Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
sinistermadman

Oregon

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

Amber in color with a copper/reddish hue. A negligible amount of head appears after a vigorous pour.

Smell is of candy sugar, alcohol and ripened fruit. Taste begins with tart, ripened berries and quickly develops into an alcohol tinged finish. Good lord alcohol is right out there. Not undrinkable, but you feel it, and the drinkability suffers as a result. I don't regret the purchase, but it will not be bought again. Share this one with friends or be prepared to be on your ass. Cheers.

05-17-2007 00:36:43 | More by sinistermadman
kindacold

4.58/5  rDev +24.5%

Poured from bottle into a goblet of sorts. Nice color, exactly what one would expect with the pureed raspberries. Nice white head. Smelled pleasantly of berries and alcohol. First taste was very powerful. The alcohol give it almost a spicy/cinnamon flavor, which combines nicely with the sweetness of the raspberries. If one holds it in the mouth for a bit, allowing it to hit different parts of the tongue, the alcohol becomes more evident, but still goes down easy. Aftertaste is of berries and a bit of malt. Very drinkable, especially sitting outside on a hot sunny day. After about 1/4 of the bottle, I drank the rest while eating a roast beef panini, and it was an excellent combination. I think it would also go well with a chocolate torte or some other heavy meal or dessert. Can't wait to get another bottle of this!

05-15-2007 17:07:36 | More by kindacold
oelergud

2.13/5  rDev -42.1%

Orange golden red semi transparent body. Big white head, tan after agitation, rocky and fluffy with mostly medium to large bubbles. Good retention and clumpy lace.
The smell is a big whack of fresh sweet raspberries. Only a hint of alcohol.
Damn, the taste does not live up to the pleasant smell. The alcohol burn is way too strong and blurs out the other flavors that hopelessly tries to emerge. The raspberries poke through for just a moment but then are gone.
The aftertaste and mouthfeel is similar to listerine, yuck.
Much to expensive to be a drainpour, but alas it is.

-Oelergud

05-05-2007 18:42:23 | More by oelergud
kundabuffer

Indiana

4.47/5  rDev +21.5%

A luxurious treat....the smell is of raspberries and alcohol, not surpisingly....mouthfeel is a little thick at first but finishes drier....The alcohol is well-masked, I find, and I would find it hard to believe another recent reviewer's contention that the alcohol is higher than 18%...I've nearly finished a bottle and am still feeling fairly coherent. Altogether the flavor is very pleasing--the raspberry taste dominates without at all becoming cough-syrupy. I plan to have this again, but with a) friends and b) some sort of dessert.

04-30-2007 04:54:35 | More by kundabuffer
becktone

3.13/5  rDev -14.9%

Eye: This beer pours a nice pinkish amber copper, with golden highlights-the color right at the bottom of the glass. Its cloudy appearance is due most likely to the wheat in the malt bill. Head poured at about one finger and receded to a think creamy foam leaving some nice lacing. Better head retention would be nice.

Nose: Fruit character evident. Smells much like a white wine, like a dessert type of wine. There are notes of alcohol in the aroma. Raspberry aromas are also evident and there are some malted wheat aromas in there.

Tongue: Tastes a lot like a fruit wine, or perhaps even honey mead. Has some real hot flavors from the alcohol. The alcohol is very evident in the flavor, you can flat out say "Here's alcohol and this is what it tastes like." Not much of the fruit flavor comes through over the alcohol, its there but not nearly as strong as I would've thought. The sweetness from the raspberries lingers on the tongue as the alcohol overloads the tastebuds, yet its there if you try to not focus on the alcohol. For a fruit beer I'd say that its nowhere near as fruity as I would've liked, but as a high octane brew, well its pretty good.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Very light and thin mouthfeel, not much body, again more like a lightly carbonated wine. Hot from the high alcohol, warms a bit as it goes down. This is a beer I'd come back to if I wanted something high in abv, as for its characteristics as a fruit beer I'll probably not be buying it again. I mean when one buys a fruit beer one wants something fruity and in essence-excuse the stereotype-"girly." I've a feeling though that by the end of this bottle I'll be drunk. Next time I feel like getting drunk off of classier beer I think that this brew is the route to go...17 dollars, classy beer. This will probably last one the whole night. Get you feeling good right away.

04-29-2007 16:54:50 | More by becktone
lehows

3.9/5  rDev +6%

Wow...this fruit beer is simply gnarly! Had this at the Dogfish Head brewmaster dinner at Bobbique. Poured into a red wine glass, it was blush colored and had a small but fine white head. Large and fumey aromas of berry alcohol. The beer is brewed with tons of raspberries but I also noted the characteristics of strawberries in there as well. Taste was extremely smooth with a tight raspberry/strawberry flavor dominating the palate with a notable hop presence too. I learned from brewery reps that the ABV is actually more often closer to 24% than 18! A very tasty brew that will knock you on your ass if you don't watch yourself. Open this bottle with friends or else!

04-28-2007 23:22:28 | More by lehows
shadow1961

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

Dogfish Head Fort pours out a fluffy head over a pretty,
cloudy red brew. Carbonation is really active, and the
nose is exactly like fresh-picked raspberries. The flavor
is intense- raspberry of course, but also oak and alcohol.
The finish is a bit of hop and more fresh raspberry. The after-
taste, like the nose, is fresh raspberries. So the experience
gives you a soft, pleasant beginning, an intense second act,
and a gentle goodbye. The intensity does moderate as the
brew warms. The mouthfeel is very crisp indeed, a bit dry, and
a lot warming.

It doesn't say on the label, but a quick check of the Dogfish
Head website reveals that this brew is 18% alcohol, which makes
Fort the most powerful beer I've tasted up to this moment. That
alcohol is at once a problem and an opportunity. In my opinion this
is a remarkable brew- right now, as, I assume, a fairly young brew, it
is right on the razor's edge- if it was just a little more alcoholic, it would
be too much. This brew stays just on the good side of being out of control.
On the other hand, all that alcohol makes this the perfect candidate for
cellaring- this massive brew can only improve with age. But at whatever
age you crack this baby open, do it with friends- it only comes in 750ml
bottles, and that's almost too much- even for me...

04-27-2007 16:47:38 | More by shadow1961
ojiikun

Washington

4.13/5  rDev +12.2%

Gave up after 4 months of cellaring and popped open the 750, served it a bit cooler than usual since I knew the two of us working this would be at it for over an hour with an AbV like this!

Poured into my tulip, a surprising orange colour. Not as red as raspberries made me think, but dark and orange. No head to talk about, but a very clear serum.

Smell is booze! After the first wave hits you, it's raspberries and perfume. Flowery and warm with a surprising characteristic I wasn't expecting - beer! From the description alone, I figured this would be a fizzy bottle of schnapps, but no, the malt is full and expressed, like a very very fine belgian. The yeast even makes a brief appearance in the nose. Fruity, yes, but meaty, too!

The taste is well, boozey. Vodka-boozey. Tart, sweet, hot. The raspberries become more floral if anything, the malt fades back, perhaps becomes more wheatey. Undertones of chalk, chocolate, and perhaps a single, solitary hop or pine needle.

Mouthfeel is only syrupy at times - I think the incredibly sweetness makes you want to describe it as thicker than it really is. Not much carbonation, sadly, but you'll get all the tingles you could want from the burning sensation! As drinkable as you'd expect, and the way the taste changs with the temperature keeps things interesting.

One to try, since I couldn't hope to accurately describe it. Worth the near-twenty dollars, and a good time even if you don't like it. Maybe we should change the term from 'hammered' to 'raspberried'.

04-26-2007 04:52:06 | More by ojiikun
BeerCheese

Wisconsin

3.33/5  rDev -9.5%

I let this one sit for about an hour after taking it out of the fridge. It poured a cloudy orange color with a fair sized head that disappeared within about 60 seconds. No doubt about the raspberries in the aroma! Didn't smell much other than that, and it was pleasant. Taste was a surprise. The first thing I tasted was the alcohol and the warming was HOT! It had an interesting flavor, more bitter than sweet - like raspberries soaked in hop juice with a little hint of malt in the background. I didn't mind the taste, but I'm due to the heaviness and the alcohol this one's a little low on drinkability for me. Still, not a bad beer for a fruit beer, since the fruit wasn't too overwhelming. I'm pretty sure drinking this whole huge bottle will leave me with quite a buzz, making this one worth the $16 price tag!

04-19-2007 02:25:15 | More by BeerCheese
YankChef

Louisiana

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from 750ml bottle into a red wine glass. Bottled on date 11/13/06

Appearance: Dark red/amber. Pours a 1 inch thick fluffy white head. Very, very murky in color.

Smell: what do you know! Raspberries!!! Smells is of very sweet raspberry and alcohol.

Taste: RASPBERRY! is the first thing you taste and taste all the way through, hop flavor isnt very noticable. Certainly extremely high malt and sweetness come through and leaves a very noticable taste of alcohol when swallowed.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and sweet almost like cough syrup. The alcohol is certainly there and dries out the mouth and makes you salivate.

Overall: Certainly a very unique beverage that pushes the envelope and even expands the definition of what beer is. Extremely high a/c makes this one a slow sipper to be shared amongst friends and to discuss the different feelings that are had about it.

04-04-2007 02:00:58 | More by YankChef
orbitalr0x

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours from the 750ml bottle (awesome artwork I might add) into my glass a clear light orange/red tone, a bit lighter than I was expecting, not much head to speak of but at 18% abv that's to be expected. Aromas start with pureed raspberries and some light graininess. Quite fruity with a touch of alcohol in the background. Maybe a touch of vanilla as well with a light hop buried within.

First sip brings a mix of natural raspberry puree and a bit of wheat graininess. Mixed fruit flavors meld in as well with a touch of vanilla. Lightly sweet but very well balanced overall. Flows down with a touch of hops on the finish and a light alcohol burn. This one ends up hiding the alcohol quite well compared to a few other high abv DFH brews I've tried. A damn tasty fruit beer overall.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the lighter side and is quite smooth as well. Nice steady carbonation. Fairly easy to drink for such a huge brew. It will definetly catch up with you after a bit. A good one to split for sure and my girlfriend even likes it too. One of the best high abv Dogfish head brews I have sampled. I'll be looking for another bottle again soon...this is a tasty treat.

03-26-2007 03:40:38 | More by orbitalr0x
CH3CH2OH

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a clear garnet with a small, quickly falling white head. Viniferous, sweet aroma. Taste is a smooth, ruby port with a hint of bitterness, and a sweet, tangy finish. Light, creamy mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

This is great as a dessert drink; awesome with cheese, panna cotta, etc. Hides its strength well.

03-24-2007 01:52:58 | More by CH3CH2OH
TheSarge

2.45/5  rDev -33.4%

Very hazy. Thin light tan head dissipates very quickly. Thin lacing is left behind.

Smells of Raspberry Tea.

Very strange. Yes I taste the raspberries, but ith has a strange ketchup like flavor to it. This is so sour, it makes my tounge curl a bit.

This is a strange brew to me. I can't give it too a negative review based on my inexperience. Give it a try.

I still love you DFH brewery.

02-23-2007 11:06:26 | More by TheSarge
IgnatiusReilly

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a 750ml brown bottle at home. Cool artwork on the front.

A: Deep amber, ruby coloring. Thin head that disappears pretty quickly.
S: Lots of fruity raspberry, sharp alcohol, and sweet malt.
T: The raspberry hits the palate first, very sweet, but not overly tart or sour. Followed by the huge ABV. Finishes with a small hop dryness. The flavor is good – the alcohol makes it a little tough.
M: Thick, syrupy, mouth-coating. Not a whole lot of carbonation.
D: Again, difficult with such a high level of alcohol.

I’d love to age this beer for a year or two. I think the alcohol would probably subside a little and mellow with the raspberry. I respect the style and what they’re going for – just not really my thing.

02-20-2007 00:45:21 | More by IgnatiusReilly
milesfan76

4.15/5  rDev +12.8%

1 pint 9 0z. bottle split with jramey2

A: Pours a bright reddish brown, can't see through it. Not much head.

S: Smells like sour raspberries.Think I detect a bit of yeast in the smell as well.

T. Tastes like raspberries and alcohol. Not sour like in the smell, a bit sweet, rather The high ABV doesn't mask it's presence so well likein the Raison D'Extra.

M:Medium body, more carbonation than I expected.

D: About a drinkable as a 18% ABV beer can be.

The world's strongest fruit beer is another good offering from Dogfish Head.

02-17-2007 01:11:36 | More by milesfan76
lordofthewiens

2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

A 750ml bottle, with bottled on 11/13/06 stamped on the bottle. Poured into a tulip glass, it's a beautiful beer: red/orange color, a thin head. Obvious raspberry aroma. The difficulty arose with the taste. Raspberry definitely there, but also a pronounced alcohol taste. Very harsh. The label says "should age with the best of 'em". I'll buy a couple more bottles and try that, because this isn't a drinkable beer in it's present state.

02-11-2007 23:59:44 | More by lordofthewiens
roughsax

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%

This is actually my second tasting. Both bottled on 11/13/06. 1st purchased from Total Wine and sampled 12/23/06. 2nd from Wine & Beer Westpark and sampled 1/27/07. Both times poured in to a wine glass.

A- amber red-orange, thin white head, little lacing.

S- raspberry of course, alcohol, sweet malt.

T- sweet raspberry, hot alcohol on my first tasting, not as hot one month later. fruity, sweet malt, honey.

M- thin to medium body, good carbonation.

D- This beer needs to age. Scores would have been higher with age imo. Not syruppy for it's sweetness. The alcohol was too hot on my first tasting, making it tought to drink. On my second tasting, the alcohol was toned down a bit, making it more enjoyable after only 1mos time. No too much raspberry flavor. No tartness like a framboise. This would be a good aperitif or sub for dessert wine. I'm putting a third bottle aside for another year or so. It should be great by then.

01-29-2007 19:00:21 | More by roughsax
drseamus

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

This was served from a 750ml bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter. It was bottled on 11/13/06 and consumed on 1/24/06. It pours a beautiful red color with a very thin off white head that dies quickly. It smells more like wine than beer actually. Behind the strong winey smell is a slight raspberry aroma. I forgot while I was first drinking it that it is 18% alcohol, but in retrospect that explains the taste well. It reminds me of port wine, but is less sweet and slightly hotter. The raspberry flavor is only present in the background. This is a very light bodied beer. I'm not sure whether I like this beer or not. I suppose for 18% ABV, the hotness is to be expected in such a light beer, but it does make it slightly hard to drink. The flavor behind the hotness is good though, and if you're looking to get drunk, this will work. I have a second bottle that I am going to let age for at least a year and try it again. I expect that some of the hotness will be gone by then.

01-25-2007 04:15:18 | More by drseamus
jameaterblues

4.45/5  rDev +20.9%

One bottle shared among friends: this review is from notes.

This bottle was brewed in 2005.

A-Light amber with a slight dark purple and ruby tint. 1/4 inch head with big white rings of lace.
S-Big sweet malts, ripe red fruit (raspberry of course)...light alcohol, fruity yeast, and this beer really opens up as it warms.
T- Sweet raspberry balanced by alcoholic bitterness...light floral hops, and light raspberry and light alcohol in the finish .
M/D- Delicious and well balances. Strong and thick...not overly sweet....medium bodied, bubbly and very complex....a bottle I would definitely purchase again even at the $19 dollar price tag.

01-24-2007 21:55:12 | More by jameaterblues
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

Purchased in February 2006 and aged for 11 months.

This beer poured out a slightly hazy light amber, with a fast, loud fizzy head. It died away to nothing rather quickly... not surprising given the ABV.

The aroma was of strong sweet raspberries, and not much else. Although the aroma was potent, I could not detect any alcohol.

The taste started out slightly bitter, followed by a quick burst of raspberry flavor, followed by medium bodied malts and fizziness. The aftertaste was sweet. Although I was going to be drinking the whole bottle, apart from about 3 ounces, by myself, I decided that I would give my all to the experience. So I took a full mouthful swallow, to see if any more nuances would come out. And they did... much more raspberry flavor along the back of the tongue on the swallow.

Mouthfeel was full, but a little cloying.

Drinkability... only average. The strength of this beer keeps it from being an easy drinking beer.

01-23-2007 03:08:14 | More by connecticutpoet
MrHurmateeowish

Maine

1pint, 9.6oz brown bottle from Ron's in Farmington. Slightly murky yet translucent red-orange body with less than an inch of off-white head. Smells fruity, like berries, though not necessarily as raspberry-like as one might expect. Tastes berry-like with just a little alcohol warming on the finish. While it's medium bodied and definitely a sipper, it's not a syruppy or overwealming as I expected. Very drinkable considering the alcohol strength. Not bad. Not something I'd get all the time, but well-done.

01-21-2007 23:59:32 | More by MrHurmateeowish
shivtim

Georgia

2.38/5  rDev -35.3%

Clearish orange/pink, like a dark apple juice with a small white head. Nose is some fruit but I can't place my finger on it... oh wait, raspberries... and more raspberries. Then add another handful of 'em. Taste is like raspberry vodka, lots of alcohol. It's actually not bad at first, kind of like strong slightly malted raspberries, but the aftertaste is extemely alcoholic and tart. Mouthfeel is average, drinkability is hurt by both the taste and the ABV.

01-14-2007 05:18:29 | More by shivtim
dherling

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured out a reddish orange brown color, with a thin white bubbly head. The nose is raspberry, alcohol, some slight floral notes, honey, malt. The taste is honey, raspberry, fruit, alcohol, fig, stone fruit. Has a medium body mouthfeel, the alcohol bites you. I wonder what this would taste like aged another 10-15 years. This is a better beer than the ratings reflect.

01-14-2007 02:37:05 | More by dherling
drotski

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured a wildflower honey color. Minimal white head, with minimal lacing. This was expected, given the high alcohol content, and the fact its a fruit beer.

Smelled of raspberry and wine. Undertones of vodka. Smelled very nice overall, the alcohol was forgivable due to the alcohol content.

Taste was of raspberry, sweet wine, and alcohol. Are there hops there? Any malt? For a fruit beer, this was however great. I like fruit beers fruity.

Mouthfeel was alright. A little thin.

Very drinkable, if you like strong drinks, and you hold your alcohol well. It would be better if the alcohol was cut back a bit. But then again, this is DFH, so rock on.

01-08-2007 03:23:30 | More by drotski
Alkey

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

25.6oz. bottled on 11/19/06.
I picked up two of these, one to try now and the other to age a bit. This fresh bottle poured a sun burst red with orange highlights very little head and no lacing to speak of. The smell is pretty much all raspberries. The taste follows with lots of raspberries up front and alcohol warming in the finish. The mouth feel is lightly carbonated and thickens up the more it warms. I shared a glass from this bottle and could easily drink the rest but I do not see myself turning to this again until I try my aged bottle. With that said its not one of my favorite styles to drink but I could easily recomend it to another as it is a quality brew.

01-07-2007 04:07:00 | More by Alkey