Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
OStrungT

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

This beer pours a bright orange color. It kind of looks like an orange soda when held up to the light. It sports a thin off white head that fades quickly, leaving sparce laces.

This beer smells mildly of sweet, tart raspberries. It has a strong malty aroma as well. The massive alcohol content is quite present in the nose.

This beer tastes like it smells. A mild sweet and tart raspberry flavor upfront, with a massive malty sweet backbone. The high alcohol content is very present in the flavor.

This very full bodied beer leaves a malty raspberry aftertaste. The alcohol warms the throat as it goes down. It is carbonated just fine.

I doubt this beer would make a good session beer. It is over the top in alcohol content. It is a very aggressive beer. I split a bottle with my wife, and I am having trouble drinking my half.

Overall: Bottled on 11/13/06. Thanks to ggaughan for giving me the chance to include this beer on my Thanksgiving. I doubt I will ever seak this one out again, but it was definately good to try it. Too over the top and alcoholic.

11-22-2007 23:42:07 | More by OStrungT
Douglas14

4.33/5  rDev +17.7%

750ml bottled on 1/13/06

Whoa! I had heard and read about this beer before and thought I had nailed down what to expect from it...fortunately, I was wrong.

Pours a hazy red color with slight orange accents coming through. It has a nice head at first but it quickly resides leaving no lace (due to the high abv). The smells is wayyy more pungent that I had expected...smells intensely of raspberries - almost like a jar of raspberry jam...nevertheless, wonderful!

The taste is amazing...obviously raspberries...but other sweet, tart fruits appear as well; orange, lemon and cherries. Malt and yeast flavors appear towards the finish. Hardly any notice of the high ABV. There are no hidden flavors here.

The mix of Fort's full body and light carbonation make a great combination.

Overall great beer...highly recommend giving it some time to age.

11-19-2007 00:39:42 | More by Douglas14
cameraman

Kentucky

First, I bought this for my wife and her friend, neither like beer. They did not like this one, so I was left drinking this 750 ml bottle by lonesome. So, my handwriting is a little hard to read, I don't no why, maybe 18%. Anyway it is poured inot an oversized wine glass, a ruby red color. There is touches of amber along the sides of the glass. A head forms thinly on top and is is a pale pink color. The sweet scent of malt comes out at first, then followed by the fruity aroma of rasberries; there is a little twinge of alchol in there, but not too off setting. The malt is striking as the first flavor one tastes, your expecting more of a twang, like a lambic. The malt flows to the tartness of the rasberries, there also might be the slightest bit of hoppy bitterness at the end. A very dry finish, the rasberry tartness does linger on the palate, but the tingling of the carbonation blends it out of the way. Truely a unique beer, this a definite beer to have wine people to try, plus an excellent pairing with maybe a chocolate tort.

11-15-2007 02:31:35 | More by cameraman
kkipple

South Carolina

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Opened this to celebrate my birthday with 3 very special friends. Yeah, it was 2 am and we were already in high spirits. But even we could recognize that this "beer" is the holy grail of raspberry beverages. My notes have the following writ large:

Fort. What is? Raspberry. Sweet. Booze.

And that really sums it up. But for those wanting more, here ya go.

Fort is: Orange-red. Not quite clear. I think I saw little bits of raspberry seed in the beer. Wouldn't put it past 'em.

Fort is: A massive blow to the nose of fresh raspberry syrup and tons of alcohol. Take 3 pounds of raspberries, puree 'em, add a pound of sugar, a handle of vodka, reduce in a pan and you'd have something that *might* smell like what Dogfish has done with their Fort. Then again it could be horrible.

Fort is: A sugary sweet fruit bomb. Tart, but alcoholic in the extreme. Tough to drink much of. Approach it as a fruit liqueur like Chambord and you'll do alright.

Fort is: An absurdly over the top fruit beer experience. I don't use the word experience lightly. You simply must try this beer on a special occasion. A cool early morning on a porch overlooking the mountains in North Carolina worked for us, but you have to find your own inspiration.

*** October 2009 edit***

Had a 3 year vertical in the same mountains again recently. 06, 07, 08. The consensus is that Fort DOES mellow out nicely with age - the 06 and 07 were quite similar, but the eldest had less booze heat (still quite a bit) and was much more approachable. Would score the 2006 vintage a solid 4.0 as of October 09. I'd recommend aging it for at least a year unless you like your fruit beers excessively boozy. I'm not sure what it says about us that we drank 3 Forts in one weekend... I hope good things!

11-03-2007 17:10:07 | More by kkipple
weeare138

4.18/5  rDev +13.6%

Plenty of mixed reviews on this one. Mine is a two year old sample, bottled on 11/28/05...
Appears an orange toned amber with a 2 finger, foamy, white head that quickly fades into a mild cap and collar. At first pour, there are a few floaters in there. Upon closer inspection, they are a few stray pieces of seperated raspberry puree complete with seeds.
Smell is remarkable and addictive from the first inhale. Notes of ripe raspberries, and freshly baked rhubarb pie with strawberries. Very intriguing and delightful.
Taste is that of an after dinner cordial that's been infused with ripe raspberries, caramelized sugar, and freshly cut strawberries.
Mouthfeel...I was expecting an over the top alcohol bomb judging by other reviews but I found this to be just the right amount of warmness to compliment the sweetness. I could compare this to some of the better Tawny Ports I've had. Save it, sit on it for a few years, drink it on a special occasion after dinner with some chocolate truffells, or creme brulee.

11-02-2007 16:12:04 | More by weeare138
Floydster

2.17/5  rDev -41%

750 ml bottle that was made on November 13, 2006, purchased at Liquid Solutions for a very expensive $17.55

I will start off by saying I opened this last night when a bunch of friends came over, but then nobody wanted any, so I was stuck drinking this whole thing by myself and it pretty much knocked me out, strongest beer I have I believe, wow!

Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter with a pinkish brown color, pretty funky looking with a pretty large foamy head that settled pretty quickly, left some lacing but not much

Smell was pure raspberries and surprisingly reminded me of a fruity soda with the amount of carbonation and the small bubbles rushing to the top, impressive for a beer that was capped, not corked

Taste was a little rough for me, almost like a berry blended barleywine, nothing like any fruit beer I have ever had and had a lot more hops than I thought it would especially after a year, but was pretty bitter, aftertaste was a little nasty and it just kept kicking, can really taste the high alcohol in this one, beer at first and then quickly turns into a champagne like aftertaste with not much raspberry oddly, wish it had more of a fruit taste

Could not drink another sip of this, but I did finish the entire bottle and that is part of the reason why I was not in the shape to write this review last night, too strong for one person

Cool to try because it is the strongest fruit beer in the world, but it is extremely pricey and pretty hard to find, I do not know if I could recommend this beer, but if you are curious like I was, you need to give it a try

10-28-2007 16:44:41 | More by Floydster
jasonjlewis

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

This beer has a decent head and retention for a beer that is so high in alcohol. It's nose is strongly of rasberries with some subtle malts coming through.

This beer is very sweet. I didn't find it overly boozy for 18% alcohol. It was just a beer on steroids. A fault of it is that it is very sweet. A fuckload of sugar had to have been added to make this 18 %

Still a decent brew. I enjoyed it.

10-14-2007 23:16:07 | More by jasonjlewis
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

Pours out a rose colour with minal head and some lacing. Nose- raspberry jam and honey. Taste- yeesh- hot boozy sweet raspberries. Fuck, that's not good for business. Its just too damn sweet. Its the same sweetness I've not enjoyed in some other DFH offerings. The raspberries are nice enough, but the its just too hot and sickly sweet. Not enjoyable whatsoever. Why did I crack this one by myself? Better yet, why didn't I buy two bottles of raspberry tart that were in eye sight of this abomination??? Not a happy drinking experience. I think if this had been toned down a tad it would have turned out better. good for DFH to experiment, just don't bottle it and charge me almost $20 for it!

10-14-2007 01:11:18 | More by oakbluff
treehugger02010

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

I purchased this 750 ml bottle from Capone's in Norristown, Pa. I poured it into a "water glass." The bottled on date was 11.13.07.
Appearance: A almost purple body, with a decent head that faded fast. The retention was pretty good, considering. Very highly carbonated and the head was kind of off white.
Smell: Very boozy aroma, but as it warms, the raspberries came out in full force.
Taste: Very identical to the aroma with a bit more colexity. Considering such a strong alcohol aroma, it wasn't all that off putting. The best part was the after taste of raspberries.
Mouthfeel: Nothing really stuck out.
Drinkability: It was pretty good, but I wish they would bottle it in smaller bottles.
Don't drink and review.

10-12-2007 12:25:40 | More by treehugger02010
jdhilt

New Hampshire

4.38/5  rDev +19%

Pours a two finger white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Cloudy amber/red color. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Raspberry nose. Flavor is raspberry pie with alcohol, sweetish, alcohol finish. Another decent beer from DFH. Bottled Nov 13, 2006. Pricey at $16.00 for a 25.6oz bottle from Tully's Beer and Wine Wells, ME.

09-30-2007 22:35:09 | More by jdhilt
CWiggins

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

Since this beer is illegal in my state (NC), I couldn't resist the opportunity to pick up a bottle while visiting the excellent Grape & Gourmet in Virginia Beach. It was bottled in November of '06, and delivered via a 750ml bottled with a simple cap. I was hesitant to serve it, knowing it may be the only one I get to sample, but we popped it open on the third cool evening of September while cooking burgers on the back porch. I was very surprised by my discovery!

How does one go about reviewing such an interesting product? Is it possible to compare it to anything else? Do the above numbers mean anything?

I had no idea what to expect; I just know that Dogfish Head is the first brewery I openly embraced, since their products are so readily available in North Carolina. I'll try anything they produce at least once! The first glass was poured into a Dogfish ergonomic pint glass, and the off-white head that appeared was moderately impressive; it stuck around for the first 30 minutes. The aroma is intense: there's a very strong scent of raspberries (duh!), along with solvent alcohol and a bit of floral hops. Taking too long a smell can burn your nose!

The flavor is strong on raspberry, without being too sweet. (It's on the verge of syrupy.) A delightful hoppy bitterness converges with the fruit at the finish, providing a beer lover's dream of sweet fruit, malts, and piney hops. It truly is a marriage of the best of all three elements.

I found the alcohol to be almost overwhelming, but, to be frank, I didn't mind. The carbonation is just right. This brew must be tasted across the temperature spectrum to be fully appreciated. I paired it with fudge brownie and vanilla ice cream at the close of my burger meal. There couldn't have been a better choice.

09-04-2007 02:03:07 | More by CWiggins
travisd13

Washington

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Served from a 750ml. bottle into a snifter just under cellar temp. Bottled date is 11/13/2006

A - Poured a finger and a half light pinkish / off white head. The head settled down to a drinkable level very quick with some lasting lacing. Color is a clear reddish orange with a few specks of sediment.

S - Aromas of what else? Raspberries!! Light alcohol present but nowhere near what I expected out of 18%

T – Again what else raspberries!! Some bitterness present in the finish. Very sweet.

M – Texture is light and bubbly. What I would consider a clean finish, almost crisp.

D - I’m a big DFH fan. This isn’t one of my favorites though. I just had to give it a chance, too sweet for my pallet. Luck I split it with a couple of friend because I couldn’t have finished the bottle myself. Even though it wasn’t my favorite DFH I’d still recommend giving it a taste.

08-31-2007 17:15:37 | More by travisd13
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

4.6/5  rDev +25%

166 reviews as of this writing so I'll take a slightly different track this morning. I have wanted to try this for some time. For the record I am not a raspberry fan. I have heard good things about this beer and I finally got to trying it this weekend. It drinks amazingly well balanced and subtle. Both for the ABV and the raspberrys. Deceptively smooth and rich at the halfway point you know you've ventured into a very strong beer. I gave up at about 3/4ths recognizing if I drank anymore I'd be hurting seriously the next day instead of just tired.

I highly recommend trying this and splitting it with a friend. This beer truly redifines the boundaries of a fruit beer in a way I would never have considered.

08-20-2007 13:03:07 | More by barleywinebrewer
bradford

2.85/5  rDev -22.6%

I received the big bottle (750mL?) from davide169.
This beer just looked weird. Something was off with the color. Very pinkish
Smelled okay. I detected a lot of alcohol in the nose which I would have liked if it weren't for the weired pureed rasberry smell. Smelled very sugary
Tasted not good at all. I didn't enjoy it at first, but the only redeeming quality for me was the alcohol. It sounds odd, but the burn of the 18% saved this beer for me.
Mouthfeel seemed thin despite the level of alcohol. I have come to expect nothing but amazing from Dogfish Head, and this unfortunatley fails in my book.
The drinkability on this is good though despite the poor taste review I gave it. I finished both glasses poured from the bottle and I could have had more as I seemed to be on some sort of sugar high from all the fruit and alcohol in this.
I would try this again just to be sure, but based on my first bottle, I don't recommend this one.
This is the only DFH product I have tried that I didn't absolutely love. Maybe it is because I live in CA and I have to trade for any DFH, so I feel like I have to like it. But for me, DFH is one of the better breweries out there, behind Russiain River and Alesmith.

07-30-2007 00:41:20 | More by bradford
letsgopens

4.18/5  rDev +13.6%

The appearance is a bit disappointing. Cloudy amber orange, but the fizzy short head dissipates quickly and leaves virtually no lace.

The aroma is expectedly fruity. Light red fruits: raspberry, peach, tart cherry. The raspberry was not as prominent as I'd imagined.

The flavor is of sharp fruit mellowed out by some more base-like malt. Raspberry, wild strawberry, peach, and a nice wine-like quality that helps the brew to hold its character. Heavily fermented fruit. Warms the palate a bit, pleasant.

Smooth and relatively heavy mouthfeel. Lightened up by good carbonation. A bit of a sipper. Nice overall.

07-13-2007 17:05:20 | More by letsgopens
arizcards

Arizona

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Picked up a bomber in early January from Sportsmans for $15.59.

Beer poured a red orange color with a decent head initially. Initial impression was one of pouring a glass of wine. Nose has a very wine like pleasantness, very heavy of raspberry puree. Taste initially was heavy on alcohol but settles down afterwards into a steady source of heat. It is pretty nice, of raspberry malts with an almost dark chocolate bitterness. Mouthfeel is light bodied but very smooth. Drinkability would be very good if sharing the bottle as an after dinner apertif. I believe this would pair well with dark chocolate. I honestly did not know what I was getting into before trying this. I am not sure if i want to take on the whole bottle in one sitting. This is worth a try but something I will not go after again,

07-07-2007 23:08:51 | More by arizcards
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Well in my neverending quest to empty out my closet and et to these hard to reach beers the beers that I have stored away for sometimes it may seem to be years, I have come across my latest discovery, Dogfish head's Fort. What can be said about a monstrously huge bottle of brew that simply says ale brewed with rasberry with no ABV or warning on it in regards to what may lie inside? Needless to say I was more then willing to dive in and see what this beer could be made of. I have to admit though, I was a bit intimidated, as word of mouth had told me this was a damn bigbeer that was gonna be hard to put down, we shall see....

Well upon the pour we have an extremely hazy amber. Slightly darker then your normal ale. Lots of visible carbonation was evident from the start, chains of bubbles rippling up from the bottom of the glass. Lots of haze, literally made this opaque. Tons of suspended particles as well, some of them quite large. This may have been due to the aged bottle, as it had a 11/05 brewed date on it. Nice one inch thick white head receeded rather quicky leaving behind a thin film on top of the glass and a nice amount of lace drooping down the sides. Biggest story here. by far had to be all the haziness and the suspended particles which it seemed clouded the view completly and gave it a very thick appearence.

The smell was strong, and very fruity. Large hint of rasberry was readily apparent from the start. I would have thought that the alcohol smell would have been stronger then what it was, however it was not that apparent. Don't get me wrong, this smelled alot like a strong wine, however it just did not smell overwhelminglt strong from the start. A very sugary aroma aroma was present as was a slight hint of grain in the back, overall very fruity smell.

The taste was well, bitter. This knocked my head back at the first sip. Insanely strong and fruity. Perhaps the strongest fruiteness I have ever tasted in a beer before. Incredible fresh rasberries in the flavor were evident right from the start. The one thing that shocked me however, was that I would have thought the alcohol presence would have been alot stronger then it was. It was noticeable but not 18% noticeable if you know what I mean, A slight hoppiness was present in the finsh, quite dry actually. Very smooth feel, great carbonation, led to that nice silky, bubbly light feeling. Overall the flavors were very very intense, and the fruit and hop flavors far overpowered the alcohol. This made the profile really jump out at you, and made what could have been overpoweringly hot with alcohol,. not only tolerable, but actually rather emjoyable as the session wore on.

Overall this was one of the more unique beers I have tried. Way way fruity and full of complex flavors, and over the top with the alcohol, to the point I probably should not have gone at this one alone. Somehow, someway they brewed this to be very drinkable. You gotta try this at least once for the novelty sake of it, though at 20 bucks its a bit of a far cry from pure novelty. Still this was really much better then I had expected and I would really recommend trying this.

07-07-2007 01:43:16 | More by mikesgroove
sequenceman

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

Presentation: 750 ml bottle, just above room temp.

Appearance: nice deep red color, minor head, as expected for this type of "beer".

Smell: Great raspberry aroma, with some sourness reminiscent of a geuze.

Taste: Way too sweet for my palate. Not a big fan of the high malt:bitter ratio. Hard to drink more than 1/2 a glass.

Notes: I love DFH, I'm a big fan of the 60, 90, 120, Aprihop, Lawnmower, etc... so I wanted to like this one. But after about 5 sips it becomes undrinkable. If you are prone to try it ... split it with some friends!

07-03-2007 23:33:08 | More by sequenceman
LiamMcFee

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

Like another reviewer, I wanted to like this one better than I did. The fruit is nice, but it is more in the nose than on the palate, and the kick almost overwhelms everything. It was actually better after it had warmed a bit and lost some of its carbonation. I would drink it again, but not regularly, and more to share as a novelty than for the simple pleasure of drinking it.

06-24-2007 03:33:01 | More by LiamMcFee
IntriqKen

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured an aprocot orange color with a quarter finger of white that melted immediately to nothing.

Aroma is a soft raspberries and candied sugars.

Flavors of raspberries, honey, candied sugars, and slightly toasted amber malts. Alcohol is more felt that tasted as the other flavors cover everything else.

Aftertaste is surprisingly clean...not cloying like I would have expected.
A very interesting fruit beer, to be sure.

06-11-2007 01:07:49 | More by IntriqKen
Shaw

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

From a 750 mL bottled in Nov. 2005, purchased at Beer World in Largo in Feb. 2007.

Pours a nice light tan -- perhaps red? -- color without much head.

It has a great aroma of raspberries. I even smelled them as I was pouring my first glass. There are also aromas of alcohol and earth.

The taste is fruity and wine-like, but there are still plenty of beer flavors, unlike DFH's Black and Blue. The fruit tartness mixes with earthy grain flavors to create quite the complex beer.

The body is smooth and slick, no doubt because of the high ABV.

This is a very drinkable fruit beer, especially considering it is 18 percent. Dogfish Head continues to create very interesting beers. I'd have this beer again, but for its $19 price.

06-04-2007 01:18:14 | More by Shaw
bluejacket74

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

750 ml bottle with a bottled on date of 11/13/06. Fort pours a reddish/amber color with a half inch off-white head which went away very quickly. It smells fruity, like raspberries, plums, sherry and alcohol. Just pouring the beer into the glass the aroma comes out very quickly. You can definitely taste the alcohol in this brew, it tastes like tart (but not too tart) berries, pears and alcohol (port/sherry). The alcohol does hit you at first, but after a little while it settles down and the warming isn't bad at all. Obviously, more of the flavors comes out as the beer warms up a little bit. There's also a nice sweet fruity aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium/full, with a good amount of carbonation. It's also a little syrupy and dry. Drinkability is very good, considering the 18% ABV. But it's definitely a sipping/dessert beer. The next time I drink one of these, I'm going to split it with someone instead of drinking the whole bottle myself like I just did. Another good, creative effort from DFH. I'd recommend it to others to try at least once.

05-27-2007 23:37:59 | More by bluejacket74
Dendrite77

2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle, dated 11/13/06 - the head dissipates quickly, leaving only an off-white ring around the top of a dark orange beer. It looks almost like an iced tea, perhaps a bit darker.

Smell is raspberry and apple. A little menacing; not terribly sweet. These are definitely green apples. Granny Smith is angry at you for some reason.

Taste is dominated by alcohol. There's a tartness that creeps in at the end, but I honestly don't get much but booze. This would be good with something that cuts that a little, like a soft and creamy cheese. The apple is a bit more prominent to me than the raspberry, with a fairly strong sour flavor.

It's fairly thin, and seems quite carbonated. Almost feels prickly.

I wanted to like this a lot more than I actually did. It's enormously strong, and I couldn't finish more than a glass or so. Would have been much better with an appropriate companion plate of some kind. I'll try this again sometime, but not soon.

05-27-2007 21:55:39 | More by Dendrite77
Slatetank

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Presentation - 750ml served in medium snifter freshness date states 11/13/06 bottling
A - Ruby red/deep chesnut hued ale with a thin white head that leaves almost no lacing

S - Aromas of alchol that are sherry like, cedar and dry raspberry and mellow plum scents

M & T - Effervescent with tinges of sweet raspberry followed by honey and woody sour cherry. Flavors of currant and cardomom are accompanied by warming presence of alcohol Dances lightly on the tongue with substantial depth.

D - Not a very drinkable ale albeit a sweet and flavorful one. Strength is deceptive and might make for a better digestif than and aperitiff.

05-26-2007 20:22:12 | More by Slatetank
BeerBelcher

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

This is a very complex, confusing, and not very drinkable beer! It is tart, sour, high in alcohol and not very drinkable, making it the doppelganger of Lindemann's framboise, which was the first lambic I ever had. It has many different flavors - it is quite alcohol tasting (18% ABV!) but also has a powerful sourness and abundant apple and cherry fruitiness. There is also a fair amount of spiciness. You would not drink this at the same times you would drink other beers. Recommended despite a distinct lack of drinkability.

Color was a bright ruby red/orange. Aroma was very sour and fruity with some maltiness. I've already commented extensively on flavor. This beer is rather undrinkable; I love sour, but there are Flemish sours that are much more drinkable than this beer. But this and my other criticisms aside, this beer is something that you've got to try!

05-19-2007 14:52:38 | More by BeerBelcher