Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
2.68/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured a fizzy, orangy pink appearence, bubbles but no head - though it did leave somelacing. First impression is the 18% - yup, you can certainly tell its there - each and every one of the 18%, for sure. This is like a harsh and potent raspberry syrop that really burns. Raspberries seem authentic but not sweet, and the beer is honestly too pinsing and drowned out with alcohol to make it any way fruity. Aroma did evolve sniff to sniff though. Can't find any hops. Liquere like, actually very reminscent of a cognac and became continuously so as it warmed. Syropy and an alltogether different fruit beer. Perhaps slightly enjoyable (in a small dosage) but overall, flavours are scraped out by this burning cognac taste and mouthfeel is void of any finish or aftertaste. Where does this stand? Nothing in any way completes this beer. Couldn't tell you how this one would age, but I wouldn't be willing to try it. A neat one for sure, though I wouldn't revisit I was very happy to try - big thanks to northyorkSammy!

This beer seemed to hit the head more than it hit the tastebuds. A beer of this strength is hard done by to have any grace, and it doesn't.
Like other DogFish Head products, they've crafted this creative, over-the-top beer that I appreciate more for it's quality and creativity, than I do enjoy it for it's taste.

biegaman, May 25, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

From time to time I get the chance to try the exotic, and Dogfish head stuff is usually pretty out there.
I was impressed by the look, smell, and taste. While a little fruity, it was still pretty good. It's difficult to describe exactly, but imagine a heavy hefeweizen with strong fruit-like undertones.
While I liked the taste, the moment the beer got to my stomach something said 'stop.' I felt that beer much more than I tasted it, and couldn't finish a whole glass. It wasn't just the high alcohol content either, the stuff was just too heavy for me. If you're into very heavy beers, and very fruity beers, the Fort is your dream. If not, though, take in small doses. This is definitely a sipper to be shared with a large group of people.

DrunkPagan, May 24, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

Bottle: Poured a clear light copper color ale with a very small head with little retention. Aroma of sweet raspberry is pleasant enough but the burning alcohol kind of ruin it for me. Taste is quite sweet with some raspberry presence thought not as much as I would have expected (since the label mentioned ‘’over a ton of raspberry’’ I was thinking New Glarus Raspberry style). Alcohol is way too hot for my liking and body is a bit thin. Overall, this is a way too expensive fruity malt liquor.

Phyl21ca, May 24, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

Bomber. Good raspberry aroma and tehre is raspberry taste, strongly malted and biting including candy sugar. Malt liquor 18%. Orange with a nice moderate head and lace. Dry and strong comcomitantly. Thinnish body, good ingredients, Had it four years later on tap, and better, mire fruitiness, bitterness, and liked the lace in appearance.

Sammy, May 23, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

Bottled 11/28/05

Saved this beer for my birthday, and it was worth it. Poured a reddish-copper, with a thin but well-retained head. Lots of bubbles, like a champagne, and a great stack of lace as the glass emptied.

Smelled predominantly of raspberries, vanilla and sweet spices. A buoyant and thankfully not-too-sweet aroma.

Flavors: excellent depth. There's a small liqueur-type bite, but at 18% ABV, the alcohol is hidden pretty well. Amidst the fruity, pungent, spicy essence is a veneer of wild yeast, all of that offsetting what could've been a too-sweet concoction, but what turned out to be a nicely balanced, complex, intriguing drink. Raspberries, yes. But there's a lot more going on here, especially in terms of spiciness and the full-bodied, kinda wild essence given off by the yeast.

Mouthfeel was full of fizz, yet held a round, heavy, somewhat glaze-y heft.

Despite the high alcohol, this went down extremely well. A beguiling, intriguing brew. What is this exactly? (besides another amazing Dogfish Head invention.) Pricey, which limits drinkability, but well worth the experience, at least once.

Metalmonk, May 20, 2006
3.68/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Pours a hazy red peach colored body with a bit of a head that hangs around and leaves some splashy lacing

Smell: Raspberry puree and alcohol

Taste: Swirling this around in my mouth, I pick up a lot of sweet, but not cloying raspberry flavors that build in tartness by mid-palate; after the swallow, it brings forth a bit of alcoholic warmth

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Tasting the 2011 version (with about 8 months of age), I enjoyed it much more than the first one that came out back in 2006; still, this is a beer that would do much better in a 12 oz. bottle - this is just not a beer that can be enjoyed in quantity

brentk56, May 15, 2006
2.8/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a sort of off color dark orange with a clean white head. sort of soda-like carbonation.
Aroma has a nice undercurrent of red berries with some corn-like malt liquor and medicinal notes. Raspberry puree notes pick up as it warms a bit, pleasant.
Flavor is simply hot alcohol with a dash of raspberry. Get no hops bittering or floral notes at all. Simply an grain alcohol or malt liquor with a splash of raspbeery and it actulaly becomes more alcholic as it warms. Almost unpleasant
Mouthfeel is "hot" sort of sacchiriny sweet that eliminate any tart fruit flavor and just focuses on sweet alcohol.
Drinkability is disappointing. This may need some serious aging but I'm not sure that is going to do the trick. End result was simply an alcoholic malt liquor with some raspberry flavoring added. Nyquil comes to mind. Very disappointing.

CRJMellor, May 12, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thank you to ILOVESTOUTS for sending a great brew.
Poured a burnt amber orange with minimal head. Aroma was very mild, some raspberries, spices, and slight alcohol. Flavor was very mild, with some raspberry, candi sugar, malt and alcohol. I was skeptical from the other ratings but I thought it was very good.

Boolshot, May 07, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

Shared a bottle poured into snifters at the DFH pub.

This beer pours up real nice the color is rich dark and inviting. Medium head that fades quickly. Not much to talk about there.

The aroma of this beer was brilliant. The Raspberry lover will want too sniff between every sip.

Taste is of sweet raspberry and alcohol. At 18% it is over powering and takes away from what could have been. Alas...Yet another noble effort gone awry by the way of the Young Turks.

Mouthfeel is average for high end beers, almost full body.

Too bad the finish is not better is could have been an exquisite desert beer.

If they keep working on this beer, the way of our abbey monks in München, say 300-400 year they may have it perfected.

This beer is a fine extreem offering, the score is a good one. Just not my taste. MK

MuenchenerKindl, May 02, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +17.7%

Pours with the color of white zinfadel with a full white head. Lots of sticky lacing. The aroma is full of raspberries with some vanilla and a little oak. The vanilla is there in the taste too, backing up all of the raspberries. Also noticing a slight spiciness and maybe some candi sugar too? Champagne-like mouthfeel. Very drinkable. As my wife and I aren't too excited by champange, a couple of these will be stuck back for special occasions. This would be great with a chocolate dessert or maybe some fruit.

nvsblman, Apr 23, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -17.1%

Overall, this beer was just o.k. The least attractive aspect of this beer is its aroma. It falls somewhere in between flinstones vitamins and robitussin. The raspberry scent comes through slightly, but the alcohol overpowers everything. Pours a nice pinkinsh amber with minimal head. The flavor of the rasperries is faint, but pleasant. There is a nice malt profile and some hops, but the flavors are dominated by the alcohol. I understand what they were going for with this beer, and I love big beers as much as the next BA, but this particular brew could probably benefit from a lower ABV, just to let some of the other flavors shine through.

seedee17, Apr 21, 2006
3.68/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours straw color with a slight reddish tint. Smell shows a slight hint of the rasberries that are used in the beer. Taste has hints of rasberries with some hops and malt, but the alcohol taste also plays a big roll. Warming feeling in your stomach after drinking. Feels good in the mouth and is surprisingly drinkable for such a strong beer.

gosurfobx, Apr 20, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

From the 750ml bottle, this is a slightly reddish copper, with a big, airy head that nearly fills the rest of the wine glass I pour it into. The bouquet is a strong, but not overwhelming, rush of raspberries. The flavor too is dominated by raspberry, but there is also a distinct flavor of alcohol that pushes through in each swig.

I like the restraint of the raspberry flavor--overall this brew isn't too sweet--but I do wish that there were some second element to the flavor profile that gave this brew more variety. Once the raspberry dissipates toward the back of the mouth, the alcohol is all that's left and it's residual metallic taste isn't that pleasant.

This is an ambitious and flawed beer. I wonder if DH will continue to tweak the recipe with any future batches of this...the idea of such a strong fruit beer, with a complex palate is great. Now they've just got to work on the second part of that.

benito, Apr 16, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

I guess you can't really fault the appearance since it's 18% alcohol by volume, but the head doesn't stick around real long and there's little lace. The aroma is nice and the mouthfeel is good, but despite the fact that they use real raspberries, there's an extract character to the flavor. That might be coming from the alcohol, however, as it's quite obvious. DFH has made better beers, and I expected a lot more from this one.

NeroFiddled, Apr 15, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a bright golden with pinkish hues. Thin white head with a thin foamy lacing clinging to the side of the glass.

S - Sweet pilsner malt, sour/tart raspberry. Malt is more pronounced than raspberry.

T - Sweet malt to start, hint of bittering hops in the middle with a tart raspberry finish. Framboise like but with a stronger hint of alcohol and more malty.

M - Tight little bubbles. Crisp and clean with a medium to full body.

D - Decent fruit beer but not overly impressed. Nicely balanced but a hint of cough syrup.

brewcrew76, Apr 15, 2006
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I found this beer to be quite enjoyable, not multi-dimensional by any means, but the raspberry succulence more than made up for the lack of malt character. A bigger malt body and mouthfeel would be nice, but I was impressed by the fruit character (which was lush and authentic) in both the aroma and flavor. I thought the alcohol was well hidden as well, making for a pretty enjoyable experience.

Crosling, Apr 13, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

When I saw a few 25 oz. bottles of this stuff on the shelf, I felt compelled to grab one. Hype or not, this beer demanded a test drive. Poured into a wine glass a crystal clear medium amber, forming a short fluffy head that never completely went away. The bubbles float slowly to the surface from start to finish, foreshadowing the thickness of this beer. The first component of the aroma I notice is a lightly malty, sweet alcohol --almost like champagne or a sweet white wine. The second is raspberries, but not terribly large in the forefront and not too sweet. The taste is strong, winey, and complex. Yes, it tastes sort of like a beer, but it tastes more like a chardonnay. In addition to the sour raspberry flavors, there are hints of pears, grapes, and the banana fruitiness of wheat malt. The mouthfeel is unsurprisingly thick and very fizzy. There's also a prominent heat.

I like Fort, and despite reading a lot of the hype (and anti-hype), its flavor is a surprise to me. It may be something that I only try once, or at most grab on a rare occassion, but it is definitely worth picking up. Like many Dogfish products, it makes for a perspective-widening beer experience.

copasetic, Apr 09, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +14.1%

I generally don't do the fruit beer thing but if DFH jumps in the game I am willing to play. Appearance is a cloudy amber with a big white head. Smell is great,exploding of sweet rasberries and taste mimics the smell. Drinkability is amazingly high as the 18% alcohol is so well hidden its tough to believe till you finish a bottle. If DFH wanted to challenge the malt beverage market they could throw this in 6 packs and take them down quicker than glass joe.

WeymouthMike, Apr 09, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

on a dogfishhead kick lately apparently :), doesnt bother me!!!

A - this DFH offering pours a golden orange color with a full head of 2 fingers, it is thick and pure white, a very healthy head that fizzes and sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies

S - wow, a deep berry aroma, like whiffing a jar of raspberry jam, has a slight but obvious alcohol kick to the redolence

T - very very sweet, but not ad nauseum, a little too much alcohol in the flavor, could use a little more hoppiness to mask the ABV, still a good flavor

M - smooth with a slight alcohol bite

D - moderate, would be better with an ABV closer to 10-12%

sinstaineddemon, Apr 04, 2006
3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

I have read much about this fruit bomb, of sorts, and have waited patiently to acquire one. I finally happened to obtain one, and tonight, I drink. I must say, this poured a much different colour than I had anticipated. A cloudy orange with no sediment ( I expected a little) and a thick, almost glue-like snow white fluffy head that subsided to a thin white haze in about 90 seconds. Thick, sticky lacing clings tightly to the sides of the glass. The smell is F~R~U~I~T!!! ....and little else. Surprisingly, at 18%, there is nearly no alcohol present in the smell. It is also important for me to tell all who read this that I am also consuming / reviewing this at about 41F (approximately 6C), quite cold indeed. I'm sure as this warms, the smell of alcohol with surley become more evident. The easiest way for me to describe this, would be to dump a framboise lambic and about 2 shots of Stolichnaya vodka into a glass. The musty "dank basement smell" is there, just like in a lambic or a saison. The raspberry is about all your taste buds get for about half a second; very pleasant. As the liquid washes over the back of your tongue and you actually swallow it, there is no mistake about it, this stuff is HOT!! 18%? You bet!! Every bit of it!! It isn't unmanagable, especially if you're expecting it, but it is certainly intense. The mouthfeel is heavy. Very heavy. Actually...it's syrupy. "It's a big beer", just doesn't quite capture it for this one... Because of the abv and unparalleled weight / syrup like body (for the style) I gave drinkability a 2.5. This one 750mL is plenty, and it'll be quite a daunting task for me to finish this by myself tonight...I'm sure I'll sleep like a log. If you do happen to get the chance to try this one out, go for it. I promise it's unlike anything you've likely every had.
Blessed Be
-SS

SilentSabre, Mar 23, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -9.5%

The beer pours an amber color with a 1/2" white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a very strong alcohol scent that boasts of sour raspberries and not much else. It's not as inviting as a lambic or regular fruit ale. The taste is good. It has a smooth raspberry flavor, but it goes down real slow and warm. This is a beer to be savored not rushed through. I appreciate the concept, but where is the line in the sand. Dogfish Head keep making these high alcohol numbers that are hard to enjoy because they are too damn intense. The original lineup is flavorful and highly drinkable, because the alcohol is kept in check. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a full bodied beer with less than adequate carbonation. This is a cool concept beer, but so are most of my homebrews. The problem is, I'm the only one who enjoys drinking them.

WesWes, Mar 22, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Hmm? I have been searching for this for 4 months. When I finally found the 'holy grail' I have been searching for I paid $20 for one bottle. Hundreds of dollars/time hours later I EXPECTED to be freakin BLOWN AWAY! I was NOT! Does this mean I was disappointed? I don't know. I guess so. Maybe I was only disappointed because of all the hype this beer received as the 'strongest fruit beer in the world’. It was good but I am afraid it did not live up to all that hype.

The beer was an attractive color, but certainly more clear than I expected. It was quite coppery. A careful pour yielded a very small head. The smell was very yeasty. The taste was quite bready, a bit sour/tart, and definitely subtle raspberry. I was expecting more raspberry and less yeast. A bit of the 18% ABV shows through but remarkably little alcohol for the high ABV. So this is a pleasant drinkable beer but for the price and size of it... I was expecting quite a bit more. Bummer!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Mar 19, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +20.4%

The beer upon its emancipation from the 750ml brown bottle, resides in the glass a limpid rusted orange with bountiful creamy light tan head that slowly erodes leaving a velum like coating of lace upon the glass. Nose is saturated with raspberries, sweet at the front but a nice tart tangy tones at the back, quite a sniffer this beer, start is sweet with a tangy twang as it hits the back of your palate, the grain profile delectable and the top middling its feel. Finish is staunch in its acidity, the hops enjoyable with a bit of alcohol bite at the very end, quite dry and a real tummy warmer, what a treat on St. Patrick’s Day as I sit here listening to Elmore James, and relax from a long week of drudgery.

Gusler, Mar 18, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From a 750 bottle on 3/11/06.

This pours a nice reddish/amber with a HUGE head that took some time to dissipate, leaving a lacy foam covering all the way down the side of the glass and not much else once it finally dissapated comepletely . Nice raspberry aroma with a hint of hops in the background. Overall a very subtle aroma. I thought this looked better than it tasted at first blush but it grew on me considerably over time. The hops were more prevalent in the flavor than they were in the smell but the alcohol came through more than anything else. Mouthfeel was not as heavy as you might expect out of an 18% ABV beer and it was also suprisingly drinkable considering the punch.

I wish this had come bottled with a cork because I'd like to put about half of it back in the fridge for another session. Too bad for me.

nflmvp, Mar 12, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

The beer was poured from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a very deep rubyesque coppery coloration. The head was about two fingers thick and quickly resolved into a ring of foam. Specks of lacing remain behind on the glass.

Smell: The smell of Raspberry Fields go on forever. Dam this beer is loaded with tart raspberry goodness mixed with a wonderfully biscuity smell.

Taste: The taste is as the smell. There is a ton and a half of raspberry goodness ontop of biscuity goodness. The beer comes off as raspberry tea with bourbon and crumpets.

Mouthfeel: The beer is way full bodied. There is a lot of tight carbonation that helps loosen up this beer bomb.

Drinkability: For 18% this is one drinkable beer treat. The alcohol is present in smell, taste and mouthfeel; however, the alcohol is in no way offensive. This is a very drinkable beer treat overall. I have one in the cellar that I will try in 2 to 5 years.

nlmartin, Mar 11, 2006