Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

ABV varies from 15-18%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
Reviews: 508 | Hads: 1,031
3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured a wildflower honey color. Minimal white head, with minimal lacing. This was expected, given the high alcohol content, and the fact its a fruit beer.

Smelled of raspberry and wine. Undertones of vodka. Smelled very nice overall, the alcohol was forgivable due to the alcohol content.

Taste was of raspberry, sweet wine, and alcohol. Are there hops there? Any malt? For a fruit beer, this was however great. I like fruit beers fruity.

Mouthfeel was alright. A little thin.

Very drinkable, if you like strong drinks, and you hold your alcohol well. It would be better if the alcohol was cut back a bit. But then again, this is DFH, so rock on.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

When I saw a few 25 oz. bottles of this stuff on the shelf, I felt compelled to grab one. Hype or not, this beer demanded a test drive. Poured into a wine glass a crystal clear medium amber, forming a short fluffy head that never completely went away. The bubbles float slowly to the surface from start to finish, foreshadowing the thickness of this beer. The first component of the aroma I notice is a lightly malty, sweet alcohol --almost like champagne or a sweet white wine. The second is raspberries, but not terribly large in the forefront and not too sweet. The taste is strong, winey, and complex. Yes, it tastes sort of like a beer, but it tastes more like a chardonnay. In addition to the sour raspberry flavors, there are hints of pears, grapes, and the banana fruitiness of wheat malt. The mouthfeel is unsurprisingly thick and very fizzy. There's also a prominent heat.

I like Fort, and despite reading a lot of the hype (and anti-hype), its flavor is a surprise to me. It may be something that I only try once, or at most grab on a rare occassion, but it is definitely worth picking up. Like many Dogfish products, it makes for a perspective-widening beer experience.

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%

Dogfish head Fort ABV: 18% Bottled in 2008!

A: Beautiful looking beer. Has a redish to yellow tint to it. minimal to no head or lacing.

S: The smell is of fruits(mostly raspberries) and red wine. This beer smells and taste sweet! Has a very unique smell and very advertising.

T: Taste of a very wonderful sweet red wine. Has a raspberry taste with a hint of wheat, hops and malts. This beer is very balanced, but has a distinctive bite... The alcohol!!

M-D: From what I said earlier has a balanced taste and the flavors of the beer just go together greatly. This beer is a sharing beer... I am, of course, sharing this with my bro. This beer I would drink only one a night and have others to sip on. Good "Chilling" beer!!

3.4/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

750ml bottle poured into a mug.

Slightly cloudy and amber in color. Viscous. About 1/4" thin head that instantly vanished. No lacing.

Scents of fruity candy and sherry. Not as much raspberry as I expected. But, of course it is there. A bit hop heavy for this style, I think. I'm also tasting honey, and hint of spearmint.

Moderate to heavy sweetness with a slightly sticky mouthfeel. The sweetness is a little overbearing at first. But, quickly calms down. Alcohol comes on strong in the finish. Very warming for such a fruit-filled ale.

This is basically a one-trick pony. Not too much complexity. But, done well nonetheless. As with most all DH stuff, a unique experience.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

It poured a dark yellow with a red tint in the light looked nice like you would expect a raspberry beer if you know what that would look like kinda nice i guess looked good small head with lacing.

The smell was nice with raspberries and alcohol dominating. Hops on the back side.

The taste is heavily alcohol and fruit with very sweet notes some tastes are hard to pick out but it is kinda nice definitely good for a fruit beer.

The mouthfeel is kinda heavy and decent reminds me of a barley wine. the drinkability is low and probably couldnt finish more than a pint or two cause it sits so heavy with the large alcohol content. Good fruit beer and would recommend it if you want to try one

4.37/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a snifter

A dark raspberry hued fog rises from the bottle and gently floats down the neck to dissipate into the surrounding air. I tilt the glass and pour not hurriedly, the beer swells a golden mahogany and instantly a sweet aroma with hints of tea and raspberry assaults my nostrils. The carbonation powers out a thin dark brown/white head that dissolves into the alcohol intensive liquid. What is left of the head clings pensively to the walls of the glass until it finally rejoins it's mates in the warm alcoholic fluid bubbling in the glass.

Aside from the overwhelming blended fruit essence that attacks the nostrils there is an almost equally alcoholic quality to this drink that accentuates the assault from the sweet fruit and candied sugars. Less obvious is the sour aspect of the fruit that gives it a tea like aroma, a quaint hop bitterness and a spiciness add to the warming almost medicinal aromas wafting from this beer.

The aroma of this beer is an integral part of tasting it, as the flavour is not as "in your face" with delicate distinctions between the different ingredients. Immediately the overwhelming sweetness, and alcohol phenols of the odors present themselves more delicately in the flavour of this beer. The slight hop bitterness and sour notes present in the aroma are more present in the flavour and create a very gratifying contrast to the sweet raspberry chocolate cordial taste. This drink is a dessert in and of itself, a chocolate covered raspberry tart. The malt in this beer harkened back memories of a chocolate stout I recently had but this was dark raspberry chocolate with a contrasting tartness. This scrumptious dessert is finished off with a slight bitter citrusy hop flavour and warm spices (much of what I would expect in a Strong Belgian Ale). Eventually the tartness almost completely takes over and the alcohol dries the palate leaving a dry spice on the breath.

Silky texture as it enters the mouth, instantaneously it warms the soul then carbonation hits the palate taking your attention away from the intense alcohol and raspberry flavours present and reminding you that this is a beer. A slight puckering is produced from the bitter tartness that is aesthetically pleasing as a complement to the warming alcohol and sweetness present. Aesthetically this beer very much reminds me of a concoction of champagne and Chambord.

More drinkable than the first waft would have led me to believe. I had this with a chocolate fondue, pound cake, and strawberries and this beer, a dessert in itself, went perfectly. Not a beer to drink by yourself, a very share worthy beer whether it be with friends or a loved one (as was my case) and most certainly not a session beer.

3.04/5  rDev -16.9%

Overall, this beer was just o.k. The least attractive aspect of this beer is its aroma. It falls somewhere in between flinstones vitamins and robitussin. The raspberry scent comes through slightly, but the alcohol overpowers everything. Pours a nice pinkinsh amber with minimal head. The flavor of the rasperries is faint, but pleasant. There is a nice malt profile and some hops, but the flavors are dominated by the alcohol. I understand what they were going for with this beer, and I love big beers as much as the next BA, but this particular brew could probably benefit from a lower ABV, just to let some of the other flavors shine through.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Bought on January 10 2007. Sampled June 20 2008. Aging for around one year 6 months. Intial pour leaves little lace and head. Cloudy rusty color. Smells of berries with some warming alcohol. Sediment was seen on first pour!

Initial taste is of semisweet berries. Carbonation is low. Semidry with a warming alcohol down the throat. Amazing complexity of flavors. Spicy, peppery, sweety, and the nice smooth alcohol drip down the throat. Alcohol is being felt within the five minutes of writing this review.

Drinkability lowers a little with a high ABV even though it's not tasted much. Recommended for any extreme beer drinker or any drinker of beer.

2.76/5  rDev -24.6%

A - Very colorful beer, beautiful aray of colors, amber, some shades of pink, and some delicate red tones,I am sure from the rasberries. Very eye catching in appearance.

S - Solid aroma of fresh off the vine rasberries, with a touch of a freshly popped botte of chanpagne. This smell reminds me of a New Years celebration.

T - An explosive hit of fresh pureed rasberrries, there are a few citrus tasting notes in there but mostly fermented rasberries. Slight taste of some wood/oak notes with the champagne flavor left to linger on your tounge.

M - Ok I am going to make my champagne reference again. Yes this beer was very bubbly and dry, like a fine french champange. (I am now done with champagne references)

D - Not my personal favorite but I have to try everything. There was a little to much rasberry flavor/sweetness. I know that this is a fruit beer but in my opinion I did not care for the the sweetness that Fort had to it, like I said not my favorite but it is ok. Good beer to have after dinner in combination with some dark chocolate.

3.27/5  rDev -10.7%

Kept outside in a snow pack in Breckenridge Colorado until served. Served in a Chimay Tulip glass.

A - Rich cherry wood color with tints of orange. Light head retreats quickly leaves no lacing. Looked a bit cloudy however was probably from the temperature.

S - Strong Raspberry aroma right off, very sweet alcohol smell with a hint of hops.

M - Very fizzy, light on the palate and clears quickly.

T - Overwhelmingly alcohol, at first noticeable only lightly, as the beer warms alcohol more prevalent and overpowers the raspberry. Mineral hits of Iron and tart ester. Back of palate picks up the very tart almost sour taste.

D - This one seems as though it needs to be paired with a raspberry dessert or possibly a raspberry appetizer as that will help bring it out in this beer. Should be shared as in the time it takes to drink the bottle it will have warmed to the point at which the alcohol is overpowering.

Overall I would suggest this one for a light 8 ounce service among a group for a raspberry cheesecake dessert as the raspberry needs to be enhanced and the sour/tartness on the palate neutralized.

1.42/5  rDev -61.2%

This beer is horrendous. I love dogfish head beers and am making a trip to the brewery in the coming weeks, me and my friend buy up any varieties we come across in distributors because we love DFH so much. That being said, this beer to me was undrinkable, expecting a fruit bomb, it was more like a straight alcohol taste, with a slight hint of raspberries, it was the definiton of "too much", although i know alot of time and effort was put into this beer, I will never buy it again, put it this way, it was so bad I dumped it down the drain after about 5 minutes. big miss.

3.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle (2011 date stamp) into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Definitely a beer that you have to let warm, right out of the fridge it was harsh, overly sweet and alcoholic... definitely disappointing. Notes are from once it's warmed a bit.

A: Pours a deep amber with bright red notes. Absolutely beautiful. Little to no head, a far bit of sticky lacing with some strong staying power.

S: Sweet, sugary, raspberries. Intense.

T: Very sweet, with raspberry dominating the flavor profile. Alcohol is very present, but not in a bad way. Once it warmed, it was more balanced. The complexity of the sweet v. tartness of the raspberries shined through.

M: Syrup-y, which somewhat hinders the drinkability. Mild carbonation. Nothing to really cut the sweetness. Because of the thick quality of the beer, the taste lingers, which is unexpectedly pleasant.

O: At first sip, I was ready to dump the bottle. Letting it warm allowed this beer to really shine - the complexity of the raspberry combined with the strong malty backbone made for a fun drinking experience. Very glad I had someone to share it with though, because at ~18% ABV, the whole bottle would have knocked me out.

1.64/5  rDev -55.2%

2009 bottle - pours a cloudy orangeish color, a little bit of head, which disappears quickly. Smells really astringent, just like rubbing alcohol. Not a pleasant smell at all. Can smell a little bit of raspberries but they are completely overhwelmed by the alcohol. Taste is just like the smell...the raspberries are not even very pleasant. It tastes like a mix of raspberry soda and moonshine. Just awful. I took a few mouthfulls and then drainpoured the rest. Just a mess of a beer, I highly doubt that more aging would improve this beer much.

4.1/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

1 pint 9 0z. bottle split with jramey2

A: Pours a bright reddish brown, can't see through it. Not much head.

S: Smells like sour raspberries.Think I detect a bit of yeast in the smell as well.

T. Tastes like raspberries and alcohol. Not sour like in the smell, a bit sweet, rather The high ABV doesn't mask it's presence so well likein the Raison D'Extra.

M:Medium body, more carbonation than I expected.

D: About a drinkable as a 18% ABV beer can be.

The world's strongest fruit beer is another good offering from Dogfish Head.

4.46/5  rDev +21.9%

A luxurious treat....the smell is of raspberries and alcohol, not surpisingly....mouthfeel is a little thick at first but finishes drier....The alcohol is well-masked, I find, and I would find it hard to believe another recent reviewer's contention that the alcohol is higher than 18%...I've nearly finished a bottle and am still feeling fairly coherent. Altogether the flavor is very pleasing--the raspberry taste dominates without at all becoming cough-syrupy. I plan to have this again, but with a) friends and b) some sort of dessert.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Served from a 750ml. bottle into a snifter just under cellar temp. Bottled date is 11/13/2006

A - Poured a finger and a half light pinkish / off white head. The head settled down to a drinkable level very quick with some lasting lacing. Color is a clear reddish orange with a few specks of sediment.

S - Aromas of what else? Raspberries!! Light alcohol present but nowhere near what I expected out of 18%

T – Again what else raspberries!! Some bitterness present in the finish. Very sweet.

M – Texture is light and bubbly. What I would consider a clean finish, almost crisp.

D - I’m a big DFH fan. This isn’t one of my favorites though. I just had to give it a chance, too sweet for my pallet. Luck I split it with a couple of friend because I couldn’t have finished the bottle myself. Even though it wasn’t my favorite DFH I’d still recommend giving it a taste.

4.02/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought a bottle of this from Bev Max in Stamford Ct. on saturday and it set me back about $16 bucks. I'm not usually a big fruit beer fan but had been looking forward to trying this one. I poured it into a Piratte tulip glass.

A- It poured a nice amber gold that was slightly cloudy. I was expecting a red beer (for some reason) and was quite surprised by the way it looked. It had a tiny white head (maybe 1/4") that disappered realy fast and left no laceing.

S- I expected it to smell like juice or kool aid or something and was surprised. All though the rapberries were definatly there, they were rather mild and delicate. It smelled sweet with some light yeast and alot of alcohol. It smelled like some of the home made fruit wines I used to make back in the day.

T- Again I was surprised how subdued the raspberries were! Like the smell they were up front and dominated but had a certain restraint to them. This beer is deifanitly sweet but not syrupy. I also noticed, like the smell, some light yeast and a malty sweetness, but no real malt character. The raspberries tasted fresh and not artifical with a good sweet tangy flavor. The alcohol dominated the back end and was quite boozy. It almost burned the tounge if held to long, and warmed me to my toes! As the beer warmed the raspberries become a little more pronunced and the taste mellowed a bit. Again, it sort of reminded me of the home made fruit wines. My wife said it reminded her of champagne with chambord!

M- Fairly medium body beer with a lively active carbonation that reminded me of champagne.

D- I thought this was an interesting beer. It had a nice balance of fruit and sweetness that worked for me. The alcohol did come through a little strong but was drinkable. I would drink it again on occasion but the abv is a little high for much more than that. Cheers!

4.36/5  rDev +19.1%

Pour - dark ruby, almost like a pure grapefruit juice. The head is small, and dissipates quickly with drinking.

Smell - pure awesome raspberry. for a fruit beer, the smell is amazing and exactly what you would want. It ends with a slight hint of the alcohol, which is welcome after such intense sweet odors.

Taste - The taste is on point in terms of capturing fruit tastes into a well crafted brew. The high alcohol content of this beer is well masked by the intense raspberry flavor, but the end of each taste is still dominated by a small, and slight stinging alcohol taste.

Drinkability - Definitely not a great session beer, due to its high ABV and intense flavors, however a single bottle of the beer, 1 pint +9.6 fl oz, is easily drinkable by one.

Overall, a delightfully innovative and tasty fruit beer with few shortcomings.

3.4/5  rDev -7.1%

Bottled in 2009. Poured from a bomber into a DFH snifter.

A - Red/Orange color. A bit hazy. Almost no head whatsoever.

S - Intense raspberry notes. The alcohol definitely comes through. Almost no hop aroma probably because the bottle is two years old.

T - Much like the nose there are intense raspberry flavors and you can definitely taste the alcohol. Some tartness from the raspberry. Relatively no hop flavor at all.

M - Medium bodied. I am left with a tangy tartness in my mouth long after drinking.

Overall if you have never had this beer you should try it at least once to say you did. Dogfish Head pushed the envelope with this one. If you can find a vintage bottle buy it. It is worth the money.

4.07/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

From time to time I get the chance to try the exotic, and Dogfish head stuff is usually pretty out there.
I was impressed by the look, smell, and taste. While a little fruity, it was still pretty good. It's difficult to describe exactly, but imagine a heavy hefeweizen with strong fruit-like undertones.
While I liked the taste, the moment the beer got to my stomach something said 'stop.' I felt that beer much more than I tasted it, and couldn't finish a whole glass. It wasn't just the high alcohol content either, the stuff was just too heavy for me. If you're into very heavy beers, and very fruity beers, the Fort is your dream. If not, though, take in small doses. This is definitely a sipper to be shared with a large group of people.

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%

The only keg we got in the DFW on tap at my favorite local pub-poured into a chimay goblet.

Pours ruby red with a nice reddish head. Smells very sweet-raspberry aroma really comes through. Tastes as sweet-I've had this in a bottle as well and the alcohol and overall sweetness is subdued on tap. The owner appearently cellared the keg for a few months which I'm sure has something to do with it. Nice malty backbone which helps to mellow the sweetness as well. Smooth and flavorful-I've never tasted anything quite like this. 18% abv was there but not as in your face as you'd think. Not one you could down all night-one was just enough for me.

Very happy I got the oppurtunity to try this on tap. Definately not to be missed if you get the chance.

4.17/5  rDev +13.9%

(A) Very Pink in color and actually changed in color as it was being poured. There was absolutely no head retention at all due to the high alcohol percentage. (thanks andy)

(S) Smell was awesome. Very strong and coud smell the fruit more than anything. Great Aroma!

(T) Simply Fantastic! I can taste the alcohol in it but the fruit flavor still overwhelms. Best fruit beer in a while!

(M) Very light mouthfeel. It left a slight film along my palate but the flavor still lingered after swallowed.

(D) A very drinkable beer! Best fruit beer I have had in a while. Would drink a whole bottle in one setting if it would kill me!

1.65/5  rDev -54.9%

It had a bit of a funky smell, definately some honey in there, very warming finish, taste is something in between a fruit beer and a mead, very little to no raspberry flavor, carbonation is a bit high and bites especially in the finish

Not something I would recomend to anyone to pick up, I am continually amazed by the low quality of offerings by DFH, seems everyone is always in love with their beers, its not always wise to take things to the absolute extreme, balance is the hallmark of a quality beer

3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

Appearance - rich amber/orange color.

Smell - RAz raz RAz. (and alcohol)

Taste - The alcohol is hidden quite well, with raspberry and malt predominant. A bit too sweet and cloying.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated and prominent heat Too thick and syrupy for my taste.

Drinkability - A little to boozy for me. The syrupy nature would really make me think twice

4.02/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottled 10/23/15; poured into a snifter. Deep orange color veering slightly towards light red. Minimal head that quickly settled away.

Aroma is sweet berries with maybe a hint of malt. Giving the glass a swirl liberates some light alcohol notes that blend with the berries. Mouthfeel is rich, though noticeably light on the carbonation.

Taste is fruity with a light tartness that balances and makes the beer enjoyable. It's much closer to a mild lambic than the much boozier tasting 120 minute, World Wide Stout or Olde School. There is a touch of sweetness, but not at all cloying or medicinal.

Overall this is much lighter than I expected; more in the nose than the palate. Not to say it's a flavorless beer, just less robust than I expected from a Dogfish 'big' beer. It's enjoyable, though I think there are some light lambics that match its quality and are easier to find than this occasional rarity.

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery