Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

ABV varies from 15-18%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
Reviews: 508 | Hads: 1,031
1.42/5  rDev -61.2%

This beer is horrendous. I love dogfish head beers and am making a trip to the brewery in the coming weeks, me and my friend buy up any varieties we come across in distributors because we love DFH so much. That being said, this beer to me was undrinkable, expecting a fruit bomb, it was more like a straight alcohol taste, with a slight hint of raspberries, it was the definiton of "too much", although i know alot of time and effort was put into this beer, I will never buy it again, put it this way, it was so bad I dumped it down the drain after about 5 minutes. big miss.

3.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle (2011 date stamp) into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Definitely a beer that you have to let warm, right out of the fridge it was harsh, overly sweet and alcoholic... definitely disappointing. Notes are from once it's warmed a bit.

A: Pours a deep amber with bright red notes. Absolutely beautiful. Little to no head, a far bit of sticky lacing with some strong staying power.

S: Sweet, sugary, raspberries. Intense.

T: Very sweet, with raspberry dominating the flavor profile. Alcohol is very present, but not in a bad way. Once it warmed, it was more balanced. The complexity of the sweet v. tartness of the raspberries shined through.

M: Syrup-y, which somewhat hinders the drinkability. Mild carbonation. Nothing to really cut the sweetness. Because of the thick quality of the beer, the taste lingers, which is unexpectedly pleasant.

O: At first sip, I was ready to dump the bottle. Letting it warm allowed this beer to really shine - the complexity of the raspberry combined with the strong malty backbone made for a fun drinking experience. Very glad I had someone to share it with though, because at ~18% ABV, the whole bottle would have knocked me out.

1.64/5  rDev -55.2%

2009 bottle - pours a cloudy orangeish color, a little bit of head, which disappears quickly. Smells really astringent, just like rubbing alcohol. Not a pleasant smell at all. Can smell a little bit of raspberries but they are completely overhwelmed by the alcohol. Taste is just like the smell...the raspberries are not even very pleasant. It tastes like a mix of raspberry soda and moonshine. Just awful. I took a few mouthfulls and then drainpoured the rest. Just a mess of a beer, I highly doubt that more aging would improve this beer much.

4.1/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

1 pint 9 0z. bottle split with jramey2

A: Pours a bright reddish brown, can't see through it. Not much head.

S: Smells like sour raspberries.Think I detect a bit of yeast in the smell as well.

T. Tastes like raspberries and alcohol. Not sour like in the smell, a bit sweet, rather The high ABV doesn't mask it's presence so well likein the Raison D'Extra.

M:Medium body, more carbonation than I expected.

D: About a drinkable as a 18% ABV beer can be.

The world's strongest fruit beer is another good offering from Dogfish Head.

4.46/5  rDev +21.9%

A luxurious treat....the smell is of raspberries and alcohol, not surpisingly....mouthfeel is a little thick at first but finishes drier....The alcohol is well-masked, I find, and I would find it hard to believe another recent reviewer's contention that the alcohol is higher than 18%...I've nearly finished a bottle and am still feeling fairly coherent. Altogether the flavor is very pleasing--the raspberry taste dominates without at all becoming cough-syrupy. I plan to have this again, but with a) friends and b) some sort of dessert.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Served from a 750ml. bottle into a snifter just under cellar temp. Bottled date is 11/13/2006

A - Poured a finger and a half light pinkish / off white head. The head settled down to a drinkable level very quick with some lasting lacing. Color is a clear reddish orange with a few specks of sediment.

S - Aromas of what else? Raspberries!! Light alcohol present but nowhere near what I expected out of 18%

T – Again what else raspberries!! Some bitterness present in the finish. Very sweet.

M – Texture is light and bubbly. What I would consider a clean finish, almost crisp.

D - I’m a big DFH fan. This isn’t one of my favorites though. I just had to give it a chance, too sweet for my pallet. Luck I split it with a couple of friend because I couldn’t have finished the bottle myself. Even though it wasn’t my favorite DFH I’d still recommend giving it a taste.

4.02/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought a bottle of this from Bev Max in Stamford Ct. on saturday and it set me back about $16 bucks. I'm not usually a big fruit beer fan but had been looking forward to trying this one. I poured it into a Piratte tulip glass.

A- It poured a nice amber gold that was slightly cloudy. I was expecting a red beer (for some reason) and was quite surprised by the way it looked. It had a tiny white head (maybe 1/4") that disappered realy fast and left no laceing.

S- I expected it to smell like juice or kool aid or something and was surprised. All though the rapberries were definatly there, they were rather mild and delicate. It smelled sweet with some light yeast and alot of alcohol. It smelled like some of the home made fruit wines I used to make back in the day.

T- Again I was surprised how subdued the raspberries were! Like the smell they were up front and dominated but had a certain restraint to them. This beer is deifanitly sweet but not syrupy. I also noticed, like the smell, some light yeast and a malty sweetness, but no real malt character. The raspberries tasted fresh and not artifical with a good sweet tangy flavor. The alcohol dominated the back end and was quite boozy. It almost burned the tounge if held to long, and warmed me to my toes! As the beer warmed the raspberries become a little more pronunced and the taste mellowed a bit. Again, it sort of reminded me of the home made fruit wines. My wife said it reminded her of champagne with chambord!

M- Fairly medium body beer with a lively active carbonation that reminded me of champagne.

D- I thought this was an interesting beer. It had a nice balance of fruit and sweetness that worked for me. The alcohol did come through a little strong but was drinkable. I would drink it again on occasion but the abv is a little high for much more than that. Cheers!

4.36/5  rDev +19.1%

Pour - dark ruby, almost like a pure grapefruit juice. The head is small, and dissipates quickly with drinking.

Smell - pure awesome raspberry. for a fruit beer, the smell is amazing and exactly what you would want. It ends with a slight hint of the alcohol, which is welcome after such intense sweet odors.

Taste - The taste is on point in terms of capturing fruit tastes into a well crafted brew. The high alcohol content of this beer is well masked by the intense raspberry flavor, but the end of each taste is still dominated by a small, and slight stinging alcohol taste.

Drinkability - Definitely not a great session beer, due to its high ABV and intense flavors, however a single bottle of the beer, 1 pint +9.6 fl oz, is easily drinkable by one.

Overall, a delightfully innovative and tasty fruit beer with few shortcomings.

3.4/5  rDev -7.1%

Bottled in 2009. Poured from a bomber into a DFH snifter.

A - Red/Orange color. A bit hazy. Almost no head whatsoever.

S - Intense raspberry notes. The alcohol definitely comes through. Almost no hop aroma probably because the bottle is two years old.

T - Much like the nose there are intense raspberry flavors and you can definitely taste the alcohol. Some tartness from the raspberry. Relatively no hop flavor at all.

M - Medium bodied. I am left with a tangy tartness in my mouth long after drinking.

Overall if you have never had this beer you should try it at least once to say you did. Dogfish Head pushed the envelope with this one. If you can find a vintage bottle buy it. It is worth the money.

4.07/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

From time to time I get the chance to try the exotic, and Dogfish head stuff is usually pretty out there.
I was impressed by the look, smell, and taste. While a little fruity, it was still pretty good. It's difficult to describe exactly, but imagine a heavy hefeweizen with strong fruit-like undertones.
While I liked the taste, the moment the beer got to my stomach something said 'stop.' I felt that beer much more than I tasted it, and couldn't finish a whole glass. It wasn't just the high alcohol content either, the stuff was just too heavy for me. If you're into very heavy beers, and very fruity beers, the Fort is your dream. If not, though, take in small doses. This is definitely a sipper to be shared with a large group of people.

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%

The only keg we got in the DFW on tap at my favorite local pub-poured into a chimay goblet.

Pours ruby red with a nice reddish head. Smells very sweet-raspberry aroma really comes through. Tastes as sweet-I've had this in a bottle as well and the alcohol and overall sweetness is subdued on tap. The owner appearently cellared the keg for a few months which I'm sure has something to do with it. Nice malty backbone which helps to mellow the sweetness as well. Smooth and flavorful-I've never tasted anything quite like this. 18% abv was there but not as in your face as you'd think. Not one you could down all night-one was just enough for me.

Very happy I got the oppurtunity to try this on tap. Definately not to be missed if you get the chance.

4.17/5  rDev +13.9%

(A) Very Pink in color and actually changed in color as it was being poured. There was absolutely no head retention at all due to the high alcohol percentage. (thanks andy)

(S) Smell was awesome. Very strong and coud smell the fruit more than anything. Great Aroma!

(T) Simply Fantastic! I can taste the alcohol in it but the fruit flavor still overwhelms. Best fruit beer in a while!

(M) Very light mouthfeel. It left a slight film along my palate but the flavor still lingered after swallowed.

(D) A very drinkable beer! Best fruit beer I have had in a while. Would drink a whole bottle in one setting if it would kill me!

1.65/5  rDev -54.9%

It had a bit of a funky smell, definately some honey in there, very warming finish, taste is something in between a fruit beer and a mead, very little to no raspberry flavor, carbonation is a bit high and bites especially in the finish

Not something I would recomend to anyone to pick up, I am continually amazed by the low quality of offerings by DFH, seems everyone is always in love with their beers, its not always wise to take things to the absolute extreme, balance is the hallmark of a quality beer

3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

Appearance - rich amber/orange color.

Smell - RAz raz RAz. (and alcohol)

Taste - The alcohol is hidden quite well, with raspberry and malt predominant. A bit too sweet and cloying.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated and prominent heat Too thick and syrupy for my taste.

Drinkability - A little to boozy for me. The syrupy nature would really make me think twice

4.02/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottled 10/23/15; poured into a snifter. Deep orange color veering slightly towards light red. Minimal head that quickly settled away.

Aroma is sweet berries with maybe a hint of malt. Giving the glass a swirl liberates some light alcohol notes that blend with the berries. Mouthfeel is rich, though noticeably light on the carbonation.

Taste is fruity with a light tartness that balances and makes the beer enjoyable. It's much closer to a mild lambic than the much boozier tasting 120 minute, World Wide Stout or Olde School. There is a touch of sweetness, but not at all cloying or medicinal.

Overall this is much lighter than I expected; more in the nose than the palate. Not to say it's a flavorless beer, just less robust than I expected from a Dogfish 'big' beer. It's enjoyable, though I think there are some light lambics that match its quality and are easier to find than this occasional rarity.

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This is actually my second tasting. Both bottled on 11/13/06. 1st purchased from Total Wine and sampled 12/23/06. 2nd from Wine & Beer Westpark and sampled 1/27/07. Both times poured in to a wine glass.

A- amber red-orange, thin white head, little lacing.

S- raspberry of course, alcohol, sweet malt.

T- sweet raspberry, hot alcohol on my first tasting, not as hot one month later. fruity, sweet malt, honey.

M- thin to medium body, good carbonation.

D- This beer needs to age. Scores would have been higher with age imo. Not syruppy for it's sweetness. The alcohol was too hot on my first tasting, making it tought to drink. On my second tasting, the alcohol was toned down a bit, making it more enjoyable after only 1mos time. No too much raspberry flavor. No tartness like a framboise. This would be a good aperitif or sub for dessert wine. I'm putting a third bottle aside for another year or so. It should be great by then.

2.1/5  rDev -42.6%

After about a year of pondering the purchase of this beer, I finally caved and purchased a bottle of 07 this past Friday.

A: Murky brownish amber in color

S: Strangely vegetable-like and slightly sour aroma

T: Akin to a cheap sweetish wine with carbonation, a slight hint of raspberries, not sure where the ton of berries went to, definitely not into my bottle.

Mouthfeel: Average decent body, just not something that I want to keep in my mouth for too long.

Drinkability: I am halfway through my 1st glass and I can certainly feel the alcohol doing its work, unfortunately I cannot get past the peculiar vegetal off-taste of this brew.

I am supremely disappointed in this brew, if it wasn't for the $16 I would send this one along to the town sewer. I guess that I should have bought the Midas Touch.

4.6/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

first thing: i cannot believe that this is an 18% beer. way, way too well balanced. however, i'll go along with the listed ABV, for now anyway.

visual: hazy strawberry blonde. moderate head and carbonation.

aroma: raspberries. simple, but good.

foretaste: raspberry extract-like. interesting. i like it.

mouthfeel: medium to heavy.

midpalate: raspberry and hop; alcohol (assuming it is really 18% ABV) extremely well hidden. perhaps a huge hopping rate to make this so drinkable?

aftertaste: pretty much raspberry extract. dry.

you'd expect such an extreme beer to be way malty, way sweet. this isn't. kudos to DFH.

buzz is hitting me now, shortly after downing this one rather quickly. it may actually be 18% ABV as listed. but as i wrote, very, very well balanced, regardless of actual ABV. a winner!

2.7/5  rDev -26.2%

2006 edition poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Copper colored with some red highlights. Good 1 to 1 1/2 finger head that lasts. Some lacing, but not a lot.

Smell - First impression is raspberry, then mingling with alcohol and yeast. It doesn't smell overly sweet.

Taste - Hints of raspberries, with less sweetness than I expected. And then I got hit with an alcohol bomb. The alcohol is way too pronounced in this one. I thought letting it sit around for 18 months would mellow it a bit. Obviously not. No balance at all. I like my beer to at least remind me of beer.

Mouthfeel - The high carbonation is great, but the alcohol is again just too much.

Drinkability - Between the price and the difficulty drinking, I really don't think too highly of this beer. I have had moonshine that is easier to drink.

This is not one of my favorite DFH beers. No balance or subtlety here. Try one of their other extreme beers instead.

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

Really think not driving after this one is a good idea. A 25 ounce bottle is as strong as an 8-pack of Bud. Yeah me neither...don't drink Bud.

Stopped and paid $9 at a bottleshop near Pittsburgh. Good value for 25 ounces.

Looks OK with a slight blush to it.

Looking for the fruit and it was pleasing but didn't smell too overpowering.

Taste is a tour de force. I didn't recall this was an 18% beer. I thought it tasted pretty hot for a 12%. As you get into the beer you notice less alcohol and more berry flavor that seems real and not to sweet. I like it!

Mouthfeel was unremarkably.

Drinkability- "Danger Will Robinson!". My wife and I thought it was a big time brew. If you are in the mood for a full frontal assault...party on
You could definetly get lost in this beer.

We definetly will buy another bottle.

4.13/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thank you to ILOVESTOUTS for sending a great brew.
Poured a burnt amber orange with minimal head. Aroma was very mild, some raspberries, spices, and slight alcohol. Flavor was very mild, with some raspberry, candi sugar, malt and alcohol. I was skeptical from the other ratings but I thought it was very good.

3.64/5  rDev -0.5%

My hat goes off to the (2) folks who have actually purchased growlers of this stuff. Whoo!

A: This beer wins with is it's appearance. A very inviting reddish hue, it pours and settles to leave the drinker with absolutely no lace. Looks more like a carbonated wine than a beer in my pint glass.

S: The phenols are certainly present, as they should be with any 18%. I pick up: cranberries, cherries, and subtle wet hops. This one actually reminded me a lot of Burton Baton--they both give off an unmasked alcohol aroma.

T: The taste on this beer was pretty good, but nothing to write home about. Cranberries are present initially, followed by a warming alcohol/wine, contrasted by a nice balance of hops/malt. This beer was not just insipidly sweet; this beer had a very well rounded complexity that really developed as I sipped.

MF/D: Fort is, for an 18%, pretty damn drinkable. I was expecting a very sweet, almost syrupy quality to this beer, and was pleased to find a well balanced, high content, sharing-man's beer.

4.52/5  rDev +23.5%

Pours a ruby/amber color. Almost looks like a mix of grapefruit and apple juices. Minimal head the fizzles away.

Smells of sugary raspberries, alcohol, and just the slightest hint of hops.

Carbonation is felt on the tounge as well as a slight alcohol warmth followed up by a juicy/tart raspberry flavor. Hints of vanilla and caramel come through along with a bit of spice and hops. The raspberry flavor is very natural and almost more of a candied raspberry shortcake type flavor.

This would go great with a piece of rich creamy cheesecake to finish off the night and put you to bed! One of the most out there fruit beers I have ever tasted and it is oh so good! Thanks DFH!

4.07/5  rDev +11.2%

Appearance: Pours a reddish-amber hue with very minimal head or lacing -- just too much alcohol to retain carbonation.

Smell: Raspberries (obviously), but also a heavy licorice smell that advertises the abv pretty well. It smells appropriately boozy.

Taste: At first glance, it almost tastes like someone mixed together raspberry juice and scotch -- very boozy, but with enough sweetness and hops to balance a bit. There is definitely a heavy aftertaste, but with this much alcohol you'd have to expect that.

Mouthfeel: Heavy and a bit syrup-y. I was definitely nursing this a bit -- it gets overwhelming in bigger gulps.

Drinkability: Between the high alcohol and the liquor-like taste and feel, I'm not sure I could drink more than one glass. But why would you need to?

3.39/5  rDev -7.4%

we were all excited to try this one and with a whopping 18% abv the dogfish head fort seemed like it might be one for the books. Maybe we built it up to much, but this beer was a little of a dissapointment. The advertised "over a ton of rasberries" fell a bit short; however, they did come through nicely in the smell. At first we didn't notice the alcohol but after a few sips it starts to build up in the back of the mouth. The mouthfeel kind of bounces back and forth between crisp and syrup. All in all a decent brew, but not worth the 15.99 a bottle. Side note: as it is warming the taste really does improve with a sort of rasberry puree.

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery