Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
chumba526

Oregon

2.23/5  rDev -39.4%

2008 bottle.

Appears murky brownish red. It looks like carbonated red muddy swamp water. It also look s like a blood infused iced coffee drink. There is no real head to this beer.

It smells of brown sugar, rust, sweet malt and sweet raspberries. It does not have a complex raspberry smell like many other raspberry beers do.

It tastes of sweet malts. I get a bit of a brown sugar flavor. There is a raspberry flavor that is muddled in with a strong alcohol flavor. The finish of this beer is pretty nasty. It finishes with a strong rusty flavor.

it has a thick mouthfeel.

I feel like I have rusty nails in my mouth this rusty taste just will not go away. Drinking this makes my stomach turn. An interesting concept though the result is pretty poor. I can taste some berry flavor but the alcohol taste and the rustiness makes this beer not appealing.

My dad kind of likes it but he is kind of an alcoholic anyhow!

06-19-2011 22:35:59 | More by chumba526
photomike

12-15-2011 05:14:47 | More by photomike
DrStiffington

This is the third time I've bought one of these bad boys. Pours from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip glass. Head disappears quickly, leaving behind a dark golden brew. Smells fruity and sweet. Tastes of rasberries and alcohol. Lots of burn on the back of the throat as it goes down, but I like that. Has a thick, cloying sweetness to it, but again, I like that in this beer. Good thing I'm splitting this one with my wife or I might be on the floor afterwards.

02-18-2012 00:13:56 | More by DrStiffington
davet100

08-28-2013 19:39:34 | More by davet100
Gyle41386

South Carolina

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

Reddish/pink lemonade pour. Not much going on in the foam or lacing departments.

Smells like a raspberry kids drink, but highly alcoholic. Like a boozy juice box. Sign me up.

Flavor is pretty much along those same lines. Smooth, sweet raspberries, with a hot, somewhat numbing finish. Booze is very apparent, though I wouldn't have guessed 18%.

Smooth, syrupy texture. Leaves a light tickle in the back of the throat. Hard to drink more than about four ounces of this one, but it's still enjoyable. I was pleasantly surprised that this was a fairly simple (well, as simple as an 18% raspberry beer can be) Dogfish Head offering...I was expecting something much more, off-center I guess, but that was not the case.

02-26-2010 02:05:06 | More by Gyle41386
leodarko

03-03-2012 19:52:09 | More by leodarko
ne0m00re

3.4/5  rDev -7.6%

06/01/10- Had a 750 mL bottle dated 07/10/07
A: Reddish brown, cloudy, with a good tan head.
S: Boozy and fruity like port with a caramel sweetness, dark fruits, and raisin, and overall sticky sweet.
T: Very sweet red wine and port, raspberry caramel, very little moldy hops in the background, almost like framboise with a slight banana character.
M: Sticky, very slightly frothy, but mostly spritzy carbonation.
D: Not very. This one is pretty harsh.

08-16-2010 14:10:40 | More by ne0m00re
pavpav12

12-02-2011 03:50:27 | More by pavpav12
bespin15

Washington

02-10-2012 13:55:29 | More by bespin15
blakesell

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%

On tap at Gravity Head '08 in New Albany, IN. Poured into a 4oz large shot glass, thankfully, not 10oz like everything else.

Appearance- Surprisingly has head for such a big beer. Head was a finger thick upon arrival, but it still lingers fifteen minutes later, and clings to the sides of the glass. Looks like baby gots some legs on her as well!

Smell- Raspberry and BIG alcohol. Smells like a raspberry liquor, which I guess essentially it is. Still is quite malty and has the aspects of still being a beer.

Taste- Whoa. When I tried to go for a large sip, it caught the throat with a firey grip. Raspberry is thin but alcohol remains BIG. Raspberry burn lingers and does not dissipate. I like this beer, but it's definitely not for keeps.

Mouthfeel- Thick, full bodied, warming and palate destroying. I would call this a one time brew for drinking.

Drinkability- 3 may be a little high, and it was nice and warming, but it was still a good beer. I don't think I'll be revisiting it anytime soon, but it was not a bad beer by any means.

03-05-2008 19:48:29 | More by blakesell
heysuz

Indiana

02-12-2012 17:31:03 | More by heysuz
BeerZack

1.85/5  rDev -49.7%

Murky orange, almost amber color with little ring of bubbles that does lace.

Smell is very intense booze. [I had to let this one "breathe" for an hour+ before I could stand to smell and drink it.] Sugary sweetness and whiffs of perfumy dried fruit. Still very hot.

Syrupy sugary thick maltiness reminds me of a Belgian Quad with a dose of cheap fruit wine. Overly sweet and alcoholic, very medicinal impression (cherry cough syrup).

The drinkability on this one is very low. The alcohol even burns the tongue; like you're drinking MD 20/20 from a fancy bottle. This one has got to get better with age because it is pretty much undrinkable now.

04-21-2008 06:24:46 | More by BeerZack

01-20-2014 03:15:57 | More by GreyGhost4
cubedbee

Maryland

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

$15.99 for a 750 ml bottle, certainly pricey, but I just got a promotion and so I'm splurging. Pours a glowing ruby-amber with a finger off off-white head that quickly reduces to a ring, some spotty lacing left behind on the glass. Nose is sweet berries--rasberry, cherry, blackberry, with a slight whiff of alcohol. Taste has a big rasberry component, not artificial and syrupy, slightly tart. The rasberry is overlaid on a smooth wheaty malt, with a definite alcohol bite and a fairly dry finish. Medium/full bodied with a moderate carbonation. This is a pretty decent fruit beer, hiding the abv extremely well and making a very high alcohl beer rather easy to drink.

01-17-2006 00:12:49 | More by cubedbee
dominic4beer

04-26-2014 00:15:28 | More by dominic4beer
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

Pours out a rose colour with minal head and some lacing. Nose- raspberry jam and honey. Taste- yeesh- hot boozy sweet raspberries. Fuck, that's not good for business. Its just too damn sweet. Its the same sweetness I've not enjoyed in some other DFH offerings. The raspberries are nice enough, but the its just too hot and sickly sweet. Not enjoyable whatsoever. Why did I crack this one by myself? Better yet, why didn't I buy two bottles of raspberry tart that were in eye sight of this abomination??? Not a happy drinking experience. I think if this had been toned down a tad it would have turned out better. good for DFH to experiment, just don't bottle it and charge me almost $20 for it!

10-14-2007 01:11:18 | More by oakbluff
Viciousknishs

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

01-31-2012 22:04:29 | More by Viciousknishs
ILiveOffHops

New Hampshire

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

I've been looking forward to Fort since it first came out. I was anticipating trying it at the EBF, but unfortunately it was all gone by the 2nd session. I picked this bottle up at Marty's yesterday.

Appearance - Red-orange color, white frothy head, leaves a thin white sticky layer.

Smell - BOOZY, very slight raspberry flavor, little malty, little hoppy

Taste - The 18% ABV hits you in the face. Warm, fusel alcohol forces me to take small sips. The raspberry flavor comes thru softly. Even so, this is a strong ale first and a fruit beer second.

Mouthfeel - Lots of warmth from the alcohol, slightly sticky, but not overly so.

Drinkability - The alcohol really limits the grade in this category. I am going to drink 3/4 of the entire 22 oz bottle, but only because I can do so over 3 hours and I can be drunk for the night. It's really not overly thick, sweet, or sticky. It's the alcohol that makes it slow to drink.

Overall I like this beer, but the price and high alcohol level make it for special occasions only.

02-20-2006 01:00:04 | More by ILiveOffHops

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

03-09-2013 05:22:39 | More by jlindsey
roblowther

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

750ml bottle, served in a Chimay goblet. It pours cloudy golden brown, with a effervescent head that quickly dissolves. The smell hits me before I even get my nose near the class, the carbonation propelling it far & wide. Its full of fruit, raspberries, apricots, red wine and a nuttiness. I like it! The taste is like port wine with a sharp raspberry edge. Lots of caramel and fruit. Very good but it tastes young. I think I'll have to buy another bottle & age it, I'd love to see how the sugars mellow over time. Strong alcohol finish. Wow! I feel that one. The mouthfeel is syrupy but crisp, just velvety smoooth. The drinkability is good but this one needs pairing. Perhaps with a strong cheese or some dark chocolate.

02-01-2008 00:39:04 | More by roblowther