all night, except the price would break my wallet, and the alcohol would break my balance. It would go very well with a dark chocolate dessert that wasn't too sweet.

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%

Very fresh bottle, only about a month old.

Poured into a Corsendonk Christmas Ale goblet. Fairly cloudy amber color. Dissipated head, but nice ring and lacing.

Lots of alcohol in the aroma, but fresh fruit comes through as well.

I had this beer last spring and thought it was good, but getting it fresh this time truly made all the difference, as the fresh bottle REALLY has all the raspberry flavor still intact. Some suggestions of apple and pear come through, as were also apparent when I had it last spring. It has a nice hint of champagne-like tartness (tastes as though it may have been brewed with champagne yeast or something).

Mouthfeel is good for what this beer is... obviously there's a generous amount of alcohol heat (which keeps getting more prevalent as the beer warms), but that goes without saying. Nice spritzy carbonation too.

Buy this as fresh as you possibly can, and serve it at fridge temperature. It really is worth it. What a fantastic, warming, strong, flavorful brew this is. Have it at the end of the night, or with dessert - I paired it with home-made tiramisu, and it was truly exceptional. It makes a delicious (and less expensive) substitute for port wine. It's PORT BEER! I should copyright that name.

About $16 for a 750 mL

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours out like a red ice tea with lots of white suds to decorate the top of this inviting looking drink.
You know those vodka jigglers where you take jello and mix it with some sort of alcohol?
Well this smells like a cherry/raspberry/lime jiggler that I had at a local blues concert. Very strong aroma's of cherry and raspberry.
The alcohol is very prevalent here too.
Taste is a very sweet cherry malt flavor with just a hint of hop bitterness . The strong vodka/cherry juice takes over most of the flavors though. I would think girls would really like this.
Mouthfeel is suprisingly clean here with only the cherry flavor remaining along with the alcohol burn.
Drinkability ... hmm, you wouldn't want to drink more than one of these at a sitting or you wouldn't be able to stand up!

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Pink tinged, amber in color. A fair amount of carbonation to it. Huge, big ole nose of rasberries. This sucker screams fruit. Very sweet-no tartness to it. Nice big blast of rasberries and some crisp malt-wheat? The alcohol is very present. Slight bitterness-I chalk that up to the alcohol. While the fruit is a sweet boost it is actually quite dry. Good body for the beer overall. Very enjoyable-split a bottle with a friend @ 18%. The alcohol dominance knocks it down a bit. Now that I can get it easily in bottles I will cellar some for sure.

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery