Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

I have had this fresh on tap at the brewery, a bottle about 6 month old, and most recently a bottle that was a little over a year old. I can definitely attest to this beer getting better with age.

I shared this bottle at the first Central Ohio beer tasting. Love the label. 12/2009 bottling.

The beer is a mild amber color, mostly clear. Not much head but we weren't in a rush to take a full pour of a beer so strong.

The smell has really opened up on this with some age. Some were complaining of the booziness, but for a beer of 18% you've got to expect that, no matter how well hidden it is. Still, I felt that the alcohol had mellowed nicely in one short year, I can see why some hold onto this for 5+ years.

Lots of raspberry and blackberry notes can be found in the aroma. The fruit is sweet and ripe, with a moderate sting of alcohol on the finish.

The taste is certainly hot, but tart raspberries distract the palate from the alcohol well. Sweet with a nice warming deep in the throat.

Ultimately this beer is very hot no matter how you slice it. I went into this bottle expecting exactly that, and wasn't disappointed with the beer. If you go into it thinking that 18% abv will somehow be masked completely you're not going to like this. Despite the alcohol, this is most definitely not undrinkable. A fine sipper that I wish we had more time to appreciate at our tasting. Not a beer to rush through.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a cloudy amber, with hints of darker reds. Head is wispy and hugs the sides of the glasses.

Smell is fruity sweet, and slight alcoholic warmth hits the nostrils.

Taste is very fruity. Raspberries dominate the palate, while alcohol burn climbs as you drink. Hops are strong but accent the spice brought on by the ABV.

The sweetness gets sticky after a while and begins to take away from the complexity of the taste. Not an easy one to quaff, but tasty nonetheless.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Opened this to celebrate my birthday with 3 very special friends. Yeah, it was 2 am and we were already in high spirits. But even we could recognize that this "beer" is the holy grail of raspberry beverages. My notes have the following writ large:

Fort. What is? Raspberry. Sweet. Booze.

And that really sums it up. But for those wanting more, here ya go.

Fort is: Orange-red. Not quite clear. I think I saw little bits of raspberry seed in the beer. Wouldn't put it past 'em.

Fort is: A massive blow to the nose of fresh raspberry syrup and tons of alcohol. Take 3 pounds of raspberries, puree 'em, add a pound of sugar, a handle of vodka, reduce in a pan and you'd have something that *might* smell like what Dogfish has done with their Fort. Then again it could be horrible.

Fort is: A sugary sweet fruit bomb. Tart, but alcoholic in the extreme. Tough to drink much of. Approach it as a fruit liqueur like Chambord and you'll do alright.

Fort is: An absurdly over the top fruit beer experience. I don't use the word experience lightly. You simply must try this beer on a special occasion. A cool early morning on a porch overlooking the mountains in North Carolina worked for us, but you have to find your own inspiration.

*** October 2009 edit***

Had a 3 year vertical in the same mountains again recently. 06, 07, 08. The consensus is that Fort DOES mellow out nicely with age - the 06 and 07 were quite similar, but the eldest had less booze heat (still quite a bit) and was much more approachable. Would score the 2006 vintage a solid 4.0 as of October 09. I'd recommend aging it for at least a year unless you like your fruit beers excessively boozy. I'm not sure what it says about us that we drank 3 Forts in one weekend... I hope good things!

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle year 2009.

Pours a clear amber color with some red/orange highlights. Tiny particles stuck in suspension keeping this from being totally clear in appearance. Includes a nice cap of white foam with good retension supported by continual bubbles of carbination. Decent amount of lace clings all around the glass, spotty at times when swirled but a solid curtain of white lace after taking slow sips. Aroma is similar to a fruity raspberry juice but with a very noticable alcohol presence blended with malt. Taste is tart and fruity with a tiny bit of sweetness but regardless of a colder than ideal serving temperature, the alcohol is quite dominating. The alcohol really takes center stage in this beer with all the other characteristics just playing a minor role in the background. It is a very, very warming beer and has quite the astringent alcohol taste. Body of this beer feels quite light but that might be a false impression because of the high alcohol that seemingly partially evaporates if you don't swallow fast enough. This beer leaves a lingering taste of the raspberry in your mouth coupled with a bit of hop bitterness.

I would also like to note that the alcohol in this beer shares a strikingly similar smell and taste to what is found in the DFH 120 IPA. I know it sounds weird but I really picked up on this right away. I don't think it is just the fact that both beers share an 18 or higher percent volume of alcohol, there is just something very similar in the alcohol taste and smell with each.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Thanks to Eric for opening this up.

Pours tangerine golden with a small white head.

The aroma is dominated by sweet, sugary raspberries and alcohol. There are a small amount of citrus hops present. This has quite a potent aroma. The taste is strong, pungent raspberries. It's very sweet and the alcohol is very strong. I was drinking this and thinking that the alcohol was abnormally strong, and then I saw the ABV and it made sense. This is reminiscent of a carbonated raspberry mead. Considering the 18%, the ABV is actually decently hidden.

Light - medium bodied with a low level of carbonation and a viscous mouthfeel. This is definitely the strongest fruit beer I've ever had. The strength and sweetness knocks the drinkability down, but this is an interesting beer that's worth a try.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

Reddish/pink lemonade pour. Not much going on in the foam or lacing departments.

Smells like a raspberry kids drink, but highly alcoholic. Like a boozy juice box. Sign me up.

Flavor is pretty much along those same lines. Smooth, sweet raspberries, with a hot, somewhat numbing finish. Booze is very apparent, though I wouldn't have guessed 18%.

Smooth, syrupy texture. Leaves a light tickle in the back of the throat. Hard to drink more than about four ounces of this one, but it's still enjoyable. I was pleasantly surprised that this was a fairly simple (well, as simple as an 18% raspberry beer can be) Dogfish Head offering...I was expecting something much more, off-center I guess, but that was not the case.

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery