Microbrew Invitational

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Reviews: 548 | Ratings: 1,232
4.27/5  rDev +16%

I found this at Frisco's after looking all over town for it. I thought it reasonable at $19.95 a bottle (promo for DFH pint night) It poured a copper/bright bronze color, with a bit of head. It smells WONDERFUL. Light raspberry and maybe cherry aroma, but you can detect a hint of alcohol. The taste is what really made it stand out. I don't usually like fruit beers because of the sweetness. this had a great fruit flavor that evaporates on the tongue, I'm guessing due to the alcohol content. No sticky sweetness. Definitely could taste a bit of the alcohol but that didn't diminish it in the least. Very drinkable.

4.02/5  rDev +9.2%

My aged Fort poured a copperish red with a very thin film atop looking like a strong Belgian.

Real sweet aroma; the raspberries are up front, but the alcohol is noticed more than any
other ingredient.

A fruity explosion with raspberries battling against the alcohol and I have to say that the berries win the battle.

There is a rich, warming feel when I sip the Fort. Moderate carbonation.

A 750ml solo and I have no plans to go anywhere as this is going to put me on my ass without a doubt. Dogfish Head has the extreme beers down.

4.24/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured into an oversized wine glass which produced a fingers worth of head. Nice reddish amber color that had huge aroma of berries. Awesome tart raspberry flavor accompanied with the burn from the alcohol. Lots of sour in this that makes the mouth pucker and ends with a more subtle berry taste on the tongue. Had to take my time drinking this one because the alcohol and favors in this beer are so extreme. Not a fast drinking beer but I did enjoy the flavors in this one.

2.44/5  rDev -33.7%

well carbonated, head drops quickly (due to high alcohol as expected). color is light tannish leather.

smell has is fairly solvent-heavy, as expected for this high ABV, with hints of berry and herbal earthy notes. very iniviting. too bad it deteriorates from there.

taste? like running an emory board over your tongue. extremely one-dimensional, harsh and grainy, with no depth at all. you get to enjoy all the raspberry seed tannins with none of the actual raspberry flavors. even the residual sweetness of the base beer seems to get buried. I can't for the life of me imagine that this was what was intended; it tastes like an experiment gone horribly wrong.

mouthfeel is coating and full, with the expected high ethanol drying effects. the clean finish is at least some consolation for having to suffer through the awful flavor experience itself.

I am unimpressed. not completely, as I like the idea behind this beer, and I can think of numerous ways this could have turned out better. however, this emperor has no clothes, and I look forward to all the self-proclaimed beer geeks proclaiming the wonders of this beer to prove their beer geek status. hypocrites.

given the variability I have experienced with a couple other dogfish head brews, it's possible my bottle was a fluke, and that the vast majority of what made it into the market is better than the bottle I had. (which I ended up dumping the remaining contents of...)

3.52/5  rDev -4.3%

On tap at Rehoboth in a tulip. Color seemed light pink to me, though the bar was dark. Little to no head to speak of.

Nose was very nice. Definite alcohol. I guessed cherry as the fruit, but my wife said raspberry, after reading more here, looks like she was right. Still, seemed like marachinos in alcohol to me.

Taste up front was sweet, no hops to speak of and brother, let me tell you, big alcohol in the end. I think I could have done the flamethrower act after this one. After the alcohol dissipates, it does remain somewhat sweet however.

Overall, another great experiment from DFH. I would never drink more than one of these and I don't know what this would be like in a bottle, but an interesting concoction and one I'm glad I tried none the less.

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%

Poured a cloudy red-amber with a little head that left fast. Smells of raspberries and sweetness. Tastes of raspberries and sweetness. Enough of the alcohol comes through to let you know that it's there, but it surprisingly does not at all overwhelm the taste. It's very light on the tongue, compares well to a sparkling fruit wine. I could drink this all night, except the price would break my wallet, and the alcohol would break my balance. It would go very well with a dark chocolate dessert that wasn't too sweet.

2.12/5  rDev -42.4%

First let me say that I hate the fact that I am about trash a Dogfish beer - they got me into craft brew but it needs to be done for FORT.

Shared a bottle poured into a Dogfish goblet.

A - Average what one might expect from a fruit beer. Thick, syrupy.

S - Not bad, nice rasberries with alcohol prelude following that should have been a warning.

T - AHHHH!!!! No balance at all. I love barleywine so it had nothing to do with the high alc but this was just a mess. Overwhelming alc with a fake bitter rasberry cough medicine taste. Had flashbacks of having a cold as a young kid and being forced to take medicine.

M - A miserable miserable experience. Actually opened a barleywine to chase this beer.

D - Could not finish. Don't know what went wrong with this beer. I have another in the cellar and will try aging several years as this first one was drunk very young.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Probably way to excited for this brew.

A: Foggy like the rest of there high ABV brews. Deep golden red cherry-like. Looks great, just not crazy about the fog. Guess it comes with a brew of this caliber.

S: Surprisingly not as intense as suspected. Malty sweet, alcohol and some sour fruity esters. Similar to the aromatics of DFHs 120 Minute. Raspberry aroma is faint but present.

T: The smell exactly. Intense booze upfront, followed by malty sweetness rounded off by and intense raspberry sourness. But not an overwhelming SOURNESS, just enough to round off the rest of the beer. Wine-like to say the least with hints of brown sugar. Imagine DFHs Olde School Barleywine with a push of raspberries. The bitterness is what threw me off a bit, not crazy about it. Bitterness without the beauty of the floral citrus love of the hops turns me off... just a little bit. More hops please!

M: Mild to low carbonation. Bitter alcoholic like feel. Lingers on the palate for no longer than 10 minutes. Perfect...

D: Relatively even and close to the drinkability of a Sam Adams. Which will hurt you.

Overall: With just a pinch more of hoppy goodness I could have enjoyed this beer above and beyond. I love raspberries, but have decided they should stay away from the comeliness of what we love as beer. This stays above average due to Sams innovative style but receives no further. Wouldnt buy again and so far, DFHs 120 is the best of the these killer IMPERIAL styles. Unless you are absolutely craving raspberries or just want to cover all things Dogfish, I wouldnt bother. Save some cash and just buy there 90 Minute.

3.97/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured a wildflower honey color. Minimal white head, with minimal lacing. This was expected, given the high alcohol content, and the fact its a fruit beer.

Smelled of raspberry and wine. Undertones of vodka. Smelled very nice overall, the alcohol was forgivable due to the alcohol content.

Taste was of raspberry, sweet wine, and alcohol. Are there hops there? Any malt? For a fruit beer, this was however great. I like fruit beers fruity.

Mouthfeel was alright. A little thin.

Very drinkable, if you like strong drinks, and you hold your alcohol well. It would be better if the alcohol was cut back a bit. But then again, this is DFH, so rock on.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

When I saw a few 25 oz. bottles of this stuff on the shelf, I felt compelled to grab one. Hype or not, this beer demanded a test drive. Poured into a wine glass a crystal clear medium amber, forming a short fluffy head that never completely went away. The bubbles float slowly to the surface from start to finish, foreshadowing the thickness of this beer. The first component of the aroma I notice is a lightly malty, sweet alcohol --almost like champagne or a sweet white wine. The second is raspberries, but not terribly large in the forefront and not too sweet. The taste is strong, winey, and complex. Yes, it tastes sort of like a beer, but it tastes more like a chardonnay. In addition to the sour raspberry flavors, there are hints of pears, grapes, and the banana fruitiness of wheat malt. The mouthfeel is unsurprisingly thick and very fizzy. There's also a prominent heat.

I like Fort, and despite reading a lot of the hype (and anti-hype), its flavor is a surprise to me. It may be something that I only try once, or at most grab on a rare occassion, but it is definitely worth picking up. Like many Dogfish products, it makes for a perspective-widening beer experience.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

Dogfish head Fort ABV: 18% Bottled in 2008!

A: Beautiful looking beer. Has a redish to yellow tint to it. minimal to no head or lacing.

S: The smell is of fruits(mostly raspberries) and red wine. This beer smells and taste sweet! Has a very unique smell and very advertising.

T: Taste of a very wonderful sweet red wine. Has a raspberry taste with a hint of wheat, hops and malts. This beer is very balanced, but has a distinctive bite... The alcohol!!

M-D: From what I said earlier has a balanced taste and the flavors of the beer just go together greatly. This beer is a sharing beer... I am, of course, sharing this with my bro. This beer I would drink only one a night and have others to sip on. Good "Chilling" beer!!

4.37/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a snifter

A dark raspberry hued fog rises from the bottle and gently floats down the neck to dissipate into the surrounding air. I tilt the glass and pour not hurriedly, the beer swells a golden mahogany and instantly a sweet aroma with hints of tea and raspberry assaults my nostrils. The carbonation powers out a thin dark brown/white head that dissolves into the alcohol intensive liquid. What is left of the head clings pensively to the walls of the glass until it finally rejoins it's mates in the warm alcoholic fluid bubbling in the glass.

Aside from the overwhelming blended fruit essence that attacks the nostrils there is an almost equally alcoholic quality to this drink that accentuates the assault from the sweet fruit and candied sugars. Less obvious is the sour aspect of the fruit that gives it a tea like aroma, a quaint hop bitterness and a spiciness add to the warming almost medicinal aromas wafting from this beer.

The aroma of this beer is an integral part of tasting it, as the flavour is not as "in your face" with delicate distinctions between the different ingredients. Immediately the overwhelming sweetness, and alcohol phenols of the odors present themselves more delicately in the flavour of this beer. The slight hop bitterness and sour notes present in the aroma are more present in the flavour and create a very gratifying contrast to the sweet raspberry chocolate cordial taste. This drink is a dessert in and of itself, a chocolate covered raspberry tart. The malt in this beer harkened back memories of a chocolate stout I recently had but this was dark raspberry chocolate with a contrasting tartness. This scrumptious dessert is finished off with a slight bitter citrusy hop flavour and warm spices (much of what I would expect in a Strong Belgian Ale). Eventually the tartness almost completely takes over and the alcohol dries the palate leaving a dry spice on the breath.

Silky texture as it enters the mouth, instantaneously it warms the soul then carbonation hits the palate taking your attention away from the intense alcohol and raspberry flavours present and reminding you that this is a beer. A slight puckering is produced from the bitter tartness that is aesthetically pleasing as a complement to the warming alcohol and sweetness present. Aesthetically this beer very much reminds me of a concoction of champagne and Chambord.

More drinkable than the first waft would have led me to believe. I had this with a chocolate fondue, pound cake, and strawberries and this beer, a dessert in itself, went perfectly. Not a beer to drink by yourself, a very share worthy beer whether it be with friends or a loved one (as was my case) and most certainly not a session beer.

3.4/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

750ml bottle poured into a mug.

Slightly cloudy and amber in color. Viscous. About 1/4" thin head that instantly vanished. No lacing.

Scents of fruity candy and sherry. Not as much raspberry as I expected. But, of course it is there. A bit hop heavy for this style, I think. I'm also tasting honey, and hint of spearmint.

Moderate to heavy sweetness with a slightly sticky mouthfeel. The sweetness is a little overbearing at first. But, quickly calms down. Alcohol comes on strong in the finish. Very warming for such a fruit-filled ale.

This is basically a one-trick pony. Not too much complexity. But, done well nonetheless. As with most all DH stuff, a unique experience.

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

It poured a dark yellow with a red tint in the light looked nice like you would expect a raspberry beer if you know what that would look like kinda nice i guess looked good small head with lacing.

The smell was nice with raspberries and alcohol dominating. Hops on the back side.

The taste is heavily alcohol and fruit with very sweet notes some tastes are hard to pick out but it is kinda nice definitely good for a fruit beer.

The mouthfeel is kinda heavy and decent reminds me of a barley wine. the drinkability is low and probably couldnt finish more than a pint or two cause it sits so heavy with the large alcohol content. Good fruit beer and would recommend it if you want to try one

3.04/5  rDev -17.4%

Overall, this beer was just o.k. The least attractive aspect of this beer is its aroma. It falls somewhere in between flinstones vitamins and robitussin. The raspberry scent comes through slightly, but the alcohol overpowers everything. Pours a nice pinkinsh amber with minimal head. The flavor of the rasperries is faint, but pleasant. There is a nice malt profile and some hops, but the flavors are dominated by the alcohol. I understand what they were going for with this beer, and I love big beers as much as the next BA, but this particular brew could probably benefit from a lower ABV, just to let some of the other flavors shine through.

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

Bought on January 10 2007. Sampled June 20 2008. Aging for around one year 6 months. Intial pour leaves little lace and head. Cloudy rusty color. Smells of berries with some warming alcohol. Sediment was seen on first pour!

Initial taste is of semisweet berries. Carbonation is low. Semidry with a warming alcohol down the throat. Amazing complexity of flavors. Spicy, peppery, sweety, and the nice smooth alcohol drip down the throat. Alcohol is being felt within the five minutes of writing this review.

Drinkability lowers a little with a high ABV even though it's not tasted much. Recommended for any extreme beer drinker or any drinker of beer.

2.76/5  rDev -25%

A - Very colorful beer, beautiful aray of colors, amber, some shades of pink, and some delicate red tones,I am sure from the rasberries. Very eye catching in appearance.

S - Solid aroma of fresh off the vine rasberries, with a touch of a freshly popped botte of chanpagne. This smell reminds me of a New Years celebration.

T - An explosive hit of fresh pureed rasberrries, there are a few citrus tasting notes in there but mostly fermented rasberries. Slight taste of some wood/oak notes with the champagne flavor left to linger on your tounge.

M - Ok I am going to make my champagne reference again. Yes this beer was very bubbly and dry, like a fine french champange. (I am now done with champagne references)

D - Not my personal favorite but I have to try everything. There was a little to much rasberry flavor/sweetness. I know that this is a fruit beer but in my opinion I did not care for the the sweetness that Fort had to it, like I said not my favorite but it is ok. Good beer to have after dinner in combination with some dark chocolate.

4.02/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottled 10/23/15; poured into a snifter. Deep orange color veering slightly towards light red. Minimal head that quickly settled away.

Aroma is sweet berries with maybe a hint of malt. Giving the glass a swirl liberates some light alcohol notes that blend with the berries. Mouthfeel is rich, though noticeably light on the carbonation.

Taste is fruity with a light tartness that balances and makes the beer enjoyable. It's much closer to a mild lambic than the much boozier tasting 120 minute, World Wide Stout or Olde School. There is a touch of sweetness, but not at all cloying or medicinal.

Overall this is much lighter than I expected; more in the nose than the palate. Not to say it's a flavorless beer, just less robust than I expected from a Dogfish 'big' beer. It's enjoyable, though I think there are some light lambics that match its quality and are easier to find than this occasional rarity.

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle (2011 date stamp) into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Definitely a beer that you have to let warm, right out of the fridge it was harsh, overly sweet and alcoholic... definitely disappointing. Notes are from once it's warmed a bit.

A: Pours a deep amber with bright red notes. Absolutely beautiful. Little to no head, a far bit of sticky lacing with some strong staying power.

S: Sweet, sugary, raspberries. Intense.

T: Very sweet, with raspberry dominating the flavor profile. Alcohol is very present, but not in a bad way. Once it warmed, it was more balanced. The complexity of the sweet v. tartness of the raspberries shined through.

M: Syrup-y, which somewhat hinders the drinkability. Mild carbonation. Nothing to really cut the sweetness. Because of the thick quality of the beer, the taste lingers, which is unexpectedly pleasant.

O: At first sip, I was ready to dump the bottle. Letting it warm allowed this beer to really shine - the complexity of the raspberry combined with the strong malty backbone made for a fun drinking experience. Very glad I had someone to share it with though, because at ~18% ABV, the whole bottle would have knocked me out.

3.27/5  rDev -11.1%

Kept outside in a snow pack in Breckenridge Colorado until served. Served in a Chimay Tulip glass.

A - Rich cherry wood color with tints of orange. Light head retreats quickly leaves no lacing. Looked a bit cloudy however was probably from the temperature.

S - Strong Raspberry aroma right off, very sweet alcohol smell with a hint of hops.

M - Very fizzy, light on the palate and clears quickly.

T - Overwhelmingly alcohol, at first noticeable only lightly, as the beer warms alcohol more prevalent and overpowers the raspberry. Mineral hits of Iron and tart ester. Back of palate picks up the very tart almost sour taste.

D - This one seems as though it needs to be paired with a raspberry dessert or possibly a raspberry appetizer as that will help bring it out in this beer. Should be shared as in the time it takes to drink the bottle it will have warmed to the point at which the alcohol is overpowering.

Overall I would suggest this one for a light 8 ounce service among a group for a raspberry cheesecake dessert as the raspberry needs to be enhanced and the sour/tartness on the palate neutralized.

1.42/5  rDev -61.4%

This beer is horrendous. I love dogfish head beers and am making a trip to the brewery in the coming weeks, me and my friend buy up any varieties we come across in distributors because we love DFH so much. That being said, this beer to me was undrinkable, expecting a fruit bomb, it was more like a straight alcohol taste, with a slight hint of raspberries, it was the definiton of "too much", although i know alot of time and effort was put into this beer, I will never buy it again, put it this way, it was so bad I dumped it down the drain after about 5 minutes. big miss.

1.64/5  rDev -55.4%

2009 bottle - pours a cloudy orangeish color, a little bit of head, which disappears quickly. Smells really astringent, just like rubbing alcohol. Not a pleasant smell at all. Can smell a little bit of raspberries but they are completely overhwelmed by the alcohol. Taste is just like the smell...the raspberries are not even very pleasant. It tastes like a mix of raspberry soda and moonshine. Just awful. I took a few mouthfulls and then drainpoured the rest. Just a mess of a beer, I highly doubt that more aging would improve this beer much.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

1 pint 9 0z. bottle split with jramey2

A: Pours a bright reddish brown, can't see through it. Not much head.

S: Smells like sour raspberries.Think I detect a bit of yeast in the smell as well.

T. Tastes like raspberries and alcohol. Not sour like in the smell, a bit sweet, rather The high ABV doesn't mask it's presence so well likein the Raison D'Extra.

M:Medium body, more carbonation than I expected.

D: About a drinkable as a 18% ABV beer can be.

The world's strongest fruit beer is another good offering from Dogfish Head.

4.46/5  rDev +21.2%

A luxurious treat....the smell is of raspberries and alcohol, not surpisingly....mouthfeel is a little thick at first but finishes drier....The alcohol is well-masked, I find, and I would find it hard to believe another recent reviewer's contention that the alcohol is higher than 18%...I've nearly finished a bottle and am still feeling fairly coherent. Altogether the flavor is very pleasing--the raspberry taste dominates without at all becoming cough-syrupy. I plan to have this again, but with a) friends and b) some sort of dessert.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Served from a 750ml. bottle into a snifter just under cellar temp. Bottled date is 11/13/2006

A - Poured a finger and a half light pinkish / off white head. The head settled down to a drinkable level very quick with some lasting lacing. Color is a clear reddish orange with a few specks of sediment.

S - Aromas of what else? Raspberries!! Light alcohol present but nowhere near what I expected out of 18%

T – Again what else raspberries!! Some bitterness present in the finish. Very sweet.

M – Texture is light and bubbly. What I would consider a clean finish, almost crisp.

D - I’m a big DFH fan. This isn’t one of my favorites though. I just had to give it a chance, too sweet for my pallet. Luck I split it with a couple of friend because I couldn’t have finished the bottle myself. Even though it wasn’t my favorite DFH I’d still recommend giving it a taste.

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery