Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
psuwiz99

02-27-2014 18:10:19 | More by Jeffry-Mazerolle
travisd13

Washington

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Served from a 750ml. bottle into a snifter just under cellar temp. Bottled date is 11/13/2006

A - Poured a finger and a half light pinkish / off white head. The head settled down to a drinkable level very quick with some lasting lacing. Color is a clear reddish orange with a few specks of sediment.

S - Aromas of what else? Raspberries!! Light alcohol present but nowhere near what I expected out of 18%

T – Again what else raspberries!! Some bitterness present in the finish. Very sweet.

M – Texture is light and bubbly. What I would consider a clean finish, almost crisp.

D - I’m a big DFH fan. This isn’t one of my favorites though. I just had to give it a chance, too sweet for my pallet. Luck I split it with a couple of friend because I couldn’t have finished the bottle myself. Even though it wasn’t my favorite DFH I’d still recommend giving it a taste.

08-31-2007 17:15:37 | More by travisd13
kundabuffer

Indiana

4.47/5  rDev +21.5%

A luxurious treat....the smell is of raspberries and alcohol, not surpisingly....mouthfeel is a little thick at first but finishes drier....The alcohol is well-masked, I find, and I would find it hard to believe another recent reviewer's contention that the alcohol is higher than 18%...I've nearly finished a bottle and am still feeling fairly coherent. Altogether the flavor is very pleasing--the raspberry taste dominates without at all becoming cough-syrupy. I plan to have this again, but with a) friends and b) some sort of dessert.

04-30-2007 04:54:35 | More by kundabuffer
Dirty1

Colorado

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought a bottle of this from Bev Max in Stamford Ct. on saturday and it set me back about $16 bucks. I'm not usually a big fruit beer fan but had been looking forward to trying this one. I poured it into a Piratte tulip glass.

A- It poured a nice amber gold that was slightly cloudy. I was expecting a red beer (for some reason) and was quite surprised by the way it looked. It had a tiny white head (maybe 1/4") that disappered realy fast and left no laceing.

S- I expected it to smell like juice or kool aid or something and was surprised. All though the rapberries were definatly there, they were rather mild and delicate. It smelled sweet with some light yeast and alot of alcohol. It smelled like some of the home made fruit wines I used to make back in the day.

T- Again I was surprised how subdued the raspberries were! Like the smell they were up front and dominated but had a certain restraint to them. This beer is deifanitly sweet but not syrupy. I also noticed, like the smell, some light yeast and a malty sweetness, but no real malt character. The raspberries tasted fresh and not artifical with a good sweet tangy flavor. The alcohol dominated the back end and was quite boozy. It almost burned the tounge if held to long, and warmed me to my toes! As the beer warmed the raspberries become a little more pronunced and the taste mellowed a bit. Again, it sort of reminded me of the home made fruit wines. My wife said it reminded her of champagne with chambord!

M- Fairly medium body beer with a lively active carbonation that reminded me of champagne.

D- I thought this was an interesting beer. It had a nice balance of fruit and sweetness that worked for me. The alcohol did come through a little strong but was drinkable. I would drink it again on occasion but the abv is a little high for much more than that. Cheers!

01-13-2009 01:35:57 | More by Dirty1
bigoten13

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

Pour - dark ruby, almost like a pure grapefruit juice. The head is small, and dissipates quickly with drinking.

Smell - pure awesome raspberry. for a fruit beer, the smell is amazing and exactly what you would want. It ends with a slight hint of the alcohol, which is welcome after such intense sweet odors.

Taste - The taste is on point in terms of capturing fruit tastes into a well crafted brew. The high alcohol content of this beer is well masked by the intense raspberry flavor, but the end of each taste is still dominated by a small, and slight stinging alcohol taste.

Drinkability - Definitely not a great session beer, due to its high ABV and intense flavors, however a single bottle of the beer, 1 pint +9.6 fl oz, is easily drinkable by one.

Overall, a delightfully innovative and tasty fruit beer with few shortcomings.

01-10-2011 05:43:49 | More by bigoten13
wscaffe

3.43/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottled in 2009. Poured from a bomber into a DFH snifter.

A - Red/Orange color. A bit hazy. Almost no head whatsoever.

S - Intense raspberry notes. The alcohol definitely comes through. Almost no hop aroma probably because the bottle is two years old.

T - Much like the nose there are intense raspberry flavors and you can definitely taste the alcohol. Some tartness from the raspberry. Relatively no hop flavor at all.

M - Medium bodied. I am left with a tangy tartness in my mouth long after drinking.

Overall if you have never had this beer you should try it at least once to say you did. Dogfish Head pushed the envelope with this one. If you can find a vintage bottle buy it. It is worth the money.

07-07-2011 01:53:45 | More by wscaffe

DrunkPagan

Rhode Island

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

From time to time I get the chance to try the exotic, and Dogfish head stuff is usually pretty out there.
I was impressed by the look, smell, and taste. While a little fruity, it was still pretty good. It's difficult to describe exactly, but imagine a heavy hefeweizen with strong fruit-like undertones.
While I liked the taste, the moment the beer got to my stomach something said 'stop.' I felt that beer much more than I tasted it, and couldn't finish a whole glass. It wasn't just the high alcohol content either, the stuff was just too heavy for me. If you're into very heavy beers, and very fruity beers, the Fort is your dream. If not, though, take in small doses. This is definitely a sipper to be shared with a large group of people.

05-24-2006 19:50:55 | More by DrunkPagan
Dixonian

3.68/5  rDev 0%

The only keg we got in the DFW on tap at my favorite local pub-poured into a chimay goblet.

Pours ruby red with a nice reddish head. Smells very sweet-raspberry aroma really comes through. Tastes as sweet-I've had this in a bottle as well and the alcohol and overall sweetness is subdued on tap. The owner appearently cellared the keg for a few months which I'm sure has something to do with it. Nice malty backbone which helps to mellow the sweetness as well. Smooth and flavorful-I've never tasted anything quite like this. 18% abv was there but not as in your face as you'd think. Not one you could down all night-one was just enough for me.

Very happy I got the oppurtunity to try this on tap. Definately not to be missed if you get the chance.

04-20-2010 23:34:29 | More by Dixonian

taitlifto

12-14-2011 16:17:30 | More by taitlifto
benyerd

4.2/5  rDev +14.1%

(A) Very Pink in color and actually changed in color as it was being poured. There was absolutely no head retention at all due to the high alcohol percentage. (thanks andy)

(S) Smell was awesome. Very strong and coud smell the fruit more than anything. Great Aroma!

(T) Simply Fantastic! I can taste the alcohol in it but the fruit flavor still overwhelms. Best fruit beer in a while!

(M) Very light mouthfeel. It left a slight film along my palate but the flavor still lingered after swallowed.

(D) A very drinkable beer! Best fruit beer I have had in a while. Would drink a whole bottle in one setting if it would kill me!

10-06-2010 04:11:28 | More by benyerd
ryane

Washington

1.63/5  rDev -55.7%

It had a bit of a funky smell, definately some honey in there, very warming finish, taste is something in between a fruit beer and a mead, very little to no raspberry flavor, carbonation is a bit high and bites especially in the finish

Not something I would recomend to anyone to pick up, I am continually amazed by the low quality of offerings by DFH, seems everyone is always in love with their beers, its not always wise to take things to the absolute extreme, balance is the hallmark of a quality beer

03-05-2009 02:35:59 | More by ryane