Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber in an English pub glass and pilsner glass. It has a decent head that last with some lacing, but who cares that much about appearance.

It smells amazing. Very sweet with tons of raspberry in it, just what I was expecting.

The taste though is lacking in my opinion. There is just too much of a brown sugar sweetness to it. The raspberry also tastes a little off in my opinion, but it might be due to the sweetness. To me it tastes almost like one of those blue or dark red tootsie roll lollipops. I wish there was more acidity to it like a real raspberry.

The mouthfeel is the worst thing about this beer. It is very hot due to the amount of alcohol and super sticky too from all the malt. It is a chore to get through more than maybe half of a 12 oz glass.

Overall, this beer does serve well as a dessert beer. Just make sure that you split it with somebody since its hard to get through.

uawildcat, Sep 07, 2012

Savage51, Jan 09, 2013

BierAdvoNikk, Mar 10, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

Showvoisier, Mar 31, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

The had at isn't exactly correct. More of a "bought at". A 750 ml capped brown champagne bottle dated 11/13/06 C. I purchased this bottle at the Rehoboth brewpub in the spring of 2007 if I recall correctly. It had been chilled or refrigerated since that moment. Drank it in a Chimay goblet. The laser etching in the bottom made a neat constant stream of bubbles. Appearance: crystal clear reddish orange. Smell: alcohol and cherries. Taste: Two words, Cherry Nyquil. Very strong hot alcohol. Off the charts chemical cherry flavor. Mouth feel: lighter than I expected. Almost a medium dry wine. Drinkability: During the first few sips I would say very low. But after half a glass it got easier.

pecokid, Apr 10, 2010

ejfreed, Oct 31, 2012

Namarsha82, Mar 16, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +16.3%

I found this at Frisco's after looking all over town for it. I thought it reasonable at $19.95 a bottle (promo for DFH pint night) It poured a copper/bright bronze color, with a bit of head. It smells WONDERFUL. Light raspberry and maybe cherry aroma, but you can detect a hint of alcohol. The taste is what really made it stand out. I don't usually like fruit beers because of the sweetness. this had a great fruit flavor that evaporates on the tongue, I'm guessing due to the alcohol content. No sticky sweetness. Definitely could taste a bit of the alcohol but that didn't diminish it in the least. Very drinkable.

ScarletLady, Jan 18, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

My aged Fort poured a copperish red with a very thin film atop looking like a strong Belgian.

Real sweet aroma; the raspberries are up front, but the alcohol is noticed more than any
other ingredient.

A fruity explosion with raspberries battling against the alcohol and I have to say that the berries win the battle.

There is a rich, warming feel when I sip the Fort. Moderate carbonation.

A 750ml solo and I have no plans to go anywhere as this is going to put me on my ass without a doubt. Dogfish Head has the extreme beers down.

mindlucent2007, Jul 19, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

Jamesg440, Apr 10, 2012

girlmeetsbeer16, Nov 29, 2012

GuitarMC, Dec 28, 2011

jamiekimble, Jan 01, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into an oversized wine glass which produced a fingers worth of head. Nice reddish amber color that had huge aroma of berries. Awesome tart raspberry flavor accompanied with the burn from the alcohol. Lots of sour in this that makes the mouth pucker and ends with a more subtle berry taste on the tongue. Had to take my time drinking this one because the alcohol and favors in this beer are so extreme. Not a fast drinking beer but I did enjoy the flavors in this one.

kurtissellen, Apr 14, 2008

IMTHOMAS, Dec 13, 2011

Jamcrae16, May 02, 2012

snailman22, Nov 20, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

slainte35, Nov 01, 2013
2.33/5  rDev -36.7%

well carbonated, head drops quickly (due to high alcohol as expected). color is light tannish leather.

smell has is fairly solvent-heavy, as expected for this high ABV, with hints of berry and herbal earthy notes. very iniviting. too bad it deteriorates from there.

taste? like running an emory board over your tongue. extremely one-dimensional, harsh and grainy, with no depth at all. you get to enjoy all the raspberry seed tannins with none of the actual raspberry flavors. even the residual sweetness of the base beer seems to get buried. I can't for the life of me imagine that this was what was intended; it tastes like an experiment gone horribly wrong.

mouthfeel is coating and full, with the expected high ethanol drying effects. the clean finish is at least some consolation for having to suffer through the awful flavor experience itself.

I am unimpressed. not completely, as I like the idea behind this beer, and I can think of numerous ways this could have turned out better. however, this emperor has no clothes, and I look forward to all the self-proclaimed beer geeks proclaiming the wonders of this beer to prove their beer geek status. hypocrites.

given the variability I have experienced with a couple other dogfish head brews, it's possible my bottle was a fluke, and that the vast majority of what made it into the market is better than the bottle I had. (which I ended up dumping the remaining contents of...)

tfinn, Feb 14, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

hubster712, Jun 07, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

On tap at Rehoboth in a tulip. Color seemed light pink to me, though the bar was dark. Little to no head to speak of.

Nose was very nice. Definite alcohol. I guessed cherry as the fruit, but my wife said raspberry, after reading more here, looks like she was right. Still, seemed like marachinos in alcohol to me.

Taste up front was sweet, no hops to speak of and brother, let me tell you, big alcohol in the end. I think I could have done the flamethrower act after this one. After the alcohol dissipates, it does remain somewhat sweet however.

Overall, another great experiment from DFH. I would never drink more than one of these and I don't know what this would be like in a bottle, but an interesting concoction and one I'm glad I tried none the less.

luvND, Jun 26, 2005
2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

jburke87, Jun 18, 2012

usaftenor, Oct 25, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +24.5%

Poured from bottle into a goblet of sorts. Nice color, exactly what one would expect with the pureed raspberries. Nice white head. Smelled pleasantly of berries and alcohol. First taste was very powerful. The alcohol give it almost a spicy/cinnamon flavor, which combines nicely with the sweetness of the raspberries. If one holds it in the mouth for a bit, allowing it to hit different parts of the tongue, the alcohol becomes more evident, but still goes down easy. Aftertaste is of berries and a bit of malt. Very drinkable, especially sitting outside on a hot sunny day. After about 1/4 of the bottle, I drank the rest while eating a roast beef panini, and it was an excellent combination. I think it would also go well with a chocolate torte or some other heavy meal or dessert. Can't wait to get another bottle of this!

kindacold, May 15, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +23.6%

Poured a cloudy red-amber with a little head that left fast. Smells of raspberries and sweetness. Tastes of raspberries and sweetness. Enough of the alcohol comes through to let you know that it's there, but it surprisingly does not at all overwhelm the taste. It's very light on the tongue, compares well to a sparkling fruit wine. I could drink this all night, except the price would break my wallet, and the alcohol would break my balance. It would go very well with a dark chocolate dessert that wasn't too sweet.

jordanmills, Dec 25, 2006