Follow our progress ...

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Reviews: 550 | Ratings: 1,241
3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Reddish amber and shockingly transparent. Leaves a bit of sediment. Ok lacing. On first glance, this looks weak.

S: Rasberries and alcohol. More of both as the beer warms.

T: This is the rasberry spritzer or cordial of the beer world. This is well advertised on the bottle, so I will count that as a good thing. There is a good malt backbone to this beer. A little earthy flavor is brought in by the yeast.

M: This is a liquer with bubbles. Sweet and syrupy without inducing the gag reflex.

D: This is a dessert beer that should be enjoyed with friends to close an evening. My review may seem negative (and may rate that way) but I would recommend this as a dessert beer. The alcohol feel is a bit high for me though, and that tends to skew the experience of a beer for me.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

Vintage 2015
~6 months since bottle date

Appearance- Pours an orange, light amber color, transparent. Half finger thick, fizzy, slight off white colored head, dissipates quickly. Tons of sticky alcohol legs cling to glass.

Aroma- Tart, juicy raspberries, jammy. Sour apples, cherries, lemon, little bit of spiciness. Hints of fusel alcohol.

Taste- Raspberry puree, tart and juicy, subtle sweet maramalade. Tart cherries, cranberries, sweet honey, hints of spicy apple. Hot fusel alcohol notes linger with raspberries.

Feel- Medium feel, slightly syrupy but far less than you would think given the ABV. Moderate carbonation, lots of booziness.

Overall- Raspberry aroma and flavors are very authentic, wonderful fruity tartness with hints of sweetness. All sorts of other subtle fruit flavors come into play, adds a nice complexity. Beer is very hot at this age, all sorts of boozy notes but nothing that detracts from what the beer is. Well done for what its intended to be.

4.82/5  rDev +31%

A: Pours a crisp rose color with a decent white head that goes quickly.

S: Insanely like raspberry, as if they are being crammed into my olfactory. Extremely sweet and a little essence of pale malt extract with a waft of alcohol.

T: Rich creamy and so much raspberry goodness it is almost overwhelming. It has so much raspberry depth, nothing like any other fruit beer I have ever had. It does not contain that fake sugary fruit essence, or a thin I can almost imagine it flavor. The alcohol is almost covered for such a strong beer, but as it warms it does start to creep up. The tartness of the raspberry's does get covered up by bozzyness as it warms too.

M:Thick, heavy, creamy, and it sticks making your tongue beg for more tart raspberry.

D: Extremely drinkable for an 18% brew, would be hard to drink more than one though.

2.94/5  rDev -20.1%

I must admit, this disappointed me... Admittedly, I expected a lot, but I was left unimpressed.

A - Dark reddish, with a light pink to orange head.

S - Fruity and sweet and alcoholic. Very different than a Raspberry Lambic.

T - The alcohol punches through the other flavors... you can definitely taste the raspberry and malty flavors, but the alcohol is pervasive.

M - Maybe the best part of this beer, it feels great. Smooth and bubbly, and goes down nicely.

D - Couldn't drink more than one glass... glad I was sharing the 750.

4.34/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

It was a homebrew Sunday, so in celebration I decided to chill and share my mid '07 Fort with my fellow brewers. I've had many Forts over the years, but not one that has been aged this long.
Pours cloudy, dark orange with a bit of pink. Little head and low carbonation. Not much to look at.
The aroma a bit surprising considering the other Forts I've had as a reference. Very barley wine-like in the nose, with the raspberries incorporated nicely. Not near as much fruit as I expected.
Each of us had a small sample in six ounce whiskey glasses, and the ensuing tastes were extremely nice. The palate was equal to the nose in its balance and smoothness. It had a huge malt foundation that worked perfectly with the tart fruit and huge abv. It was not near as sweet as the early ones I've had, and the alcohol is truly incorporated. Very smooth, and little, if any, burn.
I've not purchased a Fort in a while due to its lack of balance, but I will definitely get one or two and set them aside for at least two years. The aged Fort was an excellent experience that I will definitely repeat...in 2011.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottled in '09, pours hazy golden brown, slight reddish tinge about it. No head here, whatsoever, though I did a slightly aggressive pour. Yield equals nothing. Overall, looks like a good brew, not what one would expect a fruit beer to look like.

Smell is huge fusel alcohol. Not much else, maybe a hint of raspberry scent, but mostly that big alcohol scent.

Taste is a bit of raspberry, a lot of alcohol, and a nice malt backbone follows up in the aftertaste.

Feel is super warm. Probably can be classified as hot. Warming like a shot of hard liquor. Good carbonation, nice and tingly, alive on the palate.

Average in the drinkability arena. Very heavy on the booze can lead to trouble. I'm polishing off this 750mL alone, and I hate to see what tomorrow brings.

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a clear orange glass. Strong off-white head with decent retention. Head fades to a persistent ring on the edge of the glass. Aroma is a mix of fruit and alcohol. Very little malt or hop aroma. Clean aroma, but relatively uninteresting. Fruit is evident and balanced, but not overwhelming.

Flavor is somewhat one-dimensional. Plenty of fresh berry fruit flavor and aroma. Alcohol is evident, and adds to the sweetness of this beer. A bit cloying.

Medium body makes this beer more drinkable that the alcohol content should suggest.

Overall a decent fruit beer, but could be better balanced.

3.9/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

P: 750ml bottle poured into a DFH signature glass.

A: A nice amber with red highligths and a single finger white head. Slighty cloudy. Lacing is solid and a bit of head sticks around the edges. Pretty.

S: Sweet malt and tart raspberries with the distinct aroma of alcohol. No discernible hop aroma.

T: Sweet up front, tart on the back-end with some nice raspberry flavor. Alcohol is evident and warms on the way down. A decent balance but a touch sweet for my tastes. The higher alcohol content adds to a spirit like quality.

M: Slick and full bodied, it coats your mouth in sweetness. Carbonation is on the light side but adds to the spirit like qualities of this beer.

O: This is a bold brew. I really love raspberries and this beer showcases them well. Although a bit sweet for my tastes, the overall balance is pretty good. Tasty in small quantities but it can quickly become overwhelming. Some bitter dark chocolate pairs well and cuts the sweetness a bit, give it a try!

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a 750ml brown bottle at home. Cool artwork on the front.

A: Deep amber, ruby coloring. Thin head that disappears pretty quickly.
S: Lots of fruity raspberry, sharp alcohol, and sweet malt.
T: The raspberry hits the palate first, very sweet, but not overly tart or sour. Followed by the huge ABV. Finishes with a small hop dryness. The flavor is good – the alcohol makes it a little tough.
M: Thick, syrupy, mouth-coating. Not a whole lot of carbonation.
D: Again, difficult with such a high level of alcohol.

I’d love to age this beer for a year or two. I think the alcohol would probably subside a little and mellow with the raspberry. I respect the style and what they’re going for – just not really my thing.

3.34/5  rDev -9.2%

I let this one sit for about an hour after taking it out of the fridge. It poured a cloudy orange color with a fair sized head that disappeared within about 60 seconds. No doubt about the raspberries in the aroma! Didn't smell much other than that, and it was pleasant. Taste was a surprise. The first thing I tasted was the alcohol and the warming was HOT! It had an interesting flavor, more bitter than sweet - like raspberries soaked in hop juice with a little hint of malt in the background. I didn't mind the taste, but I'm due to the heaviness and the alcohol this one's a little low on drinkability for me. Still, not a bad beer for a fruit beer, since the fruit wasn't too overwhelming. I'm pretty sure drinking this whole huge bottle will leave me with quite a buzz, making this one worth the $16 price tag!

4.27/5  rDev +16%

Pours a clear garnet with a small, quickly falling white head. Viniferous, sweet aroma. Taste is a smooth, ruby port with a hint of bitterness, and a sweet, tangy finish. Light, creamy mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

This is great as a dessert drink; awesome with cheese, panna cotta, etc. Hides its strength well.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From a 750 bottle on 3/11/06.

This pours a nice reddish/amber with a HUGE head that took some time to dissipate, leaving a lacy foam covering all the way down the side of the glass and not much else once it finally dissapated comepletely . Nice raspberry aroma with a hint of hops in the background. Overall a very subtle aroma. I thought this looked better than it tasted at first blush but it grew on me considerably over time. The hops were more prevalent in the flavor than they were in the smell but the alcohol came through more than anything else. Mouthfeel was not as heavy as you might expect out of an 18% ABV beer and it was also suprisingly drinkable considering the punch.

I wish this had come bottled with a cork because I'd like to put about half of it back in the fridge for another session. Too bad for me.

4.57/5  rDev +24.2%

Poured from bottle into a goblet of sorts. Nice color, exactly what one would expect with the pureed raspberries. Nice white head. Smelled pleasantly of berries and alcohol. First taste was very powerful. The alcohol give it almost a spicy/cinnamon flavor, which combines nicely with the sweetness of the raspberries. If one holds it in the mouth for a bit, allowing it to hit different parts of the tongue, the alcohol becomes more evident, but still goes down easy. Aftertaste is of berries and a bit of malt. Very drinkable, especially sitting outside on a hot sunny day. After about 1/4 of the bottle, I drank the rest while eating a roast beef panini, and it was an excellent combination. I think it would also go well with a chocolate torte or some other heavy meal or dessert. Can't wait to get another bottle of this!

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

Very fresh bottle, only about a month old.

Poured into a Corsendonk Christmas Ale goblet. Fairly cloudy amber color. Dissipated head, but nice ring and lacing.

Lots of alcohol in the aroma, but fresh fruit comes through as well.

I had this beer last spring and thought it was good, but getting it fresh this time truly made all the difference, as the fresh bottle REALLY has all the raspberry flavor still intact. Some suggestions of apple and pear come through, as were also apparent when I had it last spring. It has a nice hint of champagne-like tartness (tastes as though it may have been brewed with champagne yeast or something).

Mouthfeel is good for what this beer is... obviously there's a generous amount of alcohol heat (which keeps getting more prevalent as the beer warms), but that goes without saying. Nice spritzy carbonation too.

Buy this as fresh as you possibly can, and serve it at fridge temperature. It really is worth it. What a fantastic, warming, strong, flavorful brew this is. Have it at the end of the night, or with dessert - I paired it with home-made tiramisu, and it was truly exceptional. It makes a delicious (and less expensive) substitute for port wine. It's PORT BEER! I should copyright that name.

About $16 for a 750 mL

4.77/5  rDev +29.6%

2007 vintage:

Appearance: A dark rosy red, much like a cider
Smell: A basket of rasberries, salmonberries and a hint of pear
Taste: Covered a wide range of flavors, starting from sweet and ending in sour. This bottle is less fruity than a younger bottle that I've had, and has become far more complex over time.
Mouthfeel: Not much retention, but felt like a young scotch at times
Overal: I would highly recommend this beer, great as an after dinner drink with some friends. If you see if, pick up 2 bottles: one for now, the other for later (5-years later)

2.4/5  rDev -34.8%

this was a weird beer. it was cloudy with a very acidic and alcohol smell. the flavor was not as much raspberry as i would have expected. I was very excited to try this beer, but after tasting it i wish i didnt waste the emotion. the drinkability was straight to my drain.

3.89/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber in an English pub glass and pilsner glass. It has a decent head that last with some lacing, but who cares that much about appearance.

It smells amazing. Very sweet with tons of raspberry in it, just what I was expecting.

The taste though is lacking in my opinion. There is just too much of a brown sugar sweetness to it. The raspberry also tastes a little off in my opinion, but it might be due to the sweetness. To me it tastes almost like one of those blue or dark red tootsie roll lollipops. I wish there was more acidity to it like a real raspberry.

The mouthfeel is the worst thing about this beer. It is very hot due to the amount of alcohol and super sticky too from all the malt. It is a chore to get through more than maybe half of a 12 oz glass.

Overall, this beer does serve well as a dessert beer. Just make sure that you split it with somebody since its hard to get through.

3.43/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The 3 on taste is an average. The first sip for me took me back to my youth, taking liquid childrens' tylenol. Memories? Great. Taste. Ugh.

But this grew on me after a few more sips. Heavy alcohol throughout. I think cherries may have done this one more justice than the raspberries, but that's a personal preference.

I won't be seeking this one out. Glad I bought a single.

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

A: Had it on tap at Cock n Bull in Sarasota. Poured into an 8oz glass, with very little head that receded quickly. There was no lacing left on the glass. Pink/Red, not a typical beer color at all.
S: Smells of raspberry (surprise!), as well as some lighter malts, a bit of caramel. Could not smell any hops aromas.
T: I acknowledge that it is slightly difficult to make raspberry flavored products that don't taste medicinal... unfortunately, this one does taste medicinal. My first sip, I said "this tastes more like a mixed drink". While it did improve after the first sip and taste a bit better, the alcohol was very pronounced and not entirely well hidden. The raspberry was very tart, and it masked the malt and hop flavors, making it taste like a sweet raspberry mixed drink overall.
M: Alcohol was very forward, carbonation was light, and it was a bit sticky in the mouth.
D: It did get more drinkable as I drank, the first few sips were rather harsh and unenjoyable. That is somewhat to be expected for an 18% beer though. I am glad I tried it, but wouldn't be very likely to buy it again.

2.56/5  rDev -30.4%

The had at isn't exactly correct. More of a "bought at". A 750 ml capped brown champagne bottle dated 11/13/06 C. I purchased this bottle at the Rehoboth brewpub in the spring of 2007 if I recall correctly. It had been chilled or refrigerated since that moment. Drank it in a Chimay goblet. The laser etching in the bottom made a neat constant stream of bubbles. Appearance: crystal clear reddish orange. Smell: alcohol and cherries. Taste: Two words, Cherry Nyquil. Very strong hot alcohol. Off the charts chemical cherry flavor. Mouth feel: lighter than I expected. Almost a medium dry wine. Drinkability: During the first few sips I would say very low. But after half a glass it got easier.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It looks beautiful when it's in the glass, smells like raspberries and the initial sip is good. My only issue is the aftertaste. It's super boozy and to me a little metalic. It's 18% so definitely a sipping beer.

4.27/5  rDev +16%

I found this at Frisco's after looking all over town for it. I thought it reasonable at $19.95 a bottle (promo for DFH pint night) It poured a copper/bright bronze color, with a bit of head. It smells WONDERFUL. Light raspberry and maybe cherry aroma, but you can detect a hint of alcohol. The taste is what really made it stand out. I don't usually like fruit beers because of the sweetness. this had a great fruit flavor that evaporates on the tongue, I'm guessing due to the alcohol content. No sticky sweetness. Definitely could taste a bit of the alcohol but that didn't diminish it in the least. Very drinkable.

4.02/5  rDev +9.2%

My aged Fort poured a copperish red with a very thin film atop looking like a strong Belgian.

Real sweet aroma; the raspberries are up front, but the alcohol is noticed more than any
other ingredient.

A fruity explosion with raspberries battling against the alcohol and I have to say that the berries win the battle.

There is a rich, warming feel when I sip the Fort. Moderate carbonation.

A 750ml solo and I have no plans to go anywhere as this is going to put me on my ass without a doubt. Dogfish Head has the extreme beers down.

4.24/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured into an oversized wine glass which produced a fingers worth of head. Nice reddish amber color that had huge aroma of berries. Awesome tart raspberry flavor accompanied with the burn from the alcohol. Lots of sour in this that makes the mouth pucker and ends with a more subtle berry taste on the tongue. Had to take my time drinking this one because the alcohol and favors in this beer are so extreme. Not a fast drinking beer but I did enjoy the flavors in this one.

2.44/5  rDev -33.7%

well carbonated, head drops quickly (due to high alcohol as expected). color is light tannish leather.

smell has is fairly solvent-heavy, as expected for this high ABV, with hints of berry and herbal earthy notes. very iniviting. too bad it deteriorates from there.

taste? like running an emory board over your tongue. extremely one-dimensional, harsh and grainy, with no depth at all. you get to enjoy all the raspberry seed tannins with none of the actual raspberry flavors. even the residual sweetness of the base beer seems to get buried. I can't for the life of me imagine that this was what was intended; it tastes like an experiment gone horribly wrong.

mouthfeel is coating and full, with the expected high ethanol drying effects. the clean finish is at least some consolation for having to suffer through the awful flavor experience itself.

I am unimpressed. not completely, as I like the idea behind this beer, and I can think of numerous ways this could have turned out better. however, this emperor has no clothes, and I look forward to all the self-proclaimed beer geeks proclaiming the wonders of this beer to prove their beer geek status. hypocrites.

given the variability I have experienced with a couple other dogfish head brews, it's possible my bottle was a fluke, and that the vast majority of what made it into the market is better than the bottle I had. (which I ended up dumping the remaining contents of...)

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery