Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

ABV varies from 15-18%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
3.4/5  rDev -6.3%

Bottled in 2009. Poured from a bomber into a DFH snifter.

A - Red/Orange color. A bit hazy. Almost no head whatsoever.

S - Intense raspberry notes. The alcohol definitely comes through. Almost no hop aroma probably because the bottle is two years old.

T - Much like the nose there are intense raspberry flavors and you can definitely taste the alcohol. Some tartness from the raspberry. Relatively no hop flavor at all.

M - Medium bodied. I am left with a tangy tartness in my mouth long after drinking.

Overall if you have never had this beer you should try it at least once to say you did. Dogfish Head pushed the envelope with this one. If you can find a vintage bottle buy it. It is worth the money. (709 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

From time to time I get the chance to try the exotic, and Dogfish head stuff is usually pretty out there.
I was impressed by the look, smell, and taste. While a little fruity, it was still pretty good. It's difficult to describe exactly, but imagine a heavy hefeweizen with strong fruit-like undertones.
While I liked the taste, the moment the beer got to my stomach something said 'stop.' I felt that beer much more than I tasted it, and couldn't finish a whole glass. It wasn't just the high alcohol content either, the stuff was just too heavy for me. If you're into very heavy beers, and very fruity beers, the Fort is your dream. If not, though, take in small doses. This is definitely a sipper to be shared with a large group of people. (744 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +1.1%

The only keg we got in the DFW on tap at my favorite local pub-poured into a chimay goblet.

Pours ruby red with a nice reddish head. Smells very sweet-raspberry aroma really comes through. Tastes as sweet-I've had this in a bottle as well and the alcohol and overall sweetness is subdued on tap. The owner appearently cellared the keg for a few months which I'm sure has something to do with it. Nice malty backbone which helps to mellow the sweetness as well. Smooth and flavorful-I've never tasted anything quite like this. 18% abv was there but not as in your face as you'd think. Not one you could down all night-one was just enough for me.

Very happy I got the oppurtunity to try this on tap. Definately not to be missed if you get the chance. (752 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +14.9%

(A) Very Pink in color and actually changed in color as it was being poured. There was absolutely no head retention at all due to the high alcohol percentage. (thanks andy)

(S) Smell was awesome. Very strong and coud smell the fruit more than anything. Great Aroma!

(T) Simply Fantastic! I can taste the alcohol in it but the fruit flavor still overwhelms. Best fruit beer in a while!

(M) Very light mouthfeel. It left a slight film along my palate but the flavor still lingered after swallowed.

(D) A very drinkable beer! Best fruit beer I have had in a while. Would drink a whole bottle in one setting if it would kill me! (628 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -54.5%

It had a bit of a funky smell, definately some honey in there, very warming finish, taste is something in between a fruit beer and a mead, very little to no raspberry flavor, carbonation is a bit high and bites especially in the finish

Not something I would recomend to anyone to pick up, I am continually amazed by the low quality of offerings by DFH, seems everyone is always in love with their beers, its not always wise to take things to the absolute extreme, balance is the hallmark of a quality beer (506 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -13.2%

Appearance - rich amber/orange color.

Smell - RAz raz RAz. (and alcohol)

Taste - The alcohol is hidden quite well, with raspberry and malt predominant. A bit too sweet and cloying.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated and prominent heat Too thick and syrupy for my taste.

Drinkability - A little to boozy for me. The syrupy nature would really make me think twice

Serving type: bottle (376 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This is actually my second tasting. Both bottled on 11/13/06. 1st purchased from Total Wine and sampled 12/23/06. 2nd from Wine & Beer Westpark and sampled 1/27/07. Both times poured in to a wine glass.

A- amber red-orange, thin white head, little lacing.

S- raspberry of course, alcohol, sweet malt.

T- sweet raspberry, hot alcohol on my first tasting, not as hot one month later. fruity, sweet malt, honey.

M- thin to medium body, good carbonation.

D- This beer needs to age. Scores would have been higher with age imo. Not syruppy for it's sweetness. The alcohol was too hot on my first tasting, making it tought to drink. On my second tasting, the alcohol was toned down a bit, making it more enjoyable after only 1mos time. No too much raspberry flavor. No tartness like a framboise. This would be a good aperitif or sub for dessert wine. I'm putting a third bottle aside for another year or so. It should be great by then. (943 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -42.1%

After about a year of pondering the purchase of this beer, I finally caved and purchased a bottle of 07 this past Friday.

A: Murky brownish amber in color

S: Strangely vegetable-like and slightly sour aroma

T: Akin to a cheap sweetish wine with carbonation, a slight hint of raspberries, not sure where the ton of berries went to, definitely not into my bottle.

Mouthfeel: Average decent body, just not something that I want to keep in my mouth for too long.

Drinkability: I am halfway through my 1st glass and I can certainly feel the alcohol doing its work, unfortunately I cannot get past the peculiar vegetal off-taste of this brew.

I am supremely disappointed in this brew, if it wasn't for the $16 I would send this one along to the town sewer. I guess that I should have bought the Midas Touch.

Cheers (815 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

first thing: i cannot believe that this is an 18% beer. way, way too well balanced. however, i'll go along with the listed ABV, for now anyway.

visual: hazy strawberry blonde. moderate head and carbonation.

aroma: raspberries. simple, but good.

foretaste: raspberry extract-like. interesting. i like it.

mouthfeel: medium to heavy.

midpalate: raspberry and hop; alcohol (assuming it is really 18% ABV) extremely well hidden. perhaps a huge hopping rate to make this so drinkable?

aftertaste: pretty much raspberry extract. dry.

you'd expect such an extreme beer to be way malty, way sweet. this isn't. kudos to DFH.

buzz is hitting me now, shortly after downing this one rather quickly. it may actually be 18% ABV as listed. but as i wrote, very, very well balanced, regardless of actual ABV. a winner! (827 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -25.6%

2006 edition poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Copper colored with some red highlights. Good 1 to 1 1/2 finger head that lasts. Some lacing, but not a lot.

Smell - First impression is raspberry, then mingling with alcohol and yeast. It doesn't smell overly sweet.

Taste - Hints of raspberries, with less sweetness than I expected. And then I got hit with an alcohol bomb. The alcohol is way too pronounced in this one. I thought letting it sit around for 18 months would mellow it a bit. Obviously not. No balance at all. I like my beer to at least remind me of beer.

Mouthfeel - The high carbonation is great, but the alcohol is again just too much.

Drinkability - Between the price and the difficulty drinking, I really don't think too highly of this beer. I have had moonshine that is easier to drink.

This is not one of my favorite DFH beers. No balance or subtlety here. Try one of their other extreme beers instead. (929 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +9.4%

Really think not driving after this one is a good idea. A 25 ounce bottle is as strong as an 8-pack of Bud. Yeah me neither...don't drink Bud.

Stopped and paid $9 at a bottleshop near Pittsburgh. Good value for 25 ounces.

Looks OK with a slight blush to it.

Looking for the fruit and it was pleasing but didn't smell too overpowering.

Taste is a tour de force. I didn't recall this was an 18% beer. I thought it tasted pretty hot for a 12%. As you get into the beer you notice less alcohol and more berry flavor that seems real and not to sweet. I like it!

Mouthfeel was unremarkably.

Drinkability- "Danger Will Robinson!". My wife and I thought it was a big time brew. If you are in the mood for a full frontal assault...party on
You could definetly get lost in this beer.

We definetly will buy another bottle. (818 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thank you to ILOVESTOUTS for sending a great brew.
Poured a burnt amber orange with minimal head. Aroma was very mild, some raspberries, spices, and slight alcohol. Flavor was very mild, with some raspberry, candi sugar, malt and alcohol. I was skeptical from the other ratings but I thought it was very good. (315 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +0.3%

My hat goes off to the (2) folks who have actually purchased growlers of this stuff. Whoo!

A: This beer wins with is it's appearance. A very inviting reddish hue, it pours and settles to leave the drinker with absolutely no lace. Looks more like a carbonated wine than a beer in my pint glass.

S: The phenols are certainly present, as they should be with any 18%. I pick up: cranberries, cherries, and subtle wet hops. This one actually reminded me a lot of Burton Baton--they both give off an unmasked alcohol aroma.

T: The taste on this beer was pretty good, but nothing to write home about. Cranberries are present initially, followed by a warming alcohol/wine, contrasted by a nice balance of hops/malt. This beer was not just insipidly sweet; this beer had a very well rounded complexity that really developed as I sipped.

MF/D: Fort is, for an 18%, pretty damn drinkable. I was expecting a very sweet, almost syrupy quality to this beer, and was pleased to find a well balanced, high content, sharing-man's beer. (1,023 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +24.5%

Pours a ruby/amber color. Almost looks like a mix of grapefruit and apple juices. Minimal head the fizzles away.

Smells of sugary raspberries, alcohol, and just the slightest hint of hops.

Carbonation is felt on the tounge as well as a slight alcohol warmth followed up by a juicy/tart raspberry flavor. Hints of vanilla and caramel come through along with a bit of spice and hops. The raspberry flavor is very natural and almost more of a candied raspberry shortcake type flavor.

This would go great with a piece of rich creamy cheesecake to finish off the night and put you to bed! One of the most out there fruit beers I have ever tasted and it is oh so good! Thanks DFH! (683 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance: Pours a reddish-amber hue with very minimal head or lacing -- just too much alcohol to retain carbonation.

Smell: Raspberries (obviously), but also a heavy licorice smell that advertises the abv pretty well. It smells appropriately boozy.

Taste: At first glance, it almost tastes like someone mixed together raspberry juice and scotch -- very boozy, but with enough sweetness and hops to balance a bit. There is definitely a heavy aftertaste, but with this much alcohol you'd have to expect that.

Mouthfeel: Heavy and a bit syrup-y. I was definitely nursing this a bit -- it gets overwhelming in bigger gulps.

Drinkability: Between the high alcohol and the liquor-like taste and feel, I'm not sure I could drink more than one glass. But why would you need to? (777 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -6.6%

we were all excited to try this one and with a whopping 18% abv the dogfish head fort seemed like it might be one for the books. Maybe we built it up to much, but this beer was a little of a dissapointment. The advertised "over a ton of rasberries" fell a bit short; however, they did come through nicely in the smell. At first we didn't notice the alcohol but after a few sips it starts to build up in the back of the mouth. The mouthfeel kind of bounces back and forth between crisp and syrup. All in all a decent brew, but not worth the 15.99 a bottle. Side note: as it is warming the taste really does improve with a sort of rasberry puree. (644 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1 Year old bottle poured into a snifter glass

A: Deep orange-brown amber color. Two finger head pour, small head lingers around the rim. Less raspberry color than expected for such a very berry-based ale.

S: Booze and raspberry, but mostly booze. Alcohol content is obviously very strong, but does not create a terrible imbalance. Sweetness and berry flavor nicely compliment the high abv profile

T:Warming abv with tons of raspberry and sweetness, but in a way that keeps true to Dogfish head style. This is not your convenience-store-mainstream microbrew-raspberry ale. Very satisfying, lingering after taste.

M: Nice slick mouth coating of sweet, but boozy raspberry. To repeat myself, balance is surprising for such a strong berry flavor and alcohol content.

O: Better than I expected. 87/100 on the BA scale in my opinion. After aging this for a year I let me expectations fall to an over fruity thick wine as opposed to a raspberry ale. I would certainly buy this again if Dogfish head brewed it. America Strong ale with a nice berry profile (albeit from a man with plenty of berries in his diet). (1,109 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Pours a clean, deep orange color

S - Bright raspberry and alcohol

T - The alcohol is hidden quite well, with raspberry and malt predominant. Can seem a bit sweet and cloying.

M - Carbonated and warming as it goes down. A little thick and syrupy.

D - For sharing a bottle with a friend, I definitely recommend it. But the alcohol in it will creep up on you given how high alcohol it is. (393 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: It poured a very cloudy amber with a pink hue. Beautiful looking glass of beer. There was pretty much no head at all and the little it had dissipated fast.

S: Lots going on in my nose. Tons of fruity aromas. Seemed to have a tart smell, kind of weird feeling in my nostrils.

T: WOW. So boozy, and definitely all raspberries. Very sweet, a little too much for me. And by little... I mean a lot.

MF: The strong flavor tingles in your mouth. Almost feels like a raspberry fizzy candy. I don't think it drinks well at all, solely based on how much booze the flavor has.

O: I'd say it was worth trying and was great with a good meal but I'm a little disappointed in how much I had to spend to try it. Definitely not getting it again unless I hold a beer tasting with my friends. (780 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +11.8%

This really shocked the hell out of me. Considering that there's not much of anything to balance the 18% alcohol, it's really quite drinkable. Any other beer near that percentage that I have had is balanced by a large malt presence or has a really thick body. This is really more like mead than beer, and any meads with that much alcohol that I've had all drink really hot.

Pours a nice color, like a more translucent cherry juice. No head. Smells exactly like cherry Twizzlers. Slight alcohol taste up front, shifts into a fruit mead taste on the tongue, finishes a bit hot, but not in an offputting sort of way. No fusel alcohols detectable, which is really a testament to the great yeast handling done by the brewer. I could sip this all night. The amazing drinkability of this and of all the microdistilled products made at the brewpub are a true testament to the skills of the brewer/distiller there (and I'm such an ass for forgetting his name...I believe his first name is Mike).

Can't even imagine how awesome this would be with a couple of years under it's belt.

Pleasepleaseplease bottle it soon! (1,115 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +1.1%

Like another reviewer, I wanted to like this one better than I did. The fruit is nice, but it is more in the nose than on the palate, and the kick almost overwhelms everything. It was actually better after it had warmed a bit and lost some of its carbonation. I would drink it again, but not regularly, and more to share as a novelty than for the simple pleasure of drinking it. (378 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -33.6%

Raspberries and booze, that's what you'll get out of this one. Pours pinkish with a white head. Smells like it tastes, like raspberries and alcohol. The taste is dominated by the berry and the very warm alcohol. I was hoping for some more complexity with this one, but that's about it. Surprisingly I found this one easier to drink as I went along, that may have had something to do with the 18% strength. This one should almost be treated as an aperitif rather then any traditional beer. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't I'd buy it again for the very steep price they are asking for it. (587 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured into an oversized wine glass.

An amber-red, quite opaque hue with little to no head, fully as expected. Many appraisals mention a "boozy" note to the aroma, but I did not find this to be especially prevalent; those truly accustomed to barley wines and other high ABV products will find no undue surprises here. Hints of fruit/raspberries are abundantly evident, which are a credit to this product's traditional December distribution schedule - perfect for the holidays.

A medium to full-bodied mouth feel with the anticipated tingle that accompanies a high ABV offering. I strongly encourage you to swish it a bit in order to fully appreciate this. Take a moment to allow the alcohols and fruit content to permeate your palate; I assure you it will be QUITE worth it.

Taste reveals a pleasantly robust raspberry flavor with a nice interaction between the obvious Belgian Ale type base. Pair this creation with a dark chocolate, say an 86% cacao offering as I went with, and you certainly won't go wrong. While I was fortunate enough to pair Fort with a "greasier" poultry, duck, on one occasion, I prefer its interaction with dark chocolate. The raspberry notes and Belgian brewing characteristics virtually beg for an ultra high dark chocolate intensity compliment.

The bottom line? While I acknowledge that I have much to learn, if you seek to become a true beer connoisseur, as I do, appreciate the experience of this product for what it is. Is it the absolute top of the line in the high ABV category? Not yet. Will it deliciously open your mind to the possibilities of what can be accomplished when enlightened minds prevail in the brewing process? Unabashedly, yes! Respect the experience itself, as well as what you're about to get into overall, pair it well and keep an open mind and I guarantee that your "Respect Beer" mantra will be elevated to the quintessential next level. (1,897 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -27.8%

Was very excited to try this brew.

A:Cloudy appearance, golden with a touch of red. Almost like an amber unfiltered wheat.

S:Smell was not what I had hoped. Very strong smell unfortanatly more familier with cheap wine than a high gravity beer. Obvious fruity tones with a malty underlying scent. The alcohol content was very apparent.

T: Again matched the smell. Unique but reminded me of a cheap white wine much more than I had hoped. Very intense alcohol taste but finished well, malty and sweet.Barely wine type sweetness and sourness, a little more hops would help.

M: Low carbonation, bitter, dry, but finished well.

D: Not for the casual beer drinker. Far to strong of alcohol flavor for casual fruit beer drinkers and too unique for more conservitive beer lovers. For a seasoned High gravity man, went down fairly smooth.

Overall: I was glad I tried this. I am a huge Dogfish head fan but this one I wouldn't have again. Too pricey and just not as good as I had hoped. I will say however that given the task at hand ( ton of raspberries) they did about as good of job as possible. (1,096 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +24.5%

Appearance -Pinkish amber color topped by a half finger white head.

Smell -Imagine standing in a field of raspberries on a cool morning. Now multiply by 10. Slightly tart, slightly sweet, very boozy.

Taste -MMM...raspberries, funk, raspberries, booze, raspberries, malt, booze, raspberries. Not cloyingly sweet, not too tart. A nice balance.

Mouthfeel -A bit heavier than expected but the raspberry, booze, funk and tartness dance around the tongue.

Drinkability -More drinkable than expected. Plowed through the 750 mls on my own over the course of a couple of hours and never got burnt out of the taste.

An enjoyable "extreme" beer. Not for everyday but fun every now and then. Great work Dogfish Head!!! (711 characters)

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery