Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

ABV varies from 15-18%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
Reviews: 510 | Hads: 1,045
3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Well in my neverending quest to empty out my closet and et to these hard to reach beers the beers that I have stored away for sometimes it may seem to be years, I have come across my latest discovery, Dogfish head's Fort. What can be said about a monstrously huge bottle of brew that simply says ale brewed with rasberry with no ABV or warning on it in regards to what may lie inside? Needless to say I was more then willing to dive in and see what this beer could be made of. I have to admit though, I was a bit intimidated, as word of mouth had told me this was a damn bigbeer that was gonna be hard to put down, we shall see....

Well upon the pour we have an extremely hazy amber. Slightly darker then your normal ale. Lots of visible carbonation was evident from the start, chains of bubbles rippling up from the bottom of the glass. Lots of haze, literally made this opaque. Tons of suspended particles as well, some of them quite large. This may have been due to the aged bottle, as it had a 11/05 brewed date on it. Nice one inch thick white head receeded rather quicky leaving behind a thin film on top of the glass and a nice amount of lace drooping down the sides. Biggest story here. by far had to be all the haziness and the suspended particles which it seemed clouded the view completly and gave it a very thick appearence.

The smell was strong, and very fruity. Large hint of rasberry was readily apparent from the start. I would have thought that the alcohol smell would have been stronger then what it was, however it was not that apparent. Don't get me wrong, this smelled alot like a strong wine, however it just did not smell overwhelminglt strong from the start. A very sugary aroma aroma was present as was a slight hint of grain in the back, overall very fruity smell.

The taste was well, bitter. This knocked my head back at the first sip. Insanely strong and fruity. Perhaps the strongest fruiteness I have ever tasted in a beer before. Incredible fresh rasberries in the flavor were evident right from the start. The one thing that shocked me however, was that I would have thought the alcohol presence would have been alot stronger then it was. It was noticeable but not 18% noticeable if you know what I mean, A slight hoppiness was present in the finsh, quite dry actually. Very smooth feel, great carbonation, led to that nice silky, bubbly light feeling. Overall the flavors were very very intense, and the fruit and hop flavors far overpowered the alcohol. This made the profile really jump out at you, and made what could have been overpoweringly hot with alcohol,. not only tolerable, but actually rather emjoyable as the session wore on.

Overall this was one of the more unique beers I have tried. Way way fruity and full of complex flavors, and over the top with the alcohol, to the point I probably should not have gone at this one alone. Somehow, someway they brewed this to be very drinkable. You gotta try this at least once for the novelty sake of it, though at 20 bucks its a bit of a far cry from pure novelty. Still this was really much better then I had expected and I would really recommend trying this.

2.6/5  rDev -29%

Presentation: 750 ml bottle, just above room temp.

Appearance: nice deep red color, minor head, as expected for this type of "beer".

Smell: Great raspberry aroma, with some sourness reminiscent of a geuze.

Taste: Way too sweet for my palate. Not a big fan of the high malt:bitter ratio. Hard to drink more than 1/2 a glass.

Notes: I love DFH, I'm a big fan of the 60, 90, 120, Aprihop, Lawnmower, etc... so I wanted to like this one. But after about 5 sips it becomes undrinkable. If you are prone to try it ... split it with some friends!

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%

Like another reviewer, I wanted to like this one better than I did. The fruit is nice, but it is more in the nose than on the palate, and the kick almost overwhelms everything. It was actually better after it had warmed a bit and lost some of its carbonation. I would drink it again, but not regularly, and more to share as a novelty than for the simple pleasure of drinking it.

3.48/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured an aprocot orange color with a quarter finger of white that melted immediately to nothing.

Aroma is a soft raspberries and candied sugars.

Flavors of raspberries, honey, candied sugars, and slightly toasted amber malts. Alcohol is more felt that tasted as the other flavors cover everything else.

Aftertaste is surprisingly clean...not cloying like I would have expected.
A very interesting fruit beer, to be sure.

4.34/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

From a 750 mL bottled in Nov. 2005, purchased at Beer World in Largo in Feb. 2007.

Pours a nice light tan -- perhaps red? -- color without much head.

It has a great aroma of raspberries. I even smelled them as I was pouring my first glass. There are also aromas of alcohol and earth.

The taste is fruity and wine-like, but there are still plenty of beer flavors, unlike DFH's Black and Blue. The fruit tartness mixes with earthy grain flavors to create quite the complex beer.

The body is smooth and slick, no doubt because of the high ABV.

This is a very drinkable fruit beer, especially considering it is 18 percent. Dogfish Head continues to create very interesting beers. I'd have this beer again, but for its $19 price.

4.12/5  rDev +12.6%

750 ml bottle with a bottled on date of 11/13/06. Fort pours a reddish/amber color with a half inch off-white head which went away very quickly. It smells fruity, like raspberries, plums, sherry and alcohol. Just pouring the beer into the glass the aroma comes out very quickly. You can definitely taste the alcohol in this brew, it tastes like tart (but not too tart) berries, pears and alcohol (port/sherry). The alcohol does hit you at first, but after a little while it settles down and the warming isn't bad at all. Obviously, more of the flavors comes out as the beer warms up a little bit. There's also a nice sweet fruity aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium/full, with a good amount of carbonation. It's also a little syrupy and dry. Drinkability is very good, considering the 18% ABV. But it's definitely a sipping/dessert beer. The next time I drink one of these, I'm going to split it with someone instead of drinking the whole bottle myself like I just did. Another good, creative effort from DFH. I'd recommend it to others to try at least once.

2.97/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle, dated 11/13/06 - the head dissipates quickly, leaving only an off-white ring around the top of a dark orange beer. It looks almost like an iced tea, perhaps a bit darker.

Smell is raspberry and apple. A little menacing; not terribly sweet. These are definitely green apples. Granny Smith is angry at you for some reason.

Taste is dominated by alcohol. There's a tartness that creeps in at the end, but I honestly don't get much but booze. This would be good with something that cuts that a little, like a soft and creamy cheese. The apple is a bit more prominent to me than the raspberry, with a fairly strong sour flavor.

It's fairly thin, and seems quite carbonated. Almost feels prickly.

I wanted to like this a lot more than I actually did. It's enormously strong, and I couldn't finish more than a glass or so. Would have been much better with an appropriate companion plate of some kind. I'll try this again sometime, but not soon.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Presentation - 750ml served in medium snifter freshness date states 11/13/06 bottling
A - Ruby red/deep chesnut hued ale with a thin white head that leaves almost no lacing

S - Aromas of alchol that are sherry like, cedar and dry raspberry and mellow plum scents

M & T - Effervescent with tinges of sweet raspberry followed by honey and woody sour cherry. Flavors of currant and cardomom are accompanied by warming presence of alcohol Dances lightly on the tongue with substantial depth.

D - Not a very drinkable ale albeit a sweet and flavorful one. Strength is deceptive and might make for a better digestif than and aperitiff.

2.93/5  rDev -19.9%

This is a very complex, confusing, and not very drinkable beer! It is tart, sour, high in alcohol and not very drinkable, making it the doppelganger of Lindemann's framboise, which was the first lambic I ever had. It has many different flavors - it is quite alcohol tasting (18% ABV!) but also has a powerful sourness and abundant apple and cherry fruitiness. There is also a fair amount of spiciness. You would not drink this at the same times you would drink other beers. Recommended despite a distinct lack of drinkability.

Color was a bright ruby red/orange. Aroma was very sour and fruity with some maltiness. I've already commented extensively on flavor. This beer is rather undrinkable; I love sour, but there are Flemish sours that are much more drinkable than this beer. But this and my other criticisms aside, this beer is something that you've got to try!

4.01/5  rDev +9.6%

Bright orange hue to the body buy almost a complete lack of head or lacing don't make it look all that special.

On the other hand, this couldn't smell any better. The alcohol is aggressive but as it has time to breathe the aromas form a delectable combo that could best be summed up as a raspberry truffle. A knockout in this category.

Alcohol is obvious but as it calms down the raspberry is what this is all about. Tasty although there is a touch of solvent-like finish. Otherwise, a wonderful sipper.

Mouthfeel is viscous but it's almost 20 freakin' % ABV, what do you expect. It's certainly not a beer with high drinkability but it's a great treat to split with a group. We paired it with some high quality chocolate and thought it was divine.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

Amber in color with a copper/reddish hue. A negligible amount of head appears after a vigorous pour.

Smell is of candy sugar, alcohol and ripened fruit. Taste begins with tart, ripened berries and quickly develops into an alcohol tinged finish. Good lord alcohol is right out there. Not undrinkable, but you feel it, and the drinkability suffers as a result. I don't regret the purchase, but it will not be bought again. Share this one with friends or be prepared to be on your ass. Cheers.

4.57/5  rDev +24.9%

Poured from bottle into a goblet of sorts. Nice color, exactly what one would expect with the pureed raspberries. Nice white head. Smelled pleasantly of berries and alcohol. First taste was very powerful. The alcohol give it almost a spicy/cinnamon flavor, which combines nicely with the sweetness of the raspberries. If one holds it in the mouth for a bit, allowing it to hit different parts of the tongue, the alcohol becomes more evident, but still goes down easy. Aftertaste is of berries and a bit of malt. Very drinkable, especially sitting outside on a hot sunny day. After about 1/4 of the bottle, I drank the rest while eating a roast beef panini, and it was an excellent combination. I think it would also go well with a chocolate torte or some other heavy meal or dessert. Can't wait to get another bottle of this!

2.27/5  rDev -38%

Orange golden red semi transparent body. Big white head, tan after agitation, rocky and fluffy with mostly medium to large bubbles. Good retention and clumpy lace.
The smell is a big whack of fresh sweet raspberries. Only a hint of alcohol.
Damn, the taste does not live up to the pleasant smell. The alcohol burn is way too strong and blurs out the other flavors that hopelessly tries to emerge. The raspberries poke through for just a moment but then are gone.
The aftertaste and mouthfeel is similar to listerine, yuck.
Much to expensive to be a drainpour, but alas it is.

4.46/5  rDev +21.9%

A luxurious treat....the smell is of raspberries and alcohol, not surpisingly....mouthfeel is a little thick at first but finishes drier....The alcohol is well-masked, I find, and I would find it hard to believe another recent reviewer's contention that the alcohol is higher than 18%...I've nearly finished a bottle and am still feeling fairly coherent. Altogether the flavor is very pleasing--the raspberry taste dominates without at all becoming cough-syrupy. I plan to have this again, but with a) friends and b) some sort of dessert.

3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

Eye: This beer pours a nice pinkish amber copper, with golden highlights-the color right at the bottom of the glass. Its cloudy appearance is due most likely to the wheat in the malt bill. Head poured at about one finger and receded to a think creamy foam leaving some nice lacing. Better head retention would be nice.

Nose: Fruit character evident. Smells much like a white wine, like a dessert type of wine. There are notes of alcohol in the aroma. Raspberry aromas are also evident and there are some malted wheat aromas in there.

Tongue: Tastes a lot like a fruit wine, or perhaps even honey mead. Has some real hot flavors from the alcohol. The alcohol is very evident in the flavor, you can flat out say "Here's alcohol and this is what it tastes like." Not much of the fruit flavor comes through over the alcohol, its there but not nearly as strong as I would've thought. The sweetness from the raspberries lingers on the tongue as the alcohol overloads the tastebuds, yet its there if you try to not focus on the alcohol. For a fruit beer I'd say that its nowhere near as fruity as I would've liked, but as a high octane brew, well its pretty good.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Very light and thin mouthfeel, not much body, again more like a lightly carbonated wine. Hot from the high alcohol, warms a bit as it goes down. This is a beer I'd come back to if I wanted something high in abv, as for its characteristics as a fruit beer I'll probably not be buying it again. I mean when one buys a fruit beer one wants something fruity and in essence-excuse the stereotype-"girly." I've a feeling though that by the end of this bottle I'll be drunk. Next time I feel like getting drunk off of classier beer I think that this brew is the route to go...17 dollars, classy beer. This will probably last one the whole night. Get you feeling good right away.

3.92/5  rDev +7.1%

Wow...this fruit beer is simply gnarly! Had this at the Dogfish Head brewmaster dinner at Bobbique. Poured into a red wine glass, it was blush colored and had a small but fine white head. Large and fumey aromas of berry alcohol. The beer is brewed with tons of raspberries but I also noted the characteristics of strawberries in there as well. Taste was extremely smooth with a tight raspberry/strawberry flavor dominating the palate with a notable hop presence too. I learned from brewery reps that the ABV is actually more often closer to 24% than 18! A very tasty brew that will knock you on your ass if you don't watch yourself. Open this bottle with friends or else!

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Dogfish Head Fort pours out a fluffy head over a pretty,
cloudy red brew. Carbonation is really active, and the
nose is exactly like fresh-picked raspberries. The flavor
is intense- raspberry of course, but also oak and alcohol.
The finish is a bit of hop and more fresh raspberry. The after-
taste, like the nose, is fresh raspberries. So the experience
gives you a soft, pleasant beginning, an intense second act,
and a gentle goodbye. The intensity does moderate as the
brew warms. The mouthfeel is very crisp indeed, a bit dry, and
a lot warming.

It doesn't say on the label, but a quick check of the Dogfish
Head website reveals that this brew is 18% alcohol, which makes
Fort the most powerful beer I've tasted up to this moment. That
alcohol is at once a problem and an opportunity. In my opinion this
is a remarkable brew- right now, as, I assume, a fairly young brew, it
is right on the razor's edge- if it was just a little more alcoholic, it would
be too much. This brew stays just on the good side of being out of control.
On the other hand, all that alcohol makes this the perfect candidate for
cellaring- this massive brew can only improve with age. But at whatever
age you crack this baby open, do it with friends- it only comes in 750ml
bottles, and that's almost too much- even for me...

4.11/5  rDev +12.3%

Gave up after 4 months of cellaring and popped open the 750, served it a bit cooler than usual since I knew the two of us working this would be at it for over an hour with an AbV like this!

Poured into my tulip, a surprising orange colour. Not as red as raspberries made me think, but dark and orange. No head to talk about, but a very clear serum.

Smell is booze! After the first wave hits you, it's raspberries and perfume. Flowery and warm with a surprising characteristic I wasn't expecting - beer! From the description alone, I figured this would be a fizzy bottle of schnapps, but no, the malt is full and expressed, like a very very fine belgian. The yeast even makes a brief appearance in the nose. Fruity, yes, but meaty, too!

The taste is well, boozey. Vodka-boozey. Tart, sweet, hot. The raspberries become more floral if anything, the malt fades back, perhaps becomes more wheatey. Undertones of chalk, chocolate, and perhaps a single, solitary hop or pine needle.

Mouthfeel is only syrupy at times - I think the incredibly sweetness makes you want to describe it as thicker than it really is. Not much carbonation, sadly, but you'll get all the tingles you could want from the burning sensation! As drinkable as you'd expect, and the way the taste changs with the temperature keeps things interesting.

One to try, since I couldn't hope to accurately describe it. Worth the near-twenty dollars, and a good time even if you don't like it. Maybe we should change the term from 'hammered' to 'raspberried'.

3.34/5  rDev -8.7%

I let this one sit for about an hour after taking it out of the fridge. It poured a cloudy orange color with a fair sized head that disappeared within about 60 seconds. No doubt about the raspberries in the aroma! Didn't smell much other than that, and it was pleasant. Taste was a surprise. The first thing I tasted was the alcohol and the warming was HOT! It had an interesting flavor, more bitter than sweet - like raspberries soaked in hop juice with a little hint of malt in the background. I didn't mind the taste, but I'm due to the heaviness and the alcohol this one's a little low on drinkability for me. Still, not a bad beer for a fruit beer, since the fruit wasn't too overwhelming. I'm pretty sure drinking this whole huge bottle will leave me with quite a buzz, making this one worth the $16 price tag!

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from 750ml bottle into a red wine glass. Bottled on date 11/13/06

Appearance: Dark red/amber. Pours a 1 inch thick fluffy white head. Very, very murky in color.

Smell: what do you know! Raspberries!!! Smells is of very sweet raspberry and alcohol.

Taste: RASPBERRY! is the first thing you taste and taste all the way through, hop flavor isnt very noticable. Certainly extremely high malt and sweetness come through and leaves a very noticable taste of alcohol when swallowed.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and sweet almost like cough syrup. The alcohol is certainly there and dries out the mouth and makes you salivate.

Overall: Certainly a very unique beverage that pushes the envelope and even expands the definition of what beer is. Extremely high a/c makes this one a slow sipper to be shared amongst friends and to discuss the different feelings that are had about it.

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours from the 750ml bottle (awesome artwork I might add) into my glass a clear light orange/red tone, a bit lighter than I was expecting, not much head to speak of but at 18% abv that's to be expected. Aromas start with pureed raspberries and some light graininess. Quite fruity with a touch of alcohol in the background. Maybe a touch of vanilla as well with a light hop buried within.

First sip brings a mix of natural raspberry puree and a bit of wheat graininess. Mixed fruit flavors meld in as well with a touch of vanilla. Lightly sweet but very well balanced overall. Flows down with a touch of hops on the finish and a light alcohol burn. This one ends up hiding the alcohol quite well compared to a few other high abv DFH brews I've tried. A damn tasty fruit beer overall.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the lighter side and is quite smooth as well. Nice steady carbonation. Fairly easy to drink for such a huge brew. It will definetly catch up with you after a bit. A good one to split for sure and my girlfriend even likes it too. One of the best high abv Dogfish head brews I have sampled. I'll be looking for another bottle again soon...this is a tasty treat.

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours a clear garnet with a small, quickly falling white head. Viniferous, sweet aroma. Taste is a smooth, ruby port with a hint of bitterness, and a sweet, tangy finish. Light, creamy mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

This is great as a dessert drink; awesome with cheese, panna cotta, etc. Hides its strength well.

2.54/5  rDev -30.6%

Very hazy. Thin light tan head dissipates very quickly. Thin lacing is left behind.

Smells of Raspberry Tea.

Very strange. Yes I taste the raspberries, but ith has a strange ketchup like flavor to it. This is so sour, it makes my tounge curl a bit.

This is a strange brew to me. I can't give it too a negative review based on my inexperience. Give it a try.

I still love you DFH brewery.

3.48/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from a 750ml brown bottle at home. Cool artwork on the front.

A: Deep amber, ruby coloring. Thin head that disappears pretty quickly.
S: Lots of fruity raspberry, sharp alcohol, and sweet malt.
T: The raspberry hits the palate first, very sweet, but not overly tart or sour. Followed by the huge ABV. Finishes with a small hop dryness. The flavor is good – the alcohol makes it a little tough.
M: Thick, syrupy, mouth-coating. Not a whole lot of carbonation.
D: Again, difficult with such a high level of alcohol.

I’d love to age this beer for a year or two. I think the alcohol would probably subside a little and mellow with the raspberry. I respect the style and what they’re going for – just not really my thing.

4.1/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

1 pint 9 0z. bottle split with jramey2

A: Pours a bright reddish brown, can't see through it. Not much head.

S: Smells like sour raspberries.Think I detect a bit of yeast in the smell as well.

T. Tastes like raspberries and alcohol. Not sour like in the smell, a bit sweet, rather The high ABV doesn't mask it's presence so well likein the Raison D'Extra.

M:Medium body, more carbonation than I expected.

D: About a drinkable as a 18% ABV beer can be.

The world's strongest fruit beer is another good offering from Dogfish Head.

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery