Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured into oversized wine glass:

Pours reddish orange with a thin head that recedes - but, nice retention for abv.

The smell is of raspberries with bready (pie-crust) notes. Smells like raspberry pie soaked in alcohol.

The taste is of raspberry liqueur. Aging this one for over a year, but alcohol is still sharp. This is more of a raspberry liqueur than a beer, though there is a bit of carbonation. The raspberry is not "artificial" or syrupy (well, maybe a bit). But, in the end, it tastes like those "red hot" candies I had as a kid with tabasco sauce. Chambord on steroids. Hot, hot, hot.

Sweet and hot. Sticky, but not as much as could be considering sweetness of it.

The carbonation makes it somewhat drinkable (relative to a liqueur). It is a tough one. Drinkability rated for what it is. I can't say it's not drinkable, but wow is it ever a slow-sipper. Caveat Emptor.

4.22/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into an oversized wine glass which produced a fingers worth of head. Nice reddish amber color that had huge aroma of berries. Awesome tart raspberry flavor accompanied with the burn from the alcohol. Lots of sour in this that makes the mouth pucker and ends with a more subtle berry taste on the tongue. Had to take my time drinking this one because the alcohol and favors in this beer are so extreme. Not a fast drinking beer but I did enjoy the flavors in this one.

3.6/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured a murky dark orange color with an off white head no lacing

S - Raspberries stand out the most with some spice and alcohol scents

T - The alcohol is very present then the spiced raspberries come through

M - This has a full body with lighter carbonation to it

D - The abv kills this beer it could be a lot more drinkable if the alcohol wasn't so present this is one of those beers that you drink just to say that you had it I won't be running to the store to buy more

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

A - Opaque dark orange color. Offwhite head fades to a ring. No lacing.

S - Pungent raspberry smell with some light earthy wheat like aromas. Surprisingly little or no alcohol detected on the nose.

T - Starts out with a bitter alcoholic fruity flavor, alcohol comes through slightly metallic. Holding it in for a while yields a thick ruddy raspberry flavor with a dull, faintly burning alcohol. Finish leaves a sharper alcohol burn and some earthy raspberry flavors.

M - Thick consistency with light to medium carbonation.

D - Overall a very interesting brew, definitely a sipper. Not something I'd do very often but it was nice to try.

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

This poured a wonderful orange-pink with medium head and a cloudy body. Left decent lacing on the glass.
The aroma was of sour fruits, sweet fruits, alcohol, sugar and almost no hop presence.
Raspberry in the taste, but not saccharine-y or syrupy. Good sweet/sour fruit taste along with some very mild spice. Also, you tend to notice the alcohol present (although maybe not the fact that its 18%)
The feel was somehwta fizzy from the almost champagne-like carbonation, and that paired with an almost biting tanic feel left the aftertaste more bitter than sweet.
Overall and interesting beer, more biting and bitter than syrupy sweet. But lookout for a noticably high ABV.

3.4/5  rDev -7.6%

Purchased in early 2005, consumed on March 28th, 2009.
Stored in a fridge for 3 years. Held up well.

Appearance: mildly bubbly pink with no lace. Almost champagne like but under carbonated.

Aroma: medicinal like cherry or raspberry cough syrup. It's actually a little tough to tell form the aroma which fruit is the main component of this beer. Somewhat boozy. Spicy and zesty.

Taste: Raspberries are present but not overwhelming. The fruit is more generic now and the flavors are muddled fruit liquors blended together. Slightly spicy.

Mouthfeel: much more mellow than when it was first bottled. Boozy and slightly syrupy with a medium to full body and only light carbonation.

Drinkability: Not bad at all and better than when this was fresh, if I recall correctly.

For the price though, this just doesn't work for me. It's a one trick pony and not one that I particularly like.

2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

Dogfish Head is really pushing it these days. They seem to be doing the AVERY thing...trying to make one beer in every concievable style that will make people say," You can't even taste the alcohol! How do they balance it so well? It gets me drunk and it tastes like fruit! Yay!" The only problem is that this doesn't often work, and the result is usually a sacrifice of style for ABV.
As for FORT, I have no idea what the hell they were trying to do. This takes like cranberries and vodka. For $20.00! What the hell?
It pours out the color of a cran-apple Fruitopia. Almost no head. What little there is receeds quickly. Smells like berris and cheap Nikolai vodka out of a plastic bottle. It's kind of syrupy. The mouthfeel is okay at first, but gets progressively hotter as you go on. I'm sipping it right now. I take a little in my mouth, swish it, hold it, swallow it, wait a moment...NOTHING! What a one dimensional beer. Drinkable, sure, if you just want tog et drunk, but this is nothing special, and it is WAY overpriced.
Dogfish Head needs to get their act together. I remember the days of 120 minute IPA 750s that tasted like they were brewed by Jesus.
Bottom line, don't waste your money. Blah.

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I aged this bottle for a year before drinking it. Seemed to help a good deal- still strong and alcoholic, but not hot and the flavors are somewhat more integrated. Pours a dark amber with little head and no lacing. No brilliant hues of raspberry puree here. Aromas of seedy raspberrys and creamy raspberry puree. A bit of sweet malt and some tannins on the finish- probably from raspberry seeds. Taste is similar, with very deeep raspberry flavors that are also quite tannic and bitter and exhibit rich, complex seedy/stemmy overtones. For me, this works and the resultant tannins balance the alcohol and sweetness from the raspberries. My wife hated it. Mouthfeel is very tannic and although this is definitely a sipper, a friend and I polished off the bottle with enjoyment. Definitely a unique beer and highly interesting.

2.17/5  rDev -41%

Drank on-tap at Eli Cannon's Tap Room, Middletown, CT

Poured a cloudy, salmon-magenta with a thin, wispy, white film that quickly disappeared. The beer was very lambic-like in appearance.

The aroma was quite alcohol rich. Vodka-like with faint indications of ripe berries and a slight sour quality. It was not until the near end of the drink that the berry aroma really came forth. Candy-like notes of raspberries and strawberries were apparent. Unfortunately, it was a bit too little too late.

The taste was overwhelmingly alcoholic. Once again, vodka came to mind. Some faint berry flavors appeared mid-palate. Somewhat wine-like. The finish was slightly acidic and sour with the alcohol dominating once again. Notes of lemon peel came through in the aftertaste, along with a touch of syrupy sweetness.

Mouthfeel was light and fluffy on the palate with a fine, spritzy, lively carbonation. Practically champagne-like.

Drinkability was absolutely awful. This beer reminded me of a terrible sort of "jungle juice" concoction that I may have drunk in college. It seemed like every aspect of the beer was too thin to keep up with the extreme 18% ABV. Maybe if it were aged it would mellow out to a more palatable digestif. Until it did, I would stay away from this.

3.18/5  rDev -13.6%

Bottled on 11/28/05, 750ml example served between fridge and cellar temperature. This might be ridiculous, but I've got no one at the moment to share this with... this is a BIG beer. I'll save the bottlecap.

Enjoyed (responsibly?) in a gorgeous Troubadour tulip glass.

Appearance- This beer acted strangely a moment after I poured it... the finger-thick head began erasing itself from LEFT TO RIGHT... not top to bottom like the other million beers I've seen. After that weirdness is over, a thick fiery brew stands still in the glass... a few streams of miniscule bubbles launch from the bottom. No trace of lace.

Smell- Intense aromas of raspberries packed like sardines into the nostrils.

Taste- A boatload of raspberry sweetness, especially at the sides of the tongue, blanket the entire mouth. After the sugars subside, the alcohol heat and atmosphere takes hold. It's not burning, but at 18% it's obviously present. The aftertaste is gripping, both from the fruit and ABV.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Going from puffy to still in a matter of seconds, the strength of this beer of course contributes to the imbalanced texture. It's a wallop over the head in the fruit beer world, but I won't be heading for the door to buy another anytime soon.

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%

On tap at Gravity Head '08 in New Albany, IN. Poured into a 4oz large shot glass, thankfully, not 10oz like everything else.

Appearance- Surprisingly has head for such a big beer. Head was a finger thick upon arrival, but it still lingers fifteen minutes later, and clings to the sides of the glass. Looks like baby gots some legs on her as well!

Smell- Raspberry and BIG alcohol. Smells like a raspberry liquor, which I guess essentially it is. Still is quite malty and has the aspects of still being a beer.

Taste- Whoa. When I tried to go for a large sip, it caught the throat with a firey grip. Raspberry is thin but alcohol remains BIG. Raspberry burn lingers and does not dissipate. I like this beer, but it's definitely not for keeps.

Mouthfeel- Thick, full bodied, warming and palate destroying. I would call this a one time brew for drinking.

Drinkability- 3 may be a little high, and it was nice and warming, but it was still a good beer. I don't think I'll be revisiting it anytime soon, but it was not a bad beer by any means.

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

2006 edition poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Copper colored with some red highlights. Good 1 to 1 1/2 finger head that lasts. Some lacing, but not a lot.

Smell - First impression is raspberry, then mingling with alcohol and yeast. It doesn't smell overly sweet.

Taste - Hints of raspberries, with less sweetness than I expected. And then I got hit with an alcohol bomb. The alcohol is way too pronounced in this one. I thought letting it sit around for 18 months would mellow it a bit. Obviously not. No balance at all. I like my beer to at least remind me of beer.

Mouthfeel - The high carbonation is great, but the alcohol is again just too much.

Drinkability - Between the price and the difficulty drinking, I really don't think too highly of this beer. I have had moonshine that is easier to drink.

This is not one of my favorite DFH beers. No balance or subtlety here. Try one of their other extreme beers instead.

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

Picked this one up at Grape Vine Market, and split it with my Fiancée on Valentine's Day.

Split a 750ml between 2 pint glasses.

Appearance - It is hazy translucent brownish amber red color. It produced a 1 1/2 finger rocky head that lasted quite a while - good retention. It didn't leave much lacing behind, but then again, it is 18% ABV.

Smell - There is a scent here that is similar to champagne yeast, and a tartness that is very strong. There is a strong raspberry scent, as well as the overpowering scent of booze. All of the smells are tied in with the booze on this one.

Taste - I wasn't so keen on the taste of this one. It tasted like raspberries and grain alcohol, and not much else. I felt like this beer was a one trick pony. There is a tartness and a sweetness which are both closely tied to the raspberries, but the booze pretty much overpowers all of the other flavors. This beer is seriously imbalanced.

Mouthfeel - It is medium bodied. This one is lively - highly effervescent. There is a definite alcohol burn from this one.

Drinkability - I respect DFH for what they do, but I didn't like this one so much. I didn't finish it - I let my lady finish the rest of mine. It didn't go done well, and it isn't easy to drink. This was a struggle. I am glad I tried it once, but I don't ever see myself buying another 18$ bottle.

Got this one at the DFH Alehouse in Falls Creek, VA, poured into a snifter. $26 for a 750ml bottle, which was absurdly expensive, but I split it with three friends. This one's not really a fruit beer as expected. A little more interesting. Pours a fairly good looking amber/copper color with a very slight touch of head on top. No real head. It's kind of a weird combination of barley wine and fruit beer, tons of raspberries thrown in there as well. Lots of spicy goodness. Body is fairly full and syrupy, as I said, barley-wine-esque. Not one you could drink a bunch of, but splitting up it works at well. Overall, this one's alright I dunno, this one was very interesting for a fruit beer. A lot more beery, with some interesting malt flavors, and then with some raspberries thrown in, than most fruit beers. Very tasty, although it took a minute to throw down.

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

25.6 fl oz brown bottle; served in an oversized wine glass.
Bottled on July 09, 2007.

Pours a light raspberry, hazy-dirty camel coloration. Thin, filmy off-white sheet that gathers as a thin ring of bubbles around the rim of the wine glass. A few drops of lacing with the expected difficulty in sticking to the wine glass.

Slick, almost intensely sweet maltiness. Mild notes of tartness, but more noticeable vinous fruity esters: raisin, and plum. Lingering notes of caramel and toffee with a port-like alcohol aroma. Big and complex.

Bright and tart fruity esters immediately that last to the finish, but become less sour as the sip melds with the other flavors. Raspberry, lemon, orange, and apple. Near mid-sip is a darker caramel and milk chocolate sweetness. The alcohol presence is very mellow like an aged port, but still very intense. The flavor complexities are bold, yet balanced. What a unique concoction.

Medium bodied; slickly creamy. Not quite gaseous, which is surprising for a brew at 18% abv, and not too acidic either.

Bold, balanced, and complex with a pleasant texture. The only problem is the alcohol content. I made the mistake of drinking this one on my own, and I have a feeling that I'll need to recap half of the bottle and enjoy the rest tomorrow. This extreme offering should definitely be shared.

3.9/5  rDev +6%

Bought this over Christmas for myself and my gf to enjoy on Valentine's Day. Didn't know the ABV at the time. No wonder it was so expensive and no wonder I've never seen it in GA.

A - thick, syrupy, molasses, with off-white head

S - tart, fruity, raspberries!, hints of alcohol

T - tart, very fruity, sweet, alcohol really comes through

M - solid, smooth, nice carbonation

D - haha wow. Well, this is something I'd wanted to try and I certainly have now. Can definitely feel the alcohol. I'd buy it again perhaps next winter, but I don't know that I can rationalize the price as a student =(
Still, worth trying.

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

750ml bottle, served in a Chimay goblet. It pours cloudy golden brown, with a effervescent head that quickly dissolves. The smell hits me before I even get my nose near the class, the carbonation propelling it far & wide. Its full of fruit, raspberries, apricots, red wine and a nuttiness. I like it! The taste is like port wine with a sharp raspberry edge. Lots of caramel and fruit. Very good but it tastes young. I think I'll have to buy another bottle & age it, I'd love to see how the sugars mellow over time. Strong alcohol finish. Wow! I feel that one. The mouthfeel is syrupy but crisp, just velvety smoooth. The drinkability is good but this one needs pairing. Perhaps with a strong cheese or some dark chocolate.

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a cloudy tangerine amber color with a full finger loose orange tinted head that fades fairly quickly. The smell is incredibly sweet and fruity; like a sangria. The mouth feel is lightly carbonated, thick and syrupy. The flavor is sweeter than it smells. A big berry fruit taste with a solid sweet wine alcohol character that's got a bright tartness without being sour. This one is a real sipper. Way too sweet and heavy for me. It's almost like a fruity barleywine, if you can imagine that.

3.68/5  rDev 0%

Pours a hazy orange/red with a fizzy head, made lots of noise as it quickly died down to nothing.

Smell is quite tart smelling, bit of sweetness, can easily make out the raspberry aroma.

Whoa, the taste is quite potent. I didn't know the ABV before trying it, but now I can definitely tell it's 18%. Taste is also quite tart, my mouth is puckering from each drink. Lots of carbonation in the mouth, but works for this beer. Quite a bit alcohol burn in the mouth and warms the belly pretty quickly. I have a feeling this would be much better if they toned down the strength.

3.4/5  rDev -7.6%

pours a light red/amber haze with a ring of white around the edge of the top where the head would normally be. the smell is actually a bit unpleasant, like a raspberry tussen nose, almost puts me off. the taste is pretty good, like frambiose meets barleywine and I'm talking the strong points of them both. a good flavorful beginning with that smooth barleywine finish and a lingering razz after-taste. the mouth-feel is smooth peaks in the middle with some crispness and goes back to smooth on the finish. it is not easy to put this one back, slow drinker but that's to be expected for it's abv. a worthy beer, i'd recommend it.

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Fort pours a thick hazy dark peachy brown with little tiny head that soon dissappears. The nose is of raspberry and robitussin. The first taste is of nice sugary thick raspberry, but not fresh tasting. Raspberries are there and strong but they are a really fermented flavor. Some other dark fruits and a little bit of spice go well in here. Alcohol burn is hot on the finish and warms to the bottom of the belly. Mouthfeel is thick and chewy. Drinkability is high for 18%, but it can only be so high. I think this will be quite the after dinner treat after a few years in the cellar. Good, but I think it will be significantly better in a few.

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into an oversized wine glass. Fortunately I can seal the bottle with a wine stopper and enjoy the rest of the bottle over the next few days.

A. Pours a week tea looking color with a wispy head that refuses to leave. Highly carbonated like a champagne.

S. Raspberrys are predominant. I first took the beer straight from the refrigerator to the glass. At first the raspberry aroma was muted, but as I cupped the glass, the aroma began to grow. Again, a sweet but subtle raspberry scent.

T. This tastes of raspberrys, but the abv is overwhelming. This brew is a bit hot, but still warming. I am curious to see how this ages, as it shares many of the qualitys of a champagne and many of them flourish.

M. This is strange but the strong vinous taste causes this to strongly resemble a Boone's Farm in this respect. Very pleasant but hardly reserved.

D. Very drinkable for the ABV. Perhaps too drinkable...

Thank you to stopbarking for gifting this beer. Maybe a choice for that toast...

3.13/5  rDev -14.9%

My friend picked up a 750 of this from Abe's in Bethlehem and split it with me. Poured into two pint glasses.

Somewhat cloudy, orangeish liquid with more head and better retention than i expected based on its 18% ABV and left only a tiny bit of lacing.

Smell is sweet and tart, full of raspberry and quite a bit of warm booze. Taste is similar, taste is so strong on the raspberry, was actually a bit tough to get through. Took me quite a bit of time to get through my half of this bottle, but i did finish it. Glad to have tried it, but there were dozens of beers at Abe's that we could have gotten for half the price that would have been better.

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

I must admit, this disappointed me... Admittedly, I expected a lot, but I was left unimpressed.

A - Dark reddish, with a light pink to orange head.

S - Fruity and sweet and alcoholic. Very different than a Raspberry Lambic.

T - The alcohol punches through the other flavors... you can definitely taste the raspberry and malty flavors, but the alcohol is pervasive.

M - Maybe the best part of this beer, it feels great. Smooth and bubbly, and goes down nicely.

D - Couldn't drink more than one glass... glad I was sharing the 750.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

I first had this at the Boston Beer Fest with
Sam himself pouring and it was the biggest hit
at the Fest. Big lines and Sam trying his best to give out a taste sample and with
everybody going back for more, I don't think
it lasted very long. It has a unique
taste but although its strong it has many flavors
mixing around the raspberry theme. Its an outstanding addition to the extreme side of
beers/ale. Its creamy, with a candied sweetness
that quickly moves past the alcohol, tartness
and a touch of some kind of lime, interesting
nightcap to say the least. Got this for a 50th
birthday gift and had to open it right away.
Classy stuff from a great craft brewer. Sam
you are amoung the best out there, keep it up!

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery