Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

FortFort

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

ABV varies from 15-18%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

Tangerine tones, clear, nearly, tea-like...under an adequate whitish head, soon to diminish...lovely look, though...

Sweet in the nose, large and in charge fruit, raspberry tart, but not too loud, shining cassis, as well...beautiful berries...very nice...

Tastin'...lovely, thick, big and bold....framboise on steroids, to be cliched...slick alcohol sneaks in...yum, but...booze staves off drinkability a tad...yum, raspberries, ...whoop, big fat booze... is it better than a Lindeman's? ...it's boozier, that's for sure...

Definitely tasty, throughly well crafted...just too boozy.

Yum, I say, as I am wont to say...

delish...if oversized...yummy-yum.... (671 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

This eighteen percenter from 11/10/06 looks like a dark belgian stained red. It's a dark crimson in color with no head. It barely allows light to pass through. It smells of a dark belgian, rich, yeasty, tart from the raspberries, and of smooth alcohol. It drinks pretty thick. It's a flavorful medium bodied. It's very sweet, very tart, and full of alcohol but it all mixes well together. This one is a great beer done well. Not too shabby for the supposed most alcoholic fruit beer in the world. (496 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

Enjoyed on-tap at the Dogfish Brewpub in Rehoboth Beach.
Served in a snifter as an apricot colored beer with scant head.
Smell is very fruity with very strong berry notes.
Taste is of berries without being too sweet. It really is a great taste and the alcohol only slowly arises as the beer warms.
Leaves a nice berry taste in the mouth without the sweetness that you would expect.
As drinkable, almost too drinkable, as you can get for an 18% beer. I was surely aware of it the next morning.
My wife an I toured the brewery the next day and picked up a bottle for New Years Eve. I will see how that compares to the on-tap version. (632 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

This beer is apparently the world's strongest fruit beer. It has over a ton of Oregon and Delaware raspberries that were closed in, slowly, over a 2 month primary fermentation. It poured a beautiful deep red with a hint of orange. It smelled like sour raspberries and alcohol. It tasted sour and tart- huge raspberry flavor, malt, a bit reminiscent of a cordial. There is definitely a warming from the alcohol in this one, but it is 18% after all. This is my type of dessert! It is definitely one of my top favorite beers that I have ever tried, but I am partial to sours and raspberries. (588 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +15.4%

Plenty of mixed reviews on this one. Mine is a two year old sample, bottled on 11/28/05...
Appears an orange toned amber with a 2 finger, foamy, white head that quickly fades into a mild cap and collar. At first pour, there are a few floaters in there. Upon closer inspection, they are a few stray pieces of seperated raspberry puree complete with seeds.
Smell is remarkable and addictive from the first inhale. Notes of ripe raspberries, and freshly baked rhubarb pie with strawberries. Very intriguing and delightful.
Taste is that of an after dinner cordial that's been infused with ripe raspberries, caramelized sugar, and freshly cut strawberries.
Mouthfeel...I was expecting an over the top alcohol bomb judging by other reviews but I found this to be just the right amount of warmness to compliment the sweetness. I could compare this to some of the better Tawny Ports I've had. Save it, sit on it for a few years, drink it on a special occasion after dinner with some chocolate truffells, or creme brulee. (1,014 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes on 11/28/09. Thanks to my buddy Kyle for this early Christmas present!

A - poured burnt sienna orange with a short lived 1/2" head that became a sparse sing. Somewhat cloudy, but very rosy. Pretty! 3.5

S - Raspberries, hint of marachino cherries, lots of sweet caramel malt, lots of alcohol. It's like BAM, right in your nose! 4.5

T - Immensely boozy but a ton of raspberries and malt backbone. Lots of caramel and a hint of spiciness. A sweet dessert beer indeed. 4.5

M - Lovely and velvety. Pretty good carbonation, could use a touch less. Medium bodied. 4.0

D - Obviously very boozy. A sipper. 3.5 (623 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +15.2%

This pours a beautiful clear orange/red copper color with a large 2 finger white foamy head. One of the best looking I've ever seen. The smell has a real earthy."bisquity", aroma to it along with a hefty scent of rasberries. The taste has a large rasberry presence,naturally, with a a fare amount of hops and a yeast flavor that reminds me of a rasberry tort. Interestingly there is not a big alcohol flavor. There is some warming,but not what you would think. The m/f is medium with very well balanced flavors. This is a very good beer and the best fruit beer I've ever had,but I wish Dogfish Head listed the alcohol content on the bottle. I also think this should be served in a smaller bottle,or a resealable bottle. (719 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +14.9%

(A) Very Pink in color and actually changed in color as it was being poured. There was absolutely no head retention at all due to the high alcohol percentage. (thanks andy)

(S) Smell was awesome. Very strong and coud smell the fruit more than anything. Great Aroma!

(T) Simply Fantastic! I can taste the alcohol in it but the fruit flavor still overwhelms. Best fruit beer in a while!

(M) Very light mouthfeel. It left a slight film along my palate but the flavor still lingered after swallowed.

(D) A very drinkable beer! Best fruit beer I have had in a while. Would drink a whole bottle in one setting if it would kill me! (628 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2011 bottle - it's been way too long since i last had this (2010).

a nice clean light amber pour with 2 fingers of head which diminished slowly and left behind a nice frothy lacing. smells of port wine barrels, raspberries, caramel. the flavor is VERY sweet, tons of raspberry, a huge alcohol warmth is a bit overwhelming but goes down smooth after the first few sips. lots of caramel, berry, wine barrel on the end of the palate. full body with low carbonation.. sticky on the lips, very booze heavy and warm.

this is an outstanding beer and i'm sad it hasn't been produced regularly in 2 years now. dfh needs to bring this one back for good, even if it's a small 12oz bottle like 120/wws. (692 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +14.6%

Smells like raspberries... and booze. There's a little wheatiness in there too. Tastes strongly of fruit, raspberries and dates with a strong alcohol burn that will definitely benefit from some age. It is delicious, not quite as good as the one I had on tap at 1702. If I can get my hands on another I'll put it away for a couple years and see what happens. (357 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

Appearance: Amber slightly cloudy look pours with a huge effervescent head cloudy white fluffy leaves massive chunky layers of lace. Aroma: Tart raspberries floud the senses along with bready yeast notes some spicy character over ripened with spicy alcohol fruit notes sugary and tart blend. Taste: Flowing raspberry flavor with a highly alcohol phenol character flowery hop presence with more of the bready yeast and biscuit malt sweetness a bit of a honey raspberry syrup tone. Mouthfeel: Syrupy texture semi-colloidal very coats the palate yet still has a fine carbonation it's hard to explain a strange sensation on the palate for sure medium bodied overall...I guess. Drinkability: Heavy dose of raspberries a ton to be exact helped the natural fruit sugars for fermentation purposes reaching that 18% could be probably be tricky without 'em easy to consume in a mellow fashion to get too relaxation status fine off centered ale, I like it. (945 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

750ml bottle capped and stamped with a date that is too smudged to read. Clear amber orange body with a good sized white head with a very light pink hue to it. Lacing is about what you’d expect for a monster beer like this. Fruity aroma with raspberries standing out as expected. A good bit of sweetness coupled with undertones of booze. Flavor starts with the berries coming out with a solid sweetness and backed by a warming kick of alcohol. A bit syrupy and hints of other fruits come out as it warms. The alcohol definitely kicks in more as this warms but never enough to turn me off from it. Plenty thick body with good amount of carbonation. Surprisingly drinkable stuff as well. DFH definitely knows how to make the monster brews right. (744 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

Picked up a bottle for Valentine's Day for my wife and I. Thought this bottle would bring something extra special due to the price tag. In one way it was but on other levels it was not.

A great label is what caught my eye in the first place along with the champagne bottle. Poured into a flute, this beer was red/pinkish with some very bubbly carbonation and decent head. Head seemed to disipate in the flute and the smell was hints of alcohol and very tart raspberries. By the end of the first glass, my innards were warming up due to the 18% ABV. At first sip I noticed a lot of carbonation on the tongue. Alcohol and raspberries as well. Sweet and tart was too much for me. Hard to find the "beer" factor in this one as hops seemed little to none though I understand the style. After each sip, beer goes down easier with a warming sensation each time. Carbonation seems to have a party on the tongue. Quite drinkable though I doubt my wife and I will try this one again. (977 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured into an oversized wine glass.

An amber-red, quite opaque hue with little to no head, fully as expected. Many appraisals mention a "boozy" note to the aroma, but I did not find this to be especially prevalent; those truly accustomed to barley wines and other high ABV products will find no undue surprises here. Hints of fruit/raspberries are abundantly evident, which are a credit to this product's traditional December distribution schedule - perfect for the holidays.

A medium to full-bodied mouth feel with the anticipated tingle that accompanies a high ABV offering. I strongly encourage you to swish it a bit in order to fully appreciate this. Take a moment to allow the alcohols and fruit content to permeate your palate; I assure you it will be QUITE worth it.

Taste reveals a pleasantly robust raspberry flavor with a nice interaction between the obvious Belgian Ale type base. Pair this creation with a dark chocolate, say an 86% cacao offering as I went with, and you certainly won't go wrong. While I was fortunate enough to pair Fort with a "greasier" poultry, duck, on one occasion, I prefer its interaction with dark chocolate. The raspberry notes and Belgian brewing characteristics virtually beg for an ultra high dark chocolate intensity compliment.

The bottom line? While I acknowledge that I have much to learn, if you seek to become a true beer connoisseur, as I do, appreciate the experience of this product for what it is. Is it the absolute top of the line in the high ABV category? Not yet. Will it deliciously open your mind to the possibilities of what can be accomplished when enlightened minds prevail in the brewing process? Unabashedly, yes! Respect the experience itself, as well as what you're about to get into overall, pair it well and keep an open mind and I guarantee that your "Respect Beer" mantra will be elevated to the quintessential next level. (1,897 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +14%

I didn't really feel like paying the $20 it would have taken to procure a bottle of this...not that I'm adverse to paying $20 for a beer...I just need to know it'll be worth it...and with this I wasn't sure what I'd be getting, being an extremely potent fruit beer. Kind of a contradiction of terms, eh? So when I saw that Tria was offering a glass of this at their Sunday School 1/2 price, that is to say, $4, well I had to stop by on my way home and enjoy it with their particular cheese pairing of the day.

Now having tried it, I must say, Sam and the brewers at DFH have again humbled me. Pours a lighy copper color, a bit bubbly though the carbonation on the palate is quite soft and really suits the amount of alcohol nicely. And speaking of that alcohol level, it amazingly hides itself extremely well. Never in a million years would I have thought this was 18% ABV. A tad warming, certainly, but there's no alcoholic burn to this whatsoever. The flavor is there, but it's mild and is just enough to balance the sweetness of the fruit. The raspberries are lush in the nose, complimented by dry earthy, almost funky lambic qualities.

Raspberry is the dominant flavor, but as I said, the alcohol, which is hardly even noticeable in other "fruit" beers, does have a nice interplay with the tartness displayed up front. Carbonation is lovely. This beer really surprised me, and quite pleasantly at that. I would now shell out the $20 for a bottle, but this is one that begs to be shared, not only because it is quite tasty, but the alcohol level and tartness make it not one to down alone. A very interesting experience and makes for an excellent pairing particularly with the Italian goat cheese I sampled it with, which was also presented with a small amount of honey, which was an even nicer pairing. The sweetness of the honey cut the beer's tartness just perfectly.

All in all, this is certainly one of a kind (due to its strength) and quite the interesting brew. Worth seeking out. (2,002 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

750 ml bottle. 2011 release. Poured into a DFH signature glass

Appearance: Pours a dark amber orange color with less than a finger of an off white head, that dissipates to a thick collar and wispy foam coating. Body is relatively clear with a good amount of visible carbonation

Smell: Tart raspberries, booze, sherry, vanilla, sweet malt and a light Belgian yeast quality.

Taste: Follows the aroma pretty closely with sweet, tart raspberries being the most prominent. Following that are notes of dark fruit, booze, red apple and a caramel like malt. There’s a mild Belgian yeast undertone as well (almost like a Belgian blonde turned WAY up) but is overshadowed by the more assertive flavors.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with a thick, sticky, syrupy mouthfeel and medium levels of soft carbonation. Sweet, but not cloying, with a light raspberry tartness in the finish to balance it out. Not sure of the ABV for this batch, but for an 18-ish % beer, this is dangerously drinkable (but obviously still a sipper).

Overall: This has been a strange, random want of mine for quite a while, so it was nice to finally be able to tick this. With that said, the beer itself was a pleasant surprise as the reviews on this seem to be quite mixed. While it’s not a beer that’s super complex, it is a (REALLY) big ass raspberry beer with big flavors, that accomplishes what it’s going for and (most perhaps most impressively) does it without being a boozy mess. (1,456 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +14%

The appearance is a bit disappointing. Cloudy amber orange, but the fizzy short head dissipates quickly and leaves virtually no lace.

The aroma is expectedly fruity. Light red fruits: raspberry, peach, tart cherry. The raspberry was not as prominent as I'd imagined.

The flavor is of sharp fruit mellowed out by some more base-like malt. Raspberry, wild strawberry, peach, and a nice wine-like quality that helps the brew to hold its character. Heavily fermented fruit. Warms the palate a bit, pleasant.

Smooth and relatively heavy mouthfeel. Lightened up by good carbonation. A bit of a sipper. Nice overall. (620 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thank you to ILOVESTOUTS for sending a great brew.
Poured a burnt amber orange with minimal head. Aroma was very mild, some raspberries, spices, and slight alcohol. Flavor was very mild, with some raspberry, candi sugar, malt and alcohol. I was skeptical from the other ratings but I thought it was very good. (315 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +13.5%

$9 per snifter, on tap now at the Dogfish Head Alehouse in Maryland.

Vibrant reddish hue with no head.

This is the best way I can describe this beer: It starts off tasting/feeling like a raspberry lambic, then halfway through (as you start to swallow) the taste/feel changes to more of a raspberry-flavored wheat beer, and then on the finish, it takes on the syrupy sweet strong-alcohol characteristics of Dogfish's World wide stout, or 120 min IPA. Nice and complex, this beer definitely works in stages.

At 18% alcohol, this beer goes down suprisingly smooth. I suppose most people couldnt have more than 1 glass, but this is a great dessert beer for sipping after your meal, which is what I did. (707 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +13.5%

I had been waiting to try this big fruit beer since I heard it was being released. The beer poured a nice red/orange color with a very vibrant body, almost like champagne. We drank this out of Lindeman's flutes. The aroma of this beer is a very strong, raspberry alcohol smell but pretty please. This reminds me of a wild raspbery liquor from Italy that I have in the house. The taste is very similar to a very bubbly champagne. The first taste you get from each sip is of the pleasant raspberry present but you then get hit with the high abv to remind you that this is a big beer and a DFH beer. I would go back for another bottle but would definitely split it with others. (674 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +13.5%

750 ml bottle with a bottled on date of 11/13/06. Fort pours a reddish/amber color with a half inch off-white head which went away very quickly. It smells fruity, like raspberries, plums, sherry and alcohol. Just pouring the beer into the glass the aroma comes out very quickly. You can definitely taste the alcohol in this brew, it tastes like tart (but not too tart) berries, pears and alcohol (port/sherry). The alcohol does hit you at first, but after a little while it settles down and the warming isn't bad at all. Obviously, more of the flavors comes out as the beer warms up a little bit. There's also a nice sweet fruity aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium/full, with a good amount of carbonation. It's also a little syrupy and dry. Drinkability is very good, considering the 18% ABV. But it's definitely a sipping/dessert beer. The next time I drink one of these, I'm going to split it with someone instead of drinking the whole bottle myself like I just did. Another good, creative effort from DFH. I'd recommend it to others to try at least once. (1,054 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +13.5%

This beer has a decent head and retention for a beer that is so high in alcohol. It's nose is strongly of rasberries with some subtle malts coming through.

This beer is very sweet. I didn't find it overly boozy for 18% alcohol. It was just a beer on steroids. A fault of it is that it is very sweet. A fuckload of sugar had to have been added to make this 18 %

Still a decent brew. I enjoyed it. (398 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +13.5%

This has a been a beer that I have wanted to try for a while, I really do not remember the reason as to why. Poured into a Schlitz goblet at 45 degrees.

Appearance: A two finger head that is ivory in color, creamy and fluffy. The head has really good retention, considering it is a high alcohol brew. The color of the beer is a medium reddish orange color with mahogany tint. The clarity of the beer is clear with a touch of cloudiness. Small carbonation bubble slowly drift from the bottom of the glass. A smart looking beer with a coy smile.

Nose: Surprisingly I smell malts lots of malts, caramel, toast, and biscuit notes. The raspberries come through next offering a fruitiness and sweetness. The alcohol is a supporting actor with an eye on the Oscars. Other aromas in the beer is a slight floral note, yeast, and citrus.

Taste: A big beer with tons of raspberries seeping through the malt and alcohol. The malt is rich complex, toasty, caramel, and biscuit flavor. The raspberries are slightly sweet and fruity. The alcohol stepped up and made the performance of it is life and everybody knows its role. Other flavors is floral, yeast, grass, sour, and citrus.

Mouth feel of the beer is chewy, warm, slight astringent, and carbonated.

Overall: The body of the beer is medium and the finish is medium full. This big body beer is fantastic, but not perfect. The Belgium profile gives the beer a unique style, then mix in the raspberries makes it unforgettable. The alcohol is prevalent, but fairly balanced with the other flavor. I am glad that the raspberries did not get lost in this brew. Wish I had one more to age for a few years, would love to make comparison notes. (1,687 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +13.2%

Gave up after 4 months of cellaring and popped open the 750, served it a bit cooler than usual since I knew the two of us working this would be at it for over an hour with an AbV like this!

Poured into my tulip, a surprising orange colour. Not as red as raspberries made me think, but dark and orange. No head to talk about, but a very clear serum.

Smell is booze! After the first wave hits you, it's raspberries and perfume. Flowery and warm with a surprising characteristic I wasn't expecting - beer! From the description alone, I figured this would be a fizzy bottle of schnapps, but no, the malt is full and expressed, like a very very fine belgian. The yeast even makes a brief appearance in the nose. Fruity, yes, but meaty, too!

The taste is well, boozey. Vodka-boozey. Tart, sweet, hot. The raspberries become more floral if anything, the malt fades back, perhaps becomes more wheatey. Undertones of chalk, chocolate, and perhaps a single, solitary hop or pine needle.

Mouthfeel is only syrupy at times - I think the incredibly sweetness makes you want to describe it as thicker than it really is. Not much carbonation, sadly, but you'll get all the tingles you could want from the burning sensation! As drinkable as you'd expect, and the way the taste changs with the temperature keeps things interesting.

One to try, since I couldn't hope to accurately describe it. Worth the near-twenty dollars, and a good time even if you don't like it. Maybe we should change the term from 'hammered' to 'raspberried'. (1,530 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +12.9%

Look: Dark burnt orange with some ruby/ pink highlights topped off with a 1 finger white foamy head that quickly fades into a ring around the glass.

Smell: Juicy raspberries dominate the nose, alcohol is present.

Taste / Mouthfeel: Sweet raspberries, very juicy upfront followed by pungent warming alcohol, somewhat spicy in the finish. Mouth feel is clean and medium bodied.

Overall: Solid, a good brew to share with friends. I'd like to cellar a couple of these and see if the alcohol calms down a little bit. (516 characters)

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery