Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

ABV varies from 15-18%.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

2.44/5  rDev -33.9%

well carbonated, head drops quickly (due to high alcohol as expected). color is light tannish leather.

smell has is fairly solvent-heavy, as expected for this high ABV, with hints of berry and herbal earthy notes. very iniviting. too bad it deteriorates from there.

taste? like running an emory board over your tongue. extremely one-dimensional, harsh and grainy, with no depth at all. you get to enjoy all the raspberry seed tannins with none of the actual raspberry flavors. even the residual sweetness of the base beer seems to get buried. I can't for the life of me imagine that this was what was intended; it tastes like an experiment gone horribly wrong.

mouthfeel is coating and full, with the expected high ethanol drying effects. the clean finish is at least some consolation for having to suffer through the awful flavor experience itself.

I am unimpressed. not completely, as I like the idea behind this beer, and I can think of numerous ways this could have turned out better. however, this emperor has no clothes, and I look forward to all the self-proclaimed beer geeks proclaiming the wonders of this beer to prove their beer geek status. hypocrites.

given the variability I have experienced with a couple other dogfish head brews, it's possible my bottle was a fluke, and that the vast majority of what made it into the market is better than the bottle I had. (which I ended up dumping the remaining contents of...)

4.57/5  rDev +23.8%

Poured from bottle into a goblet of sorts. Nice color, exactly what one would expect with the pureed raspberries. Nice white head. Smelled pleasantly of berries and alcohol. First taste was very powerful. The alcohol give it almost a spicy/cinnamon flavor, which combines nicely with the sweetness of the raspberries. If one holds it in the mouth for a bit, allowing it to hit different parts of the tongue, the alcohol becomes more evident, but still goes down easy. Aftertaste is of berries and a bit of malt. Very drinkable, especially sitting outside on a hot sunny day. After about 1/4 of the bottle, I drank the rest while eating a roast beef panini, and it was an excellent combination. I think it would also go well with a chocolate torte or some other heavy meal or dessert. Can't wait to get another bottle of this!

3.52/5  rDev -4.6%

On tap at Rehoboth in a tulip. Color seemed light pink to me, though the bar was dark. Little to no head to speak of.

Nose was very nice. Definite alcohol. I guessed cherry as the fruit, but my wife said raspberry, after reading more here, looks like she was right. Still, seemed like marachinos in alcohol to me.

Taste up front was sweet, no hops to speak of and brother, let me tell you, big alcohol in the end. I think I could have done the flamethrower act after this one. After the alcohol dissipates, it does remain somewhat sweet however.

Overall, another great experiment from DFH. I would never drink more than one of these and I don't know what this would be like in a bottle, but an interesting concoction and one I'm glad I tried none the less.

2.25/5  rDev -39%

4.55/5  rDev +23.3%

Poured a cloudy red-amber with a little head that left fast. Smells of raspberries and sweetness. Tastes of raspberries and sweetness. Enough of the alcohol comes through to let you know that it's there, but it surprisingly does not at all overwhelm the taste. It's very light on the tongue, compares well to a sparkling fruit wine. I could drink this all night, except the price would break my wallet, and the alcohol would break my balance. It would go very well with a dark chocolate dessert that wasn't too sweet.

2.12/5  rDev -42.5%

First let me say that I hate the fact that I am about trash a Dogfish beer - they got me into craft brew but it needs to be done for FORT.

Shared a bottle poured into a Dogfish goblet.

A - Average what one might expect from a fruit beer. Thick, syrupy.

S - Not bad, nice rasberries with alcohol prelude following that should have been a warning.

T - AHHHH!!!! No balance at all. I love barleywine so it had nothing to do with the high alc but this was just a mess. Overwhelming alc with a fake bitter rasberry cough medicine taste. Had flashbacks of having a cold as a young kid and being forced to take medicine.

M - A miserable miserable experience. Actually opened a barleywine to chase this beer.

D - Could not finish. Don't know what went wrong with this beer. I have another in the cellar and will try aging several years as this first one was drunk very young.

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

Probably way to excited for this brew.

A: Foggy like the rest of there high ABV brews. Deep golden red cherry-like. Looks great, just not crazy about the fog. Guess it comes with a brew of this caliber.

S: Surprisingly not as intense as suspected. Malty sweet, alcohol and some sour fruity esters. Similar to the aromatics of DFHs 120 Minute. Raspberry aroma is faint but present.

T: The smell exactly. Intense booze upfront, followed by malty sweetness rounded off by and intense raspberry sourness. But not an overwhelming SOURNESS, just enough to round off the rest of the beer. Wine-like to say the least with hints of brown sugar. Imagine DFHs Olde School Barleywine with a push of raspberries. The bitterness is what threw me off a bit, not crazy about it. Bitterness without the beauty of the floral citrus love of the hops turns me off... just a little bit. More hops please!

M: Mild to low carbonation. Bitter alcoholic like feel. Lingers on the palate for no longer than 10 minutes. Perfect...

D: Relatively even and close to the drinkability of a Sam Adams. Which will hurt you.

Overall: With just a pinch more of hoppy goodness I could have enjoyed this beer above and beyond. I love raspberries, but have decided they should stay away from the comeliness of what we love as beer. This stays above average due to Sams innovative style but receives no further. Wouldnt buy again and so far, DFHs 120 is the best of the these killer IMPERIAL styles. Unless you are absolutely craving raspberries or just want to cover all things Dogfish, I wouldnt bother. Save some cash and just buy there 90 Minute.

3.97/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured a wildflower honey color. Minimal white head, with minimal lacing. This was expected, given the high alcohol content, and the fact its a fruit beer.

Smelled of raspberry and wine. Undertones of vodka. Smelled very nice overall, the alcohol was forgivable due to the alcohol content.

Taste was of raspberry, sweet wine, and alcohol. Are there hops there? Any malt? For a fruit beer, this was however great. I like fruit beers fruity.

Mouthfeel was alright. A little thin.

Very drinkable, if you like strong drinks, and you hold your alcohol well. It would be better if the alcohol was cut back a bit. But then again, this is DFH, so rock on.

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

When I saw a few 25 oz. bottles of this stuff on the shelf, I felt compelled to grab one. Hype or not, this beer demanded a test drive. Poured into a wine glass a crystal clear medium amber, forming a short fluffy head that never completely went away. The bubbles float slowly to the surface from start to finish, foreshadowing the thickness of this beer. The first component of the aroma I notice is a lightly malty, sweet alcohol --almost like champagne or a sweet white wine. The second is raspberries, but not terribly large in the forefront and not too sweet. The taste is strong, winey, and complex. Yes, it tastes sort of like a beer, but it tastes more like a chardonnay. In addition to the sour raspberry flavors, there are hints of pears, grapes, and the banana fruitiness of wheat malt. The mouthfeel is unsurprisingly thick and very fizzy. There's also a prominent heat.

I like Fort, and despite reading a lot of the hype (and anti-hype), its flavor is a surprise to me. It may be something that I only try once, or at most grab on a rare occassion, but it is definitely worth picking up. Like many Dogfish products, it makes for a perspective-widening beer experience.

3.53/5  rDev -4.3%

Dogfish head Fort ABV: 18% Bottled in 2008!

A: Beautiful looking beer. Has a redish to yellow tint to it. minimal to no head or lacing.

S: The smell is of fruits(mostly raspberries) and red wine. This beer smells and taste sweet! Has a very unique smell and very advertising.

T: Taste of a very wonderful sweet red wine. Has a raspberry taste with a hint of wheat, hops and malts. This beer is very balanced, but has a distinctive bite... The alcohol!!

M-D: From what I said earlier has a balanced taste and the flavors of the beer just go together greatly. This beer is a sharing beer... I am, of course, sharing this with my bro. This beer I would drink only one a night and have others to sip on. Good "Chilling" beer!!

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery