Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

A: Had it on tap at Cock n Bull in Sarasota. Poured into an 8oz glass, with very little head that receded quickly. There was no lacing left on the glass. Pink/Red, not a typical beer color at all.
S: Smells of raspberry (surprise!), as well as some lighter malts, a bit of caramel. Could not smell any hops aromas.
T: I acknowledge that it is slightly difficult to make raspberry flavored products that don't taste medicinal... unfortunately, this one does taste medicinal. My first sip, I said "this tastes more like a mixed drink". While it did improve after the first sip and taste a bit better, the alcohol was very pronounced and not entirely well hidden. The raspberry was very tart, and it masked the malt and hop flavors, making it taste like a sweet raspberry mixed drink overall.
M: Alcohol was very forward, carbonation was light, and it was a bit sticky in the mouth.
D: It did get more drinkable as I drank, the first few sips were rather harsh and unenjoyable. That is somewhat to be expected for an 18% beer though. I am glad I tried it, but wouldn't be very likely to buy it again.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber in an English pub glass and pilsner glass. It has a decent head that last with some lacing, but who cares that much about appearance.

It smells amazing. Very sweet with tons of raspberry in it, just what I was expecting.

The taste though is lacking in my opinion. There is just too much of a brown sugar sweetness to it. The raspberry also tastes a little off in my opinion, but it might be due to the sweetness. To me it tastes almost like one of those blue or dark red tootsie roll lollipops. I wish there was more acidity to it like a real raspberry.

The mouthfeel is the worst thing about this beer. It is very hot due to the amount of alcohol and super sticky too from all the malt. It is a chore to get through more than maybe half of a 12 oz glass.

Overall, this beer does serve well as a dessert beer. Just make sure that you split it with somebody since its hard to get through.

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

The had at isn't exactly correct. More of a "bought at". A 750 ml capped brown champagne bottle dated 11/13/06 C. I purchased this bottle at the Rehoboth brewpub in the spring of 2007 if I recall correctly. It had been chilled or refrigerated since that moment. Drank it in a Chimay goblet. The laser etching in the bottom made a neat constant stream of bubbles. Appearance: crystal clear reddish orange. Smell: alcohol and cherries. Taste: Two words, Cherry Nyquil. Very strong hot alcohol. Off the charts chemical cherry flavor. Mouth feel: lighter than I expected. Almost a medium dry wine. Drinkability: During the first few sips I would say very low. But after half a glass it got easier.

4.28/5  rDev +16.3%

I found this at Frisco's after looking all over town for it. I thought it reasonable at $19.95 a bottle (promo for DFH pint night) It poured a copper/bright bronze color, with a bit of head. It smells WONDERFUL. Light raspberry and maybe cherry aroma, but you can detect a hint of alcohol. The taste is what really made it stand out. I don't usually like fruit beers because of the sweetness. this had a great fruit flavor that evaporates on the tongue, I'm guessing due to the alcohol content. No sticky sweetness. Definitely could taste a bit of the alcohol but that didn't diminish it in the least. Very drinkable.

4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

My aged Fort poured a copperish red with a very thin film atop looking like a strong Belgian.

Real sweet aroma; the raspberries are up front, but the alcohol is noticed more than any
other ingredient.

A fruity explosion with raspberries battling against the alcohol and I have to say that the berries win the battle.

There is a rich, warming feel when I sip the Fort. Moderate carbonation.

A 750ml solo and I have no plans to go anywhere as this is going to put me on my ass without a doubt. Dogfish Head has the extreme beers down.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

4.22/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into an oversized wine glass which produced a fingers worth of head. Nice reddish amber color that had huge aroma of berries. Awesome tart raspberry flavor accompanied with the burn from the alcohol. Lots of sour in this that makes the mouth pucker and ends with a more subtle berry taste on the tongue. Had to take my time drinking this one because the alcohol and favors in this beer are so extreme. Not a fast drinking beer but I did enjoy the flavors in this one.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

2.33/5  rDev -36.7%

well carbonated, head drops quickly (due to high alcohol as expected). color is light tannish leather.

smell has is fairly solvent-heavy, as expected for this high ABV, with hints of berry and herbal earthy notes. very iniviting. too bad it deteriorates from there.

taste? like running an emory board over your tongue. extremely one-dimensional, harsh and grainy, with no depth at all. you get to enjoy all the raspberry seed tannins with none of the actual raspberry flavors. even the residual sweetness of the base beer seems to get buried. I can't for the life of me imagine that this was what was intended; it tastes like an experiment gone horribly wrong.

mouthfeel is coating and full, with the expected high ethanol drying effects. the clean finish is at least some consolation for having to suffer through the awful flavor experience itself.

I am unimpressed. not completely, as I like the idea behind this beer, and I can think of numerous ways this could have turned out better. however, this emperor has no clothes, and I look forward to all the self-proclaimed beer geeks proclaiming the wonders of this beer to prove their beer geek status. hypocrites.

given the variability I have experienced with a couple other dogfish head brews, it's possible my bottle was a fluke, and that the vast majority of what made it into the market is better than the bottle I had. (which I ended up dumping the remaining contents of...)

4.58/5  rDev +24.5%

Poured from bottle into a goblet of sorts. Nice color, exactly what one would expect with the pureed raspberries. Nice white head. Smelled pleasantly of berries and alcohol. First taste was very powerful. The alcohol give it almost a spicy/cinnamon flavor, which combines nicely with the sweetness of the raspberries. If one holds it in the mouth for a bit, allowing it to hit different parts of the tongue, the alcohol becomes more evident, but still goes down easy. Aftertaste is of berries and a bit of malt. Very drinkable, especially sitting outside on a hot sunny day. After about 1/4 of the bottle, I drank the rest while eating a roast beef panini, and it was an excellent combination. I think it would also go well with a chocolate torte or some other heavy meal or dessert. Can't wait to get another bottle of this!

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery