Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

2006 edition poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Copper colored with some red highlights. Good 1 to 1 1/2 finger head that lasts. Some lacing, but not a lot.

Smell - First impression is raspberry, then mingling with alcohol and yeast. It doesn't smell overly sweet.

Taste - Hints of raspberries, with less sweetness than I expected. And then I got hit with an alcohol bomb. The alcohol is way too pronounced in this one. I thought letting it sit around for 18 months would mellow it a bit. Obviously not. No balance at all. I like my beer to at least remind me of beer.

Mouthfeel - The high carbonation is great, but the alcohol is again just too much.

Drinkability - Between the price and the difficulty drinking, I really don't think too highly of this beer. I have had moonshine that is easier to drink.

This is not one of my favorite DFH beers. No balance or subtlety here. Try one of their other extreme beers instead.

Sponan, Feb 25, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

Picked this one up at Grape Vine Market, and split it with my Fiancée on Valentine's Day.

Split a 750ml between 2 pint glasses.

Appearance - It is hazy translucent brownish amber red color. It produced a 1 1/2 finger rocky head that lasted quite a while - good retention. It didn't leave much lacing behind, but then again, it is 18% ABV.

Smell - There is a scent here that is similar to champagne yeast, and a tartness that is very strong. There is a strong raspberry scent, as well as the overpowering scent of booze. All of the smells are tied in with the booze on this one.

Taste - I wasn't so keen on the taste of this one. It tasted like raspberries and grain alcohol, and not much else. I felt like this beer was a one trick pony. There is a tartness and a sweetness which are both closely tied to the raspberries, but the booze pretty much overpowers all of the other flavors. This beer is seriously imbalanced.

Mouthfeel - It is medium bodied. This one is lively - highly effervescent. There is a definite alcohol burn from this one.

Drinkability - I respect DFH for what they do, but I didn't like this one so much. I didn't finish it - I let my lady finish the rest of mine. It didn't go done well, and it isn't easy to drink. This was a struggle. I am glad I tried it once, but I don't ever see myself buying another 18$ bottle.

MiguelMandingo, Feb 20, 2008

Got this one at the DFH Alehouse in Falls Creek, VA, poured into a snifter. $26 for a 750ml bottle, which was absurdly expensive, but I split it with three friends. This one's not really a fruit beer as expected. A little more interesting. Pours a fairly good looking amber/copper color with a very slight touch of head on top. No real head. It's kind of a weird combination of barley wine and fruit beer, tons of raspberries thrown in there as well. Lots of spicy goodness. Body is fairly full and syrupy, as I said, barley-wine-esque. Not one you could drink a bunch of, but splitting up it works at well. Overall, this one's alright I dunno, this one was very interesting for a fruit beer. A lot more beery, with some interesting malt flavors, and then with some raspberries thrown in, than most fruit beers. Very tasty, although it took a minute to throw down.

soupyman10, Feb 19, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

25.6 fl oz brown bottle; served in an oversized wine glass.
Bottled on July 09, 2007.

Pours a light raspberry, hazy-dirty camel coloration. Thin, filmy off-white sheet that gathers as a thin ring of bubbles around the rim of the wine glass. A few drops of lacing with the expected difficulty in sticking to the wine glass.

Slick, almost intensely sweet maltiness. Mild notes of tartness, but more noticeable vinous fruity esters: raisin, and plum. Lingering notes of caramel and toffee with a port-like alcohol aroma. Big and complex.

Bright and tart fruity esters immediately that last to the finish, but become less sour as the sip melds with the other flavors. Raspberry, lemon, orange, and apple. Near mid-sip is a darker caramel and milk chocolate sweetness. The alcohol presence is very mellow like an aged port, but still very intense. The flavor complexities are bold, yet balanced. What a unique concoction.

Medium bodied; slickly creamy. Not quite gaseous, which is surprising for a brew at 18% abv, and not too acidic either.

Bold, balanced, and complex with a pleasant texture. The only problem is the alcohol content. I made the mistake of drinking this one on my own, and I have a feeling that I'll need to recap half of the bottle and enjoy the rest tomorrow. This extreme offering should definitely be shared.

NEhophead, Feb 18, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +6%

Bought this over Christmas for myself and my gf to enjoy on Valentine's Day. Didn't know the ABV at the time. No wonder it was so expensive and no wonder I've never seen it in GA.

A - thick, syrupy, molasses, with off-white head

S - tart, fruity, raspberries!, hints of alcohol

T - tart, very fruity, sweet, alcohol really comes through

M - solid, smooth, nice carbonation

D - haha wow. Well, this is something I'd wanted to try and I certainly have now. Can definitely feel the alcohol. I'd buy it again perhaps next winter, but I don't know that I can rationalize the price as a student =(
Still, worth trying.

ruckzuck, Feb 15, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

750ml bottle, served in a Chimay goblet. It pours cloudy golden brown, with a effervescent head that quickly dissolves. The smell hits me before I even get my nose near the class, the carbonation propelling it far & wide. Its full of fruit, raspberries, apricots, red wine and a nuttiness. I like it! The taste is like port wine with a sharp raspberry edge. Lots of caramel and fruit. Very good but it tastes young. I think I'll have to buy another bottle & age it, I'd love to see how the sugars mellow over time. Strong alcohol finish. Wow! I feel that one. The mouthfeel is syrupy but crisp, just velvety smoooth. The drinkability is good but this one needs pairing. Perhaps with a strong cheese or some dark chocolate.

roblowther, Feb 01, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a cloudy tangerine amber color with a full finger loose orange tinted head that fades fairly quickly. The smell is incredibly sweet and fruity; like a sangria. The mouth feel is lightly carbonated, thick and syrupy. The flavor is sweeter than it smells. A big berry fruit taste with a solid sweet wine alcohol character that's got a bright tartness without being sour. This one is a real sipper. Way too sweet and heavy for me. It's almost like a fruity barleywine, if you can imagine that.

jjayjaye, Jan 27, 2008
3.68/5  rDev 0%

Pours a hazy orange/red with a fizzy head, made lots of noise as it quickly died down to nothing.

Smell is quite tart smelling, bit of sweetness, can easily make out the raspberry aroma.

Whoa, the taste is quite potent. I didn't know the ABV before trying it, but now I can definitely tell it's 18%. Taste is also quite tart, my mouth is puckering from each drink. Lots of carbonation in the mouth, but works for this beer. Quite a bit alcohol burn in the mouth and warms the belly pretty quickly. I have a feeling this would be much better if they toned down the strength.

deltatauhobbit, Jan 26, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -7.6%

pours a light red/amber haze with a ring of white around the edge of the top where the head would normally be. the smell is actually a bit unpleasant, like a raspberry tussen nose, almost puts me off. the taste is pretty good, like frambiose meets barleywine and I'm talking the strong points of them both. a good flavorful beginning with that smooth barleywine finish and a lingering razz after-taste. the mouth-feel is smooth peaks in the middle with some crispness and goes back to smooth on the finish. it is not easy to put this one back, slow drinker but that's to be expected for it's abv. a worthy beer, i'd recommend it.

irishevans, Jan 24, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Fort pours a thick hazy dark peachy brown with little tiny head that soon dissappears. The nose is of raspberry and robitussin. The first taste is of nice sugary thick raspberry, but not fresh tasting. Raspberries are there and strong but they are a really fermented flavor. Some other dark fruits and a little bit of spice go well in here. Alcohol burn is hot on the finish and warms to the bottom of the belly. Mouthfeel is thick and chewy. Drinkability is high for 18%, but it can only be so high. I think this will be quite the after dinner treat after a few years in the cellar. Good, but I think it will be significantly better in a few.

AKBelgianBeast, Jan 24, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into an oversized wine glass. Fortunately I can seal the bottle with a wine stopper and enjoy the rest of the bottle over the next few days.

A. Pours a week tea looking color with a wispy head that refuses to leave. Highly carbonated like a champagne.

S. Raspberrys are predominant. I first took the beer straight from the refrigerator to the glass. At first the raspberry aroma was muted, but as I cupped the glass, the aroma began to grow. Again, a sweet but subtle raspberry scent.

T. This tastes of raspberrys, but the abv is overwhelming. This brew is a bit hot, but still warming. I am curious to see how this ages, as it shares many of the qualitys of a champagne and many of them flourish.

M. This is strange but the strong vinous taste causes this to strongly resemble a Boone's Farm in this respect. Very pleasant but hardly reserved.

D. Very drinkable for the ABV. Perhaps too drinkable...

Thank you to stopbarking for gifting this beer. Maybe a choice for that toast...

MarkSCCOT, Jan 24, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -14.9%

My friend picked up a 750 of this from Abe's in Bethlehem and split it with me. Poured into two pint glasses.

Somewhat cloudy, orangeish liquid with more head and better retention than i expected based on its 18% ABV and left only a tiny bit of lacing.

Smell is sweet and tart, full of raspberry and quite a bit of warm booze. Taste is similar, taste is so strong on the raspberry, was actually a bit tough to get through. Took me quite a bit of time to get through my half of this bottle, but i did finish it. Glad to have tried it, but there were dozens of beers at Abe's that we could have gotten for half the price that would have been better.

wheelinshirt, Jan 22, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

I must admit, this disappointed me... Admittedly, I expected a lot, but I was left unimpressed.

A - Dark reddish, with a light pink to orange head.

S - Fruity and sweet and alcoholic. Very different than a Raspberry Lambic.

T - The alcohol punches through the other flavors... you can definitely taste the raspberry and malty flavors, but the alcohol is pervasive.

M - Maybe the best part of this beer, it feels great. Smooth and bubbly, and goes down nicely.

D - Couldn't drink more than one glass... glad I was sharing the 750.

tprokop7, Jan 20, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

I first had this at the Boston Beer Fest with
Sam himself pouring and it was the biggest hit
at the Fest. Big lines and Sam trying his best to give out a taste sample and with
everybody going back for more, I don't think
it lasted very long. It has a unique
taste but although its strong it has many flavors
mixing around the raspberry theme. Its an outstanding addition to the extreme side of
beers/ale. Its creamy, with a candied sweetness
that quickly moves past the alcohol, tartness
and a touch of some kind of lime, interesting
nightcap to say the least. Got this for a 50th
birthday gift and had to open it right away.
Classy stuff from a great craft brewer. Sam
you are amoung the best out there, keep it up!

littlebibs, Jan 19, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

750ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a slightly hazy amber. Has some initial head which is suprising for the high abv. Leaves some lace.

Smell pops you in the face! Tart raspberries and sweet fruit as well. Some noticable alcohol and a hint of brown sugar.

Taste is good. Of course raspberries, but not overwhelming. Heat and fruit are intertwined in a dance to the death.

Overall, an interesting beer. If you like fruit and monster abv then you will love this beer. This is the brew that exemplifies the "Extreme Beer" movement.

bluegrassbrew, Jan 13, 2008

serving: bottle served in a snifter

appearance: A reddish-orange hue

smell: A really strong scent of raspberries

taste: Tart Raspberries

mouthfeel: Full mouthfeel

drinkability: A great after dinner beer with a rich dessert such as cheesecake or rich chocolate.

Reminds me of Celis Raspberry back in the day before they were bought out.

devilmatic, Jan 08, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle poured into Reidel port glass.

A = Cloudy reddish, orange, frothy but no real head. Steady carbonation and coats the glass when swirled.

S = Fruity sweet highlights with an underlying tang of gingerale or some other sweet sprightly smell.

T = Frankly the taste is the biggest drawback of this drink. Although it enters the mouth sweetly as soon as it hits the back of the mounth there is an acerbic quality, then flowing back to the midtongue is a violent herbal medicine taste followed by a serious alcohol kick. It may get better with age, but I doubt it.

M - Medium body, good mouth coating, nice level of frothy, tickling carbonation.

D = Everyone should try this beer, but I think it is best drunk as a dessert beer after a big dinner and with a fruity but rich dessert, maybe a strawberry cheesecake.

Traquairlover, Jan 06, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured into a chalice glass, this is a very murky beer. It is slow to develop a head, and that dissipates quickly after it forms. Strong, sweet raspberry aroma, to the exclusion of anything else. Very heady beer, strongly alcoholic from the start. Raspberries in abundance, and generally sweet, but fortunately not cloying. Dogfish Head does have a lot of skill at making a reasonably drinkable extreme-alcohol beer, I admit. But this one is fairly one-dimensional compared to something like their Raison d'Extra. Interesting concept, but not that interesting of a beer.

allengarvin, Jan 04, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a unique orange and golden color. A strange, but alluring shimmer to this beer. It almost seems to change color as you move the glass. Looks like it might glow in the dark. Little head and no lacing, but I wasn't expecting much to begin with.

Rasberries up front, really strong, sort of like a rasberry flavored cough syrup (alcohol). Not unappealing though. Some hints of spices. A little vanilla maybe. Actually a little disappointing. I expected more.

Good stuff. Fruity, but not too fruity. Strangely well balanced mix of flavors. Very smooth, almost sticky feeling in the throat. Warming. Tasty and unusual...

...but still pretty hard to drink at times. That cough syrup character sticks throughout. It's not bad, but it makes it harder to keep picking up the glass. Add in the 18% ABV and the $20/bottle price tag and you pretty much have to call this a great one-time beer experience.

skillerified, Dec 31, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured into snifter from the tap at Dogfish Head brewpub in Rehoboth.

A: Amber color with a pinkish hazy hue to it. Bubbly carbonation, champagne like at first and minimal amounts of lacing on the pour.

S: Raspberry and fruit sweetness and then a bit more sweetmess and raspberries. This does not smell like a beer at all, and alcohol really not evident yet..

T: Here comes more of the raspberries, and the sweetness- and the alcohol does make its presence felt. Did not enjoy this one too much, far prefer the other DFH big beers but this is more of a hard mixer, not pleasurable to me.

M: Champagne like fizz matching the taset. There is a cloying sweetness and it is matched by the alcohol remaining in the back of the palate.

D: Not very drinkable based on the sweetness overbearingness and the high levels of alchohol. Would strongly prefer DFH other high price, high alcohol offerings by far (WW, 120, and others)

This is one of those beers that leaves you wondering afterward if it really is a beer? Not such a good thing to me but interesting. I could see it being a good drink with a dessert or as a sipper. It really takes something special foodwise to cut through the sweetness of this thing.

marcpal, Dec 30, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -9.5%

Bottled November 2005, Sampled December 2007
Another beer that has been sitting ominously in the back of my fridge since I bought a bottle in its first 750ml release. The beer pours with a frothy, though thin, pale, off-white colored head. The beer is absolutely, stunningly, brilliantly clear and is a pink hued, deep golden color. The aroma smells strongly of raspberry cough-syrup, with just a faint wisp of rotten raspberry pulp. The raspberry notes are fairly complex, with a full fleshy, skin-like and even woody seed character to it. Having said all that, it is pretty one-dimensionally raspberry driven.

Not nearly as sticky and sweet as I was expecting, it is even somewhat light. The beer is sweet though, but not cloying and it has a clean raspberry flavor to it that is not nearly as syrup-like as I expected. Clean notes of raspberry pulp, mix with a touch of oxidized, sherry like, malt and only a hint of warming alcohol in the finish. The beer is fairly carbonated, which helps to lighten thing up a bit as well. Raspberry notes dominate the flavor profile, with just a hint of aged and caramelized malt character noticeable.

That slightly rancid aromatic note seems to pick up a bit with time, though it never really becomes entirely off-putting. This beer is not nearly as bad as I was expecting (I was expecting something more cloying and syrup-like), but it is not all that great either. Worth trying, but I just can't seem to get into these super high gravity beers. I wonder if an unfiltered version of these beers would be more complex tasting, cause that is really my main complaint. These come off tasting so clean as to be down-right simplistic in character.

Gueuzedude, Dec 27, 2007
2.17/5  rDev -41%

This is some pricey stuff. The wife and I considered it a special occasion bottle and took it over to some friends house to share over dinner.
I gotta say that the label, designed by Tara McPherson, has the cutest cartoon female I think I've ever seen. Well, her and the Esurance one. The drink itself looks nice too. At first pour it reminds me a bit like apple cider but given a minute in the glass it takes on a summer at dusk orange look. You can smell the alcohol in it. No doubt about that. The raspberry scent raps itself around it. Very interesting. We adjusted our tastebuds accordingly, clinked our glasses and took a sip. Then we all looked at each other.
"Ugh! Cough medicine" was everyone's first reaction. Follow up tastes didn't change much from that. I don't know if that was DFH's intention or if they need to experiment more with the idea. From start to finish it very medicinal and drying. Ethanol was mentioned more than once. The raspberry taste seems it more of the seed than the fruit and any sweetness that comes from it is hanging on heavy and thick to the alcohol making the whole damn thing unpleasant. All of us there are Dogfish Head fans. We wanted to get around the idea of Fort expecting something a bit juicy and sweet and knew we'd be getting a bit more kick but couldn't get into it. Especially at 18 bucks for a 750 mil bottle.

Dalem, Dec 26, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

poured the color of a dried apricot with a fizzy head that disappeared about a quickly as it formed.

Raspberries noticable but nowhere near as sweet or fruit forward as I had imagined. for some reason I thought there was going to be a raspberry puree vibe to the nose. That said it's still a nice nose.

Taste is pretty monochromatic. Obviously raspberry, but it tastes like raspberry flavor dumped into a barley wine. Not all I had hoped for but not awful.

A bit slick in the mouth, thinish body with a dry finish.

Woah watch out for this one ,it'll put you down quick if you're not careful

DaggerEyes, Dec 22, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +6%

hazy redish pink grapefruity with a fizzy white head that dissipates pretty quickly and leaves a little lace. can't knock this one too much though for appearance because of the super high abv. smells of sweet sweet real raspberry, sugar and sweet malt with some booze. quite pleasant if you ask me. taste is truly unique, and far from a lambic. boozy finish, but not too bad. hard to drink too much of this, but quite a nice dessert beer. went really well with ice cream.

timtim, Dec 16, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a clear reddish orange with a small layer of off white foam and a thick crown. Nice fresh raspberry aroma, citrus zest, some alcohol ester but not like expected, and a bit caramel malt in the back. Hot alcohol off the bat but does calm down after of few sips. Fresh raspberries again that’s balanced with tart citrus and a straw, wheat character keeps the fruit from going overboard. Characters of buttery malt, diacetyl, hints of vanilla, and sweetness that’s between saccharin and honey. Mouthfeel is rather pleasurable, full with a near silkiness and good creaminess with the carbonation standing up to the 18 abv. This beer exceeded expectations in many ways, and ended up being dangerously drinkable.

cabsandking, Dec 14, 2007