Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

First, I liked this, but as I was having dinner at a local gastropub with a great draft list, I put this on my tasting list at the end of the meal, as or with dessert.

It was served in a small, six oz snifter. In the glass, it was dark orange color, hazy with a 1/4 inch of tight packed foam on the top when I got it. The nose was huge, with lots of tart raspberries and sweetness. The first taste is lots of raspberry and sweetness, with a little subtle bread in the back of the throat. I didn't pick up on the alcohol the way I should have. My wife tried it, who doesn't like beer, and said she liked it. The mouthfeel was lighter than I thought as well, only slightly heavy, with more carbonation than I expected. Overall, this was a very good sipper for dessert, and saved me from eating something I shouldn't.

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

2.15/5  rDev -41.6%

I had high expectations of this beer after the owner of the local beer shop raved about it. She had me totally convinced that this beer would be the best I had ever tasted. She described it as "chocolate covered raspberries".

Not . . . so . . . much. I poured it into a glass. It had a minimal amount of head and was amber and cloudy in color.

The smell was very sweet. It had a hint of raspberry, but that was soon followed by a high alcohol smell. It smelled almost like a raspberry cough syrup.

I've had many a fruit beer in my day and others pull it off exceptionally well with genuine fruit flavors. Even though this one is brewed with raspberries is has a very artificial flavor to it. That coupled with the burn from the high ABV created that cough syrup flavor.

I couldn't get away from the syrupy feel of this beer. It was hard to describe because it wasn't like a thicker beer. It was thick but sugary at the same time.

I'm glad the woman told me she would give me my money back if I didn't like it. I did finish off the bottle, but didn't really enjoy it at all. It was too artificial tasting. It's what I would expect from the cheaper versions of flavored beer.

3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

Sampling as I write this in a 4 oz. Intuition ale works tumbler from the bottle.

I'll keep the review simple. It's raspberry 120. Do you like Dogfish Head's 120 minute IPA? It's a raspberry version of that.

A: Pours a nice golden amber with a slight 1/2" head that dissipates fast. Leaves minimal lacing with a slight halo of cat spit around the rim. Carbonation is minimal.

S: Smells of raspberries and warming alcohol.

T: Overwhelming rum notes similar to DFH 120. Very sweet with all of the supplemental raspberry/corn sugar feedings, this doesn't surprise me. Best consumed cold to prevent the alcohol from turning your mouth into a volcano. Once your tastebuds die back a bit from the alcohol, the raspberry flavors overwhelm. Hops have no chance against this beer and aren't detectable at all. Tastes like lambic vs. appleton white rum.

M: Sharp stinging sensation from the high alcohol leaves the mouth astringent, dry and tasting like raspberry vapors. Very hard to get over the alcohol presence.

O: Great for anyone that wants a fast buzz that loves raspberries and hates hops. It's like lambic on acid and will definitely git ya drunk.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into a crystal mug the beer was a slightly hazy medium orange gold. A off white creamy head builds about one and a half finger high and dissipates relatively fast with leaving good lacing.
The smell is raspberry all the way, with some malt in the back.
Tasting the beer those flavors will arrive in the same order. The hops will mellow the sweetness of the raspberries slightly, but not enough. But it is a fruit beer, and therefore that is ok in my book. The alcohol is there, but well hidden for the high ABV of 18 percent.
I really liked this beer as for what it was designed for!

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

A: orange/mild cloudy, finger white head,
nice lacing

S: big raspberry nose, boozy, vanilla, jam

T: huge raspberry, hint of cherry, mild malt,
vanilla, boozy/sticky/sour finish

M: med body, big sticky/pucker mouth

O: Interesting. Glad I tried it, don't
know if I would get again. BIG SiPPER!
Share with friends. Reminds me of
strawberry wine when I lived in the South.

GOOD, NOT MUST HAVE!