Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros

Score above is from 2005 vintage.

****2008 vintage. Poured into a snifter. Consumed 2/27/2012, so roughly 3 years old.

3.5 A: Moderately hazed peachy amber color. About one finger of fizzy beige-ish head that fell quickly and left no lacing. Looks more like the 05 than anything.

1.5 S: Unholy raspberry rubbing alcohol. Wow is this potent and aggressive. I can't really give a good comment to the nose.

2.0 T: This maybe should be a 1.5 as well, but it's so much better than the nose that I had no choice but to throw an extra half point on it. The taste is pretty much boozy raspberry juice. Lots of raspberry, lots of booze, and not much depth. It tastes a hell of a lot like 18%, makes my tongue tingle, and leaves behind a solid warming. Alcohol breath.

2.5 M: Heavier medium body. Good carbonation. Boozy mouthfeel - warming, biting, and not particularly pleasant.

1.0 D: Easily the worst vintage. Whenever I had this fresh from a tap I don't recall it being this boozy and simple. If you have a bottle of this, cook with it or give it to someone you don't like.

****2007 vintage, bottled 07//09/07. Poured into a snifter. Consumed 4/27/2012, so roughly 4 1/2 years old.

3.5 A: Ruddy plum color. A little over one finger of frothy beige head. Retention is better than some of the other vintages since it isn't a fizzy head, but still not unlike what you'd expect from an 18% brew. No lacing.

2.0 S: Like the 08, this has a raspberry rubbing alcohol vibe to it, but it doesn't burn my nose. Otherwise a bit spicy.

2.5 T: This doesn't taste all that great, but I must say that most of the alcohol is well hidden. It's still boozy, just not as boozy as what the nose suggested. Raspberry and booze without much else poking through.

3.5 M: Lighter heavy body. Good moderate carbonation. Mildly creamy. Decent here.

2.5 D: I'm not a huge fan of this vintage, but it kills the 08 by a long margin.

****2006 vintage. Poured into a snifter. Consumed 2/8/2012, so roughly 5 years old.

3.5 A: Opaque ruddy amber brown color. One finger of fizzy beige-ish head that fell quickly and left no lacing. Amazing how different this one appears from the 05 vintage.

3.5 S: Smells a lot different too. Raspberry is far and away the strongest component. Just a touch of booze. The earthiness of the 05 vintage is not present. A light toffee component exists with notes of sherry.

1.5 T: Unlike the 05, this is fairly boozy. Maybe not 18% boozy, but 12-14% or so. This also has some notes of oxidation as sherry is a fairly strong component of the taste. Perhaps a touch of cardboard as well. Raspberries are quite strong. Little to no spicy component.

2.5 M: Heavy body. Carbonation level is good for a beer this old. Not all that creamy. It lays somewhat dead on the tongue.

2.0 D: Much worse that the 05 vintage. No way in hell this would taste like the 05 if I waited another year. Notes of oxidation and much boozier. It's hard to say whether the differences are from technical issues such as bottling, natural batch variation, or terroir.

****2005 vintage. Poured into a snifter. I believe I owe thanks to mday for this. Consumed 2/3/2012, so roughly 6 years old.

3.5 A: Transluscent medium amber color. One finger of fizzy beige-ish head that fell quickly and left no lacing. 18% ABV fruit beer means I'll cut it some slack.

3.5 S: Still a ton of raspberries in this. Actually that's about all there is, though this is a lot earthier than when fresh. Booze is barely detectable.

2.5 T: The taste isn't anything to write home about though. It's tasty, but the raspberries are quite faded compared to fresh. Despite this, raspberry is still the main flavor. I'm picking up a healthy spiciness from the yeast. Clove and pepper are there to a good extent. Earthiness abounds, but not in a funky way. Alcohol is very well hidden with a light warming on finish.

4.0 M: Heavier medium body. Carbonation is as if it were fresh, which is quite a feat for a bottle this old. Spritzy with a decent creaminess.

3.0 D: While it's not as good as fresh, it hasn't aged poorly. A lot of the raspberry flavor is gone, but it brings out a spiciness that I never knew was there. Feel free to age this, it's a lot different and still quite drinkable.

DavoleBomb, Feb 04, 2012
2.98/5  rDev -19%

750ml bottle, '10 vintage. Split this one between about 4 people, thank god. Poured into DFH signature glass.

A: Initially this one poured like a cloudy pink grapefruit juice, but then evened out into a deep orange amber color. There was about a half finger of loose bubbled white head initially, but that disappeared rather quickly into a ring of white around the edges of the glass.

S: I video reviewed this one, and I said "nail polish remover" and I am sticking to it. The nose on this was straight booze. I don't know where some of these reviews have it any other way. I agree with one about it being 120min with raspberries, because that is right on point. There is some sweetness from the berries in there to sort of cut the booze a touch.

T: They used Warrior hops in the brewing process, but you get no hop presence at all. Nothing really on the tip of the tongue. In the middle of the mouth, you get lots of sweet malt and a hint of berries. I was really thinking that maybe there would be some fruity sweetness, but that was not the case. The close is long and it definitely warms the throat with alcohol. This is a booze bomb.

M: It's medium leading to full. No where near as thick and viscous as a stout, but the booze makes it feel bigger than what it is.

O: This is certainly not for the faint of heart. I will not be buying this beer again. Far too boozy to be enjoyable. Where are the raspberry flavors and tartness that I was expecting? Less fermentation and booze-attention grabbing, and more flavor monitoring down at DFH.

inlimbo77, Feb 03, 2012

muskiesman, Feb 03, 2012

KJRieg, Feb 03, 2012

psujorge, Feb 02, 2012

Viciousknishs, Jan 31, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

I picked this up at BevMo a week or so ago.

Appearance- orange copper color, minimal head

Smell- sweet raspberry, alcohol, very boozy

Taste- raspberry, alcohol, very boozy

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- It was ok but very boozy. I might drink it again. I don't know. still ok though

jeffjeff1, Jan 30, 2012

LadyOfMuchBeer, Jan 30, 2012

TenHornsProud, Jan 29, 2012

mcann2pu, Jan 29, 2012

xrdsci, Jan 27, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured on-tap and served in a snifter, the beer is a cloudy, orange-amber coloring with a frothy, dense, small bubbled off-white head. Aromas are surprisingly subtle, with a strong raspberry and booze blend of the nose. Not overly sweet or tart on the nose, it smells great. Flavors are rich, with a heavy fruit and malt sweetness balanced very well. Raspberry tartness is solid, but remaining light to avoid being overpowering, with a good, smooth, creamy malt backbone. The beer has a decent lacing along the glass, and the body is round and smooth, with a velvety texture as it clears the palate. The aftertaste is a little sharp, with the tart raspberry flavors meeting a roasted, earthy backbone. The finish has a slight linger and cloy, but the increased ABV cleans that up quickly. Very smooth and flavorful.

GarthDanielson, Jan 24, 2012

AAxsom, Jan 23, 2012

MalReever, Jan 23, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

First, I liked this, but as I was having dinner at a local gastropub with a great draft list, I put this on my tasting list at the end of the meal, as or with dessert.

It was served in a small, six oz snifter. In the glass, it was dark orange color, hazy with a 1/4 inch of tight packed foam on the top when I got it. The nose was huge, with lots of tart raspberries and sweetness. The first taste is lots of raspberry and sweetness, with a little subtle bread in the back of the throat. I didn't pick up on the alcohol the way I should have. My wife tried it, who doesn't like beer, and said she liked it. The mouthfeel was lighter than I thought as well, only slightly heavy, with more carbonation than I expected. Overall, this was a very good sipper for dessert, and saved me from eating something I shouldn't.

bschinelli, Jan 22, 2012

rwilde, Jan 21, 2012

poppyjohn, Jan 21, 2012

Moose34, Jan 20, 2012

drewburning25, Jan 20, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

xenjoiii, Jan 19, 2012
2.15/5  rDev -41.6%

I had high expectations of this beer after the owner of the local beer shop raved about it. She had me totally convinced that this beer would be the best I had ever tasted. She described it as "chocolate covered raspberries".

Not . . . so . . . much. I poured it into a glass. It had a minimal amount of head and was amber and cloudy in color.

The smell was very sweet. It had a hint of raspberry, but that was soon followed by a high alcohol smell. It smelled almost like a raspberry cough syrup.

I've had many a fruit beer in my day and others pull it off exceptionally well with genuine fruit flavors. Even though this one is brewed with raspberries is has a very artificial flavor to it. That coupled with the burn from the high ABV created that cough syrup flavor.

I couldn't get away from the syrupy feel of this beer. It was hard to describe because it wasn't like a thicker beer. It was thick but sugary at the same time.

I'm glad the woman told me she would give me my money back if I didn't like it. I did finish off the bottle, but didn't really enjoy it at all. It was too artificial tasting. It's what I would expect from the cheaper versions of flavored beer.

DawnDebauchery, Jan 19, 2012

ricksrealm, Jan 18, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

Sampling as I write this in a 4 oz. Intuition ale works tumbler from the bottle.

I'll keep the review simple. It's raspberry 120. Do you like Dogfish Head's 120 minute IPA? It's a raspberry version of that.

A: Pours a nice golden amber with a slight 1/2" head that dissipates fast. Leaves minimal lacing with a slight halo of cat spit around the rim. Carbonation is minimal.

S: Smells of raspberries and warming alcohol.

T: Overwhelming rum notes similar to DFH 120. Very sweet with all of the supplemental raspberry/corn sugar feedings, this doesn't surprise me. Best consumed cold to prevent the alcohol from turning your mouth into a volcano. Once your tastebuds die back a bit from the alcohol, the raspberry flavors overwhelm. Hops have no chance against this beer and aren't detectable at all. Tastes like lambic vs. appleton white rum.

M: Sharp stinging sensation from the high alcohol leaves the mouth astringent, dry and tasting like raspberry vapors. Very hard to get over the alcohol presence.

O: Great for anyone that wants a fast buzz that loves raspberries and hates hops. It's like lambic on acid and will definitely git ya drunk.

Aiptasia, Jan 18, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into a crystal mug the beer was a slightly hazy medium orange gold. A off white creamy head builds about one and a half finger high and dissipates relatively fast with leaving good lacing.
The smell is raspberry all the way, with some malt in the back.
Tasting the beer those flavors will arrive in the same order. The hops will mellow the sweetness of the raspberries slightly, but not enough. But it is a fruit beer, and therefore that is ok in my book. The alcohol is there, but well hidden for the high ABV of 18 percent.
I really liked this beer as for what it was designed for!

Hopfenpeter, Jan 17, 2012