Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros

joesmithrealname, Apr 26, 2013

aprilianewman, Apr 12, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -13%

Kept outside in a snow pack in Breckenridge Colorado until served. Served in a Chimay Tulip glass.

A - Rich cherry wood color with tints of orange. Light head retreats quickly leaves no lacing. Looked a bit cloudy however was probably from the temperature.

S - Strong Raspberry aroma right off, very sweet alcohol smell with a hint of hops.

M - Very fizzy, light on the palate and clears quickly.

T - Overwhelmingly alcohol, at first noticeable only lightly, as the beer warms alcohol more prevalent and overpowers the raspberry. Mineral hits of Iron and tart ester. Back of palate picks up the very tart almost sour taste.

D - This one seems as though it needs to be paired with a raspberry dessert or possibly a raspberry appetizer as that will help bring it out in this beer. Should be shared as in the time it takes to drink the bottle it will have warmed to the point at which the alcohol is overpowering.

Overall I would suggest this one for a light 8 ounce service among a group for a raspberry cheesecake dessert as the raspberry needs to be enhanced and the sour/tartness on the palate neutralized.

Andbrew, Nov 27, 2006
1.35/5  rDev -63.3%

This beer is horrendous. I love dogfish head beers and am making a trip to the brewery in the coming weeks, me and my friend buy up any varieties we come across in distributors because we love DFH so much. That being said, this beer to me was undrinkable, expecting a fruit bomb, it was more like a straight alcohol taste, with a slight hint of raspberries, it was the definiton of "too much", although i know alot of time and effort was put into this beer, I will never buy it again, put it this way, it was so bad I dumped it down the drain after about 5 minutes. big miss.

lbkornlb14, Aug 04, 2008
1.63/5  rDev -55.7%

2009 bottle - pours a cloudy orangeish color, a little bit of head, which disappears quickly. Smells really astringent, just like rubbing alcohol. Not a pleasant smell at all. Can smell a little bit of raspberries but they are completely overhwelmed by the alcohol. Taste is just like the smell...the raspberries are not even very pleasant. It tastes like a mix of raspberry soda and moonshine. Just awful. I took a few mouthfulls and then drainpoured the rest. Just a mess of a beer, I highly doubt that more aging would improve this beer much.

atowle25, Jun 05, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle (2011 date stamp) into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Definitely a beer that you have to let warm, right out of the fridge it was harsh, overly sweet and alcoholic... definitely disappointing. Notes are from once it's warmed a bit.

A: Pours a deep amber with bright red notes. Absolutely beautiful. Little to no head, a far bit of sticky lacing with some strong staying power.

S: Sweet, sugary, raspberries. Intense.

T: Very sweet, with raspberry dominating the flavor profile. Alcohol is very present, but not in a bad way. Once it warmed, it was more balanced. The complexity of the sweet v. tartness of the raspberries shined through.

M: Syrup-y, which somewhat hinders the drinkability. Mild carbonation. Nothing to really cut the sweetness. Because of the thick quality of the beer, the taste lingers, which is unexpectedly pleasant.

O: At first sip, I was ready to dump the bottle. Letting it warm allowed this beer to really shine - the complexity of the raspberry combined with the strong malty backbone made for a fun drinking experience. Very glad I had someone to share it with though, because at ~18% ABV, the whole bottle would have knocked me out.

mjord23, Apr 08, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +12.8%

1 pint 9 0z. bottle split with jramey2

A: Pours a bright reddish brown, can't see through it. Not much head.

S: Smells like sour raspberries.Think I detect a bit of yeast in the smell as well.

T. Tastes like raspberries and alcohol. Not sour like in the smell, a bit sweet, rather The high ABV doesn't mask it's presence so well likein the Raison D'Extra.

M:Medium body, more carbonation than I expected.

D: About a drinkable as a 18% ABV beer can be.

The world's strongest fruit beer is another good offering from Dogfish Head.

milesfan76, Feb 17, 2007

poibag808, Nov 26, 2011

psujorge, Feb 02, 2012

jmodus, Jul 15, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Served from a 750ml. bottle into a snifter just under cellar temp. Bottled date is 11/13/2006

A - Poured a finger and a half light pinkish / off white head. The head settled down to a drinkable level very quick with some lasting lacing. Color is a clear reddish orange with a few specks of sediment.

S - Aromas of what else? Raspberries!! Light alcohol present but nowhere near what I expected out of 18%

T – Again what else raspberries!! Some bitterness present in the finish. Very sweet.

M – Texture is light and bubbly. What I would consider a clean finish, almost crisp.

D - I’m a big DFH fan. This isn’t one of my favorites though. I just had to give it a chance, too sweet for my pallet. Luck I split it with a couple of friend because I couldn’t have finished the bottle myself. Even though it wasn’t my favorite DFH I’d still recommend giving it a taste.

travisd13, Aug 31, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +21.5%

A luxurious treat....the smell is of raspberries and alcohol, not surpisingly....mouthfeel is a little thick at first but finishes drier....The alcohol is well-masked, I find, and I would find it hard to believe another recent reviewer's contention that the alcohol is higher than 18%...I've nearly finished a bottle and am still feeling fairly coherent. Altogether the flavor is very pleasing--the raspberry taste dominates without at all becoming cough-syrupy. I plan to have this again, but with a) friends and b) some sort of dessert.

kundabuffer, Apr 30, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

I bought a bottle of this from Bev Max in Stamford Ct. on saturday and it set me back about $16 bucks. I'm not usually a big fruit beer fan but had been looking forward to trying this one. I poured it into a Piratte tulip glass.

A- It poured a nice amber gold that was slightly cloudy. I was expecting a red beer (for some reason) and was quite surprised by the way it looked. It had a tiny white head (maybe 1/4") that disappered realy fast and left no laceing.

S- I expected it to smell like juice or kool aid or something and was surprised. All though the rapberries were definatly there, they were rather mild and delicate. It smelled sweet with some light yeast and alot of alcohol. It smelled like some of the home made fruit wines I used to make back in the day.

T- Again I was surprised how subdued the raspberries were! Like the smell they were up front and dominated but had a certain restraint to them. This beer is deifanitly sweet but not syrupy. I also noticed, like the smell, some light yeast and a malty sweetness, but no real malt character. The raspberries tasted fresh and not artifical with a good sweet tangy flavor. The alcohol dominated the back end and was quite boozy. It almost burned the tounge if held to long, and warmed me to my toes! As the beer warmed the raspberries become a little more pronunced and the taste mellowed a bit. Again, it sort of reminded me of the home made fruit wines. My wife said it reminded her of champagne with chambord!

M- Fairly medium body beer with a lively active carbonation that reminded me of champagne.

D- I thought this was an interesting beer. It had a nice balance of fruit and sweetness that worked for me. The alcohol did come through a little strong but was drinkable. I would drink it again on occasion but the abv is a little high for much more than that. Cheers!

Dirty1, Jan 13, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

Pour - dark ruby, almost like a pure grapefruit juice. The head is small, and dissipates quickly with drinking.

Smell - pure awesome raspberry. for a fruit beer, the smell is amazing and exactly what you would want. It ends with a slight hint of the alcohol, which is welcome after such intense sweet odors.

Taste - The taste is on point in terms of capturing fruit tastes into a well crafted brew. The high alcohol content of this beer is well masked by the intense raspberry flavor, but the end of each taste is still dominated by a small, and slight stinging alcohol taste.

Drinkability - Definitely not a great session beer, due to its high ABV and intense flavors, however a single bottle of the beer, 1 pint +9.6 fl oz, is easily drinkable by one.

Overall, a delightfully innovative and tasty fruit beer with few shortcomings.

bigoten13, Jan 10, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottled in 2009. Poured from a bomber into a DFH snifter.

A - Red/Orange color. A bit hazy. Almost no head whatsoever.

S - Intense raspberry notes. The alcohol definitely comes through. Almost no hop aroma probably because the bottle is two years old.

T - Much like the nose there are intense raspberry flavors and you can definitely taste the alcohol. Some tartness from the raspberry. Relatively no hop flavor at all.

M - Medium bodied. I am left with a tangy tartness in my mouth long after drinking.

Overall if you have never had this beer you should try it at least once to say you did. Dogfish Head pushed the envelope with this one. If you can find a vintage bottle buy it. It is worth the money.

wscaffe, Jul 07, 2011

Sevesteve, Jan 04, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

From time to time I get the chance to try the exotic, and Dogfish head stuff is usually pretty out there.
I was impressed by the look, smell, and taste. While a little fruity, it was still pretty good. It's difficult to describe exactly, but imagine a heavy hefeweizen with strong fruit-like undertones.
While I liked the taste, the moment the beer got to my stomach something said 'stop.' I felt that beer much more than I tasted it, and couldn't finish a whole glass. It wasn't just the high alcohol content either, the stuff was just too heavy for me. If you're into very heavy beers, and very fruity beers, the Fort is your dream. If not, though, take in small doses. This is definitely a sipper to be shared with a large group of people.

DrunkPagan, May 24, 2006
3.68/5  rDev 0%

The only keg we got in the DFW on tap at my favorite local pub-poured into a chimay goblet.

Pours ruby red with a nice reddish head. Smells very sweet-raspberry aroma really comes through. Tastes as sweet-I've had this in a bottle as well and the alcohol and overall sweetness is subdued on tap. The owner appearently cellared the keg for a few months which I'm sure has something to do with it. Nice malty backbone which helps to mellow the sweetness as well. Smooth and flavorful-I've never tasted anything quite like this. 18% abv was there but not as in your face as you'd think. Not one you could down all night-one was just enough for me.

Very happy I got the oppurtunity to try this on tap. Definately not to be missed if you get the chance.

Dixonian, Apr 20, 2010